Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Orchard White - The Bruery

Orchard WhiteOrchard White

The Bruery visit their website

Witbier |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: DoubleJ on 05-01-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Orchard White Alström Bros
2.1/5  rDev -46%

I greatly like most of what comes out of The Bruery, but after last night's tasting I wish they had retired this one instead of Black Orchard.

Color - This is about the only part of the experience that was pleasing.

Taste and smell - Somewhere between a band-aid and original flavor Listerine.
Carbonation - Lost half this bottle to the counter top with unpleasantness continuing into a prickly mouthfeel. Having never had this experience with any other Bruery beers I presume this is a one off for the batch.

Overall: There are a lot of great wits out there, but this is not one of them. If you are one of the subset of people who really like the band-aid taste I recommend this to you.

As a side note, I hate to start out my reviewing with a negative one, but this really shocked me with how bad it was last night. Fortunately I have several other Bruery beers in the fridge (including a Black Orchard) that I will be reviewing, all of which I've had and greatly enjoyed.

Edit: I had it on tap at The Bruery tasting room and the rating stands. I don't get the love on this one.

2.1/5  rDev -46%

On-tap at Ale+Witch. The brew pours a translucent yellow-gold and is capped with a sparse white film atop. The nose smells very spicy, highly perfumed, and might even be considered nice, as long as it doesn't follow through to the taste: notes of lavender, jasmine, rose and chamomile are quite pungent and lend a huge flowery element to the brew. Uh-oh, 'pon my first sip: revulsion. This tastes like a beer aged on Glade air fresheners; no more need be said. I wonder, looking at the rating, just who exactly really thinks this brew is 'good'? The Bruery's reputation and pricepoints seem to be a factor here, as the beer is just not very good.

2.26/5  rDev -41.9%

Appearance- pours a clear gold with high carbonation. Light for a witbier, not cloudy at all. Big head, but receded quickly.

Smell- The aroma is there though. Reminiscent of your classic wit, the lavender actually really makes itself known as well. Fresh laundry.

Taste- Finding the taste pretty strange. Cider like, big red chewing gum, with some pollen? This is weird.

Mouthfeel- thin, way to much carbonation

Overall- not at all what I was expecting. I will finish this bottle, but don't expect to revisit this ever.

Edit: couldnt even get through half the bottle, scores adjusted accordingly.

2.4/5  rDev -38.3%

My introduction to The Bruery was in the parking lot of Captain Lawrence on a cold February morning a couple of years back, when spacecoyote brought a bunch of them to the Rosso release. This was among the beers he shared, and I finally got to revisit it. $3.99, bargain bin pickup.

A mildly hazy straw yellow with a HUGE, dense, white head that forms a thick collar leaving some lace, this looks appealing. The nose, OTOH, is rather unappealing. A very large floral component is present, with the lavender really strong. I also get sage and coriander, this is sharply spiced with some crystallized ginger as well. The combination of yeast, floral and spices is rather awful, it's mildly garbage juice-like. Strangely, I can't say I pick up any off-flavors, this almost seems like this is how it was designed.

The palate is significantly better. Opening with a moderate pale malt character, there's a blend of biscuit and sweetness, along with the lavender, coriander and ginger notes. Not as pungent as the nose would suggest (and given that I'm drinking this out of my Founders 10th anniversary tulip pint glass, one that doesn't concentrate the aromatics, that's saying something.) Drying and crisp on the finish, it does feel watery while retaining flavors of lavender and ginger. None of the characteristics I look for in a good wit - mild orange peel, coriander and yeast, well balanced - are present here. The oats do temper the crispness that the high level of carbonation would otherwise impart. This just isn't very good. While I could force myself to drink this bottle, I'm not, and I'm going to make it a point to grab a few bottles of the St. Bernardus Witbier next time I can. Not recommended at all.

2.49/5  rDev -36%

A: Pours a golden straw yellow body with a white fizzy head; not long lasting with spotty lacing.

S: A very light and simple nose of grainy malts, lemon, and some spices.

T: Initial flavor is like a lemon, almost Sprite-like, flavor with some notes of wheat, spices, grassy & citrus hops, and a little sour funk. It reminded me of a dry white wine. Not what I think of when it comes to a witbier.

M: Light body; high carbonation; clean and crisp mouthfeel.

O: I'm hoping I had a bad bottle, because I was not overly impressed with this beer. I don't see myself trying this again.

2.54/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a four finger head of slight cream, decent thickness, and okay retention. Colour is a transparent lemon yellow. It's a bit bland looking for a witbier.

Sm: Dirty lemon peel, water, and barley. A moderately strong aroma.

T: Dirty lemon with some strange off-esters. It's a bit floral as well. I don't like the build, but it balances what it has. It's a bit simple, but luckily it avoids being watery. Foundation appears to be grassy straw. Lavender notes intrude where they oughtn't to.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours of the body.

Dr: Low ABV, decent quality, and sold at a fair price for the volume. I didn't find it particularly appealing (especially for the style), but I could certainly see how fans of the style might enjoy this one.

2.65/5  rDev -31.9%

750 mL bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Reno. My first beer from The Bruery. Poured into a wine goblet because, well, that's all I had in my hotel room.

Pours with little head and some minor lacing, strong scent of citrus and lavender, which is very inviting. Unfortunately that's where the compliments end.

The lavender carries over into the taste, which I found downright nasty. This is a white ale, so I wasn't expecting too much, maybe some tartness and a little coriander or mild spice, but lavender dominates the profile, and it was difficult to drink.

I did my best to sip this one with the hope that it would balance out as it warmed, but no dice. I know there are some excellent offerings from The Bruery, but this one was a total letdown. I would not recommend this beer.

2.66/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured this into a tulip. Poured a hazy yellow with a billowy white 3 finger head.

First thing I noticed was the smell of lavender. It was really hard to pick out the other smells as the lavender was right there.

Taste was....lavender...as in an old ladies perfume lavender. Again it was hard for me to pick out any other taste as I felt I was inside a perfume bottle.

Mouthfeel was sharp with heavy carbonation but again I could not get past all the lavender.

If you did not figure it out yet I am no fan of lavender. To me this beer was very overpowering and not enjoyable in the least. Thinking it was just me I shared a glass with Galengeueze who had pretty much the same reaction. I am a big fan of The Bruery but this one really missed the mark with me.

2.71/5  rDev -30.3%

Saw this on tap at Vine Street pub in Denver and had to try it. $4.25 for a pint, not a bad deal, methinks.
Yet, this beer didn't impress me at all. Pours a very light golden, yellow hazy body with a rather large head. Head died down, which I thought was odd given the carbonation on this thing.
Smell is sweet corn and flowers. Some spice, but overall it's not good.
Taste is floral, coriander and corn. Something is wrong here. I've had a couple of beers from The Bruery and this one is the worst. Carbonation can't cover up the sweet, cream corn. Lavender is possibly in there, but hard to find.
I couldn't finish it. If I had a drain, down it would have went.

2.71/5  rDev -30.3%

Pale yellow with a meringue-like white head that keeps coming after a pour. Smells fruity with a bit of lemon and tangerine, but also with a touch of bandaid. The taste has more of the citrus flavor as well as a bit of light graininess. Unfortunately that same bandaid note overlays the rest of the flavors, and that is one of the few flavors I really dislike in a beer. I don't knowif that i a normal note or a contamination in this case, but regardless, this is not an ancient beer and was handled well, so I'm docking points here. Mouthfeel is quite effervescent and crisp- but maybe a touch too fizzy. Could be a good beer, but my experience was marred by the off-tastes.

2.79/5  rDev -28.3%

A - Pours with tons of head (splitting the bottle among 5 filled 5 glasses with beer and head) The color is dead on and also the haze is perfect for the style. We could be talking a 5 if the head stuck a bit more and wasn't so excessive.

S - Has a bit of an alcohol/chemical smell with orange spice and some wheat.

T - The orange peel hits first but once that wears off there is some smells that remind of turkey broth and hints of alcohol which is quite strange for both the style and abv. I can't decide if this is a great example of a new experimental witbier but a relatively bad mistake of a beer.

+1 to the reviewer that said it tastes like his girl's bodywash. He got it dead on.

M/D - Mouthfeel is pretty rough with the hit in the mouth, but also that kills drinkability as well. I'll finish my glass, but it certainly goes down slow.

2.81/5  rDev -27.8%

Did not like this beer that much. I could still drink it, but not good.

The appearance was a sunshine yellow with a big mean frothy white head. The head had great tiny bubbles and left a thick lacing, thus the score.

The smell was of Belgian yeasts, lemon peel, earth, a bit of light flowery incense.

The taste was a mess, belgian yeast with citrus flavors, straw or grass and coriander. The mouthfeel was super super carbonated which raped the tongue with these mediocre flavors. Not a fan.

The mouthfeel, as mentioned above, was overly carbonated where you could tastes some things very strong, and others just a hint.

Had a hard time drinking this whole bottle. Not recommended.

2.82/5  rDev -27.5%

I dont know what to think about this brewery. They have carbonation issues. The first beer I had from them (autumn maple) was flat, this one was too carbonated. Im too upset to review this formally so gonna tell it how I see it....

The first pour was an entire pint of white foam, when it settled down, still a giant head that stays with it... kinda a cloudy golden hoegarden yellow, with no smell due to the immense amount of foam in this beer. Tastes ok. Not much of a taste, but better than a macro. Like packing peanuts, just kinda there....

I give up, no more buying of these beers, I bought this because it was 7 bucks for 750ml, but no more money from me... Now to watch the soup...

2.84/5  rDev -27%

Poured from a large style capped 1 pt 9.4 fl oz (750ml) bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 25, 2010). No freshness date that I can find.

Eyes: Pours a pale golden color with a very fizzy white head. Lots of lively carbonation in the glass which pushes around some of the particulate in there. Similar in activity to sparkling wine. The bottle slowly spews foam after the first pour.

Nose: A lavender punch! I like the smell of lavender, but I can't say that the small of lavender is actually appetizing to me. There is also yeast, citrus, spice, and a bit bready too.

Tongue: Less lavender than the nose thankfully. Some coriander, yeast, and white pepper. Tastes somewhat soapy and sharp. Wet naps come to mind.

Mouth: Chock full of prickly carbonation, too much for me thanks. A bit sour and very sharp, which enhances the spicyness.

Libation: For a premium beer, I'm a bit underwhelmed. There is a whole lot going on here which probably would work in another combination. I'm not sure lavender leading the charge was the way to go. An interesting and complex beer, but maybe too complex for me.

I can't think of many times I've had foods that are made with lavender, and even fewer where lavender is the dominant characteristic. The spices are all good, and all add a good piece to the puzzle, but the mixture doesn't work with my palate.

2.85/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle

A- Capped 750ml bottle. Pours a pale golden yellow color with a fizzy white head.

S- The aroma is wheat and citrus, some tartness, spices and yeast. Well done.

T- The taste is light and a little tart with some bready wheat and citrus with a very dry yeasty finish. My only complaint is the high amount of carbonation that is so high I think it takes away from the taste leaving the aftertaste like a big gulp of club soda.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a ton of prickly carbonation. Maybe a bit too much carbonation for my liking.

D- Overall, I was a little let down by this one. Not bad, but not something I would pick up again.

2.86/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Belgium goblet.

A: Hazy yellow color with a creamy white head that sticks around awhile.

S: Aroma of lavender soap. It's very pretty and fragrant, but that's not what I would expect out of the beer.

T: Orange and lemony fruit flavors with lots of spices -- including lavender.

M: Creamy and well-carbonated. Dry finish.

D: I had to check the label as I wrote this, and sure enough, it does mention lavender on the bottle, although I'm picking it up much more than what I think was intended. I can't say that I've ever used lavender before to describe a beer, and although it makes it interesting to try once, it's not something I'd repeat.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%

A: pours hazy pale yellow with very deep foamy white head. sediment at the bottom of the glass. just how I like my witbiers.

S: yeast, tart, citrus.

T: whoa. not what I expected. found the lemony-citrus punch way over the top with little to no malt balance. lavender was interesting but without the malt I couldn't really appreciate it. not sure if the bottle was bad, but this was just overwhelmingly tart.

M: tad creamy and well carbonated.

D: not out of this particular bottle. might revisit again if I have the opportunity but will not seek this out again.

2.98/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a fizzy, cloudy, yellow with a ton of head. Tons and tons of yeastie floaties swimming around in the beer. The smell is very odd. It reminds me of lavender, like an aroma candle or something. This beer taste like flowers. Not like flowery hops, it tastes like I went to a florist and took a bite out of a huge pot of flowers. It's a fairly clean taste but there's a yeasty off taste near the end that's hard to deal with. I might not be getting the point, but this beer tastes a little bit too much like detergent for me to enjoy.

2.99/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a hazy golden yellow color with some ripe banana hues and some very pale golden yellow notes when held to a light source. Two finger frothy soapy white head that quickly fizzles away into a thin lasting cap. Visible carbonation bubbling up.

Citrus aroma with hints of peppery spice, corriander, bready yeast, orange and lemon peel, lemon zest and subtle floral notes.

Very carbonated up front with a bit of crisp effervescence. Slightly bready yeast body that is still kind of light with a lot od spice and citrus flavor that leads into a slightly dry finish.

Lots of citrus flavor and peppery spice. Tons of lemon juice, lemon zest, corriander, bready yeast and subtle floral notes. The carbonation of this beer kind of takes away from the other subtle flavors. It is not very balanced with a lot of zesty peppery spiciness, citrusy lemon juice and very subtle bread notes.

3.02/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured the 750 ML bottle into a Duvel glass.

The brew pours a golden yellow with chunky white head with some minimal lacing head fades quickly.

The brew has a smell flowers, I am only picking up flowers on this one.

The brew tastes of flowers, maybe some citrus, has a peppery mouthfeel - carbonated to much IMO. Too much floral, almost like I am drinking water fom a vase that holds flowers. Not sure about this one.

The after taste and mouthfeel is not for me, the taste is one of the weaker examples of the style I have had. Its not terrible, as I drink it is better then my initial reaction. But not "case worthy" or worthy of getting again. There are far better examples of this style to go to this one again.

Damn I guess I should have taken the name more literal so I would know what I was in for. I picked it up because of the hype - maybe I was expecting to much. Maybe at some point it will find its way to me again, I just will not seek it out.

As my first time tring something from The Bruery, I am disappointed.

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured into a goblet (I thought I had opened Hottenroth, haha).

3.5 A: Yeast ridden hazy, medium yellow color. Two plus fingers of frothy, but creamy head on first pour. Second pour was very fizzy and the head fell quickly...strange.

3.0 S: Not much going on here. Smells like a weak cup of white tea with just a touch of potpourri.

3.0 T: The taste is fortunately better than the nose, but not by much. Corriander and yeast lends a subtle spiciness, but other than that, taste is quite dull. Neutral wheat, dry, somewhat herbal.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. More carbonation than is needed. Could be creamier.

3.0 D: I like Blue Moon better than this, so there isn't any reason to ever buy this again. I could also buy twice as much Whirlwind for the price. The Bruery makes some good stuff, but this isn't one of them.

3.04/5  rDev -21.9%

Got a 750 ml bottle

The beer poured very foamy at first. It kept it at ~41 F for an hour or so, so I don't think it was at an improper temp. I ended up just pouring it really slow so it didn't foam up too much. The head dissipated really quickly over the cloudy, typically-Witbier appearance.

My first thought was the smell. Earthy, musty, kinda off-putting. I couldn't place my finger on it. My wife said it smelled like Glade- "Smells like a grandmother's bathroom." We hadn't fully inspected the label yet, so when we read closer we saw that it said "a hint of lavender"- oh boy- it's way more than a "hint" of it. If you really put a gun to my head at the moment and asked "Do you think this beer will be good?" my answer would've been "No."

However, we ventured ahead and we were both pretty pleased with the taste. Very floral and fruity. It's kinda dehydrating but very easy drinking. The afteraste doesn't leave the same impression as the initial smell/sip...and that's a good thing.

I'd get this again. I think I paid $10 for it. I can't recall if I'd had anything else from "The Bruery" before but I'm looking forward to trying more.

**EDIT COMMENT: my review "score" placed it as a C+. I'm not gonna change any of the numbers I put in, but I'd consider this a solid, promising "B." Wife said "Ugh...B- for me" and she showed me a Glade ad in a magazine. "Tastes just like this."

3.13/5  rDev -19.5%

I'm starting to feel bad about some of my Bruery ratings. They've produced some of the greatest beers I've ever had, but I just haven't been the biggest fan of some of their regular offerings.

Pours a hazy yellowish goldish white. Smells like ... whoa, spice overload. Coriander? Flowered perfume? Yipes.

Taste is, again spice overload. Some somewhat pungently sour malt, a bit of sweeter citrus, but the spice backbone is just way too much. Maybe I'm just not a wit fan.

Not particularly drinkable for me. Good carbonation level.

3.13/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, highly effervescent, pale gold body with a swelling, white head.

Smell: Subtle notes of lightly bready malts, citrus, and spice with a fine, delicate note of flowery perfume. I suspect I'm missing a fair bit thanks to these unruly bubbles. Pity. Where's a spoon when I need one?

Taste: A bit bready, a bit grainy is the upfront maltiness. Light, restrained sweetness. Flavors of tart, citrusy lemon and a heavy-handed dose of coriander. Seemingly spicy hops with a mild bitterness. Finishes dry and with a fizziness that would outdo a mouthful of Pop Rocks.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Shamefully overcarbonated.

Drinkability: Whew!! It took much diligence to see my way to the end of this beer, and, were it not for the runaway carbonation, it could've been far better. One to revisit, provided they clear up the carbonation issue.

3.16/5  rDev -18.8%

This is one volatile beer. Quite a bit of pressure behind the cap. First pour was a glass full of foam and foam continued to come out of the bottle. When I finally got a glass of fluid, the color was a pale yellow with a thin cap that hung around for awhile. Not much for lacing. This beer was too messy to give a higher appearance score. Interesting aroma. Very floral with slight hints of spice and citrus. Plenty of wheat malt as well. The flavor is a bit unusual. This is an aggressively spiced beer. Besides the spices there is a minerally quality that I am not a fan of. Hints of citrus and grain as well. Bitterness is higher than other Wits. Not surprisingly this is overcarbonated. Far to fizzy to be enjoyed. This beer was a letdown. After hearing so much about The Bruery, I expected a better crafted beer. I would pass on this beer next time.

Orchard White from The Bruery