Saison Rue - The Bruery

Saison RueSaison Rue

The Bruery visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Saison Rue is an unfiltered, bottle conditioned, Belgian/French-style farmhouse ale. This is a beer of subtlety and complexity, with malted rye, spicy, fruity yeast notes, biscuit-like malt backbone and a slight citrus hop character. With age, this beer will dry out and will become more complex with rustic notes of leather and earth from the contribution of a wild yeast strain. Being a saison, Saison Rue is ambiguous unto itself as it is a different beer when fresh and when aged.

(Beer added by: DoubleJ on 05-01-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Rue Alström Bros
4.06/5  rDev -1.2%

4.56/5  rDev +10.9%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

I picked up a bottle of The Bruery's Saison Rue a few weeks ago for $11.99 at Holiday Market. I've never had a Bruery beer before and I'm interested to see what this brewery is all about, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty simple and it isn't too eye catching, but it does have some nice information about the beer on it. It poured a cloudy slightly golden orange color that took on more of a burnt orange color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with some funky brett being the first to show up and it imparts a nice funky barnyard aroma that's a little on the lighter side and it's followed by a vinegar like aroma. Up next comes the fruits which are nice mixture of tropical and citrus fruit aroma with the lemon seeming to stick out the most. Towards the end I get some spicy rye aromas. This beer had a good aroma, both the brett and rye were noticeable, but they weren't dominating.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with some Belgian yeast flavors being the first to show up and they are followed by some brett which is pretty light and only impart a light funky brett flavor with just a slight vinegar like flavor. up next comes the fruits which are the same as they were in the aroma, but this time there's no single fruit that seems to stick out the most. On the finish comes just a little bit of tartness with a slight bit of spicy rye and it had a fruity and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, but I wish the brett and rye were more noticeable.

M- Smooth, very crisp, pretty prickly, very dry on the finish, medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good, but it was just a little prickly for me.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of the style, it's still identifiable as a Saison and the brett and rye seem to be in the background, that's not bad, but I found myself wishing that the rye and brett were more noticeable and the belgian yeast showed up in the background. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, very crisp, pretty prickly, very dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think one glass is enough for me any more than that and the prickly carbonation might start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was nothing, there isn't any aspect that stood out as being better than the others. What I liked the least about this beer was that brett and rye didn't show up more, they were a little light for my liking. I would buy this beer again, but it isn't anything I'm going to stock up on and I would recommend it to anyone who likes saisons with just a little brett to them, the brett doesn't really take out of the realm of the style. All in all I was happy with this beer and I thought it was a nice Saison, but with that being said, I wasn't overly impressed with it and I don't think it's very memorable. This beer made for a nice first impression for the Bruery and I'm interested in trying more of their beers and I would say it's above the middle as far as Saisons go. Good job guys, this was a nice Saison, keep up the solid work.

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.56/5  rDev +10.9%