Saison Rue - The Bruery

Saison RueSaison Rue

The Bruery visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Saison Rue is an unfiltered, bottle conditioned, Belgian/French-style farmhouse ale. This is a beer of subtlety and complexity, with malted rye, spicy, fruity yeast notes, biscuit-like malt backbone and a slight citrus hop character. With age, this beer will dry out and will become more complex with rustic notes of leather and earth from the contribution of a wild yeast strain. Being a saison, Saison Rue is ambiguous unto itself as it is a different beer when fresh and when aged.

(Beer added by: DoubleJ on 05-01-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Rue Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a hazy golden color with a tight, white head that leaves little chunks of lacing.

Smells of a bretty yeast funk and a little grass.

Tastes of a light sweetness, brett, and a bit of fruitiness. Malt sweetness is a little sugary with enough funk from the yeast to cut it. Lemon and orange citrus come through as well. Plenty of spices from the rye and some peppery notes as well.

Mouthfeel is medium in body with a creamy amount of carbonation.

ocelot2500, Jun 13, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a duvel glass

A: Hazy light amber color. HUGE white head that dies down to a medium sticky lacy head. Very nice to say the least.

S: Horse hair barnyard funk. Refreshing green apple tartness. I am liking this beer.

T: Rye spice, some tartness , some hop bitterness. This is simple but complex in it's simplicity.

M: Lower end on the medium body. Slides across the tongue, assuming because the rye. Carbonation is fairly high but contributes to the beer.

D: Really wish I had more of this. Not my favorite saison but I really would like more of this. On a hot summers day, this would be an awesome treat to break up the monotony of Whites, Wits, Hefes, and whatever else.

rwf08, Jun 11, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

750 ml. w/ cap in a long stemmed wine glass

A hazy, orange-gold color, very deep colors. Rushing, accending...gyser like bubbles from the bottle conditioning is looking wild and crazy. A 2" high (at least) solid, pillowy amazingly healthy head, pure-bright white color, with ultra slow dissipation. Fine, sticky laceing all over, healthy and rightous look.

The aroma is simply amazing, huge whaff's of tangy-citric acidic fruits, sharp-vanilla, very sweet maltiness much like fresh red berries and sweet tart candies. Strawberry rhubarb pie, sharp, medicinal herbal effect from the rightous brett-yeast.

The flavor's are very deep and complex, the wild brett flavor's are the best I've had in a brew yet, sharp-citric edge, sweet tart candies with a dry-rye in the back causing more citric and wild fruity flavor's. The brett never becomes metallic or too bitter, not insane wildness. Heather honey sweetness in the malt goes a long way. Just the right amount of earthy, and fruit hoppiness and a rather sharp vodka-esque heat that seems to really build up.

This stuff will knock you down, so sip and share!! Easily one of the very best Belgo-American brews I've had.

GratefulBeerGuy, Jun 10, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

Going on memory for this one.
This is my first time w/ Brettanomyces. Loved it!!!
It has a beautiful orange hazy color with a perfectly off white head. This beer has a nice floral anD citrus smell; really makes you want to dive into the glass. Taste is similer to smell.... Citrus, floral and pepper on the back end. It's Quite refreshing. Nicely carbonated, with almost a champaign quality. Very very drinkable. The abv is on the high side which makes this beer dangerous. I could drink it all day. (Thank you chris for sharing.)

cochell, Jun 06, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

A: bright orange off white huge head huge carbonation

S: wet hay horse blanket with some malt and some spicy rye

T: refreshing taste very complex with notes of horse blanket and wet hay coming through.

M: light mouth and high carbonation very good for this style

D: super drinkable can I have another bottle?

overall: a fantastic brew that is ultra complex that is very good with some age on it. I recommend you age this atleast 3 months and 6 or 9 months is really good! A beer that changes depending on when you pop the top, I Love it!

JamisonM, Jun 05, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

750 mL poured into a snifter....caused it smelled just so damn good!

A- Copper-gold in color, with a decent haze. A quick and large creamy eggshell head forms, and leaves a rich silky webbing with firm towering lace clinging up the sides of the glass.

S- A bouquet! Citrus, spice, yeast, and acid. The first thing that hits you is the yeast combined with a light maltiness. Definitely sweet on the smell. After the initial yeast/malt/sugar smell some more complete elements appear. Citrus like an orange with allspice. Almost reminds me of Christmas time (you know, the orange/nutmeg thing).

T- Taste mimics the smell, but loses some things and brings in some others. The first strong and obvious flavor is the yeast/malt, but underneath you start to notice the complex foundation of this brew. Immediately following, almost overlapping the initial maltiness is an impressive peppery-citrus flavor. Together at once, there's a strong orange and a fresh-ground black pepper taste...and somehow they really complement each other. After that, you pick up a little nutmeg/sweetness and finally the whole thing finishes with a lactic acid dryness. The lactic acid dryness is heavier than other Saisons. It's delicious, but it takes every part of me to subdue memories of spoiled milk at the elementary school cafeteria.

M- Medium to full bodied (especially for a Saison) with an acidi creamy texture. Moderately to highly carbonated, this thing dances and rolls all over your mouth. It might have just a little too much bite, and the dryness from the lactic acid is a bit much at the end. The beginning is great, middle is pretty good, but the end just kind of finishes so-so.

D- Excellent. HIGHLY DRINKABLE. I put down a 750 mL and I was craving more. I could drink this all day...as long as it was cold enough to help me get past the lactic acid.

I think this beer is great. It had a lot of carbonation and a decent amount of alcohol, so I think aging this thing for a year or two is gonna be awesome. Next time I'm out, I'll probably pick up two, to do just that.

jmhart, Jun 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

A- A hazy orange liquid with a massive amount of streams of rising carbonation. The head is epicly thick with amazing retention.

S- Sour fruits, funk, oak, and a bit floral. Not the most aromatic beer, but very intriguing and appealing.

T- Funk, fruit, and flowers. Tasty, but maybe a touch young.

M- Very light and carbonated, but not thin.

D- A very interesting take on the style that means serious business. Full bodied, highly carbonated, funky, and impressive.

david131, Jun 02, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

750ml bottle poured into a Maudite tulip, shared with trep while ironically brewing a rye-saison of our own.

Saison Rue displays a peach-blonde, brassy body with a healthy carbonation level. Above, a towering fluff of meringue head retains very well and settles slowly while leaving some lace. Aroma pops with tart citrus--actual citrus like grapefruit and tangerine zest--smelling nothing like the hop-derived aroma of a good IPA. A little peach and lots of bretty barnyard funk. Unique & appetizing.

The flavor blends spicy rye with funky Brettanomyces on the front of the tongue. A nice hit of lemon peel tartness puckers the sides of the mouth. Lots of changes, leading to a finish of more rye, Belgian malts, and a kiss of hops. A bit ascerbic on the end with a lingering Brett note. Body is creamy and smooth despite the complex flavor profile. Medium-consistency and well carbonated. Quite the tasty Saison, this beer definitely bends the rules of the style a bit, but ultimately succeeds.

wagenvolks, May 23, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a golden amber hue with a bright white head forms fine speckld lacing evenly around my tulip glass. Aroma has citrus spices and funy barnyard tones going on, I like me some brett infused saisons. Very aromatic comparable to the Drew Estate line of infused cigars. A nice melange of fruitiness going on with spicy bitter herbal hop edges, with spiced up tea/tobacco leaf complexity. Barnyard brett infused funk going on as well with a nice tropical fruit finish pineapple/mango. Mouthfeel is nice and dry at times/slightly bitter with spices and brett residuals on the palate but manages to finish slightly alcoholic and with a clean sweetness. Medium bodied sturdy effervescent carbonation carries the beer really nicely. Drinkability is a nice complex night cap that I need to get more of to get a better feel for it, I enjoyed it and will definitely not pass on the next Bruery selection I come across.

WVbeergeek, May 21, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

750mL bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a shade of yellow that is just a touch darker than straw. It has a warm, light amber sense to it while still remaining yellow. The effervescent bubble streams seem to move in slow motion if you turn the glass back and forth in your hand; it looks like you're looking at the beer on film rather than in person. The white foam builds up to five fingers of head if you aren't careful. I'm pretty sure I wrote nearly that exact sentence last night about The Bruery's Saison de Lente, so let me repeat some more sentences that fit Saison Rue: The foam produces a towering hill in the middle of the glass with the consistency of meringue. The edges of the foam is full of large bubbles that leave behind sinews of lacing all around the glass. You'd be hard-pressed to find a saison that looks better than what I am looking at right now.

The aroma is full of spring botanicals - wet flowers post-rainstorm - and not so much hay but grass/dandelions and medicinal phenols. There is a warm malty smell that is sweet but short of caramel; might be the rye. Not really any fruit outside of occasional ghosts of lemon-lime. There is some funk but it serves to accentuate the floral smells rather than steal the show. If I could score this a 4.25 than I would.

The first thing that my tastebuds pick up on is the rye malt. That signature rye spiciness is something that I've never had in a farmhouse ale before. It is nutty with a spice taste that fits right in with the dry saison spiciness that the style already brings to the table. Phenols aplenty with lots of petal and pollen and plant. The Brett in this bottle isn't very developed; that isn't a bad thing or a good thing, I'm just stating that the funk is limited. This tastes good. Solid stuff. It is missing the complexity to take it to the next level. It does the phenolic, spicy character of the saison style very well. If it also included the fruit/slight sour quality of saison at all then we might have a world-class beer on our hands.

The feel is drying yet soft from effervescence. A bit prickly if you drink it right from the fridge but soft with warmth. It does its job admirably. The drinkability is solid; the way that this saison sticks to the phenolic, astringent side of the style makes for a beer that can get to be a bit taxing after a couple of glasses. The ABV is also 8.5% which is inordinately high for a saison.

My second saison from The Bruery in as many nights and also the second time I've been impressed. The appearances on both beers have been revelatory; it seems that Boulevard's Smokestack Series has competition in the pretty-looking beers category. As for Saison Rue: this is a successful beer that falls a yeast strain short of being very, very good.

Reaper16, May 11, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

I picked up a bottle a few weeks back at the Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting. Great price!

A hazy bright orange, this beer is capped by a dense, beige head with excellent retention and great lacing. The nose is excellent. This is clearly young, with the Brett character fairly low with just a little grassy funk present. Moderately complex, the use of rye lends a light spiciness that works quite well with the spicy saison yeast. Some citrus is present as well, a blend of orange and lemon, both of which lend a great brightness to the nose.

The palate opens a little too sweet for my liking, with some floral honey and spicy rye immediately apparent. The citrus hop character works well with the honey too. These big flavors result in an obfuscation of the yeast character, it being reduced to a generic Belgian yeast flavor rather than the delicate bouquet that better saisons have. Hop bitterness is moderate, again, a little bit lost behind the sweetness. A touch sweet on the finish, with a rather noticeable rye flavor. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, this beer is decent fresh. I need to grab another bottle and sit on it for a year or two. While I'm going to enjoy the rest of this bottle, I really do wish it were drier.

DefenCorps, May 11, 2010

Drank this from my cigar city snifter.

A- pours cloudy goldish orange in color. A huge 4 finger fluffy off white head. Solid retention and nice lacing.

A- smells very funky. There is a lot going on here. I get a clove spice up front. There are grapes and a slight hint of bananna present. There are also hints of light citrus, mainly lemon.

T- interesting. The first thing I notice is the spice of the rye, followed by white grapes and granny smith apples. The brett isn't as dominate. There is a light lemon taste that I also picked up on in the nose. Def has some funk to it though. There is a earthy taste to this brew. I really enjoyed it.

M- medium bodied with a very high level of carbonation. There is definitely a lingering aftertaste.

D- very nice! I had no problem killing this 750.

urwithdave, May 09, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Served in a becher glass, best I could do at this particular restaurant. Beer is dark amber and clear until I reach the sediment that according to the bottle I'm suppose to avoid. Whatever.

Carbonation is low but steady. Forms a white head that leaves a little lacing on the glass but not much.

The aroma is slightly lactic but there are some interesting fruit notes in the nose as well.

The beer is definitely sour but its not overpowering. This is seriously a great saison. Medium body and nice carbonation in the mouth. Some sour apple notes in there, a building late lactic character. Its a great saison for sure and a nice sour. Very excited about this beer.

drabmuh, May 09, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a hazy golden orange color, with a bit of a rocky white head. Aromas of spicy rye, a little earth and black pepper. On the palate, this one is peppery, yeasty and a little sweet. A pretty good effort at a saison, but a little overpriced in my opinion.

emmasdad, May 08, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance - Pours a murky amber hue with a full head with stiff peaks. Lacing? Sure.

Smell - Tart and astringent. Lemon peel, grape skin, musty apple, spicy hops, old magazines from the basement, assorted spices, a little booze.

Taste - Wow, much more hop-forward than the aroma would imply. Bready malts, rye spiciness, lemon rind, grape skin, and loads of resinous hop bitters. The flavor is certainly yeasty, but the brett complexity is muted.

Mouthfeel - Heavier than expected, with an abundance of prickly carbonation. Dry finish.

Drinkability - This is a very unique - and very American - take on the saison. Not nearly as refreshing as Saison de Lente, but is certainly enjoyable. Be forewarned: this beer will creep up on you.

yeahnatenelson, May 08, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

I'm pretty sure I got this from gford217 so many thanks to him!
750 poured into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours with an abundant firm and creamy head that doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. Great retention and lacing. The beer itself is a hazy bright orange. Reminds me a bit of a late summer sunset.

S: Spicy yeastiness. Crisp hops. Rye is definitely there. Smells like...springtime? Yeah that's pretty vague, but I'm getting some fresh foliage, spring blooms, and post rain-shower bliss from this one. Wonderful.

T: Taste is similar to smell. Starts out like a more typical Saison. In fact, at first it tasted very much like Saison De Lente. Midway through, however, the rye, hops, and brett really begin to shine. There is a lovely spicy/bitter/prickly character late in the palate that I find very pleasing. Lingering rye aftertaste. Very good and quite complex. As usual, neither my palate nor my vocabulary is up to the task of really explaining this one much further...but I'm finding it very enjoyable.

M: Has the soft creamy mouthfeel and slightly prickly carbonation that come from a well done bottle conditioned beer.

D: Above average. I'll end up putting away this 750 without any trouble. While I really enjoy the rye character and the lingering effects it has on my palate, I can see how it could become tiresome at some point especially to those who aren't big fans of rye malt.

Very nice beer. Based upon prior knowledge and the reviews of others I thought I would prefer De Lente over Rue, but I stand corrected. The Brett and Rye add intriguing complexities. I am certainly not an expert on Saisons or on beers using Brett, but this certainly has the potential to be one of my favorites.

Having now tried both Saisons, Hottenroth, and Mischief I'd have to say that The Bruery is becoming one of my favorite breweries despite the fact that I've yet to sample some of their more highly rated and highly sought after beers (Black Tuesday, Papier, PiaPT, etc.). Really looking forward to cracking the 2 Turtle Doves I've got waiting in the cellar.

AdamGarcia, May 02, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured a brilliant golden color with a froth milky head. tight lace of very tiny bubbles clinging to the glass.

Taste is slightly astringent with hints of lemon essence, and anisette. There are also very subtle notes of dry paper and cardboard, with some leathery notes.
A subtle citrusy aroma with notes of cardamon.

Light bodied mouthfeel, very crisp with a nice dry finish.

Overall fairly easy drinker. Seemed to be missing something from the usual yeast profile in the style. Overall quality beer.

deanhead, Apr 26, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

This was the first Bruery beer I tried, and now I am finally getting around to reviewing it.

Pours some LARGE white foamy head atop a murky golden body. The head takes some time to die down, reemerges quickly upon agitation, wih the legs thick and sexy as I tilt the glass.

Aromas of earthy, spicy goodness like only a quality farmhouse ale exhibits. Interesting, I think I smell some popcorn or something slightly buttery. Very nice.

Flavors include deep, meaty rye with a light funkiness from the Brett combined with that quality Saison spiciness. Everything balances out perfectly, even though I am not always the biggest fan of rye-induced beers. This and Rugrod (both from the Bruery) are the two notable exceptions.

Mouthfeel is light and tingly from the carbonation. Becomes a little thin as it warms.

Overall, I love the Rue. It's the Bruery's original flagship beer and for good reason: its innovative take on a Saison adds new flavors while tilting its hat to the things we love about the style. Pretty much perfect.

jminsc76, Apr 18, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a capped 750 ml bottle into a pilsner glass at around 50 deg F.

Pours a large white head resembling soap foam, which eventually reduces to a lingering cap. Moderate lacing. The beer is deep golden, quite clear, with lots of bubbles. The nose is of earth, butterscotch, pear and apple skins, all of which appear on the tongue as well; there is also a touch of cinnamon. Butterscotch and toffee dominate the palate at first, with a slight hoppiness in the balance, leading to a tart and lasting finish. Alcohol warmth is present and noticeable, but it does not bite. The beer coats the tongue a bit, but the carbonation helps cleanse it.

Very nice saison with some hoppiness to keep it balanced, although perhaps a bit boozy and more full than one might expect.

MCDuhamel, Apr 18, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Poured a hazy golden to orange color with a tall pillowy white head that took it's time settling. Great lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Banana bread, fresh grains, honey, apricots, some phenolic and clove spiciness meets the nose like a good saison. Next is a light sourness in the nose with a slight dry white wine mustiness.
Hops are citrus, floral and very fresh smelling.

T: Sweet at first with apricot, banana bread, wheat, rye, fresh toasted grains, light honey and some vanilla. Then comes some bitter citrus hops and spicy clove flavors from the yeast and this gives way to a pronounced but not overdone sour funkiness. It all real goes well together in a complex way and does not leave an overwhelming or bad aftertaste at all.

M: Medium body and smooth tight carbonation that is silky. Some mild alcohol warmth comes through but is well hidden.

D: A nice twist on a Saison and very well done with a good balanced mix of sweet, tart, and funky. This beer is worth another try or worth aging. It has a lot going on but is refreshing as hell. Serve cold!

scottbrew4u, Apr 16, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks Eric for putting this one on the Bruery tasting list.

This one poured a little darker than the Lent. Golden to a rusted amber with lots of haze and a nice eggy head that laces nicely right to the bottom.

This seemed to be very rich on the nose. Fresh cloves, pepper, lots of earthy pear notes, some lemon zest, a touch of brett funk to top it off. Lots of earth and grain.

The flavour is round, fruity but lots of spice. Some brett, cloves, pepper, lemon, a touch of grain and nuttyness that kind of seeps through.

Clean mouthfeel, medium to high carbonation, just full and round. Not as dry as I was expecting, but it really makes it a quaffable beer.

A fine beer. The flavours are far more pronounced and rounded than the lente, and I think I really prefer this one.

bartle, Apr 13, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

750ml bottle from viggo (thanks man!) had beside Saison Lente.

Pours an amber/golden, a couple shades darker than SL likely due to the rye, couple fingers of bubbly foam that leaves some laving down the glass.

This one is a the juicier, rounder version of Lente. Rye gives some nice complexity, hint of wood and earth, pear and apple, dash of lemon, much more sweetness in this version, spicy, hint of maybe cinnamon?, light alcohol in the finish, just a little funk coming through, would love a bit more, medium dryness.

Much fuller and not nearly as dry as Lente, not as refreshing and quenching though still a damn fine saison. Like the addition of the rye and the spiciness of this one, just couldn't drink it all the time.

ritzkiss, Apr 12, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

poured into a goblet glass.

A= Looks great white head, gold appearance with a murky cloudiness to it.
S=citrus, fruits, pepper
T=tasted fruity, citrus, thick and creamy
m=good mouth feel, being an unfiltered beer it was kinda thicker i think.
D=good, i could go for some more.

Great beer, overall I liked it. I was only able to finish one glass instead of my normal 2 from this size bottle. (buddy nocked over my beer) cheers!

n0rc41, Apr 12, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a cloudy gold with a huge, foamy white head. Head falls slow, clingy lace.

Aroma is all brettanomyces. I guess that's what it is, I'm still learning about brett.

Wow, this is good. Brett beers might be my new favorite thing, guess that's why I love Orval so much. Wonderful funk flavor.

Nice mouthfeel with a pleasant bite on the tongue.

Awesome beer. My first Bruery and I am extremely pleased by it.

dstc, Apr 05, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

750 ml bottle poured into my Stone RIS tulip.

A: Cloudy straw yellow. A smooth pour drops an enormous four finger head that leaves sheets of thick sticky lace.

A: Sweet and sour fruits. Lemon and orange with pepper, basil, and raspberries. I get a nice spice from the rye, and a little funk from the Brett.

T: More spicy lemon, basil, and pepper. The barnyard is coming out a little more in the taste. The rye gives this a very pleasing detour from other saisons. Grassy and slightly sour, really very nice. Finishes dry and tart.

M: Light body with extreme carbonation. Infact when I opened the bottle I got a louder than normal pop, so I should have anticipated the huge head and tingly mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is huge. I absolutely love what the rye has done for this beer. Overall, I enjoyed this immensely. I will pick this up when ever I'm in the mood for a saison. Skal.

Gtreid, Apr 04, 2010