Saison Rue - The Bruery

Saison RueSaison Rue

The Bruery visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Saison Rue is an unfiltered, bottle conditioned, Belgian/French-style farmhouse ale. This is a beer of subtlety and complexity, with malted rye, spicy, fruity yeast notes, biscuit-like malt backbone and a slight citrus hop character. With age, this beer will dry out and will become more complex with rustic notes of leather and earth from the contribution of a wild yeast strain. Being a saison, Saison Rue is ambiguous unto itself as it is a different beer when fresh and when aged.

(Beer added by: DoubleJ on 05-01-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison Rue Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a hazy burnt orange, nice bubbly head leaving decent lacing. Smells of the earth, soil, some barnyard funk, bark, some clove, picking up some lambic qualities, the brett maybe or perhaps the rye? Tastes of very dry malt, some belgian yeast clove in the background. Very dry finish with a little rye spiciness. Very effervescent mouthfeel, pops in the mouth. Alcohol present.

This is a fantastic beer, definitely a saison but with attitude. I love the funkiness and the overall flavor despite being so dry. Highly recommend and looking forward to trying more of their beers.

bum732, Jun 14, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

A capped 750 mL bottle purchased at TJ's Everyday.

A: The ale is sufficiently carbonated, filling my glass with several fingers of foamy goodness. As the head receded patches of lace were left in its wake. The ale is a hazy amber color, lighter with yellow and brown autumn tones.

S: Funkiness runs amok in the nose, with a dry tartness. Lemony citrus follows, a by-product of the brett that is a tart pleasure. Rye adds a spicy element but the sweet, dry, tart fruitiness rules the day.

T: The rye is especially evident when I allowed the ale to sit in my mouth, bready and spicy with a hot finish. The liveliness of the ale did leave a sharp heat on my tongue. As the saison begins to take over, dry anise and coriander are forward, followed by the funkiness. Saison fruitiness is powerful good, dry and sweet behind the funk. More lemon, apricot, and berry flavors take their turn like a beer gang bang.

M: The rye is an inspired addition, spicing up the front of the sip with a zip. The brett intensifies the saison's gamey flavor.

D: I was expecting 'meh...' and got 'wow!' instead. A complex, heady saison that I really like.

akorsak, Jun 13, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Be Aware. This is one of those beers that gushes upon opening; I was expecting this after reading some reviews. Have your glass handy in case it happens for you.

A-Pours out a hazy, honey/orange with a large, fluffy white head that falls slowly to a cover while leaving a good amount of splotchy lacing.
S-The smell is spicy and a bit fruity with light brett. A nice, clean, crisp smell.
T-The taste is what's happening here. There is the initial spicy pepper & tart, sour fruit (apple), then there is the brett/funk finishes off a delightful, complex mixture.
M-Mouthfeel is medium, well carbonated, dry and pretty smooth.
D-Drinkability (is there alcohol in this? wait... now I'm feeling it.) is very good and it goes very nicely with a good French Brie.

This is one beer that I enjoyed more on the cooler side. As it warmed it became less interesting. Patrick has made an enjoyable Saison here.

After pouring the first (1/2-8oz) glass, I later looked over to where the bottle was sitting on the floor and noticed that it had continued to froth up and out of the bottle. My cat expressed a mild interest in licking at it, good for her.

meatyard, Jun 06, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

A big shoutout goes to ppoitras for the brew, sent via NoBSBIF4 - thanks Pete!
Semi-hazy golden amber brews pours into the Corsendonk tulip - well carbonated lil' forker, tons of thick and rich white head volcanoes up. Lays some nice Brussles lace on the way down.

Good aroma of light fruit (apples, pears) mixed with da musty funk - not strong but noticeable.
Fizzy quaff of Belgian yeast with the fruit and light funk. Pretty tasty combination of flavors that standout with sharp edge with the tingly carbonation. No hint of any 8.5% booze in the bottle.

Vancer, May 29, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +1%

750mL magnum bottle poured into a tulip

Pours with a reddish body and fluffy, off-white cap that rose to fill the entire tulip. Body was somewhat hazy with a decent amount of visible carbonation.

Aroma is of granny smith apples, hay, leather, barnyard funk, and a hefty dose of white pepper. There is also a good amount of citrus from the hops.

The spiciness really cuts through everything else and makes its presence known. Citrus hops and granny smith apples then take over with a touch of barnyard funk (hay and horse blanket). The Brett really lays low and allows the fruit and spices to play. I am sure with some age, this beer will dry out considerably and the Brett will join the party.

Full and rich while being light and airy. This beer is surprisingly full bodied with a light, creamy texture. Good stuff.

Easily quaffable. There is only a slight bit of warming, otherwise the 8+% is not noticeable. I enjoyed this with a friend while hanging out outside on Memorial Day.

ColForbinBC, May 28, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Weird, I actually got stiffed on this bottle - this bottle is only ¾ of the way full! I've never seen this before...now I am worried that the beer is flat or otherwise bad. Well, I paid for it, and this is what I have...so let's give it a go. Brewed with rye and Brett.

Upon popping the cap, big rush of gas. Poured into a goblet with plenty of carbonation. Cloudy gold body. Excellent retention. Visually, there is nothing at all wrong with this beer....they just didn't fill the damned bottle up all the way!

Kind of a big "wild ale" nose - leathery Brett, and a smell that makes me think of tonic water. Quinine?

Rye with a wild farmhouse ale is a bit of a twist, so I'm expecting interesting things at the very least. Right off the bat, the first sip seems "standard" - bitter grass, leather, wet hay. There is some spiciness, from the rye I assume. I get a strong rye-bread suggestion in the relatively long aftertaste. Nicely complex, in an understated, beguiling way. Just slight residual sweetness in the finish - not quite as dry as I would like, in a perfect world. I tend to consider that a flaw in saisons, so I'll deduct a half-point from an otherwise 4.5 beer.

I was about to say that this beer has the "softer" feel of a strong beer, but then I looked at the bottle and saw that I'm drinking an 8.5% saison. I had no idea - I guess I just assumed I was drinking a 6%'er. Well then, that explains it!

Before I realized how strong this is, I was also wondering why I wasn't drinking this faster. Drinkable at this strength, but a little more than I bargained for - one big bastard of a saison for sure. Pairing? I can say this works beautifully with a veiny, nutty, sharp, really funky blue - it has the chops to deal with such a complicated cheese, a cheese that makes even barleywines cower.

Patrick999, May 25, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Poured with a massive amount of head. At least four fingers worth of head. Was a deep burnt reddish color. Looked really nice in the glass.

S: Did not get much funk but I did get quite a bit of spice and malt. Once it warmed a little you did get a touch of the rye but it was very subtle. Some fruity esters in there as well.

T: Very intense flavor. Quite spicy. The rye did come through but it was more malty than anything else. A hint of the brett but it really did not stand out.

M: Super carbonated but brett can and will do that. Quite heavy on the tongue which is different for a saison.

D: A rye beer with brett? Where have you been all of my life. I love both styles and this beer was very different. We split the bottle with friends and that was fine. I think this one might be a bit too intense for just one person.

aerozeppl, May 23, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle that I've cellared for 6 months, poured into my Gulden Draak tulip. Saison Rue is a burnt golden orange with a large, frothy off-white head that is slow to subside and leaves heavy hunks of sticky foam. Very nice, with tons of fine bubbles streaming up a medium speed to support the thick surface skim. If this glass was etched on the bottom it would definitely help.

Smell is complex and appealing, strong floral and fruit notes, but also with a dough yeast backbone.

Taste is all nice and complex, but not as sweet as the nose. There is a definate spiciness, not sure how much is rye and how much is brett, as well as some yeasty note, but there's also a very strong, albeit clean alcohol character that is accentuated by the bone dry finish, which lingers forever. It opened up a tad as it warmed, but was too boozy and lacking depth for my taste.

Mouthfeel is soft and spritzy, with a medium body.

Drinkability is pretty good, but I definitely prefered the look and smell to the actual taste. I suspect the 6 months of cellaring gave the brett a chance to chew through the malt, hurting some of the complexity and increasing the bite of the alcohol, without really contributing a strong barnyard character (as it was only a secondary addition). I'm going to sit on the other one for a while to see if it reverses course or trends downward, but I was a little disappointed after the smell. I think a lower OG would definitely help this beer, as the strong alcohol bite really dominated the taste for me.

ccrida, May 22, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

750 mL bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a thick, generous head with a hazy golden body. Head remains a thin layer across the top of the beer. Looks like a saison should.

S - Big, funky farmhouse smells. Leather, musk, wet basement, vinegar, and green apples. Incredibly complex, layered, and inviting. A real pleasure!

T - The rye comes forward with a slightly bitter, earthy complement to the tart, sour, funky brettanomyces flavor profile. This brew has a really long finish.

M - Fairly high carbonation, but this is easily countered by the rich complexity of flavors here. It's crisp and refreshing, but warming and soothing at the same time. This is a great warm-weather beer, but one that I could drink anytime of the year.

D - This is an outstanding brew. I've been trying a lot of different saisons recently, and this one really stands out as one of my favorites so far. You can drink this beer on its own, or try it with an English farmhouse cheddar, a young goat's milk cheese, or a thick, fatty medium-rare steak. This is now one of my favorite saisons - great job, Patrick and co.!

vrazionale, May 20, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a peppery, pale and rye malt scent along with a dry farmhouse funk aroma. It has a nice earthy scent. The taste is good. It has a bone dry flavor that goes down slow and warms in the finish. The rye and Brett feed off of one another. It's got quite a spicey/peppery taste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This a pretty good beer. There's a lot going on with the aroma and taste. The rye is a nice touch and the Brett comes in at the end to add some excellent "funk" character.

WesWes, May 14, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

On days like this, I am always nervous.

Anticipation creates anxiety for me, always has, always will. And when I awoke this morning, there was 10 hours to kill until the Bruins faced elimination, the Celtics looked to come back after a beat down in Game 3 and the Red Sox and Rays get the front billing on ESPN's Sunday Night Game. While I'll be relentlessly flipping between all three, it is the Bruins that got me all stressed out.

In the past, when these days occurred, I always find some mindless (but hopefully productive) task to do. I have cleaned, brewed, walked, gardened, cooked, climbed, etc ... today, I am reorganizing my record collection. Been meaning to get this into Excel for some time now and no better time than today. I decided to organize by year, label and of course title. That way I can filter and sort through all three. Got to the K's, and decided it's time for a beer.

The Bruery finally made its way into NYC, and I am having my first run in with Saison Rue. Throw on The Kinks, "Lola vs. the Powerman & the Money-Go-Round" and drop the needle. I always wonder if the Kinks are underrated or not? They get respect, and even were part of an HP commercial not too long ago; but I don't think people really dig into their catalogue... this, like the other 4 I have, is a great album.

Pop of the cap and it gushes. Crap, is this an omen for things to come tonight? I get it into my chalice and spend the next ten minutes trying to keep the foam from oozing out of the bottle. The carbonation is downright scary, and there looks like there is a twister spinning from the bottom of the glass to the top; turning and growing thicker as it rises. A really nice orange meets caramel colored golden brown. This is not lacing, it's car wash... but with no rinse. Soap suds completely paint the glass.

Green apples, pepper, hay, hoppy, and a bit of funky farm aroma. It's a mix of fruit and the earth from which the fruit was grown. Lots of spices as well, a really complex smell here.

Sweet and spicy. Really notice the pepper, which cuts across the palate and leaves a very slight burn on the tongue after I swallow. The sweetness is prepared by grapefruits and oranges. The pine works really well with the peppery spice that is going on. It is musty too, not incredibly barnyardish, but it tastes like a lot of like these record covers smell (if that makes sense). 30 year old cardboard, covered in dust, lots of wear and tear. And yes, I did lick the cover of a Moody Blues Album... twice. And yes, It does taste a bit like it smells.

The mouthfeel is full, very thick, and really delightful to swill around in my mouth. By the way, there are endless amounts of great "That's What She Said" jokes in these reviews... particularly when describing the mouthfeel. Michael Scott would have a field day.

It's a really nice beer and quite drinkable. I got a couple hours to go; this bottle will help calm me down as we get closer.

calise1122, May 10, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: pours a cloudy orange color with a 1" head that slowly falls to a spotty surface foam. No lace develops.

Smell: sour apples, pears, and some barnyard funk is pleasant on the nose.

Taste: mild caramel, pears, apples, pepper, yeast, and some spiciness along with an overall sour tone. Bitterness is nicely balancing here. Alcohol is mildly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, crisp and a bit dry at the finish. Aftertaste is soft and is a bit sour and fruity.

Drinkability: nicely drinkable beer here. The brett sourness is enjoyable and not overwhelming. Nice beer everyone should have.

Gavage, May 10, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Extremely frothy...some foam started bubbling out of the bottle before I even began pouring. Golden yellow color and slightly hazy with an enormous fluffy white head that billows up and stays there.

S- The aroma is refreshing and just different enough from the typical saison to intrigue. Citrus and sweet spice are balanced by a mild hop profile and a slight aroma of white pepper.

T- Very delicious and complex. A sweet, refreshing lemony flavor comes through immediately with other hoppy citrus notes as well. White pepper and spice are well-supported by the briskness of the rye. The Brett adds a very mild funky flavor and a slight sour flavor.

M- Very fine carbonation with a light body and a crisp finish.

D- Very well-rounded and smooth.

JoeMayo, May 08, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Planned on aging this sucker but just dropped the bottle knocking off the cap leading to an impromptu tasting. If only all accidents ended with a beer...

Appearance: Deep hazy, rusty, orange body with a high amount of carbonation. Large frothy white white head with fair lacing.

Smell: Dry yeast, some citrus hops, fresh bread, mild sour fruit, and just a tiny bit of funk.

Taste: More dry brett flavor here. Rye adds an extra pleasant malty character uncommon for the style. Almost biscuit-like. Just enough sour and some nice alcohol warmth.

Drinkability: Very enjoyable and an easy drink. Malt balances out the yeast very well. Had a few of these on draft when I picked up the bottle yesterday.

berkey, May 02, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

My second Bruery ale, and the second with a borderline gushing pour and incredible cascading. The head ends up about 4 inches high, probably 40% of which is above the rim of the glass. There are large, thin-filmed bubbles, some smaller, rising bubbles, and a thick sea of foam. Very tight in the retention and lacing departments. The beer itself is an amber-gold color, hazy, with hints of orange.

The nose is quite potent, with a lot of sweet grain, spicing, earthy hops, and yeasty fruits. The first to leap out of the glass to me is banana. Earthy, sweet grain notes follow, and the spice component is quite large as well, hinting at clove, coriander and pepper. The nose is big, fairly complex, and appropriately mixed. Kudos here for sure.

The flavor is carried along by a mouthfeel that borders on creamy, definitely full for style, and about medium in general. Sweetness is readily apparent, with chewy whole grain bread flavors alongside just a tiny bit of caramel malt. I believe the malt also has a bit of a say in the spiciness, with a touch of rye adding some cracked pepper and dusty dryness to the brew.

Hoppiness is relatively well defined for the style here, with citric fruit bite up front and a full-on mentholated finish that leaves a layer of pine resin flavor on the tongue. The yeast is also working overtime, with a large phenolic character that all at once has fingers in a smooth-sipping weissbier and a two tons of fun tripel. Splitting the difference, we have contributions of clove and coriander, with the mentioned pepper spice note. There's a nice, tart zing that adds some character, and should provide the beer room to grow as well as dry out over time.

With a write-up like that, you know this isn't a run of the mill brew, or even a run of the mill saison. Really nicely done - it could be improved in some senses, but I like it quite a bit for what it is.

BretSikkink, Apr 28, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was supposed to celebrate last day of classes with this. Instead I'm celebrating Thursday.

Appearance - Wow. Opened the bottle and it just started bubbling over. Pretty intense carbonation! The color is a sort of cloudy golden, and a couple of inches of soapy head showed up.

Smell - Tart apples for sure. Some citrus as well. Definitely some spice, maybe close. Lots of sour fruit. Almost candy. Smells nice and refreshing, a little bit of funky hay, but not too overpowering.

Taste - Penty of sour up front. Pretty tart, but not well rounded. A little bit of spice on the follow. Almost like apple cider with cinnamon. Really quite sour, but not a deep flavor. It's good, not fantastic.

Mouthfeel - Pretty solid. Good carbonation. Not too thin. Ok, maybe too much carbonation.

Drinkability - Very nice, it goes down pretty smooth. Altho all the sour bitterness on the finish can be a little much. Had to edit here. The carbonation turned out to be so intense that it harmed the drinkability. I felt like I swallowed a balloon full of air by the end. Didn't make me want to have more.

This is a pretty good saison. But it's got so much sour apple up front that some other flavors get kind of lost. It's a little one-note, altho it's a pretty decent note.

callmescraps, Apr 24, 2009

3f white foamy head that hangs out for quite some time. Beautiful carbonation streaming up the sides of the chalice (especially attractive in the sunlight!), with an opaque orange body behind it.

Rich fruits, white pepper, and a good dose of springtime barnyard hangin out in the glass

Fruity yeast, rye, green apple, and coriander makes for an interesting taste sensation.

Pretty zesty mouthfeel, with a relatively heavy thickness - thicker than most Saisons.

Drinkability suffers a little from the richness, but overall I found this to be a unique and worthwhile saison that I won't hesitate to pick up again.

BeerImmediately, Apr 21, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks goes out to seaoflament for this brew.

750ml Capped

Poured into a chalice a very nice cloudy golden orange/yellow color, very nice carbonation, with a huge three-finger creamy/foamy white head, tons of nice thick creamy sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, yeasty, with a touch of flowery, corinander. The taste is malty, slightly sweet, with a very nice touch of yeast, there's some funky shit going on as well, and corinander. Full/Medium body, the ABV is hidden very well. Very drinkable, another very nice brew from these guy's. Thanks Carlos for this awesome extra.

Wasatch, Apr 17, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

750 ML bottle/ no freshness date

P: Fills the glass with a clear, light brown-tinged golden liquid that shines in the light. The 2 finger-high, tooth-white head is more than impressive! It's thick and frothy with a rocky texture as it sinks. Retention? It just won't go away! Seriously, 15 minutes later and it's still standing as strong as ever. I think if I left it undisturbed it would last for hours. Appearance deserves a 5 just for that!

A: Citrus fruits, bready rye malt, and a sizeable Brett funk that smells like clean barnyard (if that makes any sense).

T: Tart citric fruits upfront that feature a tight, sharp twang to them. That signature rye spiciness is low key with the malty sweetness that brings balance to the equation. May be some sublte earthy/floral hops underneath in there as well. But the Brett REALLY makes this beer for me. It's not overly funky, but it offers a nice, sour barnyard jolt that is perfectly executed. I loved it!

M: Saison Rue is a medium-bodied brew with an expansive carbonation that blossoms into a lush, almost creamy feel on the tongue. This goes a long way in giving it its smoothness.

Notes: I absolutely love the rye spiciness that this one brings to the table. A nice little twist that I find rather enjoyable. I can't decide if the Saison De Lente is better, but this one's more funky for sure. Too close to call, both are excellent beers! Highly recommended

sweetbrew82, Apr 16, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Mikkeller tulip. Thanks to Ineedabeerhere for the trade and hook-up!

A: Pours a hazy and rich looking glowing gold color with a full four-fingers of fluffy eggshell-colored foam that leaves a sticky mess of beautiful lace coating the glass. Head retention is fantastic and the carbonation is quite active.

S: Jeez...where do I start? Bright citrus and fruity Saison yeast aromas stand side by side with spicy rye malt, honey, toasted malt, dried wildflowers, mild funk, grassy hops, and a touch of green apple and/or tart berries.

T: More of everything described above. Deliciously fruity yeast, spicy rye, and a just about perfect level of Brett funk mix it up with lemon-y hops, honey, tart orchard fruit, white pepper, and toasty malt. During the finish a musty/funky/spicy/peppery flavor creeps in and gradually wipes clean the tart fruitiness that grew roots during the long beginning and middle.

M: Yes, it's a Saison and it's funky, hoppy, fruity, and spicy and it also posesses a creamy oiliness that coats wells and keeps it just shy of puckery.

D: I loved this beer. I've had the great fortune to try both this, Saison de Lente, and Goose Islands' Sofie within a few days of each other...life is good.

GbVDave, Apr 15, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -10.5%

Great appearance. Pours a cloudy golden peach color. Huge white, chunky head that settles into a consistent cap with spotty lacing.

Very nice aroma and especially so as it warms. Grape, vinous with slight alcohol warmth, peppery spice and some underlying honey sweetness. Quite good.

The taste is a bit hot and sweet. As it warms it definitely loses drinkability. Overall spiciness of pepper and overly strong cardamum. The middle has sweet honey and slight hop bitterness. Finishes fairly wet with overly sweet lingering flavors.

The body is a little heavy for my liking, more on the medium bodied side. Carbonation is soft and very present. The overall drinkability of this beer is OK, but not as high as would be liked for this style. Strong on the sweet side.

NoLiberty, Apr 11, 2009

A saison brewed with rye as well as Brett? Well, Bruery stuff has been excellent so far but let's see how this goes. 750 into a St. Bernie chalice...

This one has a little bit of irrational exuberance at the outset. There's 2 fingers of head that is buttery-egghell in color with a great chunky seam. Lots of effervescent carbonation travels slowly through the viscous honey-colored body. Carbonation and head continue to rise and crest in the chalice...it's like dough rising in a way. Not a gusher but definitely happy to see me. The head ends up as being almost egg white in consistency. Big lacing as well. Not sure if this indicates slight slight slight infection issues or not, but aside from that it looks pretty solid.

Wow - there's a very nice Brett sourness and Saison yeast spice and electricity with a slightly floral hop experience. It is rather creamy for the style; later on a more earthy hop quality abounds - could they be on the way out?

At first the hops are front and center - quite floral, almost soapy. Then a sweetness with rye maltiness and a slight alcohol burn take over. The Brett funk and yeast are muted by the creaminess and carbonation. Definitely malty for a saison.

Maybe it is maltier and a little heavy for a saison but it's quite luxurious and velvety. With warmth a grassy earthiness on the hop side shows up along with viscous alcohol. Still, very solid.

This is complex, well-constructed and thoroughly enjoyable. Only things we can improve on are the crispness, a bit more Brett sourness and the electricity of a more traditional saison. Still a finely-tuned, well-oiled machine and yet another successful offering from Patrick. Not bad for a lawyer!

IBUnit63, Apr 09, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -10%

Been wanting to try out this brew(ue)ry for a while, recently began distributing to Boston. Easy does it opening this beer, nearly a gusher. Big, huge, fluffy brilliant white head floats on a light golden-orange beer. Light haze. Lots going on in the nose. Delicious peppery rye spicyness, fresh and a bit tangy, grassy. Hmm, taste is well rounded and really pretty good but a letdown compared to my expectations from the nose, which was a near 5er. Bubbly tingly carbonation hits first and next is a light pale malt, a bit of funky yeast but not necessarily sour, and a light floral hop profile. The rye comes through slightly, and a bit more peppery typical saison spice. I guess what I'm not crazy about is that this beer is a little bit sweet, maybe partially because of the relatively high ABV for a saison. I was expecting a little more crispness, something a bit more dry, and maybe more of a brett presence. Not as sharp as I would like, but maybe I'm hard to please. Good tingly texture. A really decent beer overall, just not to my particular taste for the style. Anxious to try their other beers...

twelvsies, Apr 08, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Review from notes - March 12th, 2009.

750 mL capped bottle poured into my Hennepin glass

This one started foaming over as soon as I opened the bottle and I did loose a bit. Pours a pale orange with three fingers of huge pillowy white head that never fully dissipated but did leave some nice lacing as it receded a bit. Taste and aroma are complex. Lots of esters, some floral hops, some phenols, spices, and a touch of perfumey, rose-like alcohol. The yeast derived ester aromas here are citrusy with some pear. The phenols are a bit peppery and in more of a complimentary role, helping the balance the aroma. The alcohol presence is very subdued and appears as occasional whiffs of rose. There do seem to be some lightly floral hop notes to the aroma as well. There is also a faint sour note that lingers throughout. Mouthfeel is goo with a light-medium body (at the lighter end of that spectrum) with high carbonation. Drinkability is quite good. I finished the entire bottle without realizing it. Flavors are complex without being overwhelming, very enjoyable.

mnj21655, Apr 05, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottle into red wine glass. All notes are at 50 degrees or higher.

Pours a hazy orange-gold, pretty much opaque, with a finger-and-a-half fluffy bone-white head that settles into a thinner, pillowy cap. Cap thins out a bit in the center, but never goes away.

Nose is complex, and so delicious - sharp, zesty lemon and barnyard funk from the brett, a fantastic orangey marmalade note, even what I read as a bit of sweet vanilla. Some spicy yeast in there as well. Fantastic nose.

Taste is equally fantastic - rye is hinted at up front, along side a crisp but lightly sweet pale malt body, with light, sharp lemony citrus notes and a hint of barnyard funk overlaying the peppery yeast and sweet orange notes. Some green apple may be in there too. Just a bit of crisp hop bitterness towards the finish, which is fairly long, juicy, citrusy, yeasty. Dries up a bit at the very end. An amazing accomplishment. Superb.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp, but with a subtle light creaminess that suits the beer perfectly.

Drinkability? Who would want to stop drinking this?

I should note that I'm admittedly biased where the Bruery is concerned - I've never had anything even resembling a bad beer from them, and many have been out right homeruns. This is the latter. Utterly fantastic - in my opinion, the best Saison brewed on American soil that I've tried.

JohnQVegas, Mar 30, 2009