Trade Winds Tripel - The Bruery

Trade Winds TripelTrade Winds Tripel

The Bruery visit their website

Tripel |  8.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

Our Summer seasonal, Trade Winds Tripel is a Belgian-style Golden Ale with a Southeast Asian twist. Instead of using candi sugar (typical for such a beer), we use rice in the mash to lighten the body and increase the gravity, and spice with Thai Basil. The result is an aromatic, digestible and complex beer made for a lazy summer evening.

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 05-25-2008)
3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured on tap at Pizza Paradiso Dupont DC into a tulip glass.

What an interesting unique body color on this. A wonderful orange and cloudy bit of brown for a body with a tiny foamy head . Rock hard retention for a bit, but leaves a small collar and no lacing.

Bouquet on this is quite small, almost non existent. I am just getting some clove sense, no kind of yeast or big malt... seems kind of clean.

Taste is a big surprise. First is a fruit apricot, almost dried rind, some clove also, but then a sense of green apple. Seems light bodied but with a big fruit punch to it and a great finish. The beer just screams apple crisp to me, with a spice finish maybe some nutmeg. Alcohol content is a little noticeable though.

I think this one needs a food pairing for myself than just drinking casually, but it's a tasty one I must admit and very different from most tripels I've had.

smakawhat, Jun 20, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a sniffer, thanks StoneBrewFanatic for sharing this one

Appearance: It pours a light straw yellow with a fluffy white head about 2 inches thick.

Aroma: Spicy, citrus, yeasty, and a little bready.

Taste: Spicy and yeasty with a hint of orange that I didn’t detect in the aroma, of course that could be the citrus smell manifesting itself into something else when I taste it. There is a little more of a lingering hop bitterness than in other tripel styles I’ve had in the past.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, right for the style and very refreshing; however, it makes it hard to taste the beer.

Overall: I like it a lot, I don’t normally like tripels and I think they are one dimensional, but this version offered a lot of depth that you I don’t normally get from them.

jamescain, Jun 16, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

A - hazy gold with a tight long lasting head and plenty of tiny bubbles.
S - very yeasty/herbal almost to the extreme point of smelling a bit like urine(almost). After warming and breathing the powerful smell dissapates significantly.
T - a bit of a muted tripel with greenish spices in the mix.
M - medium bodied(at most) with a fizzy carbonation and a slightly dry finish.
D - interesting and I like it but one good glass is enough at a sitting.

Beer4Baltimore, Jun 12, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -12%

Cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The bottle is two years old and has been in the cellar since the day I bought it. The beer pours a clear copper hue with fizzy bleached white head of 1 cm foaming up and fading to an edge layer.
Aroma is fruity with pears and white grapes mixing with hints of candied sugar and a little booze.
First sip reveals an average body with fine yet fizzy carbonation.
Flavor is sweet fruity malt with white grapes and a little dry vinous notes on the finish. Also a little peppery alcohol on the swallow. Not an overly complex beer but no flaws, an good tripel, but Id love a little more complexity in the flavors.

sulldaddy, Jun 12, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Medium straw-yellow color. Thick white head.

Smell: Bready Belgian yeast aromas dominate. Some grapefruit aromas also come through.

Taste: White wine-like grape notes, some citrus fruits, and the bready yeast notes in the aroma come through. A slight spice taste along with some hops come through in the finish.

Mouth-feel: Body is on the light side of medium with a high level of carbonation.

Overall: A good Tripel that's priced well in comparison to most Bruery offerings.

IKR, Jun 10, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer pours a honey gold in color with good cloudiness and a three finger spongy white head. It is light to medium in body. The murkyness of this beer is pretty impressive. It smells of basil, spices, light spicy yeast, grains, and cloves. It's an interesting mix. It tastes of spicy yeast, citrus fruits, sweet bready malts, light peach cobbler. The aftertaste left me thinking of peach shortbread which was quite nice. This beer takes you to different points of the spectrum. It's quite good and very enjoyable and easy to drink. After the previous beer I tried, this is a godsend. It drinks very crisp and fresh (having been delivered last week). This is an impressive Tripel and one worthy trying.

aasher, Jun 10, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

I bought this beer only about a month ago, and I've been dying to open it. Today's the day!

This is a very good looking Tripel. I pours as a hazy orange color. There is lots of foam, even on the second pour (gotta love bombers). The head stays through the drinking of this beer out of my chalice... of course, that leads to lots of nice lacing.

I smell lots of nice belgian yeastiness off the head, and the thai basil smells really good and different. I thought the spice would offset the heaviness of the beer.

The oregano comes through nicely on the second pour, when the bottle hits about 72 degrees. On the orginal pour (chilled) I didn't taste as much of the yummy spice.

Moral of the story, let the bottle warm to almost room temperature for the first glass and then leave it out for the second. That will lead to a more flavorful experience. Oh, and the comment about the basil was wrong. The basil doesn't offset the heaviness of the beer. The beer stays heavy; you just get a nicely spiced belgian tripel.

Here's to another very good Bruery beer.

ummswimmin, Jun 09, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

750ml brown glass pry top champagne bottle. Purchased at Knightly Spirits OBT, Orlando, FL. No date, but they say to drink fresh so that's helpful...thanks guys.

Pours slightly hazy golden amber with thick, sticky white head that leaves lots of lacing. Nose reminds me of their Orchard White, lots of corriander-like notes and some dried wheat. Palate is crisp and spicy with herbal notes and drying carbonation. The yeast is dry and earthy instead of fruity. Green leaves like banana leaves and each over-ripe basil leaves. Finish is crisp with dried wheat notes. Great re-working of the style.

SFLpunk, May 25, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay Chalice...

A - Well, it's a great looking beer. Pours a huge head that dissipates quickly.. leaves a bit of lacing, and a tiny foam head stays on top for pretty much the entire drink

S - Spicy, Apple blossom mixed with maybe the Thai basil smell or something to that nature.. a unique smell, but very subtle. The best of these kinds of beer never go too overboard on the 'unique feature' and this beer is like that.. talks of thai basil on the label but the beer is mostly a belgian beer and if they didn't tell you, you wouldn't know it was anything other than the character of the yeast shining through.

T - A sweetness to the taste followed immediately by a tartness and then the aftertaste of biscuit. Truly a belgian taste.. very complex and still light enough to not be cloying on the pallate.

M - Pretty much nails the style.. a smooth mouthfeel but the bitterness and tartness that aren't my favorite thing here.. good but not great (in my opinion). The finish is super dry... and drying in your mouth... and I prefer a longer, wetter, but still dry finish with beers like this.

Overall - Can't say anything bad about it.. but can't say it's one of the best of this style either. It's certainly original.. and if someone called it their "favorite beer of all time" that wouldn't shock me at all. Certainly a high quality taste and worth the purchase just to try and taste the interpretation.
Again, it's original.. and probably works great with some thai food (bring it on!)
The Bruery is really producing some great stuff... their seasonal Saison is among my favorites.. and this one is certainly worth a taste.

alamere, May 11, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

I was really excited about this beer, mostly because I have been seeing more and more of Bruery beer in the bottle shops I frequent. However, this was the first real plunge I took into the creative works of the Bruery, and it was at a premium ($16 a bottle).

Appearance: Bright, golden, almost tangerine color with a bright white head (how did they do that?!).

Smell: Very belgiany, for lack of a better term. However, the extreme head exhibited that the beer was perhaps overcarbonated, and it smelled as such.

Taste: The beer announces that it is brewed with rice and thai basil. I do not necessarily have a sophisticated enough palate, but I feel that I would recognize the Thai basil if it was even an undertone. However, the rice seemed to add an airiness to the taste. A decent belgian, but probably not worth the price I paid.

Mouthfeel: I think the carbonation came into play here quite a bit... Perhaps the bottle I had was agitated so much in transit or something (although I did refrigerate for over 24 hours). Either way, it was very bubbly and whisped off of my tongue very quickly, but left a lingering taste of belgiany goodness.

Overall: I have to say that I was a tad disappointed with what was on the label versus what the flavor turned out to be. With that said, I like everything that I read about The Bruery, and I will definitely explore more of their brews.

kjussel, May 05, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

750mL capped bottle with no bottled on or freshness date poured into snifter, reviewed on 5/1/11

A: Pours a cloudy orange with lots of fluffy white head and great retention that leaves plenty of lacing around glass.

S: Sweet fruity yeast with hints of jasmine, basil and a touch of bready malt and some alcohol. Very unique and intrigueing aroma.

T: The basil adds a strange spiciness to the beer that I am not enjoying as much as the basil in the aroma. Fruity yeast with cloves, sweet malt and a hint of alcohol. The flavors seem to fighting against eachother rather than blending together harmoniously.

M: Lots of tiny bubbles, medium bodied, finishes on the sweeter side.

O: Definitely an interesting and unique tripel. Not bad but not coming close to my favorites in the style.

Azurescens, May 02, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

taste- malty, minty flavors

color- orange/straw

clarity- pours hazy

smell- really interesting aroma, reminds me of food flavors, citrus, something sweet like mint...maybe basil, refreshing aromas

body- medium body and length finish, almost a dry finish

appearance- active carbonation, sugary white foamy/rocky head that disipates with time, spotty lacing throughout the glass

notes and comments- beer was $9.99 + tax + $1.00 opening fee

beer spy- beer revolution, oakland ca, april 2011, $9.99, 750mL

glassware: tulip

NorCalYeti, Apr 22, 2011

750ml

A- Poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy orangish amber color with a huge off-white head with excellent retention and a ton of lacing all over the glass.

S- The aroma is pretty sweet and fruity with spices with hints if citrus and a lot of yeasty notes.

T- The taste is sweet and malty up front with some spices and some yeast in the finish as well.

M- The mouthfeel is somewhere between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, I'm not a huge fan of tripels but this one was more enjoyable than most. Definitely worth a try especially if you enjoy the style.

cjgator3, Mar 17, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Trade Winds Tripel....doesn't that just sound nice? Here's hoping it tastes as good to the mouth as it does to the ears.

Whoa mama! Now that's what I call a head. I don't think my glass was dirty but even a slow pour produced a huge, fluffy head that's sticking all over the place. A warming, foggy amber hue, and what we have here is a beautiful looking Tripel.

Once again my inability to smell small details because of my polyps is hurting me. But if I take my time I can distinguish some things. For one, it has that Tripel, belgian candy smell. Floral, slight spice and just refreshing.

Awesome. This is the type of Tripel that I yearn for. A beer that immediately delivers that Tripel feel - a dry, sweet bite that delivers immediately, and maintains a candy-like aftertaste for the long haul. This also has some nice citrus notes to it as well. The feel is medium bodied, smooth, and delicioso.

There's no doubt in my mind that I'll be coming back to this beer. I love the style, and The Bruery brued up a serious brue with this one. Good times.

ElijahCSkuggs, Mar 13, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

Poured a hazy medium orange with a huge white fizzy head that was mostly diminishing and had great lacing. The aroma was quite strong with the odor of a soapy yeast, a mild herbal hop and straw malts with a hint of fruitiness. It tasted mildly sweet and acidic from the start and had a strong yeasty finish which had a hint of spiciness and a little taste of citrus with the flavor lasting an average amount of time. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery yet dry in texture with a nice lively carbonation. Overall a very nice tasting tripel.

KajII, Mar 10, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

750mL bottle poured into large tulip glass

Pours a bubbly deep golden orange with some yellowish tints. A huge fluff of white head bubbles up, slowly fading into a well retained layer of near-solid film. Plenty of patchy, splotchy lacing on the glass.

Lots of herbal hoppiness with basil and floral tones in the nose. Lemon peel and spice as well with a hint of pepper.

Some herbal and floral hops mixed with splashes of basil. It's almost like a salad or herb garden, coupled with some fainter hop bitterness. Citrus and lemon peel with some fruit juice and light sweetness. Hints of spice towards the finish with a very faint alcohol edge.

Medium body, high carbonation, a bit dry on the palate. Pretty drinkable and decent flavor, especially since the 8.1% manages to stay out of the way. I'm not sure I'd go chasing this down or anything, but I definitely wouldn't mind having it again.

xnicknj, Mar 10, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +18.6%

Clouded, rusty gold, showing a bit clearer at the edges. Triumphant, exuberant head, snowy white, lacy.

Beautifully fragrant, lightly spicy, floral, airy, with lemony traces. Gorgeous.

Drinking, the loveliness lives on. Lean-bodied, snappy, plenty of spicy tricks playing on the palate. Very lively, with marvelous Belgian yeast flavor adding another dimension of deliciousness. Citrus fruit factor grows larger, and candy sugar sweetness climbs in to match it. Just stays vibrant and tasty all the way through the bottle.

Great match for thai food, I'm sure. Don't know, I had it with Chinese. Worked there, too. Excellent tripel. Is simply everything they make this good or better?

feloniousmonk, Mar 10, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -1%

A: Poured a dark straw color with a massive 1.5 - 2 finger head that lingered for a few moments, then melted into a frothy frothness.

S: I didn't get all the wacky, gourmet stuff that the marketing-speak suggested on the nose. I basically got a huge aroma of yummy Belgian funk and a tinge of grass.

T: Ahhh... now I got it. The sweetness definitely had a lime character (ala. Thai cuisine), with a big Belgian flair. The rice really wasn't in the taste profile, but I do think that its presence was the main reason why this was so smooth. Yep.... this was a Tripel alright! The finish was straight up basil, which was aggressively bitter in its attack, but in a very pleasant, interesting way.

M: I really dug the sweetness on this. I haven't tasted too many tripels in my life that had the sort of citrus exposure that this one did, but I dug it!. The carbonation was obviously very substantial judging by the ridiculous head.

D: To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of this style, but I do like them on occasion. This was in the top 5 of the more interesting and unique ones I've ever tasted!

Chaney, Mar 05, 2011

No bottled on date to be found. I assume it's from summer 2010, just bought it off the shelf last week. Enjoyed on 03/03/11.

A - Nice bright gold color with a huge white head that takes up half my glass even after a careful pour. All kinds of bubble coming up from the bottom throughout the tasting. A good half finger head stays the entire time and leaves a thin wall of lacing.

S - Upon opening the bottle, I immediately got some hints of honey but I can't get it directly from my glass. Belgian yeast, citrus, peppery spiciness. Smells like a mix between a tripel and a saison.

T - Taste is similar to the nose. A good creamy light maltiness followed by some citrus and good spiciness. Finish is very dry and quite spicy.

M/D - Mouthfeel is great although it may be slightly over-carbonated. Drinkability is high, the alcohol is quite well hidden.

Another great Belgian-style beer from The Bruery. Very nice representation with some saison-like attributes as well.

Janderson91, Mar 04, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance: Over-carbonated it seems, takes up almost all of the glass. Pour is a light golden straw with a touch of amger

Smell: Typical tripel spiceness with some lemon and herbal notes

Taste: Everything about this beer seems muted and subdued, which is unusual for the Bruery. Herbal, citrus and floral notes with a bit of sweetness behind them.

Mouthfeel: Creamy but over carbonated

Drinkability: I picked this up on a whim; finished about 1/3 of a glass and then forgot about it / lost interest; dumped the rest in the AM

craytonic, Feb 27, 2011

Pours a cloudy gold color with an off-white head. Head falls to a very small one. Thinnest of lace.

Smells like a typical Belgian Triple. Aroma of Belgian yeast with mild basil notes. Should be good.

Nice Belgian triple taste. Yeast as you'd expect with a mild alcohol taste. As it warms the basil comes through, interesting.

Medium to full bodied in the mouth with a big bite. Bit of a boozy mouthfeel.

I like it. Basil is subtle but adds something. Good beer.

dstc, Feb 21, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

A- Very fluffy edging around the glass of my tulip, and solid-state cream in the center that never dissipates. The edges may start to crack and thin out, but that center is like fresh Styrofoam from our home polymerization kit. Pure white and average size of bubbles at a regular interval.

It also has a TON of carbonation. This is dozens upon dozens of streams within the pale orange, yellow body from that rice I assume. Amazing retention has a half finger of creamy froth always around. The lacing is something to be desired, however. Its patches of sheep wool clipped and smashed about here and there.

S- Nice sweetness mingled with the sharp spice body. To further define it, its faintly Belgian candied sugars for the opening. This is overwhelmed by a sharp and astringent spice. It has all of the power of allspice and nail polish remover diluted down by a factor of twenty five, but there is an herbal finish to it. It isn't like regular basil, and luckily I've had Thai basil. It has that clean, refreshing mint power combined with that plant like aroma... not grassy, but not true basil aroma, either.

T- Opens sweet, but instantly overwhelmed. The spiciness of this beer is quite distracting. Distracting bursts of sharp nature like misplaced alcohol. Its flavors are faint basil and a bit of something that may be minty... its definitely not as exciting as the nose.

Finish is very malty. It bursts biscuit and memories of adjunct lager? It fades quick and is surprisingly clean for the most part.

M- Thin body. Very thin even. It comes off a bit watery at times when I want medium bodied. Low lingering potentials, but insanely crisp. The opening and middle are just barrels of tingling fights hiding some imperfections.

D- Its not awful. Due to its mouthfeel I can drink the hell out of it. The clean finish doesn't allow too much exponential growth of frustration. It was worth ticking, but I wouldn't suggest this one out to any of my friends. Takes a bit of work to truly appreciate it for what it is.

Khazadum, Feb 09, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -9.4%

Aroma is strong and malty with a nice overtone of sweet fruit and hints of yeast and honey. It pours a nice clear golden yellow, typical but with a very thick, fluffy, persistent off-white head. Flavor is crisp, malty and a little fruity with a hint of yeast and a bit of an alcohol nip - not quite as complex as I expected, but still tasty. Texture is smooth, a little tingly, a teensy on the watery side but still decent. This is not the best tripel I've had, but it's worthy of at least a try.

Cyberkedi, Jan 29, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

It appears hazy orange with a large off-white head.

It smells of mild peppery yeast, sweet citrus fruit. Mild sweet malt and it smells a bit floral as well.

It tastes initially quite white wine like. There is a slight lime like taste, a floral flavor and a bit of grainy rice like flavor. The lime flavor is very strong. I get a bit of a sweet fruity yeast flavor and a bit of a sweet fruity malt flavor as well. There is a bit of a sour bite to this beer. This is not as sweet as most tripels' that I have had. I enjoy that the sweetness of the ale is balanced by a mild tart flavor. This really does infuse Thai flavors with Belgian flavors. I wish I had some Thai food to eat with this.

The carbonation is moderate low. The mouth feel is rather thin.

The drinkability is great. It is a mild and smooth drinking beer that has a great balance to it. I could drink a few of these easy.

Overall a unique great refreshing beer that is packed full of flavor. This is a great fusion beer. It would go great with Thai food.

chumba526, Jan 22, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a golden orange colour with mild haze. Steady, quite fast carbonation travelling to an off-white head that looks like whipped egg-white on the top, with large bubbles on the side. Nice chunks of lace weaved around the glass; looks nice.

Smells interesting. A curious balance of fruit and must. Fair peach, apricot, jammy characters all overridden by a Belgian mustiness with mild spice and a touch of damp basement aroma to it. Sweet/tangy does hold its own though, and is pleasant enough to carry it through nicely.

Taste is more fruity for the most part. Some dry, quite attenuated cake batter malt upfront develops a nice fruity tang at the midway point. Peach and apple and an apricot jham sweetness come through that then become quite bitter on the back. Slightly musty with light peppery spice, a touch of rubber and an almost vinous note, just has that dry red wine yeast character on the back, quite oddly but it's a nice way to finish. Finish is slightly drab, though; there's not a big characters and it kind of drops off a bit. Overall is pretty nice.

Decent foamy texture with the perfect body, just really nicely weighted in the mouth.

If the finish had more character, it might venture into less drinkable. As it is it's not the most amazingly flavoured beer but is quite enjoyable for drinking.

laituegonflable, Jan 18, 2011