Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Trade Winds Tripel - The Bruery

Trade Winds TripelTrade Winds Tripel

The Bruery visit their website

Tripel |  8.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 05-25-2008

Our Summer seasonal, Trade Winds Tripel is a Belgian-style Golden Ale with a Southeast Asian twist. Instead of using candi sugar (typical for such a beer), we use rice in the mash to lighten the body and increase the gravity, and spice with Thai Basil. The result is an aromatic, digestible and complex beer made for a lazy summer evening.

Reviews: 336 | Hads: 1,059
3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The bottle is two years old and has been in the cellar since the day I bought it. The beer pours a clear copper hue with fizzy bleached white head of 1 cm foaming up and fading to an edge layer.
Aroma is fruity with pears and white grapes mixing with hints of candied sugar and a little booze.
First sip reveals an average body with fine yet fizzy carbonation.
Flavor is sweet fruity malt with white grapes and a little dry vinous notes on the finish. Also a little peppery alcohol on the swallow. Not an overly complex beer but no flaws, an good tripel, but Id love a little more complexity in the flavors. (649 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

So what blew in? Pours a very carbonated hazy straw colored yellow color with a lighter lemon yellow hue. Due to carbonation had to let it sit for a long time before I could try it.

With ample time for aroma, there are two stories to tell. When first smelled there was some noticeable off notes. Some acetaldehyde, chalky, yeasty off notes and fizzy carbonation. After letting it sit for some time though, some better smells come out. There is a light bready and white wine aromas. Some fruity aromas, peaches pears and some minor bubblegum. Noticeable yeasty aromas. No real basil aromas.

The taste has more of a saison like flavors. Fruity notes come out with pears, peaches, and white wine/grape notes. Some nice peppery spice notes and a touch of coriander. The malt is bready with noticeable biscuit like flavors. For a triple, looking more of a grain pils like flavor and this is really lacking. Stronger yeast notes with a Belgium twang. A touch of sourness more on the acetic sour milk thing. Some herbal notes in the finish.

The body is hard to pick out with such a high carbonation bite. More moderate feel. Overall, the carbonation is just offsetting and really distracts from the nose, taste and feel. Beyond that though, there are some nice saison notes but really lacking the triple notes. (1,306 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: Over-carbonated it seems, takes up almost all of the glass. Pour is a light golden straw with a touch of amger

Smell: Typical tripel spiceness with some lemon and herbal notes

Taste: Everything about this beer seems muted and subdued, which is unusual for the Bruery. Herbal, citrus and floral notes with a bit of sweetness behind them.

Mouthfeel: Creamy but over carbonated

Drinkability: I picked this up on a whim; finished about 1/3 of a glass and then forgot about it / lost interest; dumped the rest in the AM (530 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

I was really excited about this beer, mostly because I have been seeing more and more of Bruery beer in the bottle shops I frequent. However, this was the first real plunge I took into the creative works of the Bruery, and it was at a premium ($16 a bottle).

Appearance: Bright, golden, almost tangerine color with a bright white head (how did they do that?!).

Smell: Very belgiany, for lack of a better term. However, the extreme head exhibited that the beer was perhaps overcarbonated, and it smelled as such.

Taste: The beer announces that it is brewed with rice and thai basil. I do not necessarily have a sophisticated enough palate, but I feel that I would recognize the Thai basil if it was even an undertone. However, the rice seemed to add an airiness to the taste. A decent belgian, but probably not worth the price I paid.

Mouthfeel: I think the carbonation came into play here quite a bit... Perhaps the bottle I had was agitated so much in transit or something (although I did refrigerate for over 24 hours). Either way, it was very bubbly and whisped off of my tongue very quickly, but left a lingering taste of belgiany goodness.

Overall: I have to say that I was a tad disappointed with what was on the label versus what the flavor turned out to be. With that said, I like everything that I read about The Bruery, and I will definitely explore more of their brews. (1,389 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

Poured a hazy medium orange with a huge white fizzy head that was mostly diminishing and had great lacing. The aroma was quite strong with the odor of a soapy yeast, a mild herbal hop and straw malts with a hint of fruitiness. It tasted mildly sweet and acidic from the start and had a strong yeasty finish which had a hint of spiciness and a little taste of citrus with the flavor lasting an average amount of time. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery yet dry in texture with a nice lively carbonation. Overall a very nice tasting tripel. (577 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden colour with an extremely long lasted white head. Head retention should be much better given the style.

Bright and incredibly full of fruity yeast notes. Slightly tart. Where's the Thai Basil.

Light malt with the rice making itself known. Nice yeasty, tart fruit note with some good balanced herbal hops. Maybe that "hop" character is the basil but it's good nonetheless.

Light body with moderately-high carbonation. Very crisp.

A nice tripel with some good flavour. The tart fruitiness is interesting. Decent. (526 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

750ml bottle, served in Stone Levitation glasses

A - pours with a HUGE amount of fluffy sticky white foam, absolutely covers the glass with huge chunks. the beer is clear, gold in color.

S - large amounts of freshly chopped basil, mint, thyme...underneath is a light layer of yeast.

T - quite herbaceous following the nose with more basil and mint, some lightly tart lemon rind and green apples. finishes yeasty.

M - light body with sharp carbonation, finishes insanely dry and prickly.

D - well, not a Triple...really reminds me (I'd have trouble picking one out blindly) of Saison Du Buff. OK enough for a small serving but not much more. (646 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

WOAH THAT'S A LOTTA HEAD! No seriously. Ridonculous amount of foam... which does settle down quickly and prettily leaving a very nice lacing and a dense, cloudy amber coloring.

It smells like a bar should smell, a happy/hoppy scent that is very obviously beer, with a bit of a croissant thrown in (sugary and yeasty smells).

This feels very nice on the tongue, but the immediate taste is a bit sweeter than some other Tripels I've had, though it has a good nectarine tartness as an end note.

I was recommended this beer by a Whole Foods employee/friend of mine who had nothing but rave reviews. Since he likes his women, I'd make this analogy: I wouldn't throw this beer out of bed, but it would be low on the list of my booty calls. (736 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

(From notes)

A - Lightly hazy orange-yellow color; with barely a wisp of a head

S - Sour peachy aroma; yeasty; very ripened fruit aromas; touch sweet

T - Boozey apricot and peach flavors; a little too sweet for me, but finishes pretty dry. The flavors are a bit out-of-whack to my palate, or maybe it's just the brew on cask

M - Medium; virtually no carbonation and dryish

D - I could barely make it through a full pint of this on cask; just didn't work out well and the boozey-sweet tendencies really made this too medicinal

Overall, I really need to try this in bottle form as the cask just didn't work out. This was just not great stuff on cask, and it's a shame b/c I'm a huge fan of the Bruery overall. (713 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a duvel tulip.

A: 3.75, a nice orange translucent amber with a quickly dissipating head. Nice lacing coats the side of the glass.

S: 3.25, mainly tropical notes, light notes with not much aromatic bouquet occuring.

T: 3.0, coconut, a little pineapple, and spiciness. The basil has to be discerned, not a very pungent note. As the brew warms the basil becomes more prominent. The rice adds a sweetness that is reminiscent of sake almost. A sweet abrupt taste on the tongue and the diminishes almost instantly into a drinking watery beer. At 8.1% watch it.

M: 3.25, The notes do not linger. A very tropical sweet swiftness occurs and passes like a windy evening storm.

O: The breury never lets me down and I appreciate their approach to brewing. On a hot summer day this beer is a superb alternative to IPA, crisp, a little carbonation, tropical, and finally, spicy. I was not expecting this favor, but I enjoyed the fusion. (963 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Beers from The Bruery tend to be "big" in every sense of the word - from the bottling to the composition and taste, they seem to do nothing "small."

This beer is no exception: pours a deep, cloudy golden amber with a thick, sturdy off-white head. Aroma is subtle, nutty.

Taste and mouthfeel are reminiscent of champagne, minus the sugar. Smooth and lightly effervescent, this beer is bittersweet, foamy and frothy with a undertones of citrus and a mild woodiness.

Still, there is something slightly off-putting about this beer. It's drinkable enough, but I'm not sure I'll make it a "regular." (598 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

750ml poured into a St. Bernardus Watou chalice.

Appearance: golden orange with creamy white head and silky lacing.

Aroma: citrus, herbs, apple, ginger and oak.

Taste: bland overall. basil predominates with slightly grassy and delicately hoppy taste.

Mouthfeel: smooth light-medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall impression: crisp yet soft, but tastes more like a saison. a one-timer for sure. (406 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -13.7%

A: This is a beautiful yellow and clear beer with a nice white head.

S: The smell of hops, but nothing more recognizable.

T: Pine needles and had a refreshing taste.

M: Nice foam sense and good carbonation.

O: This beer is pretty drinkable and delicious aftertaste. (269 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Russian River tulip. Poured a murky amber color with a thick and dense bright white head taking up nearly half of the glass. The head faded down to a thin covering but left some moderate lacing as it did.

The aroma has a sweet grainy, malty base to it. A bright citrusy hop aroma comes through but it is mixed with the herbal thai basil aromas. The basil comes through pretty well and mixes with the hoppy flavors much better then I expected. I'm getting what I think is the rice coming through in the background.

The taste mixes the citrusy, floral, hop flavor with the thai basil herbal flavor. It's an interesting flavor, not one I've had before in a beer. The malty, sweetness provides a pretty decent base for the beer, but the hops and basil flavoring really are the showcased flavor. A little yeast comes through in the finish. The hops and basil seem to balance each other pretty nicely, I'm just not sure how well it works overall as a beer flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with above average carbonation. Drinkability is OK, it's an interesting beer for sure but not something I would drink often or order another of anytime soon. I like the experimentation and interesting combination though. Basil and rice just might not make my list of favorite beer ingredients. (1,331 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

From bottle to small snifter.
Pours with a creamy, durable head. The light colored body has a light haze. Excellent looks.
Aroma: bretty and fruity
Flavor: less bretty and fruity; lightly tart; lightly sweet too. {Note: I'm not a Brett fan}
Feel: near perfect, with smooth carbonation and a near medium body.
O: slight wild and distinctly flavored tripel. (356 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

An out-of-towner on tap at House of 1000 Beers -- gimme gimme!

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Clear, golden-brass body under a finger of cushiony white foam, very attractive.

Smells of baking spices, honey, pie crust. Sorry I can't be more specific, but a good smell.

Taste starts off strong with rich baking spice: nutmeg, a little cinnamon, orange zest. Some alcohol heat which, combined with the orange flavor, turns into a Triple Sec or bitters flavor. Hmm, not a big fan of that. Dry, flinty fruit character in afteraste, that really dominates after a while. Becomes unwieldy & kind of turns me off, ends up tasting like a worn-out pumpkin ale after a while. Some anise. Starts off strong, trips over itself & gets muddy.

Mouthfeel is crisp but full, dry in the middle.

Oy, this is kind of a mess, in my opinion. Starts strong, pretty compelling, but almost so complex that it becomes unwieldy & turns into a juggling act, & the drinker can't help but drop the ball. (974 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I bought this bottle from South Bay D&L. Thanks Joey!

750ml capped bottle:

As soon as I popped the cap, the liquid started to slowly gush out of the bottle but I didn't lose a drop.

A hazy, then coudy, orange gold in colour, I got a 2 finger head of foam with some good lacing. Very nice looking brew.

The smell is very fruity and yeasty and spicy(corriander mostly) and yeah, I can smell the basil that they mention on the label. A good nose.

The taste is very fruity up front. I get notes of pear and some apple tartness but then the spices move in and take control. Corriander tops it along with some basil and there's an overall tartness that tastes lemony to me. It also has some sweetness that's very candy sugar like and overall, the flavours are pleasing but...and I've seen the comments about this and have to agree...this one is *way* over carbonated. Very prickly on the tongue and cuts down on the drinkability and enjoyment big time. Also, I don't think the alcohol is all that well hidden.

This is a light bodied brew, the carbonation, again, is over the top, and it finishes spicy and bitter.

Bottom line: This is my first sampling from The Bruery and well, I'm not very fond of this Tripel and I'm a big fan of well made Tripels. A step in the right direction would be to cut down on the carbonation. That's the one factor in this brew that really made it tough to drink never mind enjoy. (1,411 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

On cask at Max's yesterday.

Just a shade lighter than the tap version, this is light orange with great clarity. The nose is similar but a little different too. Basil is more noticeable, and it is less fruity. Slightly more citrus, though the sweetness is at the same level.
The palate opens spicier, fuller and less tropical, more citrus and unfortunately, fuller in body. Sweeter than the tap version, especially on the finish. Lower in carbonation, this is decent, I definitely prefer this on tap. (500 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

750ml bottle poured into a large snifter

Pours cloudy yellow with a massive white head. Head fades fast (I'm watching it collapse right now). Smell is spicy yeasty, sweet, yeasty, yeasty. Funky.

Taste is sweet, banana and clove, strangely salty. Citrus.

Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy. Overall, it's pretty good. Certainly not my favorite Tripel, and for the price, probably not getting it again. (396 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

A: A hazy golden color with a quickly settling white head.

S: Very...different. The basil is definitely making its presence known and I don't really think that's such a great thing. Very herbal overall.

T: Not surprisingly, the flavor is quite similar to the scent. So this is quite an herbal tasting beer as well. I don't find it that pleasing.

M: Lighter in body (possibly due to the rice they used to brew this) with good carbonation.

D: Personally, I did not find this beer all that enjoyable. However, if you are into the flavors that are present in this beer, I'm sure that you would find it very nice. (612 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -15.9%

Yellow golden body, white foamy head, plenty of carbonation. Hmmm... looking for those yummy fruity/spicy tripel notes. All I get is some chalky yeast and herbacious basil/mint. The flavor follows suit. Basil appears like oregano, and the yeast is way too powerful. No other tripel note. Spices like this are hard for me to stomach by themselves, and combined with yeast as a main component, this one is almost a chore to finish. Thankfully the feel is easygoing. All in all, in interesting take, but I would have made the basil a nuance, not the main show. (557 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -15.9%

I like sour, so I liked this, but this beer didn't have typical sour flavors and sure as hell wasn't a typical tripel. I found it to be tasty, but honestly a little difficult to drink.

Appearance was not like a tripel at all - it was dark and cloudy without much head. Aroma had a ton of fruit like sour cherry and cranberry. Despite the absence of candy sugar in the recipe, flavor is of candy sugar, fruit, and SOURNESS! Mouthfeel is dry. This is a pretty challenging beer to drink - tasty, but not all that drinkable.

Quite interesting - I'd be happy to try this again, as it is complex enough I am not sure I really got it all in this tasting. I had this on-tap at Shorty's in mid-town Manhattan. (702 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%

Nice amber color with a rose hue. Big head with a citrusy nose that's reminiscent of The Bruery's outstanding Orchard White witbier. The initial taste is...unremarkable. In fact, there's a slightly numbing quality to the taste...that must be the Thai Basil. (If you've ever had a dish with Szechuan Peppercorns you'll know the taste/feeling.) Subsequent tastes reveal a little more character and a unique flavor profile. It's a tripel so it's definitely big on malt...but if they're using hops at all I can't tell. The bitterness is provided by the Thai Basil and possibly other Asian spices. It's definitely refreshing despite the high gravity. It makes a nice summer belquim.

They've definitely succeeded in their east meets west endeavor and I have to say I'm impressed with their ambition. However, this one has a hard time standing up to The Bruery's other outstanding offerings. (886 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -17%

Thanks to Sourbatchkid for opening up this bottle.

Trade Winds Triple is a beer that has escaped me for quite a bit. I had a sip at a tasting before, but im glad to have a nice snifter of it too chill with.

Trade Winds Triple(Nice name by the way) is a golden type color with some bright bronze color here and there. A nice foamy off white color, cream colored half inch of foam does not stick to the glass. Smell is off center for a triple, not your typical Belgian scent. Some spicy scent (thai basil) with big pale malt with some masked aroma hops with grassy appeal. Im not turned off by the flavor, it's just different for me, Im used to the Belgians. First off, I think the spice is a bit to pronounced, it's all I taste, that basil flavor. It sort of over takes the beer leaving no room for interpretation. Under that the light body brings forth alot of pale malt flavor. Some apple comes out in the end but the spice prevails. The body is a bit thin and watery IMO. Between light and medium, just falls short of carrying the beer further. Bright carb with bubbles, no problem there, alive like a good triple should be. A whole bottle of this would have been a chore and a half. (1,187 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -19%

Shared with SundaySour @ Bruery Provisions.

Flight #2 into tasters.

A: Pure early morning sunshine. Very luminous and soft. Looks like it could cure depression, or at least provide a fair amount of vitamin D. I could wake up to this. Light foam hovers over the beams with no lacing.

S: Forward flowery oils, hemp and other kinds. A fragrance with decent drinkability. Orange blossoms chill out with lemony teas, a late flavor of tangy green teas and garnishes.

T: Quite a spicy herbal bite with some lingering pepper. Green curry pizazz with flavorful greens; stems and all. Reasonably sweet, but dry. Rice has a noticeable presence in the taste of the alcohol.

M: An echo of small bubbles. Really a good mouth that remains noticeable throughout. This adds a bit of illusion to the strength of the drink. I thought the beer would be much lower than it was.

O: This brew really begs for a plate of food. I'd say go for the spicy food and deep bitter greens. The alcohol is perhaps a bit limiting, and the flavor profile make for a mouthful of garnishes. This is meant to compliment hearty foods, and would off set earthy foods very well. (1,144 characters)

Trade Winds Tripel from The Bruery