Hottenroth Berliner Weisse - The Bruery

Berliner Weissbier |  3.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008

Reviews: 418 | Hads: 1,505
4.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

#870/871 03/25/13
12:48 002128

A: Hazy, almost cloudy, bright golden-orange yellow with a fizzy, white head that bubbles up quickly and fades just as quickly. No lace or retention. As it should be.

S: Nose is really dry, funky, and unique. I'm at the last glass of the bottle and I still can't figure out what I'm smelling. A bouquet of tart lemon juice, hay, barnyard, yeast...and...it just smells like a brewhouse. Which is awesome.

T: Taste is similar. Very dry, tart, fruity, yeasty, and ultimately funky. Fantastic carbonation and a proper body for this style. So much flavor and such a joy to drink.

M: The finish is just ridiculous. Creamy (might be because I poured some sediment in), yeasty, funky goodness.

O: It's super hot and humid tonight so this is perfect. I love this style more and more with each example I try. This one is world class as far as I can tell. Especially for an American brewer. This particular style is about to blow up. It's already popping up at more breweries and is building a following. Who doesn't love a refreshing, funky, low ABV beer? I've been searching for this beer for a few years and didn't really know why. I just had a feeling. Now I know my instincts were spot-on. (1,219 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

A: pours clear straw yellow, with a initially two finger head which settled to a thin white layer.
S: a sharp/tart wheat, kristalweizen like banana and bubble gum.
T: tart, but not overly. Wheat and tartness lends to a light lemon flavor. Very crisp and refreshing
M: very crisp, light on the palate with prickly carbonation.
O: between Berliner Weiss and Gose two hard to find styles in, mainly by different brewers yet are my favorites. (442 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served from the bottle into an oversized wine glass

A- Pours a pale yellow with a one and a half finger head. The head had tiny and medium sized bubbles popping all around the glass. Head dissipated rapidly as expected.

S- Strong aroma of lemon, pepper, white wine, wheat, and a little funky hay.

T- Wow that is sour. I have never had a beer this sour, I am pretty new to sours though. Huge sour lemon notes, big wheat bill, pepper, and white wine characteristics. There is a mild hay taste too, the hay funk is kind of an acquired taste I imagine, but that was the only drawback in the taste for me.

M- Very dry beer, drinks almost like champagne, highly acidic, lots of carbonation

O- This is a very tart and sour beer, mouth puckering sour and delicious. I really enjoyed this and look forward to trying more sours. I can see me getting beer quite a few more times. The dryness, acidity, and some of the taste remind me very much of white wine. (953 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

I think I had this beer in my proper cellar for about 10 months or so.

A- lemon-straw yellow with a quickly dissipating white head.

S- lemon citus and wheat. The wheat goes from pure wheat to sort of a bready wheat the longer you smell.

T- sour/tart lemon, wheat. And very very faint hops

M- on watery side but I would expect that from a 3% beer

D- I think I am going to down the entire 750 by myself. This is one fantastic brew and will get it again for sure (468 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fantastically dry and painfully delicious. It invites sip after sip with a mouth stripping sour dryness. So tart, so delicious. Its better than candy ever could be. Its a sadomasochistic dream of a beer. Drink the 750ml to yourself but its better shared with friends. After all, how much fun is sadomasochism by yourself? (321 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Hazy pale yellow in color with about one finger of foam that dissipates quickly.

S: Tart lemon, grapes, wheat, and maybe some sour apples.

T: Very tart initially, more sour apple flavor here than I would have thought from the nose, the lemon is definitely there. Nice cereal type taste from the wheat to give it a bit more depth.

M: Very light on the tongue, both in terms of carbonation and body.

D: A solid beer, my favorite so far from The Bruery. This is pretty much my go to beer from them. Just about every time I go to the tasting room, I leave with my growler filled with this. (594 characters)

This beer was split 3 ways from 75cl bottle

It pours a very cloudy very pale straw, one of the lightest colored beers I've seen. A brilliant white head sits above it.

The smell has a ton of lactic sourness. Tart fruit notes like peaches and white grapes are the other dominating aromas. It is really pleasant and so refreshing and tart.

The taste is much like the smell. A huge wave of mouth puckering tart and sourness is the first thing that hit me. Then a ton of white grape and green apple hits me, reminiscent of a Riesling wine that has gone sour.

The body is very light with such a high carbonation which makes this the ultimate summer refreshment. I don't have a huge familiarity with this style but this one hits all the notes for me. (748 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Very tart nose, wheat, acidic. Palate: acidic, lemony, hazy pale straw, head is large and fluffy but quickly dissipates, very highly effervesce, light tart, refreshing, no hops, light fruitiness, light body, high carbonation, no alcohol presence, refreshing. (258 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

2011 vintage from The Bruery.

Pour: Golden, straw colored body with a prickly white carbonation much like a white wine. The bubbles quickly recede and leave themselves along the glass.

Nose: Crisp granny smith apples, straw, slight lemon zest or rhind, wheat, salt, grass and pear.

Taste: Lemon zest, granny smith apples, wheat, salt and straw to begin. Mid palate the taste is more tart lemons and apple and a finish of pear, grass and mineral.

Mouthfeel: Drying like champagne after an initially prickly white wine body. Crisp.

Overall: My first of this style, this is exceptionally like the BA description. A fantastic beer, I'll enjoy this often over this summer. Absolutely fantastic. (694 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Wow. I have had more sour beers, but never a tart I liked as much as this one. It feels like I am drinking a large glass of wine.

The fruity, yeasty taste is barely tempered by any of the usual beer hops or malt tastes. The yeast is the story, and it is wonderful.

The aftertaste is to die for - I hope to burp for a long time! The very low alcohol is nice for a change, the balance is kept, but it could stand more malt and the resultant kick. This is highly recommended. (476 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Growler from the Bruery. This is the second batch of this beer. The last batch had a nice tartness develop over time, but this one is much more sour to begin. This batch is more "on the mark" for the style and I am interested to see how this one changes over time as well.

A: Very light straw and hazy, a lot of light comes through this one. Head is very lively and luscious then settles down to nothing within a couple minutes.

S: Tart with some limited sour fruitiness.

T: Tart and citric flavors cascade on the center of the tongue and intensify before dissolving. Not quite a fruity flavor, but shares some similar acidic notes. As the tart fades after I swallow, some wheat flavors come through.

M: Light body and a good carbonation goes well with tartness. I love how simple this beer is, yet how beautifully these elements come together.

D: Tart and crisp, it a perfectly sessionable sour. I have drank growlers of this beer and had on tap numerous occasions and cannot get enough of the stuff. I wish the berliner weissbier was a more popular style.

I really enjoy this beer. Fantastic to enjoy almost anytime, or try adding some fruit syrups.

Review updated 10/31/09. Drinking this again, also had some more examples of the style since originally posted. This is the best one I have tasted, bumping up the taste score to reflect this. (1,351 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a clear, straw, white-wine-like color with a large white head that disappears slowly. Scent is tart lemon with some wheat and grain in the nose. Nice citrus aromas with bright, tart fruit notes. Taste is initially like a very light wheat beer that lacks in all the clove and coriander flavors (which is a good thing) and is replaced by tart lemon and citrus notes. Pleasant yeast flavors make the tart flavors more mellow than they want to be. Finishes with lovely lemon and wheat flavors. Mouthfeel is EXTREMELY light and airy...perfect for this style in beer. Drinkability is EXTREMELY high. Overall, this is an outstanding beer that represents this style to a tee. With such low ABV and such high drinkability, this beer is perfect for session drinking and hot summer days/nights. (789 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

A- not much to speak of here, a finger of head that fades to nothing. not much visible carbonation, but the clarity is brilliant, and the faded ocre reveals streaks of green.

S- green apple, subtle funk notes, lemon zest

T- superb, a well balanced tart attack and super dry finish. great green tart apple, pungent lemon zest, and a little bit of barnyard even. for such a low ABV, the balance and robustness of flavors is stunning, so well rounded and pronounced.

M- thin but great prickly carbonation, full and crisp.

O- best berliner weiss i've had to date, great balance and flavor profile. also extremely sessionable. (627 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle. Aroma: Lots of funk, white wine (cat piss), lemon. Weird but nice. Appearance: Milky yellow with small head. It’s far from cute but it is so unusual I kinda like it. Taste: Packed with flavors I can’t believe it. Lots of lemon, brett. This is very dry and very tart. I love it. Palate: Dry, thin Overall: This is the more drinkable and refreshing beer I’ve ever had. This 3% berliner weisse couldn’t have been better executed. If it wasn’t for the price tag and availabilty, that’d be my go to summer beer. Best surprise in a long time. (556 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

sampled april 10/2010 as part of our giant bruery tasting. Viggo and ritzkiss provided the brews, so thanks to eric and eric!

750ml bottle.

pours hazy super pale yellow, almost white, with a small white head. the head drops fairly fast with only a few spots of lace.

aroma is great. lemony. bit of cider vinegar. a bit spicy. light acidity. orange peel.

taste is great. lemony. cider and malt vinegar. white bread and cracker. touch of orange peel. light vinegar and acidity. very light and refreshing.

mouthfeel is great. super light body. medium-low carbonation level.

drinkability is great. light, well balanced, and super drinkable. a great refreshing summer brew. (674 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Enjoyed this 750ml bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a light orange hue with a thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving no trail and a wispy lace.

S: Sour and tart aroma with some citrus notes in the background.

T: Extremely sour and tart flavor with a mild wheaty backbone that is engulfed by the sour.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Amazing brew! (383 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 750ml bottle into an Allagash chalice. Served at fridge temps.

Appearance- Cloudy yellow/orange with one finger of thick white head that lasted about a minute. Very nice lacing.

Smell- Lemony/wheaty aromas, white grapes, soft green apple, chardoney-esque, and some light malts.

Taste- Apples and grapes up front mixed with mild cider vinegar and lemon. Wheaty malty sweetness comes through nicely. Very clean tartness. Not very funky at all.

Mouthfeel- Super light and refreshing. High carbonation with mild apple tartness. Extremely drinkable.

Overall- This is my second or third Berliner Weiss and it's the best I've had yet. Super drinkable on a warm day like today. If I could get this regularly in the summer, I'd drink it all day especially at 3.1%. (775 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

On tap at Sac Brew for Bruery night.

A - Pours straw yellow with a 2 fingered white head. Dissipates moderately fast and leaves little lacing.

S - Honey, toffee, brett, with some zinfandel grapes in the background.

T - Honey, toffee, light oak, grapes and brett.

M - Full-bodied, malt dominated and sweet, with a light brett pungency.

D - Great overall. Would seek again. (376 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

I've had this on tap many times so now it's time to review the bottles. Consumed on 9/13/2009 and poured into my Moonlight pint glass. The beer is light straw golden with a fizzy white head and decent retention.

The nose is grassy, with a lot of lemon. Actually, the bottle has noticeably changed since I first had it a few weeks back. There's a lot more lemon now than before. Brett imparts a musty and tart quality. Notes of wheat are evident, and there's no alcohol at all.

What a flavorful beer. Excellent tart quality and a nice tart and musty Brett character. There's a decided zing of lemon, as well as notes of ripe apples. There's a wheat quality to the beer. The finish is lemon and tart with a nice lactic sourness. Excellent!

The beer is light bodied with a nice high medium level of carbonation a crisp mouthfeel. This is a hell of a beer. (856 characters)

Reviewed from notes

Many thanks to jsanford for this one!

A: hazy pale yellow with a 1 finger foamy white head

S: sweet, with a hint of sour, yeasty, bananas

T: bananas, cloves, yeasty, perfect flavor balance, slight sourness to it

M: very mild carbonation, crisp, clean, smooth

O: a delicious treat, ready to enjoy more at anytime!

Cheers!
The CPJ (355 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance: hazy straw color. Pours moderate head. Fades quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: barnyard funk, earthy, grassy, lemon zest.

Taste: tart, horseblanket,lemon zest, acidic.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, good carb, crisp, acidic.

Overall: very tasty. The best light beer I've ever had. Very complex. Very drinkable. (322 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a pale yellow, straw yellow, couldn't be yellower, more yellow than mellow yellow. Very pale, almost colorless, a bit hazy though, but fairly clear, with a nice white head that forms on top. The head dies quickly to nothing, and leaves no lacing from the start. Not bad, but I guess that it actually looks quite average. The smell is nice, though all descriptors I could use would sound kind of disgusting. The first thing you get is burnt garbage, like stale bread, old vegetables, rotting starches (trust me on this, I have roommates that keep potatoes until they rot), with just a bit of tartness underneath it all. This is just right I would say - about the only time that hot garbage could be a good smell. The taste is right on too. Nice and tart, with a good back of pale graininess. Not much sweetness, it doesn't need much, just enough to balance the tartness a bit. So light and refreshing, but so interesting with the sour tastes. This yeast profile is actually a bit familiar to me, it reminds me of wild yeast that I caught in my own house - not overpoweringly sour and tart, no taste a vinegar, just a nice pleasant, slightly chalky tartness. A bit of the garbage comes in with the finish as you swallow the smell down. I'm a fan. The body is thin, of course, what else would you expect at this ABV, which I would say is right on for the style. The tartness fixes it back up. Pretty good, for 3.1. The drinkabiliy is just great. Perfect for a session beer. Light, refreshing, low in ABV, and the taste is just challenging and enjoyable enough that I could drink this a lot. When everyone asks "What beer would you choose if it could only be one for the rest of your life?" (assuming that it wasn't going to be your last by far, I suppose) I could probably be happy with this. So very simple and nice. (1,820 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured this 750 mL brown bottle into a becker glass. No date. The pale body looked a lot like ginger-ale. The bright white head was spritzy and dissolved quickly.

Smell was spicy, ginger-like. Fresh grass. Lightly herbaceous.

Taste was cheek puckering sour. Yummy lemon (sort of like Alka Seltzer cold medicine - in a good way!). Pretty drying. Salty. This seem like the ultimate summer session beer.

Mouthfeel was light bodied. Crisp, with tiny carbonation. Nice. I think this is my first Berliner Weiss. (510 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured this beer into a tulip, and was imediately impressed by the three finger thick cap of rocky white foam sitting on top of a clear effervescent pale straw body. Although the head fell pretty quickly, it left a little lacing on the side of the glass.

Aroma delivered a little tartness. The smells was mostly clean, but raw dough and pie crust came to mind as I look for terms to describe what I can smell in this beer.

The taste delivers a clean tart taste. Maybe a little green apple, a little bit of yeastiness, but mostly clean lactic tartness. The bottle says that this was spiked with some Brett, although I don't taste any, I wouldn't mind if the Brett was a little more prominent, perhaps laying a bottle down for a year would allow that to build a little more.

Mouthfeel is spot on for the style with high amounts of carbonation. Hottenroth finishes clean and crisp.

Probably one of the most refreshing beers I have had. At roughly 3%, I could drink a few of these. I would love to have a growler of this on a hot summer day or on the golf course. Amazing brew for sure! (1,088 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Found this at Total Wine in Bradenton/Sarasota FL.

Poured a lovely light straw yellow, slightly hazy as it's supposed to be, with a 1" white short lived head. Very nicely tart and citrusy in the aroma. Hint of biscuit and a pronounced wheat twang. Flavor is a touch more complex than expected. Lemony tart, touch of yeast, puckering finish with a layer of "barnyard" funk, but this is almost hidden. Crisp and light, this beer is best served chilled (slightly above refrigeration temperature) in a flute or a weizen glass. Outstanding beer. Perfect for Florida weather. (570 characters)

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery