Hottenroth Berliner Weisse - The Bruery

Berliner Weissbier |  3.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008

Reviews: 423 | Hads: 1,542
2.33/5  rDev -42%

08/29/10- Had a 750 mL bottle of this one.
A: Very pale golden with a puffy white head that shrunk to a very thin film.
S: White wine, very sour apples, musty wheat, salty cured meat (salame).
T: Starts off great, but turns to a very moldy salame casing (the innoculated one you're supposed to remove before eating). Lemon pucker and cidery notes. For me, this isn't undrinkable, but it almost is.
M: Very thin and spritzy, like bad soda.
D: Not a big fan; this one is almost a drainpour.

I like sours and I still didn't like this one. Maybe I had a bad bottle or it is a little too intense for me.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 750ml bottle into an Allagash chalice. Served at fridge temps.

Appearance- Cloudy yellow/orange with one finger of thick white head that lasted about a minute. Very nice lacing.

Smell- Lemony/wheaty aromas, white grapes, soft green apple, chardoney-esque, and some light malts.

Taste- Apples and grapes up front mixed with mild cider vinegar and lemon. Wheaty malty sweetness comes through nicely. Very clean tartness. Not very funky at all.

Mouthfeel- Super light and refreshing. High carbonation with mild apple tartness. Extremely drinkable.

Overall- This is my second or third Berliner Weiss and it's the best I've had yet. Super drinkable on a warm day like today. If I could get this regularly in the summer, I'd drink it all day especially at 3.1%.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pours a very pale yellow and crystal clear. Think chardonnay. The white head is about a finger deep and is gone within a minute. No lacing to speak of in the glass. Carbonation appears very active.

S - It's fruity up front with hints of apple and lemon. Malt base gives a sweet middle to this beer. Honey notes are what I'm getting. It's a little musty toward the end. Aroma is light overall. Not bad though.

T - Boy, this one is bright at first. Apples come through first. Tart, then it smooths out pretty quick. Honey and sugar come and go from midway to end. It's no surprise that the alcohol is nowhere to be found. Could be a faint graininess at the very tail end. Once again, no bad.

M - Light bodied with a healthy carbonation that really has a nice effect on the palate. Simply put, it tickles all the way down. Finish has a residual sweetness that doesn't hang out for too long.

D - Drinkability is good. The low alcohol and abundance of flavors make this a very interesting choice. I can see this beer being very good in warmer weather along with also being a nice compliment to a hearty winter's meal. This is one of a few times that I can easily agree with the 750 ml bottle size. Even at that size, the bottle disappears quickly. I think I'll be hunting down more examples of the style based on this brew. Another good beer from the folks at the Bruery.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

I had this on tap at The Bruery yesterday 12/9/11.

A: A pale golden color with very little head.

S: Wheat, some banana notes, tartness.

T: Right up front you get a nice tart flavor with some banana flavors a bit. I couldn't get many other flavors from it but I can tell you this beer tastes real good.

M: Nice mouthful and very smooth and easy to drink. Considering the low ABV it should be.

O: I like this one alot but just wish it was at least around 5 %. That being said this would be a nice one to drink on a hot summer day.

4.02/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip.
LOOK: Pours with two finger's worth of white foam that shrivels down to a quarter's worth after 35 seconds. Pale yellow in color with an extreme amount of cloudiness. Once the foam head settles, rising bubbles hardly exist. Lacing hardly exists, too.
SMELL: Strong sour yeast aromas meet with subtle wheat and lemony zest aromas.
TASTE: Extremely strong sour yeast flavors (this has to be the most sour beer I have ever had) and mild wood flavors compose the intial flavor. Subtle wheat flavors and a hint of lemony zest finish off this sour bomb as intial flavors continue in strength.
FEEL: Medium-bodied and it's hard to tell how carbonated this is due to its sourness. The sourness simultaneously numbs and stings the tongue. It goes down sticky and that's about it.
NOTE: So sour, but so good.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Let's try a different format for this one.

I purchased this growler last night at Capone's saison event (though obviously this isn't a saison) and am drinking it tonight on a lazy Friday evening.

It pours into my Hopback Amber weizen glass a hazy, pale straw gold, though still a few shades darker than macro-lager color. The head is huge and rocky and initially forms a 2-finger high froth. Eventually it shrinks to a nearly full cap going no further.

The nose presents an acidic tartness coupled with some major citrus (lemon especially). A sweet malt base is a little tricky to pick out, but it's there. Some light floral notes lurk as well, hinting at some herbal additions perhaps.

The first thing that strikes me is the complete dryness of the beer. The body is light with a lower carbonation (surely from repeated fillings and pourings). Tartness is quite prevalent, particularly in the finish, with backup notes of lemon, flowers, and a candy sweetness. Each sip gets me coming back for another, forming an endless cycle.

What a beer for a summer day. But I think the smartest thing I did was choose a 3.1% beer to get a whole half-gallon of. This should be gone in no time.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hottenroth feels like The Bruery going hard on some William Eggleston grind -- full spectrum of emotional color here. Nestled amongst the many hued sunsets and supermarket promontories and pre-war lamps tossing their many hued lights there is something pristine/sinister that feels utterly appropriate and inextricable from the total composition. A real glassfull of considerate juxtaposition and moral play.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours a pale yellow/wheat color. The head is more fizzy than puffy, dissipates quickly.

S - A funky sour smell, a bit tart, almost like a really natural lemonade. Some earthy background

T - Quite acidic and tart. Not unpleasant. There's just a bit of funk in here but it doesn't really pack the punch or anything. Provides a lot of tart lemon. Very interesting

M - Light body, very seltzer-y

Overall - Very drinkable and tasty in the summertime. Well brewed beer

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Served on my porch on a sunny Friday afternoon.

A. Pours a very pale yellow with a thick creamy white head that dissipates to a thin film.

S. Tart - sour white grapes maybe. A bit of saison-like hay funk.

T. Light malt upfront then the tart fruit flavors come into play; white grapes, granny smith apples all with some tartness that is most akin to nearly ripe raspberries.

M. Thin bodied with a fairly high level of carbonation. Although I'm frequently opposed to this much carbonation, this has nice small bubbles that make it creamy more than prickly.

D. I wouldn't drink these all the time, but this was just what I was looking for today: tart, refreshing, and cool on a hot summer afternoon.

3.79/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy straw with a head that fades quickly. No lacing. Aroma of fresh cut, tart green apples. Nice earthiness notes follow. Tartness hits the palate front and center with nice lemon notes. Finishes dry. Light bodied with light carbonation. Overall, this might be the best summer brew on the market - bracingly tart and very refreshing.

4.64/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Hottenroth is exceptionally lively, with torrents of tiny bubbles rising from the etching at the bottom of my Stella glass. The body is ever so slightly hazed, and the palest shade of amber one can imagine. Head forms in a frenzy, but quickly fades to nothing.

S: Bouquet is a bit shy, giving only the slightest hint of lemons.

T: Bone dry and exceptionally tart, this brew is both refreshing and delicious. Granny smith apples and lemonade meld together to form an deliciously tart treat.

M: Light, clean, and incredibly effervescent.

D: An outstanding example of one of the most fascinating styles of brew. I highly recommend this to any fan of sour brews, as it is quite delicious.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass

A- Pours our almost perfectly clear but has a slight yellow tint to it. On top of the body is a nice bright white 1 finger head that sticks around due to tons of carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass.

S- Really bready wheat and nice hints of funk from the yeast. Slight banana

T- Wow way more tart than the aroma suggested. Up front the lacto hits you with a nice dry tartness and slight funk. Behind that the wheat and banana create a solid base and flavor.

M- Super light bodied with champagne like carbonation and a nice tart dry finish.

3.29/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Blue Palms, was intrigued.

Appearance - A couldy light gold. A ton of haze. Very light. Nice rocky head. Almost lemonade looking.

Smell - Ok, so NeroFiddled called it "cat piss". Um, I definitely see where it's coming from. Some tart lemon, but then this musty stinkiness that was very off-putting. Not good and funky, but more like a couch that an alley tom cat had used to mark its' territory.

Taste - Surprisingly better. Very tart. Quite tart. Some citrus and lemon. A hint of funkiness, but that weird mustiness disappeared. Nice and light, but so thin and tart that it's a little tough.

Mouthfeel - On the lighter side, but some nice carbonation.

Drinkability - The tartness and lightness might be great on a hot day, but it's almost so tart that you don't want too much more.

This is a strange style, and I get that. However the smell was simply bad. It reeked. The flavor was much better and pretty nice. I'd like to try some more examples of this style, but I just didn't think it was a great beer, frankly.

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Draught at The Bruery's anniversary. Lightly hazy pale straw with a white head. Funky, tart, wheaty aroma with some apple. The flavor is mostly crisp lemony tartness with some wheat grain, a light acetic touch and tart pear and apple. Not intensely acidic, but I do have a high threshold for sour. Light bodied with crisp, ample carbonation. Great light and refreshing beer.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

poured into a tulip glass

The Hottenroth pours a hazy golden color with a nice fizzy 2 finger head and minimal retention. Very brilliant looking pour. Nose is very citrusy and some bananas. Wheat is noticeable as well as some funk. Taste is sour from lemony tastes. Also yeast is pronounced on the mouth. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very well carbonated. This is a pretty drinkable brew. I am digging this style.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

Hazy straw color with a very thin, white head.
Smell is a bit off-putting at first--a bit of unpleasant sourness that. Underneath, however, barnyard and tart aromas assert themselves in an appealing way.
Taste is definitely the high point with this one. Very tart, but not too much so. Apple and white grapes, and a good level of sourness.
Mouthfeel is crisp and fresh. A little watery though.
With a very good taste and low ABV, this one is quite drinkable.

4.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured from bottle into tall weizen glass

Aroma: Tart lemon zest, accompanied by a pleasantly musty barnyard funk. Hay with light cereal grain in the background.

Appearance: Light pillow of three-fingered bright white foam collapses quickly after first pour, but hangs around more after subsequent ones. Wow! The body is crystal clear, and of an almost iridescent light gold color that's more striking than any other beer I've had.

Flavor: Lemony tartness meets the tongue first. Extremely light with significant refreshing tartness, which works very well with the crisp carbonation. The puckering sour citrus flavor remains through a quick, clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, champagne-like CO2. Light body. Low alcohol is evident, but not missed in this one.

Overall: I've said from time to time that, although I love craft beer, I still think a light American lager is the most refreshing beer during the summer. Well, I'm eating my words big time with this one. Highly sessionable, and HIGHLY recommended! I just wish it were more readily available...

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am usually a stout and dark beer person, but this is the perfect compliment when mixed in with all those heavy beers. I have had this beer both from the tap and also from a bottle, and both experiences were similar, this review focuses on the bottle.

The beer pours a very light orange straw color, with small head. The aroma is slightly citrusy, but nothing overpowering.

The taste is very nice, with hints of citrus (mostly lemon), over the wheat, overall just a nice refreshing beer that I enjoyed in the sun. This is one of the easiest drinking beers that I have tasted, and I would recommend it to anyone (Unless you are trying to get drunk, as it is only 3.1% alcohol).

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

This is a beer that I have enjoyed on several occasions with a truly generous BA, mymrnngjckt. It's about time I've sat down and gave this beer its proper review.

Appearance: With an easy pour into my Duvel glass, the first thing I am greeted with is an almost overflowing amount of bone white, bubbly, fluffy head. It's actually interesting to watch, as peaks and crags of the head burst and slowly fade to a thin ring hugging the glass. The beer itself is slightly cloudy, with a soft yellow color.

Smell: The first thing I notice is a subtle tart sourness. Mixed in with that sourness is hints of grass and an almost sour citrusy quality. Not the type of citrusy that can be attributed to hops, but more like lemon zest. I have to admit, however, that what I find most intriguing about the smell is that no one part of it really overpowers another. Each portion of the smell exist in a delicious synergy that, combined, is very enjoyable.

Taste: Taste is clean, crisp, and tart. The grassy tones I picked up in the smell are virtually non-existent, and the sour mingles with the citrusy lemon zest in a tasty dance of awesome. It leaves me with a refreshed feeling, yet is so good I must go back for more.

Mouthfeel: This beer screams light, crisp, and refreshing. The mouthfeel is light, carbonation is very adequate, and it goes down easy with a slight mouth puckering tart. Very enjoyable.

Drinkability: I have to say that this beer is perhaps one of the most drinkable beers I have ever come across. It's light, crisp, has an enjoyable bit of tartness to it, all with a very sessionable 3.1% ABV. I could easily see myself enjoying a couple of bottles of this in an evening. I highly recommend trying this beer if you get the chance.

3.77/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 750 mL bottle into Duvel Tulip glass. I believe the date etched on the bottle reads 3/25/13, but a bit difficult to make out. Served straight up. I don't mess with syrup.

A: Suprisingly clear golden-yellow hue with 2 fingers of clean white head that fizzles away over approximately 2 minutes to nothing. Looked excellent for about 30-60 seconds, then somewhat lackluster. Now looks like apple juice with some film on top. Nice hue though.

S: Tart fruit, notable funk. Lemon.

T: Sour immediately with a relatively bold tartness compared to the handful of Berliner Weissen I've had previously (though not recently). Lingering tartness coats the tongue. Not particularly dry, but certainly not sweet either. Lemon juice type flavors predominate. Limited in terms of complexity, but tastes pretty good, I'd say!

M: Light and effervescent. Nice. There's a surge of salivation about 5 seconds after a swig, which is something I love about the sour styles.

O: Not blown away, but I enjoyed this. More sour than the German versions I've tried and not a whole lot of typical wheat smells/flavors. Not terribly complex or particularly pretty to look at, but drinks nicely. Refreshing.

4.46/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a pale yellow, straw yellow, couldn't be yellower, more yellow than mellow yellow. Very pale, almost colorless, a bit hazy though, but fairly clear, with a nice white head that forms on top. The head dies quickly to nothing, and leaves no lacing from the start. Not bad, but I guess that it actually looks quite average. The smell is nice, though all descriptors I could use would sound kind of disgusting. The first thing you get is burnt garbage, like stale bread, old vegetables, rotting starches (trust me on this, I have roommates that keep potatoes until they rot), with just a bit of tartness underneath it all. This is just right I would say - about the only time that hot garbage could be a good smell. The taste is right on too. Nice and tart, with a good back of pale graininess. Not much sweetness, it doesn't need much, just enough to balance the tartness a bit. So light and refreshing, but so interesting with the sour tastes. This yeast profile is actually a bit familiar to me, it reminds me of wild yeast that I caught in my own house - not overpoweringly sour and tart, no taste a vinegar, just a nice pleasant, slightly chalky tartness. A bit of the garbage comes in with the finish as you swallow the smell down. I'm a fan. The body is thin, of course, what else would you expect at this ABV, which I would say is right on for the style. The tartness fixes it back up. Pretty good, for 3.1. The drinkabiliy is just great. Perfect for a session beer. Light, refreshing, low in ABV, and the taste is just challenging and enjoyable enough that I could drink this a lot. When everyone asks "What beer would you choose if it could only be one for the rest of your life?" (assuming that it wasn't going to be your last by far, I suppose) I could probably be happy with this. So very simple and nice.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

excited to try this pale horse.. light watery yellow, like diluted urine with an enviable tart and slightly sour nose, traces of lemons. it starts with that sharpness of the tart before giving way briefly to sour notes, and finishing long with wheat.
one day, when i have this again, i'll surely introduce syrups into the beverage. next time, i will be prepared. as it is, i could drink it everyday of the summer even in alaska.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Had one as a warm up for PtY today

Pours a clear yellow with a half inch of white head. Fades to a collar and leaves a little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells like lemons, acid, and spice. Can't really pick out the spice, but its not over powering, yet pleasant.

Taste follows smell, lemons and acid up front, spice- seemingly black pepperish- and a little watery on the end.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and light, extremely refreshing.

Drinkability is fantastic! Could have had a few of these, but wanted to save my money/alcohol intake for PtY.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Slight vinegary aroma, which is slightly in the taste and mouthfeel. No lacing.Body light yellow, hazy.
Flavor is very tart and lemony, very much a mouth puckering sour, but light with no alcohol, no hops, no malt. Which isn't bad at all.

This a very tart, refreshing Berliner Weise. Some earthy notes, and tastes on this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a pale clear yellow/silver with a lively head that leaves quickly without a trace, looks like champagne and the carbonation is right on par with that too. The nose is subtle with a slightly sour vinous quality, along with cherry and a touch of earth along with a funky minerality. The taste is spot on champagne, dry, nice acidity, chalky with a slight sourness and almost a french "terrior" of minerals and earth. Very good to drink just not a fan if its considered a beer as it could trick most into being champagne and though i like it, to style its just not there

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery