Hottenroth Berliner Weisse - The Bruery

Hottenroth Berliner WeisseHottenroth Berliner Weisse

The Bruery visit their website

Berliner Weissbier |  3.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
olympuszymurgus

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

excited to try this pale horse.. light watery yellow, like diluted urine with an enviable tart and slightly sour nose, traces of lemons. it starts with that sharpness of the tart before giving way briefly to sour notes, and finishing long with wheat.
one day, when i have this again, i'll surely introduce syrups into the beverage. next time, i will be prepared. as it is, i could drink it everyday of the summer even in alaska.

04-05-2010 00:27:54 | More by olympuszymurgus
femALEist

3.6/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's a Berliner Weissbier and only 3.10%. It poured a bright yellow. It smelled a bit funky, Brett, not too tart but with a bit of lemon. It tasted like sour lemons, green apples then turns to yeast. It is very light and I learned from some fabulous East Bayers that it is meant to be drunk with sweeten syrups, which I would love to try sometime.

03-25-2010 20:48:13 | More by femALEist
billab914

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Since it feels like the first real weekend of spring here we decided to open the windows, put on some march Madness and open something light and refreshing to relax.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pair of New Glarus flute glasses. Poured a hazy, very pale yellow color with a thin white lacing barely covering the top of the beer. I was hoping it has the almost neon greed hue that 1809 has, for no other reason then I think it looks cool but it was not to be. Could have used a little better head retention as well.

The aroma is very tart and a little sour with some wheat and lemony citrus flavors coming through. The taste is pretty tart as well and moderately sour. It finishes with some lemon zest and wheat which makes it a very light and refreshing taste.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is moderate. it could have used a little more carbonation for the style. Drinkability is good, it's a very nice easy drinking beer for a warm day. I've only had a few beers of this style but so far I've really enjoyed the ones I've had and look forward to drinking this more often during the summer.

03-21-2010 17:44:08 | More by billab914
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

pours very light yellow with a VERY subtle haze. inch+ head that quickly gives way, leaving light retention.

quite tart, hints of vinegar up front. light zest, hints of white grape.

up front, starts out zesty with hints of lemon. a nice light sourness emerges and comes to life. lots of light vinegar and white grape. through the finish, the wheat really comes out and lingers for a bit after. the wheat becomes rather bold at its peak.

very light, moderate carbonation

this is beyond drinkable. the ABV is silly low, the flavors are just enough to keep interest, and its very refreshing. i really wish i had bought like 5 of these now.

03-20-2010 01:06:25 | More by hooliganlife
babaracas

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a hazy, very light straw, with creamy two finger head that fades quickly, leaving lace for a half inch or so. Smell: spicy rye and a slight sour funk, along with some cornbread. Taste: big time lemon, tart, with a little sour lemon candy thrown in there too. Something a bit undercooked yeasty dough-like about the finish. It's refreshing and sour/tart which is nice, but the 750 is certainly enough...

03-16-2010 05:04:56 | More by babaracas
krisandajt

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

This is a beer that I have enjoyed on several occasions with a truly generous BA, mymrnngjckt. It's about time I've sat down and gave this beer its proper review.

Appearance: With an easy pour into my Duvel glass, the first thing I am greeted with is an almost overflowing amount of bone white, bubbly, fluffy head. It's actually interesting to watch, as peaks and crags of the head burst and slowly fade to a thin ring hugging the glass. The beer itself is slightly cloudy, with a soft yellow color.

Smell: The first thing I notice is a subtle tart sourness. Mixed in with that sourness is hints of grass and an almost sour citrusy quality. Not the type of citrusy that can be attributed to hops, but more like lemon zest. I have to admit, however, that what I find most intriguing about the smell is that no one part of it really overpowers another. Each portion of the smell exist in a delicious synergy that, combined, is very enjoyable.

Taste: Taste is clean, crisp, and tart. The grassy tones I picked up in the smell are virtually non-existent, and the sour mingles with the citrusy lemon zest in a tasty dance of awesome. It leaves me with a refreshed feeling, yet is so good I must go back for more.

Mouthfeel: This beer screams light, crisp, and refreshing. The mouthfeel is light, carbonation is very adequate, and it goes down easy with a slight mouth puckering tart. Very enjoyable.

Drinkability: I have to say that this beer is perhaps one of the most drinkable beers I have ever come across. It's light, crisp, has an enjoyable bit of tartness to it, all with a very sessionable 3.1% ABV. I could easily see myself enjoying a couple of bottles of this in an evening. I highly recommend trying this beer if you get the chance.

03-13-2010 01:15:43 | More by krisandajt
potownbill

2.25/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This was the first Bruery beer that I have tried, and will try others with the hope that they will be better.
Appearance: straw colored with a decent white head.
Smell: Tart, but with a strange "spoiled" smell with no hint of wheat whatsoever.
Taste: Tart, nothing else. No hints of wheat, or any other grain. Tart!
Mouthfeel: Somewhat thin
Drinkability: This is the third drainpour I have had out of over 900 different beers sampled. It was just very sour, with no other characteristics that would give it at least some personality. The two friends I shared it with totally agreed.

03-10-2010 13:43:53 | More by potownbill
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sampled September 2009
A careful pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip produces an almost four-finger thick, pale white colored head that leaves a hint of lacing on the sides of my glass as it slowly subsides. The beer is a pale gold color that shows a lightly hazed, straw, pale-gold color and a distinct white sheen when held up to the light. The aroma is yeasty, a bit grassy, with fresh crushed wheat aromatics, a big lactic note (not just sour either, but distinctly has a lactic sort of creamy note that I can smell, though how I can smell a texture I don't really know), and a hint of urea. If you dig around in the finish there is a musty, light mushroom note, some touches of musk, a light phenolic-soaked cotton note and a touch of funky foot. The aroma is pretty spot on for the style, but I wish the Brettanomyces funk had come through a bit more.

The beer tastes nicely tart as it hits my tongue, it is cool as well and the combination makes this quite refreshing. The lactic charater does indeed have a creamy texture to it (just like I smelled) and there is an amply prickly carbonation that adds a texture that offsets the creaminess and makes this light bodied brew that much more quaffable. This is indeed the Champagne of the north, it has the ample carbonation, light palate and slight creaminess that fits the description quite well. There is also a yeasty flavor to this beer, it is not really rubber-like and actually adds a nice complexity to the beer, but it isn't quite the same as the rich autolyzed flavor that is found in a traditional Champagne either. There is a nice, lightly grassy, tart accentuating, pale wheat character here that is combined with a dusty, freshly crushed wheat berry flavor. A 750ml bottle of this just disappears incredibly quickly.

This is quite to style (which calls for clean with a solid tartness); the promise of Brettanomyces on the label has me wishing for more funkiness as this is on the low side, but it does have a nice gripping sourness and it is quite clean and light. This is most definitely refreshing and a testament to the style. I could wish for more funk and complexity here, despite the fact that the style doesn't call for it. In the end this is still a really, really nice beer. I wonder if the Brettanomyces will contribute more character over time; there is only one way to tell, and I have a couple bottles to lay down and try the process out.

03-07-2010 16:05:44 | More by Gueuzedude
jjanega08

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

My first dabbel with the style so I'm not sure what to expect. I've heard a lot but I'm excited to finally try one.

A= pours a nearly clear color. Light yellowish ting to it almost a light green color I wanna say. Strange indeed. A nice thin perfectly white colored head comes up to about a finger and sticks around there leaving nice lacing as I drink.

S= This is where it gets really odd. Nothing like a beer I've ever smelled. Really hay and grassy smelling. A nice sourness to it. Almost smells like some sort of spoiled milk product. Pungent too; I can smell it from a ways away and it fills the room with the smell. As I adjuct I get the hay wheaty smell more.

T= Delicious! Like I said I've never played with this style before and upon first sip I like it. Sour is there for sure which I love. This sour is a very very very clean sour however. The spoiled dairy smell is not present in the taste at all. The sourness takes over the tongue and then vanishes in the finish where there is great wheat flavor after it goes down. Really smooth finish to this beer. Hay is a good word to use to the describe the finish. Awesome taste.

M= Crisp and Clean. Like a nice sour beer. Dry finish.

D= Awesome. At 3.1% it doesn't get much better for a session. Great beer for a summer afternoon for sure I'm happy I bought more on a whim when I was in Wisconsin. Awesome drinkability.

03-02-2010 02:37:11 | More by jjanega08
jammapamma

3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

So after having 1809 this just feels a little weak to be honest. I get a lot of one dimensional lactic acid from this, that gets boring quickly. I don't get any of the lemon, citrus or anything like that, I was hoping for so much more from the Bruery.

The carbonation was a little light for the style, which is supposed to be highly carbonated around 4 volumes. This felt more like 2.5, similar to an American pale to me.

02-27-2010 03:13:24 | More by jammapamma
atremains

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a foggy white haze with a medium sized head, moderate retention, decent lacing.
Smell is tart and bready.
Taste is the same, sourdough, lemony citrus, malt?. Not as sour as some other brews I've had, but enough to catch you off guard if you don't expect it, or are new to the style.
Feel is light, crisp, and refreshing.
Good light-hearted drink, relaxing.

02-22-2010 08:08:12 | More by atremains
aubuc1

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

750 ml bottle poured in to a tulip pint glass.

Pours a very light, clear yellow with a thick white head.

Smell is a smooth sour with some hay.

Taste is a very light sour, sharp, and lemony.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin, but very drinkable for the style.

02-19-2010 00:20:49 | More by aubuc1
HopGoblin

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours golden, yellow with a nice white head. The head fades quickly, this brew is lightly carbonated. Pleasing sour aroma, with a little bit of funk. Complex, tart taste with massive lemon highlights. The beer is very smooth and goes down easily. Due to acidic nature of this beer, the drinkability is average, one or two glasses will do. When all is said and done this is a good brew.

02-16-2010 21:38:08 | More by HopGoblin
Patrick999

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

I'd been hanging on to this for a couple months - I figured that it would scream at me at the proper time. That time is now...noon, holiday, want a beer but don't want to douse my system with alcohol. 3.1%? That's so low, I could have a full 750 of this, and go for a run a couple hours later.

A - Poured into the wide-bowled Rochefort chalice. Astonishing lack of color...if I didn't know any better I'd think this was Bud Light. In fact, I think BL might actually have more color than this. It's white gold, and very, very clear. Though subsequent pours cloud up with more of the dregs added. Large bubbles stream up at a few nucleation points, but don't retain much. Has a white wne-like appearance. Striking and worthy of a high rating.

S - I got a good deal of mustiness upon opening. Lot of musty sourdough bread, some light stonefruit.

T - Up front, straight-up carbonated water, then light wheat and moderate tangy character. That sounds really boring, doesn't it? Well, it isn't - it's light, tasty, and refreshingly sour...which is exactly what it's supposed to be, isn't it? Aftertaste is pretty interesting....ever had those thick, fibrous German flatbreads? There's a lot of that taste in residual, very grainy. Not as sour-peachy (understandably) as DFH's Festina Peche, but probably more subtle.

F - At first it feels pretty watery, but then I begin to appreciate its relative thinness. It's 3.1% - if it wasn't thin, it would probably be way overcarbonated, and we don't want that. I like it.

D - I'm glad beers like this are available. The Bruery deserves credit for taking a shot at this rare style. Great beer for warm weather, and also for sour-lovers who want something sour, but not quite at the same level as a lambic.

02-15-2010 17:34:34 | More by Patrick999
koopa

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle consumed with beerloco, mrsbeerloco, StonyB, kplynch, and mrskplynch.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw yellow with a 1 finger white crown that shows no retention or lace.

Smell: Loads of brett, a touch of lemon, some pale malt notes, and just a nice overall blend.

Taste: Same as nose only it doesn't jive as well.

Mouthfeel: a bit thinner than satisfying with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Low abv and ok mouthfeel, but flavor profile doesn't make me want more.

02-15-2010 03:34:54 | More by koopa
Parrotbeak

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Hazy straw color with a very thin, white head.
Smell is a bit off-putting at first--a bit of unpleasant sourness that. Underneath, however, barnyard and tart aromas assert themselves in an appealing way.
Taste is definitely the high point with this one. Very tart, but not too much so. Apple and white grapes, and a good level of sourness.
Mouthfeel is crisp and fresh. A little watery though.
With a very good taste and low ABV, this one is quite drinkable.

02-14-2010 22:38:07 | More by Parrotbeak
Proteus93

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Being in the mood for something light in alcohol, this seemed like a good candidate. Let's see how that decision played out!

A: Pale straw colour - hazy, and more on the 'yellow' than 'gold' side of things. While pale, it's not the kind of colour that is going to be confused with something like a light American lager. Head formed a modest finger, and an over-enthusiastic pour could result in quite a bubbly mess, but it does recede to very little quite quickly.

S: Very citric on the nose... lemony, with some hay and wheat aromas working their way in.

T: It's tart, but very mellow and refreshing. I don't really see myself adding any sort of syrup to this, as it is about spot on for what I'd be going for in such a beer - nowhere near as intense as a lambic or other sours... not even really enough to cause much of a pucker. Like the aroma, both citrus and hay are noted.

M + D: Crisp and refreshing, with a snappy carbonation and that wonderful dryness that I always appreciate in sour brews. Drinkability is rather subjective, I suppose. It's light enough in alcohol to go down very easily, but tart enough that it's not really appropriate to 'guzzle.' All that aside, it's a very fine brew, albeit perhaps something of a 'mood drink.' Nicely done!

02-14-2010 02:44:16 | More by Proteus93
ocelot2500

Arizona

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Pours a hazy pale yellow color with a big fizzy white head that leaves little lacing.

Smells of some light citrus with a wheat character.

Tastes of a big lemon flavor with a nice wheat malt character. Has a pretty big edge to it. Some grass like characters come through. A touch of bread comes through.

Mouthfeel is light and airy with a crisp amount of carbonation.

02-13-2010 02:26:10 | More by ocelot2500
slaintemhor

Oregon

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

Had this on tap in August 2009 at Bailey's Taproom in Portland, Oregon. The colour was a very light straw with thin head. The aroma was redolent of tangy citrus and yeast. On the palate...WOW! Quite sour! More so than I expected for a Berliner weisse. Tangy and citrusy with a very refreshing quick finish.

02-10-2010 04:04:10 | More by slaintemhor
NYCWheatFanSC

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pours a transparent, but a slight bit hazy watery gold in color, with a small white head that recedes quickly leaving no lacing.

S - Wheat, hay, and a bit of sour green apple. Not a very intense aroma.

T - Comes off as a pretty standard wheat beer at first, only for the sour/tart lemony/green apple kick to come in back palate as an aftertaste.

M - Thin and a tad watery

D - High, especially given the low ABV. The more I get into this style, the more I enjoy it!

02-10-2010 03:06:39 | More by NYCWheatFanSC
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Crystal clear pale yellow with a thin white head that settles to a few patches of foam floating on top.

S - Fruity with apple, lemon and pears. Earthy and tart with a sweet breadyness.

T - Fairly tart with lemon, apple and a hint of citrus. Earthy with more green apple and a bit of wheat breadyness.

M - Light and bubbly with lingering tartness.

D - This is damn tasty and would make a great summer quencher and nice lawn mower beer. Would have never guessed it was 3.1%.

02-07-2010 22:48:28 | More by brewcrew76
cjgator3

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%

750ml bottle

A- Pours a very pale and slightly hazed straw yellow color with a fizzy white head caused by the high amount of carbonation.

S- The aroma is tart, making my mouth water and tingle with every smell from the tartness. There is hints of lemon and yeast.

T- The taste like the aroma suggests is very tart and mouth-puckering for me. Behind the tartness, I can pick up on hints of lemon and some yeast as well.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I'm not a huge fan of this style overall. However, I can appreciate that this is a good representation of the style. Worth a try.

02-06-2010 04:43:39 | More by cjgator3
MbpBugeye

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%

Very very pale nearly white. Big fluffy white head
Sour smell. Very yeasty and funky. You already know this will be a sour one.
Sour and puckering. Very yeasty and bready.
Very light, dry, tart and easy going
This beer is an easy drinking one at such a low ABV. Sours of this manner really just arent my favorite.

02-03-2010 08:01:24 | More by MbpBugeye
KeefD

Pours the palest yellow I've ever seen in a beer, with a large white fluffy head that left little lacing. A lot of raw wheat in the aroma, grainy, husky, light sourness. Taste is more sour than the aroma lets on, light funk in there, grassy, lemony, with a lovely wheaty twang and a dry finish. Crisp body, easy to drink. Never becomes too sour. Really not digging the raw wheat aroma when I take a sip, as I it takes away from the good flavor, I try to hold me breath. Wish I had some raspberry syrup to pour in this thing. Not bad, but there's still no Berlinerweiss that can hold a candle to NG's Unplugged version.

02-03-2010 00:44:44 | More by KeefD
flagmantho

Washington

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: pale hazy white color with just a tiny hint of yellow. Lots of apparent effervescence and finger of nice foamy head. I find it quite appetizing.

Smell: tart, wheaty, yeasty with a little citrus. The yeast seems a bit strong, rather like a freshly opened Wyeast smack-pack; still, it's quite interesting.

Taste: tart, light and refreshing. Citrus is the first broad flavor that comes to mind; it's quite bready in flavor as well, which helps keep the tartness in check and balances out the flavor. I quite like it.

Mouthfeel: a little astringent but also relatively well carbonated and creamy. Body is thin but that is acceptable within the style. I like it.

Drinkability: very drinkable indeed. I love tart/sour beers; they pique the tongue's interest enough that when the flavor fades, you just want more.

01-30-2010 04:50:21 | More by flagmantho