Hottenroth Berliner Weisse - The Bruery

Hottenroth Berliner WeisseHottenroth Berliner Weisse

The Bruery visit their website

Berliner Weissbier |  3.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008)
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Very light straw color with maybe a finger of white head fading quickly.

Aroma is lemon, barnyard funk and a little bit of green apple.

Great balance in the flavor. A little bit of wheat tartness true to the style with an almost green apple sweet tart pucker factor. Lemon and a bit of barnyard funk as well. Amazing flavors for a low ABV beer.

Understandably thin mouthfeel. It's not completely non-existent and there's a nice crispness to it.

One of the better Berliners I've had. The green apple gives a nice contrast to the normal lemon and funk. Wonderful complexity for a beer barely over 3%. Definitely glad this one will be back soon.

jmarsh123, Mar 25, 2012

Tmappin, Mar 19, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

lpotter, Mar 17, 2012
4.05/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one with me quite awhile back during a tasting at his house! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller taster flute. Poured a hazy straw slightly golden yellow with a half finger pure white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, fresh cut grass, and a nice hint of sour apple. The flavor was of sweet malt, wheat, subtle funk, and a nice tart characteristic. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I am personally a big fan of this style so I am quite picky when I try them. However, this one was pretty solid as far as Berliners go. All of the right components are here for a solid brew, but I just wish they were a little more intense than they were. This did make it easier for the novice to the style to drink, but as someone who appreciates the style it was a little on the weak side. Still a very solid brew that I wish I would have gotten MANY more of.

thagr81us, Mar 14, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

I found this bottle about three months ago on the bargain shelf. I checked BA, and it recommended against extended cellaring. At the price ($9), I figured: "Why not"? I held it for three months while trying to convince my wife to share it with me. I thought that my wife would enjoy this.

After three months, we opened the Hottenroth to share over barbequed chicken. They worked well together. The sweetness in the beer went with the wet sauce and the grilled bell peppers.

This is a good example for the style. The sweetness and a touch of funk work really well with white meat, or on its own. I can see picking this up for a summer evening. I hope to have both again soon.

ummswimmin, Mar 11, 2012

denimdemon, Mar 04, 2012

Beezee, Feb 25, 2012

John11486, Feb 15, 2012

Destral, Feb 10, 2012
3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured out as a bright yellowish color with a touch of haze to it. The smell of the beer was of wheat and what could have been lime. The beer smelled sour for the most part. The taste of the beer is light but has a pretty good amount of sour flavors in it to make you wanna pucker a little bit. The mouthfeel was light and fairly refreshing. Overall this beer was exactly what it's supposed to be in my opinion.

Knapp85, Feb 07, 2012

DJButters, Feb 01, 2012

chrispoint, Jan 27, 2012
4.14/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Clear straw-yellow color with a generous white head that subsided quickly.

Smell: Upfront barnyard funk with some mild grassy notes.

Taste: Barnyard funk and tart citrus notes. The beer finishes very dry and clean.

Mouth-feel: Light-bodied with a fairly generous level of carbonation. A satisfying mouthful.

Overall: A good Berliner Weisse that always works when I want a light and refreshing beer. I need to pick this up more often.

IKR, Jan 25, 2012

Diomede, Jan 24, 2012

dprophet, Jan 22, 2012

seans86, Jan 21, 2012
3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured on tap at The Bruery. Poured 7 oz. into a tulip glass. Reviewed from notes.

A- Two finger white head. Fluffy, but middling retention. Orange-amber color, little carbonation and lacing.

S- Kind of skunky, some over cooked malts it seems. Smells like cooked carrots or some other strange scent.

T- Very tart, lambic like in that respect. Light fruits and citrus in the taste as well.

M- Medium bodied, strikes carbonated and bitter.

O- At first I hated it. In sipping more, I found it to be more and more wonderful. Strange beer. Would try again for sure.

Murrhey, Jan 20, 2012
4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle shared by Lunch. Thanks Paul.

The beer hazy and light yellow hued with a towering white head that encompasses the upper half of the vessel, leaving faint, random spots of lacing behind.

The aroma offers lemons, wheat, maybe some grassy notes, green apple.

Light in body, easy to drink. Not quite as tart/sour as I was hoping, but that's just me. Subtle lemon tartness. Very light without being thin or watery. Well done. I would definitely have this again.

Huhzubendah, Jan 18, 2012