Hottenroth Berliner Weisse - The Bruery

Hottenroth Berliner WeisseHottenroth Berliner Weisse

The Bruery visit their website

Berliner Weissbier |  3.10% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008)
2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Shipped back from my San Diego trip (bought at South Bay). Poured from a 750ml capped bottle into a tulip. No dating info. Was a hazy pale straw color with lots of carb from the etching. No lacing. It had a fizzy white head that quickly evaporated into nothing.

The description, style and other reviews had me believing I was going to get some tart and sour in the aroma and taste but not in this one. The aroma was very subtle. Some sour and lemon but very faded. Very disappointing. The taste matched the aroma. Very muted sour and lemon flavors and not much else. Extremely watery. Almost like an iced lemonade that had all the ice melt into it. Mouthfeel was watery.

Overall, a very disappointing beer that continues my hit or miss from the Bruery (2 great and 2 so-so). I love sour beers so had high hopes for this one but not much here besides lemon tinged water. Can't really recommend. Rotation: not avail here. One and done as I didn't find much flavor to it.

TexIndy, Nov 03, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A- pours a pale, hazy yellow. Looks exactly like I poured a glass of lemonade. Produced a thin, half fingers width of white head. Dissipated instantly.

S- A very strong, wheat presence along with a hint of corn. Also notice some lemon in the background.

T- For the style, pretty damn solid. As in the aroma, wheat definitely is at the forefront. What I liked is that almost instantly a subtle sourness comes into play that just grows and grows until the finish. For simple ingredients and a simple beer, this is fantastic.

M- Thin, but well carbonated.

D- Probably the single most sessionable beer I have ever had in my life. Nothing else needs to be said.

Overall, this beer reaffirmed why berliner weisses are one of my favorite styles of beer. Simple, clean with a hint of sourness. I forgot to add...extremely sessionable.

rhinos00, Oct 31, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a very light gold, yellow in color. There's a dirty, thin head that forms on the pour.
Smell is yeasty, somewhat lemony and just a bit of smoke or burnt malt in the background.
Taste is much more of the same. And the initial flavors thru midway through each sip are very nice. But there's still this burnt, smoky grain flavor in the backend/finish that keeps getting my attention and detracting from the rest of the beer. If it weren't for this, this beer would be very enjoyable. As it is, it's still solid, but just can't focus on the rest of the beer, while I now that flavor is coming in the finish.

FtownThrowDown, Oct 30, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

750ml bottle poured into tulip shaped glasses:

A: Fresh squeezed lemons with decent carbonation. Starts off with a towering white head that vanishes as quickly as it came, leaving little bubbles dancing around the top of the glass.

S: A barnyard funk, followed by a grassy smell, finishing with a splash of lemons and grapefruit.

T: Tingly and sour all over the palate making us salivate for more. Refreshing and citrus y, like a glass of cold water with lemon.

M: Light/medium body with pins and needles all over the inside of the mouth.

D: Great beer to enjoy on any occasion. Extremely low ABV like always for this style, making it a enjoyable session beer.

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop

TheKingsOfHop, Oct 30, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -7.9%

Got this bottle in a trade from Benanomyces. Thanks Ben for the chance to try this!

Pours a very hazy very light straw golden color. Very similar to a Witbier in look. Huge creamy white head with great retention. Leaves lots of lacing all over.

The nose is very strange. It's like a cross between wet moldy hay and stale wheat (or at least what I imagine stale wheat would smell like). Very barn-like, and not in a Brett way. It's not terrible, just not what I was expecting. I was expecting a more tart sour wheat aroma, but I didn't really get it.

The taste is a little better. Sour and tart notes hit you right away, leaving me wondering where they were in the nose. Smooth wheat finish, this is turning out good...why doesn't it smell like this...then it hits me. The aftertaste is that unpleasant wet hay character. It's not overpowering, but very subtle, and enough to annoy me. Drops the taste score some.

Mouthfeel is light with a crisp carbonation and smooth wheaty finish. Nice. Drinkability is ok, if not for that off taste I got, it would have been easier to drink. It also didn't help that I finished the 750 ml by myself.

Overall, not a bad beer. I know nothing of the style, and therefore don't know if that wet moldy hay/stale wheat character is supposed to be there, or an off taste developed somewhere along the line. I wish it was more tart and sour than it is. I'll have to have this agian, and others in the style, to find out if this is a good representation of the style, or if The Bruery put their own twist on it that I just don't care for.

Mistofminn, Oct 30, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Finally getting around to reviewing this one. Bought a bottle the other day at SouthBayDrugs. This is from the "tweaked" recipe, 2nd year of course since it wasn't bottled the first year. If I recall correctly the recipe was tweaked by adding some pedio to increase the sourness.

Used my Bruery tulip for this one. Pours a very pale straw yellow with fizzy bubbles racing to the top and forming almost two inches of egg-shell white colored foam on top. The head lasts a few moments but disappears almost completely but understandable for the style in the lack of hops, low protein amount, and high acidity level. I thought it would be a little more effervescent though. Still, solid looking Berliner.

There's a musty wheat aroma at first with some fruity chardonnay notes. Hints of graininess, wheat, and a sour apple note in the background that gets caught up in the back of my throat. Nice light and lively fruity aromas, mostly sour apples and pears with a bit of orange. Increasingly sharp lactic aroma but it smells clean and somewhat kept in control. At times there appears to be a slight buttery note near the back.

Big wheat and grain flavor with more of that "mustiness" coming through. Notes of apples and pears in the finish with hints of vanilla. The second sip seems a little less shocking to the palate with a mineral/club soda flavor and a bit of lime too. Some straw-like flavor later on and the finish seems to get drier too. I'm not sure, there seems to me like something is missing in this one. A touch of a cider flavor near the finish. I don't know, sometimes in the aftertaste I get an almost buttery flavor, like if it's oak aged or something.

Moderate and lively carbonation making it very refreshing and thirst quenching. Light on the tongue and a nice tart dryness in the end. Nice summer drink, glad this style is brewed somewhat locally and available in bottles.

seaoflament, Oct 27, 2009

Great to see this beer make it all the way to Masachusetts. I bought this bottle at Winchester Wine and Spirits. Poured in to a white wine glass, it actually looks a lot like white wine. It is a hazy golden straw color, and does not foam up all that much. Smell is very similar to a Sauv Blanc or perhaps a Riesling in that it is tart and has some grape character to it. Very tart to start, with a nice backing dash of carbonation. Very light in body, I would recommend serving this one cold, as it is simply not as refreshing when warm. The low alcohol level makes this one you could drink quite a few of, however, some may be put off by the sour nature of it. This is a great Berliner that competes with the German examples in many ways. I might save a bit of my bottle to see how it does with some of the syrup added. Cheers

jamie2dope, Oct 21, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

I'm pouring the contents of this 750 into a Reidel Extreme Riesling glass. Yougoddaproblemwiddat?!

Well the first pour has a body colored like a lighter Reisling - almost Champagne-like. However, the yeasty wisps that pass for a head on a typical Berliner Weisse are present here. Not too heavy on lacing or carbonation. The second pour yields more of a shallow, light, lemon-meringue head with almost a slight bluish tint. Still not a great deal of staying power, resulting in those wispy trails.

This has a much stronger depth than your average Berliner Weisse. It's almost a Belgian-ish yeast strain, along with great lemony citrus sour notes. It may be power of suggestion, but there are some sweet Riesling notes and almost a Belgian pale malt/wheat deal going on.

This isn't my wheelhouse. I enjoy the style but just don't do enough of them. I like the piney mild hop and light malt backbone of this - it's much more deep than others in the style - it is light has hell but has a great deal of soul. The citrus isn;t overly puckering and blends well with the wheat and surprisingly spritely carbonation.

Palate feel is a little lighter than average for the style but what makes up for it is the depth of the grains here. The citrus lemon sour is muted with warmth and continues to get help from the wheat on the finish, which is enjoyable yet benign.

This drinks reasonably well; it may be a little TOO benign in spots while the grains have a little bit of heft that can be filling. Nevertheless, this is quite an enjoyable beverage. Wish I had more of this over the summer.

IBUnit63, Oct 21, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

From a 750 ml bottle. Very pale yellow and cloudy. A big fluffy head turned into a few bubbles left on top. This is style is really different, and I have yet to try one with the raspberry or woodruff syrup but I like them as they are.
The smell is all tart citrus.
The taste is the same tart citrus. Comparing this to some of the other Berliner Weisse beers I have tried this one is not quite as tasty. This one could have used a one of the syrups more so than the others. But is still a very tasty beer.
The 750 ml bottle was great for a glass each for two. Of all the different beers I've had my wife try this is one style she really enjoys.

confer, Oct 18, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a capped 750ml bottle into a Struise tulip. Extra special thanks to heliosphann for this bottle from our recent trade!

A: Pours a very hazy and pale, straw-yellow color with a brilliant, bright-white head on top that tops out at about 1 1/2 fingers. The foam quickly melted away leaving just a trace of skim and virtually no lace.

S: Interesting aroma that swings from tart and lemony to toasted crackery wheat. Slightly funky with more citrus as it warms. The final pour held aromas of green grapes and apples.

T: My first sip was a HUGE mouthful of toasted wheat bread crust and crackers. Awesome! After that, the taste seemed to go back and forth between that and tart, lemon-y citrus. Never settling into any pattern. Some sips even featured both flavors. Usually tart and fruity in the beginning and toasted wheat in the finish, but not always.

M: Slightly spicy, and most certainly tangy and puckery. The wheat adds a dry astringency that borders on peppery.

D: What a refreshing beer. I can see how this could be sipped on all day with little to no consequences. Superb!

GbVDave, Oct 13, 2009

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter. The color is a nice hazy, pale straw yellow with a bit of head. The head wasn't as big as other wheat based beers, but still managed to hang on for the entire ride.

The smell is acidic but otherwise pretty mellow. Not much fruit to speak of, mostly just tart acidic aromas complimented by some wheat and pale malt character in the background.

The taste is very interesting, especially since I'm pretty new to the world of Berliner Weisse beers and sour beers in general. Very tart, slightly fruity but mostly pale and acidic. The wheat gives it a nice body and character, complimenting the tartness. However, the finish has a strange tortilla chip flavor to it that is slightly off putting if you dwell on it too much...

Overall, pretty good. I would like to try this with some syrup.

ClevoPiwo, Oct 11, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -33.8%

I just didn't dig this one. The pour wasn't too bad. Light, hazy straw colored. Decent, loose frothy head on the pour, pearly white. Not a ton of retention but decent lacing. The smell was very interesting. Unconventional but interesting. Plenty of toasted wheat and some odd spices. Yeasty but not overly estery. Some tartness, but again, odd. The taste was full of the toasted wheat but with some unidentifiable off flavors, or what I feel were off. This was washed away but a lemon water or watered down lemonade type flavor. Some tart fruits before the lemon water but very light in both fruit and tartness. The mouthfeel was very watery and the carbonation couldn't help it. The low ABV would help the drinkability but the off flavors and watered down mouthfeel doesn't make me want to drink this.

pwoods, Oct 08, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +2%

capped 750ml

Pours a super pale yellow with a small white head. A delicate nose of lemon and soft toasty wheat. Very light in body, with crisp lively carbonation. Light, slightly tart, extremely refreshing and very drinkable. This is the kind of "extreme style" i would like to see more breweries doing, with that said, The Bruery nailed it.

ATPete, Oct 06, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

Received this brew recently from the every generous Gibby. I love The Bruery and after drinking New Glarus's Berliner Weiss, I'm a fan of those too. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip while watching Minnesota vs. Green Bay on Monday Night Football (F bomb I hate Brett Favre... but go Vikings).

Appearance- Pours a super hazy light yellowish white with a big two finger head that is bright white and super creamy. The beer is super effervescent but manages to maintain no cap collar or lacing.
Smell- Super wheaty (or floury) and grainy. The brew actually smells like dried corn that has been crushed during harvest back in good ol' Illinois. Slightly vinegary and tart in the nose with a subtle white wine like aspect. Doesn't smell particularly sour but I guess well soon find out.
Taste- Starts lightly tart and semi vinous with a berry like bite right from the start. Like the nose it's grainy and raw with that crushed maize and flour like characteristic. Starts very clean and sharp with a light white grape and peach aspect. Finishes almost the exact opposite as it starts, once the tartness fades a light dirty earthiness sets in. That earthiness seems to linger well into the finish along with an abundance of that raw grain.
Mouthfeel- Thin but the carbonation is strong lending itself to the smaller body making for a nice feel and what I'd expect from a beer of this type.
Drinkability- Sitting at 3.1% this thing isn't going to be anywhere near hard to drink. The beer is lightly tart and super refreshing and oh so delicious. Honestly I think I like New Glarus's a TAD better since it's filtered and has less of that floury/wheat bite. Either way, lame bitching aside, great beer. Thanks Jeff!

younger35, Oct 06, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a pale yellow, straw yellow, couldn't be yellower, more yellow than mellow yellow. Very pale, almost colorless, a bit hazy though, but fairly clear, with a nice white head that forms on top. The head dies quickly to nothing, and leaves no lacing from the start. Not bad, but I guess that it actually looks quite average. The smell is nice, though all descriptors I could use would sound kind of disgusting. The first thing you get is burnt garbage, like stale bread, old vegetables, rotting starches (trust me on this, I have roommates that keep potatoes until they rot), with just a bit of tartness underneath it all. This is just right I would say - about the only time that hot garbage could be a good smell. The taste is right on too. Nice and tart, with a good back of pale graininess. Not much sweetness, it doesn't need much, just enough to balance the tartness a bit. So light and refreshing, but so interesting with the sour tastes. This yeast profile is actually a bit familiar to me, it reminds me of wild yeast that I caught in my own house - not overpoweringly sour and tart, no taste a vinegar, just a nice pleasant, slightly chalky tartness. A bit of the garbage comes in with the finish as you swallow the smell down. I'm a fan. The body is thin, of course, what else would you expect at this ABV, which I would say is right on for the style. The tartness fixes it back up. Pretty good, for 3.1. The drinkabiliy is just great. Perfect for a session beer. Light, refreshing, low in ABV, and the taste is just challenging and enjoyable enough that I could drink this a lot. When everyone asks "What beer would you choose if it could only be one for the rest of your life?" (assuming that it wasn't going to be your last by far, I suppose) I could probably be happy with this. So very simple and nice.

taylorhamrick, Oct 02, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

A: It's a murky straw yellow. Very cloudy with a very big white head that disappated very quickly leaving only one single lace around the edges of the beer.

S: Tart fruit and funk. It is not overly pungent.

T:Acidic and tart lemon. The sourness is very subdued and enjoyable.

M: So much flavor so such a low abv. The acidity is nice along with a slight dryness and funkiness.

D: I could easily sip on this throughout the day. I would never have guessed it to be so low in alcohol, but all of the flavors are great.

mikey711, Sep 23, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

750ml bottle received in trade from BevMoIan. Thanks! Poured into a Berliner Kindl Berliner weisse bowl. Sampling this plain w/o syrup to get a better, before experimenting with the traditional raspberry and woodruff syrups. Really happy to see the Bruery release this style and get some life brought back into what has been almost a dead style.

A - Pours a very pale, cloudy yellow (almost lemonade like in appearance) with a fluffy one finger white head that dissipates quickly, but leaves a thin layer of bubbles on the surface that appears alive with bubbles popping and being immediately replaced from below with a never-ending supply of new ones.

S - Smells heavily of brett with its dinstinct funky, bitter and sour smelling character.

T - Sour, acidic, slightly vinegary. Some lemony citrus A breadlike maltiness comes in at the end. Not as sour as some other Berliner Weisse's I've tried, but stil very tart and refreshing.

M - Sour and puckering, leaves a lingering dryness behind in the mouth the urges another sip. Very good. Body is thin and water-like. Carbonation is very high and serves to push the sour aspects to the forefront.

D - At 3.1%, this is practically non-alcoholic...good alternative to lemonade on a hot day. Very easy drinking, if you are into sour/wild ales, this will fit the bill nicely. Probably too tart for people not accustomed to sours. Adding the traditional syrups to this beer will only make it more drinkable (especially for newbies), but I like it just fine by itself.

portia99, Sep 20, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

Pale gold color with some haziness. Not much white head, fairly fizzy though. Aroma is slightly funky, with a hint of spicing, and a grassy earthiness.

The flavor is light and pleasant: lemongrass, citrics, a little bit of wheat flavor, a bit of funk. Very refreshing, with the nice tartness. Low alcohol, easy sipper. Pretty great.

BretSikkink, Sep 19, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

I've had this on tap many times so now it's time to review the bottles. Consumed on 9/13/2009 and poured into my Moonlight pint glass. The beer is light straw golden with a fizzy white head and decent retention.

The nose is grassy, with a lot of lemon. Actually, the bottle has noticeably changed since I first had it a few weeks back. There's a lot more lemon now than before. Brett imparts a musty and tart quality. Notes of wheat are evident, and there's no alcohol at all.

What a flavorful beer. Excellent tart quality and a nice tart and musty Brett character. There's a decided zing of lemon, as well as notes of ripe apples. There's a wheat quality to the beer. The finish is lemon and tart with a nice lactic sourness. Excellent!

The beer is light bodied with a nice high medium level of carbonation a crisp mouthfeel. This is a hell of a beer.

HopHead84, Sep 14, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

On-tap at Toronado:

Served to me in a tulip. First time having this style of beer. Smelled kind of bad actually. Like cat piss and barnyard funk. Luckily the taste was stellar. Nice lemony sourness and acidity. It could almost be lemonade. Would definitely get again.

Trappissed, Sep 13, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Here we go again. Much, much thanks to the wonderful BA that sent me this bottle as an extra of all things! Enormous generosity here and much thanks. This one was busted out with dinner on Labor Day. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, it was consumed on 09/07/2009.

The pour was magnificent. Rich and very bright golden yellow coming through wonderfully here. Huge head of white towers over the top of it and only barely settles down leaving tons of white lacing up and down the sides of the glass and a rich looking amount of carbonation on the insides of the glass. Huge tart aroma here. Sour just dripping off of it, running into a wonderful light wheat and grass like base. Very bright, you could pick up from across the room with ease. Even warming brought out some light bready notes but hints of lemon and tart apples still predominate. So I take a sip and I am floored. I am not really sure what this style is supposed to be, but wow. Light, crisp, clean, with rich carbonation and a smooth, rich feel that is second it none. Light grain and grassy notes, hints of sour and tart fruits are all blending together nearly flawlessly. Long and very dry finish only serves to further nail down the point that this was as solid as it gets. I really could have drank half a dozen of these, they were just that good. It was unreal how smooth and refreshing it was..

Overall, wow, just wow. I was not sure what to make of this offering, but if this is a year round thing, I am really, really impressed. One of the light, most easy to drink things I have run across in a very long time. Go get this one, go get this one now.

mikesgroove, Sep 09, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured via growler on 8/3/09. Thanks to unclejedi for sending this during the final phase of Growling at the Moon!

A - Poured a hazy pale straw-colored body with two fingers of dense, rocky white foam that receded quickly and disappeared, leaving only traces of lacing. Surprisingly lacking in carbonation bubbles, especially for the style.

S - Mild sour apple tartness up front with some spicy notes, followed by some fruity melon notes and honey sweetness in the back. There is also a faint floral character and some perfumy attributes present.

T - Subtle sour apple notes with a hint of fruity sweetness suggesting melons and honey. Finishes with a toasted grainy character, which complements the tartness quite nicely.

M - Light bodied with a mild syrupy texture, but pretty thin and softly carbonated overall, especially for the style. Minimal pucker on the palate with only a hint of tart sourness.

D - Good representation of the style, though it was a little undercarbonated, probably from the long journey from California. However, I found this to be a well-balanced Berliner Weiss that was refreshing and not overly tart.

ffejherb, Aug 31, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

On at Bailey's Taproom, served in a 10 oz. glass. With summer winding down, seemed like a good beer to enjoy on a Monday afternoon.

A: The typical pale golden pour, lightly hazy. Small carbonation rises throughout and at varying speeds; somehow I'm reminded of The Matrix. Nearly a finger of white foam, falling to a clinging ring, leaving no lace.

S: Light honey-sweetened malt, blanketed by tart funk. Musty wet hay, dirty. Yet appealing, somehow...

T: Nice! Could stop the review right there...but I won't. Yes, there's the requisite lemony tartness, but this has more lime and tangy citrus (pink grapefruit?). Beyond the doughy yeast and spiced wheat, there are deeper and more curious spice notes (nutmeg? allspice?). Packed with flavor, why anyone might choose to denigrate this by adding a traditional syrup is beyond me.

M: Vibrant and crisp, one of the most 'refreshing' feels I recall. The effervescence doesn't get overly prickly, nor does the lasting tartness become overly pucker-inducing. Just a beautifully light and clean-finishing treat.

D: Toyed with a lower score, but really wasn't sure why I'd give LESS than a 5; drinkability is just about perfect. Intensely flavorful + terrific feel + minute ABV = 'outstanding' for my tastes. Highly recommended and one I plan to have again ASAP. Like right now...Geoff, can I get another?

msubulldog25, Aug 25, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at Teresa's Next Door

A-Pours a clear light gold with no real head or lacing.

S-Grassy and slightly sour with a bit of funkiness as well.

T-Medium sourness dominates the front, then a bit wheaty and some light grassy hops in the finish.

M-Light bodied and crisp.

D-Perfect refresher on a day with lots of great beers to try.

HV

sholland119, Aug 24, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

I had this on tap @ Teresa's Next Door Beer Geek Brunch. Served chilled in a goblet.

A - Pale golden w/ no head, a ring of tiny beads forms. The clarity is lightly hazed w/ visible carbonation

S - Mild lemony and lactic sour aroma w/ a white grape sweet juice note

M - Sour at first w/ mild acidity and a very fruity sour juiciness w/ lots of carbonation. A mild spiced middle and dry clean finish

T - A crisp, juicy and sour acidic flavor w/ an apple-like tartness w/ mild spiciness in the sips after the initial jolt w/ a slight white grape note mild acidity in the second tastes similar to gewurtztraminer w/ a spiced hint of wheat and mild sweet note w/ light pepper and gentle green apple which carries into the finish

D - Very good example of a Berliner IMO, I am very glad I tried it on tap after only having a sample of a bottle at EBF earlier this year. The mild abv makes for a drinkable sour, a good way to start brunch.

Slatetank, Aug 24, 2009