Hottenroth Berliner Weisse - The Bruery

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008

Reviews: 423 | Hads: 1,542
4.73/5  rDev +17.7%

Love this beer!!

Very unique tart and sour finish, while still maintaining the beer notes that I would expect. This beer has a hazy yellow color with a very thin white head. If you smell it, you can't tell immediately what lies ahead for it has a very grainy and refreshing hop scent.

The drinkability and taste is where this beer really shines. I could drink this beer all day and never feel heavy or due for sugar shock, it ranks right up there with the light beers in refreshingness, and back with the dark beers in satisfaction and depth.

Simply a must try!

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

Crystal clear pale yellow on the pour with a quickly dissipating paper white champagne like head. It dissipates to zilch, nothing, zero cap. No lacing is evident whatsoever. All of that fits the style guidlines perfectly. 5/5

Green apples, pinot, putrid wheaties, and tart citrus dominate the nose. This smells great! 4.5/5

Wonderfully sour taste has a hint of bleu cheese and tons of crisp rolled wheat comes across the soft palate on the finish. Its not super complex but it is so wonderfully good at what it does its worth the price of admission. 4.5/5

Thin, brisk, highly carbonated, and refreshing. Primo. 5/5

Do beers get any easier to drink than this? I think not! Another top score it is! 5/5

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Review includes Hottenroth with woodruff, and without.

1) WITH WOODRUFF (traditional method):

Appearance - Bright, bright turquoise and neon with bubbly champagne head. Head has traces of neon blue. Like Scope. Very interesting. Quite active in the glass.

Smell - Faint lemon peel, bubble gum ice cream, straw, candy, floral and plant-like.

Taste - Sorbet, Christmas cake/ fruitcake, elderberries, pot-pourri, green jelly, cloves, flowers, mint, cane sugar, elements of a lambic yet less sour and more floral, herbal notes. Clean yeasty notes. Wheat with lemon peel and lime Kool-aid. The lactobacillus and brett really balances the sugar and helps pulls all the syrup notes together.

Mouthfeel - Strong carbonation which works great with this beer. Clean and quick finish. Very nice.

Overall - This is where cocktails meet lambic/ sours. Incredibly unique. This may be the ultimate seasonal wheat beer when wanting to mix things up! I imagine drinking this at Christmas or on a hot summer day and having it blow my mind. There is no other style of beer that tastes anything like this when done the traditional way. Very earthy, floral and tart. Easily one of the most unique beers I've had in years.

2) WITHOUT WOODRUFF (non-traditional):

Appearance - Yellow/ golden with a slightly cloudy appearance. Bright, white head. Quite active in the glass.

Smell - Tart and dry. Lemon/ lemon peel, hay, straw, wheat, Significantly less sweetness (as expected, due to no syrup). Much more sour on the nose.

Taste - Wheat, hay, subtle pineapple, lemon, faint cloves and/or coriander. Strong acidity. Much dryer and tart without woodruff. It may go without saying, but this is significantly less complex on its own.

Mouthfeel - Dry and sour. Very similar to a lambic. Like biting into a lemon. Great feel.

Overall - Do yourself a favor and find some woodruff. Syrup is a must with this style of beer.

4.64/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Hottenroth is exceptionally lively, with torrents of tiny bubbles rising from the etching at the bottom of my Stella glass. The body is ever so slightly hazed, and the palest shade of amber one can imagine. Head forms in a frenzy, but quickly fades to nothing.

S: Bouquet is a bit shy, giving only the slightest hint of lemons.

T: Bone dry and exceptionally tart, this brew is both refreshing and delicious. Granny smith apples and lemonade meld together to form an deliciously tart treat.

M: Light, clean, and incredibly effervescent.

D: An outstanding example of one of the most fascinating styles of brew. I highly recommend this to any fan of sour brews, as it is quite delicious.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured in teku. Pours straw yellow, very clear, two finger white head with some big bubbles, once they fade the beer looks like a Chardonnay. Smell is slightly funky, bready, some citrus,. Taste hits you with pucker right up front, sour lemon, some wheat, some nice sweetness. The texture is very light, leaves your mouth watering for more. This beer is very good. An easy drinking sour that's abv is close to water. So glad I got to try this great sour.

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am usually a stout and dark beer person, but this is the perfect compliment when mixed in with all those heavy beers. I have had this beer both from the tap and also from a bottle, and both experiences were similar, this review focuses on the bottle.

The beer pours a very light orange straw color, with small head. The aroma is slightly citrusy, but nothing overpowering.

The taste is very nice, with hints of citrus (mostly lemon), over the wheat, overall just a nice refreshing beer that I enjoyed in the sun. This is one of the easiest drinking beers that I have tasted, and I would recommend it to anyone (Unless you are trying to get drunk, as it is only 3.1% alcohol).

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a very light yellow in color. A sizeable head forms and retains ok, but then is gone completely after a minute or two. No lacing because there is no head on top.

S- Light a fruity. Only a slight bit of wheat grain at the beginning, with more of a lightly tart scent. The tart smell is very lemony and acidic, but lightly so. Lots more wheat grain scent on the end of the drink.

T- Just like the smell. Starts with a predominantly tart flavor before moving towards a wheat flavor. Sour profile is very mild, and feels like it is leading up to a sour punch (like a Belgian) then just trails off. Light wheat flavors start mixing in after the tartness and take you to the end of the drink. Lingering grainy and tart flavors on the tongue make this a thirst quencher.

M- Light and very carbonated. This is easy drinking as it is both low in alcohol and its level of sour.

Overall, this is the best Berliner Weisse I've had, and I think it would stand up to comparison to most Belgian sours out there. Not quite the sour punch of a lambic, but the quality is every bit as good as a Cantillon or 3F.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Here we go again. Much, much thanks to the wonderful BA that sent me this bottle as an extra of all things! Enormous generosity here and much thanks. This one was busted out with dinner on Labor Day. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, it was consumed on 09/07/2009.

The pour was magnificent. Rich and very bright golden yellow coming through wonderfully here. Huge head of white towers over the top of it and only barely settles down leaving tons of white lacing up and down the sides of the glass and a rich looking amount of carbonation on the insides of the glass. Huge tart aroma here. Sour just dripping off of it, running into a wonderful light wheat and grass like base. Very bright, you could pick up from across the room with ease. Even warming brought out some light bready notes but hints of lemon and tart apples still predominate. So I take a sip and I am floored. I am not really sure what this style is supposed to be, but wow. Light, crisp, clean, with rich carbonation and a smooth, rich feel that is second it none. Light grain and grassy notes, hints of sour and tart fruits are all blending together nearly flawlessly. Long and very dry finish only serves to further nail down the point that this was as solid as it gets. I really could have drank half a dozen of these, they were just that good. It was unreal how smooth and refreshing it was..

Overall, wow, just wow. I was not sure what to make of this offering, but if this is a year round thing, I am really, really impressed. One of the light, most easy to drink things I have run across in a very long time. Go get this one, go get this one now.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Crystal clear pale yellow with a thin white head that settles to a few patches of foam floating on top.

S - Fruity with apple, lemon and pears. Earthy and tart with a sweet breadyness.

T - Fairly tart with lemon, apple and a hint of citrus. Earthy with more green apple and a bit of wheat breadyness.

M - Light and bubbly with lingering tartness.

D - This is damn tasty and would make a great summer quencher and nice lawn mower beer. Would have never guessed it was 3.1%.

4.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into a Bruery Tulip. I think this bottle has at least a year of age on it.

A - Pours a clear glowing gold with a thin white head that dissipates quickly, leaving just a slight stream of bubbles. Berliner Weiss is a weird animal.
S - Deliciously crisp aromas of green apples, lemon juice, wheat, earthy Brett, and tangy, funky Lacto. Amazing.
T - Pretty similar to the nose, lots of green apple, lemon juice, wheat and funky barnyard flavors. Not as puckeringly-sour as a fresh bottle, the Brett got a nice little foothold in this. Wonderfully complex, especially for a 3% ABV beer.
M - Light bodied with lively carbonation. Crisp and dry, very reminiscent of a dry white wine.
D - Very tart and refreshing, perfect on a hot day. I threw back a couple of these one day while painting my kitchen, definitely helped make it bearable. This is a really nice example of a fairly uncommon beer style that I love to introduce non-beer drinkers to.

4.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

#870/871 03/25/13
12:48 002128

A: Hazy, almost cloudy, bright golden-orange yellow with a fizzy, white head that bubbles up quickly and fades just as quickly. No lace or retention. As it should be.

S: Nose is really dry, funky, and unique. I'm at the last glass of the bottle and I still can't figure out what I'm smelling. A bouquet of tart lemon juice, hay, barnyard, yeast...and...it just smells like a brewhouse. Which is awesome.

T: Taste is similar. Very dry, tart, fruity, yeasty, and ultimately funky. Fantastic carbonation and a proper body for this style. So much flavor and such a joy to drink.

M: The finish is just ridiculous. Creamy (might be because I poured some sediment in), yeasty, funky goodness.

O: It's super hot and humid tonight so this is perfect. I love this style more and more with each example I try. This one is world class as far as I can tell. Especially for an American brewer. This particular style is about to blow up. It's already popping up at more breweries and is building a following. Who doesn't love a refreshing, funky, low ABV beer? I've been searching for this beer for a few years and didn't really know why. I just had a feeling. Now I know my instincts were spot-on.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

A: pours clear straw yellow, with a initially two finger head which settled to a thin white layer.
S: a sharp/tart wheat, kristalweizen like banana and bubble gum.
T: tart, but not overly. Wheat and tartness lends to a light lemon flavor. Very crisp and refreshing
M: very crisp, light on the palate with prickly carbonation.
O: between Berliner Weiss and Gose two hard to find styles in, mainly by different brewers yet are my favorites.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served from the bottle into an oversized wine glass

A- Pours a pale yellow with a one and a half finger head. The head had tiny and medium sized bubbles popping all around the glass. Head dissipated rapidly as expected.

S- Strong aroma of lemon, pepper, white wine, wheat, and a little funky hay.

T- Wow that is sour. I have never had a beer this sour, I am pretty new to sours though. Huge sour lemon notes, big wheat bill, pepper, and white wine characteristics. There is a mild hay taste too, the hay funk is kind of an acquired taste I imagine, but that was the only drawback in the taste for me.

M- Very dry beer, drinks almost like champagne, highly acidic, lots of carbonation

O- This is a very tart and sour beer, mouth puckering sour and delicious. I really enjoyed this and look forward to trying more sours. I can see me getting beer quite a few more times. The dryness, acidity, and some of the taste remind me very much of white wine.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

I think I had this beer in my proper cellar for about 10 months or so.

A- lemon-straw yellow with a quickly dissipating white head.

S- lemon citus and wheat. The wheat goes from pure wheat to sort of a bready wheat the longer you smell.

T- sour/tart lemon, wheat. And very very faint hops

M- on watery side but I would expect that from a 3% beer

D- I think I am going to down the entire 750 by myself. This is one fantastic brew and will get it again for sure

4.53/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fantastically dry and painfully delicious. It invites sip after sip with a mouth stripping sour dryness. So tart, so delicious. Its better than candy ever could be. Its a sadomasochistic dream of a beer. Drink the 750ml to yourself but its better shared with friends. After all, how much fun is sadomasochism by yourself?

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Hazy pale yellow in color with about one finger of foam that dissipates quickly.

S: Tart lemon, grapes, wheat, and maybe some sour apples.

T: Very tart initially, more sour apple flavor here than I would have thought from the nose, the lemon is definitely there. Nice cereal type taste from the wheat to give it a bit more depth.

M: Very light on the tongue, both in terms of carbonation and body.

D: A solid beer, my favorite so far from The Bruery. This is pretty much my go to beer from them. Just about every time I go to the tasting room, I leave with my growler filled with this.

This beer was split 3 ways from 75cl bottle

It pours a very cloudy very pale straw, one of the lightest colored beers I've seen. A brilliant white head sits above it.

The smell has a ton of lactic sourness. Tart fruit notes like peaches and white grapes are the other dominating aromas. It is really pleasant and so refreshing and tart.

The taste is much like the smell. A huge wave of mouth puckering tart and sourness is the first thing that hit me. Then a ton of white grape and green apple hits me, reminiscent of a Riesling wine that has gone sour.

The body is very light with such a high carbonation which makes this the ultimate summer refreshment. I don't have a huge familiarity with this style but this one hits all the notes for me.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Very tart nose, wheat, acidic. Palate: acidic, lemony, hazy pale straw, head is large and fluffy but quickly dissipates, very highly effervesce, light tart, refreshing, no hops, light fruitiness, light body, high carbonation, no alcohol presence, refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

2011 vintage from The Bruery.

Pour: Golden, straw colored body with a prickly white carbonation much like a white wine. The bubbles quickly recede and leave themselves along the glass.

Nose: Crisp granny smith apples, straw, slight lemon zest or rhind, wheat, salt, grass and pear.

Taste: Lemon zest, granny smith apples, wheat, salt and straw to begin. Mid palate the taste is more tart lemons and apple and a finish of pear, grass and mineral.

Mouthfeel: Drying like champagne after an initially prickly white wine body. Crisp.

Overall: My first of this style, this is exceptionally like the BA description. A fantastic beer, I'll enjoy this often over this summer. Absolutely fantastic.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Wow. I have had more sour beers, but never a tart I liked as much as this one. It feels like I am drinking a large glass of wine.

The fruity, yeasty taste is barely tempered by any of the usual beer hops or malt tastes. The yeast is the story, and it is wonderful.

The aftertaste is to die for - I hope to burp for a long time! The very low alcohol is nice for a change, the balance is kept, but it could stand more malt and the resultant kick. This is highly recommended.

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Growler from the Bruery. This is the second batch of this beer. The last batch had a nice tartness develop over time, but this one is much more sour to begin. This batch is more "on the mark" for the style and I am interested to see how this one changes over time as well.

A: Very light straw and hazy, a lot of light comes through this one. Head is very lively and luscious then settles down to nothing within a couple minutes.

S: Tart with some limited sour fruitiness.

T: Tart and citric flavors cascade on the center of the tongue and intensify before dissolving. Not quite a fruity flavor, but shares some similar acidic notes. As the tart fades after I swallow, some wheat flavors come through.

M: Light body and a good carbonation goes well with tartness. I love how simple this beer is, yet how beautifully these elements come together.

D: Tart and crisp, it a perfectly sessionable sour. I have drank growlers of this beer and had on tap numerous occasions and cannot get enough of the stuff. I wish the berliner weissbier was a more popular style.

I really enjoy this beer. Fantastic to enjoy almost anytime, or try adding some fruit syrups.

Review updated 10/31/09. Drinking this again, also had some more examples of the style since originally posted. This is the best one I have tasted, bumping up the taste score to reflect this.

4.48/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours a clear, straw, white-wine-like color with a large white head that disappears slowly. Scent is tart lemon with some wheat and grain in the nose. Nice citrus aromas with bright, tart fruit notes. Taste is initially like a very light wheat beer that lacks in all the clove and coriander flavors (which is a good thing) and is replaced by tart lemon and citrus notes. Pleasant yeast flavors make the tart flavors more mellow than they want to be. Finishes with lovely lemon and wheat flavors. Mouthfeel is EXTREMELY light and airy...perfect for this style in beer. Drinkability is EXTREMELY high. Overall, this is an outstanding beer that represents this style to a tee. With such low ABV and such high drinkability, this beer is perfect for session drinking and hot summer days/nights.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

A- not much to speak of here, a finger of head that fades to nothing. not much visible carbonation, but the clarity is brilliant, and the faded ocre reveals streaks of green.

S- green apple, subtle funk notes, lemon zest

T- superb, a well balanced tart attack and super dry finish. great green tart apple, pungent lemon zest, and a little bit of barnyard even. for such a low ABV, the balance and robustness of flavors is stunning, so well rounded and pronounced.

M- thin but great prickly carbonation, full and crisp.

O- best berliner weiss i've had to date, great balance and flavor profile. also extremely sessionable.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle. Aroma: Lots of funk, white wine (cat piss), lemon. Weird but nice. Appearance: Milky yellow with small head. It’s far from cute but it is so unusual I kinda like it. Taste: Packed with flavors I can’t believe it. Lots of lemon, brett. This is very dry and very tart. I love it. Palate: Dry, thin Overall: This is the more drinkable and refreshing beer I’ve ever had. This 3% berliner weisse couldn’t have been better executed. If it wasn’t for the price tag and availabilty, that’d be my go to summer beer. Best surprise in a long time.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

sampled april 10/2010 as part of our giant bruery tasting. Viggo and ritzkiss provided the brews, so thanks to eric and eric!

750ml bottle.

pours hazy super pale yellow, almost white, with a small white head. the head drops fairly fast with only a few spots of lace.

aroma is great. lemony. bit of cider vinegar. a bit spicy. light acidity. orange peel.

taste is great. lemony. cider and malt vinegar. white bread and cracker. touch of orange peel. light vinegar and acidity. very light and refreshing.

mouthfeel is great. super light body. medium-low carbonation level.

drinkability is great. light, well balanced, and super drinkable. a great refreshing summer brew.

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery