Hottenroth Berliner Weisse - The Bruery

Berliner Weissbier |  3.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008

Reviews: 423 | Hads: 1,541
4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured this 750 mL brown bottle into a becker glass. No date. The pale body looked a lot like ginger-ale. The bright white head was spritzy and dissolved quickly.

Smell was spicy, ginger-like. Fresh grass. Lightly herbaceous.

Taste was cheek puckering sour. Yummy lemon (sort of like Alka Seltzer cold medicine - in a good way!). Pretty drying. Salty. This seem like the ultimate summer session beer.

Mouthfeel was light bodied. Crisp, with tiny carbonation. Nice. I think this is my first Berliner Weiss.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to macmaster761

750ml poured into classic Duvel tulip. Comsumed w/o flavored syrup that might traditionally be used with a Berliner Weisse.

A: Very pale yellow similar to the color of the label. A little more than two weeks after Easter and the color of this beer reminds me of fluffy coat of a newly born chick. Nice white head leaves only a thin layer.

S: Tartness is very much present. Citrus zest. Some lactic sourness. Kind of reminds me of yellow sour patch kids.

T: First impression is that I expected it to be a bit more sour. Very enjoyable. Tart, but certainly not mouth-puckering. Reminiscent of Squirt or Fresca soda. Lightly sweetened lemonade, fresh lime and grapefruit, bitter orange. Dryish finish.

M: Carbonation is light and spritzy. Overall I feel the mouthfeel is a little thin.

D: Initially I wanted to gulp this down, but as I near the end of my first glass I can see the tartness getting to me just a bit. That said, at just 3.1 abv this is certainly sessionable if the tart qualities aren't a put off.

I have virtually no experience with this style, so keep that in mind when considering this review. I understand the basic tenents of the style, but have only had a few examples.

Overall I am really glad I got to try this. It has encouraged me to seek out other similar beers. I feel like this would be an excellent warm weather beer and would pair up wonderfully with light salads, fruit, and grilled chicken and seafood.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

The Bruery's Hottenroth Berliner Weisse has a body that is a hazy, pale, yellow. The bone white head rises up quickly to a few fingers in height, but falls pretty quickly too, until almost none of it is left. One or two small scraps of lacing hang on. Overall, pretty much what you would expect from the style.

As soon as I take the bottle cap off of Hottenroth its aroma fills the air. The main component is a definite sourness coupled with light fruits such as sour apple. The strength of the sourness makes it smell like a wild ale. After quite a bit of sniffing, I notice that the malt base is definitely wheat, but it is hidden somewhere beneath the sourness.

Hottenroth is a straight-forward brew that isn't too complex, but it is pretty refreshing. Up front there is a big blast of tartness that is slightly puckering. The light fruits from the aroma don't follow through into the flavor, but they are replaced by a pretty strong lemon flavor. Not lemonade or fake lemon, but the tart flavor that you would get from biting into a fresh lemon. After the sourness comes the grainy malted wheat, that lends a cereal type flavor to the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is slightly puckering. The body is in the medium range, but the carbonation is very high.

This beer is sour, but it lacks the intense sourness that would slow you down if you were drinking a wild ale. Combine that with a balancing wheat flavor and a very low ABV%, and the Bruery has put together a very drinkable and refreshing beer.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Thanks Kevin for sharing this!

A- relatively clear for a berliner weisse-but with that said the body was still a moderately hazy straw yellow. Pours with a 1 finger or so white head which eventually fades to a thick collar.

S- Some sour lemon, yeast, and an earthy background.

T- The flavor is mild to moderately tart with lemon being the accent of the flavor. There is a moderately bready yeast backbone to help keep this in check.

M- Body is very light-nearly watery, yet smooth and yeasty with prickly carbonation.

D- This is a great berliner. Its tart but it has a good yeastiness to back it up. The body is good-but a hair thin-which is to be expected in a brew that is 3.1% ABV. Well done overall by the bruery.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Thanks Viggo for bring this to the tasting.

I think this was one I was really looking forward to. It appears to be a rare style these days.

It pours a hazy almost pulp-like hazy straw yellow. A slight off white head that leaves very quickly. Kind of looks like a watered down grapefruit juice. neat.

There is a lot of sour and tartness in the nose, followed by that lovely funk and musty tones intertwined with barnyard and lemon zest. There is a touch of spice in it leaving the nose sharp.

The taste is wild! Funky, but shart. Lemon-lime soda with lots of sourness, crisp from the wheat in the grain bill. The funk is enough to keep this exciting with every sip.

Mild carbonation, a little light in body, thin, potentially on the watery side. A nice pucker sensation. Perfect.

I really dig this and wish I could have many of these to drink in the summer.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Grub does the pour and manages to get a nice shot of protein in the glass, which clouds the pale pastel yellow body slightly. A brief eggshell white head produces a champagne finger of foam and fizzles away to nothing. I don't expect retention or lace from this style, so the appearance is too par. A sniff reveals the expected lemon juice, but also some light funk, which has me excited. Definitely some barnyard, musty leather notes in there, which provide a great contrast with the zingy lemon notes.

The flavour is remarkable clean and refreshing. Lemonade with funk more or less nails it. The tartness is moderate, but not overly puckering, and barnyard adds depth and interest to what could otherwise be a one dimensional drink. Light body is quenching, and spot on for the flavour. It seems a bit weak in the tail, but if I'm looking for a refreshing beer I could knock back in huge amounts I'm not really looking for a heavy flavour in the finish.

Its simple, and easy to drink, which is exactly what I'd look for in a Berliner. Beers like this could easily become a summer standby for me, and its really too bad that more examples aren't brewed.

Huge thanks to viggo for bringing this to the epic Bruery tasting. Perhaps my most anticipated beer, and it wasn't a let-down.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this on-tap at the Bruery Tasting room this afternoon.

A - This was poured for me into a Bruery tulip. It pours a very light hazy yellow, with maybe a tinge of green in it. Very interesting color. Had about a one inch head to start and went down at a fairly average pace.

S - Has a musty sour smell as you would expect from this sort of sour beer. Along with some notes of grain and citrus.

T - The taste at the beginning is mild wheat along with citrus and tangy flavors. On the back end of the beer it's more sour and the citrus flavor continues.

M - Its a very thin beer but for what this beer is doing that is a good quality. Also has a good amount of carbonation.

D - Great drinkability this a beer that is not overpowering but has great very subtle flavor. It seems like a great spring/summer beer to sip on, on a nice evening. It has a nice amount of sour but is not overwhelming. I could drink a lot of this in a night which I think it great.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

750ml bottle courtesy of viggo, thanks Eric!

Pours a uber pale almost white wheat color which fizzes up on the pour and then dies down.

Delicious funk wafts up, nice and musty almost horseblanket, with a fresh lemon zest, sour.

Very fresh tasting, lots of lemon sourness, a hint of green apple tartness, bone dry, sucks the cheeks into a pucker. Almost like lemonade! sharp bubbles, this would work as a champagne. Seems a little thin compared to others in the style, almost watery in the finish which is the only thing really detracting on this one for me.

Super drinkable, I wish more people were making this style.

The top part of the bottle poured a clear, light straw colour with a short-lived, fizzy, white cap. Smells a bit sour, wet hay, faint tart berries, fruity as it warms. Light and tart in flavour, quite fruity throughout. Not overly acidic, nicely balanced with a bit of sweetness up front. A bit earthy with some straw and grass notes. Light bodied with a smooth texture and enough heft to keep from feeling thin. Carbonation was moderate. Pretty nice overall and easier drinking than some other beers in the style due to the balanced acidity.

3.62/5  rDev -10%

Pours a very pale yellow. big white head falls to about nothing. Thinnest of lace.

Big, sour aroma with hints if lemon.

Sour taste. Lemon flavor, green apple and a bit of funk. Definitely a sour beer.

Thin to medium bodied and carbonated, very low alcohol.

Decently done I guess but not for me. Little too thin and a little too sour. Well done though.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

excited to try this pale horse.. light watery yellow, like diluted urine with an enviable tart and slightly sour nose, traces of lemons. it starts with that sharpness of the tart before giving way briefly to sour notes, and finishing long with wheat.
one day, when i have this again, i'll surely introduce syrups into the beverage. next time, i will be prepared. as it is, i could drink it everyday of the summer even in alaska.

3.62/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's a Berliner Weissbier and only 3.10%. It poured a bright yellow. It smelled a bit funky, Brett, not too tart but with a bit of lemon. It tasted like sour lemons, green apples then turns to yeast. It is very light and I learned from some fabulous East Bayers that it is meant to be drunk with sweeten syrups, which I would love to try sometime.

4.16/5  rDev +3.5%

Since it feels like the first real weekend of spring here we decided to open the windows, put on some march Madness and open something light and refreshing to relax.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pair of New Glarus flute glasses. Poured a hazy, very pale yellow color with a thin white lacing barely covering the top of the beer. I was hoping it has the almost neon greed hue that 1809 has, for no other reason then I think it looks cool but it was not to be. Could have used a little better head retention as well.

The aroma is very tart and a little sour with some wheat and lemony citrus flavors coming through. The taste is pretty tart as well and moderately sour. It finishes with some lemon zest and wheat which makes it a very light and refreshing taste.

The mouthfeel is light and carbonation is moderate. it could have used a little more carbonation for the style. Drinkability is good, it's a very nice easy drinking beer for a warm day. I've only had a few beers of this style but so far I've really enjoyed the ones I've had and look forward to drinking this more often during the summer.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

pours very light yellow with a VERY subtle haze. inch+ head that quickly gives way, leaving light retention.

quite tart, hints of vinegar up front. light zest, hints of white grape.

up front, starts out zesty with hints of lemon. a nice light sourness emerges and comes to life. lots of light vinegar and white grape. through the finish, the wheat really comes out and lingers for a bit after. the wheat becomes rather bold at its peak.

very light, moderate carbonation

this is beyond drinkable. the ABV is silly low, the flavors are just enough to keep interest, and its very refreshing. i really wish i had bought like 5 of these now.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a hazy, very light straw, with creamy two finger head that fades quickly, leaving lace for a half inch or so. Smell: spicy rye and a slight sour funk, along with some cornbread. Taste: big time lemon, tart, with a little sour lemon candy thrown in there too. Something a bit undercooked yeasty dough-like about the finish. It's refreshing and sour/tart which is nice, but the 750 is certainly enough...

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

This is a beer that I have enjoyed on several occasions with a truly generous BA, mymrnngjckt. It's about time I've sat down and gave this beer its proper review.

Appearance: With an easy pour into my Duvel glass, the first thing I am greeted with is an almost overflowing amount of bone white, bubbly, fluffy head. It's actually interesting to watch, as peaks and crags of the head burst and slowly fade to a thin ring hugging the glass. The beer itself is slightly cloudy, with a soft yellow color.

Smell: The first thing I notice is a subtle tart sourness. Mixed in with that sourness is hints of grass and an almost sour citrusy quality. Not the type of citrusy that can be attributed to hops, but more like lemon zest. I have to admit, however, that what I find most intriguing about the smell is that no one part of it really overpowers another. Each portion of the smell exist in a delicious synergy that, combined, is very enjoyable.

Taste: Taste is clean, crisp, and tart. The grassy tones I picked up in the smell are virtually non-existent, and the sour mingles with the citrusy lemon zest in a tasty dance of awesome. It leaves me with a refreshed feeling, yet is so good I must go back for more.

Mouthfeel: This beer screams light, crisp, and refreshing. The mouthfeel is light, carbonation is very adequate, and it goes down easy with a slight mouth puckering tart. Very enjoyable.

Drinkability: I have to say that this beer is perhaps one of the most drinkable beers I have ever come across. It's light, crisp, has an enjoyable bit of tartness to it, all with a very sessionable 3.1% ABV. I could easily see myself enjoying a couple of bottles of this in an evening. I highly recommend trying this beer if you get the chance.

2.22/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This was the first Bruery beer that I have tried, and will try others with the hope that they will be better.
Appearance: straw colored with a decent white head.
Smell: Tart, but with a strange "spoiled" smell with no hint of wheat whatsoever.
Taste: Tart, nothing else. No hints of wheat, or any other grain. Tart!
Mouthfeel: Somewhat thin
Drinkability: This is the third drainpour I have had out of over 900 different beers sampled. It was just very sour, with no other characteristics that would give it at least some personality. The two friends I shared it with totally agreed.

3.76/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sampled September 2009
A careful pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip produces an almost four-finger thick, pale white colored head that leaves a hint of lacing on the sides of my glass as it slowly subsides. The beer is a pale gold color that shows a lightly hazed, straw, pale-gold color and a distinct white sheen when held up to the light. The aroma is yeasty, a bit grassy, with fresh crushed wheat aromatics, a big lactic note (not just sour either, but distinctly has a lactic sort of creamy note that I can smell, though how I can smell a texture I don't really know), and a hint of urea. If you dig around in the finish there is a musty, light mushroom note, some touches of musk, a light phenolic-soaked cotton note and a touch of funky foot. The aroma is pretty spot on for the style, but I wish the Brettanomyces funk had come through a bit more.

The beer tastes nicely tart as it hits my tongue, it is cool as well and the combination makes this quite refreshing. The lactic charater does indeed have a creamy texture to it (just like I smelled) and there is an amply prickly carbonation that adds a texture that offsets the creaminess and makes this light bodied brew that much more quaffable. This is indeed the Champagne of the north, it has the ample carbonation, light palate and slight creaminess that fits the description quite well. There is also a yeasty flavor to this beer, it is not really rubber-like and actually adds a nice complexity to the beer, but it isn't quite the same as the rich autolyzed flavor that is found in a traditional Champagne either. There is a nice, lightly grassy, tart accentuating, pale wheat character here that is combined with a dusty, freshly crushed wheat berry flavor. A 750ml bottle of this just disappears incredibly quickly.

This is quite to style (which calls for clean with a solid tartness); the promise of Brettanomyces on the label has me wishing for more funkiness as this is on the low side, but it does have a nice gripping sourness and it is quite clean and light. This is most definitely refreshing and a testament to the style. I could wish for more funk and complexity here, despite the fact that the style doesn't call for it. In the end this is still a really, really nice beer. I wonder if the Brettanomyces will contribute more character over time; there is only one way to tell, and I have a couple bottles to lay down and try the process out.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

My first dabbel with the style so I'm not sure what to expect. I've heard a lot but I'm excited to finally try one.

A= pours a nearly clear color. Light yellowish ting to it almost a light green color I wanna say. Strange indeed. A nice thin perfectly white colored head comes up to about a finger and sticks around there leaving nice lacing as I drink.

S= This is where it gets really odd. Nothing like a beer I've ever smelled. Really hay and grassy smelling. A nice sourness to it. Almost smells like some sort of spoiled milk product. Pungent too; I can smell it from a ways away and it fills the room with the smell. As I adjuct I get the hay wheaty smell more.

T= Delicious! Like I said I've never played with this style before and upon first sip I like it. Sour is there for sure which I love. This sour is a very very very clean sour however. The spoiled dairy smell is not present in the taste at all. The sourness takes over the tongue and then vanishes in the finish where there is great wheat flavor after it goes down. Really smooth finish to this beer. Hay is a good word to use to the describe the finish. Awesome taste.

M= Crisp and Clean. Like a nice sour beer. Dry finish.

D= Awesome. At 3.1% it doesn't get much better for a session. Great beer for a summer afternoon for sure I'm happy I bought more on a whim when I was in Wisconsin. Awesome drinkability.

3.3/5  rDev -17.9%

So after having 1809 this just feels a little weak to be honest. I get a lot of one dimensional lactic acid from this, that gets boring quickly. I don't get any of the lemon, citrus or anything like that, I was hoping for so much more from the Bruery.

The carbonation was a little light for the style, which is supposed to be highly carbonated around 4 volumes. This felt more like 2.5, similar to an American pale to me.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Pours a foggy white haze with a medium sized head, moderate retention, decent lacing.
Smell is tart and bready.
Taste is the same, sourdough, lemony citrus, malt?. Not as sour as some other brews I've had, but enough to catch you off guard if you don't expect it, or are new to the style.
Feel is light, crisp, and refreshing.
Good light-hearted drink, relaxing.

3.95/5  rDev -1.7%

750 ml bottle poured in to a tulip pint glass.

Pours a very light, clear yellow with a thick white head.

Smell is a smooth sour with some hay.

Taste is a very light sour, sharp, and lemony.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin, but very drinkable for the style.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Pours golden, yellow with a nice white head. The head fades quickly, this brew is lightly carbonated. Pleasing sour aroma, with a little bit of funk. Complex, tart taste with massive lemon highlights. The beer is very smooth and goes down easily. Due to acidic nature of this beer, the drinkability is average, one or two glasses will do. When all is said and done this is a good brew.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

I'd been hanging on to this for a couple months - I figured that it would scream at me at the proper time. That time is now...noon, holiday, want a beer but don't want to douse my system with alcohol. 3.1%? That's so low, I could have a full 750 of this, and go for a run a couple hours later.

A - Poured into the wide-bowled Rochefort chalice. Astonishing lack of color...if I didn't know any better I'd think this was Bud Light. In fact, I think BL might actually have more color than this. It's white gold, and very, very clear. Though subsequent pours cloud up with more of the dregs added. Large bubbles stream up at a few nucleation points, but don't retain much. Has a white wne-like appearance. Striking and worthy of a high rating.

S - I got a good deal of mustiness upon opening. Lot of musty sourdough bread, some light stonefruit.

T - Up front, straight-up carbonated water, then light wheat and moderate tangy character. That sounds really boring, doesn't it? Well, it isn't - it's light, tasty, and refreshingly sour...which is exactly what it's supposed to be, isn't it? Aftertaste is pretty interesting....ever had those thick, fibrous German flatbreads? There's a lot of that taste in residual, very grainy. Not as sour-peachy (understandably) as DFH's Festina Peche, but probably more subtle.

F - At first it feels pretty watery, but then I begin to appreciate its relative thinness. It's 3.1% - if it wasn't thin, it would probably be way overcarbonated, and we don't want that. I like it.

D - I'm glad beers like this are available. The Bruery deserves credit for taking a shot at this rare style. Great beer for warm weather, and also for sour-lovers who want something sour, but not quite at the same level as a lambic.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle consumed with beerloco, mrsbeerloco, StonyB, kplynch, and mrskplynch.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw yellow with a 1 finger white crown that shows no retention or lace.

Smell: Loads of brett, a touch of lemon, some pale malt notes, and just a nice overall blend.

Taste: Same as nose only it doesn't jive as well.

Mouthfeel: a bit thinner than satisfying with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Low abv and ok mouthfeel, but flavor profile doesn't make me want more.

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery