Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008)
Reviews by Bmoyer0301:
3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance:

Tonight I reached for a glass in my collection that I only used a few times, a super cool Westmalle Belgian goblet that was made just for these styled ales. It has all different kinds of leafs and designs cut into the very thick glass which just adds to the overall beauty and always delivers a nice thick head. A little bit on the heavier side for glassware but it's still a great chalice for any Belgian ale. Continuing on, I pulled the cap off the 750ml bottle and was greeted with a generous amount of hissing and carbonation which is great for this style of beer. On the pour I decided to tilt the large chalice making sure to not over flow it with head. When I was done, there was a thin half finger thick bone white head that dissipated very quickly to almost nothing after a few minutes. When I hold the chalice up to the light the beautiful deep amber, slightly hazy deep reddish orange colored ale glimmers in the light. This really reminds me of fresh orange blossom honey minus the thickness of course. On a quick check the viscosity appears to be pretty light and only leave a little bit of lacing on the walls which is surprising for such a high ABV beer.

Smell:

On the front end of this aroma I am picking up loads of sugary molasses and caramelized brown sugar. Almost like the syrup you smother your sweet potatoes and burnt marshmallows with at thanksgiving time. There is a touch of citrus hiding through all the spices as well (from the hops?). Some vanilla is present but nothing overdone, and a small amount of nutmeg rounds out the finish.

Taste:

Hmm, its pumpkin pie-esque but not like most of the other commercial types of beers out there. In my opinion, many are overdone and too spice forward which really ruins the body and overall flavor. This on the other hand is mild and subdued with the yam flavors and spices which I do enjoy. The only complaints I have are that this is entirely under carbonated and has a slight acidic twang in the finish that I just can't put my finger on. In the finish a oxidized flavor is pushing through that I am not really liking and the cloying sweetness is starting to get to me.

Drinkability:

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy pumpkin and other spiced beers but I am going to say that this one isn't one of my favorites. I had the pleasure to try the bourbon barrel aged version of this and thought it was out of this world. It just seems the regular version isn't quite what I hoped it would be. As I always say, maybe you want to give it a shot and disregard my experience. Just because I don't like this one a lot doesn't mean you won't. So go out on a limb and try something different and see if this is up your ally.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.77/5  rDev 0%

3.58/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Light golden color. Goldfish and clear.

S: Strong honey. A resemblance of mead.

T: Starts with honey and yam and finishes with baked beans. Yes..I can taste baked beans.

M: Light, fruity but slightly viscous.

O: A good beer from The Bruery. I'm glad they tried something different for their fall seasonal..not sure it really beat the good ol' pumpkin ale though. It definitely got very sweet towards the end. Good beer overall.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

2010 vintage poured into a snifter.

A -- Pours a deep reddish brown with one finger of off-white head. Head fades pretty quickly leaving only small spots of lacing.

S -- Brown sugar, cinnamon and other spices up front. Also some vanilla and bready malts. Smells good. A little sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

T - A bit of candi sugar, brown sugar and maple-glazed yams followed by a significant spice presence. Cinnamon and nutmeg stand out. Similar to the smell, there is some sweetness, but this wasn't nearly as sweet as I thought it might be. I really enjoyed the taste.

M - Medium/full mouthfeel that is a bit syrupy. Finishes pretty dry from the spices.

O- I haven't had this fresh, but with more than a year on it, this is a very enjoyable beer on a cold winter night.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

It would be better if the molasses flavor didn't overpower the maple. I like it otherwise. Maybe it's a California thing, but he molasses hit my palate first which was not what I expected.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%