Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Reviews: 593 | Hads: 1,886
Reviews by Dlish:
3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

A- A hazy brown redish haze of a beer. I guess it looks like brown or a pumpkin, there is almost no head.

S- I smell maple, hints not nutmeg, even smaller amount of allspice. I get some Belgium yeast in this. I know that this has a better aroma, or I hope it does. I'm going to let this warm up and see if it reviews. The real disappointment is how strong the aroma is not.

T- Lots of molasses, thick and sweep yams coats the tongue. Once the beer is gone, a buttery sweet maple taste coats the tongue. Savory but still very sweet from the imperial brown malt background. I think I would like to have something to off set the sweetness, almost a salty or bitter or burn to it. I'm thinking of maple bacon or ham, but with no salt. This beer is just so smooth and syrupy and Belgium.

M- very sweet, savory due to the buttery maple coating. Very thick, carbonation. Really coats the whole tongue. There is surprising no burn from the 10% alcohol, but this is common and to be expected by the Bruery.

O- This is a solid deconstruction of Fall flavors recombined into a sweet thick and mapley beer. While it has the flavors of fall, I think the combination could be combined and tamed into something better. I want some more savor in my sweetness of fall. Overall I will drinking another one of theses while eating left overs of cold turkey.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.43/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Deep red, brown that reminds me of fall. Off-White head with no lacing.
S- Fall, spice, earthiness, cherries
T- Earthiness and spices up front. Then, cherries with a faint pumpkin. Great with fall weather.
M- Perfect carbonation with a nice balance to dryness and slick coating of the pallete.
D- I want another!

3.57/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Light golden color. Goldfish and clear.

S: Strong honey. A resemblance of mead.

T: Starts with honey and yam and finishes with baked beans. Yes..I can taste baked beans.

M: Light, fruity but slightly viscous.

O: A good beer from The Bruery. I'm glad they tried something different for their fall seasonal..not sure it really beat the good ol' pumpkin ale though. It definitely got very sweet towards the end. Good beer overall.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

2010 vintage poured into a snifter.

A -- Pours a deep reddish brown with one finger of off-white head. Head fades pretty quickly leaving only small spots of lacing.

S -- Brown sugar, cinnamon and other spices up front. Also some vanilla and bready malts. Smells good. A little sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

T - A bit of candi sugar, brown sugar and maple-glazed yams followed by a significant spice presence. Cinnamon and nutmeg stand out. Similar to the smell, there is some sweetness, but this wasn't nearly as sweet as I thought it might be. I really enjoyed the taste.

M - Medium/full mouthfeel that is a bit syrupy. Finishes pretty dry from the spices.

O- I haven't had this fresh, but with more than a year on it, this is a very enjoyable beer on a cold winter night.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

It would be better if the molasses flavor didn't overpower the maple. I like it otherwise. Maybe it's a California thing, but he molasses hit my palate first which was not what I expected.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery