Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Reviews: 582 | Hads: 1,842
Reviews by Gosox8787:
3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Presentation: 750 mL bottle, 2012 vintage. Served chilled and poured into my Portsmouth Brewery snifter glass and enjoyed over about an hour span as it warmed.

Appearance: Medium to dark brown in color with a nice beige head and good retention on the first pour.

Aroma: Big belgian yeast and clove notes upfront. Some toasted malt and a touch of yam, although not as much as the label would have me believe. Ginger, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg round out the spices. The booze is much stronger than I expected.

Taste: The belgian yeast is really strong here and paired with some really strong booze notes. I really expected the sweetness of the yams and the spice notes to round out the booze much better, but it's just not happening for me. The ginger and nutmeg give off some nice flavor, but also give off a strange bitterness. I wish I got more maple though. This just doesn't come together for me.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is on the lower side, with a pretty full body.

Overall, an interesting beer where the concept seems better than the execution. I wanted to like this beer a lot more than I did. The maple notes are barely there and the yams are lacking as well in my opinion, although I've never had a beer with yams so I don't know how qualified I am to judge that. The spice notes wear thin quickly and don't mesh as well with the base beer as I'd expect. I have another bottle and I think a couple years might really help smooth out the edges....hopefully. (1,475 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

3.57/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Light golden color. Goldfish and clear.

S: Strong honey. A resemblance of mead.

T: Starts with honey and yam and finishes with baked beans. Yes..I can taste baked beans.

M: Light, fruity but slightly viscous.

O: A good beer from The Bruery. I'm glad they tried something different for their fall seasonal..not sure it really beat the good ol' pumpkin ale though. It definitely got very sweet towards the end. Good beer overall. (438 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

2010 vintage poured into a snifter.

A -- Pours a deep reddish brown with one finger of off-white head. Head fades pretty quickly leaving only small spots of lacing.

S -- Brown sugar, cinnamon and other spices up front. Also some vanilla and bready malts. Smells good. A little sweet, but not overwhelmingly so.

T - A bit of candi sugar, brown sugar and maple-glazed yams followed by a significant spice presence. Cinnamon and nutmeg stand out. Similar to the smell, there is some sweetness, but this wasn't nearly as sweet as I thought it might be. I really enjoyed the taste.

M - Medium/full mouthfeel that is a bit syrupy. Finishes pretty dry from the spices.

O- I haven't had this fresh, but with more than a year on it, this is a very enjoyable beer on a cold winter night. (782 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

It would be better if the molasses flavor didn't overpower the maple. I like it otherwise. Maybe it's a California thing, but he molasses hit my palate first which was not what I expected. (188 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%