Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Reviews: 583 | Hads: 1,845

On draft. 4 ounce pour in mini-snifter.
Appearance: Brushed copper with a thin ring of foam.
Smell: Smells like fall. Nutmeg and pumpkins. Imagine a pumpkin pie before it’s thrown in the oven.
Taste: Sweet caramel, nutmeg, allspice, with a little whiskey bite at the end. I love the soothing warmth it leaves. Like a liquid blanket on a cold day.
Mouthfeel: Sweet, smooth, and soft.
Overall: I love fall beers and this is one of my favorites. It’s not just pumpkin spices thrown into a brown ale and distributed for the season… it’s carefully crafted to compliment this time of year. Well done. (603 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +30.6%

Just cracked this a couple days ago on the back deck on one of these beautiful early autumn nights with a friend. Cellared two years and I don't know if it has improved dramatically, but this was a beauty of a beer. Read about ten past user reviews and think they are downright nuts.

Although it is not truly a "pumpkin beer" - the yams fill in quite admirably here with regards to fall harvest vegetables. Unfiltered with a beautiful bright orange color - it is an unbelievably nuanced and balanced beer. Aroma, flavor, texture - everything just clicked. By far the best "pumpkin beer" I have ever tried - far outranked the Southern Tier Pumking, which was one of my favorites last year (yet has changed this release being remarkedly more vanilla flavored).

It does not look like Georgia will be getting any of this gem, at least from what I can tell from my vantage point. I have another couple Bruery selections in the cellar now for two years - Rugbrod will be next. (973 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage 750 ml bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful mahogany color, speckled with both reddish and orange highlights, topped with a finger and a half of white head that dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that gripped the sides of the glass, and formed a few wispy clouds of foam that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Lots of malt and notes of black pepper, brown sugar, slight hints of alcohol, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, all-spice and Belgian yeast.

Taste: Malty and fruity up front. Notes of freshly baked bread and pumpkin, followed by quite a bit of pronounced sweetness. Brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon. Followed by quite a bit of alcohol heat. The beer has a slight sour finish that is quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Chewy, but smooth, as the beer has no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 10%, there’s quite a lot of alcohol on the palate, which, as stated above, provides a pleasant alcohol warmth to the palate.

Overall: This is quite an excellent beer! I love the perfect balance between malt and fruit and sweet and sour. It’s a great quaff on its own, but paired with food, especially Thanksgiving dinner, it’s absolutely brilliant! (1,209 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +27.2%

Well it has been some time since I have had a Pumpkin beer or a "Fall Beer" but I say this should be called Yam Maple to remove the seasonality from the title. This beer is fantastic

Pours a Red hazy hue with a strong white head of large bubbles.
Aroma of Yams, sweet potato, maple, cinnamon, nutmeg, belgian yeast and sweet malt. This is a bounty of sweet aromas that I have not smelled in about two months since I had my last "fall beer"...

Taste is very similar to the aroma. No flavor is overpowering the other, a very well balanced Belgian Strong Ale with flavors of Sweet potato, Maple syrup, Cinnamon, brown sugar, lightly roasted malts and caramelized sugars.

My tastes are slightly different from the average beer connoisseur but I would drink Fall brews all year long. This fine brew has good carbonation, nice body and is very drinkable. I brewed a strong pumpkin ale that this comes very close to in flavor. Will be looking forward to stocking up on these next fall. (983 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +26.4%

Served on tap at the Bruery tasting room.

A: Nice brown color with a tint of rusty orange. Not much of a head, but some lingering foam throughout. Looks to be moderately carbonated.

S: Wow. This beer smells incredible. Take a bunch of cooked yams and coat them with about half a bottle of Aunt Jemima and take a big whiff. Other spices come through strong on the nose, cinnamon, vanilla, aroma of a fresh baked bread. Makes me hungry.

T: Thanksgiving dinner liquified. This is by far the best autumn beer tasted to date. The yams obviously plow through out of the gate, but as the beer warms and opens, all other spices really work well together. The beer literally melts in your mouth. With all the commotion, one can still appreciate that this is a belgian brown ale.

M: Perfect carbonation, like a soft cooked yam melts away on your tongue. Alcohol very well balanced for being a 10.5% monster. Give me a glass of this and send me to an apple orchard and I'm a happy man.

D: Very drinkable. Despite all the yam flavor and spices, the beer is not too thick that it is filling. Great from the tap.

Awesome beer, awesome brewery. Like whats going on there and look forward to many future offerings. (1,209 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The Bruery makes amazing brews and this is one of my favorites. First of all, the Fall is my favorite season and this beer compliments that time of the year perfectly (in my opinion). The appearance is like that of the brilliant maple leaf as it falls from the limb to the ground. Aromas of boozy autumn flavors fill the air and warms my palate as it flows throughout. The best part is that I found this gem in the cooler hidden behind other beers and paid less than $10 for it... Nice! (486 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +25.6%

Holy sh*t. These past couple of years, I've been a huge pumpkin beer fan. I went into New Beer in NYC and asked the owner what's a beer that's rare and going quick and he pointed me to this. Thank the LORD.

Pour is beautiful. The perfect amount of head, sustained, right into a tulip glass. Lacing is perfect, sustained streaks on the side of the glass.

Aroma - as advertised. Maple syrup, yam, autumnal spices...all mixed perfectly.

Full disclosure, I drank a Cigar City Good Gourd quickly after this so I may have killed some of the Bruery's flavors too soon. That said, I remember a perfectly balanced beer, the yam flavor mixed well with the sugar from the molasses. A perfect example of an autumnal beer, not too sweet, not too pumpkin-y. Could have many more of these. (778 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From the local watering hole on tap. Pub Pint.

One taste and I ordered a growler to go.

It was like I walked into our local apple orchard store and someone hit me in the face with a pumpkin pie and dozen apple crisp donuts. Then told me it wasn't made from either.

Not a big fan of the fruit and veggie beers. I was really surprised at how well this beer was done. Pumpkin, sweet potato, ginger, brown sugar, maple all the wonderful smells of fall.

A must have for anyone who likes the pumpkin style beers, perfect for autumn. (533 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +23.2%

Served on tap into a snifter

A- Poured a really intense dark orange brown color reminiscent of pumpkin pie with off-white soapy head that left a little bit of spotty lace.

S- Huge aroma of ginger, allspice, nutmeg, pumpkin pie, and sweet potato. This smells like Thanksgiving.

T- Big ginger notes, allspice, some nutmeg, big pumpkin pie and sweet potato notes, some maple sweetness, spicy belgian yeast notes, and pie crust flavor. Moderate bitterness on the finish that I think cuts the sweetness very well.

M- Very dry, some nice alcohol warming, pretty smooth, and soft carbonation. This goes down so easy for 10% ABV.

O- While not properly a pumpkin beer this is the best pumpkin (or yam) beer I have ever had. Very balanced flavor profile between the spices, sweetness from the yams and maple syrup, and bitterness. Very complex and easy to drink. (857 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a crowned 750ml bottle (Bottled On: 07/15/13) into a 16oz New Belgium globe

A- A conservative decanting from the bottle yields a hazy deep bronze hued beer with nothing more than a single finger's worth of a khaki colored head. Due to the nucleation in the glass, a thin sea-foam textured head remains on the surface of the beer for the duration. 4.25

S- Yammy! The aroma is not much different from a dish of candied yams that Grandma makes...yams/sweet potatoes, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, marshmallow and a hint of butter thrown in for good measure. 4.5

T- While Southern Tier's Pumking nails a dessert in a glass, Autumn Maple replicates a liquid version of that popular sweet and savory side dish which accompanies many a Thanksgiving spread. The complex flavor profile mimics everything detected in the aroma. The sweetness is surprisingly tamed perfectly by the conservative additions of the (common) spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and a splash of ginger. A complex brew such as this affords a delicate and lingering finish, balanced by the sweet/savory notes with a spicy/dry finish. 4.75

M- Combined with a nucleated glass and bottle conditioning, a perfect mouthfeel is achieved. The medium-to-full body of the beer (after all, it is 10%ABV) sits well on the palate and is perfect for the dark and cold months of the year. 4.75

O- Next to Uinta's Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin, The Bruery's Autumn Maple stands as a close second (Samuel Adams Fat Jack rounds out my top three for pumpkin/gourdy ales). Despite reviewing a bottle "past it's prime," this beer ages exceptionally well and suits a sub-zero winter just as much as a cool autumn. Along with Uinta and Anchorage, The Bruery stands to be one of my top three breweries in 2013. Regardless of style, I encourage you all to give The Bruery serious consideration...it is worth it! 4.75 (1,896 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +21.9%

appearance is very cloudy with a deep brown hue and a very tan head that is creamy and thin yet sticks around for a fair while leaving a large sheet of lacing.

Wowwza! lots of yammy, cinnamon and nutmeg and nutmeg goodness on the nose. no hop character to be spoken of truly. sweet and spicey, in the simplest of terms. smells like sweet potato pie, and I shut my mouth.

the taste takes on a much more malty character, some caramel and toffee bits. lots of spice again, nutmeg and cinnamon. there is a particular sweetness that the yams lend to this beer, sort of borderline tartness with a highly sugary content. also the molasses seems to leave a lightly bitter bite on the finish. I love sweet potato pie.

the mouthfeel is smooth as silk, lots of creamy goodness with a fairly thin body. light carbonation and a sweet finish. I don't even need to wait for thanksgiving.

super drinkable. Almost as much as a sweet potato pie is eatable.

Awesome beer, if you don't like pumpkin beers, this one isn't for you. If you don't like sweet potato pie, then you need to go kill yourself. Seriously, I think I'm gonna go put some whipped cream on this mug. (1,153 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%

Wow! This was one of my top beers for 2009. I was really hoping for something big, malty, and sweet. This delivered. The candied yam and maple taste covered the alcohol pretty well. That's why this could be a dangerous beer if you're not careful. I would have liked to have had this on tap. I will def have to try the other Bruery beers that are available in the Chucktown area. (378 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really like yams and maple. I do NOT like any pumpkin beer I've tried other than Heirloom Pumpkin Barley Wine ( almanac).

This is a very complex, Belgian yesat, copper colored, malt-forward, not too sweet, yammy, maple concoction: barrel aged. It still tastes like beer, excellent beer. It does not taste or resemble most pumpkin beers in any fashion.

From first frost until sugaring season, I'm apt to pull one out of the cellar to pair with duck, turkey, roast pork.

IMHO, the Bruery makes great beers. This is one of the more under- appreciated examples. (562 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +20.1%

On tap at Tripel in Playa Del Rey served in a tulip glass. First pours off a fresh keg, not cold.
The hazy brown color bode well, a yam ale should be unclear. The smell was lightly spiced.
The taste started lightly spiced like the smell, then the sweet maple flavor came thru and it was warming, wonderful and washed over my taste buds like syrup, not the mouth feel but everything else I like about it. Each sip was better and better as it warmed.
We had 2 more and each was better but I wouldn't recommend doing that again as the 10% abv in this libation had us feeling very festive. (585 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured from 750 ml bottle.

A: Thick iron rust red with not much white head.

S: Maple syrup, banana yeasts, molasses, mulling spices, autumn leaves and dew, and suggestion of phenols.

T: Sweet, saccharine alcoholic bread with strong Belgian spices, pepper, and ever-present phenols. Sweetness is always perceptible but not overpowering. An incredible brew.

M: Medium bodied with an effervescent carbonated bite near the end that leaves the tongue numb.

D: This is a fantastic beer, especially when it warms up so that all the phenolic goodness is there. Wonderful sipper and one of the better Belgian-style brews I've tried, despite it being a domestic brewery. (670 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Thanks to jtd1969 for sharing this botle wth me.

A - dark, murky amber with a soft, off white head

S - funky Belgian yeast, faintly sour

T - candied yams, maple, molasses, nutmeg, ginger, allspice

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This was fantastic and unique. The flavor is tremendous. The abv is well hidden. I would give up pumpkin beers in a heartbeat if breweries could make yams this delicious. (407 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

A- Dark Brown, slightly translucent, a head that was small at first, but began to build and remained thin for the rest of the drink.

S- Sweet potatoes, Syrup, slight booziness.

T- Wow... yams, syrup, thanksgiving. Very sweet, while not being too sweet. Hides the alcohol extremely well compared to the smell and being a 10%. This would be a wonderful Thanksgiving or winter brew.

M- Medium mouthfeel, creamy and smoooth. LIGHTLY carbonated.

O- Wonderful beer, I would definitely try it again. It's one of those sweeter, fruitier beers I wouldn't normally try but my friend had a bottle and gave me a glass. I'm usually more into IIPA's and Stouts but this is really interesting. Definitely worth a try. (706 characters)

2010 vintage

A: Poured a murky brownish color with reddish hues and a nice dirty white head

S:Some caramel, brown sugar, hints of yams, figs persimmon, light pumpkin

T: Maple syrup, yams, brown sugar, Earth and hints of pumpkin at times, maple, booze is still very prevelant but man has this beer come alive!

M: Is sticky and sweet. Lots of flavor, warm, carbonated well.

O: Outstanding and this beer aged wonderfully over a year or so (441 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

Served into a Bruery tulip glass at about 40 degrees.

Pours a mahogany with an off-white froth and decent lacing. The nose is soft and complex with aromas of Belgian yeast, Yams/pumpkin, molasses, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, dark fruit, slight funk, & a slight tart character. The flavors cover everything listed above with a slightly tart finish. The mouthfeel is creamy and slightly dry with some weight and a long finish. Overall, this is an amazing beer that I was happy to have last Thanksgiving, thrilled to have this Thanksgiving, and look forward to having at my next. An absolute must try! (609 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

Purchased at South Bay in SD.

A - Pours mahogany with 2 fingers of cappuccino head. Dissipates moderately fast and leaves little lacing. Carb is subtle.

S/T - Light coffee, brown sugar, maple, yams, some pumpkin, roasted toffee, cloves, and light bittering hops. Very complex.

M - Full-bodied, well-balanced, lightly malt dominated, sweet, and smooth.

D - Great quaff, but cannot drink a whole bottle if I wanted too. It's just too rich. (441 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%

On tap at The Bruery during tasting hours. This beer is brewed with yams, not pumpkins, the traditional pumpkin pie spices, and a Belgian yeast strain.

It's a really nice orange color. Basically the perfect color for a pumpkin spiced ale. Pours somewhat clear, maybe a slight haze or denseness of color.

Smell is sweet and of course spicy... hard for me to ever pick the specific ones out unless they go overboard so I had trouble, but it combines with the Belgian yeast character to make it really interesting. Definitely one of a kind smell.

Maybe I wouldn't have thought maple when I tasted it but it did seem to have sort of a maple syrup type sweetness going on. A bit of the earthy Belgian yeast character too.

It's got some body and slickness to it at 10.5%, but it's not thick and gooey or anything.

Easily the best "pumpkin" ale of the handful I've ever had, though it has it's own unique take with the yams, Belgian yeast, and any other secrets in it. I don't think I'm the biggest fan of the taste of pumpkin ales traditionally, so it says a lot for this one to score so high for me. (1,102 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from he bottle into a tulip glass.

Very pleasant beer to look at, dark reddish brown with a finger or so or off white head that eventually fades to just a ring and a tiny whisp on top. Nice lacing throughout. Smell is nice and sour at first then the sweet vanilla maple and pumpin pie spices hit me. A bit like the smell of Pumking though more subdued and complex with the sourness. There is a lot going on in the taste of this beer, again very complex. Big bready sour funk up front followed quickly by those pumkin pie spices, can also really taste quite a bit of sweet potato at points but not always. All together it's something like thanksgiving dinner or a hearty fall breakfast. A lot of earthiness, could have sworn it tasted distinctly like collard greens at one point. Nice roasted/burnt/charred root vegetable in the aftertaste to go along with that earthiness. 10% alcohol is well hidden here. Again, very complex and enjoyable. A little thin and watery in the mouth but everything else here more than makes up for that in my opinion.

Overalll I really like this beer and found it very complex with quite a bit going on inside. Very good as an alternative to the standard pumpkin varieties you see around this time of year. Pick it up if you can still find it. Also says on the bottle you can cellar it for up to 5 years so I picked up another one to try next fall or the one after. (1,405 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%

Approximately 400 mL on-tap at The Bruery and a growler, a yam beer, but brewed in the style of a pumpkin ale,

A: Pours a deep burnt orange, before trying it I expected it to be lighter, but I think the deep colour goes well with strong nature of the brew. Fair head retention. Edit - The growler I had of this brew had excellent head retention, it looked really good so I'm upping the score.

S: Fall spices galore, definite nutmeg and cinnamon, allspice is used here too, but it's tough to pick out everything.

T: Spicy upfront with a bite of cinnamon. Yams come into play with a sweet finish with their characteristic taste, some marshmallow and an undercurrent of molasses and maple syrup throughout the whole drink. As close to October in a bottle as I've found so far.

M: Mouthfeel is spot on, the perfect amount of carbonation for a beer of this size. Full-bodied, viscous and spicy, no booze to speak of.

D: A beer that drinks as if it had much lower alcohol, but it still contains some heaviness making it more of a sipper. Best of the style I have ever had, I can't wait 'til it comes out in bottles, I know what I'm drinking this Halloween. (1,155 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass. Pours a hazy amber color with a decent amount of head. Aroma just screams of yams and spices, I'm not even a big yams fan but it is an inviting aroma. The taste is very diverse and full of flavor with maple syrup, yams, and spices like cinnamon coming through strongly. The high ABV of 10% is relatively well hidden. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation, and crisp and smooth.

Overall, this a nice beer, my favorite beer of the fall season so far. The spices and yams just give this beer an enjoyable complexity, and it truly is a nice beer to enjoy on an autumn night like I did tonight. (653 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%

Another share with Cavery. Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

A: Dark cherry with a thin off-white head and medicore but present lacing. Some great about the appearance and some mediocre, coming out into just 'good'.

S: Maple, bacon, and pepper all in the nose. I certainly wasn't expecting the bacon but on it came, and a very high quality bacon at that. I feel like I'm missing some things but not sure what.

T: Wow, an autumn breakfast mix in the mouth. Maple, bacon, brioche, and jalapeno all in the taste. Belgian yeast is very well hidden. Really high quality flavor; stout flavors rolled into a belgian ale.

M: Solid mouthfeel, not much to say about it.

O: Really interesting and fantastic beer. I would love to have this again and try it either aged or fresh, not being sure which one would do better by it. The flavors in this are really distinct, creative, and interesting. I can't not recommend this beer to everyone. (931 characters)

Autumn Maple from The Bruery