Follow our progress ...

The Bruery
California, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

Added by MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Reviews: 617 | Ratings: 1,986
3.41/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a medium cloudy brown with small white head. The description is better than the actual experience. There is a complex flavor of maple, pears and nuts, but very tart, similar to an Oud Bruin.

3.4/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a rather murky, muddy medium brown color, with a little bit of brownish foam. Aromas of maple, candied yams and pumpkin spices. This one tastes like Thanksgiving dinner in a bottle--more yams, sweet potato pie, pecan, brown sugar and maple syrup. A pretty solid offering, but not one I'd drink a lot of .

3.39/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance- well its pretty when it poured out. It's a brownish orange color sparkling clear which I imagine is had to accomplish with he sweet potatoes in it. It has a thin off white head. The head has no sustain, probably the least head retention I have seen in a commercial beer. I imagine that is also due to the sweet potatoes.

Smell- bread cinnamon clove yeasty with what I can detect is a significant amount of booze smell. Phenolic ?! not sure but it smells kinda like a moonshine wash.

Taste- cinamon clove and a significant boozey warmth. dont taste too much sweet potatoe but the fermented maple syrup is a familiar aspect of this beer. little to no hop profile. Not sure if its the alcohol of unfermented sugars that leaves it a bit sweet in the finish.

Mouthfeel- mild carbonation, boozey warmth and a of course a bit syrupy. but not sticky. I think its best aspect might be the mouthfeel, because it does feel like a mouthfull of mashed potatoes.

Overall- I thought this beer was okay, I would have enjoyed it along with a thanksgiving dinner but It is not something that an average beer drinker would appreciate. I have had beers that disguise the alcohol content better at a higher ABV. I have had beers that I think do the spice additions better. But as a lover of sweet potatoes I was curious. I think this would be better barrel aged or cellared .

3.39/5  rDev -10.6%

Picked this up on a whim at Julio's a while back. Somewhat forgot all about it.

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip with a nice creamy two finger head that slowly faded to leave a cream coloured curtain atop the deep amber brew. Very small bubbled coming up from the bottom of the tulip.

S - Picking up some nice spice notes mainly allspice and a little nutmeg. Getting a very slight sweetness, not much in the way of yam aroma. There is the nice tell tale yeast strain smell that the Bruery is known for.

T - Similar to the nose with the spice notes up front. Still not getting much in the way for yam taste or sweetness. Infact, no much in the way of maplesyrup either. Theres somethign earthy on the back but its very faint. The strongest aspect is the slightly funky yeast strain.

M - Low carbonation results in a somewhat creamy beer. The 10.5 % isnt felt in the mouth but its kinda heavy. Works with this flavor profile.

D - Its a good beer, not my thing, but considering the ABV is drinks fairly well. The smell could really use some boosting, as well as the flavor. This drinks more like a winter warmer than a "yam" beer. I respect how nicely the ABV is hidden and how long the foam hangs around for but this was still somewhat dissapointing.

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

- Brown ale brewed with yams, maple syrup & spices.

A: Dense garnet red with a creamy, slight sandstone colored head. Good show of carbonation along the outer edges of the vessel. Good head retention atop.

S: The yams are evident on the nose smelling like sweet potatos on thansgiving. The spicing however is muddled, cardamon, some nutty brown malt are low key, run of the mill and do little to entice. Some cola,cork, honeybread and dried molasses with some cinnamon rounds things out.

T: Brief sweetness upfront of honey caramel and cola is quickly followed up sweet potatos (yams), cinnamon, and nutmeg spicing. Some citrusy nuttiness, fennel, and chicory are also noted along with some dry starchy grains, dried honey and a spicy element of alcohol and pine. Sweet toasty honey malt adds highlights.

M: good substance to it, a tingly carbonation factor and is creamy and thick.

O: Overall the flavor is interesting, but a bomber becomes a bit much to tackle alone, best split amongst a friend or two. Drinkability is a bit uneasy, unless in smaller proportions, warming spicy alcohol bite, dry powdery spicing, not bad overall just a bit challenging to consume by the bomber. Definitely not an everyday brown, it does seem to get better as it warms showing a bit more complexity. Take it for what it is, an interesting concoction best shared with a friend or two during the chilly fall months and pumpkin season.

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

A-Pours a crimson edged dark brown color with half a finger of light brown sugar head.

S-Smells of candied yams, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice with some vanilla.

T-A sweet malt and perhaps yam foreground with a spice filled (see above), dry finish.

M-Rich, full bodied at first with low carbonation and a drying, light finish.

D-A little sweet at first, but the spice kind of balances out at the finish. A 12 oz. of this would be doable, but a full 750mL of this one is a little much to put down by yourself.

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Off-tap this beer was a cloudy copper color with a head that displayed nice retention and left spots of lacing. The aroma was of caramel malt, yams, and spices. The flavors were a bit odd in my opinion, semi-sweet malts, alcohol, light esters, hints of maple and a lot of spices in particular nutmeg that seemed to sit on top of everything else. I didn’t get the subtleties I was hoping for due to this element. The mouthfeel was good, the body medium and the carbonation a little low.

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

Bottle sampled on 09/26/08 at Night of the Funk (it was mis-labeled as the Melange, which affected my impression of it as I was expecting a blend of an imperial stout and flemish red NOT an S/H/V). Pours a cloudy dark orange with a small white head. Aroma of lots of citrus, wheat, and clove. Flavor is very witbier-like with lots of clove and citrus. Decent beer but certainly not what I expected.
7/4/7/3/14 (3.5/5)

3.37/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance- Almost looks like apple cider... no head on this beer.
Aroma- Sweet, Yammy, Maple syrup and some faint spice.
Mouthfeel- Low carbonation which I find nice for this style of beer and it's quite smooth.
Taste- Malt, sweetness, nutmeg, alcohol warmth, maple... not much yam taste. The yam is more on the nose than in the taste. This is a great fall beer... a little expensive in my opinion... but definitely a unique beer to seek out.

3.37/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured in to NB Globe.

A: appears a murky brown, thin white head, some lacing, decent retention

S: huge sweet notes- molasses is the dominant aroma here, some candi sugar along with a spicy profile as is common in BSDA's, the yam and maple are ever so faint and pretty hard to find. Notes of cinnamon and allspice are evident towards the end.

T: very sweet up front paired with a dash of spice, like the nose, the molasses takes center stage. I am having trouble detecting anything that is noticeably yam. I do pick up a slight hint of maple on the finish. The speciatly ingredients are subtle (except the molasses) and in the end, it just tastes like a spicy BSDA. In other words, it is not living up to what the label states.

MF: high carbonation, big body, slightly syrupy.

D: this is a slow sipper with its big ABV, I am a bit disappointed as I was hoping for a much more festive/autumn type beer. All I really got out of it was a big boozy spiced up BSDA. I would not purchase this again.

3.36/5  rDev -11.3%

A pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a couple of scattered bubbles that quickly disappear. The beer is a rich mahogany color that shows a hazy, brownish red color when held up to the light. The aroma smells fruity with notes of raisins, a touch of rum, baked brown sugar and perhaps even some notes reminiscent of sweet potatoes (I don't know why these are marketed as yams in many parts of the US). There is lots of toffee character, a substantial caramel character as well as a touch of spiciness that reminds me of a touch of nutmeg, ginger, perhaps some all spice and some white pepper and a touch of something herbal.

The beer is almost, though not completely flat; there is just a touch of carbonation that adds a hint of texture to this beer. It is rich and chewy, but lacks a certain fullness somehow because of the lack of carbonation; it almost seems a bit thin somehow, but I wouldn't want it to be thick and rich. Sweet flavors of raisins, brown sugar glazed sweet potatoes and a deeply caramelized flavor. The beer finishes with a soft spiciness that provides a bit of piquancy / warmth (the alcohol), a touch of woody pepper, a touch of allspice, some cinnamon, ginger and a soft, almost neutralized nutmeg note. The finish has a touch of astringency to it, perhaps even a touch of hop bitterness though this last is subtle.

I like that the spice character is quite subtle, it is hard to guess what is spice and what is fermentation derived here, which is exactly how I prefer it. The beer itself is not too bad, it definitely really needs the texture and vitality that carbonation would bring to it. I definitely am looking forward to getting the next, carbonated batch of this.

3.36/5  rDev -11.3%

A big, rocky, off-white head blossoms over a rich, clear ruby to mahogany beer sparkling with effervescence, before quickly dissipating leaving a thin sticky lace as a reminder of its moment in the tulip glass.

Nutmeg and clove are accompanied by hints of cinnamon, unfortunately this is countered by a strong presence of Windex.

Autumn Maple has the expected spice, from the nose, and a moderate tartness, followed by cherry cough drops and cranberry. The layering is more muddled than one would hope for, and the finish is light and quick.

A medium body with slick texture and light carbonation, character is a bit undeveloped. The alcohol is present, but well tamed for 10.5%.

This bottle is worth finishing, but with so many superior versions of this style, this is realy just a curiosity. When looking for a sipping beer, avoid this one, as the aroma is a turn-off, and certainly holds back the flavors as well.

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Big ole 750 provided by buckeyeboy at a weekend tasting.... Thanks Jeremy!!

Pour didn't reveal much in the way of carbonation or lace... orangey brown..

Nose is spicy with cinnamon and nutmeg.. vanilla is there yet more muted.. alot of other stuff going on.. I normally really hate spiced beers, but this is fairly reasonable.

Flavor mirrors the nose... there are some "remnants" of what I think molasses would taste like when fermented out.. same with the maple.. I seem to be getting BSDA flavors, but the spices are knocking them off my palate pretty readily.. sorta reminds me of a spiced apple cider.. dark raisins in a later pour...

Body seems thicker because a lesser carbonation.. Pretty good.. but again, I have a hard time with spiced beers... I wish they would have dialed back the spices by about 50% and maybe fermented a tad warmer and allowed the yeast to do spice work.

Thanks again Jeremy... This was still a pretty enjoyable experience.

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Received this in a trade with EliottJW. Poured into a Tulip on Thanksgiving, cuz we're classy.

Appearance: Big 3-4 finger head on top of a dark reddish brown beer. Head recedes slowly to 1 finger but never seems to leave. Moderate amounts of lacing. Some floaters swimming around in the brew.

Smell: Sugary sweet smell. Sweet like maple syrup. Sort of a brown sugar kind of scent and some other spices. Does smell quite a bit like a baked sweet potato. Some yeast and caramel malt aroma.

Taste: Maple syrup sweetness, not too overwhelming at first but a little more so as it warms. Then breaks into a spicy sweet potato flavor. Some fruity yeast notes as well as roasted malts. Alcohol provides a bit of a warming feel but it blends pretty well with the syrupy sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol warmth and moderately carbonated. Medium bodied. Smooth, sweet finish.

Drinkability: I took my time with it, I think it took about 2.5 hours to finish the bottle. The sweetness becomes a little cloying, and the alcohol starts to show itself both in the flavor and in your head after a while. Nice body to it though.

Not a bad beer. A different take on fall beer compared to all the other pumpkin ales, but I think it misses the mark.

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a hazy very dark brown with dark red highlights when held to light along with a creamy finger of head. The nose carries Belgian yeast spices, a touch of coconut, sweet caramel maple sweetness along with an earthiness. The taste brings sweetness from the maple along with a chewy richness along with an earthy vegetal quality from the yams. Also it has a very strong belgian yeast taste that I didn't really think worked to well with the other flavors. Abv was slightly noticeable and I didnt find it too drinkable. An interesting autumn brew that I feel would work better with a different yeast strain.

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Not sure whose bottle this was, so thanks to Eric! Probably the least impressive of the 14 Bruery beers we ploughed through, but still real nice.

Orange-brown pour with an off-white film. From here on in I feel like I'm reviewing Maudite. The nose and flavour profile are almost identical, but a little weaker. Certainly some spiciness from the yams, some honey, light breadiness. Mouthfeel is a little light and watery.

Good, but not as complex as their other stuff and outclassed by its barrel-aged brother. Sits uneasily in this category. Glad I tried it, but there's way better to come.

3.34/5  rDev -11.9%

A - Deep brown with a decent cap and not much lace.

S - Pumpkin/squash pie with some vanilla.

T - Pumpkin pie/yams (I suppose) with sweet malt, toffee and brown sugar, raisins, and alcohol.

M - Has a refreshing bit of creamy fizz.

D - Perhaps for dessert - this is a slow-sipper, especially given its high ABV. I'm not a fan of this style so I'm trying to be fair.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

750ml bottle purchased as a single from Julio's, Westboro, MA.

Poured into a Harpoon tulip, formed a 1 1/2" tan head over the clear dark copper brew. Head falls slowly, with random chunky lacing. Aroma is yams and spices. Taste is somewhat harsh upfront, spices in the middle, and the alcohol and yams come together in the close. Lingering afterburn warmth. Mouthfeel is rough for me, not smooth at all, and drinkability is okay. Not as good as I had hoped.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance -- Pours a hazy brown with a finger of foamy parchment head.

Smell -- Toasted malt, maple sugar, molasses, vanilla, earthy yeast. Can't really find the yam influence.

Taste -- Taste is quite sweet with maple sugar and dark molasses, along with rum raisin and candied yams. Additionally there is some dark fruit presence and faint yeast and fermentation character. Overall, the sweet adjuncts overwhelm the base beer.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with moderate prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- While Autumn Maple isn't a bad beer, it's by no means a great BSDA. Certainly interesting, a big hit with the family on Thanksgiving, but not something I'll be awaiting eagerly next Fall.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Presentation: 750 mL bottle, 2012 vintage. Served chilled and poured into my Portsmouth Brewery snifter glass and enjoyed over about an hour span as it warmed.

Appearance: Medium to dark brown in color with a nice beige head and good retention on the first pour.

Aroma: Big belgian yeast and clove notes upfront. Some toasted malt and a touch of yam, although not as much as the label would have me believe. Ginger, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg round out the spices. The booze is much stronger than I expected.

Taste: The belgian yeast is really strong here and paired with some really strong booze notes. I really expected the sweetness of the yams and the spice notes to round out the booze much better, but it's just not happening for me. The ginger and nutmeg give off some nice flavor, but also give off a strange bitterness. I wish I got more maple though. This just doesn't come together for me.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is on the lower side, with a pretty full body.

Overall, an interesting beer where the concept seems better than the execution. I wanted to like this beer a lot more than I did. The maple notes are barely there and the yams are lacking as well in my opinion, although I've never had a beer with yams so I don't know how qualified I am to judge that. The spice notes wear thin quickly and don't mesh as well with the base beer as I'd expect. I have another bottle and I think a couple years might really help smooth out the edges....hopefully.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

The label says they used yams, molasses, maple syrup, and fall spices to make this strong Belgian-style ale; I think the brewers emptied a fully stocked horn o' plenty into the mash tun. But the beer was good--for the most part.

My 750 ml bottle unleashes a dark brown torrent. Carbonation roars skyward in a mushroom cloud of foam--then crashes down and disappears before I can jot a note about its creamy, off-white color (I have a good memory). So where's the head? Did someone slip Diet Coke into my beer bottle again? A sniff reveals maple syrup. My first sip finds more maple syrup chased by sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and spicy Belgian yeast. Its body is light with cola-like carbonation. An intensely sweet brew, but aside from that, there's not a ton going on here. The flavors don't kick you in the teeth and shout "taste it!" the way a Chimay Blue or De Dolle Oerbier does. Autumn Maple simply didn't linger long on my palate.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

A 750 ml brown bottle (pretty label), poured to a pint glass. It's the first day of winter and Portland is locked in, as dubbed by the media, an 'Arctic Blast'. Temps in the 20's, nearly a foot of the white stuff on the ground and more on the way. (Pointless) Snow shoveling completed, seems a perfect time for a warming Pumpkin Ale.

A: Color is nice: an autumnal chestnut/orange-brown, a faint haze. Where's the carbonation? A few frothy soap bubbles form a sloppy ring, fading quickly to pencil-thin whitish ring. No visible bubbles - looks kinda sad and lifeless but for a cheery color.

S: Pleasant sweetness: a nose full of nuttiness, pumpkin spices (allspice, nutmeg), dark raisins. Sugary sweetness isn't a bad thing when it smells so much like a pumpkin pie, complete with a flaky and buttery crust.

T: Pumpkin pie spice and a slight dark fruit tartness (Belgian yeast?). A molasses/maple sweetness, though neither are very discernible. Baked apple pie? Something in the finish reminds me of a spicy/syrupy Belgian tripel: slightly tart, a bit fruity (grapes, apples, pears). Drying bitterness in the finish: a more earthy pungency, like a sprinkling of nutmeg or a shaved cinnamon stick. Definitely holds my attention.

M: Where to begin? Syrupy viscosity going down, then a sticky, almost gummy starchiness. Flat (lack of) carbonation makes for a thinner feel, even from a 'heavy' ale. Alcohol warmth is pretty apparent.

D: I expected to really like this, as I'm a big fan of the 'pumpkin ale'. Read the label: 'Belgian-Style Brown Ale brewed with Yams, Molasses, Maple Syrup and Spices'. Sounds great; execution just didn't work for me. Finished the bottle over a couple hours, but probably would not buy again.

PS: The very faint hiss when uncapping and the generally flat appearance/feel leads me to suspect an issue on the bottling line. Purchased only a couple weeks ago, a fall seasonal certainly within the time frame of freshness. Worth noting that this ale seemed anything but 'fresh' from the bottle.

3.32/5  rDev -12.4%

On tap at The Bruery poured into a taster by the server trying to entice bottle purchases. Appearance is brown with orange highlights, tan head the quickly settles to a film, and minimal lacing. Aroma is sweet potato pie spices, maple syrup, brown sugar, and malt. Taste is light brown sugar and yam sweetness complimented by the nutmeg, clove, and allspice bitterness. Medium body, moderate carbonation,thick texture, clean finish.

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Undated 25.4 oz/750 mL bottle at 50 degrees into snifter
Aroma muddled – no distinctly identifiable odors beyond sweet and aromatic
Head average (3 cm), light brown, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to partial 2 mm layer
Lacing none
Body medium brown, opaque
Flavor begins sweet, a salmagondis which makes each unique flavor unidentifiable but blends into a flavorable whole; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate medium to full, creamy, soft carbonation

This is hard to evaluate – it’s supposed to be a brown ale and it’s definitely brown and sweet, but the flavor is so mixed up that nothing stands out except a continual sweetness.

3.29/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2012 Vintage poured on 27DEC12

Poured a nice reddish brown with about 2 finger head that dissipated quickly.

Don't really get the yams, get a little fall spices and some maple flavor. Get a spiciness from the yeast.

Taste the yams molasses and syrup really come though. Definitely sweet start that lingers throughout the finish. Don't taste any of the alcohol and don't get any warming so it was hidden well for 10%.

Feel a little thin would have preferred for it to stick around a little bit longer.

Overall a decent beer but probably won't buy it again.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery