Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Reviews: 593 | Hads: 1,884
3.79/5  rDev 0%

Out of a 750 ml capped bottle. Pours light chocolate brown color with honey highlights; a rather small tan head that quickly settled into nothingness. The aroma is of nice spicy belgian yeast; banana and clove, brown sugar, and figs. The maple aroma comes through as the brew warms. The taste is vinous, a plum fruitiness, an earthy spice tone, light lemon tartness. The molasses and maple syrup add the sweetness to the brew but are fairly subtle and blend with what I imagine is the yam. Not much yam flavor but I pick it up towards the end. The feel is moderate to thick, perhaps a touch syrupy and sticky; light carbonation and quite noticable abv. An interesting brew, needs to tone down the booze so that the other flavors come through. Perhaps some aging would do the trick.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

capped 750ml

These guys are something else, I look forward to the opportunity to try anything new from The Bruery. Yam beer, here we go. This one pours an awesome orange/brown hue that screams the season, a small tan head rests atop. Lots of sweetness and gentle breezes of alcohol in the nose, sweet potato malt? This beer is difficult to review because there is so much happening here. Thanksgiving in a bottle really, the light maple syrup note works well with the sweetness and mild spiciness of the brew, the alcohol content is detectable but it cuts right through the flavor in a way that enhances the experience rather than hurt it, this beer is hot in a good way. Im really enjoying this, Thanksgiving in a bottle.

4.37/5  rDev +15.3%

GLASS: Tulip
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
Thanks to paulxqx for the hook-up!

This one pours a very nice, light, ruby color with golden brown tinting. Three-fingers of creamy tan foam make the head. It recedes to a thin surface covering. Lacing is thick and fairly sticky.

This has to be one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. It smells wonderful. The yams and spices are most noticable, but the maple notes also come out nicely. There's also something else....pecans, maybe?

This is delicious! Wonderful yam flavors shine through. The spices are very nice and right out in the open. They are balanced by a very nice maple flavor and sweetness. A very mild hint of molasses keeps it all grounded. All of this sits on top of a nice malty base.

Full-bodied with a medium-to-full level of carbonation. Very smooth and easy to drink. It has a nice level of creaminess, which I like.

The abv level is a bit high. While I don't taste it, I am certainly starting to feel it, at the halfway point in this 25oz. bottle. Other than that though, it's super tasty and easy to drink.

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap at The Institute as part of their "Pumpkin Patch" event...

Brownish oranage in color, frothy plume of white head, good lacing. Smell is dominated byBelgian yeasts, dark fruits and earth. Hints of fall spices such as nutmeg, cinamon and clove. The taste is also dominated by the Belgian yeast and dark fruit. The seasonal tastes follow on the end - cinamon, clove, nutmeg, hints of maple brown sugar and a slight candied yam/sweet potato flavor. Medium bodied, ample carbonation. Good, but not great, dominated by the Belgian Ale part of the equation which doesnt let the seasonal tastes come through enough.

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a cloudy, dirty burgundy color with one finger of fizzy off white head.

Scent of maple syrup, spice, earth, yams, sugar and a hint of alcohol. A different scent, yet quite good.

Taste of grain, earth, sugar, yams, maple syrup, and soda. An unusual taste, but I did enjoy this quite a bit.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with strong carbonation, a bit more that I prefer, but still great.

On tap at The Drafting Room, Exton, PA.

Appearance: Hazy copper. Long lasting bone-white head. Standard lacing (might have been due to a dirty bar glass).

Aroma: Caramelish malt and non-descript spice.

Flavor: Spice, caramel, fruit (apple, berry), subtle underlying tart note. Spicy zest of ginger (or is that alcohol? Or a combination of both?). Maple and cinnamon in finish with a spritz of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body with a standard carbonation level.

Drinkability: While chilled it's really quite unique and interesting. Only as it warms and you progress through the glass does the spicing really appear. So, pretty damned drinkable!!!

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a glass into a belgian tulip (Duvel). Beer is brown and carbonation is steady, no head to speak of, white bubbles, no lacing left on the glass. The beer smells like pumpkin pie spice.

I just noticed that this beer is classified as a pumpkin ale even though the label states "Belgian Style Brown Ale Brewed with Yams....We don't need pumpkins in our beers!" So I would call this a CLEAR misclassification. This beer needs to be reclassified.

Beer is clear but if not careful, the yeast will dislodge from the bottom of the bottle and the last sips will be yeasty. Overall the beer is well balance, especially when you consider the high ABV (10.5!). It finishes a little dry, but the complexity of the flavors come through. I'm not sure what I expected from a beer made with yams, but it was pretty good. I don't pick up much of the maple character, but I'm not sure how much I should. Good beer, interesting, check it out.

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Went down to the Charleston Beer Exchange in downtown Charleston, SC. They have "Rare Beer Tuesday's" which happens to be today, 09/29/09.

I poured it from the growler and noticed the dark hazy color, almost like sweet tea. There was no real head on the beer, maybe 2 fingers at most and off-white in color, which had a very short retention time.

It smells like grandma's house on Thanksgiving. Immediately my nose was greeted with cinnamon, clove, maple syrup, brown sugar, almost like a candied ham or yam for that matter.

The taste is an orchestra of cinnamon, brown sugar, clove with an aftertaste of candied yams and vanilla icecream mixed together, you know when you burp up candied yams after Thanksgiving dinner. A very Southern taste!

This is definately very drinkable, especially when in good company, and a beer to share for sure. The alcohol leaves a perfect burn in the back of your throat, very nice on a cold day.

I highly recommend this beer for the fall. The beer creates a perfect equation for fall and winter, all you need is Autumn Maple(+)Friends(+)A Fire(X)Cold weather and you will be sure to have a good time.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured a leather brown with a huge head from good carbonation that dies slowly. An intense smell of cinnamon, clove, peppers; the spices in this beer outweight the smell of yams and there is some minor sweetness in the smell of maple and molasses and also a little yeast smell. The sweetness from the yams and maple is evident but the spices, mostly cinnamon and clove is what I am picking up, is just a tad too powerful. A full-bodied beer that is thick, sticky, and smooth and finishes slightly dry due to a minor citric hop bite on the backend; could also be a very minor ABV burn. A very good if not great beer that is pleasing to sip on and I enjoyed it thoroughly; only wish it could've been a little sweeter.

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into my Duvel tulip. Bottle says this is a Belgian-style brown ale. BA has it as a pumpkin ale. I'll try to keep both styles in mind. Virtually no lacing.

Appearance: Pours a murky brown-orange, with four fingers of off-white head that slowly, slowly subsides. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Definitely smells like a pumpkin ale. The smell is dominated by pumpkin pie spices. Malt in the background. Good smelling beer.

Taste: Doesn't taste all that much like it smells, which is surprising. The traditional 'Belgian' flavor dominates, backed by some spices. The finish is long and smooth, with almost a vanilla-honey aftertaste. I'm not sure I'm getting the maple syrup, or the yams, or the other flavors advertised, or maybe I'm just tasting what happens when they all blend together. Alcohol is definitely evident, as the beer warms all the way through. Maybe some pumpkin-like flavors come through as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Thick, and high carbonation. Nothing to complain about.

Drinkability: Definitely a good beer to sip on on a cold winter night. It smells like a pumpkin ale, but tastes like a Belgian brown. I'm not really sure how to best classify it. My nose says one thing, and my tastebuds say another. It's a beer I definitely would have to be in the mood for, and I might pick up another one for when the weather cools.

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle to stout glass.

Good looking pour, with 3-4F tan head over top of a deep, deep orange body - slight translucence. Zero lacing or head retention as it warmed.

Smell is a malt bomb, with spice. Molasses, cinnamon, orange spice, and cardboard.

Taste is nice - was worried about a 10.5% 'Pumpkin', but there is plenty of rich complexity to mask the alcohol. Maple and yams come through in the flavor. Reminded much more of a Dubbel than a Pumpkin Ale.

Carbonation was present, but muted in the thick mouthfeel. Pretty syrupy overall, so matched my expectations.

I like Pumpkin Ales, and especially the Imperial variety, so I found this to be quite drinkable and a terrific Fall seasonal.

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Pours a beautiful burnt umber with orange streaks and a nice off-white head.

S: The yams certainly come through in the initial whiff. Lots of spicing on top. Even without actual pumpkin, I've got no problem with this being classified as a pumpkin ale--all of the same spicing with a nice twist. In addition to the usual cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, maple and vanilla definitely come through with a little bit of brown sugar and molasses.

T: Much like the smell. When poured from the fridge, the sweetness was more noticeable, along with the sweet potatoes. As it warmed up, more of the spices and other notes started to show more presence.

M: Medium bodied without much--if any--alcohol presence. No carbonation issues with this year's batch.

D: Quite drinkable, especially for the style. One of my new favorite fall seasonals.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

So excited to try my first beer from The Bruery. Pours a nice dark brown, with ruby highlights when held to the light. It pours with a nice three finger head that really hangs around awhile.
Very nice aromas, peppery spicness and some nice earthy yeast. Lingering in the background you can find some nice clove, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, and maple syrup.
This is one intensely spiced brew. All of your favorite fall spices are in this one. Again I'm getting some clove, allspice and cinnamon at first. I wish I could pick up some of the yam but I can't really pick that out. Hints of the maple syrup and molasses as well. Didn't pick up any alcohol flavor at all.
It's a little too carbonated I think and comes across just a touch too thin. Overall a very fine brew and I can't wait to try more from The Bruery!!!

4.29/5  rDev +13.2%

750ml bottle supplied by oglmcdgl, poured into some small snifters, thanks for the shot.

A- Autumn Maple has a brown bark of a tree look with some hazy copper and some old rust look to it. Has some dark pink up to light. Not that much of a head, just some beige foam, minimal lacing.

S- What a nose on this one. I was expecting big things because this is Bruery beer after all, and i was not dissapointed. A big whiff of fresh baked bread. Applesause also comes to mind. Kind of smells like a pastry or a apple pie. Not so much pumpkin but there are alot of spices in this. Candied yams.

T- Being classified as a pumpkin beer, i was expecting alot of it. It's there but way muted with all the other ingredients. The main tastes out of this are apples and yams. Under that a big dose of brown sugar and cinnamon. While im sure hops are used, they dont come up on the radar. Some sweet malts and mollases. This is one kick ass "Brown ale"

M- The carb is a bit much on 1st sips when the beverage is cold. It was almost a bit to rough going down. Warming this one up does wonders to the smoothness of the quaff. Autumn Maple is a bit above medium bodied (even though the liquid looks thinner than that) with a sweet taste during and after. Picking up a little alcohol from the 10%, it is not totally muted.

D- I really enjoyed this, exceeded expectations as im not a big pumpkin guy and the amount of it in this beer is why I like this so much, there is so much more going on in this beer. The 10% is very high so splitting a bottle with a like minded friend is the way to go. I'm going to pick up some bottles for thanksgiving, it's sort of a no brainer. The Bruery is doing big thangs for such a young Bruery.

On tap at the South Philly Tap Room, served in a 10oz wine glass

Appears a burnt orange with hints of brown/dark amber hues. A thin, fizzy tan cap barely coated the top of the beer by the time I got it.

A very earthy, spicy aroma with a distinct vegetable aroma. There are hints of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, molasses, and maple syrup. A very intriguing aroma and extremely unique.

Sweet potatoes? Really? I get sweet potatoes, molasses, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and a heavy dose of maple syrup. A fantastic blend even if the sweet potatoes took me aback. Sweet, spicy, syrupy and with that earthy, meaty vegetable base.

I thought the carbonation was turned down a bit too much, but the mouthfeel was still rich and full. The booze was hardly noticed. I had no problems savoring this number.

As far as fall offerings go, this guy has a rich and unique character that goes a really long way.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

I have been looking forward to trying this beer for quite a while now, so what better time to try it than the first day of Fall? Decanted in to a tulip glass, head rises very quickly to produce three fingers worth. Color is a murky maple orange/brown mix. Heading is slow to fade, and does not leave residue on the sides of the glass. Spicy nose full of cinnamon and clove, along with some nutmeg, and light pumpkin spice. Funny that none of the ingredients mentioned on the label I can pick up in the smell. Taste is a different story, as the brown sugar and maple syrup really show up. The yams I wish I could taste, but I think the fact that I have never had yams may have something to do with it. I also get a slight hint of juicy fruit in the taste, which may be a result of the higher alcohol content. Speaking of the alcohol, it really works with this beer in that it can be felt and tasted, but it complements many of the flavors. All of the spices really give your palate a full slide show of tastes. As far as drinkability goes, I will need to get another bottle or two while they are still around, as this might be the perfect beer for this season. Next time I pop one of these, I will make sure I am in the middle of some real Boston Fall weather, so that the experience is all the more appropriate. So far, this is my favorite beer from the Bruery.

3.72/5  rDev -1.8%

Large bottle, w/o any freshness info. Pours dark brown and murky, dark khaki head, moderate collar and fairly minor spotty lacing. Spiced up nose, with sweet malts, and vanilla also coming to the party. Thanksgiving spices, sweat potatos, pumpkin, plenty of dark and sweet malts floating around. Rich, sweet, nice for fall, warming and tasty. Perhaps too sweet for my tastes, but still a nice fall offering from Bruery. Has thanksgiving dinner desserts written all over it.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

I've been paying attention to The Bruery ever since tasting their outstanding Orchid White a few months back. It also helps that I live pretty close to their brewery in Southern California. This one's a bit of a misfire. It sounds great on the lable, "Belguim style brown ale brewed with molasses, maple syrup and spices." I can totally see myself ripping that recipe out of a homebrew magazine and brewing it on a Sunday afternoon with the NFL on in the background. Unfortunately, like a lot of beers that stray a little too far from the Reinheitsgebot, this one sounds a lot better than it tastes. It pours nice, good head...dark orangish brown hue...just what you'd expect from an Autumn Maple. The nose has a lot of maple/malt, not much fruit/yeast or hops. The taste is not very nuanced...heavy on the maple. Maple syrup imparts a very distinct flavor on beer but the flavor isn't exacly maple. I'm not sure what it is but it isn't good. You can taste a little of the yams and that's interesting. Apparently this one can be cellared for up to 5 years...maybe it will mellow into something a little more interesting with age.

Recommended Music Pairing - Wilco - Being There

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this today at The Bruery.

Poured copper brown with a khaki head that slowly dissipated.

I smelled brown sugar right off the bat, some spicy cinnamon, and some molasses, though not really yammy or vegetal to me.

Tastewise, I did detect some yammy sweetness if that makes sense. Nice brown sugar and molasses profiles as well, maybe even a little nutmeg. I'd say the big flavor in this was the brown sugar/molasses notes. Good carbonation on this as well, nice mouthfeel.

I liked this mostly because I was expecting an overly spiced big sweet potato pie, but instead I got some good balance between the sweetness and the spice--good body and good balance. And the ABV was also well-hidden.

I bought the barrel-aged version in a bottle as well, so I can't wait to compare the two.

Well, I've been one happy puppy ever since Patrick's wares have reached the Proper Coast. This is the latest entry...into a Duvel tulip we go after snagging a few at braineater's fine establishment, Walsh's in Brighton Center...

Pours with a nice maple candy-colored head and a turbid root beer barrel candy/caramel ice cream topping brown. Leaves light lacing with moderate head retention. The turbidity gets a little cloudy (OK, that's redundant), but that's the only beef. After further review, it's the color of bourbon. Extra credit.

This definitely has a solid Belgian yeast strain...more of a Dubbel character or a BSDA than a spicy pumpkin or fall ale. There's a little bit of clove spice and some biscuity-ness (is there Special B in here?). Hops? Sure...probably more on the Styrian Goldings side. Very noble. Sweetness comes from the ummm...everything, just about. Molasses are definitely there. Even getting a smidge of the yams, although more like company sweet potatoes, which is just fine.

This is probably one of the best Thanksgiving dinner beers you could imagine. Let me rephrase that. I can see this tasting like sweet potatoes or yams with brown sugar. Whereas an Allagash Fluxus would be a better pairing because it's dry enough to keep it clean, this is just as hearty as almost every dish on the Thanksgiving table. The maple syrup and brown sugar are definitely there, as are the yams and maybe a tinge of molasses. I'm babbling. It's wicked good. Move on.

One rap on this deal - it's definitely hefty. Finish is long, aided by the very enjoyable Belgian yeast strain and the spice and biscuit of the apparent Special B. Hops add a little bit of bite, but the ample carbonation from residual yeast electricity and sugards also give it a little zip. Feels like it should have a big roasted skin on it. Mission accomplished.

I understand that for the most part BA exhibits similar characteristics to Harvard in the grade inflation department. Personally, I've been trained to see a "B" rating and I think "holy crap, this must not be good." Autumn Maple is a non-inflated B+. Maybe better. Complexity, innovation and a great deal of pleasure out of this brew. It's carting a few extra L-Bs but it's damn good. Congratulations, Patrick, I see you've done it again...another fine job.

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%

We had this on-tap at the pb taproom. It was poured into a chimay goblet, medium brown in color with very little head. Not really a very strong smell to speak of. The taste was heavy on the fall spices with especially strong nutmeg. Really too heavy with the spices but nevertheless very smooth despite the high abv. The malty brown ale base was quite tasty with some discernable belgian esters and phenols. Tough to finish the whole glass with all the heavy spicing.

4.07/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at Capone's the other day. Between this and the Saint Somewhere beers Matt had on tap, this was definitely a day for odd tasting beers.

The beer pours a rich orangy brown color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is spice filled, and I get some clove, brown sugar and a hint of ginger. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose, but are even more intense and spiced filled. There is some nice sweetness to this beer, but it's countered very nicely by all the spice, which also includes some holly flavor. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with the alcohol well disguised.

This is yet another interesting, unusual beer, one with a very complex flavor profile. While good, this is yet another beer that I cannot see myself drinking more then one small glass at a sitting.

4.29/5  rDev +13.2%

On tap at Capone's during the St. Somewhere promo on 9/5/09. Since it was so good and it was one of the most reasonably priced growlers, I had to take this one home with me. I thought a beer like this deserves a special glass, so i poured this "Pumpkin Ale" into my Maudite Snifter.

If you think this beer is going to pour a yam or pumpkin orange, then you don't know The Bruery very well. This beer poured an extremely hazy dark amber orange that was clearly more amber than orange. This beer was so hazy that I couldn't even catch a glimpse of the silhouette of my fingers on the other side of the glass. Like I said in a previous review, you gotta love the hazyness! There was no head of foam at first, but then out of nowhere, up rises a great looking pale maple brown colored 1 1/2 creamy head of foam. It had fast retention, but it managed to leave behind a string of foamy rings and just a few tiny spots of lace around the glass.

If you take your time to smell this beer, you're going to find a wide range of aromas. My nose was able to find the scent of yams, a hint of roasted malts, a drop of baker's chocolate, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, a touch of maple sugar, and a subtle whiff of vanilla beans. Swirling it around will only increase the scent of the yams, but it won't let through any other aroma? How could it not? There were more than enough aromas to satisfy any beer's lovers sense of smell. Why a perfect 5? How could I not? There was so much going on in the smell that every time I put my nose to the beer there was another new aroma for me to smell.

The taste of this beer started off dry with dry roasted malts and a touch of baker's chocolate. After that, this beer shows off that it was actually brewed with yams. It was a dry yam taste and it didn't last all that long. After the yams, this beer rolls into the spice part of the taste that contained a subtle spice taste of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. After all the spices, this beer finishes up with a pinch of maple sugar, a drop of molasses, and more dry roasted malts. As you can tell, the taste wasn't as complex as the aroma, but not much can compare to that.

10.5% ABV? Yeah right! There was no way that it could possibly this high. if it was that high, then all the alcohol must have been hidden by the yams and all of the spices. The aftertaste was that of dry roasted malts, yams, baker's chocolate, cinnamon, maple, and nutmeg. 10.5% ABV? Are you sure? It just can't be!

Although it's brewed with yams, this is one of the better Pumpkin beers I've had. Is it a must try? Not really. It's more of a must smell type of beers. This beer was so good that I could really see me opening a bottle or drinking another growler of this in the fall or early winter.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a dark burnt orange/coppery brown color with dark amber hues when held up to a light source and a .5 finger light beige head that slowly fades into a lasting ring.

Very earthy and spicy aroma with a strong vegetal presence. Lots of brown sugar and cinnamon spice with molasses, honey and a prominent vegetable note. Lots of yam.

Crisp and heavily carbonated mouthfeel with a huge spice character and earthy vegetable presence. Full bodied with a nice sugary honey/molasses presence and a spicy dry finish. ABV is very well hidden.

Once again the flavor is dominated by a strong spicy and vegetable presence. Lots of brown sugar, cinnamon, molasses, honey, earthy hops and a huge yam/sweet potato characteristic. Alcohol is almost undetectable with a very subtle hop presence.

This is a very unique complex beer in which the extreme variety of flavors balance each other out quite nicely. Never to spicy too yammy which is a good thing. It kind of reminds me of a liquid Thanksgiving.

3.57/5  rDev -5.8%

The beer pours a hazy amber/red color with a thin offwhite head that fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is good. It has a really nice yam aroma with a hint of molasses and pumpkin spice. There is a warming dryness that I equate with the maple syrup. The taste is decent. It has an overly complex taste. There is a little too much going on with this one. It has your typical pale and crystal malt flavor with yams and spice. This would have been adequate enough. On top of this you have molasses which adds a buttery/syrupy taste and you have maple syrup which adds alcohol and a nasty dryness in the finish. The mouthfeel is average. It is a full bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This is a nice attempt, but I would be more willing to try a scaled down effort with more carbonation.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery