2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,417 | Reviews: 548 | Show All Ratings:
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.63/5  rDev -56.9%

Bottle: Poured a light burgundy color ale with a very thin bubbly head with no retention and no lacing. Aroma of yams is dominating with some sweet malt. Taste is also dominated by yams with some sweet malt but absence of carbonation and overpowering of sweetness renders this beer quite gross. Body is very thin and somewhat oily with no carbonation and alcohol was not apparent. I must admit that I am very disappointed by this one - no carbonation and grossly sweet makes for a total mess. This is surprising considering the very good beers I had from the brewery previously.

04-19-2009 01:55:06 | More by Phyl21ca
DearthVader

1.95/5  rDev -48.4%

750 split with my girlfriend.

Pours a muddy red, with a not so impressive tan head. It has a slightly see through body that looks like flat cherry coke. No legs left behind on my Darkness snifter at all.

Smell is of sweet, brown sugar coated, molasses. I pick up slight hints of Robitussin and cherries on the end.

Taste is sweet cough syrup with more sweet sugars added in.

I was expecting a semi full mouthfeel, but I was left with a stringy, water-like substance that was a struggle to get down.

Overall, I hated it. Enough said. You can't make a bad beer good by adding in more sugar. This is too one dimensional.

09-21-2011 05:14:36 | More by DearthVader
yeastsipper

1.98/5  rDev -47.6%

Chestnuts roasting in the kitchen prompted me to open a bottle I originally envisioned opening on Thanksgiving. I am trying this beer with the girlfriend - she is hard at work prepping for tomorrow's Thanksgiving feast while I am happily sinking into the couch.

Beer poured into an Allagash tulip.

A: The beer looks exactly like sweet tea, minus the ice. Despite an aggressive pour, there is absolutely no head, nor any semblance of carbonation or bubbles rising to the top.

S: This was the strong point of the beer. Very interesting scents with initial notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and raisins. At first I did not detect the yams but the aroma became more distinguished as the beer warmed slightly in the glass. Some of the smells really do (for me at least) conjure up images of fall.

M: The mouthfeel was very weak, which I would attribute primarily to the aforementioned lack of carbonation. It lacked any sort of body. Tangy, and not in a good way.

T: Exhibits some qualities of the more typical Belgian brown ale. However, the more I have, the less I can discern the attributes of the style and the more I notice the yams and spices. It becomes overpowering. There is a bitterness that lingers long after the sip and I find myself wanting to cleanse my palate after each sip.

D: Not good. The bitter aftertaste makes more than a smallish glass of this untenable. There is quite an alcohol wallup - noticed by both me and the girlfriend - which is hidden quite well. As I prefer my beers on the strong side, I view this as a positive.

Overall, this beer was memorable, but for the wrong reasons. I applaud the Bruery for their creativity, but in my (admittedly) novice opinion, the Autumn Maple just doesn't work. If they can get the carbonation worked out, I would be curious to try a small glass on tap next year, but I will not be buying another bottle. Ever. I am looking forward to the Bruery (hopefully) redeeming itself in the bottle of Saison Rue that I will be opening shortly.

11-27-2008 00:09:06 | More by yeastsipper
beershrine

1.98/5  rDev -47.6%

Just had this beer on thanksgiving dinner along with a several 6 or 7 other belgian styled beers.
Beer has a rich dark color and pour's nice, settles with no head quickly.
Smell is sweet strong like an extract
Taste: is a very heavy sweet taste with an overload of flavors. I kept smelling a compost pile in my glass with an offending aftertaste of shoe polish, alcohol
Mouthfeel: almost to much to grasp, balance is weird it's all sweet maple syrup... yams?
Overall: I didn't like this beer and I could not get anyone to drink more than half a glass, I think its got to much going on at once. We enjoyed lots of other belgian styled beers and we like them but I won't buy this one again, If you buy this beer do not open it > Wait at least 1 year. This beer is not aged.

11-24-2012 00:50:45 | More by beershrine
hardy008

2.3/5  rDev -39.2%

Hazy dark amber, with a two finger tan head with good retention and some lacing. The aroma has yams, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, maple, and molasses. I'm not a big fan of yams, and this smells too sweet.

The flavor has yams, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, molasses, and maple. This is a very sweet beer, without any balance. Sweet to the point of being cloying.

Medium to full bodied. Somewhat creamy. There is a cloyingly sweet aftertaste. I am surprised that the alcohol is so well disguised, especially for being 10.5%. Other than the alcohol being well disguised, this beer is a mess.

10-10-2010 20:26:46 | More by hardy008
jmarsh123

Indiana

2.38/5  rDev -37%

Poured into my CBS snifter

Poured dark brown with lots of bubbles, hardly any head.

Smells of sweet potatoes along with some pumpkin pie spice.

Flavor is similar. Sweet potato/yam really comes out. Some brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg as well. Really sweet and malty.

Low carbonation levels and a thick syrupy mouthfeel.

This one didn't do it for me at all. Too sweet and the low carbonation only enhanced that. Wasn't a horrible beer, but a drain pour nonetheless because it was too sweet to finish even between 2 people.

04-06-2012 19:10:47 | More by jmarsh123
Rifugium

2.4/5  rDev -36.5%

First had: 750ml bottle at Brigid's, Philly, PA

Dark amber color with some haze--much more haze towards the end. Light tan head. Very malty aroma, yeasty, with hints of sugar and spice. Taste is malty and bready, starchy, dry potatoes. Disappointing in that the maple was not very pronounced. Kind of flat. Medium body, moderate carbonation. Lots of sediment towards the end made the beer very harsh and yeasty. Fair overall... I don't mind some trub in my beer, but the high yeast sediment here killed it towards the last quarter of the bottle, making it almost impossible to finish even with careful pouring, and the maple taste was stale and almost not worth mentioning. Very underwhelming.

12-14-2010 16:26:39 | More by Rifugium
DoubleD89

2.45/5  rDev -35.2%

I had high hopes for this beer, but that was not to be the case.

My first Bruery beer, and I don't think I will be buying this again next year.

Smell is clove, some yams, and just a tinge of alcohol. First sip was awkward. I didn't know what to think of it. Taste is of yams and spice, with a slight alcohol burn (to be expected at 10%). I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it.

As it warmed, I thought it would get better, but I was wrong. Slightly boozy, sweet, and yam tasting. Bitter finish. Moderate mouthfeel. Definitely not my cup of tea. I've never drain poured a beer, but I definitely thought about it, and struggled to get the last few gulps down.

I split this with a friend and he shared the same sentiments as me. I understand this is supposed to be an alternative take on a pumpkin beer, but nothing about this reminded me of pumpkin or pumpkin pie. It was more like my grandma's sweet potato marshmallow casserole that didn't turn out right.

I guess you either love it or hate it.

10-02-2011 20:36:35 | More by DoubleD89
ZacharyJ

2.53/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a dark red-orange. Very Hazy. Small quarter inch head that dissipates quickly. Pretty good lacing that lasts throughout.

S- Sweet. Very fruity. Smells oddly of pumpkin, even though there is none in the beer. Some light berry notes.

T. Overpoweringly sweet. Can't taste any maple or molasses. Tastes a lot like apple cider.

M- Sugared apples and grape linger in the strong after taste. Not much as far as carbonation.

D- Tough to get through the full pint. Actually tossed a little bit in with my chicken to see if I could get any real pleasure out of this brew. To fruity, and sugary for this guy.

11-29-2010 00:24:46 | More by ZacharyJ
LSUPT

2.55/5  rDev -32.5%

750ml bottle thanks, I guess, to DearthVader, poured to a La Fin du Monde Tulip.

Pours a dark brown with reddish brown edges, scratch that, poo brown with and hint of red, hazy and near impossible to see through, with a 2 1/2” off white leaning to beige head with average retention that leaves scarce lacing.

Smells of mostly maple a slight breadiness and roast malt, smell and tastes like an average dubbel. Really odd taste aside from the maple and roasted malt. A slight hop bitterness and a good bit of alcohol present. I see what they were going for they just missed with the taste. Mouthfeel is low is carbonation slightly smooth mouth but full bodied and a lingering hotness.

Overall, an odd beer but there is certainly room for improvement for this style and I'm just not really a fan of maple based beers, but seriously thanks, as always, to Brian but, unfortunately, I agreed with you on this one.

10-07-2011 06:39:23 | More by LSUPT
suncrust

Washington

2.55/5  rDev -32.5%

A- Unfiltered, light coppery brown color with a small, brown head. Not much to look at. Kind of a brothy, soup stock sort of vibe. Earthy but light. Light carbonation with little activity. The head dissipates fairly quickly and doesn't stick to the glass.

S- Sharper smells with lemon accents. Initially a big yam boldness, belgian yeast, light dark bready aromas and a spicy fruit character. Overwhelming roasted mashed yam/sweet potato smells, light banana, and clove characters throughout. Extremely sugary- dark maple syrup and vague spice shine with the roasted yams bouquets to round this one out.

T- Sweet brown sugar melded with a light roasted yam character and plenty of belgian yeast. A little lemon citrus upfront. Sweetened maple syrup darkness mixed with molasses and herbal tea dominants the palate. Sugary bourbons, roasted textures, a mild lemon acidity, and a lemon herbal tea character from the spices finishes it out.

MF- Lingering candied traits and a modest spiciness on the tongue. A big belgian beer that's not overly thick but offers virtually no drinkability. Incredibly sugary, mild astringency.

O- This beer reminds me a lot of bourbon sweet potatoes served at a Thanksgiving dinner. Very sweet, lots of alcohol, a gigantic amount of maple syrup, all with roasted yams buried underneath the flavors. Booze stands in the finish amid a molasses and syrupy belgian style brew. Disappointing, rough to drink. Didn't like the balance between the flavors much. This beer could have improved from a different yeast choice. Also, not a fan of maple syrup…. that turned me off a bit.

11-27-2011 04:27:54 | More by suncrust
nassaubeercop

2.58/5  rDev -31.7%

A- Dark reddish brown pour with thin white head, no lacing.

S-Earthy, rasin, maple syrup

T- Light pumpkin pie spice sweetness, even though this beer is made with sweet potatoes it has a typical pumpkin beer flavor. Some malt and a little alcohol, little or no hop bitterness. For a beer with maple in it's name I can't really taste it.

M- Light carbonation. Champagne like bubbles on the tip of the tongue. Slight malt aftertaste.

O- Not a bad beer but kinda mild.  Rather disappointed. Kinda reminiscent of an English brown with a little sugar and spice thrown in. I had expected a much bolder beer with much more maple and fall flavors.

09-03-2011 00:25:50 | More by nassaubeercop
OStrungT

2.6/5  rDev -31.2%

This beer pours a cloudy brown colow, with a thin tan head. The head fades quickly, leaving very little lace.

This beer has a mild maple syrup flavor. It has a slight cinnimon aroma as well. Some yam and marshmally aroma also.

Wow...This beer is unique. It tastes like it smells. Yams, marshmallow, maple syrup and cinnimon. It is a little over sweet.

This beer is full bodied. It is too sweet. It leaves a sweet aftertaste.

This beer wouldnt make a good session beer. The sweetness is overpowering.

Overall: Nice try. It is unique, and if is wasnt so overpowering, it might be good. As it is, it is way too sweet.

06-05-2009 23:45:16 | More by OStrungT
Patrick999

2.6/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours amber, lighter than I expected. Good foam.

I like the aroma, it smells like sweet potato mash with cinnamon.

Well, OK. Not a lot of sweetness...some rotten maple syrup...seems overly bitter for the style. Alcohol, while not tasted, is extremely warming here. I'm not a fan. This should be sweeter, creamier, and around 7%.

Thin feel, which I would probably like if I thought the beer tasted better.

I was expecting something else. This is a big alcohol bomb with some maple and sweet potato flavors, but not enough to keep it interesting for me. Doesn't need to be 10%. At all.

09-12-2010 20:14:44 | More by Patrick999
bpgpitt10

District of Columbia

2.6/5  rDev -31.2%

Bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Maybe a burnt orange color with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Pretty average.
S: Not too bad. Some nice spice smells with a some of the yammy-ness to it. A bit of some rich sweetness... molasses or maple syrup like.
T: Just totally off. It's overly sweet and the yams taste more like undercooked yams than sweet delicious ones. Decent amount of spice coming through but that plus the belgian style sweetness is the show here. Totally unbalanced.
M: Medium mouthfeel to it. Nothing too overly special here.

Overall: Really just not very good. It had some interesting smells, but the flavor was very unbalanced. Nice try, but something I really didn't enjoy. Plus... it's dang pricey.

11-04-2011 23:48:32 | More by bpgpitt10
julian

Washington

2.65/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Was excited to try this given the time of year and the fact I've never tried it before...keyword "was".

A: Pours a dark brown and ruby with a big bubbly deep almond colored head that disappears quickly and completely. No lacing.

S: Smell is an unusual dry earthy brown sugar aroma, hint of maple, alcohol. It's not very inviting. More sweet and dry/earthy than anything.

T&M: Sweet, sugary, not unlike some of Bruery's other offerings (BT anyone?). Lots of brown sugar, molasses, maybe a hint of maple syrup. Could hazard a guess there's nutmeg or clove in here, or both. Not sure, this seems to be a grab bag of spices. Too much that none of them stand out, and lend to the overall taste experience. Wouldn't have been able to guess there's yams in here either. This is mainly a very sweet carbonated syrup beverage. Speaking of carbonation, it's a little on the low side. Could be a bit less watery and a bit more bubbly.

O: I don't know. Bruery has some OK beers and some great beers but I haven't tried anything yet that has blown my mind. And more often than not, it's just a miss for me. This beer is not great. I'd say this is more an experiment and in early development stages than a complete final product. Maybe with some work they could make it good, but until then I will not be buying this again.

EDIT: This ended up being a drain pour :(

09-18-2011 20:51:58 | More by julian
wisrarebeer

Wisconsin

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

A: deep copper brown
S: yeasty, with hints of alcohol and unfermented sweetness
T: a bit thin for alcohol, on sweeter side, unusual with decent taste but not to my liking, bitterness is there but sweetness wins out, very little head, big fat bubbles
M: sweet but not lacquerish
D: it is what it is but not my style

01-12-2009 01:46:14 | More by wisrarebeer
VincentFrey

Maryland

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

Pour / Appearance: Capped bottle poured into a Heavy Seas tulip. Dark, partially opaque ruby red. Very pretty. Little carbonation; a small ring around the glass but no real head to speak of. For a 10% beer I'm not really surprised, although I'd think the bottle conditioning would have more of an effect. Slight detractor to the appearance, but not a major flaw.

Aroma: Heavy spicing (allspice, nutmeg?) and hints of yam, but not overpoweringly so. Darker malts balance the nose, and faint sugars provide a nice winter warmer aspect. Alcohol is present but masked. Nothing like a brown ale, but a great smell for a yam / pumpkin beer.

Flavor: Wow those spices really quick. Oddly there is a very watery aspect to the whole thing, which is incredibly off putting. It's like mulled water on the backend, and I'm halfway wondering if this did get infected. There is some belgian yeast character, but mostly spice water. I'm very disappointed

Overall: Would have been great if it weren't for the mouthfeel and resultant taste. Maybe well carbed it was excellent, but now it's kinda died,

Bottom Line: I'm not going to bother next year, though I may be in the minority. Can't recommend based on the bottle sampled.

12-31-2013 01:58:11 | More by VincentFrey
Gravelost

2.69/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer was my first experience with a yam brewed beer. I must say that while the beer description was great, the beer its self was not to my liking. I drank this beer on a cool winter day, and I just could not enjoy this beer. The smell was defiantly a tuber brewed beer, smelling sweet and earthy, but the flavor was peculiar. On initial taste, the beer is overpowering. I suggest letting the beer breath for at least a few minutes. Again, earthy and sweet, not a regular flavor for beer. I believe the intent of the brewers was to have you enjoy one of these after thanksgiving dinner with a piece of pie. Best of luck in your adventures, Z.

02-11-2013 19:32:32 | More by Gravelost
drcarver

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured from a bomber bottle.

A - nice light brown/deep amber color. sparkling with a quick head formation and equally as quick dissapation. Bit of lacing hangs on the top.

S - what a shock, it smell like vegetables and some sweetnees. I would say maple syrup or molasses but definitely sweet.

T/M - like drinking liquid sugar. i feel diabetic now. molasses and yam flavor comes rushing in to the room, beats up all the spices and beer flavor and drags their corspes down your throat in a sticky ooze. Flavor hangs for a while but cleans up nicely. Second sip isn't any easier, but the maple comes through. Full bodied and syrupy.

D - Not really.

10-02-2010 23:03:19 | More by drcarver
ahurd11085

Georgia

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

Man was I let down by this one. I had high hopes for this beer, and this is the first time the Bruery hasn't knocked my socks off.

A: 750 mL bottle poured into tulip glass. Pours a fairly clear brownish red with an off white one finger head.

S: Yams, yams, more yams, a bit of nutmeg and other spice, and more yams. I can pick up trace hints of alcohol and Belgian phenols behind the yam onslaught.

T: Pretty much what the nose suggested. There are traces of toasted malt, phenolic flavors, spice and sweetness, but all of it is crushed by the dominate yam flavor. Just way too much, totally out of balance. Maybe age will help?

M: Good, a pleasant heaviness that doesn't become too viscous or clinging. Moderate carbonation

D: Awful. On one hand the alcohol was very well hidden, but the flavors are just so crushing that I couldn't finish more than 4-6 oz before I had to hand off the bottle to a friend, who had less than that before handing it off to the drain.

10-22-2010 00:46:08 | More by ahurd11085
PeterIngemi

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

Split a 750 ml poured into a duvel glass

A: pours a murky copper ish brown with a little over a finger of lightly tanned head. Dissapates into a lingering film, some spots of lacing.

S: notes of Belgian yeast come through at first, bannana peal and a slight hint of Clove, followed by an earthy yam aroma along with some faint spice notes, a light warming toastyness, dont really get much maple in the aroma... Out of the spices I can deffinatly notice some cinnamon, not a huge fan on the aroma here, dose not smell like something I am really goin to enjoy.

T: yah deffinatly note a huge fan here, everything I picked up on in the nose is intensified, especially the belgian yeast characteristics, I get a light hint of maple sweetness on the finish but I feel as though it is being overwhelmed by the yeast and spices, this beer doesn't feel rounded to me at all, a lot of flavor all over the place and none of them particuarly flavors I enjoy.

M: medium body with a medium carbonation the hits the tounge a bit sharply on the finish, that doesn't seem to complement the brew well, also I am left with a yammy aftertaste in my mouth that I do not find I credibly pleasant.

O: I do not like this beer, I feel like it is not very week rounded, the flavors clash, and the Belgian yeast overwhelms just about everything else.... Deffinatly my least favorite offering from the bruery...

09-16-2012 02:44:35 | More by PeterIngemi
Bung

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

750ml. Cloudy dark orange pour, nice off white head and some lacing. Aroma has some pumpkin, nutmeg, allspice with sweet potato fries. Not really any aromas you'd expect to accompany a beer. Taste has some of the aroma, but also has a sour note that just lingers throughout. Candy sweet, no maple or malt sweetness. Fairly clean though, light bodied, right at the end of the spectrum of acceptable carbonation. Alcohol is not real apparent. I'm going to really struggle finishing the whole bottle. Sweet with sour and the Belgian yeast really just doesn't do it for me. Definetely one to share with others. Interesting and worth trying, but I think there are many reviews here that want this to be better than it really is.

10-16-2009 17:43:04 | More by Bung
craytonic

District of Columbia

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance: Pour is near flat. Not a good start. From skimming a few reviews, this seems to be a common theme, and negatively impacts all scores, particularly mouthfeel and drinkability. Even with that, a nice autumn-colored beer. Lets call it a wash and go for "average"

Smell: Would have guessed pumpkin ale, but I guess it is yams. I think it is more the cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg that give it the pumpkin pie feeling. Bit of molasses, maple syrup, and vanilla as well.

Taste: Similar to the smell, tastes near pumpkin-ale with lots of brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Bit of toffee. Definitely some maple syrup, vanilla, and molasses. A bit sweet. Would love to see what actually goes into this one.

Mouthfeel: Near flat. Completely kills the beer.

Drinkability: Just can't drink it near-flat. If they are confirmed to fix this, I will give it another try. Category is BSDA? Really?

Tried the 2010 version, it was carbonated but smell and taste are worse.

11-20-2009 04:01:47 | More by craytonic
davewlfpckfan29

2.86/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The thing about this beer is, it tastes a lot like most fall, pumpkin/squash beers.
and the heavy alcohol taste is not very appealing when it comes to being a drinkable beer.

It pours a dark brown, with a golden tint to it.

Smells kinda nice. It has those herbal spices, maybe a faint maple or "molasses" .
It also smells like it might have a heavy alcohol content.

The thing I don't like about the taste, is that the 10% alcohol is kind of in your face.
There are cinnamon and other spices apparent, and a faint taste that I get from most pumpkin/squash beers. I can taste a bit of good things going on in here, but its a little overpowered.

The mouthfeel was not that pleasant, and the people with me agreed.

11-20-2013 03:44:23 | More by davewlfpckfan29