Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,805 | Reviews: 587

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

1.36/5  rDev -63.9%

1.43/5  rDev -62.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

taste: Dimetapp, Vicks, formented yams, metal

Overall: Really bad! Drain Pour.

Mouthfeel : Please get this out of my mouth ASAP

The only beer I have ever had from the Bruery. My other BA friend shared this and agreed with pouring the left over 2/3 down the drain.

I realize experimentaion is how you create new product. This seems like a mistake they brewed to much of and said well.... Lets put it in a fancy bottle with a fancy label and someone will buy it. Please dont. YUK!

1.5/5  rDev -60.2%

1.64/5  rDev -56.5%

Bottle: Poured a light burgundy color ale with a very thin bubbly head with no retention and no lacing. Aroma of yams is dominating with some sweet malt. Taste is also dominated by yams with some sweet malt but absence of carbonation and overpowering of sweetness renders this beer quite gross. Body is very thin and somewhat oily with no carbonation and alcohol was not apparent. I must admit that I am very disappointed by this one - no carbonation and grossly sweet makes for a total mess. This is surprising considering the very good beers I had from the brewery previously.

1.68/5  rDev -55.4%

1.75/5  rDev -53.6%

1.97/5  rDev -47.7%

750 split with my girlfriend.

Pours a muddy red, with a not so impressive tan head. It has a slightly see through body that looks like flat cherry coke. No legs left behind on my Darkness snifter at all.

Smell is of sweet, brown sugar coated, molasses. I pick up slight hints of Robitussin and cherries on the end.

Taste is sweet cough syrup with more sweet sugars added in.

I was expecting a semi full mouthfeel, but I was left with a stringy, water-like substance that was a struggle to get down.

Overall, I hated it. Enough said. You can't make a bad beer good by adding in more sugar. This is too one dimensional.

On tap at The Bruery. Had trouble finishing my taster in the flight, had a really foul aftertaste.

2.05/5  rDev -45.6%

Just had this beer on thanksgiving dinner along with a several 6 or 7 other belgian styled beers.
Beer has a rich dark color and pour's nice, settles with no head quickly.
Smell is sweet strong like an extract
Taste: is a very heavy sweet taste with an overload of flavors. I kept smelling a compost pile in my glass with an offending aftertaste of shoe polish, alcohol
Mouthfeel: almost to much to grasp, balance is weird it's all sweet maple syrup... yams?
Overall: I didn't like this beer and I could not get anyone to drink more than half a glass, I think its got to much going on at once. We enjoyed lots of other belgian styled beers and we like them but I won't buy this one again, If you buy this beer do not open it > Wait at least 1 year. This beer is not aged.

2.08/5  rDev -44.8%

Chestnuts roasting in the kitchen prompted me to open a bottle I originally envisioned opening on Thanksgiving. I am trying this beer with the girlfriend - she is hard at work prepping for tomorrow's Thanksgiving feast while I am happily sinking into the couch.

Beer poured into an Allagash tulip.

A: The beer looks exactly like sweet tea, minus the ice. Despite an aggressive pour, there is absolutely no head, nor any semblance of carbonation or bubbles rising to the top.

S: This was the strong point of the beer. Very interesting scents with initial notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and raisins. At first I did not detect the yams but the aroma became more distinguished as the beer warmed slightly in the glass. Some of the smells really do (for me at least) conjure up images of fall.

M: The mouthfeel was very weak, which I would attribute primarily to the aforementioned lack of carbonation. It lacked any sort of body. Tangy, and not in a good way.

T: Exhibits some qualities of the more typical Belgian brown ale. However, the more I have, the less I can discern the attributes of the style and the more I notice the yams and spices. It becomes overpowering. There is a bitterness that lingers long after the sip and I find myself wanting to cleanse my palate after each sip.

D: Not good. The bitter aftertaste makes more than a smallish glass of this untenable. There is quite an alcohol wallup - noticed by both me and the girlfriend - which is hidden quite well. As I prefer my beers on the strong side, I view this as a positive.

Overall, this beer was memorable, but for the wrong reasons. I applaud the Bruery for their creativity, but in my (admittedly) novice opinion, the Autumn Maple just doesn't work. If they can get the carbonation worked out, I would be curious to try a small glass on tap next year, but I will not be buying another bottle. Ever. I am looking forward to the Bruery (hopefully) redeeming itself in the bottle of Saison Rue that I will be opening shortly.

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

2.33/5  rDev -38.2%

Hazy dark amber, with a two finger tan head with good retention and some lacing. The aroma has yams, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, maple, and molasses. I'm not a big fan of yams, and this smells too sweet.

The flavor has yams, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, molasses, and maple. This is a very sweet beer, without any balance. Sweet to the point of being cloying.

Medium to full bodied. Somewhat creamy. There is a cloyingly sweet aftertaste. I am surprised that the alcohol is so well disguised, especially for being 10.5%. Other than the alcohol being well disguised, this beer is a mess.

2.43/5  rDev -35.5%

First had: 750ml bottle at Brigid's, Philly, PA

Dark amber color with some haze--much more haze towards the end. Light tan head. Very malty aroma, yeasty, with hints of sugar and spice. Taste is malty and bready, starchy, dry potatoes. Disappointing in that the maple was not very pronounced. Kind of flat. Medium body, moderate carbonation. Lots of sediment towards the end made the beer very harsh and yeasty. Fair overall... I don't mind some trub in my beer, but the high yeast sediment here killed it towards the last quarter of the bottle, making it almost impossible to finish even with careful pouring, and the maple taste was stale and almost not worth mentioning. Very underwhelming.

2.46/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

750ml into a matching Bruery snifter. The brew appears a deep reddish brown color with a yellow cap. The smells of yams is prevalent initially then caramel spice and earth as it warms. As the experience continues its almost soapy. The taste is tart and fruity with some vegetative component that isnt that great. A bit of spice. Inwould not drink this again, its pretty bad.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Autumn Maple from The Bruery