Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Reviews: 582 | Hads: 1,842
2.67/5  rDev -29.6%

Bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Maybe a burnt orange color with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Pretty average.
S: Not too bad. Some nice spice smells with a some of the yammy-ness to it. A bit of some rich sweetness... molasses or maple syrup like.
T: Just totally off. It's overly sweet and the yams taste more like undercooked yams than sweet delicious ones. Decent amount of spice coming through but that plus the belgian style sweetness is the show here. Totally unbalanced.
M: Medium mouthfeel to it. Nothing too overly special here.

Overall: Really just not very good. It had some interesting smells, but the flavor was very unbalanced. Nice try, but something I really didn't enjoy. Plus... it's dang pricey. (722 characters)

Sampled on-tap at Hops & Pie. Compared side-by-side to Upslope's Pumpkin Ale.

Cloudy light orangey-amber color, with a little noticeable particulate. Sort of looks like unfiltered, fresh apple cider. Minimal head, light carbonation. Some may not like the cloudiness, but I feel it suits the beer nicely, as it's a bit rustic in nature, in a good way.

An intriguing nose and palate that is a bit earthy and subtly complex, with a nice rawness to it, like opening up a fresh can of pureed pumpkin or yams. The spice is nicely integrated, at least when I tried it, and not overblown by any means (although the Short's Huma Lupa Licious IPA I had beforehand could've skewed my tastebuds a bit).

Like comfort food, this is comfort beer. A wonderful Fall seasonal. (761 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -30.9%

A- Unfiltered, light coppery brown color with a small, brown head. Not much to look at. Kind of a brothy, soup stock sort of vibe. Earthy but light. Light carbonation with little activity. The head dissipates fairly quickly and doesn't stick to the glass.

S- Sharper smells with lemon accents. Initially a big yam boldness, belgian yeast, light dark bready aromas and a spicy fruit character. Overwhelming roasted mashed yam/sweet potato smells, light banana, and clove characters throughout. Extremely sugary- dark maple syrup and vague spice shine with the roasted yams bouquets to round this one out.

T- Sweet brown sugar melded with a light roasted yam character and plenty of belgian yeast. A little lemon citrus upfront. Sweetened maple syrup darkness mixed with molasses and herbal tea dominants the palate. Sugary bourbons, roasted textures, a mild lemon acidity, and a lemon herbal tea character from the spices finishes it out.

MF- Lingering candied traits and a modest spiciness on the tongue. A big belgian beer that's not overly thick but offers virtually no drinkability. Incredibly sugary, mild astringency.

O- This beer reminds me a lot of bourbon sweet potatoes served at a Thanksgiving dinner. Very sweet, lots of alcohol, a gigantic amount of maple syrup, all with roasted yams buried underneath the flavors. Booze stands in the finish amid a molasses and syrupy belgian style brew. Disappointing, rough to drink. Didn't like the balance between the flavors much. This beer could have improved from a different yeast choice. Also, not a fan of maple syrup…. that turned me off a bit. (1,610 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle received from the ever generous HopHead84. Thank you Shane.

Pours a copper brown color into my Chimay chalice. A white head barely emerges and disappears quickly. No lacing is present. Carbonation is barely visible, not a terrible thing, but a place I would note for improvement. If you didn't know, you'd swear you smell pumpkin. Needless to say, I truly love yams, so when I heard about this beer, I did not think, "huh, weird." I thought, "all right, about time." Nose hits you with pumpkin pie, spices-nutmeg, cinnamon, clove (mild), and allspice. I'v already envisioned what this would smell like with a hot cider mix. Also, hints of the maple sweetness and malt mingle with a mild scent of vanilla, spiced rum, and raisins.

Taste doesn't smack you in the face with pumpkin pie, or yams, yeah whatever. The point is that the initial push of flavor is the sweet malt, toffee and brown sugar, raisins, before the clowning achievement of then delivering the pumpkin pie-in-the-face and the accompanying spices. A gentle alcohol oompf at the end reminds you that you are dealing with a beer that weighs in at 10.5%. Well played in that regard for sure. Mouthfeel is the only thing that seems pedestrian. It is neither a detriment to the drinkability of this beer, nor is it a place where it shines. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, nice and chewy, incredibly light carbonation, with a well done dry, almost herbal finish.

I almost want to drive the drinkability score up to 4.5, but it falls a hair short due to the carbonation. That said, this beer is in the upper echelon of pumpkin/yam/fall harvest beers. Should Wisconsin start getting the Bruery (and I hear we might), this beer would be a welcome guest for fall and winter festivities. (1,750 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I was not sure I'd love this beer but I was sure my guests would love it. But it turns out that I knew I would love this beer and I ended up drinking almost a third of the bottle. It's definitely a tricky beer to pull out at T-day (the perfect beer but...) some people just don't love a complex beer like this. Have you ever had sweet potatoes with maple syrup? Yeah. So this is that and somehow better. It takes a moment, but it strikes you that the flavor and mouthfeel of this ambitious T-day beer is rightly balanced. I was sad when the bottle was done, despite all the other beers at my fingertips (I over-prepared for Thanksgiving cuz it was my first time hosting...lots of leftover food and beer!) Thanks The Bruery, let's make this a tradition. (752 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

750 ml bottle from Bev4less in Santee.

A cloudy brown pour with amber highlights and a very small beige head that suggests under-carbonation. The aroma is big with the distinctive bouquet of Belgian style yeasts, raisins, dates, some fruit notes that I can not put my finger on(yams perhaps) and brown sugar. The flavor like the aroma has that distinctive character that tells you this is a Belgian style concoction; this is a sweet brew with brown sugar, spices, molasses and dark fruits. The mouthfeel is full and smooth, the finish is long with lots of molasses.

While this is a sweet beer, it is not overpoweringly so, Autumn Maple is well balanced with spices and fruit. It kinda reminds me of Alpines Ichabod 2007 without the sour. I'd bet that it would make a great sour base beer to that extent. C'mon Patrick throw in some Brett and age it in Oak.

One last note--I'm not sure why this is classified as a pumpkin beer when the label states that there is no pumpkin used in the brewing. (998 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a deep amber with deep reddish highlights and a beige one finger head. Lots of carbonation lines the edge of the glass leaving a very fine ring. Looks super appetizing. Aroma is predominately sugar and spice and everything nice. Reminds me of pecan pie for some reason. Smells a bit "hot." I can tell there's a good amount of ABV lurking inside. Taste is fig, raisins, molasses and spices. I'm reading the label right now and it's spot on.. "..brewed with yams, molasses, maple syrup and spices." If that's not an accurate description I don't know what is. Mouthfeel is on par with other top belgian strong dark ales. I wouldn't say this is a super drinkable beer. I'm through one glass and I'm feeling a lil cloudy-headed already.
Overall, a pretty good brew and perfect for the fall months! (799 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 750 into a tulip.

A- Poured an apt autumn deep reddish orange body, very little head that dissipated quickly, no carbonation seen in the hazed body.

S- Very decent aroma! Belgian yeast, honey yam, maple, you can pick up some nuttiness/spice too but it is very subtle and blended well. A bit of alcohol as the beer opens up.

T- A "seemingly" complex flavor of belgian yeast, molasses roasted yam, nuttiness, very subtle maple. Great blend with excellent balance! I really enjoyed the flavor. Again, a subtle booze as the beer opens up.

MF- Light-medium bodied, light-medium carbonation. smooth/slick drinkability. Decent but not par for the style.

O- The flavor is there but it only hangs around the palate just enough to make this a fast sipping beer . Great for the holidays! The spices really accent fall/winter. I can see myself grabbing this a lot for a ham/turkey dinner! (895 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -3.2%

A medium-heavy bodied deep clear amber brew with a highly sweet aroma. On the top end the flavor is fairly sweet, with some alcohol on the nose. The aftertaste may be more interesting with this one - going from sugary sweet and spice to roasty malts to a bittering hop finish. Makes one want another sip. A strange, but interesting brew. The ABV catches up with the head quickly though. (386 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The Bruery makes amazing brews and this is one of my favorites. First of all, the Fall is my favorite season and this beer compliments that time of the year perfectly (in my opinion). The appearance is like that of the brilliant maple leaf as it falls from the limb to the ground. Aromas of boozy autumn flavors fill the air and warms my palate as it flows throughout. The best part is that I found this gem in the cooler hidden behind other beers and paid less than $10 for it... Nice! (486 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -9%

A - Mahogany. Moderate to dense off-white head. Low retention with minor lace.

S - Not much of an aroma here. I'm not getting all the spice or 'clove studded oranges' that I read about.

T - At first taste I was unimpressed. But it developed. You can taste the yam but the lingering flavor is the molasses. The molasses is interesting because there is sweetness that combines well with the malt to begin with a bitterness at the end that makes up for the lack of hops (same finishing molasses note as in baked beans - for reals).

M - Moderate body; not unctuous. Carbonation dissipates too quickly.

D - I don't find this to be a sipper. It is a strong ale. Good drinker.

I think this will age v. nicely (710 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +2.6%

750mL poured in my Goose Island Chalice. 4/28/11

A- Aumber in color, off-white to light caramel head about 1 1/2 fingers thick. Disapates quickly, a little lacing, but thin on the retracting.

S- Caramel and toffee notes, Belgian yeast, baking spices, definitely some maple syrup w/sweetness.

T- Caramel malts, maple syrup, subtle yams, watered-down molasses which work in a good way for me, nutmeg, cinnamon, Belgian yeast, candied orange peel. This beer works for me. Just a little thin.

M- A little thin on the mouthfeel, but smooth.

Overall- I like this beer. I wish the finish was a little longer. I could see myself sipping on this while the leaves change in my favorite month of October! (698 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance- Almost looks like apple cider... no head on this beer.
Aroma- Sweet, Yammy, Maple syrup and some faint spice.
Mouthfeel- Low carbonation which I find nice for this style of beer and it's quite smooth.
Taste- Malt, sweetness, nutmeg, alcohol warmth, maple... not much yam taste. The yam is more on the nose than in the taste. This is a great fall beer... a little expensive in my opinion... but definitely a unique beer to seek out. (443 characters)

It would be better if the molasses flavor didn't overpower the maple. I like it otherwise. Maybe it's a California thing, but he molasses hit my palate first which was not what I expected. (188 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Served from a bottle into a snifter

Lovely rusty amber colour with generous creamy head.

Smell of coriander, nutmeg, slight cinnamon, slight maple. Definite Belguim fruity scent.

First taste was ok. Needed to allow brew to warm a bit to get the full flavor. Maple came out along with the yam once warm.

Carbonation was adequate and not too thin.

Overall content with this brew but it's not my ab fav of the Oktoberfest beverages. Hybrids are a seasonal liking for me. Delicious at first then I get fatigued with the cinnamon, nutmeg, spice thing etc...only until Christmas hit the shelves. :o) (599 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer was my first experience with a yam brewed beer. I must say that while the beer description was great, the beer its self was not to my liking. I drank this beer on a cool winter day, and I just could not enjoy this beer. The smell was defiantly a tuber brewed beer, smelling sweet and earthy, but the flavor was peculiar. On initial taste, the beer is overpowering. I suggest letting the beer breath for at least a few minutes. Again, earthy and sweet, not a regular flavor for beer. I believe the intent of the brewers was to have you enjoy one of these after thanksgiving dinner with a piece of pie. Best of luck in your adventures, Z. (646 characters)

Poured crisply - had a nice sweet smell of the yams it boasted as well as everything autumnal, but the taste sadly washed down with more of a cough medicine sensation - very sugary, a little too much for my taste. And the taste lingered for a little longer than I would've liked as well. (290 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -7.1%

Live in Texas and this was hard to get for me
A: Mahogany, poured pretty aggressive which made a mess
S: Yams maple syrup clove brown sugar.
T: Maybe im too much of a noob but i thought it tasted alot like DFH Punkin Ale. I mean in a blind taste test with the exception of the alcohol coming through i wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
M: Heavy with the alcohol burning all the way down
O: Good but not worth the hassel of finding a website that would ship to me. Maybe ill get another and let it sit for a year. (518 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -9%

Poured a light brown/orange color. Very unfortunate in the head department as there was no real head to speak of. A few bubbles formed but quickly fizzed away. Looks are not everything a complete lack of head?

Ok, the smell...Wow, the smell on this brew is good. Does not smell like a beer at all actually but has some nice warm spicy notes (some stemming from the yeast I imagine) along side a heaping of yams.

The taste, without a doubt this is a very interesting brew. You can definitely taste the yams right up front. The hints of spices come through followed by a taste that I cant quite pinpoint...it's actually probably the molasses & maple syrup. The hops are kept to a minimum.Though on the back end of things, there's an odd aftertaste that I don't find too pleasant.

It does feel nice in the mouthfeel department. Full bodied an syrupy with very little carbonation. This beer packs a bunch at 10.5% ABV. It's a very interesting brew that's big on yams but I can recommend to try, but in the end, it's not my cup of tea...and I'm a big pumpkin/spice ale fan (1,072 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Went down to the Charleston Beer Exchange in downtown Charleston, SC. They have "Rare Beer Tuesday's" which happens to be today, 09/29/09.

I poured it from the growler and noticed the dark hazy color, almost like sweet tea. There was no real head on the beer, maybe 2 fingers at most and off-white in color, which had a very short retention time.

It smells like grandma's house on Thanksgiving. Immediately my nose was greeted with cinnamon, clove, maple syrup, brown sugar, almost like a candied ham or yam for that matter.

The taste is an orchestra of cinnamon, brown sugar, clove with an aftertaste of candied yams and vanilla icecream mixed together, you know when you burp up candied yams after Thanksgiving dinner. A very Southern taste!

This is definately very drinkable, especially when in good company, and a beer to share for sure. The alcohol leaves a perfect burn in the back of your throat, very nice on a cold day.

I highly recommend this beer for the fall. The beer creates a perfect equation for fall and winter, all you need is Autumn Maple(+)Friends(+)A Fire(X)Cold weather and you will be sure to have a good time. (1,139 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

750ml into my ol' workhorse, the dogfish 22oz snifter. Pours out a deep auburn/reddish-brown, slightly murky, 1/2" head falls to heavy fog and a solid ring. Slow falling lace. The aroma is pretty muted, beer might be too cold, so I'm gonna give it a minute to warm... Ok, so not a huge improvement in the smell, I'm getting a sweet Belgian aroma, some spice, both yeasty and added, perhaps some hints of orange. I'm not picking up a whole lot of malt character, which isn't awesome for a brownish beer. The flavor is an interesting maple-milk chocolate, nice and round with a slight alcohol character, this definitely tastes "young," and I could see this aging wonderfully. The spices are nice and mellow, but there. The bitterness is good and strong with an interesting cinnamon bite. I'm not really sure what the yams bring to the table. The mouthfeel is pretty good, although the alcohol is definitely there, which hurts it. The finish is nice and clean. Overall this beer drinks pretty well, only really hindered by the alcohol, which I figure is going to smooth over with a little time. I'm gonna grab a pair of these to throw into the cellar, I'm super pumped these guys are in Ohio now! (1,193 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured a beautiful reddish haze. Thick creamy slightly orange head with great retention.

Smell and taste mirror one another. The maple was present, but not too sweet. Belgian yeasts, vanilla, a touch of spice from either the cinnamon or the nutmeg. Perfect warmth from the alcohol. The balance was great. Often times these fall seasonal offerings are overpowered by their one dimensional main ingredient.

The mouthfeel was a nice medium to thick consistency, with nice dancing on the tongue from the carbonation. This is definitely more of a session beer for me, and I don't think that I could drink too many glasses.

Although it's pricey, I'm glad I picked up two bottles. I'll save the other one for a month or two. (720 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

750 ML bottle, shared w/myself, by myself, on a lonely and cold night in November.

Appearance is inviting, nicely carb'd, good reddish brown hued beer. Good head, retention is low - dissipates quickly.

Smell is nice. Not super complex in the nose. Get a nice sense of the base beer, really like the barrel version but this one is a good substitute.

Taste is great! Wow, really nice this regular version. Lots of flavors and very complex even without the barrel treatment. This beer is right up my alley. The taste is a sneaker as it comes up swinging from a smell/nose that isn't as complex. I get the yams, some residual sugar.

Mouthfeel is nice, full bodied but medium in "weight." Refreshing and zesty carbonation.

Overall this is a nice beer, feel good about recommending this one as a good, lower priced version, of the barrel-aged AM. Will definitely buy more! (876 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: dark amber, earthy brown, a bit hazy
Nose: fig, plum, dark fruit, hint of booze/maple
Taste: sweet but not cloying, plums, raisons, root vegetables like carrots and rutabaga
Mouthfeel: Light to Medium body, nothing remarkable, but what you'd expect from the style

Overall this brew was great. This was a brew from 2011, was cellared properly, and was overall a great beer. Not too long ago I had this fresh, and was impressed. This was different, but still good.

I would not seek this out, however, I enjoyed thoroughly (533 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Very classy looking beer, burgundy in color, off white/tan head doesn't last too long. Smell is oak, pumpkin spices, brown sugar, green tea, not much maple. The maple comes out a tiny bit more in the taste but is still disappointingly subtle. The yam I think has a cleaner less punchy flavor than pumpkin which in my opinion is a good thing. Pumpkin can be very pungent depending on the species and ripeness and I've definitely enjoyed a minority of the many pumpkin beers that I've tried; sufficed to say I'm not the greatest pumpkin beer fan. Mouth feel is good, decent amount of carbonation, medium bodied, a little bit of alcohol spice on the finish. The alcohol is actually very well hidden in this beer. Overall I think if you're going to call out the main ingredient in a beer then it should be front and center, the maple is too subtle. But that's about my only serious complaint. The yam works amazingly well as a pumpkin replacement. The flavor is extremely well balanced, the pumpkin spices are not overpowering. A perfect beer to enjoy on a cold evening cozied up in front of a roaring fire. (1,139 characters)

Autumn Maple from The Bruery