Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

A- Dark Brown, slightly translucent, a head that was small at first, but began to build and remained thin for the rest of the drink.

S- Sweet potatoes, Syrup, slight booziness.

T- Wow... yams, syrup, thanksgiving. Very sweet, while not being too sweet. Hides the alcohol extremely well compared to the smell and being a 10%. This would be a wonderful Thanksgiving or winter brew.

M- Medium mouthfeel, creamy and smoooth. LIGHTLY carbonated.

O- Wonderful beer, I would definitely try it again. It's one of those sweeter, fruitier beers I wouldn't normally try but my friend had a bottle and gave me a glass. I'm usually more into IIPA's and Stouts but this is really interesting. Definitely worth a try.

nrobaws, Oct 05, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Below is a previous review of a bottle version.

I'm not sure what to make of this beer. I wasn't aware this was a belgian strong, more of speciality. Given the alcohol by volume, it's surprising not hot. The malt however is a little intense and the maple flavor and character in particular are a little more intense than they need to be.

---

Agreed with the top assessment. This is really a beer for a specialty beer afficianado.

david18, Oct 04, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to sweemzander for bringing this one over.

(A) Pours a dark ruby, almost brown. Slight haze. Really nice beige head that leaves lacing.

(S) Smelled of molasses, dark fruits, maple syrup, sweetness, and you do pick up a bit of the yams. Smells very sweet.

(T) Just like the nose suggested, this beer is really sweet. There is a lot of maple syrup. The molasses and some of the sweet malts add to the sweetness of this brew. There is a bit of licorice that sticks around into the aftertaste.

(M) The carbonation is quite present and gives a slight bite. The beer is medium bodied and kind of chewy. Little bit of graininess to it.

(O) Fruit/Vegetable beer huh? It was really sweet and big on the syrups. The sweetness in the smell almost lead me to think it was almost had some wild ale aspect.

cjacobsen, Oct 04, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from he bottle into a tulip glass.

Very pleasant beer to look at, dark reddish brown with a finger or so or off white head that eventually fades to just a ring and a tiny whisp on top. Nice lacing throughout. Smell is nice and sour at first then the sweet vanilla maple and pumpin pie spices hit me. A bit like the smell of Pumking though more subdued and complex with the sourness. There is a lot going on in the taste of this beer, again very complex. Big bready sour funk up front followed quickly by those pumkin pie spices, can also really taste quite a bit of sweet potato at points but not always. All together it's something like thanksgiving dinner or a hearty fall breakfast. A lot of earthiness, could have sworn it tasted distinctly like collard greens at one point. Nice roasted/burnt/charred root vegetable in the aftertaste to go along with that earthiness. 10% alcohol is well hidden here. Again, very complex and enjoyable. A little thin and watery in the mouth but everything else here more than makes up for that in my opinion.

Overalll I really like this beer and found it very complex with quite a bit going on inside. Very good as an alternative to the standard pumpkin varieties you see around this time of year. Pick it up if you can still find it. Also says on the bottle you can cellar it for up to 5 years so I picked up another one to try next fall or the one after.

isitsavage, Oct 03, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -35%

I had high hopes for this beer, but that was not to be the case.

My first Bruery beer, and I don't think I will be buying this again next year.

Smell is clove, some yams, and just a tinge of alcohol. First sip was awkward. I didn't know what to think of it. Taste is of yams and spice, with a slight alcohol burn (to be expected at 10%). I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it.

As it warmed, I thought it would get better, but I was wrong. Slightly boozy, sweet, and yam tasting. Bitter finish. Moderate mouthfeel. Definitely not my cup of tea. I've never drain poured a beer, but I definitely thought about it, and struggled to get the last few gulps down.

I split this with a friend and he shared the same sentiments as me. I understand this is supposed to be an alternative take on a pumpkin beer, but nothing about this reminded me of pumpkin or pumpkin pie. It was more like my grandma's sweet potato marshmallow casserole that didn't turn out right.

I guess you either love it or hate it.

DoubleD89, Oct 02, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +31.3%

Just cracked this a couple days ago on the back deck on one of these beautiful early autumn nights with a friend. Cellared two years and I don't know if it has improved dramatically, but this was a beauty of a beer. Read about ten past user reviews and think they are downright nuts.

Although it is not truly a "pumpkin beer" - the yams fill in quite admirably here with regards to fall harvest vegetables. Unfiltered with a beautiful bright orange color - it is an unbelievably nuanced and balanced beer. Aroma, flavor, texture - everything just clicked. By far the best "pumpkin beer" I have ever tried - far outranked the Southern Tier Pumking, which was one of my favorites last year (yet has changed this release being remarkedly more vanilla flavored).

It does not look like Georgia will be getting any of this gem, at least from what I can tell from my vantage point. I have another couple Bruery selections in the cellar now for two years - Rugbrod will be next.

JackRose, Oct 02, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

A- Brew pours out about 2 1/2 fingers of light caramel head, drops down to a thin cap. The brew itself does remind me of the fall. It's got dark red and orange maple leaf highlights, little bit turbid. Evident carbonation, no lacing.

S- Caramel malt upon first whiff. Lots of spices, and definitely some yams. A tiny bit of syrup on the back end. Theres some pie crust in here too. Call me strange but I also get a hint of cloves, and a bit of a Belgian profile as well.

T- Whooooaaa yammy! Yams, yams, and more yams. Some mild spice tones, cinnamon, pepper, maybe some coriander. The yams seem to cal down as the beer warms. The maple is underlying everything, I'd prefer it more pronounced. A little bit of booze on the backend.

M- The mouth is medium in body, carbonation is in the aftertaste. The sweetness is teetering on cloying, making this one a sipper.

O- Ehhh don't think this is all my style. I was hoping for a lot more maple syrup, but the yams are a tad too much. Not so much a bad beer, but not a good one. I could see the variations being better perhaps, but I'll never her my hands on them.

haazer, Oct 01, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown in my snifter with a nice one finger cocoa colored head. Good carbonation and excellent lacing on this brew. No light escapes to the other side of the glass. Nose is really great for the style. Yams, nutmeg, cinnamon, maple syrup are the primary players in the smell. This beer is aptly named- it's not a pumpkin ale, but it smells like fall to me. Really well put together, and not overpowering. Unfortunately, the taste doesn't live up to the nose's promise. It's not as well put together, and tastes jump out at you and then disappear. It almost suffers from an identity crisis for me... None of the 10.5% ABV is noticeable at all. Mouthfeel is medium, w/ a light sugary aftertaste. OK, but I'd like it to have some more substance and character. A little too one dimensional. Overall, this is an interesting brew, but it's just not put together quite right. Still, I'm glad I had a chance to try it. Cheers.

jayhawk73, Sep 30, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

A - This beer pours a dark ruby red color that shows some orange highlights when held to the light. It has a nice 2-figner off white head on it. The head has good retention, and it leaves some scattered lace stuck to the glass.

S - It smells of caramel malt and maple syrup up front. There are also some scents of brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, breadiness, and a bit of fruitiness. There is also some booziness to it.

T - There are some nice spice flavors here, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, and some allspice, but unlike other common fall beers this isn't the main flavor focus. There is a nice sweet yam, maple syrup, and brown sugar flavor that is very nice. Also, there's some belgian yeast present. The finish leaves some lingering spice flavors on the palate. Also, for being 10% ABV the alcohol is hidden pretty darn well.

M - This has a medium mouthfeel and good carbonation. It goes down easy and the flavor is really nice. I thought the body was going to be a little more full than it is. There is some tingling on the tongue from the spices, and a bit of boozy warmth in the finish.

O - This has good drinkability. The flavor is nice, and I wouldn't mind having a few glasses in a night. This is definitely an interesting beer. I like that it takes a bit of a different turn than most other fall seasonals. I recommend giving it a try.

JizackFH, Sep 30, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

This has no business being classified as a fruit/veg beer. To me--this is an american version of your standard seasonal beer and the abv is amped up in order to cater to the latest fads. Its pretty well made--but I am not loving it right now as my first 'the Bruery' beer.

Brown on top-amber bottom and it is thick-colorwise.It smells extremely boozy and it is at 10% but I gotta say it is improving as it warms especially as a Fall seasonal. They just need to get this thing a little more contained and they could have a real classic.

rousee, Sep 28, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

750ml bottle Pincchios snifter. No bottle date but this is the fall 2011 version, from what I believe.

A: Pours a clear deep amber color. You can see through it. Faint half finger white head. Dissipates quickly. Some alcohol feet.

S: I get lots of nutmeg and clove notes. Definitely spicy. Sweet potatoes are there for the yammy stuff. Maybe some coriander scents too. Yeasty notes definitely there.

T: Obviously no hop character on this one. Drinking with a novice drinking partner that really enjoyed. Lots of spice notes: cinnamon and nutmeg and cardamon etc. The "yam" is really masked. I like sweet potato more than Pumpkin so maybe I am partial to these beer over other seasonals.

M: Medium bodied beer. Good mouth coating of the spices.

O: A rating on this one. Definitely a solid A on this one. Probably the best seasonal/pumpkin/yam beer I have had so far this year. Might actually end it with this one. Can't take anymore...

inlimbo77, Sep 27, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

828th Review on BA
Bottle to Bruery Tulip
750 ML
2011 Bottling

Served at recommended cellar temp

App- A medium brown with some amber, gold, orange and yellow highlights. A nice two finger head and very fast receding. Falls to 1/8” bubbles with no cling or lace.

Smell- Semi brash aromatics. Bold spices with a soft yam. A little maple breakfast sausage sweetness mixed in and a touch of cinnamon.

Taste- Big spicy notes open and a little vegetable tasting. The yam and bubbly yeast are mostly prevalent. The spices are layered in here but just a bit subdued.

Mouth- A lighter medium body with a medium bubbly carbonation level. A tri flavor residual flavor with the yam/yeast/maple.

Drink- This was a bit different from what I remembered and its pretty good. I remember some of these flavors before being over powering but this seems to have been mellowed for this bottling.

FosterJM, Sep 26, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

A-Pours a crimson edged dark brown color with half a finger of light brown sugar head.

S-Smells of candied yams, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice with some vanilla.

T-A sweet malt and perhaps yam foreground with a spice filled (see above), dry finish.

M-Rich, full bodied at first with low carbonation and a drying, light finish.

D-A little sweet at first, but the spice kind of balances out at the finish. A 12 oz. of this would be doable, but a full 750mL of this one is a little much to put down by yourself.

samie85, Sep 25, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Huge, rich, and sweet concoction. Tastes very yammy, now that you mention it. Hard to reconcile the candied yam flavor with something you're drinking in a beer glass. The sweetness is just so overpowering. Such intensity of flavor it's a little too close to cough syrup. Nice hazy orangey amber in the glass.

Fascinating flavor if you're keeping a life list of peculiar beer flavorings, but not very drinkable. For the right occasion it might be memorable, though. Out of the bottle at Bottlecraft in in Little Italy, San Diego.

mactrail, Sep 25, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

a vigorous pour among four glasses produced an intense three inch highly carbonated head. the pour released a wonderful autumn smell in my nose.

the yams and maple syrup are an interesting and complex combination that pleased the entire crowd. the belgian brown style adds to this complexity and makes it more lively the first day of autumn. the high carbonation gives this strong brew a great and deceiving bite.

as much as i like this brew i'm glad i had more than one friend to share it with because it may be a bit too for myself. now that i know this one i plan on buying it again so i can better mix it into a session. give this a shot, it may surprise you.

amidabha, Sep 24, 2011

Appearance: Slightly cloudy medium orangeish-brown color. Has a moderate light beige head that faded fairly quickly.

Smell: Baked yams and cinnamon/allspice notes. Also has some very faint yeasty notes

Taste: The baked yams and cinnamon/allspice notes in the nose come through in the taste. There is a slight hop bitterness lingering in the finish.

Mouth-feel: Medium-bodied with a moderate level of carbonation.

Overall: This was my go to Thanksgiving week beer, but this year since I have the Brett and Bourbon Bal-aged variants the regular version is serving as a good fall beer. A good take on a pumpkin beer.

IKR, Sep 23, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a snifter

A Pours a nice tan color with a tanish head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S I never thought I would say this about a beer, but the nose has a strong smell of yams, with a floral/herbal type note. Somehow works quite well though.

T Sweet with some spices coming out, especially nutmeg. There is also a yeasty note in there and a bit of vanilla. Very complex with lots of flavors yet quite odd.

M pleasant enough mouthfeel, quite thick and not over or underly carbonated.

Overall this is quite an odd beer but its pretty good. Tt is a different fall seasonal then the usual pumpkin beers and October fests. Well worth drinking and I think I will pick one up for thanksgiving.

beerandcycling88, Sep 23, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at burger. in Santa Cruz. Pours a rusty brown color with a creamy egg nog head. Aroma is full of spice and alcohol, dark fruits and pumpkin pie. A little solventy too. Flavor has plenty of garnet yams and brown sugar, some earthy notes, a slightly acetic tartness, pepper, cinnamon. Overall on the sweet side, but it would make a good digestif for sharing. Thick and sweet on the palate, with a light astringency that helps dry it out.

illidurit, Sep 22, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

Holy sh*t. These past couple of years, I've been a huge pumpkin beer fan. I went into New Beer in NYC and asked the owner what's a beer that's rare and going quick and he pointed me to this. Thank the LORD.

Pour is beautiful. The perfect amount of head, sustained, right into a tulip glass. Lacing is perfect, sustained streaks on the side of the glass.

Aroma - as advertised. Maple syrup, yam, autumnal spices...all mixed perfectly.

Full disclosure, I drank a Cigar City Good Gourd quickly after this so I may have killed some of the Bruery's flavors too soon. That said, I remember a perfectly balanced beer, the yam flavor mixed well with the sugar from the molasses. A perfect example of an autumnal beer, not too sweet, not too pumpkin-y. Could have many more of these.

MrELovesBeer, Sep 22, 2011
1.95/5  rDev -48.3%

750 split with my girlfriend.

Pours a muddy red, with a not so impressive tan head. It has a slightly see through body that looks like flat cherry coke. No legs left behind on my Darkness snifter at all.

Smell is of sweet, brown sugar coated, molasses. I pick up slight hints of Robitussin and cherries on the end.

Taste is sweet cough syrup with more sweet sugars added in.

I was expecting a semi full mouthfeel, but I was left with a stringy, water-like substance that was a struggle to get down.

Overall, I hated it. Enough said. You can't make a bad beer good by adding in more sugar. This is too one dimensional.

DearthVader, Sep 21, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Pours a very fall reddish brown color with a thin khaki head. Very cloudy, almost opaque in the glass.

S - As strange as it may sound my first thought was that it smelled like Tripel Karmeliet, a similar malty and herbal profile. As it warmed up a bit the yams came through along with some brown sugar. The 10.5% abv also makes itself known.

T - Molasses and yams are prevalent but not overwhelming. Some herbal flavors, some vanilla and maple syrup. Lots of subtle flavors co-mingling that work together nicely. Booze presence in the finish along with a slight tartness.

M - Medium bodied with light carbonation.

O - A solid if not spectacular fall beer and a nice change of pace from the pumpkin ales. It was interesting to taste the different flavor the yams brought to the table as compared to pumpkin.

SFC21, Sep 20, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow, this is one sweet beer. Maple syrup galore. I'm almost screaming "please turn sour!" come to find out they make this same beer with brettanomyces. I would love to get ahold of it.

It has thick and cloudy burnt orange color with an orangeish tan foam that clears away to a film. Leaves a few bubblies on the side of the glass.

Full bodied beer with tons of rich, toasty malts and gobs of sweetness. I'm thinkin' roasted candied yams, but to be honest, I can't taste actual yams much. It is a maple beer, but it is almost like beer-flavored maple syrup. Phenols are pretty good. Hops show up at the end, but are still pushed aside by the strong sugars and smoky malt aftertaste. Does a pretty good job of covering up the booze until you breathe out. I bet this would be awesome to eat with some sort of fried dessert. I'm also interested to taste one of these that has been cellared.

I rounded the mouthfeel up and the overall down.

musicman575, Sep 19, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Was excited to try this given the time of year and the fact I've never tried it before...keyword "was".

A: Pours a dark brown and ruby with a big bubbly deep almond colored head that disappears quickly and completely. No lacing.

S: Smell is an unusual dry earthy brown sugar aroma, hint of maple, alcohol. It's not very inviting. More sweet and dry/earthy than anything.

T&M: Sweet, sugary, not unlike some of Bruery's other offerings (BT anyone?). Lots of brown sugar, molasses, maybe a hint of maple syrup. Could hazard a guess there's nutmeg or clove in here, or both. Not sure, this seems to be a grab bag of spices. Too much that none of them stand out, and lend to the overall taste experience. Wouldn't have been able to guess there's yams in here either. This is mainly a very sweet carbonated syrup beverage. Speaking of carbonation, it's a little on the low side. Could be a bit less watery and a bit more bubbly.

O: I don't know. Bruery has some OK beers and some great beers but I haven't tried anything yet that has blown my mind. And more often than not, it's just a miss for me. This beer is not great. I'd say this is more an experiment and in early development stages than a complete final product. Maybe with some work they could make it good, but until then I will not be buying this again.

EDIT: This ended up being a drain pour :(

julian, Sep 18, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

Third time ive had this beer and still dont get it....why yams?!?!? oh well....

A- Deep brown with a red hue. Almost no retention on the beer, resides to a white ring around the edges.

S- Fall spices (cinnamon, Nutmeg, allspice, and of course yams)

T- Sweet with some sour like characteristics up front, then the spices kick in on the back-end, dominating the flavor profile from there on out. The sourness is kind strange, takes away from the spices, which are surprisingly balanced.

M- nice soft medium body that is quite slippery on the finish. Goes down pretty easy

O- strange beer, not really pumped on it. Could be really good but i dont think "its the right combination shit for a m***er to F***Ed up on"- Kat williams

Kshock, Sep 17, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

750ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a three finger tan colour head of nice cream lacing, good thickness, and great retention. Very alive and appealing. I can't wait to try it.

Sm: Hmm. Caramel, maple, esters, cream, and unexpected yeast. Oh, and malt. Scent is moderate in strength, but certainly pleasant - especially the biscuity yeast notes, which curtail the cream/maple well.

T: Maple certainly comes through, especially on the climax, and lingers through the finish - where it's joined by the nicely positioned caramel. It's yeasty from the midpoint, adding a biscuity note that works in the balance. Unfortunately, while the first half has cream, it consists of little else, as though all the flavour was saved for after the midpoint. Yams come through in the third act but only because I searched for them. Alcohol doesn't hit until it warms the stomach, so bravo on hiding it. This is a relatively complex beer that is well built but badly balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but a touch too thick, even considering the ABV.

Dr: It's priced decently in Southern California, and carries a hefty ABV but is very drinkable. As a strange take on a pumpkin beer, it works surprisingly well.

kojevergas, Sep 16, 2011