Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros
VaTechHopHead

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Color reminiscent of a brown or amber ale. Nice one finger off white head but fades rather quickly and leave average lacing. Very clear and a decent amount of visible carbonation.

S - Not as much yam aroma as I would have predicted but a very nice molasses smell. The spices are present but subtle and I don't get very much of the maple syrup.

T - Very high on the phenols for this beer with flavors of cinnamon and spicy cloves. The yams are a little more present but would nice to see them come forward a little more. The molasses and maple sugar add a nice sweetness to balance the tartness of the phenols but the two can really be distinguished. Finishes with a very tart/sour feeling leaving behind flavors of nutmeg, cinnamon, maple candy, and maybe some yam.

M/D - Solid medium body with tons of "small bubble" carbonation. Finishes dry and puckers the palate a lot. Decent flavor profile that kind of opens up as it warms keeps it interesting to drink. High ABV not tasted but the warmth can be felt.

Not the best beer The Bruery has ever made but it's a nice twist on an Autumn seasonal. I just wish the yam flavor would pop a little more because that is a very unique and seldom used ingredient in beers.

09-14-2010 00:41:56 | More by VaTechHopHead
Patrick999

2.6/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours amber, lighter than I expected. Good foam.

I like the aroma, it smells like sweet potato mash with cinnamon.

Well, OK. Not a lot of sweetness...some rotten maple syrup...seems overly bitter for the style. Alcohol, while not tasted, is extremely warming here. I'm not a fan. This should be sweeter, creamier, and around 7%.

Thin feel, which I would probably like if I thought the beer tasted better.

I was expecting something else. This is a big alcohol bomb with some maple and sweet potato flavors, but not enough to keep it interesting for me. Doesn't need to be 10%. At all.

09-12-2010 20:14:44 | More by Patrick999
Freshcraft

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

750ml/tulip - pours a beautiful dark amber red, with a generous 2inch off white head, which dissipates somewhat fast. nice lacing on this one, creeps down the glass. Aroma - Metallic, brown sugar, dirt. Tastes of sweet maple, mild spiciness, and dark fruits, very unique and hides the 10% abv amazingly. very smooth over the palate, 0 alcohol burn, very little carbonation, a nice sweet malty finish. Overall this beer is surprisingly light bodied and very drinkable. this could get dangerous....

09-12-2010 04:17:17 | More by Freshcraft
mavbrew

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Pours an amber brown with a two finger thick, off white head into my DFH snifter. The head leaves a nice lacing down the side of the glass, dissipates rather slowly.

S: A scent of alcohol is the most apparent to me, followed by some molasses, some spice and some maple.

T: Has a sweet and spicy taste up front, also some hints of alcohol as well. Finishes with some molasses and maple, kind of a dry finish as well. Very different taste overall.

M: Medium or medium heavy with a good amount of carbonation. A pretty thick feel overall.

D: This brew has a very boozy taste and is very sweet, therefore I couldn't see myself having more than one regardless of the 10.5% ABV. Overall this is a pretty good beer and I feel aging would do this beer very well.

09-07-2010 23:56:11 | More by mavbrew
jminsc76

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

As of this review on tap at Library Alehouse in Santa Monica.

Into a tulip, pours a light, brown-ish head that re-emerges big and thick upon agitation. The body is a dark amber, with lots of rapidly-rising bubbles dancing pretty as I tilt the glass.

The bouquet is yeasty, sweet, and spicy. Aromas of yams (of course) and other strong smells of various kinds. Not quite sure which but it's all is so intensely rich.

Flavors reflect much of what is in the aromas, with a sweetness from the brown sugar balancing well with the strength of the yams.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, slightly cloying, but exhibits an almost aloe vera-like smoothness to it.

Overall, I loves me some Autumn Maple, considering it's very similar to drinking a Trois Pistoles or Maudite but with a higher sugary content, and of course the spicy, yammy goodness present throughout. Very much a dessert beer that's rich in flavors, but, surprisingly I could drink at least two of these per session.

09-07-2010 06:00:47 | More by jminsc76
JLeege

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance- pours a deep brown, with some amber around the edges. Nice 3 finger head when poured into a La Fin tulip. Ok retention, no real lacing.

Smell- dark fruits, a bit of green apple, nutmeg, maple.

Taste- a lot of fruit up front, and a bit of spice on the finish (I am getting nutmeg and cinnamon). Some vanilla as well. Just enough yam to make themselves known. All with the maple syrup mingeling throughout. A very slight touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Medium. I thought it would be much thicker.

Overall- This is a well crafted brew, with alot of different flavors going on, but nothing ever over powering the next. Fairly boozy as it warms, it should mellow out with some aging.

09-07-2010 03:48:05 | More by JLeege
Ghenna

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours mahogany, with little head retention or lacing. Smells of maple and spice. Malty, almost apple-y flavor. Maple in the aftertaste. Taste is immediately a tempered malt sweet with what I would describe as pumpkin pie spice. The Maple flavor weaves itself in through the secondary part of the flavor profile, and sticks around till the end where both aspects are well balanced. Alcohol is not apparent until it warms up.

09-06-2010 02:24:32 | More by Ghenna
bluejacket74

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%

750 ml bottle. Served in a tulip, the beer pours a murky copper/brown color with some tints of ruby red, and has about an inch and a half tan head. Head retention is decent, but not much lacing at all. Aroma is molasses, yams, and sweet spices. It tastes mostly like spices, candied yams, and some molasses along with a little bit of maple. I do think this brew is spiced too much for my liking as the spices seem to overpower the other flavors. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit coating and has moderate carbonation. Drinkability is OK, it certainly goes down good enough. I think it's a solid beer, but I also thought I would like this one a lot more than I did. With that being said it's certainly worth a try, and I would try this again in the future.

09-04-2010 21:58:41 | More by bluejacket74
mdfb79

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 750ML bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a mahogany brown color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of spices, molasses, sweet fruit and maple syrup, dark fruit, figs, and a hint of alcohol.

t - Tastes of spices, dark fruit, molasses, maple, fruity malts, and sugar. Hints of alcohol again.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation.

d - An interesting beer I was glad to try. Some nice spices, maple, and fruit in the smell and taste. Would give another shot.

09-04-2010 00:01:18 | More by mdfb79
TheJollyHop

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

Musty, fruity, with hints of holiday spices, syrup, and herbal hops. Stewed apricots on the nose. Amber brown body with a deep tan head; strong alcohol nose on this one. I wouldn't have guessed yams, but on a fourth take I can pick it up.

A fruity pear entry, oily, medium bodied, with pronounced alcohol heat signaling the entry to the finish. Medium carbonation and decently balanced. Spicy hop flavor, a tad earthy, all starting with a Belgian candi-sugar entry. Sadly this beer is just too hot fresh as it noticeably hinders drinkability.

09-03-2010 14:34:45 | More by TheJollyHop
bamadog

Kentucky

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Picked a bottle of this up the other day and figured that since I'm mostly taking the day off tomorrow, I was going to celebrate with it while I watch the first games of the college football season. Review is from notes taken on 9/2/2010 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is a cloudy cidery brown with some hints of ruby; starts with a big two finger light tan head that fades slowly to a thin, full and even cap that lingers throughout the drink with a pretty thick and foamy ring around the surface; body is cloudy and murky and mostly opaque with the only translucence at the edges; loose and oily spots and swaths of lacing slide back into the beer with only a couple hanging around the sides of the glass.

Smell: The dark and sweet fruitiness just pops out of the glass and into the nose -- raisins and figs abound; definite boozines comes in next and a strong dose of the standard Belgian spiciness. Very enticing and makes my mouth water just waiting to dive into this one.

Taste: Just really freaking good -- the sweet and dark rains and figs dominate and take the lead right up front along with the strong spiciness and alcohol; as it slides around the mouth, the presence of maple and chocolate/molasses makes an appearance that is welcome; really a robust and tasty offering that is hitting the spot.

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight and borders on medium-heavy; thick and oily in the mouth; carbonation is smooth and soft and really compliments the heavier body; an especially thick and moist coating is left on the roof of the mouth; belly is left quite warm from the higher ABV.

Drinkability: While this may look a little lower compared to the rest of the numbers, I assure you it's only because of the higher ABV -- this is really an outstanding beer and I'll be picking up one to age.

09-03-2010 02:41:57 | More by bamadog
fear025

4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

Aroma:Boozy with dark fruit and molasses.

Appearance:Light brown with amber highlights. It's got a nice amount of head with good retention.

Taste:This beer has a deep rich sweet flavor. There's a little cider, molasses, also some spices (coriander and cinnamon).

Mouthfeel:Medium to thick body with good carbonation.

Drinkability:This makes a great dessert beer with very complex flavors.

09-02-2010 05:13:39 | More by fear025
TKEbeerman

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into my Duvel tulip, this brew pours more of a ruby red, with brown highlights then anything else. For it's body, the head is tanner then what I would expect, is pretty thick, and carbonation seems tight.

S: The aroma is that of candy yams, and the yeasty Belgium spices you would expect in a Trappist brew. The maple and molasses add a sweetness to the aroma.

T: The flavor follows suit, sweet candy yams, with a small alcohol burn on the finish. This brew could be much more complex then it's drinking. I expect more spices and yeasty notes. As far as molasses and maple syrup goes, they aren't present much at all, but maybe that was The Bruery's plans all along.

MF/D: The mouthfeel is average....probably lower. This beer needs to beef up it's volume. The drink is a little above average for it's ABV.

Overall, this brew says its a Belgium Brown Ale, BA classifies it as a BSDA, but I'm saying this brew happens to look and drink like a Belgium Dubbel. With a more hefty mouth feel,I'd definitely bump up the scores.

08-31-2010 22:58:47 | More by TKEbeerman
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle, thanks to HogtownHarry. Aroma of maple, wood, yams and cinnamon. Similar to whiskey. Flavor is wood, molasses, somewhat tart, with a maple finish . Palate is creamy with lively carbonation. Very flavourfull and aromatic but could they could be more integrated. Still interesting, enjoyable and unique.

08-31-2010 16:55:05 | More by Luk13
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

Fresh off the delivery truck. My first fall seasonal this year.

Bottle poured into my duvel tulip.

A: dark cinnamon brown, huge three fingers of very light beige head, modest soapy lace

S: solid dose of spices, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, sweet dark malts and plenty of boozy kick

T: Similar to the nose, lot of dry spice, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, yams don't really come into play until the beer has left my mouth the after taste is all yams, tons of alcohol in every sip

M: medium creamy body, modest carbonation

D: this is definitley a sipper, the ABV makes this a bottle to share for sure. I'm glad I split this one with the little lady

I simply wanted to love this beer. Sadly it will probably never be bought by me again.

08-29-2010 04:07:58 | More by beerwolf77
LordAdmNelson

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%

I liked this beer, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Poured a ruddy dark brown with some tan head that receded quickly. Nose is good, can definitely pull out the yams, the spice, and some darker malt. Like a rye pumpkin bread if that makes any sense? The taste follows through with similar notes, but also with an accompanying sweetness from the molasses. Belgian yeast notes are apparent as well. Mouthfeel could use a little less carbonation and a little more body, IMO. A good sipper, definitely reminiscent of fall. Not a bad beer, thought it was a steal for $7.

08-28-2010 22:52:21 | More by LordAdmNelson
unclejimbay

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

Bruery Review, we performed a comprehensive sampling of Bruery beers with a group of NE FLA BAs courtesy of CampusCrew and Troywittaker on 8/13/2010. Cheers this was a great sampling and evening guys!
I reviewed all brews we tasted in order of sampling, info, and some minor notes for my future homebrew reference. These reviews are to serve as a comprehensive review of the beers as purchased during 2010, sampled 8/13/2010 with about a group of 8 tasters.

This was the order of sampling...

Saison Rue, 8.5% abv

2 Turtle Doves, 12% abv

Coton (2010 Anniversary Beer) 14.5%

RUGBROD, 8% abv

Autumn Maple, 10% abv
Belgian brown Ale brewed with yams, molasses, maple syrup and spices.
"We don't need pumpkins in our beer..."
Enjoyable dark molasses inspired brew, big and bold and "oh so yammy, brown ale for a cold autumn night".
I found this most delicious as a beer to enjoyed in the fall as a an alternative to pumpkin brews which I do not enjoy. Nice dark caramel and molasses notes with a well done mild dash of spice. This molasses fwd brown ale with a dash of Thanksgiving spice.

08-27-2010 18:07:21 | More by unclejimbay
CampusCrew

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

I hosted a Bruery tasting and we had 9 of the bottles collected. we had 4-6 oz samples. I'm reviewing these on memory from a few nights ago.

Nice beer. poured a dark brown, not black. Nice head retention. No overly sweet and good use of maple. We paired this with some Leige waffles with chocolate drizzle. Very good belgian strong dark ale.

08-23-2010 14:41:22 | More by CampusCrew
endincolorado

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a hazy, red-amber with a nice, cream-colored head that settles slowly and some good lace.

Smells nice and crisp with some fruitiness and a little spice. Some yam-like sweetness in back.

Flavor is very tasty, with some nice, roasty malt, spice and an odd fruitiness. Definitely unique. Yams are noticeable. Some interesting flavor lingers.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

An excellent beer for the season. Would go great with thanksgiving.

08-23-2010 00:36:29 | More by endincolorado
StephenRich

Ontario (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

Proof that the small guys go it best, The Bruery, a small craft brewery in Orange County California which just brought home two gold medals at the World Beer Cup. In the Belgian-Style Flanders/Oud Bruin category their Flemish Style Red Ale Aged in Oak Barrels, the Oud Tart took home the gold. Also in the Experimental Beer category their Autumn Maple brewed with 100% Brettanomyces yeast (a very volatile wild yeast) took home the second gold.

The Bruery focuses on creating richly flavored beers that are unfiltered, never pasteurized, and completely bottle conditioned without additional carbonation added. They are also not shy about experimenting with using exciting ingredients in their beers, a perfect example being Their Autumn Maple; it is brewed with yams, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses and maple syrup. This really is the stuff that dreams are made of. At least mine are... Is that weird?

This was the first of the Bruery beers that I had tried, so I was plenty excited. It comes in a wine shaped 750 ml bottle branded with 10.5% abv on the side. I let it warm up to cellar temperature around 12C (54F) as would be appropriate for a rich brown ale of this magnitude, and poured it into two large large snifters; for my mate and I.

As I poured it, before I could consider the color, aromas ripped out of the glass at me. It was warm spice and rich deep dark caramel and malt which found its way quickly to my nose. Getting closer into the beer, the nose reveals cloves, cinnamon, molasses, caramel and pale malts, sweet egg bread, biscuit, light wood and hints of alcohol.

The beer though, sitting gently in my snifter was very pretty; it has raised a nice pillowy and fluffy two inch head showing significant density and a creamy egg shell color. It has reasonably strong retention, but slowly fades to a heavy lacing on the surface of the beer, which itself was sublime. I was very happy it was not pitch dark, and it does show fantastic browns, amber orange, glimmers of ruby red, gold, and copper with hues of ivory black streaming through it. From the sight and smell it seems to enjoy significant complexity - but my favorite test was yet to come.

The flavor of course is what I was excited for, and it did not disappoint. First rich caramel, pale and dark malt flavors all make their way gently across your tongue in a recognizable fashion paving the way for the more unique experiences to follow. Soft roasted yam flesh and pumpkin glides in caressing your palate gently bringing with is spices to the edged of your mouth. The clove and cinnamon found in the nose tickle and tease your taste buds as bigger meatier flavors relax deep in your palate.

Bready biscuit malts, caramel and maple sweetness along with soft vanilla and a hint of earthy funk rest deep in the beer. Molasses makes its way in at the end, and more spice and Belgian yeast notes. The beer benefits very well from the bottle conditioning; the body is full but very soothing with soft and delicate carbonation. It really flows gently over your palate but is aggressive enough to make itself known.

The alcohol is perfectly hidden among the balance of sweet and savory favors. Hops are not very apparent, but the sweet flavors are all more on the savory side of things. Overall it creates a very appetizing beer which was a pleasure to enjoy. The finish was warm and smooth, lingering slightly, but encouraging me to go back for more. I loved the spice, and love the brown caramelized flavors of yams, maple syrup and luscious malts.

I would bet that this will also age well in the cellar, but probably only for a couple years. Its balance and spice makes it perfect for food pairings. Try roasted chicken or turkey, cheese plates, tomato pastas, shrimp, and BBQ.

08-23-2010 00:28:06 | More by StephenRich
aubuc1

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

750 ml bottle poured in to a goblet.

Pours a dark brown with a thick light brownish white head.

Smell is nutty, sweet, and esthery.

Very distinct, food like taste. Can taste syrup and molasses.

Mouthfeel is good.

High alcohol is very well masked.

Interesting beer that really is different than others.

08-22-2010 21:32:51 | More by aubuc1
Proteus93

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

A review archived in my phone, almost a year old now, but leaving me eager for a new batch of this.

The Bruery Autumn Maple

A: Tea coloured, a hazy brown, certainly unfiltered. Head forms nicely, though maybe it recedes just a slight bit quickly. Spotty lacing left behind.

S: This smells like the Thanksgiving season. The aromas of yams are quite notable, with warm scents of nutmeg and cinnamon complement it nicely. Molasses add a nice touch, smooth and somewhat mellow... Strangely, the maple is not something I really detect all that strongly. Nonetheless, it smells awesome. As it warms, maple comes through much more.

T: Sweet and spicy, full of yam flavour. Sugary sweetness of maple syrup adds a great touch here. It's certainly "bold and spicy," as the bottle claims... It's a nice dessert beer or brew to imbibe in over a chilly evening. The Belgian yeast strain adds a unique quality, slightly fruity, which works well with the other flavours. Excellent.

M: I might have expected a beer like this to be sticky, leaving a gooey residue over the palate. That's not the case... It has a very assertive carbonation, chewy and rich body, followed by a dry finish. In the sense of mouthfeel, it might just be perfect.

D: This is a damn fine beer, well balanced, bold, and bursting with complex flavours which are perfect for the season. The only thing that MIGHT hold it back is the very seasonal nature of it. To me, it's a Thanksgiving beer and anything beyond that wouldn't be quite right.

08-14-2010 20:04:19 | More by Proteus93
womencantsail

On-tap at the Bruery

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a mild off-white/khaki colored head.

S: The nose is sweet and spiced, a nice combination actually. I pick up the array of spices used along with a really pleasant sweetness, but not so much the yams. Lots of nutmeg, brown sugar, and maybe a touch of maple.

T: Though I did not notice them on the nose, I get quite a bit of yam flavor (which is nice because I often don't get pumpkin in pumpkin beers). Again, the nutmeg and brown sugar are strong and provide a really nice flavor. A nice bready flavor, almost of rye bread, actually.

M: The body is medium with a low to moderate carbonation, even on tap.

D: This is a really nice beer to enjoy a glass of when it starts getting a little cooler out (though that won't happen for some time here in Southern California). I always look forward to this beer.

08-09-2010 02:14:54 | More by womencantsail
jsanford

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Part of an Epic Bruery tasting night, poured into a Unibroue tulip on 6/6/10.

A - Ruddy orange-brown with a huge creamy tan head.

S - Cinnamon and nutmeg, obvious notes of sweet potato and brown sugar. Slightly funky yeast.

T - Definitely follows the nose. Perfectly captures Fall in a bottle, can't help but picture falling leaves and roast turkeys.

M - Medium bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. Gets a bit boozy towards the end, but overall it's a pleasant experience.

D - Decent. A really nice brew that I can take in small servings, but it's not my favorite style. I'm gonna give it a few extra points, though, because this is my girlfriends favorite beer, she can (and has) easily put an entire bottle away by her lonesome. Thanks, Bruery ;)

06-27-2010 16:41:54 | More by jsanford
Haybeerman

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Ruddy, reddish-brown color. Poured a 3 finger tan head that dissipated to a half0finger. Broken rings of lace wahsed part way down the glass

S: Cinnamon and clove. Earthy molassas and maple in the foundation. Mild wild yeast.

T: Consistent with smell with a fairly sharp tartness; fruit and slightly wild yeast. Plenty of flavor, but finish is short and sharp.

M: Medium body. Low carbonation. Coating and sticky. Warming alcohol, but below its 10.5% throw-weight.

D: Flavorful and interesting. Strange balance that took me all the way to the finish.

06-16-2010 18:50:50 | More by Haybeerman