Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Got a couple bottles at Whole Foods while picking up a bottle of Marshal Zhukov. This pours a brilliant copper color with about a one-finger crown. This wreaks of autumn. You could damn near let this sit out and use it as potpourri. It's easy to take in the hints of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, vanilla, and so many other subtly nuanced spices. The taste is very unique. You definitely get the yams. However, it has a very strong clove presence...the same way every beer on earth that's brewed with Belgian yeast has that trademark taste/smell to it. This had a nice mouthfeel to it. Nothing about it was long lasting or lingering except a bit of the clove again. Over all, this was nice. I have one bottle left and plan on hanging on to it until I can see my breath outside. Then it'll be perfect.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Transcribed from my notebook.

Looks reddish brown with a minimal sudsy white head, little to no lacing. Mouthfeel is fine with the carbonation but suffers somewhat from an excess of boozey hotness that dries everything out in my mouth somewhat too much for my taste. The nose absolutely reeks of cloying yams, maple sap, and pumpkin pie spicing....I am shocked to report that this is the first time I have ever experienced a desire for a de-amplification of the nose in my entire beer-tasting experience. Its a great combo of smells which work together well, but the levels are set so high as to be annoying. Tastes like maple syrup at first, but evolves into MEGA sweet potato pie with a boozey alcohol burn to it. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I can see how it would appeal to others. It just....crams *way* too much yam flavor and scent into my head, when I'm only a lukewarm fan of yams and sweet potatoes. If you go crazy for sweet potatoes, than this beer will be right up your alley.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pours a medium red/light brown with minimal white head that goes away quickly

S: Lots of brown sugar, spices, a touch of maple syrup, and what might be the yams. However, there's something sour to the smell I'm not liking. Not sure if it's a tart berry smell, or funk or whatever, but I don't like a sour smell in spiced beers.

T: The taste is much better. It starts off as a rich, sweet, almost syrupy kind of maple/cinnamon/brown sugar flavor, then moves into a tart sort of cider, with fresh, crisp apple flavors in the middle, but finishes with an earthy sweetness that I could only describe as a sweet potatoesque finish.

O: This is a good one, but I'm sure there are better autumn seasonals than this out there. Still, not a bad brew.

3.43/5  rDev -9%

a: thick golden/amber hue with slight head. good carbonation forming the head and these look like firm bubbles. little lacing.

s: clove, nutmeg, vanilla, generic spice. Smells like pumkin to me. Expected a bigger yeasty pie crust smell but didn't get it. sweet malts of maple and honey round out the nose.

t: definitely not pumpking. tastes like sweet potatoes all the way, which is what they use. The taste of the yams only creeps at the end and rounds out the aftertaste. There is a whole heck of a lot of spice in here. spices follow the nose, not too strong but there is quite the variety. A bit messy and slight booze makes the spice profile just so-so. A bit uneven. Nice sweetness after the spice, though.

m: good carbonation, crisp. Medium in body.

o: as advertised. Too much spice for me. The booze mixes well with the yam flavor, but not so much the spice. The malty maple sweetness saves this at the end and the unique aftertaste of yam provides a nice treat.

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep mahogany brown with ruby hues, half of a finger off white head that fades quickly and leaves nothing behind with no lacing.

Aroma of sweet molasses, maple syrup and yeast.

Taste is initially sweet with brown sugar, molasses , yams and ends with a spice , yeast and an earthiness flavor.

Mouthfeel was medium leaning light body with very llight carbonation, creamy smooth and a slight alcohol warming from the 10.5%.

Overall this is a nice fruit/ vegetable beer, probably better enjoyed in the crisp fall weather, I would prefer a good pumpkin beer over this, however, it is a solid beer.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from the 750 mL bomber into my Russian River pint glass.

A - Pours a deep amber/red color with a fingers worth of off-white head, which quickly fades to a very light coating at the top of the glass. Looks like a cross between a fruit beer and brown ale.

S - Nose is very faint. Not a potent scent at all. Dominant smell is nutty, with the spices coming through more potently than anything else. Reminds me of the fall. Though not very potent, the scent that is present is very pleasant and balanced.

T - Taste is pretty boozy. The harsh alcohol is followed by a very spicy maple taste, which is backed by the nutty flavor of a more typical brown ale. Normally I don't mind a harsh alcohol taste, but in this one it's just a bit too much. It is difficult to get past this and into the other flavors. I do pick up a bit of dark fruit as well. Probably should have let this one sit for a couple years.

*Note - Once I poured the bottom of the bottle, there seemed to be a much better balance to the beer. Perhaps I would have been better off swirling as I poured.

M - Consistent with the boozy taste, this one burns quite a bit in the mouth. As mentioned before, I normally don't mind some burn, but this is a bit over the top.

O - Overall a pretty big disappointment for me. I will revisit this one when I can let a bottle sit for a couple years and see if the extra age on it helps mellow out the boozy bite.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

750 ml split with Klym and SundaySour over the weekend.

An attempted "proper pour" into Lost Abbey tulips.

A: Mahogany with some rich shades of cherry and plum. Different colorings come through in the spectrum of deep dark tree saps. A beer that visibly has maple syrup in it. Big ups on the visual. A little bit of heady froth sticks modestly sticks to the glass.

S: Sweet caramelized yams, a really light mixed breakfast smell. A combination of French toast, maple syrup, and other continental fair into one liquid emulsion. Quite a nose-full, I could wake up to this.

T: Sweet potato pie, lightly roasted pecans. The lightest maple sugar finishes out the dough in the pie crust. Lingering taste of spiced sweet potato chips blended with a mild Belgian yeast to create a Frankenstein recipe of sweet potato fries. However, this is not too sweet at all, really quite savory. Beets make a sugary appearance in the background.

M: A light/medium body that dries to create patches of cotton mouth. Really matches the flavor to create a uniquely crisp finish. This is really unexpected, and I had to really dwell on the mouth to pick this out. This is really the secret sauce to the success of this beer. The worker behind the scenes that sensitizes the taste buds to the light flavors of fall.

O: Just a really solid alternative fall beer. A front runner for a breakfast/brunch brew. The savory over sweet aspects make this a thanksgiving master pairing. Let grandma take a swig. But watch that ABV, and don't let her drive. She'll thank you for it, but she might also ask for a fresher bottle for comparison. I can't help but agree with her. As good as this is, maybe it's even better fresh.

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Another share with Cavery. Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

A: Dark cherry with a thin off-white head and medicore but present lacing. Some great about the appearance and some mediocre, coming out into just 'good'.

S: Maple, bacon, and pepper all in the nose. I certainly wasn't expecting the bacon but on it came, and a very high quality bacon at that. I feel like I'm missing some things but not sure what.

T: Wow, an autumn breakfast mix in the mouth. Maple, bacon, brioche, and jalapeno all in the taste. Belgian yeast is very well hidden. Really high quality flavor; stout flavors rolled into a belgian ale.

M: Solid mouthfeel, not much to say about it.

O: Really interesting and fantastic beer. I would love to have this again and try it either aged or fresh, not being sure which one would do better by it. The flavors in this are really distinct, creative, and interesting. I can't not recommend this beer to everyone.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bottle from 2009 poured into a Delirium tulip

Pours a thick reddish brown with a few bubbles that immediately fade to almost nothing, maybe a few spots left no matter how I swirl or shake the glass.

Smells like sweet potatoes, yams, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie all as promised.

Tastes follow suit with some candied fruit, maple syrup, and light coconut. An almost prune juice feel with some cinnamon spice on the end.

Mouthfeel is a but thin for what I expected. I can't remember if it's like this fresher or not.

Overall is good but for what it's comparing to on the bottle I personally do prefer pumpkin beers (DFH-Southern Tier). Although maybe this is just a whole different kind of beer.

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a very pretty cloudy amber, with a quickly disappearing off-white head. Minimal sweet and spicy smell (although the minimal part might be my allergy nose), couldn't pick out any of the specific spices. Lots of malty sweet potato flavor with clear cinnamon and nutmeg. Carbonation is pretty overpowering, needed to wait for that to settle down before tasting each sip.

I like this and would drink it again, probably won't seek it out, at least until next fall.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle. Pours a slightly cloudy copper amber color with a nice white head. Sweet aroma with a mix of caramel, spice, and pumpkin. Medium mouthfeel. Sweet and a little tart partnered with spice. Caramel and some apple as well. Not bad. Overall, I was surprised at how well I liked this beer. The spice works well with the malty backbone.

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

After 2 rotten bottles (store mishandling?) I finally tracked down a decent bottle. Poured into a snifter after a half hour in the fridge.

A - Very clear dark amber, with a head that dissipates fairly quickly. Almost looks like a cognac or hard liquor sitting in my snifter.

S - Sweet potatoes, brown sugar, spices, and alcohol. The Belgian yeast and yams really give this an earthy aroma as well.

T - I'm not a huge fan of the flavors here. Huge sweet potatoes and malt. Theres some spices and darker flavors as well. Caramel, brown sugar, cinnamon, and some weird funkiness from the yeast. Light on the alcohol.

M - Fairly thin and light. Its a bit too carbonated for the style as well. Flavors fade way too quickly.

O - I love pumpkin/spice beers so I've been after this one for a while. Its pretty unique since it does use yams over the usual pumpkin, but I wasn't feeling this one. DFH Punkin Ale has really set the bar for me, but I'll give this another shot in the fall when its fresh.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

750mL poured in my Goose Island Chalice. 4/28/11

A- Aumber in color, off-white to light caramel head about 1 1/2 fingers thick. Disapates quickly, a little lacing, but thin on the retracting.

S- Caramel and toffee notes, Belgian yeast, baking spices, definitely some maple syrup w/sweetness.

T- Caramel malts, maple syrup, subtle yams, watered-down molasses which work in a good way for me, nutmeg, cinnamon, Belgian yeast, candied orange peel. This beer works for me. Just a little thin.

M- A little thin on the mouthfeel, but smooth.

Overall- I like this beer. I wish the finish was a little longer. I could see myself sipping on this while the leaves change in my favorite month of October!

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a dark cherry color, tinting towards brown with a three finger offtan head. The head fades pretty quickly and leaves a little lacing. The color of this is fabulous, very aesthetically pleasing

S- the spice is very prevalent, getting a decent bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. The yams come out pretty well too. Not as strong of a smell as something like a Dogfish Punkin, but good nevertheless

T- it tastes like fall, which is the major purpose of this beer. It's a little sweet because of the combination of the yams, molasses, and the spices. Could be a little much

M- for a 10% beer, it's not really that thick. Kind of thin, actually. Might be good that it's not thicker with how powerful the flavors are

O- pumpkinish beers aren't my favorite, and though this isn't a pumpkin beer, it's got a lot of the same flavors as one. It's not bad, just really powerful

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Transcribed from our video review from 11/2010, split with Nick and Jacob. 750 ml bottle.

A: Haze chilled and cloudy, body is a dark copper with some rustic maroon hues around the edges in light. Small and supple off-white head, splotchy lacing, pretty typical but a nice looking beer.

S: Up-front notes of a Belgian yeast-like character, some yams come through on the nose but not as much as I was expecting. Overall the nose seems extremely muted though our glassware could be to blame for this. Not overly impressed here.

T: Obvious sweetness, probably due to the maple syrup and yams, though the yams don't seem to impart any flavor whatsoever into the taste. For being so heavily advertised on the label, it's disappointing to not see them really come through. It is a good tasting beer, akin towards a Brown Ale, and some dry cinnamon powder comes through in the finish.

M: Medium, almost full, bodied beer with tamed carbonation.

A really nice beer for the fall, something to warm you up, and fill with flavors of the holiday season. If I could stock a bottle of this year-round, I definitely would. One of my favorites from The Bruery so far.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured on 4/1/11 into a cigar city snifter

Pours a dark reddish amber with a huge fizzy head that dissipates to no lacing on the glass.

Smells of maple and malt. Tons of spices, molasses, maple, and earthy hits.

Taste is the same. Lots of smooth malt and spices. Maple and other tastes come through but this beer is not great by any standard.

Over all is medium. Not a great beer and high ABV makes for an Oscar Blues substitute.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Vintage 09 on tap at Tap & Table. I had this from a bottle once before and it's better this time around. The color is a really nice autumn brown and very clear. From the bottle it was cloudy and brown kinda muddy. The spices are really well done in this beer the usuage of yams in the batch is great idea as well. It's slightly sweet but mostly spiced. This beer is awesome for the thanksgiving season! Definitely try it.

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours out a fall color that works anywhere between Halloween and Thanksgiving (dark orange and brown for all yall who live somewhere where there is no 'fall' season). Aroma fits as well, sweet, dark sugar, cinnamon (lesser).

Taste, a nice spin on pumpkin beers, this one is all yam. Well not all, but substantially. Covers the alcohol heat very well, would have guessed 7%, not 10.5%. Never feels like a malt bomb, even though a hop presence is not discernable. Some nutty presence to it. Viscosity was slightly sludgy for style, thought it was kinda cool. Hope this one is a frequent seasonal.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks goes out to G311 for this brew.

750ml

Poured into a chalice a nice reddish color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy/creamy light tan head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, slight yeast note, very slight tang, cherries. The taste is malty, alittle yeasty, sweet, cherries. Medium Body. Drinkable, a nice brew, glad to finally get a chance to try it.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

I've had this one for quite some time now and seeing as how my new Bruery tulip just showed up a few days ago, I thought I'd christen it with this brew...

This has more Belgian Strong Dark aromas coming off it than anything else... Loads of yeast and sugars... hints of the sweet potatoes for sure as well along with the usual suspects of cinnamon and nutmeg... Unusual but not particularly exciting...

Again, I get more Belgian than anything.... It's pretty tasty but there's something just not put together right here... I'm getting the yams but the spice ratios don't seem right to me.. At least that's what I'm getting... Others seem to disagree with me which is OK too...

Fairly average really to me... One of the main brews I traded for and at least I know now what it's all about...

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Pours a murky brown with two fingers of beige head that fades into a frothy ring and leaves a little lacing.

S: Nutmeg, pumpkin, and yams dominate the nose. Smells similar to many pumpkin ales, but with the emphasis more on the pumpkin and sweet potatoes than the spices that normally go with them.

T: Similar to the taste, pumpkin and sweet potato flavors dominate this beer with a touch of nutmeg. The finish has a light bready bitterness and some warm alcohol notes.

M: Medium-thick body and medium carbonation, this beer is thick and fairly creamy. The carbonation provides a bit of a bite to go with the bready flavors and it's surprisingly not too sweet.

O: Overall, a good beer and definitely better than most fruit/veggie beers. I'd almost consider it more of an imperial pumpkin ale and it's better than most of those as well. Not too sweet or overloaded with spices, this beer is filling and goes down easily.

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

750 ml bottle into cervoise

This beer pours an amber brown with decent head. The head stuck around for about half of the party but left its drunk friend, lacing, around a while longer. This beer smells and tastes like a kaleidoscope of spices from my pantry. First off, the predominant smell and taste is freakin' yams, no surprise there. Very strong. You can pick up the Belgian yeast more in the nose than the flavour but that is because of the veritable cluster...party...of spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, lots of brown sugar and molasses. It might be me but I didn't pick up too much of the maple, and I know everything about maple syrup, maple leaves, maple trees, etc... This was an easy enough beer to drink, not too hard, slight alcohol burning. I am pretty sure if you drank more than one though, you'd turn into a drunk turkey. I'd give it a go again, but with a side of cranberry sauce.

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

Picked up during a sally into Packer-land, as little across the border as I could get. Glad to see they've picked up The Bruery, I've grabbed a few of them now; they've been hit & miss for me. What do I hold now? Triple? Or a whiff? Split in twain with my wife.

Pour is a striking, pin-up quality auburn; I should mention the last few ounces remain in the heavy bottle. Smell shouts of cinnamon & allspice, one of the few times I could pick out individual spices without resorting to the label; yowza. Maple comes in underneath. Not much hint of anything beer-related, interestingly.

Autumn Maple should be renamed Autumn Yams. Holy rabbit pellets. I am going to pause for a word from our sponsor, & to pick my taste buds out of the soles of my feet. Sheeeeiite. OK, OK, ready for another sip now. Well, I think I've learned something tonight: I'm not terribly fond of yams. Actually, I've never had them, but that has to be the roughshod vegetable taste in this brew. The under-ingredients leaven it & save it somewhat. The cinnamon & allspice come through again, along with less specific spices. The maple arrives late, & only faintly. Earthiness, nuttiness slip in & out. Yams seize control again on the backside.

Like a few of the beers from the Bruery I haven't enjoyed, this one is also carbonated with the aggressiveness of a bull-fighter. Slap-happy in the mouth, which is a bit at odds with a cold-weather sipper. Surprisingly drinkable for what it is.

Which is a circus-show. Put up a tent, watch the trapeze artists, guzzle some Autumn Maple! Seriously strange. Not good, but certainly not bad; points for boldness, at least. I'm going to call it decent, but no single adjective, verb, interjection, or gerund could possible describe it.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Pours a dark amber with garnet highlights. The head is minimal, white, and recedes quickly.

S: A sweet and earthy aroma of dark fruits, maple syrup, sweet potatoes, spices (clove, cinnamon, allspice), vanilla, brown sugar, & molasses. The Belgian yeast makes some presents in the nose, but it's small.

T: Taste like Thanksgiving and follows the nose very well. Again, flavors are dark fruits, spices, vanilla, brown sugar, Belgian yeast, & molasses. There are definitely some caramel malts that give this a nice backbone and the sweet potatoes and maple syrup give it a pleasant sweetness in the middle. No alcohol in the flavor.

M: Medium-full body, decent amount of carbonation, & nice, smooth, syrupy texture.

D: Served this at dinner when I roasted a turkey and what-not (no it wasn't Thanksgiving). It went extremely well with the meal and could easily have 2-3 bottles of this in one night. Great for the fall or any "feast" like meal. Highly recommend.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

I had this on Thanksgiving 2010 but I just found my 'notes' on it today (2/20/11).

750ml bottle served in a wine glass.

L - murky, mahogany color with a thin beige head that left a spot or two of lacing.

S - earthy spiced aroma.

T - sweet, spiced taste from start to the somewhat yeasty, dry finish.

F - medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - it was ok for what I consider a 'novelty beer'.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery