Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros
4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours reddish brown with a slight head on top. Minimal lacing.

S - Smells of fresh maple syrup, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Scent of a perfect Thanksgiving beer.

T - Taste is sweet with notes of pumpkin spices and maple flavor. The sweetness takes the form of molasses; rich and very sweet.

M - For a high ABV this is masked well. Extremely drinkable. Feels medium bodied, and is easy to have a second with food. The sweetness made this a great appetizer beer.

O - A fun fall beer that is a good change of pace from all the pumpkin beers. Would like to keep a bottle for the holidays.

3.17/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a deep brownish-red, pink highlights. 1-finger beige head quickly forms to a thin ring, no lace.

Smell is a bit odd but intriguing, dark fruit, dark bread, some spice and tartness...only a hint of what's to come.

Taste has alot more to it, but is quite bizarre... dark fruit, licorice, tons of fall and winter spice, potpourri, a bit of funky tartness, medicinal notes. Not really my cup of tea but the complexity/oddness kept me sipping.

Oily mouthfeel, high carbonation, some booze but felt lower than 10.5%.

I can appreciate this for it's originality, I've never had a beer quite like this. But this is pretty wacky, and overspiced in my opinion.

3.77/5  rDev 0%

A- A hazy brown redish haze of a beer. I guess it looks like brown or a pumpkin, there is almost no head.

S- I smell maple, hints not nutmeg, even smaller amount of allspice. I get some Belgium yeast in this. I know that this has a better aroma, or I hope it does. I'm going to let this warm up and see if it reviews. The real disappointment is how strong the aroma is not.

T- Lots of molasses, thick and sweep yams coats the tongue. Once the beer is gone, a buttery sweet maple taste coats the tongue. Savory but still very sweet from the imperial brown malt background. I think I would like to have something to off set the sweetness, almost a salty or bitter or burn to it. I'm thinking of maple bacon or ham, but with no salt. This beer is just so smooth and syrupy and Belgium.

M- very sweet, savory due to the buttery maple coating. Very thick, carbonation. Really coats the whole tongue. There is surprising no burn from the 10% alcohol, but this is common and to be expected by the Bruery.

O- This is a solid deconstruction of Fall flavors recombined into a sweet thick and mapley beer. While it has the flavors of fall, I think the combination could be combined and tamed into something better. I want some more savor in my sweetness of fall. Overall I will drinking another one of theses while eating left overs of cold turkey.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Bruery tulip glass

Pours a very dark brown/copper color with a small light brown head which dissipates rather quickly into a fizzy top layer, leaving no lacing behind. Wow. The aroma is really strong on this one. This began with a strong aroma of Belgian yeast and burnt caramel, with hints of allspice and molasses. Oh yeah.... and YAMS. The first sip was quite spicy, with a sweet backend, almost tasted like teriyaki sauce. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice all dominate the flavor up front, but burnt caramel and sweet yams to end It. There is also a very noticeable spice from the alcohol content. Mouthfeel on this is kind of syrupy, while displaying a great amount of carbonation. Just like someone mentioned earlier, kind of a medicinal feel to it. I think this is a great, and creative interpretation on this style of beer. Cheers to The Bruery for keeping it creative and different, while maintaining the high-quality we have come to expect from them.

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a hazy very dark brown with dark red highlights when held to light along with a creamy finger of head. The nose carries Belgian yeast spices, a touch of coconut, sweet caramel maple sweetness along with an earthiness. The taste brings sweetness from the maple along with a chewy richness along with an earthy vegetal quality from the yams. Also it has a very strong belgian yeast taste that I didn't really think worked to well with the other flavors. Abv was slightly noticeable and I didnt find it too drinkable. An interesting autumn brew that I feel would work better with a different yeast strain.

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance:

Tonight I reached for a glass in my collection that I only used a few times, a super cool Westmalle Belgian goblet that was made just for these styled ales. It has all different kinds of leafs and designs cut into the very thick glass which just adds to the overall beauty and always delivers a nice thick head. A little bit on the heavier side for glassware but it's still a great chalice for any Belgian ale. Continuing on, I pulled the cap off the 750ml bottle and was greeted with a generous amount of hissing and carbonation which is great for this style of beer. On the pour I decided to tilt the large chalice making sure to not over flow it with head. When I was done, there was a thin half finger thick bone white head that dissipated very quickly to almost nothing after a few minutes. When I hold the chalice up to the light the beautiful deep amber, slightly hazy deep reddish orange colored ale glimmers in the light. This really reminds me of fresh orange blossom honey minus the thickness of course. On a quick check the viscosity appears to be pretty light and only leave a little bit of lacing on the walls which is surprising for such a high ABV beer.

Smell:

On the front end of this aroma I am picking up loads of sugary molasses and caramelized brown sugar. Almost like the syrup you smother your sweet potatoes and burnt marshmallows with at thanksgiving time. There is a touch of citrus hiding through all the spices as well (from the hops?). Some vanilla is present but nothing overdone, and a small amount of nutmeg rounds out the finish.

Taste:

Hmm, its pumpkin pie-esque but not like most of the other commercial types of beers out there. In my opinion, many are overdone and too spice forward which really ruins the body and overall flavor. This on the other hand is mild and subdued with the yam flavors and spices which I do enjoy. The only complaints I have are that this is entirely under carbonated and has a slight acidic twang in the finish that I just can't put my finger on. In the finish a oxidized flavor is pushing through that I am not really liking and the cloying sweetness is starting to get to me.

Drinkability:

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy pumpkin and other spiced beers but I am going to say that this one isn't one of my favorites. I had the pleasure to try the bourbon barrel aged version of this and thought it was out of this world. It just seems the regular version isn't quite what I hoped it would be. As I always say, maybe you want to give it a shot and disregard my experience. Just because I don't like this one a lot doesn't mean you won't. So go out on a limb and try something different and see if this is up your ally.

2.6/5  rDev -31%

A- Dark reddish brown pour with thin white head, no lacing.

S-Earthy, rasin, maple syrup

T- Light pumpkin pie spice sweetness, even though this beer is made with sweet potatoes it has a typical pumpkin beer flavor. Some malt and a little alcohol, little or no hop bitterness. For a beer with maple in it's name I can't really taste it.

M- Light carbonation. Champagne like bubbles on the tip of the tongue. Slight malt aftertaste.

O- Not a bad beer but kinda mild.  Rather disappointed. Kinda reminiscent of an English brown with a little sugar and spice thrown in. I had expected a much bolder beer with much more maple and fall flavors.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

Bottle (2011)

The Bruery Provisions
Orange, CA

Hazy copper and auburn with bright orange edges. Very light khaki foam and spots of lacing down the glass.

As the beer warms, the aromas really open up. It starts off pretty muted, but eventually the aromas showcase yam, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, along with a faint Belgian yeast tang. All in all very nice, though incredibly subdued and muted at lower temperatures.

The flavor also takes significant warming to really shine through, though I really like it when given the opportunity. This is like liquid pumpkin pie (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg), as the affiliated spices really shine through.

Medium to full bodied with ample carbonation. A great fall sipper, and the alcohol is remarkably well hidden.

For the style, I think this one is nearly perfect. I love this stuff!

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle served in a tulip, room temperature

A = pours a dark orange, almost no head, moderate carbonation

S = yeast, malt, cinnamon, nutmeg

T = malty, yeasty, then a little spice comes through. Not overpowering yam flavor, but you can tell it's in there

M = Spicy as above, fairly thick, medium carbonation

D = medium drinkability, next time I'd split the bottle. I'm not typically a huge fan of Belgian style ales, but knowing this going in to the beer, it's a nice different take on the style. Definitely can see this as a nice one to sip on a cool autumn night, but not an every day beer for me.

3.67/5  rDev -2.7%

A-dark cloudy chestnut with a thick light tan head

S-smells like a lot of dark belgian sugars with a lot of caramel. there's also a hint of maple the seems a bit sour smelling. its a strong and unique scent that clears the nostrils.

T-comes in with a stinging and slightly tart taste of sweet caramels and dark belgian malts. that taste slowly becomes weaker. there's a subtle after-taste of maple. its a very sweet and strong taste.

M-high carbonation with a sticky finish

O-i don't know who had the idea to classify this as a fruit beer, but that person was wrong. this is absolutely a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. its also very, very quick hitting, however a whole bottle is still easy drink with much pleasure.

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

2008 bottle served in Bruery tulip glasses.

Appearance: Hazy redish orange in color, absolutely no carbonation.

Smell: Smells like thanksgiving. Yammy, sweet, nutmeg, molasses, cinnamon and other spices.

Taste: Yam taste is very prevalent with nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup becomming more prevalent as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, flat, rich, with a residual alcohol taste.

Overall: A good beer, ideal for thanksgiving dinner. Autumn in a bottle.

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fresh bottle from this batch poured into a tulip. The beer pours a very dark reddish brown with a off white / light tan head that dissipates very quickly to a lasting ring with some lacing. Looks great. The smell is a lot like a kriek and very sour smelling, the alcohol is very prevalent on the nose with a light hint of sweet potatos and spice. The taste is very strong of maple brown sugar, sweet potato, nutmeg and other spices. Alcohol is very upfront as well. The mouth feel is sticky with a medicinal burn throughout, a very similar mouthfeel to nyquil. This beer has a lot of good flavors working together to create a nice combonation but are in a battle with the medicinal alcohol taste.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Got a couple bottles at Whole Foods while picking up a bottle of Marshal Zhukov. This pours a brilliant copper color with about a one-finger crown. This wreaks of autumn. You could damn near let this sit out and use it as potpourri. It's easy to take in the hints of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, vanilla, and so many other subtly nuanced spices. The taste is very unique. You definitely get the yams. However, it has a very strong clove presence...the same way every beer on earth that's brewed with Belgian yeast has that trademark taste/smell to it. This had a nice mouthfeel to it. Nothing about it was long lasting or lingering except a bit of the clove again. Over all, this was nice. I have one bottle left and plan on hanging on to it until I can see my breath outside. Then it'll be perfect.

3.27/5  rDev -13.3%

Transcribed from my notebook.

Looks reddish brown with a minimal sudsy white head, little to no lacing. Mouthfeel is fine with the carbonation but suffers somewhat from an excess of boozey hotness that dries everything out in my mouth somewhat too much for my taste. The nose absolutely reeks of cloying yams, maple sap, and pumpkin pie spicing....I am shocked to report that this is the first time I have ever experienced a desire for a de-amplification of the nose in my entire beer-tasting experience. Its a great combo of smells which work together well, but the levels are set so high as to be annoying. Tastes like maple syrup at first, but evolves into MEGA sweet potato pie with a boozey alcohol burn to it. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I can see how it would appeal to others. It just....crams *way* too much yam flavor and scent into my head, when I'm only a lukewarm fan of yams and sweet potatoes. If you go crazy for sweet potatoes, than this beer will be right up your alley.

3.66/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Pours a medium red/light brown with minimal white head that goes away quickly

S: Lots of brown sugar, spices, a touch of maple syrup, and what might be the yams. However, there's something sour to the smell I'm not liking. Not sure if it's a tart berry smell, or funk or whatever, but I don't like a sour smell in spiced beers.

T: The taste is much better. It starts off as a rich, sweet, almost syrupy kind of maple/cinnamon/brown sugar flavor, then moves into a tart sort of cider, with fresh, crisp apple flavors in the middle, but finishes with an earthy sweetness that I could only describe as a sweet potatoesque finish.

O: This is a good one, but I'm sure there are better autumn seasonals than this out there. Still, not a bad brew.

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

a: thick golden/amber hue with slight head. good carbonation forming the head and these look like firm bubbles. little lacing.

s: clove, nutmeg, vanilla, generic spice. Smells like pumkin to me. Expected a bigger yeasty pie crust smell but didn't get it. sweet malts of maple and honey round out the nose.

t: definitely not pumpking. tastes like sweet potatoes all the way, which is what they use. The taste of the yams only creeps at the end and rounds out the aftertaste. There is a whole heck of a lot of spice in here. spices follow the nose, not too strong but there is quite the variety. A bit messy and slight booze makes the spice profile just so-so. A bit uneven. Nice sweetness after the spice, though.

m: good carbonation, crisp. Medium in body.

o: as advertised. Too much spice for me. The booze mixes well with the yam flavor, but not so much the spice. The malty maple sweetness saves this at the end and the unique aftertaste of yam provides a nice treat.

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep mahogany brown with ruby hues, half of a finger off white head that fades quickly and leaves nothing behind with no lacing.

Aroma of sweet molasses, maple syrup and yeast.

Taste is initially sweet with brown sugar, molasses , yams and ends with a spice , yeast and an earthiness flavor.

Mouthfeel was medium leaning light body with very llight carbonation, creamy smooth and a slight alcohol warming from the 10.5%.

Overall this is a nice fruit/ vegetable beer, probably better enjoyed in the crisp fall weather, I would prefer a good pumpkin beer over this, however, it is a solid beer.

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from the 750 mL bomber into my Russian River pint glass.

A - Pours a deep amber/red color with a fingers worth of off-white head, which quickly fades to a very light coating at the top of the glass. Looks like a cross between a fruit beer and brown ale.

S - Nose is very faint. Not a potent scent at all. Dominant smell is nutty, with the spices coming through more potently than anything else. Reminds me of the fall. Though not very potent, the scent that is present is very pleasant and balanced.

T - Taste is pretty boozy. The harsh alcohol is followed by a very spicy maple taste, which is backed by the nutty flavor of a more typical brown ale. Normally I don't mind a harsh alcohol taste, but in this one it's just a bit too much. It is difficult to get past this and into the other flavors. I do pick up a bit of dark fruit as well. Probably should have let this one sit for a couple years.

*Note - Once I poured the bottom of the bottle, there seemed to be a much better balance to the beer. Perhaps I would have been better off swirling as I poured.

M - Consistent with the boozy taste, this one burns quite a bit in the mouth. As mentioned before, I normally don't mind some burn, but this is a bit over the top.

O - Overall a pretty big disappointment for me. I will revisit this one when I can let a bottle sit for a couple years and see if the extra age on it helps mellow out the boozy bite.

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

750 ml split with Klym and SundaySour over the weekend.

An attempted "proper pour" into Lost Abbey tulips.

A: Mahogany with some rich shades of cherry and plum. Different colorings come through in the spectrum of deep dark tree saps. A beer that visibly has maple syrup in it. Big ups on the visual. A little bit of heady froth sticks modestly sticks to the glass.

S: Sweet caramelized yams, a really light mixed breakfast smell. A combination of French toast, maple syrup, and other continental fair into one liquid emulsion. Quite a nose-full, I could wake up to this.

T: Sweet potato pie, lightly roasted pecans. The lightest maple sugar finishes out the dough in the pie crust. Lingering taste of spiced sweet potato chips blended with a mild Belgian yeast to create a Frankenstein recipe of sweet potato fries. However, this is not too sweet at all, really quite savory. Beets make a sugary appearance in the background.

M: A light/medium body that dries to create patches of cotton mouth. Really matches the flavor to create a uniquely crisp finish. This is really unexpected, and I had to really dwell on the mouth to pick this out. This is really the secret sauce to the success of this beer. The worker behind the scenes that sensitizes the taste buds to the light flavors of fall.

O: Just a really solid alternative fall beer. A front runner for a breakfast/brunch brew. The savory over sweet aspects make this a thanksgiving master pairing. Let grandma take a swig. But watch that ABV, and don't let her drive. She'll thank you for it, but she might also ask for a fresher bottle for comparison. I can't help but agree with her. As good as this is, maybe it's even better fresh.

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

Another share with Cavery. Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

A: Dark cherry with a thin off-white head and medicore but present lacing. Some great about the appearance and some mediocre, coming out into just 'good'.

S: Maple, bacon, and pepper all in the nose. I certainly wasn't expecting the bacon but on it came, and a very high quality bacon at that. I feel like I'm missing some things but not sure what.

T: Wow, an autumn breakfast mix in the mouth. Maple, bacon, brioche, and jalapeno all in the taste. Belgian yeast is very well hidden. Really high quality flavor; stout flavors rolled into a belgian ale.

M: Solid mouthfeel, not much to say about it.

O: Really interesting and fantastic beer. I would love to have this again and try it either aged or fresh, not being sure which one would do better by it. The flavors in this are really distinct, creative, and interesting. I can't not recommend this beer to everyone.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bottle from 2009 poured into a Delirium tulip

Pours a thick reddish brown with a few bubbles that immediately fade to almost nothing, maybe a few spots left no matter how I swirl or shake the glass.

Smells like sweet potatoes, yams, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie all as promised.

Tastes follow suit with some candied fruit, maple syrup, and light coconut. An almost prune juice feel with some cinnamon spice on the end.

Mouthfeel is a but thin for what I expected. I can't remember if it's like this fresher or not.

Overall is good but for what it's comparing to on the bottle I personally do prefer pumpkin beers (DFH-Southern Tier). Although maybe this is just a whole different kind of beer.

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a very pretty cloudy amber, with a quickly disappearing off-white head. Minimal sweet and spicy smell (although the minimal part might be my allergy nose), couldn't pick out any of the specific spices. Lots of malty sweet potato flavor with clear cinnamon and nutmeg. Carbonation is pretty overpowering, needed to wait for that to settle down before tasting each sip.

I like this and would drink it again, probably won't seek it out, at least until next fall.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle. Pours a slightly cloudy copper amber color with a nice white head. Sweet aroma with a mix of caramel, spice, and pumpkin. Medium mouthfeel. Sweet and a little tart partnered with spice. Caramel and some apple as well. Not bad. Overall, I was surprised at how well I liked this beer. The spice works well with the malty backbone.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

After 2 rotten bottles (store mishandling?) I finally tracked down a decent bottle. Poured into a snifter after a half hour in the fridge.

A - Very clear dark amber, with a head that dissipates fairly quickly. Almost looks like a cognac or hard liquor sitting in my snifter.

S - Sweet potatoes, brown sugar, spices, and alcohol. The Belgian yeast and yams really give this an earthy aroma as well.

T - I'm not a huge fan of the flavors here. Huge sweet potatoes and malt. Theres some spices and darker flavors as well. Caramel, brown sugar, cinnamon, and some weird funkiness from the yeast. Light on the alcohol.

M - Fairly thin and light. Its a bit too carbonated for the style as well. Flavors fade way too quickly.

O - I love pumpkin/spice beers so I've been after this one for a while. Its pretty unique since it does use yams over the usual pumpkin, but I wasn't feeling this one. DFH Punkin Ale has really set the bar for me, but I'll give this another shot in the fall when its fresh.

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

750mL poured in my Goose Island Chalice. 4/28/11

A- Aumber in color, off-white to light caramel head about 1 1/2 fingers thick. Disapates quickly, a little lacing, but thin on the retracting.

S- Caramel and toffee notes, Belgian yeast, baking spices, definitely some maple syrup w/sweetness.

T- Caramel malts, maple syrup, subtle yams, watered-down molasses which work in a good way for me, nutmeg, cinnamon, Belgian yeast, candied orange peel. This beer works for me. Just a little thin.

M- A little thin on the mouthfeel, but smooth.

Overall- I like this beer. I wish the finish was a little longer. I could see myself sipping on this while the leaves change in my favorite month of October!

Autumn Maple from The Bruery