Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks goes out to G311 for this brew.

750ml

Poured into a chalice a nice reddish color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy/creamy light tan head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, slight yeast note, very slight tang, cherries. The taste is malty, alittle yeasty, sweet, cherries. Medium Body. Drinkable, a nice brew, glad to finally get a chance to try it.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

I've had this one for quite some time now and seeing as how my new Bruery tulip just showed up a few days ago, I thought I'd christen it with this brew...

This has more Belgian Strong Dark aromas coming off it than anything else... Loads of yeast and sugars... hints of the sweet potatoes for sure as well along with the usual suspects of cinnamon and nutmeg... Unusual but not particularly exciting...

Again, I get more Belgian than anything.... It's pretty tasty but there's something just not put together right here... I'm getting the yams but the spice ratios don't seem right to me.. At least that's what I'm getting... Others seem to disagree with me which is OK too...

Fairly average really to me... One of the main brews I traded for and at least I know now what it's all about...

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Pours a murky brown with two fingers of beige head that fades into a frothy ring and leaves a little lacing.

S: Nutmeg, pumpkin, and yams dominate the nose. Smells similar to many pumpkin ales, but with the emphasis more on the pumpkin and sweet potatoes than the spices that normally go with them.

T: Similar to the taste, pumpkin and sweet potato flavors dominate this beer with a touch of nutmeg. The finish has a light bready bitterness and some warm alcohol notes.

M: Medium-thick body and medium carbonation, this beer is thick and fairly creamy. The carbonation provides a bit of a bite to go with the bready flavors and it's surprisingly not too sweet.

O: Overall, a good beer and definitely better than most fruit/veggie beers. I'd almost consider it more of an imperial pumpkin ale and it's better than most of those as well. Not too sweet or overloaded with spices, this beer is filling and goes down easily.

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

750 ml bottle into cervoise

This beer pours an amber brown with decent head. The head stuck around for about half of the party but left its drunk friend, lacing, around a while longer. This beer smells and tastes like a kaleidoscope of spices from my pantry. First off, the predominant smell and taste is freakin' yams, no surprise there. Very strong. You can pick up the Belgian yeast more in the nose than the flavour but that is because of the veritable cluster...party...of spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, lots of brown sugar and molasses. It might be me but I didn't pick up too much of the maple, and I know everything about maple syrup, maple leaves, maple trees, etc... This was an easy enough beer to drink, not too hard, slight alcohol burning. I am pretty sure if you drank more than one though, you'd turn into a drunk turkey. I'd give it a go again, but with a side of cranberry sauce.

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

Picked up during a sally into Packer-land, as little across the border as I could get. Glad to see they've picked up The Bruery, I've grabbed a few of them now; they've been hit & miss for me. What do I hold now? Triple? Or a whiff? Split in twain with my wife.

Pour is a striking, pin-up quality auburn; I should mention the last few ounces remain in the heavy bottle. Smell shouts of cinnamon & allspice, one of the few times I could pick out individual spices without resorting to the label; yowza. Maple comes in underneath. Not much hint of anything beer-related, interestingly.

Autumn Maple should be renamed Autumn Yams. Holy rabbit pellets. I am going to pause for a word from our sponsor, & to pick my taste buds out of the soles of my feet. Sheeeeiite. OK, OK, ready for another sip now. Well, I think I've learned something tonight: I'm not terribly fond of yams. Actually, I've never had them, but that has to be the roughshod vegetable taste in this brew. The under-ingredients leaven it & save it somewhat. The cinnamon & allspice come through again, along with less specific spices. The maple arrives late, & only faintly. Earthiness, nuttiness slip in & out. Yams seize control again on the backside.

Like a few of the beers from the Bruery I haven't enjoyed, this one is also carbonated with the aggressiveness of a bull-fighter. Slap-happy in the mouth, which is a bit at odds with a cold-weather sipper. Surprisingly drinkable for what it is.

Which is a circus-show. Put up a tent, watch the trapeze artists, guzzle some Autumn Maple! Seriously strange. Not good, but certainly not bad; points for boldness, at least. I'm going to call it decent, but no single adjective, verb, interjection, or gerund could possible describe it.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Pours a dark amber with garnet highlights. The head is minimal, white, and recedes quickly.

S: A sweet and earthy aroma of dark fruits, maple syrup, sweet potatoes, spices (clove, cinnamon, allspice), vanilla, brown sugar, & molasses. The Belgian yeast makes some presents in the nose, but it's small.

T: Taste like Thanksgiving and follows the nose very well. Again, flavors are dark fruits, spices, vanilla, brown sugar, Belgian yeast, & molasses. There are definitely some caramel malts that give this a nice backbone and the sweet potatoes and maple syrup give it a pleasant sweetness in the middle. No alcohol in the flavor.

M: Medium-full body, decent amount of carbonation, & nice, smooth, syrupy texture.

D: Served this at dinner when I roasted a turkey and what-not (no it wasn't Thanksgiving). It went extremely well with the meal and could easily have 2-3 bottles of this in one night. Great for the fall or any "feast" like meal. Highly recommend.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

I had this on Thanksgiving 2010 but I just found my 'notes' on it today (2/20/11).

750ml bottle served in a wine glass.

L - murky, mahogany color with a thin beige head that left a spot or two of lacing.

S - earthy spiced aroma.

T - sweet, spiced taste from start to the somewhat yeasty, dry finish.

F - medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - it was ok for what I consider a 'novelty beer'.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into my favorite Dogfish Head glass on 2/9/11

A - Pours a nice almost clear brown with an inch of foam that quickly faded to a ring of bubbles

S - The maple syrup is really coming on strong mixed with the yams, not sweet, almost starchy smelling with a mix of vanilla and sugar cookie. Interesting though I can't say overly appealing.

T - The taste pretty much follows the aroma but i"m liking it alot more. The maple syrup is strongest with the yams in the background. Not sickeningly sweet, but you can tell there is alot of maple syrup.

M/D - Medium-Heavy bodied, a bit syrupy, alcohol is hidden well but burns a little in the finish. Still easy to drink but maybe not one i'd go back to over and over again. Finally nice to try this one.

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

750 mL bottle pours a very hazed brown color with a bubbly tan head. Fades pretty fast to a nice sheen.

Nose has a yeasty, spice bite with plenty of sweet maple and coriander perhaps. Strongly spiced and has some earhty undertones, perhaps from the sweet potatoes.

Taste is both heavy on the sweetness and spicing. Syrupy even. Yeasty, fruity, bready and doughy with a full body. Lots of character here and makes for an interesting quaff, but I am not a huge fan. ABV is well masked, although it is still a sipper. Not sure how many times I would buy it at 12 bucks a bottle, but fun to try at least once or twice.

A- Golden dark brown some orange highlights, dark khaki head with lacing around the glass.

S-Sweet booze covered nuts, brown sugar,vanilla cookies,some yeast and breads.

T- Iget an intial hit of booze along with syrupy sugars,cinnamon,nutmeg. Yams do make an appearance somewhere in the middle but not as predominant as I expected. Pretty tasty.

M- Full frothy enough carbonation, does have a bit of a syrupy consistency.

D- Very tasty although the abv was a bit too high for me, you dont get weary from this onslaught of winter flavors. Worth picking up if you see it.

I give this 4 across the board.

Pours a cloudy dark muddy amber.

Smells great. Just the name alone gets me excited about trying this beer. Plus I have not had anything from Bruery that I have not liked. Smells of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg I want to say pumpkin because of the accompanying spices but I know it is yams because of what I have read.

Very sweet and yet a little kick from the spices in it. Definite tastes of cinnamon and nutmeg. Very nice blend of spices and sweetness. I like a good Octoberfest and this one comes through.

Great mouthfeel . I am only having have of this bottle tonight. I will re-cork it and finish it tomorrow. Not sure of the ABV but the sweetness of it makes it a sipper and I generally guzzle beer and don't sip it.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Draft pour into a half-pint goblet at Whole Foods in Tustin.
2010 vintage.

A: Slightly hazy, dark coppery-amber color with one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Muted mixed fruit that seems both tart and earthy. Faint holiday spices can be detected, although alcohol is not present.

T: Begins sweet, with bold tart and juicy fruit. Lactic acidity fades into the middle, where flavors become slightly bready and more earthy while retaining the fruit quality established early. It finishes moderately bitter, accented by spicy herbaceous hops. Alcohol is not detected in the flavor.

M: Medium to thick viscosity, slightly syrupy and smooth on the palate, with low carbonation.

D: The Bruery's approach to the crafting of their Fall pumpkin ale by omitting the pumpkin proves nearly infallible. The result is a delicious beer that compliments holiday dinner perfectly. The disparity in intensity between smell and taste is surprising, yet it may be the only mis-step of note found here.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Enjoyed from the bottle on a random Saturday when I didn't feel like going out. Sips were taken from my tulip glass in between shots on the playstation.

Pours a very cloudy orange-tinged cranberry. Nice color, but dark. The one finger head is a late arrival, rising from the depths long after the pour is over and showing off in finger-tall glory for just a few seconds before it recedes to a medium-sized, bubbly ring.

In the nose: tangy prune, sweet potato pie, maple, cinnamon and lots of apple juice. It's on the sweet side, with a weird tang I didn't expect.

Very sweet in the flavor. Lots of apple cider, raisins, maple syrup, light cinnamon spiciness, a little bit of yams. Very slightly drying on the swallow. Subtle alcohol flavor, but no burn, interestingly.

Prickly medium carbonation amidst a body a tick under medium. It fizzes up just a bit as it moves around. Smooth and substantial, though. The alcohol is well-hidden by flavor, but it's just a little too sweet.

Great flavors, but drinkability is hurt by a hefty, nearly cloying sweetness. A good Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert beer.

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Had this a few months ago, so reviewing from notes. 750ml bottle poured into a snifter

A: Pours a mostly opaque mahogany. The initial 1 finger head turns to a thin layer within minutes. No retention whatsoever

S: Mostly earthy notes. Maybe it's the yam used in brewing, but I wouldn't make that distinction without the notes on the bottle. There is also some spice mixed in. Subtle dark fruit and sugar sweetness accompanies this

T: Lots of spices start this off - pepper, allspice. Some molasses flavor. I get more of a sweet potato flavor opposed to yam, but I guess they are pretty close. Noticed a touch of heat and belgian yeast after a few sips. Not really doing it for me

M: Medium bodied. Active, bubbly carbonation. Dry finish

D: This was certainly a change from the normal autumn seasonal. However, I'll stick to my pumpkin beers. The yam flavor just doesn't work well in beer

Autumn Maple pours a hazy dark reddish/brown into the glass with a big, frothy white head on top. The foam dissolves slowly to a thick blanket on the surface and leaves behind several lines and spots of lace on the glass.

The spicy aroma has notes of clove, cinnamon, orange peel, brown sugar and raisins. The aroma starts out like a Belgian style beer, but has some added essence to it. Quite interesting.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is light on the palate, slick, pillowy, with an effervescent fizz. The flavor has a lot going on. It begins sweet with notes of brown sugar and molasses. I think I can taste the yams in there too. In the middle spicy notes of clove, coriander, cinammon and a little vanilla. Ripe fruits (raisin or plum) are also present. It finishes a little funky and dry with some yeasty flavors. Once gone the sweet brown sugar and raisin notes linger on the palate.

This is an interesting, full flavored beer that definitely deserves to be sipped.

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Fairly clear brownish auburn with a nice off white head. The color reminds me of autumn.

S - Spicy belgian yeast notes with dark fruits, cinnamon, maple syrup and vanilla.

T - On the sweet side with some caramel malts, bready, hint of chocolate with a general spiciness and belgian yeast notes. Lingering maple syrup flavor on the finish.

M - Medium body with just a touch of slickness due to the sweetness.

D - Definitely has some autumn flavors to it. Not sure I like the combo with the belgian yeast.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a Founders snifter, this beer poured a cloudy burnt red to brown in color with an off white head that laced the glass. This smells like a sweet potato covered in butter, sprinkled with cinnamon fresh out of the oven. I don't even like sweet potatoes but wow, this is perfect for autumn. I wish I would've opened this on Thanksgiving. This tastes like sweet potato pie, and that's the perfect description. It is a little sweet but it's to be expected for what the rest of the beer represents. It drinks smoothly and looks like a Belgian dark and is full bodied. This beer is very drinkable but the sweetness can be a little much. I'm not a fan of yams so I'm glad I split this bottle three ways. It's a good beer and different to say the least. I'm glad I tried it. This beer should definitely be split between friends as more than a third would be a little much.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours dark copper with blood orange highlights when held to the light. One inch of very bubbly head evaporates quickly, settling to a thin white film on the surface.

Mouthfeel is medium-full but with enough carbonation to bring some tangy flavor to the tongue.

This beer hits the nose with molasses, brown sugar, coriander and citrus. There's an earthy undertone that I would guess comes from the yams.

The taste gives you a lot to think about. The sweet molasses and brown sugar flavors come through first. Then the coriander and cinnamon flavors meld in nicely. Some yammy earthiness and depth comes at the midpoint and escorts the beer to its finish which melds that earthy flavor with some hop and alcohol bitterness. the flavor of the yams comes through pretty unmistakably and is distinct from the sweetness. If yams aren't your thing, this isn't your beer.

I'm rating this in comparison to the other fall/pumpkin beers since the yams are really a replacement for that gourd. Based on that standard, I think this beer does quite well. It's not overly spiced and you can actually taste the yams (whereas many pumpkin beers are designed to mimic pumpkin pie rather than actual pumpkin). Not my favorite style or my favorite example of the style, but it is evocative of the season and is worth a try when the leaves change. A worthy experiment from a forward thinking brewery.

Picked up a bottle of this at TW for a discounted price, due to it's "off-seaon." Poured into a chalice. Pours a dark, murky brownish-orange with a 2-finger width tan head on top. No retention whatsoever. No lace. The nose is really sweet, but not maple, as I expected. More like plum, stawberry, vanilla. Subtle spiciness on the finish.

The mouth is way carbonated, to the point of almost being harsh. This smooths out on the finish though. The maple is also absent in the flavor. I expected this aspect to be more pronounced. Some cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and yeast. Yeast is all over the place. I was instructed to take care pouring this one out to leave the yeast in the bottle, but my best try was a failure I guess. Alcohol is hidden well. One glass was fine enough for me. I don't think I'll revisit this one again. Where's the maple? Where's the yams? I had high hopes, but it left me wanting much more out of it.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a murky brown with modest sized head that is light tan in color. Nose has mixed holiday spices and some bread-like qualities. More bread on the palate, very Belgian-esque, with a funky fruity flavor and kore holiday spices. Alcohol is hidden well. Moderately easy to drink.

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Picked this up on a whim at Julio's a while back. Somewhat forgot all about it.

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip with a nice creamy two finger head that slowly faded to leave a cream coloured curtain atop the deep amber brew. Very small bubbled coming up from the bottom of the tulip.

S - Picking up some nice spice notes mainly allspice and a little nutmeg. Getting a very slight sweetness, not much in the way of yam aroma. There is the nice tell tale yeast strain smell that the Bruery is known for.

T - Similar to the nose with the spice notes up front. Still not getting much in the way for yam taste or sweetness. Infact, no much in the way of maplesyrup either. Theres somethign earthy on the back but its very faint. The strongest aspect is the slightly funky yeast strain.

M - Low carbonation results in a somewhat creamy beer. The 10.5 % isnt felt in the mouth but its kinda heavy. Works with this flavor profile.

D - Its a good beer, not my thing, but considering the ABV is drinks fairly well. The smell could really use some boosting, as well as the flavor. This drinks more like a winter warmer than a "yam" beer. I respect how nicely the ABV is hidden and how long the foam hangs around for but this was still somewhat dissapointing.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

a- 750ml bottle poured into a snifter, one finger head fades to uneven, bubbly lace and a ring around the glass, murky walnut coloring.

s- belgian brown with a twist, really deep inhale only gives a scant hint of maple syrup and yams, mostly getting the typical yeasty, bready, spicy notes.

t- brown, pretty much what i get in the nose, on the backend i get some yams and maple spice, really yeasty and bready, sweet.

m- medium bodied.

d- not quite sure why but this wasn't that drinkable for me, i couldn't have more than one glass, i even paired it with food - drank this on Thanksgiving. Okay beer, just not up my alley.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had the first incarnation of this beer and it was horribly undercarbonated so hoping this one turned out better.

pours a big white head, lacing, creamy, chewy looking.

Light smell, not too much on it. Some spices.

Decent taste, some heat, no real maple or other vanilla, molasses flavors, only some spice and yeast.

Overall a disappointing beer but not bad.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a dark copper color.

S: Brown sugar with a hint of spices.

T: Slightly sweet with brown sugar and maple being rather prominent. Spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. Slightly sour Belgian yeast.

M: Medium bodied, highly carbonated.

D: An interesting beer. A good one to sip on a cool fall evening.

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a tulip glass an almost crisp dark orange with a decent off white head that diminishes to a ring. Aroma is a nice amount of spice alongside dried fruits, molasses and a hint of maple. The taste is sweet brown sugar, spice, burnt caramel, dried fruits and molasses, nice and complex. The beer is medium bodied with fairly well hidden alcohol, great for a cold December day.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery