Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

2.88/5  rDev -23.6%

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

This is a very complex beer but what is so interesting is that the nose and flavors were so identical. I catch Belgian yeast at first with sweet potatoes, light clove, nutmeg, pumpkin pie, cinnamon, malt, toffee and then an odd turn to bubblegum. Complex and pleasantly different this is a very enjoyable beer.

4.16/5  rDev +10.3%

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Not AWESOME, but i'm not upset I bought it to go with Thanksgiving dinner. Same feeling I get with each Bruery beer I try: it'd taste a ton better if the price point was lower.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is the first beer I have had from The Bruery. Technically this is not a pumpkin beer, but I am going to say that its in the same category.

Look: Dark brown, very attractive, not very hazy but does have a bit of that going on.

Aroma: Sweet esters and yeast, along with some spices, maybe cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Taste: Interesting beer. I got more of the Belgian component from this one, more yeasty and ester based than anything else. They say they use "yams" I wonder if they mean the actual tropical root "yam" or the misnomer that people refer to sweet potatoes as? Anyway, it does have a bit of an earthy component. Some nuttiness and maybe a slight bit of maple syrup in there. But not very dominant. Some vanilla. I also got some of the spices, maybe cardamom and allspice, not not a lot there, his one was more on the sweet side and the alcohol was not all all that well hidden.

Overall: This was an interesting beer. It really wasn't a pumpkin beer but an autumn beer. I don't know what they mean by yams. I live in the South and a damn yam is not a sweet potato! If it is sweet potatoes then they need to say what it is, anyway, this is an interesting beer and has intrigued me enough to try some of their other offerings which I have heard are much better anyway. It was a good deal for the beer considering the flavors and size of the bottle. I would suggest this one and I might purchase this one again next year. If I decide to even hop on the fall beer train. I am kind of over it at this point and this was the last one of the year and I saved it for the last "Fall" holiday, Thanksgiving!

Autumn Maple from The Bruery