Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Reviews: 579 | Hads: 1,831
3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

A 750 ml brown bottle (pretty label), poured to a pint glass. It's the first day of winter and Portland is locked in, as dubbed by the media, an 'Arctic Blast'. Temps in the 20's, nearly a foot of the white stuff on the ground and more on the way. (Pointless) Snow shoveling completed, seems a perfect time for a warming Pumpkin Ale.

A: Color is nice: an autumnal chestnut/orange-brown, a faint haze. Where's the carbonation? A few frothy soap bubbles form a sloppy ring, fading quickly to pencil-thin whitish ring. No visible bubbles - looks kinda sad and lifeless but for a cheery color.

S: Pleasant sweetness: a nose full of nuttiness, pumpkin spices (allspice, nutmeg), dark raisins. Sugary sweetness isn't a bad thing when it smells so much like a pumpkin pie, complete with a flaky and buttery crust.

T: Pumpkin pie spice and a slight dark fruit tartness (Belgian yeast?). A molasses/maple sweetness, though neither are very discernible. Baked apple pie? Something in the finish reminds me of a spicy/syrupy Belgian tripel: slightly tart, a bit fruity (grapes, apples, pears). Drying bitterness in the finish: a more earthy pungency, like a sprinkling of nutmeg or a shaved cinnamon stick. Definitely holds my attention.

M: Where to begin? Syrupy viscosity going down, then a sticky, almost gummy starchiness. Flat (lack of) carbonation makes for a thinner feel, even from a 'heavy' ale. Alcohol warmth is pretty apparent.

D: I expected to really like this, as I'm a big fan of the 'pumpkin ale'. Read the label: 'Belgian-Style Brown Ale brewed with Yams, Molasses, Maple Syrup and Spices'. Sounds great; execution just didn't work for me. Finished the bottle over a couple hours, but probably would not buy again.

PS: The very faint hiss when uncapping and the generally flat appearance/feel leads me to suspect an issue on the bottling line. Purchased only a couple weeks ago, a fall seasonal certainly within the time frame of freshness. Worth noting that this ale seemed anything but 'fresh' from the bottle. (2,026 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich woody-red color with virtually no head. Aroma of pumpkin spices. Big flavor of yams, which works surprisingly well, spice, and some notes that remind me of rum-raisin ice cream. For all of that, the body is on the thin side, and combining that with the lack of carbonation, the beer is somewhat unsatisfying. There is less alcohol warming than I'd expect for 10% ABV. Tasty, but not really in a beery way. A worthwhile experiment, worth trying, but not something I'd likely buy again. (497 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle purchased from Beverage Warehouse for ten dollars, tasted on Thanksgiving, reviewed from notes, also had on tap a few weeks before, poured into an oversized wine glass, color is a mix between copper and dark orange, minimal 1/4 inch creamy off white head that leaves a little ring, minor lacing, smell is yams, pumpkin pie, numerous spices, molasses, and caramel, flavor is mostly brown sugar and spices, nice malt backbone, the aftertaste is where you really see the yams and surprisingly it works, never thought it would in a beer, but nice flavor that was perfect over the holiday, mouthfeel is thick, malty, spicy, and chewy, taste lingered a long time, need a lot more carbonation, medium to full bodied, could not drink this whole bottle, strength is there but hidden well, it is very heavy on the stomach though, look forward to seeing how this ages over the years, congratulations to Patrick on brewing another very unique brew, try this when possible (973 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%

From a 750.

Pours a cloudy, muddy brown. As others have said, not a whole lot of visible carbonation.

Big yeasty saison aroma hits me when I first pour, has a nice background of maple syrup.

Medium sweet malt with tons of spice in the flavor. Lots of other flavors, yams, cinammon, a few I have no idea, all fight for control of your tastebuds, a little overwhelming but tasty at the same time.

Overall, I liked this beer ALOT when i had it on tap at the br(ue)ewery, I think it loses a little of its character in the bottle with the light carb. I found myself really enjoying it in 4-5 oz. increments but not wanting more than that. (637 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Mucky brown body with no head at all with a vigorous pour. No lacing at all

S - Sweet dark fruit and rich spices come through the nose that produce great pleasure and a sense of holiday.

T - Yams and molasses. Holiday spice with some apple cider flavor mixed in as well

M - Medium body no zero carbonation. Having no carbonation destroys the mouthfeel.

D - I think this beer would be wonderful if properly carbonated but it is not and that makes it a little hard to handle (480 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours murky brown with absolutely no head. Maple syrup and pumkins are prevalent in the nose, as is molasses and spice. You can really taste the yams, and I'm not sure that's a good thing when it comes to beer. Heavily spiced, nutmeg, cinnamon, and very sweet due to the maple syrup. The flatness of the mouthfeel really detracts from the beer as there is no carbonatin at all. I applaud the attempt but I will not be gettign this one again. (441 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -0.8%

Another beer absolutely undercut by carbonation issues. Hopefully these are corrected going forward... as it seems the otherwise tasty beers of The Bruery are being effected negatively by these kinks being worked out.

Beer pours a rich ruddish caramel brown with just barely a hint of carbonation. A few tiny bubbles fight through the murk and don't even begin to form a head. That said, the brew has a delicious, saturated looking glow to it that reminds me of fall. Or autumn, as it were.

Aroma is a tidal wave of spices of complex, deep, rich sweetness. There's traditional pumpkin-pie warm spices of cinnamon and nutmeg and clove, but there's also a rich brown sugar and maple syrup sweetness.

The beer itself is still relatively full despite the lack of proper carbonation, and it has a rich complex roasted sweetness that comes through the middle. Maple flavors are more subdued than expected, the molasses and biscuity malt flavors playing more with the spices. The sweetness is never simple or cloying, and with the spices (and whatever hops that are used, flavor-wise they're completely absent) this has a nice clean dryness to its finish.

The mouthfeel is just utterly disappointing, it's almost flat. Only scores as "high" as it does here due to the general perception that the beer was properly brewed...

Find this one on tap where it's properly carbonated for a true treat. Try it in the bottle if (like me) you know what you're getting into and don't want to wait until next year to try it. Hope The Bruery gets their carbonation issues worked out (the word is their house yeast simply couldn't handle the higher alcohol content of this beer to carbonate it). (1,678 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist. Thanks to Ineedabeerhere for the trade hook up!

A: Pours a hazy apple cider/caramel brown color. Popped the cap and, uh oh, no rush of air. Poured into the glasses and not a trace of carbonation or head or lace or anything.

S: Nice thanksgiving-y type aromas of spiced cider, maple glazed sweet potato, various spices, tart green apple, and an underlying Belgian brown ale scent.

T: See above. Tastes like a Belgian-y brown ale blended with spiced apple cider and Grade B maple syrup.

M: Smooth and rather lifeless. This really suffers from the lack of carbonation.

D: Interesting but flawed. I'd love to revisit with a properly carbonated example. Very odd... (761 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -11.3%

A pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a couple of scattered bubbles that quickly disappear. The beer is a rich mahogany color that shows a hazy, brownish red color when held up to the light. The aroma smells fruity with notes of raisins, a touch of rum, baked brown sugar and perhaps even some notes reminiscent of sweet potatoes (I don't know why these are marketed as yams in many parts of the US). There is lots of toffee character, a substantial caramel character as well as a touch of spiciness that reminds me of a touch of nutmeg, ginger, perhaps some all spice and some white pepper and a touch of something herbal.

The beer is almost, though not completely flat; there is just a touch of carbonation that adds a hint of texture to this beer. It is rich and chewy, but lacks a certain fullness somehow because of the lack of carbonation; it almost seems a bit thin somehow, but I wouldn't want it to be thick and rich. Sweet flavors of raisins, brown sugar glazed sweet potatoes and a deeply caramelized flavor. The beer finishes with a soft spiciness that provides a bit of piquancy / warmth (the alcohol), a touch of woody pepper, a touch of allspice, some cinnamon, ginger and a soft, almost neutralized nutmeg note. The finish has a touch of astringency to it, perhaps even a touch of hop bitterness though this last is subtle.

I like that the spice character is quite subtle, it is hard to guess what is spice and what is fermentation derived here, which is exactly how I prefer it. The beer itself is not too bad, it definitely really needs the texture and vitality that carbonation would bring to it. I definitely am looking forward to getting the next, carbonated batch of this. (1,699 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +6.6%

Had it on cask @ Beachwood. Thanks gabe!

A very interesting beer! My first sip made me "Wow!" with all the flavors to take in. You can definitely taste the yams and it's fairly spiced but very drinkable. Cinnamon, ginger and allspice (i think) jump out at me. The color is light amber and the head was well formed. I hear the bottles have a carbonation problem, but it works well on cask because you don't expect much. It tastes like what a autumn amber should taste like. I wouldn't drink it every day, but I would gladly grab a bottle next autumn to enjoy. (560 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

My first Yam ale. Very nice balance, with a lot of flavor. Notes of yam, candied pecan, cinnamon, ginger and all spice. Very simple nose, with sweet malt. Autumn colored ale, with a long lasting head. Interesting, well balanced flavor. Sweet, strong. Pretty nice. (263 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -19.8%

I saved my only bottle of this for thanksgiving. Poured dark brown with absolutely no carbonation. Smells and tastes very nice. Perfect thanksgiving flavors - yams, spices, maple syrup. Really creative idea. Unfortunately the near total absence of carbonation makes this practically undrinkable. It's like a syrupy yam juice. Very disappointing to spend $15 on this, especially since I seem to recall reading that the brewer has acknowledged the carbonation problem. The price should be drastically cut. Couldn't even finish a glass of this, so we used the remainder in our turkey gravy - a task for which this beer is much better suited. The gravy turned out great. Highly recommend using this beer for cooking. (712 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into my DT tulip glass. Thanks for the trade Mattolish!

Brownish color. No head or carbonation. No lacing at all. Totally flat beer. Cinnamon cloves and pumpkin/yam in both the nose and taste of this beer. A bit sweet with great flavor.

If I were judging this purely on flavor it would get very high marks. Maybe the best tasting "pumpkin" beer I have had. The total lack of carbonation killed it for me. It was so flat that it ruined the mouth-feel and drinkability of this one .

I hope if they brew this again that they adjust the carbonation of this beer. If they do I would highly recommend this one. (616 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -45.1%

Chestnuts roasting in the kitchen prompted me to open a bottle I originally envisioned opening on Thanksgiving. I am trying this beer with the girlfriend - she is hard at work prepping for tomorrow's Thanksgiving feast while I am happily sinking into the couch.

Beer poured into an Allagash tulip.

A: The beer looks exactly like sweet tea, minus the ice. Despite an aggressive pour, there is absolutely no head, nor any semblance of carbonation or bubbles rising to the top.

S: This was the strong point of the beer. Very interesting scents with initial notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and raisins. At first I did not detect the yams but the aroma became more distinguished as the beer warmed slightly in the glass. Some of the smells really do (for me at least) conjure up images of fall.

M: The mouthfeel was very weak, which I would attribute primarily to the aforementioned lack of carbonation. It lacked any sort of body. Tangy, and not in a good way.

T: Exhibits some qualities of the more typical Belgian brown ale. However, the more I have, the less I can discern the attributes of the style and the more I notice the yams and spices. It becomes overpowering. There is a bitterness that lingers long after the sip and I find myself wanting to cleanse my palate after each sip.

D: Not good. The bitter aftertaste makes more than a smallish glass of this untenable. There is quite an alcohol wallup - noticed by both me and the girlfriend - which is hidden quite well. As I prefer my beers on the strong side, I view this as a positive.

Overall, this beer was memorable, but for the wrong reasons. I applaud the Bruery for their creativity, but in my (admittedly) novice opinion, the Autumn Maple just doesn't work. If they can get the carbonation worked out, I would be curious to try a small glass on tap next year, but I will not be buying another bottle. Ever. I am looking forward to the Bruery (hopefully) redeeming itself in the bottle of Saison Rue that I will be opening shortly. (2,002 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

I was very excited to try this beer since it was brewed with yams, spices, and maple. However, I was very disappointed when the it poured with no head whatsoever. Little to no carbonation. Great aroma and flavors going on, but it tasted like a beer right after fermentation - flat and sweet. The beer is bottle conditioned so maybe I got one that just didn't carbonate. Gave it a 1.5 on drinkability because my friends and I had to dump it down the drain. Sad. (460 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Pour like dirty Apple cider -- a murky orangish brown. Absolutely no head whatsoever, so it looks like Apple cider too, with just a few large bubbles congregating on one side of the glass.

S: Aromas are a cross between a pumpkin beer and a sweet belgian dubble. Aromas of baked apples, cinnamon, pumpkin pie filling, brown sugar, unsweetened Apple cider.

T: A lot of the aroma comes through on the taste. It actually tastes like a flat -- and i mean flat -- Apple skin-flavored cider, with molasses, maple sugar, mild spice and a bit of the yam coming through.

M: Ok, this is where you go WTF? The beer falls flat here, literally. There's only the slightest detectable touch of carbonation, and this medium bodied brew comes off tasting flat and lacking any kind of consistency. Somewhat syrupy, but a thin syrup.

D: Overall, this beer lacks a feel and carbonation, which kind of spoils it. There is 10% ABV in this beer, but it is so tasty that I cannot detect the slightest bit of it. Kind of tastes like a pumpkin brew you left open and out all night that somehow retained all its flavor but not its carbonation. Its still very drinkable, just half as enjoyable as it would be with some body. (1,204 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%

"I yam what I yam what I yam what I yam."

--Popeye the sailor man

Murky English toffee with hazy orange highlights along the bottom edge of the glass. A barely audible 'pffft' on crown cracking led to a high altitude pour, which led to a loose collection of ecru colored bubbles that isn't lasting long and isn't laying down any lace. It goes without saying that undercarbonation is an issue. The beer itself still looks fantastic.

Since no pumpkin was used in the brewing of Autumn Maple, calling it a pumpkin ale isn't valid. Having said that, it smells like a pumpkin ale. Since yams don't taste like pumpkins, the spices must be causing the confusion. By my nose, cinnamon and nutmeg are the most prominent. Also present are allspice, vanilla, molasses and maple syrup. Other than a lack of power brought about by a lack of bubbles, I like it.

It's a damn shame that these guys released such a potentially awesome brew when they had to know that it was horribly undercarbonated. In spite of that, AM's deliciousness is obvious. That is, if you like sweet, generously spiced pumpkin ales... which it isn't... but you get the idea.

Molasses and maple syrup ensure that this big ale is on the sweet side, although it's nowhere near as sweet as a big malty barleywine or some double stouts. It's doubtful that very much of either one was used or they would have overpowered the other ingredients. That sort of restraint was not used when it comes to the spices... and the beer is better for it.

The flavor profile consists of yams with a thin coating of maple syrup, golden brown sugar, a surprising amount of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a hint of clove from the Belgian yeast. The alcohol is buried (almost) without a trace. Oh, what depth and complexity might have been present if proper carbonation had created more volume.

Mouthfeel was bound to take a significant hit. However, it isn't as if the beer is totally flat, so I've decided to cut it some slack. As one who prefers fewer bubbles rather than more bubbles (in most cases), an average score seems reasonable.

I knew about the carbonation issue prior to purchasing this 750 ml bottle. I pulled the trigger anyway because the thought of a yam-based Belgian brown ale with a 'pumpkin ale' palette of spices sounded too good to pass up. If The Bruery fixes things with the next batch, look out. (2,364 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

750 ml bottle from Bev4less in Santee.

A cloudy brown pour with amber highlights and a very small beige head that suggests under-carbonation. The aroma is big with the distinctive bouquet of Belgian style yeasts, raisins, dates, some fruit notes that I can not put my finger on(yams perhaps) and brown sugar. The flavor like the aroma has that distinctive character that tells you this is a Belgian style concoction; this is a sweet brew with brown sugar, spices, molasses and dark fruits. The mouthfeel is full and smooth, the finish is long with lots of molasses.

While this is a sweet beer, it is not overpoweringly so, Autumn Maple is well balanced with spices and fruit. It kinda reminds me of Alpines Ichabod 2007 without the sour. I'd bet that it would make a great sour base beer to that extent. C'mon Patrick throw in some Brett and age it in Oak.

One last note--I'm not sure why this is classified as a pumpkin beer when the label states that there is no pumpkin used in the brewing. (998 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Aroma- Light alc. smell, tons of clove(well for me @ least) Maple is right on the nose, Sweet potato, Pumpkin.

Appearance- Nice brown color,with Orange Hue.

Taste- Pumpkin right away along with maple tones. I don't know if the beer is barrel aged but I get hints of oak and maybe sherry.

a very drinkable fall brew, for a 10% plus brew. (339 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at the brewery during AHA rally. It's thanksgiving in a glass. Orange amber color with a creamy tan head. Aroma is spices like pumpkin pie meets candied yams. Taste is rich, full malt, some sweetness, and yes you can taste the yams! Some alcohol. Full bodied and smooth for a beer that strong. (300 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tap at Toronado.

Dark brown with a nice tan head. Good clarity.

Smells of fall spices, yeast spiciness, and a earthy flavor. Some sweetness on the nose as well.

Taste was a little disspointed as I figured the beer would have more caramel flavors, and a little more yam. Taste is sweet with a slight carmel, spiciness from the spice additions and the yeast.

Mouthfeel is okay, but a little light for a big dark beer.

Drinkability is actually pretty good for a 10% beer. I would say that the sweetness is the only thing that kept me from having another.

I think the beer may have been a little cool and that I had some unfair expectations of what this beer was and should taste like. It was a good beer just not what I expected. (733 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap toronado SD, would love to try a bottle after a year in storage. As the toronado staff noted, this would be awesome with thanksgiving meal. A bit sweet, some spice but with great texture. Really interesting nose and sweet and lingering finish. Like a thanksgiving meal wrapped up into a brew. Very enjoyable. I don't have a lot of experience with this style brew. (370 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Joey for sending this bottle out to the Southeast. Arrived yesterday and immediatly thrown into the fridge. This one was served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass. Consumed on 11/08/2008.

The pour was rather uninspiring I have to admit. I had heard about the carbonation problems on this one, and it really hit home once I opened the bottle. No head, no foam, no bubbles, no nothing. Just a flat, lifeless, brown liquid. Nearly opaque in its darkness was the only saving grace to this one.

The aroma was pleasant, albeit a little lighter then I was expecting. Nice touches of molasses and maple syrup weighed in heavily, though the spices seemed to be all but covered up under a bit too hot alcohol profile. The flavor though started to redeem itself quite nicely. Rich notes of maple syrup and molasses washed over the tongue immediatly, falling into a spiced yam like flavor that was layered on top of a nice bready malt profile. Lots of alcohol in thiso ne, as the sips starting to warm as I went through it. The carbonation level came into play again in the feel as it just did not have any life to it and it really could have benefitted from this here. Still though, admirably sippable for sure.

Overall, I am looking forward to getting this one again next year, as this years batch has suffered far too greatly from lack of carbonation. It just felt lifeless and dull, which is a shame as this may have been a remarkable brew otherwise. (1,468 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +26.4%

Served on tap at the Bruery tasting room.

A: Nice brown color with a tint of rusty orange. Not much of a head, but some lingering foam throughout. Looks to be moderately carbonated.

S: Wow. This beer smells incredible. Take a bunch of cooked yams and coat them with about half a bottle of Aunt Jemima and take a big whiff. Other spices come through strong on the nose, cinnamon, vanilla, aroma of a fresh baked bread. Makes me hungry.

T: Thanksgiving dinner liquified. This is by far the best autumn beer tasted to date. The yams obviously plow through out of the gate, but as the beer warms and opens, all other spices really work well together. The beer literally melts in your mouth. With all the commotion, one can still appreciate that this is a belgian brown ale.

M: Perfect carbonation, like a soft cooked yam melts away on your tongue. Alcohol very well balanced for being a 10.5% monster. Give me a glass of this and send me to an apple orchard and I'm a happy man.

D: Very drinkable. Despite all the yam flavor and spices, the beer is not too thick that it is filling. Great from the tap.

Awesome beer, awesome brewery. Like whats going on there and look forward to many future offerings. (1,209 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -15%

Pours a light reddish brown. Almost no head. I'm noticing this with some of the Bruery beers. Not sure what's up with that, but I do like a bit of carbonation/head even with very strong brews (unless it's a stout, in which case I don't mind them completely black with only the slightest hint of bubbling murkiness. But I digress).

Smells like ... egads, insane yam smell. Taste brings some crazy spices. Cinnamon? Whoa, flavor explosion. This sucker tastes like it was poured straight from the fermenting vat into your mouth. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, considering the ABV and obvious amount of ingredients that went into it. I detected no maple syrup, though the beer was sweet.

**I just found some tasting notes on this that appear to be about a year old! In any event, repeated bottles demonstrated that the lack of carbonation was an endemic problem. Even on-tap, only mild carbonation, but really flat out of bottle. Will update review/scores. (948 characters)

Autumn Maple from The Bruery