Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

nwatson, Sep 20, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

WoodburyMN, Sep 18, 2012

On tap at The Bruery in Placentia, CA.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots and streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, yams, brown sugar, and spices. Taste is much the same with a mild spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink.

UCLABrewN84, Sep 18, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Presentation: 750 mL bottle, 2012 vintage. Served chilled and poured into my Portsmouth Brewery snifter glass and enjoyed over about an hour span as it warmed.

Appearance: Medium to dark brown in color with a nice beige head and good retention on the first pour.

Aroma: Big belgian yeast and clove notes upfront. Some toasted malt and a touch of yam, although not as much as the label would have me believe. Ginger, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg round out the spices. The booze is much stronger than I expected.

Taste: The belgian yeast is really strong here and paired with some really strong booze notes. I really expected the sweetness of the yams and the spice notes to round out the booze much better, but it's just not happening for me. The ginger and nutmeg give off some nice flavor, but also give off a strange bitterness. I wish I got more maple though. This just doesn't come together for me.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is on the lower side, with a pretty full body.

Overall, an interesting beer where the concept seems better than the execution. I wanted to like this beer a lot more than I did. The maple notes are barely there and the yams are lacking as well in my opinion, although I've never had a beer with yams so I don't know how qualified I am to judge that. The spice notes wear thin quickly and don't mesh as well with the base beer as I'd expect. I have another bottle and I think a couple years might really help smooth out the edges....hopefully.

Gosox8787, Sep 18, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +26%

ScottStache, Sep 16, 2012

iL0VEbeer, Sep 16, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

AdamP, Sep 16, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

Split a 750 ml poured into a duvel glass

A: pours a murky copper ish brown with a little over a finger of lightly tanned head. Dissapates into a lingering film, some spots of lacing.

S: notes of Belgian yeast come through at first, bannana peal and a slight hint of Clove, followed by an earthy yam aroma along with some faint spice notes, a light warming toastyness, dont really get much maple in the aroma... Out of the spices I can deffinatly notice some cinnamon, not a huge fan on the aroma here, dose not smell like something I am really goin to enjoy.

T: yah deffinatly note a huge fan here, everything I picked up on in the nose is intensified, especially the belgian yeast characteristics, I get a light hint of maple sweetness on the finish but I feel as though it is being overwhelmed by the yeast and spices, this beer doesn't feel rounded to me at all, a lot of flavor all over the place and none of them particuarly flavors I enjoy.

M: medium body with a medium carbonation the hits the tounge a bit sharply on the finish, that doesn't seem to complement the brew well, also I am left with a yammy aftertaste in my mouth that I do not find I credibly pleasant.

O: I do not like this beer, I feel like it is not very week rounded, the flavors clash, and the Belgian yeast overwhelms just about everything else.... Deffinatly my least favorite offering from the bruery...

PeterIngemi, Sep 16, 2012

Travisnin, Sep 13, 2012

On draft. 4 ounce pour in mini-snifter.
Appearance: Brushed copper with a thin ring of foam.
Smell: Smells like fall. Nutmeg and pumpkins. Imagine a pumpkin pie before it’s thrown in the oven.
Taste: Sweet caramel, nutmeg, allspice, with a little whiskey bite at the end. I love the soothing warmth it leaves. Like a liquid blanket on a cold day.
Mouthfeel: Sweet, smooth, and soft.
Overall: I love fall beers and this is one of my favorites. It’s not just pumpkin spices thrown into a brown ale and distributed for the season… it’s carefully crafted to compliment this time of year. Well done.

mhaugo, Sep 13, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Served from a bottle into a snifter

Lovely rusty amber colour with generous creamy head.

Smell of coriander, nutmeg, slight cinnamon, slight maple. Definite Belguim fruity scent.

First taste was ok. Needed to allow brew to warm a bit to get the full flavor. Maple came out along with the yam once warm.

Carbonation was adequate and not too thin.

Overall content with this brew but it's not my ab fav of the Oktoberfest beverages. Hybrids are a seasonal liking for me. Delicious at first then I get fatigued with the cinnamon, nutmeg, spice thing etc...only until Christmas hit the shelves. :o)

Fitwitchik, Sep 12, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Schlais, Sep 11, 2012

xdefeatsy, Sep 11, 2012

bobotron, Sep 09, 2012

sabitu, Sep 09, 2012

ZombiesAteMyDog, Sep 08, 2012

Poured from 750ml bottle into tulip - split between two people

2011 release -aged one year.

A: Pours a dark golden honey orange with one and a half finger head that descends into thin frothy lacing.

S: Cinnamon , allspice , coriander , yams , clove.

T: Pretty much follows the nose -Slight sweetness , brown sugar , allspice , maple syrup, clove , coriander, cinnamon , Yams .

O: Overall a different take on the Autumn seasonal that is usually Pumpkin forward , If you like sweet yams with marshmallow with your autumn seasonal meals you will enjoy this take on a seasonal brew .

Although it's slightly different than a typical pumpkin beer it's enjoyable and a nice sipper when the northern winds tend to send a chill around the globe.

InebriatedJoker, Sep 03, 2012

beerpadawan, Aug 27, 2012

scottiethebody, Aug 24, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

MYJELLOMISFIT, Aug 15, 2012

Nickfellow007, Aug 14, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Bottle into oversized wine glass (didn't feel like doing dishes, sue me.)

A: cloudy warm brown with a finger width head of a fluffy light creme colored head that dissipates to minimal lacing.

S: candied yams, warm bright spice, very appropriate for the theme of the beer (should be a 4.25)

T: sweet potato pie with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

M: medium-heavyish with light crisp carbonation.

O: for what they're going for, a great effort. This is a beer that you can enjoy at thanksgiving after the turkey, but it's so specific that it limits itself as far as drinkability. I couldn't have it every day or every month for that matter, but I think this will be poured come November.

ediaz, Aug 06, 2012