Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros

Netdigger2, Oct 26, 2013

Teleweizen2, Dec 05, 2011

target88, Dec 05, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured from 750 ml bottle.

A: Thick iron rust red with not much white head.

S: Maple syrup, banana yeasts, molasses, mulling spices, autumn leaves and dew, and suggestion of phenols.

T: Sweet, saccharine alcoholic bread with strong Belgian spices, pepper, and ever-present phenols. Sweetness is always perceptible but not overpowering. An incredible brew.

M: Medium bodied with an effervescent carbonated bite near the end that leaves the tongue numb.

D: This is a fantastic beer, especially when it warms up so that all the phenolic goodness is there. Wonderful sipper and one of the better Belgian-style brews I've tried, despite it being a domestic brewery.

thekanna, Nov 03, 2010
4.56/5  rDev +21%

I really like yams and maple. I do NOT like any pumpkin beer I've tried other than Heirloom Pumpkin Barley Wine ( almanac).

This is a very complex, Belgian yesat, copper colored, malt-forward, not too sweet, yammy, maple concoction: barrel aged. It still tastes like beer, excellent beer. It does not taste or resemble most pumpkin beers in any fashion.

From first frost until sugaring season, I'm apt to pull one out of the cellar to pair with duck, turkey, roast pork.

IMHO, the Bruery makes great beers. This is one of the more under- appreciated examples.

Jjski, Dec 03, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +22%

On tap at Tripel in Playa Del Rey served in a tulip glass. First pours off a fresh keg, not cold.
The hazy brown color bode well, a yam ale should be unclear. The smell was lightly spiced.
The taste started lightly spiced like the smell, then the sweet maple flavor came thru and it was warming, wonderful and washed over my taste buds like syrup, not the mouth feel but everything else I like about it. Each sip was better and better as it warmed.
We had 2 more and each was better but I wouldn't recommend doing that again as the 10% abv in this libation had us feeling very festive.

FridayDave, Jan 01, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +23.3%

Wow! This was one of my top beers for 2009. I was really hoping for something big, malty, and sweet. This delivered. The candied yam and maple taste covered the alcohol pretty well. That's why this could be a dangerous beer if you're not careful. I would have liked to have had this on tap. I will def have to try the other Bruery beers that are available in the Chucktown area.

JISurfer, Dec 21, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +23.3%

appearance is very cloudy with a deep brown hue and a very tan head that is creamy and thin yet sticks around for a fair while leaving a large sheet of lacing.

Wowwza! lots of yammy, cinnamon and nutmeg and nutmeg goodness on the nose. no hop character to be spoken of truly. sweet and spicey, in the simplest of terms. smells like sweet potato pie, and I shut my mouth.

the taste takes on a much more malty character, some caramel and toffee bits. lots of spice again, nutmeg and cinnamon. there is a particular sweetness that the yams lend to this beer, sort of borderline tartness with a highly sugary content. also the molasses seems to leave a lightly bitter bite on the finish. I love sweet potato pie.

the mouthfeel is smooth as silk, lots of creamy goodness with a fairly thin body. light carbonation and a sweet finish. I don't even need to wait for thanksgiving.

super drinkable. Almost as much as a sweet potato pie is eatable.

Awesome beer, if you don't like pumpkin beers, this one isn't for you. If you don't like sweet potato pie, then you need to go kill yourself. Seriously, I think I'm gonna go put some whipped cream on this mug.

ryanonline, Sep 24, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +24.1%

Poured from a crowned 750ml bottle (Bottled On: 07/15/13) into a 16oz New Belgium globe

A- A conservative decanting from the bottle yields a hazy deep bronze hued beer with nothing more than a single finger's worth of a khaki colored head. Due to the nucleation in the glass, a thin sea-foam textured head remains on the surface of the beer for the duration. 4.25

S- Yammy! The aroma is not much different from a dish of candied yams that Grandma makes...yams/sweet potatoes, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, marshmallow and a hint of butter thrown in for good measure. 4.5

T- While Southern Tier's Pumking nails a dessert in a glass, Autumn Maple replicates a liquid version of that popular sweet and savory side dish which accompanies many a Thanksgiving spread. The complex flavor profile mimics everything detected in the aroma. The sweetness is surprisingly tamed perfectly by the conservative additions of the (common) spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and a splash of ginger. A complex brew such as this affords a delicate and lingering finish, balanced by the sweet/savory notes with a spicy/dry finish. 4.75

M- Combined with a nucleated glass and bottle conditioning, a perfect mouthfeel is achieved. The medium-to-full body of the beer (after all, it is 10%ABV) sits well on the palate and is perfect for the dark and cold months of the year. 4.75

O- Next to Uinta's Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin, The Bruery's Autumn Maple stands as a close second (Samuel Adams Fat Jack rounds out my top three for pumpkin/gourdy ales). Despite reviewing a bottle "past it's prime," this beer ages exceptionally well and suits a sub-zero winter just as much as a cool autumn. Along with Uinta and Anchorage, The Bruery stands to be one of my top three breweries in 2013. Regardless of style, I encourage you all to give The Bruery serious consideration...it is worth it! 4.75

threeviews, Jan 24, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +24.7%

Served on tap into a snifter

A- Poured a really intense dark orange brown color reminiscent of pumpkin pie with off-white soapy head that left a little bit of spotty lace.

S- Huge aroma of ginger, allspice, nutmeg, pumpkin pie, and sweet potato. This smells like Thanksgiving.

T- Big ginger notes, allspice, some nutmeg, big pumpkin pie and sweet potato notes, some maple sweetness, spicy belgian yeast notes, and pie crust flavor. Moderate bitterness on the finish that I think cuts the sweetness very well.

M- Very dry, some nice alcohol warming, pretty smooth, and soft carbonation. This goes down so easy for 10% ABV.

O- While not properly a pumpkin beer this is the best pumpkin (or yam) beer I have ever had. Very balanced flavor profile between the spices, sweetness from the yams and maple syrup, and bitterness. Very complex and easy to drink.

Hoptometrist, Oct 18, 2013
4.74/5  rDev +25.7%

From the local watering hole on tap. Pub Pint.

One taste and I ordered a growler to go.

It was like I walked into our local apple orchard store and someone hit me in the face with a pumpkin pie and dozen apple crisp donuts. Then told me it wasn't made from either.

Not a big fan of the fruit and veggie beers. I was really surprised at how well this beer was done. Pumpkin, sweet potato, ginger, brown sugar, maple all the wonderful smells of fall.

A must have for anyone who likes the pumpkin style beers, perfect for autumn.

SoCold, Oct 21, 2013

Skrypt, May 07, 2013

snarkout, Aug 01, 2014

qazeqaz, Feb 17, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

Served on tap at the Bruery tasting room.

A: Nice brown color with a tint of rusty orange. Not much of a head, but some lingering foam throughout. Looks to be moderately carbonated.

S: Wow. This beer smells incredible. Take a bunch of cooked yams and coat them with about half a bottle of Aunt Jemima and take a big whiff. Other spices come through strong on the nose, cinnamon, vanilla, aroma of a fresh baked bread. Makes me hungry.

T: Thanksgiving dinner liquified. This is by far the best autumn beer tasted to date. The yams obviously plow through out of the gate, but as the beer warms and opens, all other spices really work well together. The beer literally melts in your mouth. With all the commotion, one can still appreciate that this is a belgian brown ale.

M: Perfect carbonation, like a soft cooked yam melts away on your tongue. Alcohol very well balanced for being a 10.5% monster. Give me a glass of this and send me to an apple orchard and I'm a happy man.

D: Very drinkable. Despite all the yam flavor and spices, the beer is not too thick that it is filling. Great from the tap.

Awesome beer, awesome brewery. Like whats going on there and look forward to many future offerings.

goodspeed94, Nov 09, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

Holy sh*t. These past couple of years, I've been a huge pumpkin beer fan. I went into New Beer in NYC and asked the owner what's a beer that's rare and going quick and he pointed me to this. Thank the LORD.

Pour is beautiful. The perfect amount of head, sustained, right into a tulip glass. Lacing is perfect, sustained streaks on the side of the glass.

Aroma - as advertised. Maple syrup, yam, autumnal spices...all mixed perfectly.

Full disclosure, I drank a Cigar City Good Gourd quickly after this so I may have killed some of the Bruery's flavors too soon. That said, I remember a perfectly balanced beer, the yam flavor mixed well with the sugar from the molasses. A perfect example of an autumnal beer, not too sweet, not too pumpkin-y. Could have many more of these.

MrELovesBeer, Sep 22, 2011
4.81/5  rDev +27.6%

The Bruery makes amazing brews and this is one of my favorites. First of all, the Fall is my favorite season and this beer compliments that time of the year perfectly (in my opinion). The appearance is like that of the brilliant maple leaf as it falls from the limb to the ground. Aromas of boozy autumn flavors fill the air and warms my palate as it flows throughout. The best part is that I found this gem in the cooler hidden behind other beers and paid less than $10 for it... Nice!

vgarneth, Jan 18, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +28.1%

Well it has been some time since I have had a Pumpkin beer or a "Fall Beer" but I say this should be called Yam Maple to remove the seasonality from the title. This beer is fantastic

Pours a Red hazy hue with a strong white head of large bubbles.
Aroma of Yams, sweet potato, maple, cinnamon, nutmeg, belgian yeast and sweet malt. This is a bounty of sweet aromas that I have not smelled in about two months since I had my last "fall beer"...

Taste is very similar to the aroma. No flavor is overpowering the other, a very well balanced Belgian Strong Ale with flavors of Sweet potato, Maple syrup, Cinnamon, brown sugar, lightly roasted malts and caramelized sugars.

My tastes are slightly different from the average beer connoisseur but I would drink Fall brews all year long. This fine brew has good carbonation, nice body and is very drinkable. I brewed a strong pumpkin ale that this comes very close to in flavor. Will be looking forward to stocking up on these next fall.

alpinebryant, Mar 18, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +31.3%

Just cracked this a couple days ago on the back deck on one of these beautiful early autumn nights with a friend. Cellared two years and I don't know if it has improved dramatically, but this was a beauty of a beer. Read about ten past user reviews and think they are downright nuts.

Although it is not truly a "pumpkin beer" - the yams fill in quite admirably here with regards to fall harvest vegetables. Unfiltered with a beautiful bright orange color - it is an unbelievably nuanced and balanced beer. Aroma, flavor, texture - everything just clicked. By far the best "pumpkin beer" I have ever tried - far outranked the Southern Tier Pumking, which was one of my favorites last year (yet has changed this release being remarkedly more vanilla flavored).

It does not look like Georgia will be getting any of this gem, at least from what I can tell from my vantage point. I have another couple Bruery selections in the cellar now for two years - Rugbrod will be next.

JackRose, Oct 01, 2011