Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,829 | Reviews: 588
2.82/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from a bomber bottle.

A - nice light brown/deep amber color. sparkling with a quick head formation and equally as quick dissapation. Bit of lacing hangs on the top.

S - what a shock, it smell like vegetables and some sweetnees. I would say maple syrup or molasses but definitely sweet.

T/M - like drinking liquid sugar. i feel diabetic now. molasses and yam flavor comes rushing in to the room, beats up all the spices and beer flavor and drags their corspes down your throat in a sticky ooze. Flavor hangs for a while but cleans up nicely. Second sip isn't any easier, but the maple comes through. Full bodied and syrupy.

D - Not really.

2.83/5  rDev -24.9%

Split a 750 ml poured into a duvel glass

A: pours a murky copper ish brown with a little over a finger of lightly tanned head. Dissapates into a lingering film, some spots of lacing.

S: notes of Belgian yeast come through at first, bannana peal and a slight hint of Clove, followed by an earthy yam aroma along with some faint spice notes, a light warming toastyness, dont really get much maple in the aroma... Out of the spices I can deffinatly notice some cinnamon, not a huge fan on the aroma here, dose not smell like something I am really goin to enjoy.

T: yah deffinatly note a huge fan here, everything I picked up on in the nose is intensified, especially the belgian yeast characteristics, I get a light hint of maple sweetness on the finish but I feel as though it is being overwhelmed by the yeast and spices, this beer doesn't feel rounded to me at all, a lot of flavor all over the place and none of them particuarly flavors I enjoy.

M: medium body with a medium carbonation the hits the tounge a bit sharply on the finish, that doesn't seem to complement the brew well, also I am left with a yammy aftertaste in my mouth that I do not find I credibly pleasant.

O: I do not like this beer, I feel like it is not very week rounded, the flavors clash, and the Belgian yeast overwhelms just about everything else.... Deffinatly my least favorite offering from the bruery...

2.87/5  rDev -23.9%

Appearance: Pour is near flat. Not a good start. From skimming a few reviews, this seems to be a common theme, and negatively impacts all scores, particularly mouthfeel and drinkability. Even with that, a nice autumn-colored beer. Lets call it a wash and go for "average"

Smell: Would have guessed pumpkin ale, but I guess it is yams. I think it is more the cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg that give it the pumpkin pie feeling. Bit of molasses, maple syrup, and vanilla as well.

Taste: Similar to the smell, tastes near pumpkin-ale with lots of brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Bit of toffee. Definitely some maple syrup, vanilla, and molasses. A bit sweet. Would love to see what actually goes into this one.

Mouthfeel: Near flat. Completely kills the beer.

Drinkability: Just can't drink it near-flat. If they are confirmed to fix this, I will give it another try. Category is BSDA? Really?

Tried the 2010 version, it was carbonated but smell and taste are worse.

2.88/5  rDev -23.6%

750ml. Cloudy dark orange pour, nice off white head and some lacing. Aroma has some pumpkin, nutmeg, allspice with sweet potato fries. Not really any aromas you'd expect to accompany a beer. Taste has some of the aroma, but also has a sour note that just lingers throughout. Candy sweet, no maple or malt sweetness. Fairly clean though, light bodied, right at the end of the spectrum of acceptable carbonation. Alcohol is not real apparent. I'm going to really struggle finishing the whole bottle. Sweet with sour and the Belgian yeast really just doesn't do it for me. Definetely one to share with others. Interesting and worth trying, but I think there are many reviews here that want this to be better than it really is.

2.89/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The thing about this beer is, it tastes a lot like most fall, pumpkin/squash beers.
and the heavy alcohol taste is not very appealing when it comes to being a drinkable beer.

It pours a dark brown, with a golden tint to it.

Smells kinda nice. It has those herbal spices, maybe a faint maple or "molasses" .
It also smells like it might have a heavy alcohol content.

The thing I don't like about the taste, is that the 10% alcohol is kind of in your face.
There are cinnamon and other spices apparent, and a faint taste that I get from most pumpkin/squash beers. I can taste a bit of good things going on in here, but its a little overpowered.

The mouthfeel was not that pleasant, and the people with me agreed.

2.97/5  rDev -21.2%

pours a cloudy dark copper-brown with a small beige-yellow head, and some lacing.

smell is of pumpkin, spice, malt, and a touch of caramel.

taste is smooth, lots of pumpkin, maple syrup, spice, and some malt, end is dry.

overall to much vegetable for me.

2.98/5  rDev -21%

S: Belgian phenolics, spiciness, some clove and cinnamon.

L: Cloudy brown, off-white creamy head with great retention and lacing.

T: Sweet, brown sugar like malt with some spices. Medium spicy bitterness leading to some "pumpkin pie" like notes. Touch of tartness detectable finishing dry and quite spicy.

M: Medium high carbonation, prickly on the palate.

Interesting, but not something I could drink a lot of. Kind of messy with the belgian phenolics and the pumpkin pie like taste.

2.98/5  rDev -21%

I was very excited to try this beer since it was brewed with yams, spices, and maple. However, I was very disappointed when the it poured with no head whatsoever. Little to no carbonation. Great aroma and flavors going on, but it tasted like a beer right after fermentation - flat and sweet. The beer is bottle conditioned so maybe I got one that just didn't carbonate. Gave it a 1.5 on drinkability because my friends and I had to dump it down the drain. Sad.

It would be better if the molasses flavor didn't overpower the maple. I like it otherwise. Maybe it's a California thing, but he molasses hit my palate first which was not what I expected.

The bottle I had this year was a 1.5, the 2013 draft pour I just had was a 4.25.

Poured crisply - had a nice sweet smell of the yams it boasted as well as everything autumnal, but the taste sadly washed down with more of a cough medicine sensation - very sugary, a little too much for my taste. And the taste lingered for a little longer than I would've liked as well.

3.02/5  rDev -19.9%

Purchased the bottle a few weeks ago in Santee. Was in the mood for some holiday beers and binged on about a half dozen bottles, including this one.

Aroma: Faint caramel with hints of raisins and other dried fruit. Medium esters with slight tangy notes, reminiscent of belgians but not overtly so. Some slight spice, but subdued.

Appearance: ZERO head, not even the faintest ppffftt when uncapping. murky brown color with some orange tint. Kinda like muddy water.

Flavor: Tangy sourness is most apparent. A little insipid, but some caramel maltiness is apparent. Brown sugar is subtle and blends with esters to produce dark fruit character. Overall, not too pleasant. Can't really taste spices or maple.

Mouthfeel: Full body, but totally lacking carbonation which should be evident in a belgian inspired style. Problem with bottling line as some other reviewer noted? Alcoholc warmth is smoot and background.

Overall, not especially pleased given the price, but I like supporting local beers. So will try again next year (if its around) to see if problems solved.

3.02/5  rDev -19.9%

Picked up a bottle of this at TW for a discounted price, due to it's "off-seaon." Poured into a chalice. Pours a dark, murky brownish-orange with a 2-finger width tan head on top. No retention whatsoever. No lace. The nose is really sweet, but not maple, as I expected. More like plum, stawberry, vanilla. Subtle spiciness on the finish.

The mouth is way carbonated, to the point of almost being harsh. This smooths out on the finish though. The maple is also absent in the flavor. I expected this aspect to be more pronounced. Some cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and yeast. Yeast is all over the place. I was instructed to take care pouring this one out to leave the yeast in the bottle, but my best try was a failure I guess. Alcohol is hidden well. One glass was fine enough for me. I don't think I'll revisit this one again. Where's the maple? Where's the yams? I had high hopes, but it left me wanting much more out of it.

3.04/5  rDev -19.4%

I saved my only bottle of this for thanksgiving. Poured dark brown with absolutely no carbonation. Smells and tastes very nice. Perfect thanksgiving flavors - yams, spices, maple syrup. Really creative idea. Unfortunately the near total absence of carbonation makes this practically undrinkable. It's like a syrupy yam juice. Very disappointing to spend $15 on this, especially since I seem to recall reading that the brewer has acknowledged the carbonation problem. The price should be drastically cut. Couldn't even finish a glass of this, so we used the remainder in our turkey gravy - a task for which this beer is much better suited. The gravy turned out great. Highly recommend using this beer for cooking.

3.04/5  rDev -19.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2010 vintage. Shared with alfrantzell (Arne) and chswimmer (Ted).

A: Pours a deep amber body with a light beige head that retains poorly, but keeps a nice cap and collar on the brew as I sip.

S: Definitely an autumnal aroma; it reminds me of a pumpkin beer in its spice combination of cinnamon and nutmeg. I got a touch of maple or molasses, yam (this reminded me of The Vine from a long time ago), and vanilla. Quite nice on the nose.

T: The taste is a bit of a letdown. It's underattenuated and sweet. The spices noted in the nose take some of the edge off; cinnamon and clove lend a light bite that gives the impression of finishing dry, but after several sips it becomes apparent that that isn't the case. The maple and molasses dominate. After a while it got to be too rich to my palate.

M: Carbonation is low for a BSDA, but this is somewhat of a mutant attempt at the style, so I'll let it pass. It brings out the flavors quite a bit, but it emphasizes how heavy the beer is, which is a drawback. I'll call it a wash.

D: None of us cared for it; it's not offensive, just "there." I could have finished it, but I wasn't excited enough to do so. Most of the bottle went down the drain so we could move to something else. I think I'm just not in the target market for this heavy sipper; won't buy again.

3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

a- 750ml bottle poured into a snifter, one finger head fades to uneven, bubbly lace and a ring around the glass, murky walnut coloring.

s- belgian brown with a twist, really deep inhale only gives a scant hint of maple syrup and yams, mostly getting the typical yeasty, bready, spicy notes.

t- brown, pretty much what i get in the nose, on the backend i get some yams and maple spice, really yeasty and bready, sweet.

m- medium bodied.

d- not quite sure why but this wasn't that drinkable for me, i couldn't have more than one glass, i even paired it with food - drank this on Thanksgiving. Okay beer, just not up my alley.

3.06/5  rDev -18.8%

A- Brew pours out about 2 1/2 fingers of light caramel head, drops down to a thin cap. The brew itself does remind me of the fall. It's got dark red and orange maple leaf highlights, little bit turbid. Evident carbonation, no lacing.

S- Caramel malt upon first whiff. Lots of spices, and definitely some yams. A tiny bit of syrup on the back end. Theres some pie crust in here too. Call me strange but I also get a hint of cloves, and a bit of a Belgian profile as well.

T- Whooooaaa yammy! Yams, yams, and more yams. Some mild spice tones, cinnamon, pepper, maybe some coriander. The yams seem to cal down as the beer warms. The maple is underlying everything, I'd prefer it more pronounced. A little bit of booze on the backend.

M- The mouth is medium in body, carbonation is in the aftertaste. The sweetness is teetering on cloying, making this one a sipper.

O- Ehhh don't think this is all my style. I was hoping for a lot more maple syrup, but the yams are a tad too much. Not so much a bad beer, but not a good one. I could see the variations being better perhaps, but I'll never her my hands on them.

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

Not my favorite - ended up trying to finishing most of the bottle myself cause the wife hated it. Was OK paired with some dark chocolate, but all the unique flavors never really came together.

3.09/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

12/27/08- Purchased at Holiday Wine and Spirits in Escondido, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with no freshness info. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Murky-clouded deep caramel colored pour. Light bubbles come out during the pour, but only a super slight rim of head appears and then disappears before you can say a word. Looks rather lifeless and leaves some light lace spotting behind.

Smell- Nose is pretty good with some brown sugar, mollasess and some sweet potato like earthy scent. Smells quite sweet.

Taste- Flavor is about what the nose predicts. Very sweet and very strong in the sugary mollasess dept. Tastes like some light pumpkin-yam flavor and is a bit spicy as well.

Mouthfeel- Damn lifeless. Only a slight trace of carbonation. This is one beer that truly needs some carbonation. Just sugary and sickening without fizz.

Drinkability- Managed about half the bottle before I had to drain pour it. Flavor was fine...and for someone who loves low carbonation and cask conditioned ales, I couldn't do this one. Could be a very good beer. Take notes Bruery as this isn't the only BA that has encountered this.

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from the 750 mL bomber into my Russian River pint glass.

A - Pours a deep amber/red color with a fingers worth of off-white head, which quickly fades to a very light coating at the top of the glass. Looks like a cross between a fruit beer and brown ale.

S - Nose is very faint. Not a potent scent at all. Dominant smell is nutty, with the spices coming through more potently than anything else. Reminds me of the fall. Though not very potent, the scent that is present is very pleasant and balanced.

T - Taste is pretty boozy. The harsh alcohol is followed by a very spicy maple taste, which is backed by the nutty flavor of a more typical brown ale. Normally I don't mind a harsh alcohol taste, but in this one it's just a bit too much. It is difficult to get past this and into the other flavors. I do pick up a bit of dark fruit as well. Probably should have let this one sit for a couple years.

*Note - Once I poured the bottom of the bottle, there seemed to be a much better balance to the beer. Perhaps I would have been better off swirling as I poured.

M - Consistent with the boozy taste, this one burns quite a bit in the mouth. As mentioned before, I normally don't mind some burn, but this is a bit over the top.

O - Overall a pretty big disappointment for me. I will revisit this one when I can let a bottle sit for a couple years and see if the extra age on it helps mellow out the boozy bite.

3.11/5  rDev -17.5%

One finger head dissipates quickly to leave wisps of foam atop the warm dark amber beer.Candied sugar, strong sweet caramel, and baking spices greet the nose. Candied sugar, molasses, caramel, allspice, and cinnamon start the flavor parade. I got some yams as it warmed, along with a hint of the base malt which was reminiscent of a double amber, coppery flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty balanced. I assume the ABV has a hand in this since carbonation is not visibly active.

I am not one for pumpkin or spiced beers, so I came with low expectations. With that in mind, this is an OK beer, and definitely one of the best spiced beers I've had. Far too often, the brewer gets a little too spice happy when brewing a beer such as this, so I'm happy to see a little restraint from The Bruery. They didn't restrain themselves too much though, since a quick look at the ABV and ingredient list will clue you in that this is not your normal winter warmer. Good for The Bruery for trying something new and doing it successfully, even if it's not perfect.

3.13/5  rDev -17%

Picked up during a sally into Packer-land, as little across the border as I could get. Glad to see they've picked up The Bruery, I've grabbed a few of them now; they've been hit & miss for me. What do I hold now? Triple? Or a whiff? Split in twain with my wife.

Pour is a striking, pin-up quality auburn; I should mention the last few ounces remain in the heavy bottle. Smell shouts of cinnamon & allspice, one of the few times I could pick out individual spices without resorting to the label; yowza. Maple comes in underneath. Not much hint of anything beer-related, interestingly.

Autumn Maple should be renamed Autumn Yams. Holy rabbit pellets. I am going to pause for a word from our sponsor, & to pick my taste buds out of the soles of my feet. Sheeeeiite. OK, OK, ready for another sip now. Well, I think I've learned something tonight: I'm not terribly fond of yams. Actually, I've never had them, but that has to be the roughshod vegetable taste in this brew. The under-ingredients leaven it & save it somewhat. The cinnamon & allspice come through again, along with less specific spices. The maple arrives late, & only faintly. Earthiness, nuttiness slip in & out. Yams seize control again on the backside.

Like a few of the beers from the Bruery I haven't enjoyed, this one is also carbonated with the aggressiveness of a bull-fighter. Slap-happy in the mouth, which is a bit at odds with a cold-weather sipper. Surprisingly drinkable for what it is.

Which is a circus-show. Put up a tent, watch the trapeze artists, guzzle some Autumn Maple! Seriously strange. Not good, but certainly not bad; points for boldness, at least. I'm going to call it decent, but no single adjective, verb, interjection, or gerund could possible describe it.

3.16/5  rDev -16.2%

When poured, a dark, hazy maple brow with very little foam and absoutle no lace. The smell had a sour/sweet aroma, with maple and spices. The taste had a sweet/sour/salty flavor of sweet/sour/salty spices, maple and candy. This Fruit/Vegetable Beer was to sour/salty for my palate. The flavor was short, but the saltyness just stayed to long on the aftertaste. For me a waste of money and time!

3.17/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a deep brownish-red, pink highlights. 1-finger beige head quickly forms to a thin ring, no lace.

Smell is a bit odd but intriguing, dark fruit, dark bread, some spice and tartness...only a hint of what's to come.

Taste has alot more to it, but is quite bizarre... dark fruit, licorice, tons of fall and winter spice, potpourri, a bit of funky tartness, medicinal notes. Not really my cup of tea but the complexity/oddness kept me sipping.

Oily mouthfeel, high carbonation, some booze but felt lower than 10.5%.

I can appreciate this for it's originality, I've never had a beer quite like this. But this is pretty wacky, and overspiced in my opinion.

3.17/5  rDev -15.9%

Had this at Liquid Bread in DT Campbell.

Smelled wayyyy better than it was. Good, but not awesome. Way too sweet for my taste, but it has its place. Breakfast beer maybe? I'd try it with my waffle/pancake breakfast.

Had to have been 29 pounds of yams!, super sweet. Way more so than a typical barley wine, and those I have trouble with at times.

Good beer if you like sweet sticky beer.

Would give it another shot, this time with breakfast.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery