Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Reviews: 603 | Hads: 1,934
3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours murky brown with absolutely no head. Maple syrup and pumkins are prevalent in the nose, as is molasses and spice. You can really taste the yams, and I'm not sure that's a good thing when it comes to beer. Heavily spiced, nutmeg, cinnamon, and very sweet due to the maple syrup. The flatness of the mouthfeel really detracts from the beer as there is no carbonatin at all. I applaud the attempt but I will not be gettign this one again.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

I've been paying attention to The Bruery ever since tasting their outstanding Orchid White a few months back. It also helps that I live pretty close to their brewery in Southern California. This one's a bit of a misfire. It sounds great on the lable, "Belguim style brown ale brewed with molasses, maple syrup and spices." I can totally see myself ripping that recipe out of a homebrew magazine and brewing it on a Sunday afternoon with the NFL on in the background. Unfortunately, like a lot of beers that stray a little too far from the Reinheitsgebot, this one sounds a lot better than it tastes. It pours nice, good head...dark orangish brown hue...just what you'd expect from an Autumn Maple. The nose has a lot of maple/malt, not much fruit/yeast or hops. The taste is not very nuanced...heavy on the maple. Maple syrup imparts a very distinct flavor on beer but the flavor isn't exacly maple. I'm not sure what it is but it isn't good. You can taste a little of the yams and that's interesting. Apparently this one can be cellared for up to 5 years...maybe it will mellow into something a little more interesting with age.

Recommended Music Pairing - Wilco - Being There

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

750ml bottle that I've cellared for 1 year, poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Autumn Maple is ruby with a very creamy, light tan head that leaves light lace.

Smell is very spicy, sweet brown sugar, and the yam has a over ripe vegetable quality to it.

Taste is okay, not as enjoyable as I remember it fresh, it seems a bit disjointed. There's a pithy Belgian ester that I enjoy, and the spices are very strong, cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is slick, a bit sticky, on the heavier side.

Drinkability is OK, although it's honestly a bit disappointing. I don't know if it's aged pourly or if it was too late in the night when I had it the first time, but I've got 4 more, so I hope it improves! Right now it just tastes a bit to heavy and sharply flavored.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Served in 10oz goblet. Poured a lightly hazy mahogany color with just a thin cap of light tan head that had low retention and OK lacing.

The aroma was on the sweet side, a nice base earthiness, with a tinge of yeast and a faint veggie aspect. I didn't pick up any maple in the scent. The flavors were basically the same, there were some hops poking through, the yeast was a bit bolder, and a certain sharpness at the back. Again, I didn't pick up any maple in the taste.

The body was nicely medium and very smooth. Drinkability was good, but I probably won't have another. Overall, I was a bit unimpressed with this bee, but you may like more than I did. Worth a shot if you see it.

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

750 mL bottle pours a very hazed brown color with a bubbly tan head. Fades pretty fast to a nice sheen.

Nose has a yeasty, spice bite with plenty of sweet maple and coriander perhaps. Strongly spiced and has some earhty undertones, perhaps from the sweet potatoes.

Taste is both heavy on the sweetness and spicing. Syrupy even. Yeasty, fruity, bready and doughy with a full body. Lots of character here and makes for an interesting quaff, but I am not a huge fan. ABV is well masked, although it is still a sipper. Not sure how many times I would buy it at 12 bucks a bottle, but fun to try at least once or twice.

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Had this a few months ago, so reviewing from notes. 750ml bottle poured into a snifter

A: Pours a mostly opaque mahogany. The initial 1 finger head turns to a thin layer within minutes. No retention whatsoever

S: Mostly earthy notes. Maybe it's the yam used in brewing, but I wouldn't make that distinction without the notes on the bottle. There is also some spice mixed in. Subtle dark fruit and sugar sweetness accompanies this

T: Lots of spices start this off - pepper, allspice. Some molasses flavor. I get more of a sweet potato flavor opposed to yam, but I guess they are pretty close. Noticed a touch of heat and belgian yeast after a few sips. Not really doing it for me

M: Medium bodied. Active, bubbly carbonation. Dry finish

D: This was certainly a change from the normal autumn seasonal. However, I'll stick to my pumpkin beers. The yam flavor just doesn't work well in beer

3.2/5  rDev -15.6%

Tonight I reached for a glass in my collection that I only used a few times, a super cool Westmalle Belgian goblet that was made just for these styled ales. It has all different kinds of leafs and designs cut into the very thick glass which just adds to the overall beauty and always delivers a nice thick head. A little bit on the heavier side for glassware but it's still a great chalice for any Belgian ale. Continuing on, I pulled the cap off the 750ml bottle and was greeted with a generous amount of hissing and carbonation which is great for this style of beer. On the pour I decided to tilt the large chalice making sure to not over flow it with head. When I was done, there was a thin half finger thick bone white head that dissipated very quickly to almost nothing after a few minutes. When I hold the chalice up to the light the beautiful deep amber, slightly hazy deep reddish orange colored ale glimmers in the light. This really reminds me of fresh orange blossom honey minus the thickness of course. On a quick check the viscosity appears to be pretty light and only leave a little bit of lacing on the walls which is surprising for such a high ABV beer.

On the front end of this aroma I am picking up loads of sugary molasses and caramelized brown sugar. Almost like the syrup you smother your sweet potatoes and burnt marshmallows with at thanksgiving time. There is a touch of citrus hiding through all the spices as well (from the hops?). Some vanilla is present but nothing overdone, and a small amount of nutmeg rounds out the finish.

Hmm, its pumpkin pie-esque but not like most of the other commercial types of beers out there. In my opinion, many are overdone and too spice forward which really ruins the body and overall flavor. This on the other hand is mild and subdued with the yam flavors and spices which I do enjoy. The only complaints I have are that this is entirely under carbonated and has a slight acidic twang in the finish that I just can't put my finger on. In the finish a oxidized flavor is pushing through that I am not really liking and the cloying sweetness is starting to get to me.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy pumpkin and other spiced beers but I am going to say that this one isn't one of my favorites. I had the pleasure to try the bourbon barrel aged version of this and thought it was out of this world. It just seems the regular version isn't quite what I hoped it would be. As I always say, maybe you want to give it a shot and disregard my experience. Just because I don't like this one a lot doesn't mean you won't. So go out on a limb and try something different and see if this is up your ally.

3.22/5  rDev -15%

Huge, rich, and sweet concoction. Tastes very yammy, now that you mention it. Hard to reconcile the candied yam flavor with something you're drinking in a beer glass. The sweetness is just so overpowering. Such intensity of flavor it's a little too close to cough syrup. Nice hazy orangey amber in the glass.

Fascinating flavor if you're keeping a life list of peculiar beer flavorings, but not very drinkable. For the right occasion it might be memorable, though. Out of the bottle at Bottlecraft in in Little Italy, San Diego.

3.22/5  rDev -15%

Pours a light reddish brown. Almost no head. I'm noticing this with some of the Bruery beers. Not sure what's up with that, but I do like a bit of carbonation/head even with very strong brews (unless it's a stout, in which case I don't mind them completely black with only the slightest hint of bubbling murkiness. But I digress).

Smells like ... egads, insane yam smell. Taste brings some crazy spices. Cinnamon? Whoa, flavor explosion. This sucker tastes like it was poured straight from the fermenting vat into your mouth. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, considering the ABV and obvious amount of ingredients that went into it. I detected no maple syrup, though the beer was sweet.

**I just found some tasting notes on this that appear to be about a year old! In any event, repeated bottles demonstrated that the lack of carbonation was an endemic problem. Even on-tap, only mild carbonation, but really flat out of bottle. Will update review/scores.

3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

I've had this one for quite some time now and seeing as how my new Bruery tulip just showed up a few days ago, I thought I'd christen it with this brew...

This has more Belgian Strong Dark aromas coming off it than anything else... Loads of yeast and sugars... hints of the sweet potatoes for sure as well along with the usual suspects of cinnamon and nutmeg... Unusual but not particularly exciting...

Again, I get more Belgian than anything.... It's pretty tasty but there's something just not put together right here... I'm getting the yams but the spice ratios don't seem right to me.. At least that's what I'm getting... Others seem to disagree with me which is OK too...

Fairly average really to me... One of the main brews I traded for and at least I know now what it's all about...

3.24/5  rDev -14.5%

bottle into westmalle chalice

odd looking belgian dark. a diaphanous medium brown, with no real head. the nose is strong and delicious, but not really much of a belgian dark strong happening here. the taste is pretty much the exact same for pumking, except they do not use as much maple syrup, so its not as sweet. the feel is really off, way to thin an undercarbonated. the sweetness is too much for a belgian dark strong, and I would never come back to this for a belgian of that style. ooh foxy lady.

3.26/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Left-over judging bottle given to me as a reward for my volunteer efforts at 2008 GABF. Pours a one finger tan head over a clear copper brown liquid. Smells mildly of pumpkin pie spice and some pumpkin vegetal.

Tastes dry spice. Lacking 'lighter' spice characters over darker brooding spices. Baker's chocolate, drying booziness, pumpkin is mild. There is a little bit of brown sugar or maybe grain-based fruitiness (raisins). Md-light body. Not very impressive, but I had high expectations, based on the oak aged Levud I had a while back.

3.27/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Clear and deeply reddish brown colored beer with a medium tan colored head.

Smells a bit dank. Yam and coffee with a faint sour scent. Big Cinnamon and ginger spice aromas. Brown sugar and syrup with some sugar-cone aromas. Smells a bit like a pancake.

Starts out sweet and spicy. Sugary with lots of ginger and Cinnamon. Mildly bitter as spiced beers go it is OK. Warms the chest fully.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall it is OK, but not something I would buy again.

3.27/5  rDev -13.7%

Transcribed from my notebook.

Looks reddish brown with a minimal sudsy white head, little to no lacing. Mouthfeel is fine with the carbonation but suffers somewhat from an excess of boozey hotness that dries everything out in my mouth somewhat too much for my taste. The nose absolutely reeks of cloying yams, maple sap, and pumpkin pie spicing....I am shocked to report that this is the first time I have ever experienced a desire for a de-amplification of the nose in my entire beer-tasting experience. Its a great combo of smells which work together well, but the levels are set so high as to be annoying. Tastes like maple syrup at first, but evolves into MEGA sweet potato pie with a boozey alcohol burn to it. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I can see how it would appeal to others. It just....crams *way* too much yam flavor and scent into my head, when I'm only a lukewarm fan of yams and sweet potatoes. If you go crazy for sweet potatoes, than this beer will be right up your alley.

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%

A - translucent brown with orange and red around the edges. Pours a beefy three finger head that turns into a small, bubbly layer on the top with a fair amount of bubbles around the edges. Heavy lacing.

S - Sweet potato, spicyness from coriander, orange peel, pepper, some kind of sweet fruit, maybe apricot or raisin. The smell is large and impressive, but not my favorite smell. A friend of mine said "This smells exactly like a Hacker Pschorr, but with yams".

T - Lots of sweet potato, but none of the sweetness from the beer comes from that flavor. A plethora of spicyness, mostly coming from what's listed in the smell - coriander, orange peel, banana, pepper, anise, fresh apple cider, caramel. The hop profile is barely peeking out in the finish, a small amount of bitter and citrus. The sweetness is really hanging around. Personally, this feels much more like drinking a yam infused hefeweizen instead of a brown ale.

M - medium body, high carbonation - small bubbles, yay! Coats the mouth and is crisp, very nice.

D - This isn't really for me, so the sustainably isn't high. The sweetness limited me to a glass, and the other two guys I split a bottle with didn't want any extra after their first pours.

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%

75cl bottle. Lightly hazy brown-red with a medium off-white head. Lots of spice and some alcohol in the aroma, with nutmeg and sweet potato standing out. The flavor is sweet and spicy with a boozy kick in the back and a dry finish. I'm going to have to say that this has breached the upper limit of pumpkin (yam) ale. The alcohol is just a little to dominant in the flavor profile, with some complimenting maple and spice. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Nice, but a little to ambitious.

3.29/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2012 Vintage poured on 27DEC12

Poured a nice reddish brown with about 2 finger head that dissipated quickly.

Don't really get the yams, get a little fall spices and some maple flavor. Get a spiciness from the yeast.

Taste the yams molasses and syrup really come though. Definitely sweet start that lingers throughout the finish. Don't taste any of the alcohol and don't get any warming so it was hidden well for 10%.

Feel a little thin would have preferred for it to stick around a little bit longer.

Overall a decent beer but probably won't buy it again.

3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Undated 25.4 oz/750 mL bottle at 50 degrees into snifter
Aroma muddled – no distinctly identifiable odors beyond sweet and aromatic
Head average (3 cm), light brown, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to partial 2 mm layer
Lacing none
Body medium brown, opaque
Flavor begins sweet, a salmagondis which makes each unique flavor unidentifiable but blends into a flavorable whole; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate medium to full, creamy, soft carbonation

This is hard to evaluate – it’s supposed to be a brown ale and it’s definitely brown and sweet, but the flavor is so mixed up that nothing stands out except a continual sweetness.

3.32/5  rDev -12.4%

On tap at The Bruery poured into a taster by the server trying to entice bottle purchases. Appearance is brown with orange highlights, tan head the quickly settles to a film, and minimal lacing. Aroma is sweet potato pie spices, maple syrup, brown sugar, and malt. Taste is light brown sugar and yam sweetness complimented by the nutmeg, clove, and allspice bitterness. Medium body, moderate carbonation,thick texture, clean finish.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

750ml bottle purchased as a single from Julio's, Westboro, MA.

Poured into a Harpoon tulip, formed a 1 1/2" tan head over the clear dark copper brew. Head falls slowly, with random chunky lacing. Aroma is yams and spices. Taste is somewhat harsh upfront, spices in the middle, and the alcohol and yams come together in the close. Lingering afterburn warmth. Mouthfeel is rough for me, not smooth at all, and drinkability is okay. Not as good as I had hoped.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Appearance -- Pours a hazy brown with a finger of foamy parchment head.

Smell -- Toasted malt, maple sugar, molasses, vanilla, earthy yeast. Can't really find the yam influence.

Taste -- Taste is quite sweet with maple sugar and dark molasses, along with rum raisin and candied yams. Additionally there is some dark fruit presence and faint yeast and fermentation character. Overall, the sweet adjuncts overwhelm the base beer.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with moderate prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- While Autumn Maple isn't a bad beer, it's by no means a great BSDA. Certainly interesting, a big hit with the family on Thanksgiving, but not something I'll be awaiting eagerly next Fall.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

Presentation: 750 mL bottle, 2012 vintage. Served chilled and poured into my Portsmouth Brewery snifter glass and enjoyed over about an hour span as it warmed.

Appearance: Medium to dark brown in color with a nice beige head and good retention on the first pour.

Aroma: Big belgian yeast and clove notes upfront. Some toasted malt and a touch of yam, although not as much as the label would have me believe. Ginger, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg round out the spices. The booze is much stronger than I expected.

Taste: The belgian yeast is really strong here and paired with some really strong booze notes. I really expected the sweetness of the yams and the spice notes to round out the booze much better, but it's just not happening for me. The ginger and nutmeg give off some nice flavor, but also give off a strange bitterness. I wish I got more maple though. This just doesn't come together for me.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is on the lower side, with a pretty full body.

Overall, an interesting beer where the concept seems better than the execution. I wanted to like this beer a lot more than I did. The maple notes are barely there and the yams are lacking as well in my opinion, although I've never had a beer with yams so I don't know how qualified I am to judge that. The spice notes wear thin quickly and don't mesh as well with the base beer as I'd expect. I have another bottle and I think a couple years might really help smooth out the edges....hopefully.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

The label says they used yams, molasses, maple syrup, and fall spices to make this strong Belgian-style ale; I think the brewers emptied a fully stocked horn o' plenty into the mash tun. But the beer was good--for the most part.

My 750 ml bottle unleashes a dark brown torrent. Carbonation roars skyward in a mushroom cloud of foam--then crashes down and disappears before I can jot a note about its creamy, off-white color (I have a good memory). So where's the head? Did someone slip Diet Coke into my beer bottle again? A sniff reveals maple syrup. My first sip finds more maple syrup chased by sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and spicy Belgian yeast. Its body is light with cola-like carbonation. An intensely sweet brew, but aside from that, there's not a ton going on here. The flavors don't kick you in the teeth and shout "taste it!" the way a Chimay Blue or De Dolle Oerbier does. Autumn Maple simply didn't linger long on my palate.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

A 750 ml brown bottle (pretty label), poured to a pint glass. It's the first day of winter and Portland is locked in, as dubbed by the media, an 'Arctic Blast'. Temps in the 20's, nearly a foot of the white stuff on the ground and more on the way. (Pointless) Snow shoveling completed, seems a perfect time for a warming Pumpkin Ale.

A: Color is nice: an autumnal chestnut/orange-brown, a faint haze. Where's the carbonation? A few frothy soap bubbles form a sloppy ring, fading quickly to pencil-thin whitish ring. No visible bubbles - looks kinda sad and lifeless but for a cheery color.

S: Pleasant sweetness: a nose full of nuttiness, pumpkin spices (allspice, nutmeg), dark raisins. Sugary sweetness isn't a bad thing when it smells so much like a pumpkin pie, complete with a flaky and buttery crust.

T: Pumpkin pie spice and a slight dark fruit tartness (Belgian yeast?). A molasses/maple sweetness, though neither are very discernible. Baked apple pie? Something in the finish reminds me of a spicy/syrupy Belgian tripel: slightly tart, a bit fruity (grapes, apples, pears). Drying bitterness in the finish: a more earthy pungency, like a sprinkling of nutmeg or a shaved cinnamon stick. Definitely holds my attention.

M: Where to begin? Syrupy viscosity going down, then a sticky, almost gummy starchiness. Flat (lack of) carbonation makes for a thinner feel, even from a 'heavy' ale. Alcohol warmth is pretty apparent.

D: I expected to really like this, as I'm a big fan of the 'pumpkin ale'. Read the label: 'Belgian-Style Brown Ale brewed with Yams, Molasses, Maple Syrup and Spices'. Sounds great; execution just didn't work for me. Finished the bottle over a couple hours, but probably would not buy again.

PS: The very faint hiss when uncapping and the generally flat appearance/feel leads me to suspect an issue on the bottling line. Purchased only a couple weeks ago, a fall seasonal certainly within the time frame of freshness. Worth noting that this ale seemed anything but 'fresh' from the bottle.

3.34/5  rDev -11.9%

A - Deep brown with a decent cap and not much lace.

S - Pumpkin/squash pie with some vanilla.

T - Pumpkin pie/yams (I suppose) with sweet malt, toffee and brown sugar, raisins, and alcohol.

M - Has a refreshing bit of creamy fizz.

D - Perhaps for dessert - this is a slow-sipper, especially given its high ABV. I'm not a fan of this style so I'm trying to be fair.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery