Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,805 | Reviews: 587
3.27/5  rDev -13.3%

Transcribed from my notebook.

Looks reddish brown with a minimal sudsy white head, little to no lacing. Mouthfeel is fine with the carbonation but suffers somewhat from an excess of boozey hotness that dries everything out in my mouth somewhat too much for my taste. The nose absolutely reeks of cloying yams, maple sap, and pumpkin pie spicing....I am shocked to report that this is the first time I have ever experienced a desire for a de-amplification of the nose in my entire beer-tasting experience. Its a great combo of smells which work together well, but the levels are set so high as to be annoying. Tastes like maple syrup at first, but evolves into MEGA sweet potato pie with a boozey alcohol burn to it. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I can see how it would appeal to others. It just....crams *way* too much yam flavor and scent into my head, when I'm only a lukewarm fan of yams and sweet potatoes. If you go crazy for sweet potatoes, than this beer will be right up your alley.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap at Aces and Ales, Las Vegas, $8 for 10 oz glass.

1 1/2 fingers of tan head, medium dissipation with not a lot of lacing. Nose is pretty complex, molasses, vanilla, nutmeg fairly noticeable, I had a hard time picking up any cinnamon notes. Taste is equally complex, sweetish up front, blackstrap molasses, grade A (light) maple syrup, with the above spice profile. I don't really know what the yams are supposed to add, imagine it adds to the sweetness. Medium mouthfeel, light for the style, light on effervescence, a bit sticky. ABV fairly noticeable, hidden by the sweetness, but not sure I'd want to have more than a glass of this. Could do some interesting holiday food pairings with this. Worth a try.

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

Caramel colored and translucent, with a foamy off white head.

They aren't kidding when they say they used yams. The scent is immediately associated with candied yams and maple syrup.

The flavor has a strong maple syrup presence. I'm also picking up pumpkin spice and suprise, yams. The finish is sweet.

This has a pretty heavy body, and is very boozy. It leaves an alcoholic burn in the mouth and throat.

The hot boozy feel severely limits the drinkability. The yams and maple syrup are an interesting attempt at the style, but also get tiresome before my first glass is over.

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Had this recently at one of our favorite spots. Poured a nice dark amber/lite brown. Head of about an inch that disappeared rather quickly.
Odor is sweet and spicy. Cinnamon, syrup and some other spices came to mind when first smelling.
Taste is rather sweet and maple syrup like at first. Middle to end brings some more spice and little bit of alcohol . Mouth feel is smooth and relatively flat. It seems like there is very little carbonation.
Overall, a very good beer with sweetness throughout. Great for sipping and savoring.

4.29/5  rDev +13.8%

On tap at Capone's during the St. Somewhere promo on 9/5/09. Since it was so good and it was one of the most reasonably priced growlers, I had to take this one home with me. I thought a beer like this deserves a special glass, so i poured this "Pumpkin Ale" into my Maudite Snifter.

If you think this beer is going to pour a yam or pumpkin orange, then you don't know The Bruery very well. This beer poured an extremely hazy dark amber orange that was clearly more amber than orange. This beer was so hazy that I couldn't even catch a glimpse of the silhouette of my fingers on the other side of the glass. Like I said in a previous review, you gotta love the hazyness! There was no head of foam at first, but then out of nowhere, up rises a great looking pale maple brown colored 1 1/2 creamy head of foam. It had fast retention, but it managed to leave behind a string of foamy rings and just a few tiny spots of lace around the glass.

If you take your time to smell this beer, you're going to find a wide range of aromas. My nose was able to find the scent of yams, a hint of roasted malts, a drop of baker's chocolate, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, a touch of maple sugar, and a subtle whiff of vanilla beans. Swirling it around will only increase the scent of the yams, but it won't let through any other aroma? How could it not? There were more than enough aromas to satisfy any beer's lovers sense of smell. Why a perfect 5? How could I not? There was so much going on in the smell that every time I put my nose to the beer there was another new aroma for me to smell.

The taste of this beer started off dry with dry roasted malts and a touch of baker's chocolate. After that, this beer shows off that it was actually brewed with yams. It was a dry yam taste and it didn't last all that long. After the yams, this beer rolls into the spice part of the taste that contained a subtle spice taste of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. After all the spices, this beer finishes up with a pinch of maple sugar, a drop of molasses, and more dry roasted malts. As you can tell, the taste wasn't as complex as the aroma, but not much can compare to that.

10.5% ABV? Yeah right! There was no way that it could possibly this high. if it was that high, then all the alcohol must have been hidden by the yams and all of the spices. The aftertaste was that of dry roasted malts, yams, baker's chocolate, cinnamon, maple, and nutmeg. 10.5% ABV? Are you sure? It just can't be!

Although it's brewed with yams, this is one of the better Pumpkin beers I've had. Is it a must try? Not really. It's more of a must smell type of beers. This beer was so good that I could really see me opening a bottle or drinking another growler of this in the fall or early winter.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.47/5  rDev -8%

a beer brewed on a ubiquitous amount of squash. an extremely decadent pumpkin fashioned beer with not much of a range in flavor but a very nice more for a ten recent beer. A really nice earth that seems to sit in the wood of the cask and the dirt sweet blends well with the nutmeg. This is an american beer. More so an imperial vegatable beer than anything belgian. A tad boozy but it could be much worse. Not overly sweet but has a lack luster feel as it lacks density in both yeast protein and malt.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

I would hardly call this a "fruit / vegetable" beer - more like a thick solid Octoberfest or even a Scotch ale with a slight touch of funk of some sort that takes over where hop bitterness might come in. The 17 pounds of yams used in the brewing process is not only a surprise, but a non-event. More like a "so-what" - it adds a little sweetness.

Had on tap at the Public House in Brookline, MA and really enjoyed - think solid mouthfeel, little to no alcohol warming considering the ABV, a moderate amount of sweetness that is balanced out by a very small amount of funk of some sort. Little to no head, and didn't really get much smell out of it.

Overall, a pretty decent fall beer if you're not in the mood for coiffing.

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

From a 750mL bottle into a snifter. 2013 bottle.

Cloudy orange and brown body with a few yeast particles visible. The head is light, sudsy and a finger and a half thick before settling into a lacy film over the body. 4

Well here's a surprise. This beer is quite fruity and spicy like a darker Belgian beer. Maple wafts in and out with some slight yam-like aroma. I like the combination. 4

The Belgian qualities really stand out on this with potent fig and raisin flavors. The yam and maple come in afterwards but the transition is subtle and tasty. The finish is peppery and as I continue drinking I notice a more vinous, grape-like taste to the beer. There's a sharp, harsh taste about mid-palate that otherwise interrupts the pleasant blend of flavors. 3.75

The beer is yeasty and lively like a dubbel with a candy-like sweetness and then a dry, wine-like feel. The beer is a bit thinner in body than I would expect, coupled with a colorful carbonation. 4

This beer takes an interesting direction with the Belgian qualities, as I thought the ingredients would be much more suited to a dark stout. It mostly works, despite a few hiccups in the form of harshness or flavors that don't quite mesh. In the end, it's enjoyable, but not necessarily a beer I'd have more than one of.

4.07/5  rDev +8%

Pours an almost-brown, red color with a medium white head. The scent is blasting with caramel, holiday spices, sweet yams, and brown sugar. The smell is very inviting. Taste does not disappoint. A very distinct maple syrup taste with strong hints of brown sugar and cooked yams. The mouthfeel is somewhat thick and syrupy, but still very drinkable. I'm not the biggest fan of pumpkin ales or brown ales, but this beer was a real treat.

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%

Draft pour into a half-pint goblet at Whole Foods in Tustin.
2010 vintage.

A: Slightly hazy, dark coppery-amber color with one finger of diminishing off-white foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Muted mixed fruit that seems both tart and earthy. Faint holiday spices can be detected, although alcohol is not present.

T: Begins sweet, with bold tart and juicy fruit. Lactic acidity fades into the middle, where flavors become slightly bready and more earthy while retaining the fruit quality established early. It finishes moderately bitter, accented by spicy herbaceous hops. Alcohol is not detected in the flavor.

M: Medium to thick viscosity, slightly syrupy and smooth on the palate, with low carbonation.

D: The Bruery's approach to the crafting of their Fall pumpkin ale by omitting the pumpkin proves nearly infallible. The result is a delicious beer that compliments holiday dinner perfectly. The disparity in intensity between smell and taste is surprising, yet it may be the only mis-step of note found here.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

2.7/5  rDev -28.4%

A: deep copper brown
S: yeasty, with hints of alcohol and unfermented sweetness
T: a bit thin for alcohol, on sweeter side, unusual with decent taste but not to my liking, bitterness is there but sweetness wins out, very little head, big fat bubbles
M: sweet but not lacquerish
D: it is what it is but not my style

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

I've had this one for quite some time now and seeing as how my new Bruery tulip just showed up a few days ago, I thought I'd christen it with this brew...

This has more Belgian Strong Dark aromas coming off it than anything else... Loads of yeast and sugars... hints of the sweet potatoes for sure as well along with the usual suspects of cinnamon and nutmeg... Unusual but not particularly exciting...

Again, I get more Belgian than anything.... It's pretty tasty but there's something just not put together right here... I'm getting the yams but the spice ratios don't seem right to me.. At least that's what I'm getting... Others seem to disagree with me which is OK too...

Fairly average really to me... One of the main brews I traded for and at least I know now what it's all about...

3.67/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a medium brown color, has a rich look to it. Not so much hazy as it is dense and cloudy. The head is minimal and has no retention.

The smell is way complex. Cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice take care of the spices; a bit of vanilla; and a funky fruitness from the Belgian yeast. I wouldn't have guessed maple except for the whole name of the beer. When you stick your nose in the snifter for a sip, you pick up the alcohol.

It's got a strange taste to it. It's not bad, it's just unusual, likely the maple and yams at work. To be honest, there's a lot happening in the mouth that the only thing I pick up is the maple, and I'm not convinced it belongs in a beer.

The beer almost has a creaminess to it, likely the vanilla and yams. Medium-bodied. Sweet and spicy, with even more sweet in the finish, along with a tad of heat from the alcohol and a hint of bittering hops.

This borders on being too sweet with the yams, maple and vanilla all being suspects. It does make a decent cold weather warmer but it's not something I could have often as I think it might be a bit too sweet for drinking often.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Autumn Maple from The Bruery