Join our email list →

California, United States | website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer | 10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Reviews: 614 | Hads: 1,969
2.89/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The thing about this beer is, it tastes a lot like most fall, pumpkin/squash beers.
and the heavy alcohol taste is not very appealing when it comes to being a drinkable beer.

It pours a dark brown, with a golden tint to it.

Smells kinda nice. It has those herbal spices, maybe a faint maple or "molasses" .
It also smells like it might have a heavy alcohol content.

The thing I don't like about the taste, is that the 10% alcohol is kind of in your face.
There are cinnamon and other spices apparent, and a faint taste that I get from most pumpkin/squash beers. I can taste a bit of good things going on in here, but its a little overpowered.

The mouthfeel was not that pleasant, and the people with me agreed.

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Rich and heavy, and despite its pleas to be not considered a pumpkin spice beer, it still more or less tastes like one - albiet, a very good one. The maple comes out a bit in the leafy, autumnal rich and grassy flavor of the leaves, and less in the candy sweetness of the syrup. But don't fret, the yams provide plenty of hearty sweet flavor. The spices are well done, and when I served it at a pre-Thanksgiving dinner, it was a perfect complement to the rest of the classic meal.

The texture is, as I said, quite thick and hearty, and the 9% abv certainly lets its presence be known, but there is more of a burn from the cardamom and nutmeg and yam (né pumpkin) flavor than from the booze. Rest assured, this will f--- you up if you drink it all, but with a beer this intensely flavorful and dense, and in such a big bottle, it's probably best shared with one or two others.

4.66/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a crowned 750ml bottle (Bottled On: 07/15/13) into a 16oz New Belgium globe

A- A conservative decanting from the bottle yields a hazy deep bronze hued beer with nothing more than a single finger's worth of a khaki colored head. Due to the nucleation in the glass, a thin sea-foam textured head remains on the surface of the beer for the duration. 4.25

S- Yammy! The aroma is not much different from a dish of candied yams that Grandma makes...yams/sweet potatoes, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, marshmallow and a hint of butter thrown in for good measure. 4.5

T- While Southern Tier's Pumking nails a dessert in a glass, Autumn Maple replicates a liquid version of that popular sweet and savory side dish which accompanies many a Thanksgiving spread. The complex flavor profile mimics everything detected in the aroma. The sweetness is surprisingly tamed perfectly by the conservative additions of the (common) spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and a splash of ginger. A complex brew such as this affords a delicate and lingering finish, balanced by the sweet/savory notes with a spicy/dry finish. 4.75

M- Combined with a nucleated glass and bottle conditioning, a perfect mouthfeel is achieved. The medium-to-full body of the beer (after all, it is 10%ABV) sits well on the palate and is perfect for the dark and cold months of the year. 4.75

O- Next to Uinta's Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin, The Bruery's Autumn Maple stands as a close second (Samuel Adams Fat Jack rounds out my top three for pumpkin/gourdy ales). Despite reviewing a bottle "past it's prime," this beer ages exceptionally well and suits a sub-zero winter just as much as a cool autumn. Along with Uinta and Anchorage, The Bruery stands to be one of my top three breweries in 2013. Regardless of style, I encourage you all to give The Bruery serious consideration...it is worth it! 4.75

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into my Duvel tulip. Bottle says this is a Belgian-style brown ale. BA has it as a pumpkin ale. I'll try to keep both styles in mind. Virtually no lacing.

Appearance: Pours a murky brown-orange, with four fingers of off-white head that slowly, slowly subsides. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Definitely smells like a pumpkin ale. The smell is dominated by pumpkin pie spices. Malt in the background. Good smelling beer.

Taste: Doesn't taste all that much like it smells, which is surprising. The traditional 'Belgian' flavor dominates, backed by some spices. The finish is long and smooth, with almost a vanilla-honey aftertaste. I'm not sure I'm getting the maple syrup, or the yams, or the other flavors advertised, or maybe I'm just tasting what happens when they all blend together. Alcohol is definitely evident, as the beer warms all the way through. Maybe some pumpkin-like flavors come through as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Thick, and high carbonation. Nothing to complain about.

Drinkability: Definitely a good beer to sip on on a cold winter night. It smells like a pumpkin ale, but tastes like a Belgian brown. I'm not really sure how to best classify it. My nose says one thing, and my tastebuds say another. It's a beer I definitely would have to be in the mood for, and I might pick up another one for when the weather cools.

4.23/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: very dark brown with red tints light tan head small bubbles a decent size head.

S: Belgian yeast spice not much else on the nose

T: Yams in the taste here they don't show up in the smell tangy beer on the tongue with maple syrup and molasses. a slight starchy taste as well.

M: med to heavy high carbonation

D: very drinkable good beer

overall: this thing is a very strange and wonderful beer I was not expecting what I got

4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Proof that the small guys go it best, The Bruery, a small craft brewery in Orange County California which just brought home two gold medals at the World Beer Cup. In the Belgian-Style Flanders/Oud Bruin category their Flemish Style Red Ale Aged in Oak Barrels, the Oud Tart took home the gold. Also in the Experimental Beer category their Autumn Maple brewed with 100% Brettanomyces yeast (a very volatile wild yeast) took home the second gold.

The Bruery focuses on creating richly flavored beers that are unfiltered, never pasteurized, and completely bottle conditioned without additional carbonation added. They are also not shy about experimenting with using exciting ingredients in their beers, a perfect example being Their Autumn Maple; it is brewed with yams, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses and maple syrup. This really is the stuff that dreams are made of. At least mine are... Is that weird?

This was the first of the Bruery beers that I had tried, so I was plenty excited. It comes in a wine shaped 750 ml bottle branded with 10.5% abv on the side. I let it warm up to cellar temperature around 12C (54F) as would be appropriate for a rich brown ale of this magnitude, and poured it into two large large snifters; for my mate and I.

As I poured it, before I could consider the color, aromas ripped out of the glass at me. It was warm spice and rich deep dark caramel and malt which found its way quickly to my nose. Getting closer into the beer, the nose reveals cloves, cinnamon, molasses, caramel and pale malts, sweet egg bread, biscuit, light wood and hints of alcohol.

The beer though, sitting gently in my snifter was very pretty; it has raised a nice pillowy and fluffy two inch head showing significant density and a creamy egg shell color. It has reasonably strong retention, but slowly fades to a heavy lacing on the surface of the beer, which itself was sublime. I was very happy it was not pitch dark, and it does show fantastic browns, amber orange, glimmers of ruby red, gold, and copper with hues of ivory black streaming through it. From the sight and smell it seems to enjoy significant complexity - but my favorite test was yet to come.

The flavor of course is what I was excited for, and it did not disappoint. First rich caramel, pale and dark malt flavors all make their way gently across your tongue in a recognizable fashion paving the way for the more unique experiences to follow. Soft roasted yam flesh and pumpkin glides in caressing your palate gently bringing with is spices to the edged of your mouth. The clove and cinnamon found in the nose tickle and tease your taste buds as bigger meatier flavors relax deep in your palate.

Bready biscuit malts, caramel and maple sweetness along with soft vanilla and a hint of earthy funk rest deep in the beer. Molasses makes its way in at the end, and more spice and Belgian yeast notes. The beer benefits very well from the bottle conditioning; the body is full but very soothing with soft and delicate carbonation. It really flows gently over your palate but is aggressive enough to make itself known.

The alcohol is perfectly hidden among the balance of sweet and savory favors. Hops are not very apparent, but the sweet flavors are all more on the savory side of things. Overall it creates a very appetizing beer which was a pleasure to enjoy. The finish was warm and smooth, lingering slightly, but encouraging me to go back for more. I loved the spice, and love the brown caramelized flavors of yams, maple syrup and luscious malts.

I would bet that this will also age well in the cellar, but probably only for a couple years. Its balance and spice makes it perfect for food pairings. Try roasted chicken or turkey, cheese plates, tomato pastas, shrimp, and BBQ.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Third time ive had this beer and still dont get it....why yams?!?!? oh well....

A- Deep brown with a red hue. Almost no retention on the beer, resides to a white ring around the edges.

S- Fall spices (cinnamon, Nutmeg, allspice, and of course yams)

T- Sweet with some sour like characteristics up front, then the spices kick in on the back-end, dominating the flavor profile from there on out. The sourness is kind strange, takes away from the spices, which are surprisingly balanced.

M- nice soft medium body that is quite slippery on the finish. Goes down pretty easy

O- strange beer, not really pumped on it. Could be really good but i dont think "its the right combination shit for a m***er to F***Ed up on"- Kat williams

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

750ml bottle at Reserve Society poured into wine glass.

A- Dark hazy amber/light brown body with small foamy white head.

S- Caramel, maple, molasses, nice baking spices and small amounts of bready yeast.

T- "Butt load of Yams", caramel, pumpkin/sweet potato pie, baking spices, bready yeast.

M- Full body, light and fluffy carbonation, little alcohol burn on the back end.

D- Decent drinkability, just not enough carbonation, needs some time for the alcohol to mellow down.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a cloudy and dark amber with little to no head to speak of. Not a particularly pretty beer, but the taste is what matters.

Smell- Maple, cinnamon, and vanilla with some Belgian yeast.

Taste- Follows the nose in a very balanced way. Maple and cinnamon up front and vanilla towards the end with some warmth from the ABV. This is what I always have hoped for when I see a maple beer. I have been let down by some great breweries but this beer incorporates maple flawlessly.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with slight carbonation.

Overall- This beer is exactly what it markets itself to be, a delicious alternative to pumpkin beer. After several years of pumpkin beer, this is a welcomed alternative. Great beer for a cool fall night.

1.43/5  rDev -62.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

taste: Dimetapp, Vicks, formented yams, metal

Overall: Really bad! Drain Pour.

Mouthfeel : Please get this out of my mouth ASAP

The only beer I have ever had from the Bruery. My other BA friend shared this and agreed with pouring the left over 2/3 down the drain.

I realize experimentaion is how you create new product. This seems like a mistake they brewed to much of and said well.... Lets put it in a fancy bottle with a fancy label and someone will buy it. Please dont. YUK!

3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours mahogany, with little head retention or lacing. Smells of maple and spice. Malty, almost apple-y flavor. Maple in the aftertaste. Taste is immediately a tempered malt sweet with what I would describe as pumpkin pie spice. The Maple flavor weaves itself in through the secondary part of the flavor profile, and sticks around till the end where both aspects are well balanced. Alcohol is not apparent until it warms up.

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%

A - translucent brown with orange and red around the edges. Pours a beefy three finger head that turns into a small, bubbly layer on the top with a fair amount of bubbles around the edges. Heavy lacing.

S - Sweet potato, spicyness from coriander, orange peel, pepper, some kind of sweet fruit, maybe apricot or raisin. The smell is large and impressive, but not my favorite smell. A friend of mine said "This smells exactly like a Hacker Pschorr, but with yams".

T - Lots of sweet potato, but none of the sweetness from the beer comes from that flavor. A plethora of spicyness, mostly coming from what's listed in the smell - coriander, orange peel, banana, pepper, anise, fresh apple cider, caramel. The hop profile is barely peeking out in the finish, a small amount of bitter and citrus. The sweetness is really hanging around. Personally, this feels much more like drinking a yam infused hefeweizen instead of a brown ale.

M - medium body, high carbonation - small bubbles, yay! Coats the mouth and is crisp, very nice.

D - This isn't really for me, so the sustainably isn't high. The sweetness limited me to a glass, and the other two guys I split a bottle with didn't want any extra after their first pours.

Thanks to mikedashg for sharing one of these. had it before, but never reviewed.

pours a ruddy brownish caramel with some head that recedes quickly and leaves no lace. i think this might be due to the glass shape, because other people at the tasting got a lot of head and lace. we all were vigorously swirling them too, which is sort of weird.

Smells of sweet brown sugar and there's a slight smell of yams, but not what you would expect. There's very mild spice, but it's not prevalent.

Instantly there's a spiciness that isn't overwhelming, but not so light that I'd call it subtle. The sweetness in the nose shows up in the form of sugar and candied yams. The spice and sweet blend very well and there's even a slight hint of nutmeg that rounds everything out.

Overall, this is a good light bodied holiday brew. It was great for a seasonal tasting.

NOTE: Having this side by side with BA Autumn Maple I really think this one is better. There's more subtlety to it, but I'll get into that in my review of the BA version.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Tasty. I have tried a few different beers from the bruery and I have liked most of them. This was no exception. Before it warmed up it just tasted like a real nice dubbel I thought....as it warmed up the flavor became more complex.

The carbonation is a bit higher than I like, but the overall mouth feel is pretty good. The taste is hard to describe as it warms up. It definitely changes , but I don't get the taste of yams, maple...maybe a bit of spices.

I would buy this again. I would like to set a bottle aside and see how the flavor develops over a year or two.

3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

So excited to try my first beer from The Bruery. Pours a nice dark brown, with ruby highlights when held to the light. It pours with a nice three finger head that really hangs around awhile.
Very nice aromas, peppery spicness and some nice earthy yeast. Lingering in the background you can find some nice clove, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, and maple syrup.
This is one intensely spiced brew. All of your favorite fall spices are in this one. Again I'm getting some clove, allspice and cinnamon at first. I wish I could pick up some of the yam but I can't really pick that out. Hints of the maple syrup and molasses as well. Didn't pick up any alcohol flavor at all.
It's a little too carbonated I think and comes across just a touch too thin. Overall a very fine brew and I can't wait to try more from The Bruery!!!

1.97/5  rDev -48%

750 split with my girlfriend.

Pours a muddy red, with a not so impressive tan head. It has a slightly see through body that looks like flat cherry coke. No legs left behind on my Darkness snifter at all.

Smell is of sweet, brown sugar coated, molasses. I pick up slight hints of Robitussin and cherries on the end.

Taste is sweet cough syrup with more sweet sugars added in.

I was expecting a semi full mouthfeel, but I was left with a stringy, water-like substance that was a struggle to get down.

Overall, I hated it. Enough said. You can't make a bad beer good by adding in more sugar. This is too one dimensional.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nice fall beer. Great alternative to a pumpkin ale which is everywhere. I can taste the yams and nice subtle spice notes. I will definitely get more..

3.82/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours dark copper with blood orange highlights when held to the light. One inch of very bubbly head evaporates quickly, settling to a thin white film on the surface.

Mouthfeel is medium-full but with enough carbonation to bring some tangy flavor to the tongue.

This beer hits the nose with molasses, brown sugar, coriander and citrus. There's an earthy undertone that I would guess comes from the yams.

The taste gives you a lot to think about. The sweet molasses and brown sugar flavors come through first. Then the coriander and cinnamon flavors meld in nicely. Some yammy earthiness and depth comes at the midpoint and escorts the beer to its finish which melds that earthy flavor with some hop and alcohol bitterness. the flavor of the yams comes through pretty unmistakably and is distinct from the sweetness. If yams aren't your thing, this isn't your beer.

I'm rating this in comparison to the other fall/pumpkin beers since the yams are really a replacement for that gourd. Based on that standard, I think this beer does quite well. It's not overly spiced and you can actually taste the yams (whereas many pumpkin beers are designed to mimic pumpkin pie rather than actual pumpkin). Not my favorite style or my favorite example of the style, but it is evocative of the season and is worth a try when the leaves change. A worthy experiment from a forward thinking brewery.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured on 4/1/11 into a cigar city snifter

Pours a dark reddish amber with a huge fizzy head that dissipates to no lacing on the glass.

Smells of maple and malt. Tons of spices, molasses, maple, and earthy hits.

Taste is the same. Lots of smooth malt and spices. Maple and other tastes come through but this beer is not great by any standard.

Over all is medium. Not a great beer and high ABV makes for an Oscar Blues substitute.

4.23/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours Amber in color with a plentiful 2 finger head.

Aroma is pretty much dominated by the brown sugar and molasses. Definitely a Belgian yeast character.

Taste is like a malt forward Belgian saison. More molasses and brown sugar. Some bright citrus plays through. Some allspice, clove, and cinnamon.

Overall, this is a good pumpkin beer. I see it pairing well with thanksgiving dessert. It gets a 84.5/100.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Wow, this is one sweet beer. Maple syrup galore. I'm almost screaming "please turn sour!" come to find out they make this same beer with brettanomyces. I would love to get ahold of it.

It has thick and cloudy burnt orange color with an orangeish tan foam that clears away to a film. Leaves a few bubblies on the side of the glass.

Full bodied beer with tons of rich, toasty malts and gobs of sweetness. I'm thinkin' roasted candied yams, but to be honest, I can't taste actual yams much. It is a maple beer, but it is almost like beer-flavored maple syrup. Phenols are pretty good. Hops show up at the end, but are still pushed aside by the strong sugars and smoky malt aftertaste. Does a pretty good job of covering up the booze until you breathe out. I bet this would be awesome to eat with some sort of fried dessert. I'm also interested to taste one of these that has been cellared.

I rounded the mouthfeel up and the overall down.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Well, I was impressed with this Brown Ale. The quick hit of the molasses soothes out to a candied yam finiish. The aftertaste to me was subtle spices that only lasted for less then a minute. The smell was soft and pairable with it's flavors. If you are looking for a brew with flavors inspired from old fashioned Dutch then It's worth a try.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap toronado SD, would love to try a bottle after a year in storage. As the toronado staff noted, this would be awesome with thanksgiving meal. A bit sweet, some spice but with great texture. Really interesting nose and sweet and lingering finish. Like a thanksgiving meal wrapped up into a brew. Very enjoyable. I don't have a lot of experience with this style brew.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a dark red brown color with a one finger mocha colored head. Smells like maple syrup, yams, cinnamon, brown sugar, sweet bread. Tastes predominantly like candied yams with subtle cloves and nutmeg in the finish. Yikes not quite what I remembered from last year. Enjoyable, but too heavy on the yam.

3.86/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A: Brownish redish with no head. Beer is the same color as the label.

S: Dark sweet fruits, belgian yeast. Not getting ANY maple/pumpkin/spice

T: Tastes EXACTLY like Treogs Mad Elf, which is one of my favorite beers of all time. I don't think I would be able to tell the deference between the two in a blind tasting.

M: Carbonated and full. Not as carbonated as other belgian ales.

O: Low overall because I don't think this was worth the price, and it didn't taste or smell ANYTHING like a pumpkin seasonal.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery