Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Reviews: 592 | Hads: 1,884
4.57/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really like yams and maple. I do NOT like any pumpkin beer I've tried other than Heirloom Pumpkin Barley Wine ( almanac).

This is a very complex, Belgian yesat, copper colored, malt-forward, not too sweet, yammy, maple concoction: barrel aged. It still tastes like beer, excellent beer. It does not taste or resemble most pumpkin beers in any fashion.

From first frost until sugaring season, I'm apt to pull one out of the cellar to pair with duck, turkey, roast pork.

IMHO, the Bruery makes great beers. This is one of the more under- appreciated examples.

Bottle Pours a murky brown amber with a good light tan head. The head is lasting and laces okay. Has a sweet aroma of yams, spices, and maple syrup. The carbonation is good. Has a good flavor with spices and a slight burn. Has a full body. The texture is watery but it is the best watery beer I have tasted. Has a good finish and a nice aftertaste. This is a good beer.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into my DT tulip glass. Thanks for the trade Mattolish!

Brownish color. No head or carbonation. No lacing at all. Totally flat beer. Cinnamon cloves and pumpkin/yam in both the nose and taste of this beer. A bit sweet with great flavor.

If I were judging this purely on flavor it would get very high marks. Maybe the best tasting "pumpkin" beer I have had. The total lack of carbonation killed it for me. It was so flat that it ruined the mouth-feel and drinkability of this one .

I hope if they brew this again that they adjust the carbonation of this beer. If they do I would highly recommend this one.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - At first pour it had a small head and then quickly dissipates into a dark root beer color and actually looked like coca cola in a pint glass. This large bubbles formed in the bottom and around the pint glass.

S - Thanksgiving dinner in a bottle! Sweet potato and pecan pie which follows through with a light smell of apricots. The smell is complex but you can differentiate between the spices which i can smell nutmeg, cinnamon & cloves.

T - First initial taste it was Thanksgiving in a bottle. The sweet potatoes shine but finish with almost sweet carrots which turns to an apricot finish. The spices that i described above are a little subdued but hit you at the aftertaste.

M - Lightly carbonated and was one of the most deliciously carbonated beers i have had in awhile for a belgian style brown ale. It had a nicer almost stouty beer feel but then it was smooth and then it felt like a brown ale but easily drinkable.

O - I was impressed had it on tap and it seemed like that keg was flat but this second time in the bottle it was able to keep a great carbonation and i can't wait to open more of them in the next upcoming years.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

Thanks to BeerTruth/Nanoslug for this.

Pours brown with a ring of huge bubbles around my snifter.

Smell: Faint Pumpkin Spices, Bananas, Vanilla, and Maple Syrup.

Taste: Pumpkin Spices, Molasses, Dark Fruits, and Brown Sugar. Barely any Carbonation.

It's really interesting, I think if it was more carbonation this would be great.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

A-Ruby. Brilliantly clear. big tan head that quickly disapeared.

S-Rum raisin with some clove thrown in. Nice that this isn't an over spiced mess like most pumpkin beers. Some perfumy alcohol. Very nice

T-Raisin. Some alcohol. Dark Crystal malts. Rummy. No hop flavor

M-Medium thick bodied but not sickly sweet. Medium carbonation, could be a bit higher.

D-Much better than all of those over spiced pumpkin beers out these days. Actually a nice base beer with a bit of spice underneath. Alcohol is a bit too high to have more than one.

3.7/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 Vintage.

Pour: Deep, dark mahogany brown with hints of orange and a small off white head.

Nose: Candied yams, maple syrup, pecan, Belgian yeast, an abundance of all spice and nutmeg.

Taste: kind of strange but the yams and maple come through pretty quickly with all spice, nutmeg, and some vanilla as well.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a moderate amount of oily presence. Slightly carbonated.

Overall: Pretty great for the style as I enjoy this much more than the usual pumpkin beers out there.

3.43/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Very yeasty farmhouse style Belgian ale, reminds me of something Unibroue might produce.

Pours a milky translucent brown with a light tan head.

Aromas of sugary yams and yeast.

Mouthfeel is particularly astringent, dried my mouth out the way a well oak-aged red wine might.

Tastes of yams and sweet malts, not much spice other than nutmeg. The yeast is definitely powerful, and little to none of the maple syrup taste I was really hoping for, kind of a big disappointment considering the $14 price.

I was pleased however that the typical fall pie spices were not at all dominating like most pumpkin beers, just mild nutmeg and yam.

Not a bad beer, the 10% alc packs a punch, but yeast is a bit overpowering for me and the lack of maple hints were a disappointment

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Had on-tap at the Bruery Provisions in Orange.

A - Murky copper to light brown, light orange/tan head. Pours about a finger's worth and it sticks around for a while.

S - Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg. Your typical pumpkin pie/beer spice combo. Not really picking up on the ginger. Some malt and faint esters also present.

T - Mmm. Yams instead of pumpkin, and it works. This was actually the first Bruery beer I'd tried, last year around this time. The 2011 version tastes better than I remember. I can pick up on the maple syrup, but the spices dominate. Somewhat belgian. A little sweet.

M - Not a lot to say here you probably don't already know. It's like every other pumpkin ale, but with yams. Smooth, medium body.

O - Not really a pumpkin beer, per se, but still amazing. I can't wait to try the BA and 100% brett versions.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I enjoyed this beer on a cold autumn night in Colorado, from a vantage point where I could practically hear falling leaves scraping against the window as they listlessly fell onto a fading suburban lawn. It's a fine setting for this dark brew, and shortly after the pour I get a real sense of how appropos it is. THe aroma is packed with molasses, and seasoned with dark pepper and bay leaf. Overall, my impression is a scent that is both deep and sweetFascinating aroma. Lots of molasses and black pepper and all spice and even bay leaf. It's a smell worth of competing with a slow cooker running through a deep autumn afternoon. And now we move to the body, thick and deep in palate and flavor. Sweet potato tang and sweetness appear here, borrowing some spice from the nose for a pungent, but deep, dulcet and satisfying flavor. Dark molasses provides that body and sweetness, mixing together well with all the other flavors. But do take cautious: this is immensely boozy. Let it age a season or two, or if you just prefer strength to finesse.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a deep brownish orange color that is quite opaque, only the slightest amount of light come through around the edges of the glass. A fluffy off white head forms at the top of the pour with no lacing remaining on the sides of the glass.

S: Malt and yeast dominate the nose. Yams are present along with spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. A slight maple note is also present.

T: Sweetness hits the tongue at the outset. Yams and maple start the sip, but it quickly moves into malt and yeast of a belgian ale. Slight maple towards the finish, but the spice really comes though in the finish. Nutmeg, allspice, and even some clove flavors accompany the yeast to sting the back of the throat as the sip concludes.

M: This is a medium bodied beer with prickly carbonation.

Overall, this is a tasty beer. It really drinks more as a belgian brown (which is its base) than a spiced vegetable beer. I would have liked more maple and yam flavor, but this is a tasty brew that does an excellent job of masking the 10% ABV.

3.39/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance- well its pretty when it poured out. It's a brownish orange color sparkling clear which I imagine is had to accomplish with he sweet potatoes in it. It has a thin off white head. The head has no sustain, probably the least head retention I have seen in a commercial beer. I imagine that is also due to the sweet potatoes.

Smell- bread cinnamon clove yeasty with what I can detect is a significant amount of booze smell. Phenolic ?! not sure but it smells kinda like a moonshine wash.

Taste- cinamon clove and a significant boozey warmth. dont taste too much sweet potatoe but the fermented maple syrup is a familiar aspect of this beer. little to no hop profile. Not sure if its the alcohol of unfermented sugars that leaves it a bit sweet in the finish.

Mouthfeel- mild carbonation, boozey warmth and a of course a bit syrupy. but not sticky. I think its best aspect might be the mouthfeel, because it does feel like a mouthfull of mashed potatoes.

Overall- I thought this beer was okay, I would have enjoyed it along with a thanksgiving dinner but It is not something that an average beer drinker would appreciate. I have had beers that disguise the alcohol content better at a higher ABV. I have had beers that I think do the spice additions better. But as a lover of sweet potatoes I was curious. I think this would be better barrel aged or cellared .

4.28/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours murky brown orange full of yeast with a tab head

S- spices sweet yams orange pumpkin

T- very complex and sweet yams pumpkin spices vanilla oak brown sugar

m- creamy but low carb

d- probably one of the fav holiday beers very complex and all the flavors go great together

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

A - dark, murky amber Medium carbonation, no lacing

S - Belgian yeast, sweet honey

T - Belgian burnt sugar (caramel), sweet, some yam, lightly crisp hops, nutmeg/allspice/vanilla

M - medium bodied, good carbonation in the mouth

Very good beer. Bruery is really putting out some unique and tasty beers. This is one of them! I recommend it!

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass. Pours a hazy amber color with a decent amount of head. Aroma just screams of yams and spices, I'm not even a big yams fan but it is an inviting aroma. The taste is very diverse and full of flavor with maple syrup, yams, and spices like cinnamon coming through strongly. The high ABV of 10% is relatively well hidden. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation, and crisp and smooth.

Overall, this a nice beer, my favorite beer of the fall season so far. The spices and yams just give this beer an enjoyable complexity, and it truly is a nice beer to enjoy on an autumn night like I did tonight.

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at the brewery during AHA rally. It's thanksgiving in a glass. Orange amber color with a creamy tan head. Aroma is spices like pumpkin pie meets candied yams. Taste is rich, full malt, some sweetness, and yes you can taste the yams! Some alcohol. Full bodied and smooth for a beer that strong.

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

Received this in a trade with EliottJW. Poured into a Tulip on Thanksgiving, cuz we're classy.

Appearance: Big 3-4 finger head on top of a dark reddish brown beer. Head recedes slowly to 1 finger but never seems to leave. Moderate amounts of lacing. Some floaters swimming around in the brew.

Smell: Sugary sweet smell. Sweet like maple syrup. Sort of a brown sugar kind of scent and some other spices. Does smell quite a bit like a baked sweet potato. Some yeast and caramel malt aroma.

Taste: Maple syrup sweetness, not too overwhelming at first but a little more so as it warms. Then breaks into a spicy sweet potato flavor. Some fruity yeast notes as well as roasted malts. Alcohol provides a bit of a warming feel but it blends pretty well with the syrupy sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol warmth and moderately carbonated. Medium bodied. Smooth, sweet finish.

Drinkability: I took my time with it, I think it took about 2.5 hours to finish the bottle. The sweetness becomes a little cloying, and the alcohol starts to show itself both in the flavor and in your head after a while. Nice body to it though.

Not a bad beer. A different take on fall beer compared to all the other pumpkin ales, but I think it misses the mark.

3.08/5  rDev -18.7%

Not my favorite - ended up trying to finishing most of the bottle myself cause the wife hated it. Was OK paired with some dark chocolate, but all the unique flavors never really came together.

2.08/5  rDev -45.1%

Chestnuts roasting in the kitchen prompted me to open a bottle I originally envisioned opening on Thanksgiving. I am trying this beer with the girlfriend - she is hard at work prepping for tomorrow's Thanksgiving feast while I am happily sinking into the couch.

Beer poured into an Allagash tulip.

A: The beer looks exactly like sweet tea, minus the ice. Despite an aggressive pour, there is absolutely no head, nor any semblance of carbonation or bubbles rising to the top.

S: This was the strong point of the beer. Very interesting scents with initial notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and raisins. At first I did not detect the yams but the aroma became more distinguished as the beer warmed slightly in the glass. Some of the smells really do (for me at least) conjure up images of fall.

M: The mouthfeel was very weak, which I would attribute primarily to the aforementioned lack of carbonation. It lacked any sort of body. Tangy, and not in a good way.

T: Exhibits some qualities of the more typical Belgian brown ale. However, the more I have, the less I can discern the attributes of the style and the more I notice the yams and spices. It becomes overpowering. There is a bitterness that lingers long after the sip and I find myself wanting to cleanse my palate after each sip.

D: Not good. The bitter aftertaste makes more than a smallish glass of this untenable. There is quite an alcohol wallup - noticed by both me and the girlfriend - which is hidden quite well. As I prefer my beers on the strong side, I view this as a positive.

Overall, this beer was memorable, but for the wrong reasons. I applaud the Bruery for their creativity, but in my (admittedly) novice opinion, the Autumn Maple just doesn't work. If they can get the carbonation worked out, I would be curious to try a small glass on tap next year, but I will not be buying another bottle. Ever. I am looking forward to the Bruery (hopefully) redeeming itself in the bottle of Saison Rue that I will be opening shortly.

3.57/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Light golden color. Goldfish and clear.

S: Strong honey. A resemblance of mead.

T: Starts with honey and yam and finishes with baked beans. Yes..I can taste baked beans.

M: Light, fruity but slightly viscous.

O: A good beer from The Bruery. I'm glad they tried something different for their fall seasonal..not sure it really beat the good ol' pumpkin ale though. It definitely got very sweet towards the end. Good beer overall.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

Wow this stuff is killer. Pours a reddish-copper with some head that quickly dissipates.

Smells heavily of booze and spices. Very sweet and boozy, its a pleasant taste, but gets to be too much over time.

A fair amount of carbonation, but the alcohol just makes it tough to drink more than a few ounces of it. Like I said, a pleasant taste, but very hard to drink.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Bruery tulip glass

Pours a very dark brown/copper color with a small light brown head which dissipates rather quickly into a fizzy top layer, leaving no lacing behind. Wow. The aroma is really strong on this one. This began with a strong aroma of Belgian yeast and burnt caramel, with hints of allspice and molasses. Oh yeah.... and YAMS. The first sip was quite spicy, with a sweet backend, almost tasted like teriyaki sauce. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice all dominate the flavor up front, but burnt caramel and sweet yams to end It. There is also a very noticeable spice from the alcohol content. Mouthfeel on this is kind of syrupy, while displaying a great amount of carbonation. Just like someone mentioned earlier, kind of a medicinal feel to it. I think this is a great, and creative interpretation on this style of beer. Cheers to The Bruery for keeping it creative and different, while maintaining the high-quality we have come to expect from them.

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%

A- A hazy brown redish haze of a beer. I guess it looks like brown or a pumpkin, there is almost no head.

S- I smell maple, hints not nutmeg, even smaller amount of allspice. I get some Belgium yeast in this. I know that this has a better aroma, or I hope it does. I'm going to let this warm up and see if it reviews. The real disappointment is how strong the aroma is not.

T- Lots of molasses, thick and sweep yams coats the tongue. Once the beer is gone, a buttery sweet maple taste coats the tongue. Savory but still very sweet from the imperial brown malt background. I think I would like to have something to off set the sweetness, almost a salty or bitter or burn to it. I'm thinking of maple bacon or ham, but with no salt. This beer is just so smooth and syrupy and Belgium.

M- very sweet, savory due to the buttery maple coating. Very thick, carbonation. Really coats the whole tongue. There is surprising no burn from the 10% alcohol, but this is common and to be expected by the Bruery.

O- This is a solid deconstruction of Fall flavors recombined into a sweet thick and mapley beer. While it has the flavors of fall, I think the combination could be combined and tamed into something better. I want some more savor in my sweetness of fall. Overall I will drinking another one of theses while eating left overs of cold turkey.

3.97/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this today at The Bruery.

Poured copper brown with a khaki head that slowly dissipated.

I smelled brown sugar right off the bat, some spicy cinnamon, and some molasses, though not really yammy or vegetal to me.

Tastewise, I did detect some yammy sweetness if that makes sense. Nice brown sugar and molasses profiles as well, maybe even a little nutmeg. I'd say the big flavor in this was the brown sugar/molasses notes. Good carbonation on this as well, nice mouthfeel.

I liked this mostly because I was expecting an overly spiced big sweet potato pie, but instead I got some good balance between the sweetness and the spice--good body and good balance. And the ABV was also well-hidden.

I bought the barrel-aged version in a bottle as well, so I can't wait to compare the two.

3.59/5  rDev -5.3%

My search for the perfect autumn ale has lead me to try this in the middle of spring. Why not! The weather is cool probably for the last time in a long while so let's go.

Beautiful red orange color. A tan head sits on top for a while. A very pretty beer.

Lots of spices in the smell with cloves and yams and sweetness.

I have to give credit to emmasdad who said this is Thanksgiving dinner in a bottle. Exactly right. Everything is here except the turkey and the stuffing. This beer has a huge flavor profile that softens as it warms. We tried it with some honey ham and then some apple pie and it was terrific with both. The alcohol is more pronounced when cold but as it warms up, it takes a back seat to the rest of the autumn explosion.

I've been disappointed several times searching for a good autumn seasonal ale. This one fills the bill nicely. While it's definitely a niche beer those who like this sort of thing will be rewarded. Next fall, I'll be popping the cork on more of these.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery