Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,829 | Reviews: 588
4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: dark amber, earthy brown, a bit hazy
Nose: fig, plum, dark fruit, hint of booze/maple
Taste: sweet but not cloying, plums, raisons, root vegetables like carrots and rutabaga
Mouthfeel: Light to Medium body, nothing remarkable, but what you'd expect from the style

Overall this brew was great. This was a brew from 2011, was cellared properly, and was overall a great beer. Not too long ago I had this fresh, and was impressed. This was different, but still good.

I would not seek this out, however, I enjoyed thoroughly

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Very classy looking beer, burgundy in color, off white/tan head doesn't last too long. Smell is oak, pumpkin spices, brown sugar, green tea, not much maple. The maple comes out a tiny bit more in the taste but is still disappointingly subtle. The yam I think has a cleaner less punchy flavor than pumpkin which in my opinion is a good thing. Pumpkin can be very pungent depending on the species and ripeness and I've definitely enjoyed a minority of the many pumpkin beers that I've tried; sufficed to say I'm not the greatest pumpkin beer fan. Mouth feel is good, decent amount of carbonation, medium bodied, a little bit of alcohol spice on the finish. The alcohol is actually very well hidden in this beer. Overall I think if you're going to call out the main ingredient in a beer then it should be front and center, the maple is too subtle. But that's about my only serious complaint. The yam works amazingly well as a pumpkin replacement. The flavor is extremely well balanced, the pumpkin spices are not overpowering. A perfect beer to enjoy on a cold evening cozied up in front of a roaring fire.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

We had this on-tap at the pb taproom. It was poured into a chimay goblet, medium brown in color with very little head. Not really a very strong smell to speak of. The taste was heavy on the fall spices with especially strong nutmeg. Really too heavy with the spices but nevertheless very smooth despite the high abv. The malty brown ale base was quite tasty with some discernable belgian esters and phenols. Tough to finish the whole glass with all the heavy spicing.

4.45/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from he bottle into a tulip glass.

Very pleasant beer to look at, dark reddish brown with a finger or so or off white head that eventually fades to just a ring and a tiny whisp on top. Nice lacing throughout. Smell is nice and sour at first then the sweet vanilla maple and pumpin pie spices hit me. A bit like the smell of Pumking though more subdued and complex with the sourness. There is a lot going on in the taste of this beer, again very complex. Big bready sour funk up front followed quickly by those pumkin pie spices, can also really taste quite a bit of sweet potato at points but not always. All together it's something like thanksgiving dinner or a hearty fall breakfast. A lot of earthiness, could have sworn it tasted distinctly like collard greens at one point. Nice roasted/burnt/charred root vegetable in the aftertaste to go along with that earthiness. 10% alcohol is well hidden here. Again, very complex and enjoyable. A little thin and watery in the mouth but everything else here more than makes up for that in my opinion.

Overalll I really like this beer and found it very complex with quite a bit going on inside. Very good as an alternative to the standard pumpkin varieties you see around this time of year. Pick it up if you can still find it. Also says on the bottle you can cellar it for up to 5 years so I picked up another one to try next fall or the one after.

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

I've been paying attention to The Bruery ever since tasting their outstanding Orchid White a few months back. It also helps that I live pretty close to their brewery in Southern California. This one's a bit of a misfire. It sounds great on the lable, "Belguim style brown ale brewed with molasses, maple syrup and spices." I can totally see myself ripping that recipe out of a homebrew magazine and brewing it on a Sunday afternoon with the NFL on in the background. Unfortunately, like a lot of beers that stray a little too far from the Reinheitsgebot, this one sounds a lot better than it tastes. It pours nice, good head...dark orangish brown hue...just what you'd expect from an Autumn Maple. The nose has a lot of maple/malt, not much fruit/yeast or hops. The taste is not very nuanced...heavy on the maple. Maple syrup imparts a very distinct flavor on beer but the flavor isn't exacly maple. I'm not sure what it is but it isn't good. You can taste a little of the yams and that's interesting. Apparently this one can be cellared for up to 5 years...maybe it will mellow into something a little more interesting with age.

Recommended Music Pairing - Wilco - Being There

2.05/5  rDev -45.6%

Just had this beer on thanksgiving dinner along with a several 6 or 7 other belgian styled beers.
Beer has a rich dark color and pour's nice, settles with no head quickly.
Smell is sweet strong like an extract
Taste: is a very heavy sweet taste with an overload of flavors. I kept smelling a compost pile in my glass with an offending aftertaste of shoe polish, alcohol
Mouthfeel: almost to much to grasp, balance is weird it's all sweet maple syrup... yams?
Overall: I didn't like this beer and I could not get anyone to drink more than half a glass, I think its got to much going on at once. We enjoyed lots of other belgian styled beers and we like them but I won't buy this one again, If you buy this beer do not open it > Wait at least 1 year. This beer is not aged.

3.77/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tap at Toronado.

Dark brown with a nice tan head. Good clarity.

Smells of fall spices, yeast spiciness, and a earthy flavor. Some sweetness on the nose as well.

Taste was a little disspointed as I figured the beer would have more caramel flavors, and a little more yam. Taste is sweet with a slight carmel, spiciness from the spice additions and the yeast.

Mouthfeel is okay, but a little light for a big dark beer.

Drinkability is actually pretty good for a 10% beer. I would say that the sweetness is the only thing that kept me from having another.

I think the beer may have been a little cool and that I had some unfair expectations of what this beer was and should taste like. It was a good beer just not what I expected.

3.49/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A little different than your average fall pumpkin beer. The belgian esters add a unique balance to the yams . This is my first yam beer, a root vegetable which in cooking typically adds less sweetness than pumpkin. As a result the belgian yeast and residual sugar added the needed sweet balance.

Overall a unique tasty beer, the only drawbacks were the minmal maple flavor and thee lack of cool weather in San Diego to truly enjoy this beer on the porch but who can complain with Thanksgiving outdoors.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

the appearance was great, let me explain it had a transparencey of orange and brown, I could see the carbonation, I was drinking it from a Duvel tulip glass, the smell was great i could smell the sweet syrup and yams. the taste was clear almost not heavy in which the ingredients indicate. Mouthfeel was great i could take slow sips, i could savor the flavor. the drinkability was not heavy on the stomach, enjoy.

4.75/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

aged a little but tasted really good

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

Great Belgium fall style, but sets itself part by staying away from pumpkin and turning to yams instead.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

a vigorous pour among four glasses produced an intense three inch highly carbonated head. the pour released a wonderful autumn smell in my nose.

the yams and maple syrup are an interesting and complex combination that pleased the entire crowd. the belgian brown style adds to this complexity and makes it more lively the first day of autumn. the high carbonation gives this strong brew a great and deceiving bite.

as much as i like this brew i'm glad i had more than one friend to share it with because it may be a bit too for myself. now that i know this one i plan on buying it again so i can better mix it into a session. give this a shot, it may surprise you.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

O: A maple syrup brown with a very light translucence. Thick off-white head forms that lingers for quite a while leaving delicate lacing. Looks quite a bit like an American Brown Ale.

S: Pumpkin pie spices initially, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves. Then a very malty, starchy background follows. All those yams make smelling this reminiscent of sweet potato pie. Rich and substantial aroma here, perfect for fall.

T: A touch of sweetness up front, followed very balanced hops. The spices are clearly evident but not overwhelming. This all gives way to a very malty backbone that covers your palette and fills your mouth. The finish is honestly like swallowing a bite of chilled sweet potato pie.

M: Medium to heavy body. It does wash down your throat fairly cleanly, but there's a little chewiness to it as well. A good balance.

O: A nice balanced, moderate brew for Bruery's more typically bold style.

2.78/5  rDev -26.3%

Man was I let down by this one. I had high hopes for this beer, and this is the first time the Bruery hasn't knocked my socks off.

A: 750 mL bottle poured into tulip glass. Pours a fairly clear brownish red with an off white one finger head.

S: Yams, yams, more yams, a bit of nutmeg and other spice, and more yams. I can pick up trace hints of alcohol and Belgian phenols behind the yam onslaught.

T: Pretty much what the nose suggested. There are traces of toasted malt, phenolic flavors, spice and sweetness, but all of it is crushed by the dominate yam flavor. Just way too much, totally out of balance. Maybe age will help?

M: Good, a pleasant heaviness that doesn't become too viscous or clinging. Moderate carbonation

D: Awful. On one hand the alcohol was very well hidden, but the flavors are just so crushing that I couldn't finish more than 4-6 oz before I had to hand off the bottle to a friend, who had less than that before handing it off to the drain.

4.76/5  rDev +26.3%

Holy sh*t. These past couple of years, I've been a huge pumpkin beer fan. I went into New Beer in NYC and asked the owner what's a beer that's rare and going quick and he pointed me to this. Thank the LORD.

Pour is beautiful. The perfect amount of head, sustained, right into a tulip glass. Lacing is perfect, sustained streaks on the side of the glass.

Aroma - as advertised. Maple syrup, yam, autumnal spices...all mixed perfectly.

Full disclosure, I drank a Cigar City Good Gourd quickly after this so I may have killed some of the Bruery's flavors too soon. That said, I remember a perfectly balanced beer, the yam flavor mixed well with the sugar from the molasses. A perfect example of an autumnal beer, not too sweet, not too pumpkin-y. Could have many more of these.

Taste the sweetness of the maple. Yams are subtle. Enjoyed this with Buttermilk Blue and Red Rock Cheeses.

3.02/5  rDev -19.9%

Purchased the bottle a few weeks ago in Santee. Was in the mood for some holiday beers and binged on about a half dozen bottles, including this one.

Aroma: Faint caramel with hints of raisins and other dried fruit. Medium esters with slight tangy notes, reminiscent of belgians but not overtly so. Some slight spice, but subdued.

Appearance: ZERO head, not even the faintest ppffftt when uncapping. murky brown color with some orange tint. Kinda like muddy water.

Flavor: Tangy sourness is most apparent. A little insipid, but some caramel maltiness is apparent. Brown sugar is subtle and blends with esters to produce dark fruit character. Overall, not too pleasant. Can't really taste spices or maple.

Mouthfeel: Full body, but totally lacking carbonation which should be evident in a belgian inspired style. Problem with bottling line as some other reviewer noted? Alcoholc warmth is smoot and background.

Overall, not especially pleased given the price, but I like supporting local beers. So will try again next year (if its around) to see if problems solved.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Picking through the selection of Bruery bottles at Ledger's in Berkeley, I grabbed this one to try.

Pours smooth with a mellow head that washes around nice and evenly, like a beer tide. A lovely dark apricot color.

Nose is as advertised: spice and syrup and brown sugar.

Tastes like a savory holiday pie, with a bready and dark spice background.

Mouthfeel is nice, with medium body and mellow carbonation.

Drinkability stretches as far as your taste for the spice flavor. I read in someone eles's review that they drank it with Thanksgiving dinner, and that sounds perfect.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

750 ml bottle administered by myself and a good buddy several weeks ago.

Appearance - Beneath a half inch ecru head, a ruddy brown achievement presented itself with an overt acknowledgement of most prudish carbonation! An instantaneous improvement from last year's inauguration of Autumn Maple.

Smell - A flagitious act of converting Mother's kitchen on Thanksgiving into spicy liquid bread! A phenolic hint of clove propels this seasonal beverage accompanied by trails of brown sugar, yams, and molasses to follow the nose. There are substantial cinnamon & sweet scents that act as a testament to the Autumnal equinox.

Taste - Hits you from numerous corners! The ambrosial use of spices edict the buds. The brown sugar and molasses finely counterbalance the phenols, as booze infused yams come in for the sip's cessation.

Mouthfeel - Creamy & bodacious with immeasurable girth! Undoubtedly this sits alongside the most full bodied ales that The Bruery has conceived to date.

Drinkability - I rarely say this, but I would dissuade anybody into devouring a 750ml on their own. For me, this is an exclusive moment to where a compartmented pour is doubtlessly most ideal for a serving. The old saying of "less is more", couldn't be more true!

2.6/5  rDev -31%

A- Dark reddish brown pour with thin white head, no lacing.

S-Earthy, rasin, maple syrup

T- Light pumpkin pie spice sweetness, even though this beer is made with sweet potatoes it has a typical pumpkin beer flavor. Some malt and a little alcohol, little or no hop bitterness. For a beer with maple in it's name I can't really taste it.

M- Light carbonation. Champagne like bubbles on the tip of the tongue. Slight malt aftertaste.

O- Not a bad beer but kinda mild.  Rather disappointed. Kinda reminiscent of an English brown with a little sugar and spice thrown in. I had expected a much bolder beer with much more maple and fall flavors.

2.51/5  rDev -33.4%

I had high hopes for this beer, but that was not to be the case.

My first Bruery beer, and I don't think I will be buying this again next year.

Smell is clove, some yams, and just a tinge of alcohol. First sip was awkward. I didn't know what to think of it. Taste is of yams and spice, with a slight alcohol burn (to be expected at 10%). I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it.

As it warmed, I thought it would get better, but I was wrong. Slightly boozy, sweet, and yam tasting. Bitter finish. Moderate mouthfeel. Definitely not my cup of tea. I've never drain poured a beer, but I definitely thought about it, and struggled to get the last few gulps down.

I split this with a friend and he shared the same sentiments as me. I understand this is supposed to be an alternative take on a pumpkin beer, but nothing about this reminded me of pumpkin or pumpkin pie. It was more like my grandma's sweet potato marshmallow casserole that didn't turn out right.

I guess you either love it or hate it.

4.79/5  rDev +27.1%

Served on tap at the Bruery tasting room.

A: Nice brown color with a tint of rusty orange. Not much of a head, but some lingering foam throughout. Looks to be moderately carbonated.

S: Wow. This beer smells incredible. Take a bunch of cooked yams and coat them with about half a bottle of Aunt Jemima and take a big whiff. Other spices come through strong on the nose, cinnamon, vanilla, aroma of a fresh baked bread. Makes me hungry.

T: Thanksgiving dinner liquified. This is by far the best autumn beer tasted to date. The yams obviously plow through out of the gate, but as the beer warms and opens, all other spices really work well together. The beer literally melts in your mouth. With all the commotion, one can still appreciate that this is a belgian brown ale.

M: Perfect carbonation, like a soft cooked yam melts away on your tongue. Alcohol very well balanced for being a 10.5% monster. Give me a glass of this and send me to an apple orchard and I'm a happy man.

D: Very drinkable. Despite all the yam flavor and spices, the beer is not too thick that it is filling. Great from the tap.

Awesome beer, awesome brewery. Like whats going on there and look forward to many future offerings.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance 5/5
Poured a dark brown with a nice thin head that stuck around until beer was finished. Beer appeared a bit thin in the glass.

Aroma 4/5
The Aroma was very good. Very sweet. The maple smell is strong with evidence of cinnamon, nutmeg and other American Harvest spices. The yam smell is quite faint.

Taste 4.0/4.5
Very sweet and Maple/Molasses flavoring is very strong with first sips. The finish is clean and warming. Leaves a malty alcohol taste in the mouth. Maple/Molasses flavor is strong throughout with a nice nutmeg spice giving it bite. Yams take a backseat to the stronger Maple flavor but the flavor profile is present.

Mouthfeel 4.0/4.5
I expected based on it's sweet aroma and color that it would be a bit thicker. Carbonation is very nice and the beer goes down smooth. The beer has a biting aftertaste I attribute to the alcohol. For all the sweetness, it ends a bit on the bitter side.

Drinkability 4/5
Alcohol is on the higher side, but the body is mild. Not thin, but thinner than a dark brown. Alcohol is strong. Beer is warming with a nice maple + nutmeg taste reminiscent of the flavors associated with the harvest season. Very good autumn beer to pair with a traditional autumn meal.

Other
Tasted with a dinner of Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin and Sweet Potatoes. Good beer. I plan to buy several bottles. Paired very well with the sweet potatoes and tenderloin.

3.56/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a very pretty cloudy amber, with a quickly disappearing off-white head. Minimal sweet and spicy smell (although the minimal part might be my allergy nose), couldn't pick out any of the specific spices. Lots of malty sweet potato flavor with clear cinnamon and nutmeg. Carbonation is pretty overpowering, needed to wait for that to settle down before tasting each sip.

I like this and would drink it again, probably won't seek it out, at least until next fall.

4.11/5  rDev +9%

Used about a half cup with peppercorns, paprika and nutmeg to make a reduction glaze for a top sirloin med rare in cast iron skillet.

Served at 54 degrees, in a goblet, no tulips available.

A. rich amber, with light tan head dropped quickly.
S. yam, pumpkin, cinnamon, earthly almost grassy at the end.
T. rally a great fall beer, made me wish i had this two months ago, fall spices with a note of yam, pumpkin, and i even got a little bananas.
M. lightly coating but not too syrupy
D. This was great with food. the peppercorn's spiciness was well balanced by the sweetness of the beer. I don't think that i could drink two of these in one sitting because of the overall flavors becoming more overwhelming as the beer warms towards room temp.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery