Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Reviews: 591 | Hads: 1,880
3.52/5  rDev -7.1%

Live in Texas and this was hard to get for me
A: Mahogany, poured pretty aggressive which made a mess
S: Yams maple syrup clove brown sugar.
T: Maybe im too much of a noob but i thought it tasted alot like DFH Punkin Ale. I mean in a blind taste test with the exception of the alcohol coming through i wouldnt be able to tell the difference.
M: Heavy with the alcohol burning all the way down
O: Good but not worth the hassel of finding a website that would ship to me. Maybe ill get another and let it sit for a year.

3.45/5  rDev -9%

Poured a light brown/orange color. Very unfortunate in the head department as there was no real head to speak of. A few bubbles formed but quickly fizzed away. Looks are not everything a complete lack of head?

Ok, the smell...Wow, the smell on this brew is good. Does not smell like a beer at all actually but has some nice warm spicy notes (some stemming from the yeast I imagine) along side a heaping of yams.

The taste, without a doubt this is a very interesting brew. You can definitely taste the yams right up front. The hints of spices come through followed by a taste that I cant quite pinpoint...it's actually probably the molasses & maple syrup. The hops are kept to a minimum.Though on the back end of things, there's an odd aftertaste that I don't find too pleasant.

It does feel nice in the mouthfeel department. Full bodied an syrupy with very little carbonation. This beer packs a bunch at 10.5% ABV. It's a very interesting brew that's big on yams but I can recommend to try, but in the end, it's not my cup of tea...and I'm a big pumpkin/spice ale fan

4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Went down to the Charleston Beer Exchange in downtown Charleston, SC. They have "Rare Beer Tuesday's" which happens to be today, 09/29/09.

I poured it from the growler and noticed the dark hazy color, almost like sweet tea. There was no real head on the beer, maybe 2 fingers at most and off-white in color, which had a very short retention time.

It smells like grandma's house on Thanksgiving. Immediately my nose was greeted with cinnamon, clove, maple syrup, brown sugar, almost like a candied ham or yam for that matter.

The taste is an orchestra of cinnamon, brown sugar, clove with an aftertaste of candied yams and vanilla icecream mixed together, you know when you burp up candied yams after Thanksgiving dinner. A very Southern taste!

This is definately very drinkable, especially when in good company, and a beer to share for sure. The alcohol leaves a perfect burn in the back of your throat, very nice on a cold day.

I highly recommend this beer for the fall. The beer creates a perfect equation for fall and winter, all you need is Autumn Maple(+)Friends(+)A Fire(X)Cold weather and you will be sure to have a good time.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

750ml into my ol' workhorse, the dogfish 22oz snifter. Pours out a deep auburn/reddish-brown, slightly murky, 1/2" head falls to heavy fog and a solid ring. Slow falling lace. The aroma is pretty muted, beer might be too cold, so I'm gonna give it a minute to warm... Ok, so not a huge improvement in the smell, I'm getting a sweet Belgian aroma, some spice, both yeasty and added, perhaps some hints of orange. I'm not picking up a whole lot of malt character, which isn't awesome for a brownish beer. The flavor is an interesting maple-milk chocolate, nice and round with a slight alcohol character, this definitely tastes "young," and I could see this aging wonderfully. The spices are nice and mellow, but there. The bitterness is good and strong with an interesting cinnamon bite. I'm not really sure what the yams bring to the table. The mouthfeel is pretty good, although the alcohol is definitely there, which hurts it. The finish is nice and clean. Overall this beer drinks pretty well, only really hindered by the alcohol, which I figure is going to smooth over with a little time. I'm gonna grab a pair of these to throw into the cellar, I'm super pumped these guys are in Ohio now!

4.4/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured a beautiful reddish haze. Thick creamy slightly orange head with great retention.

Smell and taste mirror one another. The maple was present, but not too sweet. Belgian yeasts, vanilla, a touch of spice from either the cinnamon or the nutmeg. Perfect warmth from the alcohol. The balance was great. Often times these fall seasonal offerings are overpowered by their one dimensional main ingredient.

The mouthfeel was a nice medium to thick consistency, with nice dancing on the tongue from the carbonation. This is definitely more of a session beer for me, and I don't think that I could drink too many glasses.

Although it's pricey, I'm glad I picked up two bottles. I'll save the other one for a month or two.

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

750 ML bottle, shared w/myself, by myself, on a lonely and cold night in November.

Appearance is inviting, nicely carb'd, good reddish brown hued beer. Good head, retention is low - dissipates quickly.

Smell is nice. Not super complex in the nose. Get a nice sense of the base beer, really like the barrel version but this one is a good substitute.

Taste is great! Wow, really nice this regular version. Lots of flavors and very complex even without the barrel treatment. This beer is right up my alley. The taste is a sneaker as it comes up swinging from a smell/nose that isn't as complex. I get the yams, some residual sugar.

Mouthfeel is nice, full bodied but medium in "weight." Refreshing and zesty carbonation.

Overall this is a nice beer, feel good about recommending this one as a good, lower priced version, of the barrel-aged AM. Will definitely buy more!

4.02/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: dark amber, earthy brown, a bit hazy
Nose: fig, plum, dark fruit, hint of booze/maple
Taste: sweet but not cloying, plums, raisons, root vegetables like carrots and rutabaga
Mouthfeel: Light to Medium body, nothing remarkable, but what you'd expect from the style

Overall this brew was great. This was a brew from 2011, was cellared properly, and was overall a great beer. Not too long ago I had this fresh, and was impressed. This was different, but still good.

I would not seek this out, however, I enjoyed thoroughly

3.87/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

L- the look is possibly one of the best parts, a perfect deeper red with a hint of orange mixed in.

S-Belgian yeast,spciy,dark fruits

T-spicy esters from the yeast, dark fruits a slight banana from the yeast. nutmeg ,clove,cinnamon.

F-Nice carbonation the yams add a nice thick chewy feel. medium body.

O- overall a nice spiced seasonal ale that is a nice change from pumpkin. For the price and flavor it's always good for a once a year buy.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Very classy looking beer, burgundy in color, off white/tan head doesn't last too long. Smell is oak, pumpkin spices, brown sugar, green tea, not much maple. The maple comes out a tiny bit more in the taste but is still disappointingly subtle. The yam I think has a cleaner less punchy flavor than pumpkin which in my opinion is a good thing. Pumpkin can be very pungent depending on the species and ripeness and I've definitely enjoyed a minority of the many pumpkin beers that I've tried; sufficed to say I'm not the greatest pumpkin beer fan. Mouth feel is good, decent amount of carbonation, medium bodied, a little bit of alcohol spice on the finish. The alcohol is actually very well hidden in this beer. Overall I think if you're going to call out the main ingredient in a beer then it should be front and center, the maple is too subtle. But that's about my only serious complaint. The yam works amazingly well as a pumpkin replacement. The flavor is extremely well balanced, the pumpkin spices are not overpowering. A perfect beer to enjoy on a cold evening cozied up in front of a roaring fire.

3.53/5  rDev -6.9%

We had this on-tap at the pb taproom. It was poured into a chimay goblet, medium brown in color with very little head. Not really a very strong smell to speak of. The taste was heavy on the fall spices with especially strong nutmeg. Really too heavy with the spices but nevertheless very smooth despite the high abv. The malty brown ale base was quite tasty with some discernable belgian esters and phenols. Tough to finish the whole glass with all the heavy spicing.

4.45/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from he bottle into a tulip glass.

Very pleasant beer to look at, dark reddish brown with a finger or so or off white head that eventually fades to just a ring and a tiny whisp on top. Nice lacing throughout. Smell is nice and sour at first then the sweet vanilla maple and pumpin pie spices hit me. A bit like the smell of Pumking though more subdued and complex with the sourness. There is a lot going on in the taste of this beer, again very complex. Big bready sour funk up front followed quickly by those pumkin pie spices, can also really taste quite a bit of sweet potato at points but not always. All together it's something like thanksgiving dinner or a hearty fall breakfast. A lot of earthiness, could have sworn it tasted distinctly like collard greens at one point. Nice roasted/burnt/charred root vegetable in the aftertaste to go along with that earthiness. 10% alcohol is well hidden here. Again, very complex and enjoyable. A little thin and watery in the mouth but everything else here more than makes up for that in my opinion.

Overalll I really like this beer and found it very complex with quite a bit going on inside. Very good as an alternative to the standard pumpkin varieties you see around this time of year. Pick it up if you can still find it. Also says on the bottle you can cellar it for up to 5 years so I picked up another one to try next fall or the one after.

2.05/5  rDev -45.9%

Just had this beer on thanksgiving dinner along with a several 6 or 7 other belgian styled beers.
Beer has a rich dark color and pour's nice, settles with no head quickly.
Smell is sweet strong like an extract
Taste: is a very heavy sweet taste with an overload of flavors. I kept smelling a compost pile in my glass with an offending aftertaste of shoe polish, alcohol
Mouthfeel: almost to much to grasp, balance is weird it's all sweet maple syrup... yams?
Overall: I didn't like this beer and I could not get anyone to drink more than half a glass, I think its got to much going on at once. We enjoyed lots of other belgian styled beers and we like them but I won't buy this one again, If you buy this beer do not open it > Wait at least 1 year. This beer is not aged.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

I've been paying attention to The Bruery ever since tasting their outstanding Orchid White a few months back. It also helps that I live pretty close to their brewery in Southern California. This one's a bit of a misfire. It sounds great on the lable, "Belguim style brown ale brewed with molasses, maple syrup and spices." I can totally see myself ripping that recipe out of a homebrew magazine and brewing it on a Sunday afternoon with the NFL on in the background. Unfortunately, like a lot of beers that stray a little too far from the Reinheitsgebot, this one sounds a lot better than it tastes. It pours nice, good head...dark orangish brown hue...just what you'd expect from an Autumn Maple. The nose has a lot of maple/malt, not much fruit/yeast or hops. The taste is not very nuanced...heavy on the maple. Maple syrup imparts a very distinct flavor on beer but the flavor isn't exacly maple. I'm not sure what it is but it isn't good. You can taste a little of the yams and that's interesting. Apparently this one can be cellared for up to 5 years...maybe it will mellow into something a little more interesting with age.

Recommended Music Pairing - Wilco - Being There

3.77/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tap at Toronado.

Dark brown with a nice tan head. Good clarity.

Smells of fall spices, yeast spiciness, and a earthy flavor. Some sweetness on the nose as well.

Taste was a little disspointed as I figured the beer would have more caramel flavors, and a little more yam. Taste is sweet with a slight carmel, spiciness from the spice additions and the yeast.

Mouthfeel is okay, but a little light for a big dark beer.

Drinkability is actually pretty good for a 10% beer. I would say that the sweetness is the only thing that kept me from having another.

I think the beer may have been a little cool and that I had some unfair expectations of what this beer was and should taste like. It was a good beer just not what I expected.

3.49/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A little different than your average fall pumpkin beer. The belgian esters add a unique balance to the yams . This is my first yam beer, a root vegetable which in cooking typically adds less sweetness than pumpkin. As a result the belgian yeast and residual sugar added the needed sweet balance.

Overall a unique tasty beer, the only drawbacks were the minmal maple flavor and thee lack of cool weather in San Diego to truly enjoy this beer on the porch but who can complain with Thanksgiving outdoors.

4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

the appearance was great, let me explain it had a transparencey of orange and brown, I could see the carbonation, I was drinking it from a Duvel tulip glass, the smell was great i could smell the sweet syrup and yams. the taste was clear almost not heavy in which the ingredients indicate. Mouthfeel was great i could take slow sips, i could savor the flavor. the drinkability was not heavy on the stomach, enjoy.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

O: A maple syrup brown with a very light translucence. Thick off-white head forms that lingers for quite a while leaving delicate lacing. Looks quite a bit like an American Brown Ale.

S: Pumpkin pie spices initially, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves. Then a very malty, starchy background follows. All those yams make smelling this reminiscent of sweet potato pie. Rich and substantial aroma here, perfect for fall.

T: A touch of sweetness up front, followed very balanced hops. The spices are clearly evident but not overwhelming. This all gives way to a very malty backbone that covers your palette and fills your mouth. The finish is honestly like swallowing a bite of chilled sweet potato pie.

M: Medium to heavy body. It does wash down your throat fairly cleanly, but there's a little chewiness to it as well. A good balance.

O: A nice balanced, moderate brew for Bruery's more typically bold style.

3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

a vigorous pour among four glasses produced an intense three inch highly carbonated head. the pour released a wonderful autumn smell in my nose.

the yams and maple syrup are an interesting and complex combination that pleased the entire crowd. the belgian brown style adds to this complexity and makes it more lively the first day of autumn. the high carbonation gives this strong brew a great and deceiving bite.

as much as i like this brew i'm glad i had more than one friend to share it with because it may be a bit too for myself. now that i know this one i plan on buying it again so i can better mix it into a session. give this a shot, it may surprise you.

2.78/5  rDev -26.6%

Man was I let down by this one. I had high hopes for this beer, and this is the first time the Bruery hasn't knocked my socks off.

A: 750 mL bottle poured into tulip glass. Pours a fairly clear brownish red with an off white one finger head.

S: Yams, yams, more yams, a bit of nutmeg and other spice, and more yams. I can pick up trace hints of alcohol and Belgian phenols behind the yam onslaught.

T: Pretty much what the nose suggested. There are traces of toasted malt, phenolic flavors, spice and sweetness, but all of it is crushed by the dominate yam flavor. Just way too much, totally out of balance. Maybe age will help?

M: Good, a pleasant heaviness that doesn't become too viscous or clinging. Moderate carbonation

D: Awful. On one hand the alcohol was very well hidden, but the flavors are just so crushing that I couldn't finish more than 4-6 oz before I had to hand off the bottle to a friend, who had less than that before handing it off to the drain.

4.76/5  rDev +25.6%

Holy sh*t. These past couple of years, I've been a huge pumpkin beer fan. I went into New Beer in NYC and asked the owner what's a beer that's rare and going quick and he pointed me to this. Thank the LORD.

Pour is beautiful. The perfect amount of head, sustained, right into a tulip glass. Lacing is perfect, sustained streaks on the side of the glass.

Aroma - as advertised. Maple syrup, yam, autumnal spices...all mixed perfectly.

Full disclosure, I drank a Cigar City Good Gourd quickly after this so I may have killed some of the Bruery's flavors too soon. That said, I remember a perfectly balanced beer, the yam flavor mixed well with the sugar from the molasses. A perfect example of an autumnal beer, not too sweet, not too pumpkin-y. Could have many more of these.

3.02/5  rDev -20.3%

Purchased the bottle a few weeks ago in Santee. Was in the mood for some holiday beers and binged on about a half dozen bottles, including this one.

Aroma: Faint caramel with hints of raisins and other dried fruit. Medium esters with slight tangy notes, reminiscent of belgians but not overtly so. Some slight spice, but subdued.

Appearance: ZERO head, not even the faintest ppffftt when uncapping. murky brown color with some orange tint. Kinda like muddy water.

Flavor: Tangy sourness is most apparent. A little insipid, but some caramel maltiness is apparent. Brown sugar is subtle and blends with esters to produce dark fruit character. Overall, not too pleasant. Can't really taste spices or maple.

Mouthfeel: Full body, but totally lacking carbonation which should be evident in a belgian inspired style. Problem with bottling line as some other reviewer noted? Alcoholc warmth is smoot and background.

Overall, not especially pleased given the price, but I like supporting local beers. So will try again next year (if its around) to see if problems solved.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Picking through the selection of Bruery bottles at Ledger's in Berkeley, I grabbed this one to try.

Pours smooth with a mellow head that washes around nice and evenly, like a beer tide. A lovely dark apricot color.

Nose is as advertised: spice and syrup and brown sugar.

Tastes like a savory holiday pie, with a bready and dark spice background.

Mouthfeel is nice, with medium body and mellow carbonation.

Drinkability stretches as far as your taste for the spice flavor. I read in someone eles's review that they drank it with Thanksgiving dinner, and that sounds perfect.

4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

750 ml bottle administered by myself and a good buddy several weeks ago.

Appearance - Beneath a half inch ecru head, a ruddy brown achievement presented itself with an overt acknowledgement of most prudish carbonation! An instantaneous improvement from last year's inauguration of Autumn Maple.

Smell - A flagitious act of converting Mother's kitchen on Thanksgiving into spicy liquid bread! A phenolic hint of clove propels this seasonal beverage accompanied by trails of brown sugar, yams, and molasses to follow the nose. There are substantial cinnamon & sweet scents that act as a testament to the Autumnal equinox.

Taste - Hits you from numerous corners! The ambrosial use of spices edict the buds. The brown sugar and molasses finely counterbalance the phenols, as booze infused yams come in for the sip's cessation.

Mouthfeel - Creamy & bodacious with immeasurable girth! Undoubtedly this sits alongside the most full bodied ales that The Bruery has conceived to date.

Drinkability - I rarely say this, but I would dissuade anybody into devouring a 750ml on their own. For me, this is an exclusive moment to where a compartmented pour is doubtlessly most ideal for a serving. The old saying of "less is more", couldn't be more true!

2.6/5  rDev -31.4%

A- Dark reddish brown pour with thin white head, no lacing.

S-Earthy, rasin, maple syrup

T- Light pumpkin pie spice sweetness, even though this beer is made with sweet potatoes it has a typical pumpkin beer flavor. Some malt and a little alcohol, little or no hop bitterness. For a beer with maple in it's name I can't really taste it.

M- Light carbonation. Champagne like bubbles on the tip of the tongue. Slight malt aftertaste.

O- Not a bad beer but kinda mild.  Rather disappointed. Kinda reminiscent of an English brown with a little sugar and spice thrown in. I had expected a much bolder beer with much more maple and fall flavors.

2.51/5  rDev -33.8%

I had high hopes for this beer, but that was not to be the case.

My first Bruery beer, and I don't think I will be buying this again next year.

Smell is clove, some yams, and just a tinge of alcohol. First sip was awkward. I didn't know what to think of it. Taste is of yams and spice, with a slight alcohol burn (to be expected at 10%). I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it.

As it warmed, I thought it would get better, but I was wrong. Slightly boozy, sweet, and yam tasting. Bitter finish. Moderate mouthfeel. Definitely not my cup of tea. I've never drain poured a beer, but I definitely thought about it, and struggled to get the last few gulps down.

I split this with a friend and he shared the same sentiments as me. I understand this is supposed to be an alternative take on a pumpkin beer, but nothing about this reminded me of pumpkin or pumpkin pie. It was more like my grandma's sweet potato marshmallow casserole that didn't turn out right.

I guess you either love it or hate it.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery