Autumn Maple - The Bruery

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Autumn Maple Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 526-550 | 551-575 | 576-600  | next › last »
Ratings: 1,829 | Reviews: 588
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a snifter at the Root Note in La Crosse, WI.

A - A dirty reddish-brown. 1-finger eggshell head.

S - Malt, yeast, ester. I can't smell any discernible maple or spices.

T - The alcohol has a strong presence in this beer. Yeast, but lacking some of the harsh phenol tones. Biscuity malt. Very sweet, in some ways similar to Kombucha tea. A hint of spices. The yam becomes more present as the beer warms.

M - Medium weight with a sticky feeling from the sugar.

O - At 10% ABV this is a serious beer. A bit too sweet for my tastes, but it plays the part of a fruit/vegetable beer well without tasting like a dessert.

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

On tap at Tripel in Playa Del Rey served in a tulip glass. First pours off a fresh keg, not cold.
The hazy brown color bode well, a yam ale should be unclear. The smell was lightly spiced.
The taste started lightly spiced like the smell, then the sweet maple flavor came thru and it was warming, wonderful and washed over my taste buds like syrup, not the mouth feel but everything else I like about it. Each sip was better and better as it warmed.
We had 2 more and each was better but I wouldn't recommend doing that again as the 10% abv in this libation had us feeling very festive.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Takes a pleasant orange-amber color out of the bottle. Thick luxurious head that lathers nicely and makes itself at home for a while.

S: Thanksgiving in a bottle. Candied yams, brown sugar, spice bread (!!!), dates, walnuts, pecans. Warm and inviting. Really nice.

T: Spicy and yammy. Fills the mouth with a well-blended mixture of sweetness and spice. Caught a light bourbon burn on the back end along with a drier finish.

MF: Satin, with some carbonation that tingles, but doesn't rush you to gulp it down quickly. A brew to savor.

O: I really enjoyed this one. Carried an unpretentious "home-cooked" feel that reminded me of holidays past. Definitely a seasonal taste, but one I definitely wanted and appreciated. Gotta grab some more!

4.81/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I know other people have slammed this, but I loved it. My god the nose on this beer is unreal.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

A – It almost looks like apple cider. A little bit of head that disapates gradually. Dark golden brown in color and cloudy.

S – Sweet potatoes and nutmeg. Brown sugar... I suppose that’s the molasses. The booze is faintly detectable.

T – Wow! I’m drinking T-Day dinner. Much like it smells; sweet potatoes, molasses, and spices.

M – Thick, rich, and creamy.

O – I love it. While it’s very rich, it is very well-balanced. It’s sweet, but not too sweet. It’s boozy, but not too boozy. It’s spiced, but not overly spiced. Dare I say, move over Pumking, I’ve got a new favorite Fall beer. “Blasphemy!” you might say. I know! I know… but… this is VERY good. And, this is the first beer that I’ve had that is brewed with YAMS. Unique and delicious; if you haven’t already, this is a must try.

Cheers!

4.95/5  rDev +31.3%

Just cracked this a couple days ago on the back deck on one of these beautiful early autumn nights with a friend. Cellared two years and I don't know if it has improved dramatically, but this was a beauty of a beer. Read about ten past user reviews and think they are downright nuts.

Although it is not truly a "pumpkin beer" - the yams fill in quite admirably here with regards to fall harvest vegetables. Unfiltered with a beautiful bright orange color - it is an unbelievably nuanced and balanced beer. Aroma, flavor, texture - everything just clicked. By far the best "pumpkin beer" I have ever tried - far outranked the Southern Tier Pumking, which was one of my favorites last year (yet has changed this release being remarkedly more vanilla flavored).

It does not look like Georgia will be getting any of this gem, at least from what I can tell from my vantage point. I have another couple Bruery selections in the cellar now for two years - Rugbrod will be next.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Definitely on the sweeter side with a rich auburn appearance and one finger of light brown head. It had some nice cinnamon and nutmeg notes but its spices and flavors were muted overall by the intense, somewhat cloying yam-y sweetness of the beer. It was still a pretty decent beer in my opinion (caveat: I have a hardcore sweet tooth).

I'd definitely only recommend it as a desert beer for someone who really loves yams.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

A- Dark Brown, slightly translucent, a head that was small at first, but began to build and remained thin for the rest of the drink.

S- Sweet potatoes, Syrup, slight booziness.

T- Wow... yams, syrup, thanksgiving. Very sweet, while not being too sweet. Hides the alcohol extremely well compared to the smell and being a 10%. This would be a wonderful Thanksgiving or winter brew.

M- Medium mouthfeel, creamy and smoooth. LIGHTLY carbonated.

O- Wonderful beer, I would definitely try it again. It's one of those sweeter, fruitier beers I wouldn't normally try but my friend had a bottle and gave me a glass. I'm usually more into IIPA's and Stouts but this is really interesting. Definitely worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Pours a hazy copper color with a tan head.

S- Lots of spice and dark fruit scents of yams

T- Spice, maple, and caramelized dark fruit flavors. Yams are even more evident than in the smell.

M- Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation.

D- This is a nice brew that's easy to drink. It's definitely a change of pace from your usual fall seasonal pumpkins. I had no problem finishing off a 64 oz. growler and was left feeling nice with the 10.50% ABV.

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

The label says they used yams, molasses, maple syrup, and fall spices to make this strong Belgian-style ale; I think the brewers emptied a fully stocked horn o' plenty into the mash tun. But the beer was good--for the most part.

My 750 ml bottle unleashes a dark brown torrent. Carbonation roars skyward in a mushroom cloud of foam--then crashes down and disappears before I can jot a note about its creamy, off-white color (I have a good memory). So where's the head? Did someone slip Diet Coke into my beer bottle again? A sniff reveals maple syrup. My first sip finds more maple syrup chased by sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and spicy Belgian yeast. Its body is light with cola-like carbonation. An intensely sweet brew, but aside from that, there's not a ton going on here. The flavors don't kick you in the teeth and shout "taste it!" the way a Chimay Blue or De Dolle Oerbier does. Autumn Maple simply didn't linger long on my palate.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

750ml/tulip - pours a beautiful dark amber red, with a generous 2inch off white head, which dissipates somewhat fast. nice lacing on this one, creeps down the glass. Aroma - Metallic, brown sugar, dirt. Tastes of sweet maple, mild spiciness, and dark fruits, very unique and hides the 10% abv amazingly. very smooth over the palate, 0 alcohol burn, very little carbonation, a nice sweet malty finish. Overall this beer is surprisingly light bodied and very drinkable. this could get dangerous....

4.74/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From the local watering hole on tap. Pub Pint.

One taste and I ordered a growler to go.

It was like I walked into our local apple orchard store and someone hit me in the face with a pumpkin pie and dozen apple crisp donuts. Then told me it wasn't made from either.

Not a big fan of the fruit and veggie beers. I was really surprised at how well this beer was done. Pumpkin, sweet potato, ginger, brown sugar, maple all the wonderful smells of fall.

A must have for anyone who likes the pumpkin style beers, perfect for autumn.

2.98/5  rDev -21%

I was very excited to try this beer since it was brewed with yams, spices, and maple. However, I was very disappointed when the it poured with no head whatsoever. Little to no carbonation. Great aroma and flavors going on, but it tasted like a beer right after fermentation - flat and sweet. The beer is bottle conditioned so maybe I got one that just didn't carbonate. Gave it a 1.5 on drinkability because my friends and I had to dump it down the drain. Sad.

« first ‹ prev | 526-550 | 551-575 | 576-600  | next › last »