Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Autumn Maple - The Bruery

Autumn MapleAutumn Maple

The Bruery visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall
firstprev| 526-550 | 551-575 | 576-600  | next → last
Reviews: 593 | Hads: 1,884
2.6/5  rDev -31.4%

A- Dark reddish brown pour with thin white head, no lacing.

S-Earthy, rasin, maple syrup

T- Light pumpkin pie spice sweetness, even though this beer is made with sweet potatoes it has a typical pumpkin beer flavor. Some malt and a little alcohol, little or no hop bitterness. For a beer with maple in it's name I can't really taste it.

M- Light carbonation. Champagne like bubbles on the tip of the tongue. Slight malt aftertaste.

O- Not a bad beer but kinda mild.  Rather disappointed. Kinda reminiscent of an English brown with a little sugar and spice thrown in. I had expected a much bolder beer with much more maple and fall flavors.

2.51/5  rDev -33.8%

I had high hopes for this beer, but that was not to be the case.

My first Bruery beer, and I don't think I will be buying this again next year.

Smell is clove, some yams, and just a tinge of alcohol. First sip was awkward. I didn't know what to think of it. Taste is of yams and spice, with a slight alcohol burn (to be expected at 10%). I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it.

As it warmed, I thought it would get better, but I was wrong. Slightly boozy, sweet, and yam tasting. Bitter finish. Moderate mouthfeel. Definitely not my cup of tea. I've never drain poured a beer, but I definitely thought about it, and struggled to get the last few gulps down.

I split this with a friend and he shared the same sentiments as me. I understand this is supposed to be an alternative take on a pumpkin beer, but nothing about this reminded me of pumpkin or pumpkin pie. It was more like my grandma's sweet potato marshmallow casserole that didn't turn out right.

I guess you either love it or hate it.

4.79/5  rDev +26.4%

Served on tap at the Bruery tasting room.

A: Nice brown color with a tint of rusty orange. Not much of a head, but some lingering foam throughout. Looks to be moderately carbonated.

S: Wow. This beer smells incredible. Take a bunch of cooked yams and coat them with about half a bottle of Aunt Jemima and take a big whiff. Other spices come through strong on the nose, cinnamon, vanilla, aroma of a fresh baked bread. Makes me hungry.

T: Thanksgiving dinner liquified. This is by far the best autumn beer tasted to date. The yams obviously plow through out of the gate, but as the beer warms and opens, all other spices really work well together. The beer literally melts in your mouth. With all the commotion, one can still appreciate that this is a belgian brown ale.

M: Perfect carbonation, like a soft cooked yam melts away on your tongue. Alcohol very well balanced for being a 10.5% monster. Give me a glass of this and send me to an apple orchard and I'm a happy man.

D: Very drinkable. Despite all the yam flavor and spices, the beer is not too thick that it is filling. Great from the tap.

Awesome beer, awesome brewery. Like whats going on there and look forward to many future offerings.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance 5/5
Poured a dark brown with a nice thin head that stuck around until beer was finished. Beer appeared a bit thin in the glass.

Aroma 4/5
The Aroma was very good. Very sweet. The maple smell is strong with evidence of cinnamon, nutmeg and other American Harvest spices. The yam smell is quite faint.

Taste 4.0/4.5
Very sweet and Maple/Molasses flavoring is very strong with first sips. The finish is clean and warming. Leaves a malty alcohol taste in the mouth. Maple/Molasses flavor is strong throughout with a nice nutmeg spice giving it bite. Yams take a backseat to the stronger Maple flavor but the flavor profile is present.

Mouthfeel 4.0/4.5
I expected based on it's sweet aroma and color that it would be a bit thicker. Carbonation is very nice and the beer goes down smooth. The beer has a biting aftertaste I attribute to the alcohol. For all the sweetness, it ends a bit on the bitter side.

Drinkability 4/5
Alcohol is on the higher side, but the body is mild. Not thin, but thinner than a dark brown. Alcohol is strong. Beer is warming with a nice maple + nutmeg taste reminiscent of the flavors associated with the harvest season. Very good autumn beer to pair with a traditional autumn meal.

Tasted with a dinner of Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin and Sweet Potatoes. Good beer. I plan to buy several bottles. Paired very well with the sweet potatoes and tenderloin.

3.56/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a very pretty cloudy amber, with a quickly disappearing off-white head. Minimal sweet and spicy smell (although the minimal part might be my allergy nose), couldn't pick out any of the specific spices. Lots of malty sweet potato flavor with clear cinnamon and nutmeg. Carbonation is pretty overpowering, needed to wait for that to settle down before tasting each sip.

I like this and would drink it again, probably won't seek it out, at least until next fall.

4.11/5  rDev +8.4%

Used about a half cup with peppercorns, paprika and nutmeg to make a reduction glaze for a top sirloin med rare in cast iron skillet.

Served at 54 degrees, in a goblet, no tulips available.

A. rich amber, with light tan head dropped quickly.
S. yam, pumpkin, cinnamon, earthly almost grassy at the end.
T. rally a great fall beer, made me wish i had this two months ago, fall spices with a note of yam, pumpkin, and i even got a little bananas.
M. lightly coating but not too syrupy
D. This was great with food. the peppercorn's spiciness was well balanced by the sweetness of the beer. I don't think that i could drink two of these in one sitting because of the overall flavors becoming more overwhelming as the beer warms towards room temp.

3.7/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a snifter at the Root Note in La Crosse, WI.

A - A dirty reddish-brown. 1-finger eggshell head.

S - Malt, yeast, ester. I can't smell any discernible maple or spices.

T - The alcohol has a strong presence in this beer. Yeast, but lacking some of the harsh phenol tones. Biscuity malt. Very sweet, in some ways similar to Kombucha tea. A hint of spices. The yam becomes more present as the beer warms.

M - Medium weight with a sticky feeling from the sugar.

O - At 10% ABV this is a serious beer. A bit too sweet for my tastes, but it plays the part of a fruit/vegetable beer well without tasting like a dessert.

4.55/5  rDev +20.1%

On tap at Tripel in Playa Del Rey served in a tulip glass. First pours off a fresh keg, not cold.
The hazy brown color bode well, a yam ale should be unclear. The smell was lightly spiced.
The taste started lightly spiced like the smell, then the sweet maple flavor came thru and it was warming, wonderful and washed over my taste buds like syrup, not the mouth feel but everything else I like about it. Each sip was better and better as it warmed.
We had 2 more and each was better but I wouldn't recommend doing that again as the 10% abv in this libation had us feeling very festive.

4.12/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Takes a pleasant orange-amber color out of the bottle. Thick luxurious head that lathers nicely and makes itself at home for a while.

S: Thanksgiving in a bottle. Candied yams, brown sugar, spice bread (!!!), dates, walnuts, pecans. Warm and inviting. Really nice.

T: Spicy and yammy. Fills the mouth with a well-blended mixture of sweetness and spice. Caught a light bourbon burn on the back end along with a drier finish.

MF: Satin, with some carbonation that tingles, but doesn't rush you to gulp it down quickly. A brew to savor.

O: I really enjoyed this one. Carried an unpretentious "home-cooked" feel that reminded me of holidays past. Definitely a seasonal taste, but one I definitely wanted and appreciated. Gotta grab some more!

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

A – It almost looks like apple cider. A little bit of head that disapates gradually. Dark golden brown in color and cloudy.

S – Sweet potatoes and nutmeg. Brown sugar... I suppose that’s the molasses. The booze is faintly detectable.

T – Wow! I’m drinking T-Day dinner. Much like it smells; sweet potatoes, molasses, and spices.

M – Thick, rich, and creamy.

O – I love it. While it’s very rich, it is very well-balanced. It’s sweet, but not too sweet. It’s boozy, but not too boozy. It’s spiced, but not overly spiced. Dare I say, move over Pumking, I’ve got a new favorite Fall beer. “Blasphemy!” you might say. I know! I know… but… this is VERY good. And, this is the first beer that I’ve had that is brewed with YAMS. Unique and delicious; if you haven’t already, this is a must try.

4.95/5  rDev +30.6%

Just cracked this a couple days ago on the back deck on one of these beautiful early autumn nights with a friend. Cellared two years and I don't know if it has improved dramatically, but this was a beauty of a beer. Read about ten past user reviews and think they are downright nuts.

Although it is not truly a "pumpkin beer" - the yams fill in quite admirably here with regards to fall harvest vegetables. Unfiltered with a beautiful bright orange color - it is an unbelievably nuanced and balanced beer. Aroma, flavor, texture - everything just clicked. By far the best "pumpkin beer" I have ever tried - far outranked the Southern Tier Pumking, which was one of my favorites last year (yet has changed this release being remarkedly more vanilla flavored).

It does not look like Georgia will be getting any of this gem, at least from what I can tell from my vantage point. I have another couple Bruery selections in the cellar now for two years - Rugbrod will be next.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Definitely on the sweeter side with a rich auburn appearance and one finger of light brown head. It had some nice cinnamon and nutmeg notes but its spices and flavors were muted overall by the intense, somewhat cloying yam-y sweetness of the beer. It was still a pretty decent beer in my opinion (caveat: I have a hardcore sweet tooth).

I'd definitely only recommend it as a desert beer for someone who really loves yams.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

A- Dark Brown, slightly translucent, a head that was small at first, but began to build and remained thin for the rest of the drink.

S- Sweet potatoes, Syrup, slight booziness.

T- Wow... yams, syrup, thanksgiving. Very sweet, while not being too sweet. Hides the alcohol extremely well compared to the smell and being a 10%. This would be a wonderful Thanksgiving or winter brew.

M- Medium mouthfeel, creamy and smoooth. LIGHTLY carbonated.

O- Wonderful beer, I would definitely try it again. It's one of those sweeter, fruitier beers I wouldn't normally try but my friend had a bottle and gave me a glass. I'm usually more into IIPA's and Stouts but this is really interesting. Definitely worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Pours a hazy copper color with a tan head.

S- Lots of spice and dark fruit scents of yams

T- Spice, maple, and caramelized dark fruit flavors. Yams are even more evident than in the smell.

M- Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation.

D- This is a nice brew that's easy to drink. It's definitely a change of pace from your usual fall seasonal pumpkins. I had no problem finishing off a 64 oz. growler and was left feeling nice with the 10.50% ABV.

3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

The label says they used yams, molasses, maple syrup, and fall spices to make this strong Belgian-style ale; I think the brewers emptied a fully stocked horn o' plenty into the mash tun. But the beer was good--for the most part.

My 750 ml bottle unleashes a dark brown torrent. Carbonation roars skyward in a mushroom cloud of foam--then crashes down and disappears before I can jot a note about its creamy, off-white color (I have a good memory). So where's the head? Did someone slip Diet Coke into my beer bottle again? A sniff reveals maple syrup. My first sip finds more maple syrup chased by sweet potatoes, brown sugar, and spicy Belgian yeast. Its body is light with cola-like carbonation. An intensely sweet brew, but aside from that, there's not a ton going on here. The flavors don't kick you in the teeth and shout "taste it!" the way a Chimay Blue or De Dolle Oerbier does. Autumn Maple simply didn't linger long on my palate.

4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

750ml/tulip - pours a beautiful dark amber red, with a generous 2inch off white head, which dissipates somewhat fast. nice lacing on this one, creeps down the glass. Aroma - Metallic, brown sugar, dirt. Tastes of sweet maple, mild spiciness, and dark fruits, very unique and hides the 10% abv amazingly. very smooth over the palate, 0 alcohol burn, very little carbonation, a nice sweet malty finish. Overall this beer is surprisingly light bodied and very drinkable. this could get dangerous....

4.74/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From the local watering hole on tap. Pub Pint.

One taste and I ordered a growler to go.

It was like I walked into our local apple orchard store and someone hit me in the face with a pumpkin pie and dozen apple crisp donuts. Then told me it wasn't made from either.

Not a big fan of the fruit and veggie beers. I was really surprised at how well this beer was done. Pumpkin, sweet potato, ginger, brown sugar, maple all the wonderful smells of fall.

A must have for anyone who likes the pumpkin style beers, perfect for autumn.

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

I was very excited to try this beer since it was brewed with yams, spices, and maple. However, I was very disappointed when the it poured with no head whatsoever. Little to no carbonation. Great aroma and flavors going on, but it tasted like a beer right after fermentation - flat and sweet. The beer is bottle conditioned so maybe I got one that just didn't carbonate. Gave it a 1.5 on drinkability because my friends and I had to dump it down the drain. Sad.

firstprev| 526-550 | 551-575 | 576-600  | next → last