Partridge In A Pear Tree - The Bruery

Partridge In A Pear TreePartridge In A Pear Tree

The Bruery visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Partridge in a Pear Tree is the first in the 12 Days/Years of Christmas Series. Brewed in the style of a Belgian-style Dark Strong Ale, brewed with our brewery-made dark candi sugar, Munich and Vienna malts. Dark brown in color, fruity and complex with a rich malt backbone. This is a simple yet immensely complex beer meant to be savored and shared with friends and family.

(Beer added by: DoubleJ on 12-07-2008)

mrsdrabmuh, Jan 02, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Huge thanks to Amyliz4 for sharing this bottle. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a moderately-dark brown with a good light tan head. Nice spotty lacing and a thin collar. The nose carries some strong dark fruits and a bit of sweet malt. Quite a bit of stuff going on there. I'm impressed, as I hadn't heard the best things about this. Malt provides a really nice backing presence. No discernible alcohol presence. Flavor is quite rich with a medley of dark fruits. Some very mild earth. Medium body and pretty chewy. Super smooth. Really excited to finally try this one and glad it lived up to the hype.

Thorpe429, Jan 02, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottle shared by Amyliz4. Muchas gracias.

The beer appears dark brown with a quarter inch of tan head. The aroma is fabulous, with prominent yeast and malt, brown sugar, caramels, toffee. Smells Belgian and wonderful. Fabulous taste. Easily one of the best American examples of a quad I have tasted. Brown sugar and molasses are tempered by a bready yeast presence. Medium bodied and silky smooth on the palate. Overall, a very good beer that I am ecstatic to try.

Huhzubendah, Jan 01, 2012

bombadil, Nov 15, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

imperialking, Nov 15, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into three snifters. Extra special thanks to HeatherAnn and StevePens for the assist!

A: Pours a deep, muddy, russet color with faintly lighter highlights towards the edges. An off-white head of about 1 finger lingered for a decent amount of time before melting down to a clumpy skim that left a surprising amount of lace behind.

S: Loads of caramel, toffee, and nuts. Dark fruit was present as was some booziness. Some spiciness, as well, but this smelled more like an English Barleywine and/or Old Ale than a Quad to us.

T: Hmmm. Tastes just as it smells with a suggestion of oxidation. Not a deal breaker, but not completely endearing either.

M: Far too slick, lifeless, and thin. Sorely lacking in the interesting facets of a true Quad that keep the palate engaged.

O: We were really hoping for so much more than what we got. This was the first beer of the evening (and before the food, too) so we couldn't chalk this up to palate fatigue. The oxidation has me wondering what people who collect these to do a 12 year vertical are going to get many years down the road.

GbVDave, Aug 14, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

Found my notes for this in my old notebook. No date on the page, but sometime in the summer of 2009.

A: The beer pours a very dark amber color, some brownish qualities to it, with a finger and a half of off-white head.

S: Smells intensely sweet. Lots of raisins and plums, maybe a bit of fig. Some caramel and molasses notes to it. Also some prominent spice notes, maybe nutmeg and cinnamon.

T: More of the same on the palate. Sweet dark fruits and sugar overwhelm you. It's almost syrupy, in fact. Booze, spice, caramel, molasses, plums, and raisins sum up the different flavors well.

M: Quite full in body with a low carbonation which doesn't help.

O: Sort of a mess. Funny that at the time I didn't think much of this beer and as a result got rid of this beer for almost nothing in return.

womencantsail, Mar 20, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -3%

Poured(into a Bruery tulip & Delirium Tremens snifter) from a bottle that has been stored correctly since it was bottled.

The initial impression was an aroma of soy sauce and bruised figs and over ripe fig/raisin/prune/plum. After the bottle was open for several minutes, the beer warmed in the glass and started to come into its own.

SIGHT: The color was a dark brown mahogany with copper highlights.

SMELL: The beer smelled of figs, dark raisin, rum cake, molasses, green olive, soy sauce, coke syrup . Oxidation is starting to play a role here.

TASTE: The taste is very sweet and some lingering spice. The age of the beer is making it hard to put words to specific fruits and non fruits. It mainly matches what the nose is showing.

OVERALL: The beer is still tasty (sweetnees dominated) but it showing signs of age and I don't really seeing it going for the long haul. I would say this beer has 2 years left before it starts to fall apart. The soy sauce and the green olive notes worry me for any beer 3 years in its existance.

msimmons32, Jan 17, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

From notes:

Pours a very dark ruby red/chestnut brown color with bright red/mahogany edges when held to a light source and a 1.5 frothy yellowish beie head. Decnt retention, slowly fading into a laying ring that leaves sporadic spots of lacing behind.

Sweet dark fruit aroma with zest, peppery spice, Candi sugar and slight medicinal syrup. Hints of raisin, fig, plum and date.

Full bodied with a pretty prominent malt backbone that balances out the sweet dark fruit, peppery spice and cough syrup notes. Pretty sweet and spicy up front with lots of candy sugar, pepper, grape, raisin, plum and fig. Slightly dry finish with subtle alcohol warmth but overall a well masked ABV.

corby112, Dec 30, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -1%

42nd review on BA
Bottle to tulip.

App- It's a watered down brown color with burgundy highlights that poured with very little head on it maybe a 1/2"

Smell- My wife said it smelled like soy sauce to her. Smelled like a malt overload and it has a nice pairing of fig and raisins.

Taste- It's very sweet with a lingering taste on the back of the mouth. I'm so confused as to what's going on with this beer. I had such high hopes that it was going to be my first A+ rating but it wont be. I hope as I hold onto the 2nd bottle and crack it open in 9 more years it will age nicely. I'm not saying it's bad by anymeans. I just expected more.

Mouth- It's a sweet drinking beer that needs to be taken slowly and enjoyed. It does have some bite to it and the carbonation level is a little low to me.

Drink- It's one of those times where I am glad I didn't give up a small fortune to get something I wanted. It was great to have this and can't wait for the next one at the end of the series.

*Intresting note- Got the wife to try it. She comments, " What is wrong with you people? How do you like this stuff?"

FosterJM, Nov 07, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Christmas in July!

With an upcoming move, I won't risk this one...

A: Deep chestnut-amber with a slight haze, light tan head, thin ring of retention leaves a little leg.

S: Plum pudding. Enough said.

T: Sponge toffee, figs, brown sugar, golden raisins, candied fruit, nectarines, modest bitterness, slight alcohol warmth.

M: Fairly full body with a moderate residual sweetness for the style.

D: A 'sweet' sipper.

Derek, Jul 25, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

Found this in a liquor store in Frederick, MD

S: Strong raisins, figs, sweet toffee, nuttiness, caramel, rich.

L: Very dark brown, nice light tan head that dissipates.

T: Sweet sticky toffee like malt, undercurrent of bold dark fruits. Mild alcoholic bitterness leads to fading of fruits to chocolate dryness. Very mellow butter pecan flavor follows. Finishes quite neutral.

M: Rich velvety fullness.

A very rich and sweet beer, the alcohol actually works here to keep it from being a boozy mess. I really liked the flavors in this, very dessert like. Wish i had another one to age a bit, still a treat to try.

bum732, Jul 02, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -14.9%

I bought this bottle with the intention of holding on to it to complete a vertical, but unfortunately, that's not how things worked out.

I was taking inventory of my bottles today, and accidentally dropped this one. It didn't break, but the cap lost pressure, and it began to gush, so my fate was sealed, and I opened it the rest of the way.

The appearance on this one is a turbid cinnamon and molasses.

It smells like a pile of freshly ground raisins and figs with a pinch of cinnamon and spiked with booze.

After almost a year and a half, I would have expected more from the flavor on this one. It's still cloyingly sweet, like a thick syrupy cider. Spiciness is prominent, with cinnamon taking the lead from start to finish. Boozy.

While I don't care for how sweet, spicy, and hot this beer tastes, I appreciate the mouthfeel. It's thick, soft, and coating. I'm drinking something substantial here.

At this point, drinkability is this beer's biggest fault. I don't think it was ever intended to be a 750ml you'd drink yourself, but I'm having a hard time even getting through my first glass.

This is a nice beer to have as an investment to sell to someone else in the future, but I have a hard time imagining it will EVER be worth the price I expect some people will pay for it to complete their vertical.

In closing, I think I probably lost a lot of money in drinking this thing today, but after trying it, I'm pretty confident, that if I chose to keep it for the next few years, the level of disappointment I'd feel when I finally opened it would be even worse than what I was feeling when I saw the cap starting to gush today. At least I got that out of the way.

portlandjeff, Apr 20, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to the mothman for providing this beer.

Pours a deep raisin brown color with almost a cinnamon hue. Looks maroon when held up to the light.

Smell is awesome, very rich. Lots of rich toffee, dried fruits, cinnamon, and roasty malts.

Taste is big and flavorful. Lots of spice, seems to be cinnamon. Dried fruits come through as well with a slightly hot finish, the 11% ABV is definitely detectable. Good beer, nice flavorful quad but there is a little bit of off flavor in the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a pleasant level of carbonation.

Drinkabliity is pretty good, it still seems a little hot but should develop nicely over time.

pmccallum86, Apr 18, 2010