Saison De Lente - The Bruery

Saison De LenteSaison De Lente

The Bruery visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Our Spring Saison is light blonde in color with a fresh hoppiness and a wild and rustic Brettanomyces character. Lighter in color and alcohol than our Saison Rue, yet equally complex in its own way.

The wild yeast in Saison de Lente will continue to dry it out over time, giving a slightly more mature character to vintage bottles. Perfect for warmer weather picnics and Spring celebrations.

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009)
1.5/5  rDev -62.6%

TeamD, Mar 04, 2012
1.98/5  rDev -50.6%

I don't know if I got a bad bottle, a young bottle or if that's just the way it's supposed to taste, but this beer was very unbalanced and not drinkable at all.

The appearance was great, golden straw color, fairly clear for a bottle conditioned beer and a massive rocky head that lasted for a long time. Poured into a tulip glass. Once the head died down a bit, there was quite a bit of lacing.

The aroma was thin, a little earthy, very little Brett. character, no funkiness. There was a tiny bit of tart lemony smell but was rather weak overall.

Taste was WAY out of balance, I tasted no specific hoppiness, but it was harshly bitter, barely detected any malt to go along with the bittering. What malt was there was not sweet; it was slightly bready, but that's about all the malt contributed.

Mouth feel was a little odd, very chalky and dry at first yielding to a full bodied creaminess. The carbonation was certainly a contributing factor to the creaminess. To use a phrase from a fellow beer judge "it was a foam sammich". Highly carbonated.

Drinkability suffered due to the unbalanced flavor of the beer. I LOVE hoppy beers, but the bitterness was over the top. The chalky mouthfeel also killed it for me. I found it hard to finish the two glasses I poured.

Overall, I WANTED to like this beer after reading all the positive reviews, but the bottle I had was HARSH and nothing like saisons I've had before. I might not have even minded the bitterness if there was also hop flavor and aroma to go along with it, but this was like drinking a witbier hopped like an IPA, with all the hop additions at 60 minutes.

The only thing I can guess is that this beer needed more age or I got a bad bottle. I'll grab another (on reputation alone) and keep it for a year or so and see if it fares any better. I was very disappointed with this beer

Shaken9, Jul 10, 2010

cosmonick, Mar 31, 2013

bernat1971, Mar 16, 2014

Kaveman, Aug 25, 2013
2.7/5  rDev -32.7%

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Yet another underwhelming, overrated beer from the Bruery. Hazy coppery-yellow color, with a delicate puff of fluffy white head. Aroma of pale malts, light citrus, and crisp, herby hops. Light taste of thin, pale malts, herbs, grass and flowers, light lemon zest, musty, hints of overripe melons. A good amount of complexity going on, but still pretty watery and not very flavorful. Light-medium mouthfeel and fairly drinkable, but not really anything special. Aka a typical Bruery offering. I'm really starting to think they water down their beer...and obviously over-inflate their prices.

Rifugium, Feb 26, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

chippo33, Dec 21, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -28.2%

Hey! Easter Beer. De Lente.... of/from Lent.

A: Larger than desired head of white merengue topping(I stole that from a previous review because it's the best description)

S: Spicy scent with mild hop and malt scent. More yeasty as with the Saisons. Mostly pepper spices.

T&M: Nice and crisp. Similar to aroma but very light for a saison. Light citrus flavor but mostly peppery spice and bitter hop on the finish. Light bodied with heavy carbonation. I let the growler sit for a day with a missing 16-20 oz. and the carbonation died to a more reasonable feel.

I usually like saisons, but this one was disappointing. I notice that the bottle reviews are much higher overall and this may be one that needs to sit with bottle conditioning. I recommend the bottle on this one and may try to find one to taste the difference. Easy to drink but nothing spectacular. It really came off more like a high quality pilsner to me.

cdizinno, Apr 06, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -26.9%

I drank this from a bomber into a tasting glass at EBF.

The beer pours a cloudy medium brown with a light tan head, not much retention or lacing.

The aroma is pretty light, mostly flowers with a sour finish.

The taste is similar with nice floral sourness but the finish is really bitter in a bad way and pretty much ruins the taste for me.

The feel is ok, medium bodied with a dry finish.

Overall, I like the thought but the execution is quite there yet.

jrallen34, Feb 22, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a sparking light golden color with a massive crown of white mousse-like foam. Decent lacing.

Aromas begin with lemon peel and a nice lemon juice freshness. A little earthy and grassiness as you dive back in. Light notes of champagne, white vinous smells as well. Light Brett sourness also become more apparent as it warms.

The tastes begin with slight sour Brett and a well-balanced biscuity and sweet candy maltiness. Next you get some sweet, bitter, spicy, tangy and funkiness from the yeast presumably. As it warms it becomes less drinkable and heavy. I'm sure I dig this "full-bodied" of a Saison. This brew becomes almost cloyingly thick on the malt side which I don't appreciate for this style. It's not bad, per say, but just really too full on the malt end. I enjoy the fruitiness that is there with
pears, tart apple, lemon zest and some yeasty spiciness. Finish is not crisp enough and the mouthfeel is too full bodied and too much carbonation for such a thick light styled beer.

Overall this is a miss for me. Not a bad flavor profile; just not to style and quite thick and abrasive. Lingers on the palate too long for my taste. Misses the drinkability mark by a mile in my opinion.

claspada, Jul 17, 2011
2.96/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

750ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a moderately hazy copper color. The head is a two finger white shade that intensely forms bubbles as it's poured. It recedes fairly quick, and leaves spotty rings of lacing down the glass.

S: There's a nice funky barnyard tone, and a lesser inhale of both citrus and apple peel. The citrusy qualities almost seem hop-derived; always a good thing in my book. Aromatically, it's a little mild for my tastes, but nonetheless pleasant.

T: At first, citrus qualities hit the tongue are quite pleasant, before the funkiness starts to build up. The finish is a combination of citrusy/grassy hops, herbs, and barnyard flavors. I feel like the modicum of complexity it offers isn't quite enough to inspire further sips out of interest. Generally, the flavors here are extremely nondescript, to a fault - and even worse is a note on the back end which is distinctly mineral-esque to the point of being metallic. It's not bad, just insipid.

M: The feel starts off with a decent creaminess, before fading to a moderately dirty dryness on the finish and aftertaste. This dryness doesn't fully last; a syrupy linger coats the palate - one that inhibits drinkability. It seems like the wet, creamy feel exasperates the strength of the already high carbonation to me. On the positive side, it certainly feels lively.

O: This one isn't that great. I can see this one appealing to the masses - but the drinkability isn't fantastic, and it doesn't feature the requisite depth to make it interesting, either. At least this is one of The Bruery's cheapest offerings...at $10/750ml. I've certainly had far more interesting 4/6 packs at the same price (and even far more interesting saisons, for that matter...can you say Tank 7?)

ThisWangsChung, Mar 04, 2013