Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Saison De Lente - The Bruery

Saison De LenteSaison De Lente

The Bruery visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Our Spring Saison is light blonde in color with a fresh hoppiness and a wild and rustic Brettanomyces character. Lighter in color and alcohol than our Saison Rue, yet equally complex in its own way.

The wild yeast in Saison de Lente will continue to dry it out over time, giving a slightly more mature character to vintage bottles. Perfect for warmer weather picnics and Spring celebrations.
Reviews: 494 | Hads: 1,217
2.04/5  rDev -49.4%

I don't know if I got a bad bottle, a young bottle or if that's just the way it's supposed to taste, but this beer was very unbalanced and not drinkable at all.

The appearance was great, golden straw color, fairly clear for a bottle conditioned beer and a massive rocky head that lasted for a long time. Poured into a tulip glass. Once the head died down a bit, there was quite a bit of lacing.

The aroma was thin, a little earthy, very little Brett. character, no funkiness. There was a tiny bit of tart lemony smell but was rather weak overall.

Taste was WAY out of balance, I tasted no specific hoppiness, but it was harshly bitter, barely detected any malt to go along with the bittering. What malt was there was not sweet; it was slightly bready, but that's about all the malt contributed.

Mouth feel was a little odd, very chalky and dry at first yielding to a full bodied creaminess. The carbonation was certainly a contributing factor to the creaminess. To use a phrase from a fellow beer judge "it was a foam sammich". Highly carbonated.

Drinkability suffered due to the unbalanced flavor of the beer. I LOVE hoppy beers, but the bitterness was over the top. The chalky mouthfeel also killed it for me. I found it hard to finish the two glasses I poured.

Overall, I WANTED to like this beer after reading all the positive reviews, but the bottle I had was HARSH and nothing like saisons I've had before. I might not have even minded the bitterness if there was also hop flavor and aroma to go along with it, but this was like drinking a witbier hopped like an IPA, with all the hop additions at 60 minutes.

The only thing I can guess is that this beer needed more age or I got a bad bottle. I'll grab another (on reputation alone) and keep it for a year or so and see if it fares any better. I was very disappointed with this beer

2.71/5  rDev -32.8%

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Yet another underwhelming, overrated beer from the Bruery. Hazy coppery-yellow color, with a delicate puff of fluffy white head. Aroma of pale malts, light citrus, and crisp, herby hops. Light taste of thin, pale malts, herbs, grass and flowers, light lemon zest, musty, hints of overripe melons. A good amount of complexity going on, but still pretty watery and not very flavorful. Light-medium mouthfeel and fairly drinkable, but not really anything special. Aka a typical Bruery offering. I'm really starting to think they water down their beer...and obviously over-inflate their prices.

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

I drank this from a bomber into a tasting glass at EBF.

The beer pours a cloudy medium brown with a light tan head, not much retention or lacing.

The aroma is pretty light, mostly flowers with a sour finish.

The taste is similar with nice floral sourness but the finish is really bitter in a bad way and pretty much ruins the taste for me.

The feel is ok, medium bodied with a dry finish.

Overall, I like the thought but the execution is quite there yet.

2.97/5  rDev -26.3%

Hey! Easter Beer. De Lente.... of/from Lent.

A: Larger than desired head of white merengue topping(I stole that from a previous review because it's the best description)

S: Spicy scent with mild hop and malt scent. More yeasty as with the Saisons. Mostly pepper spices.

T&M: Nice and crisp. Similar to aroma but very light for a saison. Light citrus flavor but mostly peppery spice and bitter hop on the finish. Light bodied with heavy carbonation. I let the growler sit for a day with a missing 16-20 oz. and the carbonation died to a more reasonable feel.

I usually like saisons, but this one was disappointing. I notice that the bottle reviews are much higher overall and this may be one that needs to sit with bottle conditioning. I recommend the bottle on this one and may try to find one to taste the difference. Easy to drink but nothing spectacular. It really came off more like a high quality pilsner to me.

2.98/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a sparking light golden color with a massive crown of white mousse-like foam. Decent lacing.

Aromas begin with lemon peel and a nice lemon juice freshness. A little earthy and grassiness as you dive back in. Light notes of champagne, white vinous smells as well. Light Brett sourness also become more apparent as it warms.

The tastes begin with slight sour Brett and a well-balanced biscuity and sweet candy maltiness. Next you get some sweet, bitter, spicy, tangy and funkiness from the yeast presumably. As it warms it becomes less drinkable and heavy. I'm sure I dig this "full-bodied" of a Saison. This brew becomes almost cloyingly thick on the malt side which I don't appreciate for this style. It's not bad, per say, but just really too full on the malt end. I enjoy the fruitiness that is there with
pears, tart apple, lemon zest and some yeasty spiciness. Finish is not crisp enough and the mouthfeel is too full bodied and too much carbonation for such a thick light styled beer.

Overall this is a miss for me. Not a bad flavor profile; just not to style and quite thick and abrasive. Lingers on the palate too long for my taste. Misses the drinkability mark by a mile in my opinion.

2.99/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

750ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a moderately hazy copper color. The head is a two finger white shade that intensely forms bubbles as it's poured. It recedes fairly quick, and leaves spotty rings of lacing down the glass.

S: There's a nice funky barnyard tone, and a lesser inhale of both citrus and apple peel. The citrusy qualities almost seem hop-derived; always a good thing in my book. Aromatically, it's a little mild for my tastes, but nonetheless pleasant.

T: At first, citrus qualities hit the tongue are quite pleasant, before the funkiness starts to build up. The finish is a combination of citrusy/grassy hops, herbs, and barnyard flavors. I feel like the modicum of complexity it offers isn't quite enough to inspire further sips out of interest. Generally, the flavors here are extremely nondescript, to a fault - and even worse is a note on the back end which is distinctly mineral-esque to the point of being metallic. It's not bad, just insipid.

M: The feel starts off with a decent creaminess, before fading to a moderately dirty dryness on the finish and aftertaste. This dryness doesn't fully last; a syrupy linger coats the palate - one that inhibits drinkability. It seems like the wet, creamy feel exasperates the strength of the already high carbonation to me. On the positive side, it certainly feels lively.

O: This one isn't that great. I can see this one appealing to the masses - but the drinkability isn't fantastic, and it doesn't feature the requisite depth to make it interesting, either. At least this is one of The Bruery's cheapest offerings...at $10/750ml. I've certainly had far more interesting 4/6 packs at the same price (and even far more interesting saisons, for that matter...can you say Tank 7?)

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a massive larger than desired head of white merengue topping. Smell of banana, cloves, apple and a white pepper dusting.

Taste was very similar to aroma, only I thought it was lighter than many other Saisons that I have had. A light citrus flavor is also present from some light hop additions. High carbonation and light mouthfeel. I like saisons, this one was just a little too clean tasting for my liking.

A good amount of carbonation on the forefront finishes with a slick body that coats the mouth. Easy to drink , nothing spectacular.

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

This beer demands patience and denial at first, which is appropriate since it's brewed for the Lenten season. It takes approximately 10 minutes to pour properly because the head is explosive and does not quickly dissipate. But during those first 10 you can enjoy the bright floral nose and the lovely cloudy, golden hue...again perfect for the spring. Is that first sip worth the wait? Not really. For starters, it isn't as crisp and thirst quenching as a saison should be. But the big problem is the bitterness, not a good hoppy bitterness but a skunked lingering bitterness that overwhelms everything else, including any bret sourness. It's brewed for the spring but the bottle suggests it can be aged up to 2 years during which time it will become "drier with earthy wild notes." I drank mine in September; maybe it was skunked but judging from some of the other reviews that's just how it's supposed to taste. Next year for Lent I'll be giving up Saison De Lente.

Recommended Music Pairing: Little Joy - Little Joy

3.19/5  rDev -20.8%

A Golden, not clear, looks appropriate for the style.

S Estery yeast aroma. Not much hop aroma, not much citrus as I would have expected there to be. A little wild yeast aroma.

T Bitter drying astringency is the first impression. Astringency seems more from fermentation than from hops.

M Medium body, carbonation is high but appropriate for a Saison.

D Not a must have second for me. A decent beer, but I probably won't be purchasing another.

3.19/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with three fingers of white thick foam.

Lemon peel with some yeast esters (a bit of clove) and a bit of grain.

Bitter lemon peel with bit of husky grain and finishes with bitter lemon.

Light bodied with low carbonation and crisp, drying feel.

Pretty drinkable although the bitter lemon peel is almost overwhelmingly one note in this beer. I would like to try this beer with 6-12 months on it and see how it develops.

3.21/5  rDev -20.3%

heavily carbonated, the beer gushes from the bottle pouring a perfectly golden color with strong white head. strong lacing. smell is of belgian yeasts. spicy with perhaps some pepper as well. taste is slightly bitter and very dry and almost lagerish. Some alcohol burn which is very strange given this ABV. absolutely no "farmhouse" quality to this beer, more of just a generic belgian pale. Mouthfeel is nice, just what I look for in a saison. nice carbonation. This is an OK beer, but not one of my favorite saisons. The flavor lacks depth and when I drink saisons, i'm looking for just that, along with complexity, "funk" and just something extra. I got none of that.

3.23/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a medium-light gold color with a very active white head that was over 2 inches (partially due to an accidentally aggressive pour. But even the subsequent pours produced a lot of head), and had very good retention with moderate lacing.

The aroma and taste were very much in lock-step, none of the usual variation I generally get with my limited sense of smell. There was the typical yeast and mild spiciness expected from the style, along with just a very slight bit of funk. I didn't pick up the strong hops the label said the beer had.

The body was good, as I find most Saisons to be, medium and smooth, fairly typical. The beer was one of the driest finishing brews I've had in quite some while however, and I really enjoyed this aspect.

Drinkability was very good, again, as I find the majority of the style to be extremely drinkable. Overall, a good, solid take on one of my favorite styles. Certainly worth trying if you see it, but it's not really head & shoulders above the crowd, so I wouldn't put a lot of effort into trying to obtain a bottle.

3.26/5  rDev -19.1%

poured into a tulip,nice hazy golden color with a nice persistent white head with decent lacing.get a bit of orange rind,hay,hint of vanilla,brett.

taste is kinda middle of the road to me.bit of brett funk to begin with,mild citrus ester,sort of floral/herbal stuff going on,mild bitterness,finishes dry.

mouth feel is pretty good,effervescent carbonation.not very refreshing.i feel like this is a toned down version of the saison rue.like most of the bruery's offerings,i think this is a one and done offering for me.pretty good,but not worth the money.

3.27/5  rDev -18.9%

750 ml bottle poured into my Fantome tulip. Upon opening the bottle, there is a loud hiss.

Appearance: Semi transparent golden color with a two finger white head. A lot of carbonation bubbles running up the sides of the glass.

Smell: Sweet, fruity, the non sour component of a lemon, cloves. A tiny bit musty.

Taste: First tasted while still pretty cold. A little bland. Let me let this one warm up. Gets a little better with warmth but still nothing spectacular. I dont want to call it tart because it is not but there is a quality that makes my mouth water as I drink it. Really not too dry of a beer.

Mouthfeel: Thin and very carbonated. I guess it is close to style, however I think a mouthfeel more like Fantome is favorable.

Overall: Not bad but certainly didnt blow me out of the water. Seems pretty standard for the style. The only two reasons I would pick this up again would be to age for the up to two years that the bottle says so I can see the "wild notes" mentioned from the Brett, or to introduce a person to some craft beer because it is a little lighter on flavor, though leaps and bounds above any BMC or the like.

3.34/5  rDev -17.1%

This bottle was the 2010 vintage. It poured a pretty clear golden yellow with a two finger foamy, sudsy white head. It smells of rich spices and pale malts with light bitterness. The flavor is where this goes from pretty standard to not very drinkable for me. It's not as yeasty as I prefer my saisons. It's pretty light. But the most off putting aspect is the bitterness in the flavor. I know it says it's a saison with "fresh hoppiness" and that it has a "rustic Brett character" but they just don't mesh well in my opinion. You don't get funk or a lot of spice, just a lot of bitterness and it's not in an appealing way. This beer isn't aided by its extremely light body. I prefer my saisons murky and medium in body. This one is clear and light. It fits its description as a spring time saison but this one just isn't for me.

3.34/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

6.5% ABV confirmed. Seems a bit low for the style - or at least it doesn't correspond to the ABVs of great beers I've had in the style. Cost was $9.00 at Total Wine Redondo Beach. Label is a peculiar pink/lime. 750ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. 2013 vintage. I'm pretty experienced with saisons and I've had my fair share of beers from The Bruery; expectations are fairly high.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. I let the yeast sediment remain in the glass as I poured per the label's instructions.

A: Pours a four finger head of white colour, smooth soft cream, good thickness, and good (~5 minute) retention - though the ABV is merely above average. Little lacing as the head slowly recedes. Body colour is a hazy translucent opaque yellow-orange. Fairly vibrant. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Appealing in a general sense, but it isn't ideal for the style. I'm excited to try it. There's nothing unique or special about it, though. I don't notice any overt flaws. Overall, it's an above average appearance.

Sm: Orange and lemon citrus fruit esters. Blood oranges. Pale malts. Light biscuit malt. Clove spice. Understated brettanomyces yeast. Lightly funky. I wouldn't dare call it sour. It's not very spicy for a saison. In a great example of the style, I look for peppery and milky notes; they aren't present here. Still, it's undeniably pleasant and inviting. No alcohol is detectable. I'm excited to try it.

T: Clove up front, with some nice lemon and light orange fruit esters. A bit zesty. It lacks spice, to its detriment. No peppery character or milky notes at all. Pale and biscuit malts comprise the foundation. It's pleasant to drink and enjoyable, but it lacks the complexity and subtlety necessary to really succeed in the style. You can't brew a saison as simple as this and expect to compete with Fantome or Dupont; you just can't. It's underwhelming in spite of how pleasant it is to drink. There's just not enough going on here. That said, it's well balanced. A bit grassy. Some light buried peach. Bretts are limited, to its detriment. Any hopping is minimal at best, and generic floral in character. I don't get any alcohol. It's nicely put together, yet wanting.

Mf: Coarseness and dryness aren't quite there; they missed the mark. Carbonation is quite good. Presence on the palate is good. Body is good. Slightly acidic. Not particularly creamy. Suits the flavours well in a general sense, but doesn't feel custom-tailored to them. A bit too thick for the lack of flavour depth and diversity. Slightly sharp.

Dr: Drinkable and pleasant, but far from exemplary. Priced high. Hides its merely above average ABV well. A decent saison from The Bruery, but by no means one I'd get again. Saisons require complexity and subtlety, and this does not bring much to the table. A decent effort, but it falls short. I'll be sticking with other better brewers of the style if I'm going to buy a saison I've had before. That said, it's certainly worth trying. I wouldn't bother aging it. Like it, don't love it.

3.34/5  rDev -17.1%

This pours a crystal clear bright golden color with a snow white one finger dome. Thin fingers of lacing remain in it's wake. A sharp looking brew which beckons me onward.

Brett is the name of the aroma. It dominates everything else to the point of the beer smelling somewhat dull. If you wait a bit you can pick out some flowery aromas as well as some soap. If you use your imagination there's even some citrus.

Taste is very similar to the aroma. Everything is dominated by the barnyard trait. It dulls the experience a bit in my opinion. Unlike every saison I've ever had this one is in no way tart or sour.

Mouthfeel is just about as good as it gets. Somewhat thick, with a good smoothness and fair amount of carbonation.

All in all I wasn't blown away by this beer. It's a style I really enjoy but this isn't one of the better examples.

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass.

A- Mix dijon mustard with hay and this is the color you will get. Has a semi-clear haze. Produces two fingers width of frothy white head.

S- Rather pleasant. Had a nice, fresh horse blanket aroma in the front of the nose. Getting some orange rinds and coriander in there as well. The mild, sweet citrus aroma is a nice contrast to the farmhouse funk.

T- Letdown of titanic proportions. The aroma really pulled a fast on me. The brett was there, but this beer was no where near as complex as the nose led to me to believe. On top of that, the way the flavors played off each other was just off putting. I'm really at a loss for words right now. The only part that seemed right to me was the initial brett flavor. After that a slight bitterness comes in from the hops and citrus rinds. The finish almost seemed like it wanted to have some sort of a fruit flavor, but came up rather bland. Little bit of spice in the finish.

M- Medium to light bodied with lots and lots of carbonation. The beer seemed to foam up the instant it hit the palate.

D- How am I supposed to finish this 750 mL bottle by myself?

Overall, I have had WAY better saisons than this. This is my 3rd offering from the Bruery and to be frank, I have been extremely disappointed in their offerings, especially considering how much praise they get. This will probably be the last one I buy from them.

3.35/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Imbibed at Harry's Hofbrau San Jose for their Bruery tap takeover 2/12/13

Pours a murky yellow with a frothy white head. Lots of lemon and tart citrus up front in the nose accompanied by gentle allspice and clove. A swirl brings out the light pilsner malt base. Flavor is grounded in the slightly tart and metallic Belgian pilsner. Lemon and dull allspice follow with a really mild but noticeable floral hop bitterness. The feel is slightly viscous with a very dry finish. This is a great saison, but I think I prefer Saison Rue.

3.36/5  rDev -16.6%

On tap at Bavarian Lodge in Lisle Il. Served in a 13oz. goblet

It pours a cloudy light orange with a pillowy white cap. Minimal lacing coats the sides

The nose seems really muted for a saison. The typical spicy yeast and lemony notes are there but just not in levels i would have expected. The supposed brett in the beer makes no influence in the nose at all.

The taste was a fairly straight forward saison with a strong lemony component to it and a dry spiciness. Nothing really stands out and I was let down by the non-existent brett character. I was hoping for something with at least a little funkiness like Boulevard Saison-Brett. Maybe I need to grab a bottle and age it because I see it has potential.

The mouthfeel is kind of full and has a slickness to it that is off putting. The carbonation is on the high side which is expected

3.38/5  rDev -16.1%

A: straw to gold. 90 % clear with only minimal cloudiness. Pours a huge pillowy 4 finger head. Super carbed.

S: lemon, spice, funk, citrus hops and feet. Oddly fake mashed potatoes from sixflags great adventure.

T: bitter and sourness from brett. Its definitely funky. Brett funk is so different. This is my first non lacto sour beer.

M: cleansing to the pallet, carbonation scrubs well. Easy to take another sip. On the drier side.

O: Its going to take time to get used to brett. Its such a different taste. You can only describe it as funk and you really only attribute the flavor to the brett. Cool but not something I can easily get into like sweeter lambics.

3.42/5  rDev -15.1%

Bottled: unk (guessing 2012, though could be 2011 based on where I found it)

Pours a hazed peach with three fingers of relatively persistent bone white foam. This eventually falls to a central dome and the smells include Co2, lemon zest, peppercorn, hints of yeast and clay, overall a nice clean smell. Flavor is a bit overkill with the brett for me with a slightly chaulky note, then there is the soil and some metallic notes. I like the slightly sweet accent the yeast and grain seem to imbibe and the bitterness that comes along as well, but overall not a huge fan of the flavor. Pretty full bodied with light carb and a semi dry finish. Decent beer, not gonna buy it again though.

3.43/5  rDev -14.9%

Hazy yellow like a hefe, more cloudy I'd guess, white head. Aroma was like hibiscus flowers, interesting.

Taste, expected more of a brett characteristic, really just was a lemony, yeasty brew that didn't seem to have too much going for it in complexity. I was thinking already it was one of my least favorite Bruery beers already. Comes off feeling 'clean' rather than having any funkiness to it. High carbonation to it. Will have to revisit a bottle of this come pool weather. Just couldn't justify almost spending $10 on a bottle of this really.

3.44/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My friend shared a bomber of this at a party this past week. Poured on June 3rd, 2011 into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Very clear golden coloring with a ton of carbonation extending from the bottom of the glass. Thick white, foamy head retains itself quite well throughout the drink.

S - Lemon peel among a combination of fruit, yeast undertones.

T - More interesting and complex than aroma. Further citrus along with thick yeast exhibiting some sort of spice and a bready finish.

M - Thin/medium body. Very crisp, tons of carbonation. Not particularly smooth. Long finish with some bitterness on backend.

D - Pretty good. No abv presence anywhere in the drink. More crisp than clean, per-say, and fits the seasonal timing very well.

3.44/5  rDev -14.6%

Shared a bottle with a friend in my Chimay glass.

A - One of the thickest heads I have ever seen, looks like lemon meringue pie...also reminds me of a giant thunderhead with a tornado of carbonated bubbles going from the head to the bottom of the glass that will not quit. Very cloudy yellow as the head begins to settle.

S - Smells very fresh but funky. I can smell pears, spices, pepper and a few other smells I cannot nail down.

T - Decent taste but nothing to special....has a odd offtaste but still has some good spicey and fruity tastes and a little bitter finish.

M - Pretty thin mouthfeel and very carbonated.

D - Goes down relatively easily but that offtaste keeps getting in the way of the other flavors.

Saison De Lente from The Bruery