Melange No. 3 - The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  15.50% ABV

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

(Beer added by: Floydster on 02-14-2009)
Reviews by LambicPentameter:
4.45/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to BA Black_Rider for the hookup on this bottle as part of a massive trade. I've been curious to try this one for awhile and it did not disappoint. Enjoyed out of a brown 750 mL bottle with a thick coating of burgundy wax around the neck and crown and a bottling date of 10/28/13 engraved on the side. Poured into a comically large 30+ oz snifter glass.

Appearance - A fairly aggressive pour yields a finger of fluffy khaki foam that dissipates in no time at all--maybe 60 seconds, and leaves just a smattering of film intermittently along the surface of the liquid and a ringlet that eventually disappears as well. Body is a deep sienna brown that looks even darker without holding the glass up to the light. Lacing is completely nonexistent.

Smell - There is a nice blend of sweeter aromas along the lines of toffee, caramel and coconut, but there is also a pretty noticeable booziness that gives an impression reminiscent of harder liquors, with some astringency and a little bit of bit that clears the sinuses. Interestingly enough, when I first caught a waft of the aroma coming out of the neck of the bottle, I thought I picked up on a bit of tartness, but smelling it out of the glass, no such impression is present.

Taste - More of the wonderfully sweet suggestions of the aroma come out in the taste, with strong notes of caramel and coconut, and a slightly more subdued impression of toffee. There is also a nice bitterness that reminds me of burnt sugar, but not overpowering, sort of like the light char you get on marshmallows that you keep over the fire just a bit too lone. And there is a rye-like sourness to the flavor as well--not like you'd expect from lacto or any kind of infection, but a rounder, more bready sourness. It provides a nice counterpoint to the sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Medium-to-full bodied, with low carbonation; just enough to give it a dynamic feel on the tongue. There is also a slight viscosity--a little oily--to the feel.

Overall, this is a wonderful beer. I know every non-sour barrel-aged beer from The Bruery seems to be a crapshoot these days, and I must admit to some reservations knowing that Melange No. 3 included a portion of White Oak "sap", but I'm extremely happy that I took the time to procure this beer. It's easily one of the best blended ales I've had the opportunity to sample, and I only wish I had tried to grab another bottle of it.

LambicPentameter, Jul 12, 2014
4.2/5  rDev -5.2%

One of those great beers, it's greatness laying in the fact that you need to share this bottle.

Pours a dark beer. A few bubbles form at the top. Smells like fortified old wine. Tastes like wine too, but bitter. It is an ale and it has a lot of strength. A bit heady, sure to knock you out. Mouth feel is a bit syrupy and thick.

JulioH, Jun 10, 2014
4.54/5  rDev +2.5%

The appearance was very dark muddy brown with a centimeter of head. It smells fruity and nutty with the addition of booze on the nose. It tasted great, fig, plum, and a nicely balance hops and booze. Very earthy. Overall, great with bbq as I had it... Ready to have another bottle.

MacTeo, Mar 10, 2014

SkiBum22, Jan 08, 2013

BubalooBrewMaster, Apr 20, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Flight at the Bruery.

A: A dark hazy maroon/brown. Little to no head and relatively little lacing.

S: Wow, what can't I smell? Plums, prunes, caramel, toffee, and maybe even a little bit of chocolate. Deliciousness all around.

T: Perfect. Absolutely delicious blend of caramel and toffees, dark fruits permeate the mouth. Worth the several bottles I bought.

MF/D: Extremely smooth with relatively little carbonation, but couldn't believe the ABV. Certainly tasted strong, but not 15+%...

newk340, Mar 06, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

First off, congrats to hophead84 below me for knocking out 25oz. of this monster. I had 2 glasses and questioned my ability to drive automobiles or any heavy machinery.

I have to say that in a year of beer hype going through the roof with over hyped barrel aged so and so's, this was the one beer that truely did not disappoint. It was like hearing everyone talk about inglorious basterds, and having it still demolish your expectations.

I could have drank this all night and not flinched... in fact after my first one disappeared so fast, a fellow BA and i both noticed how remarkable easy this was to drink (a characteristic that i think all of their big beers have). I will admit, I can see where those who are not crazy about big beers or are unwavering hop devouring machines would not get along with melange, but i can assure it did me just right. If its still there tomorrow, I think I'm going back...

gregmoscetti, Nov 28, 2009

Edvice04, Jul 27, 2013

aquazr1, Jul 06, 2014

Hoops4life511, Dec 21, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -33.9%

Thanks to SaucerSam for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a medium to dark brown color with some red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is extremely sweet. I get a ton of brown sugar and molasses notes, as well as some wood, maple and vanilla. Unfortunately the flavor is just as sweet as the aroma. I get a lot of dark fruit and oak, as well as some brown sugar. I get some maple notes as well. I know Black Tuesday is a part of the blend but I get no roasted malt or chocolate notes. Very boozy. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel and low carbonation. I am very glad I got to try this one, but it was way too sweet and messy for my liking. Still, definitely a unique brew.

Mora2000, Nov 12, 2012