Melange No. 3 - The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  15.50% ABV

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

(Beer added by: Floydster on 02-14-2009)
Reviews by Scotchboy:
4.31/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Waxed 750ml bottle that we ended up splitting 3 ways. My portion into a Deschutes tulip. Huge thanks to Sean for this one!

A: Tawny pour yields a nearly opaque brown body with transparent tan hues along the edges. Minimal head but good lacing and legs.

S: Huge vanilla and caramel, with a hefty amount of oak; booze. Strong, sweet bourbon with a good amount of brown sugar as well. Pretty sweet and sugary, with a distinct spirit presence and plenty of barrel notes.

T: Bourbon, and everything that comes with it; caramel, and vanilla to slightly lesser extent. Lots of oak and rich, decadent chocolate. I've never had BT but I'm sure I can taste it here among the flavors, lingering with dark roasted malt sweetness, chocolate, and coffee. Surprisingly there is hint of tangy citrus and wheat in the midst of this beast.

MF: Very full bodied - viscous and creamy, with low carbonation.

O: Pretty darn sweet and boozy to the nose, while the palate actually yields a unified flavor profile. Not 3 beers I would pick to blend (and the tangy wheat IS a bit odd) but overall a masterfully crafted beer, though the sweetness really got to me. Nightcap beer for sure.

4.2/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

One of those great beers, it's greatness laying in the fact that you need to share this bottle.

Pours a dark beer. A few bubbles form at the top. Smells like fortified old wine. Tastes like wine too, but bitter. It is an ale and it has a lot of strength. A bit heady, sure to knock you out. Mouth feel is a bit syrupy and thick.

4.54/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance was very dark muddy brown with a centimeter of head. It smells fruity and nutty with the addition of booze on the nose. It tasted great, fig, plum, and a nicely balance hops and booze. Very earthy. Overall, great with bbq as I had it... Ready to have another bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Flight at the Bruery.

A: A dark hazy maroon/brown. Little to no head and relatively little lacing.

S: Wow, what can't I smell? Plums, prunes, caramel, toffee, and maybe even a little bit of chocolate. Deliciousness all around.

T: Perfect. Absolutely delicious blend of caramel and toffees, dark fruits permeate the mouth. Worth the several bottles I bought.

MF/D: Extremely smooth with relatively little carbonation, but couldn't believe the ABV. Certainly tasted strong, but not 15+%...

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

First off, congrats to hophead84 below me for knocking out 25oz. of this monster. I had 2 glasses and questioned my ability to drive automobiles or any heavy machinery.

I have to say that in a year of beer hype going through the roof with over hyped barrel aged so and so's, this was the one beer that truely did not disappoint. It was like hearing everyone talk about inglorious basterds, and having it still demolish your expectations.

I could have drank this all night and not flinched... in fact after my first one disappeared so fast, a fellow BA and i both noticed how remarkable easy this was to drink (a characteristic that i think all of their big beers have). I will admit, I can see where those who are not crazy about big beers or are unwavering hop devouring machines would not get along with melange, but i can assure it did me just right. If its still there tomorrow, I think I'm going back...

3.5/5  rDev -21%

3.5/5  rDev -21%

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

2.93/5  rDev -33.9%

Thanks to SaucerSam for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a medium to dark brown color with some red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is extremely sweet. I get a ton of brown sugar and molasses notes, as well as some wood, maple and vanilla. Unfortunately the flavor is just as sweet as the aroma. I get a lot of dark fruit and oak, as well as some brown sugar. I get some maple notes as well. I know Black Tuesday is a part of the blend but I get no roasted malt or chocolate notes. Very boozy. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel and low carbonation. I am very glad I got to try this one, but it was way too sweet and messy for my liking. Still, definitely a unique brew.

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery