Melange No. 3 - The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  15.50% ABV

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

(Beer added by: Floydster on 02-14-2009)
Reviews by SkeeterBoganski:
4.56/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured in to a Bruery tulip. Still trying 'new' Bruery offerings to dictate my level of 'engagement' in RS this year. Thanks to cduckett16 for this in a trade.

A - the beer pours a murky deep brown in color; there are some lighter brown hints around the edges within the very quickly dissipating head; lacing is virtually non-existent

S - up-front, the beer smells like a bourbon-raisin punch to the nose; I get all the vanilla, "rich caramel" and oak that the label suggests I should; I also get some sugar cookie and general alcohol notes; the barrel aging aromas are prevalent

T - bourbon-soaked raisins; I recently had Fruet for the first time and feel like that is much sweeter than Melange; I get candied dark fruits and that sugar cookie flavor again; there are caramel, brown sugar, figs, toffee, and a hint of cherry in here; take all of those wonderful flavor notes and swirl them in to a vat of bourbon

M - this beer certainly provides that sticky sweetness I expected, but it's not at all syrupy, at least not to me; there is extremely little in the way of carbonation in the bubbly form, but I think the carbonation comes through in the overall mouthfeel experience; somehow, it's present without seeming so...like the fizz is there but concealed in all the complex flavor notes; the heat is noticeable but not overpowering

O - I'm glad I've already ordered up four of these bottles through RS; this is a really good and complex blend of what I anticipate to be three amazing Bruery beers...I've only had the White Oak. I'm sitting on a BT and Papier can't be too bad; that said, I wish the sweetness in Melange 3 shone through like it did with Fruet...hopefully that one is blended in to another Melange offering. Great sipping beer with numerous flavors present and a great balance of beer infusions.

4.2/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

One of those great beers, it's greatness laying in the fact that you need to share this bottle.

Pours a dark beer. A few bubbles form at the top. Smells like fortified old wine. Tastes like wine too, but bitter. It is an ale and it has a lot of strength. A bit heady, sure to knock you out. Mouth feel is a bit syrupy and thick.

4.54/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance was very dark muddy brown with a centimeter of head. It smells fruity and nutty with the addition of booze on the nose. It tasted great, fig, plum, and a nicely balance hops and booze. Very earthy. Overall, great with bbq as I had it... Ready to have another bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Flight at the Bruery.

A: A dark hazy maroon/brown. Little to no head and relatively little lacing.

S: Wow, what can't I smell? Plums, prunes, caramel, toffee, and maybe even a little bit of chocolate. Deliciousness all around.

T: Perfect. Absolutely delicious blend of caramel and toffees, dark fruits permeate the mouth. Worth the several bottles I bought.

MF/D: Extremely smooth with relatively little carbonation, but couldn't believe the ABV. Certainly tasted strong, but not 15+%...

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

First off, congrats to hophead84 below me for knocking out 25oz. of this monster. I had 2 glasses and questioned my ability to drive automobiles or any heavy machinery.

I have to say that in a year of beer hype going through the roof with over hyped barrel aged so and so's, this was the one beer that truely did not disappoint. It was like hearing everyone talk about inglorious basterds, and having it still demolish your expectations.

I could have drank this all night and not flinched... in fact after my first one disappeared so fast, a fellow BA and i both noticed how remarkable easy this was to drink (a characteristic that i think all of their big beers have). I will admit, I can see where those who are not crazy about big beers or are unwavering hop devouring machines would not get along with melange, but i can assure it did me just right. If its still there tomorrow, I think I'm going back...

3.5/5  rDev -21%

3.5/5  rDev -21%

2.93/5  rDev -33.9%

Thanks to SaucerSam for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a medium to dark brown color with some red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is extremely sweet. I get a ton of brown sugar and molasses notes, as well as some wood, maple and vanilla. Unfortunately the flavor is just as sweet as the aroma. I get a lot of dark fruit and oak, as well as some brown sugar. I get some maple notes as well. I know Black Tuesday is a part of the blend but I get no roasted malt or chocolate notes. Very boozy. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel and low carbonation. I am very glad I got to try this one, but it was way too sweet and messy for my liking. Still, definitely a unique brew.

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery