Melange No. 3 - The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: Floydster on 02-14-2009

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.
Reviews by davey101:
4.62/5  rDev +4.5%

2011, Batch 2, 15% ABV, 750ml into a tulip glass. Huge thanks to Rempo!

A - Pours a murky dark brown body with a red tinge when held up to the light. Initial pour yields a nice one finger light tan head with large bubbles. Settles down quickly to a thick edging. Decent amount of lacing for this amount of abv. Sticky alcoholic legs that last forever.

S - Big in every way. Molasses, dark caramelized fruit, bitter chocolate, leather, and huge bourbon notes of vanilla and oak. Sweet and spicy with some robust and savory notes. This beer is just all over the place, a complete diabetic complexity. Its smells so damn tasty though. I've had Cuir, and its very reminiscent of that but with more depth and a touch of stout notes. It does smell primarily like an old ale though.

T - The taste is also massive. Super syrupy malt sweetness. Caramelized dark fruit, molasses, toffee, maple, and smokey leather. Like the nose, this leans toward the anniversary beer more so than the Black Tuesday and White Oak. Bourbon barrel notes of oak and vanilla on the finish along with a huge yet pleasant alcohol burn. I get the slightest hint of chocolate and coffee on the end as well, but its all about the fruit here.

M - Thick, coating, chewy and syrupy. Medium level of carbonation. Huge booze warmth, but the thickness is really what holds back the drinkability. 15% is very well integrated though.

O - A huge beer of massive complexity. I've only had Cuir on its own and I do detect a lot of those flavors. I was hoping for some more action from the Back Tuesday or the White Oak Sap. Its still an amazing beer and accomplishment though. The Bruery can work wonders with insanely high gravity thick brews. It lived up to my expectations for sure.

4.2/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

One of those great beers, it's greatness laying in the fact that you need to share this bottle.

Pours a dark beer. A few bubbles form at the top. Smells like fortified old wine. Tastes like wine too, but bitter. It is an ale and it has a lot of strength. A bit heady, sure to knock you out. Mouth feel is a bit syrupy and thick.

4.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance was very dark muddy brown with a centimeter of head. It smells fruity and nutty with the addition of booze on the nose. It tasted great, fig, plum, and a nicely balance hops and booze. Very earthy. Overall, great with bbq as I had it... Ready to have another bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

4.75/5  rDev +7.5%

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

Flight at the Bruery.

A: A dark hazy maroon/brown. Little to no head and relatively little lacing.

S: Wow, what can't I smell? Plums, prunes, caramel, toffee, and maybe even a little bit of chocolate. Deliciousness all around.

T: Perfect. Absolutely delicious blend of caramel and toffees, dark fruits permeate the mouth. Worth the several bottles I bought.

MF/D: Extremely smooth with relatively little carbonation, but couldn't believe the ABV. Certainly tasted strong, but not 15+%...

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

First off, congrats to hophead84 below me for knocking out 25oz. of this monster. I had 2 glasses and questioned my ability to drive automobiles or any heavy machinery.

I have to say that in a year of beer hype going through the roof with over hyped barrel aged so and so's, this was the one beer that truely did not disappoint. It was like hearing everyone talk about inglorious basterds, and having it still demolish your expectations.

I could have drank this all night and not flinched... in fact after my first one disappeared so fast, a fellow BA and i both noticed how remarkable easy this was to drink (a characteristic that i think all of their big beers have). I will admit, I can see where those who are not crazy about big beers or are unwavering hop devouring machines would not get along with melange, but i can assure it did me just right. If its still there tomorrow, I think I'm going back...

3.5/5  rDev -20.8%

3.5/5  rDev -20.8%

4.97/5  rDev +12.4%

2.96/5  rDev -33%

Thanks to SaucerSam for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a medium to dark brown color with some red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is extremely sweet. I get a ton of brown sugar and molasses notes, as well as some wood, maple and vanilla. Unfortunately the flavor is just as sweet as the aroma. I get a lot of dark fruit and oak, as well as some brown sugar. I get some maple notes as well. I know Black Tuesday is a part of the blend but I get no roasted malt or chocolate notes. Very boozy. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel and low carbonation. I am very glad I got to try this one, but it was way too sweet and messy for my liking. Still, definitely a unique brew.

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery