Melange No. 3 - The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  15.50% ABV

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

(Beer added by: Floydster on 02-14-2009)
Reviews by timc100:
4.84/5  rDev +9.3%

2012

A: Pours out a gorgeous murky ruby brown (yes, I think that's pretty) and leaves a surprisingly substantial head. Beige with big, barrel aged bubbles, big alcohol legs, pretty sticky. Has a much darker appearance in the glass than the pour - very dark ruby with no light getting through

S: Damn! Huge, huge boozy aroma of caramel, figs, raisins and bourbon. At first the chocolate from the BT comes through, but as it warms it turns into a big BW. The bourbon is very intense and enticing - an apple and grape skin flavor came through as well as big rich caramel and some vanilla. It is very woody as well - nice charred oak and oaky vanilla. It smells more like a liquor than a beer.

T: Huge and very, very sweet, but thankfully not cloying. Rich caramel, dark fruits, and chocolate sweetness. Very boozy, the bourbon comes through strong. It finishes sticky and sweet leaving a coating in the mouth. Really nice warming sensation on the back of the mouth and throat.

P: Usually I am put-off by big beers that don't have an incredibly viscous mouthfeel, but the medium-full mouthfeel on this works perfectly. Incredibly smooth, very soft carbonation - almost none, decently sticky, chewy, long lasting finish.

O: I'd call this a barleywine, and a great one. One of the most bourbon intense beers I've had and I loved every minute of it. A big, sweet boozy monster that is incredibly well balanced.

4.2/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

One of those great beers, it's greatness laying in the fact that you need to share this bottle.

Pours a dark beer. A few bubbles form at the top. Smells like fortified old wine. Tastes like wine too, but bitter. It is an ale and it has a lot of strength. A bit heady, sure to knock you out. Mouth feel is a bit syrupy and thick.

4.54/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance was very dark muddy brown with a centimeter of head. It smells fruity and nutty with the addition of booze on the nose. It tasted great, fig, plum, and a nicely balance hops and booze. Very earthy. Overall, great with bbq as I had it... Ready to have another bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

4.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Flight at the Bruery.

A: A dark hazy maroon/brown. Little to no head and relatively little lacing.

S: Wow, what can't I smell? Plums, prunes, caramel, toffee, and maybe even a little bit of chocolate. Deliciousness all around.

T: Perfect. Absolutely delicious blend of caramel and toffees, dark fruits permeate the mouth. Worth the several bottles I bought.

MF/D: Extremely smooth with relatively little carbonation, but couldn't believe the ABV. Certainly tasted strong, but not 15+%...

4.88/5  rDev +10.2%

First off, congrats to hophead84 below me for knocking out 25oz. of this monster. I had 2 glasses and questioned my ability to drive automobiles or any heavy machinery.

I have to say that in a year of beer hype going through the roof with over hyped barrel aged so and so's, this was the one beer that truely did not disappoint. It was like hearing everyone talk about inglorious basterds, and having it still demolish your expectations.

I could have drank this all night and not flinched... in fact after my first one disappeared so fast, a fellow BA and i both noticed how remarkable easy this was to drink (a characteristic that i think all of their big beers have). I will admit, I can see where those who are not crazy about big beers or are unwavering hop devouring machines would not get along with melange, but i can assure it did me just right. If its still there tomorrow, I think I'm going back...

3.5/5  rDev -21%

3.5/5  rDev -21%

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

2.93/5  rDev -33.9%

Thanks to SaucerSam for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a medium to dark brown color with some red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is extremely sweet. I get a ton of brown sugar and molasses notes, as well as some wood, maple and vanilla. Unfortunately the flavor is just as sweet as the aroma. I get a lot of dark fruit and oak, as well as some brown sugar. I get some maple notes as well. I know Black Tuesday is a part of the blend but I get no roasted malt or chocolate notes. Very boozy. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel and low carbonation. I am very glad I got to try this one, but it was way too sweet and messy for my liking. Still, definitely a unique brew.

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery