1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Melange No. 3 - The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  15.50% ABV

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

(Beer added by: Floydster on 02-14-2009)

pperrecone, Dec 17, 2011

funkel81, Feb 06, 2012

Courtesy of Kyle..thanks for the chance bud!

In a few words...a complete mess. Silly abv, cloying bomb of sweet syrupy alcohol that rockets then crash lands in spectacular disunion. A blend not worth a celebration...a bottle worthy of the drain. Not good...

BarrytheBear, Sep 03, 2014

Bluecane, Apr 21, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -43.6%

mikecharley, Jan 19, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -37.9%

Roze, Jun 19, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -33.9%

Thanks to SaucerSam for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a medium to dark brown color with some red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is extremely sweet. I get a ton of brown sugar and molasses notes, as well as some wood, maple and vanilla. Unfortunately the flavor is just as sweet as the aroma. I get a lot of dark fruit and oak, as well as some brown sugar. I get some maple notes as well. I know Black Tuesday is a part of the blend but I get no roasted malt or chocolate notes. Very boozy. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel and low carbonation. I am very glad I got to try this one, but it was way too sweet and messy for my liking. Still, definitely a unique brew.

Mora2000, Nov 12, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -33.9%

alfrantzell graciously hooked me up with a bottle each of the new reserve releases. I'm pretty excited to finally try some of their bigger brews.

A - Pours a dark brown with tan head. Sits black in the glass with a spot or two of lace.

S - The is the best part of the beer. Bourbon, vanilla, caramel, alcohol, a little fig, and oh wait, another heaping of alcohol...

T - Considering this is a blend of three ridiculously big beers and then thrown in a barrel extra long, there's a little too much going on. Way too sweet, caramel, candi sugar, alcohol, molasses, candi sugar, alcohol, vanilla, candi sugar, oak, chocolate, and candi sugar.

M/D - This is a pure dessert beer. Low carbonation, a little thin, and only able to barely sip on.

The Bruery needs to invest in 25mL bottles for these ridiculous offerings they keep putting out. It's like an overpowering whiskey, it needs to be diluted so you can actually enjoy it. Last night 5 people were at a tasting and there was still 5oz left in the bottle that was poured down the drain. This was a disappointment considering the availability and price. I think I'm done with the ultra huge BA beers.

xpimptastikx, Jul 08, 2010

djrn2, Feb 14, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -30%

Melange 3

A: A midnight brown poured into a 3oz snifter

S: A behemoth of booze and vanilla osk. Zero hop presence

T: Big bold and boozy and with crazy mad sweetness. Vanilla and oak murder the taste buds leaving tour tongue lathered in a syrupy mess

M: This thing is stupid sweet. Not as bad as some of special edition Nogne-Ø's but up there. You feel as if your dehydrating at a remarkable rate as you throw back this sucker.

O: This beer could have been amazing, if it had only been a tad bit more dry. The flavors are there, the mouthfeel blows.

PatrickSwayze, Mar 12, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -29.3%

Drank at a tasting with jrallen34.

A - Dark brown, mahogany in color, with lighter brown on the edges. A little bit of stick on the sides.

S - This smells a lot like a muted version of the BA Coton. Smaller bourbon smell then I was expecting. I was hoping this was more Black Tuesday like. Some vanilla, dark fruit , and some brown sugar. Not bad, but not great.

T - Once again, was hoping for some more of the Black Tuesday than was in here. This tastes a hell of a lot like the BA Coten. Brown sugar, figs, vanilla, a lot of caramel. I get some licorice on the end of this. Honestly, this is okay, but nothing special, not sure why it is rated so high. Somewhat sweet, could use some more barrel influence.

M - Under carbonated, full bodied.

D - Hard to get down, too sweet, too much alcohol. This is a good, but not great beer. Don't care if I ever have this again.

AgentZero, Jun 20, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -29.3%

Split with angrybaboon.

Appearance: Deep rich brown with bar click red highlights. Small tan head drops to a spotty cap and small collar. No carbonation

Smell: Toffeee and booze soaked raisins. Sharp alcohol. Crazy sweet. Molasses, maple, caramel. Sugar in all kinds. Touches of butterscotch. Some roasted elements. Vanilla, oak and so much sugary sweetness. Candy. White chocolate. Caramel malts. A touch of something earthy.

Taste: Sugar. Caramel, toffee, touches of brown sugar. Butterscotch and vanilla. So much overcooked and caramelized malt. Sugary sweet. Bourbon and something akin to honey. So much raw sweetness. Bourbon sugar. Oak and minor roasted malts. Light brown sugar. Sherry. Sugar and alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy, but warm syrup. Not quite full. Minimal carbonation. Lingering alcohol dryness.

Overall: My name is Wilford Brimley and this beer gave me diabeetus.

Take Black Tuesday, add sugar, drop some of the bourbon and stout characteristics, and you get this. So much sugar sweetness and alcohol. So sweet it's distracting and detrimental.

Goblinmunkey7, Jan 19, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -28.2%

Thanks to moosington for hooking me up with a bottle of this in a great extra laden package. Shared at ramnuts house with our host, Black13, TulipSnifter, Bird, Mini, and Growler on 1-15-11. Review from notes.

A: Murky dark brown, no head, no lacing, no legs.

S: Lots of -bal, sweet vanilla, honey mead, Goldshlager.

T: Cinnamon, sweet heat, what's that caramel vanilla candy? This has that going on.

M: Moderately carbonated, moderate viscosity, sticky finish.

D: Eh... Compared to some of the other -bal aged beers we had that night, this one was lacking. I loved BA Coton straight up as well as Black Tuesday. The blend of those two with White Oak sap just doesn't do it for me though.

hopsbreath, Jan 19, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a neutral brown color, some haze but mostly translucent. Whisps of bubbles appear, but this just looks like maple syrup. Smells of caramel and wood, vanilla is present, but just smells sweet. I would put this on my ice cream, but its not something that I enjoy forcing down my gullet. Flavor is very complex, but tastes like someone had a bag of mixed candies, left it in the trunk of their car all summer, and poured it into my glass. Very tough to drink, sickeningly sweet and resinous, It took me 6 hours to drink my half of the bottle.

Tripphop, May 05, 2011
3.21/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2011 Release, Sampled March 2012
A soft pour into my small tulip glass produces a fat-two-finger thick, pale brown tinged, dirty tan colored head. The ber is a concentrated brown / amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, cranberry-ruby hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells quite alcoholic, but has lots of other notes as well, but that is certainly prominent. Notes of vanillin, toasted coconut, Sherry, lots of nut like notes, toasted caramel, sweet caramelized brown bread. The sherry character is actually quite striking, both the alcohol, the rich, sweet nutty notes and the oxidized malt contribute to this really smelling quite a bit like sherry. This definitely smells like desert in a glass.

As expected, from the nose, this beer is quite sweet; the sweetness seems a touch simplistic / sugary as opposed to really rich, concentrated malt like in character, by which I mean there seems to be a fair amount of residual, simple sugars left in this beer. The body is certainly viscous, but actually somehow seems light for a beer of this strength; much of the, perceived, lightness is likely contributed by the amply noticeable, warming and even hot, alcohol notes that play a prominent role in the flavor. Ample flavors of sweet coconut, vanillin, sugar coated / toasted nuts, sweet sherry, amaretto, and perhaps a touch of brandy like fruit character are noticeable. Woody oak, with a touch of astringency and some spiciness comes into and lingers through the finish; the alcohol also lends to the spiciness and heat in the finish. There is a definite fruitiness here as well, it is sort of evocative of prune juice, perhaps a touch of fig and raisin as well. Other flavors of maple syrup, toasted oak, brown sugar syrup, touches of roasted bitterness in the finish, and a toasted, brown bread note add some character.

This is definitely a HOT beer, at this alcohol level that is not unexpected, but I can’t say that I necessarily appreciate that either. The sweetness is also a bit too simplistic in this beer; I would have been more appreciative if the malt character was less simple sugar focused and had more of a dense, almost savory, concentrated malt character. Interestingly enough, given how hot this beer is, I don’t get as much Bourbon character as I was expecting; more of the vanillin, spicy oak, and toasted oak come out individually rather than reminiscent of actual Bourbon. Not a bad beer if you are only having a couple ounces as a nightcap, but anything more for me is just a bit underwhelming (not complex enough in flavor) and overwhelming (in the hot alcohol and sugary sweetness) at the same time. I must say that I really like the oxidized malt character / sherry notes that are on display here (is this the anniversary old ale contribution), it really adds an extra dimension that keeps me much more interested than I otherwise would be. Drinkable and even enjoyable in small amounts if I am not critically evaluating the beer. Before cracking this beer, I had not reallized how strong it was going to be, I wish I had, as I would have planned to use the rest of the beer for cooking of some sort; I could imagine this being used quite well in a “rum” cake recipe, or even a dense fruit cake would likely be a perfect use (just make sure to reduce the level of sugar called out for in the recipe to account). I am planning on this already with the bottle of Black Tuesday that I am opening; in fact I am almost more excited about the Imperial chocolate stout cake that I am going to make than actually drinking the beer :-).

Gueuzedude, Sep 30, 2013