1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Melange No. 3 - The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  15.50% ABV

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

(Beer added by: Floydster on 02-14-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,151 | Reviews: 216 | Show All Ratings:
ChrisPro

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%

Draft at Monk's on 6/8/10.

Pours murky brown with beautiful tan head. Surprisingly, great lacing throughout the glass.

Aroma was incredibly complex with the bourbon standing out alongside some coconut and other tropical fruity esters. Strong molasses the whole time sipping, and then a very distinct oak nose as it warmed.

Flavor was fantastic with a deep rich caramel and molasses sweetness, balanced with the slightest hints of a roasted coffee finish.

Incredibly thick with smooth tiny carbonation. At 17% this drank incredibly well, but you could feel the heat at the back of the throat, especially as it warmed.

Overall, this drank like an aged 12% beer and went down way too easily. I could put this away many times over. I would expect the heat to calm a little with age and make this beer that much better. Lucky to have tried this.

06-08-2010 21:20:21 | More by ChrisPro
largadeer

4.65/5  rDev +4.7%

2010 batch.

Melange No. 3 pours a dark opaque brown with ruby highlights. A small tan head tops it and doesn't last long, quickly receding to a crown.

The aroma is an intense and alcoholic mix of bourbon and caramel, stonefruit and vanilla, chocolate and dates. Very deep and complex. Some earthiness shines through the sweetness. As it warms the fruitiness comes out more, balancing the powerful bourbon character.

Bourbon and caramel hit the tongue first. Chocolate candies, surprisingly a lot of fruitiness too, stonefruit and dates. Molasses-like sweetness, mellow alcohol, a bit of tannic oak. While it tastes quite strong and rich, it's actually very mellow and easy to drink. It finishes semi-sweet with a leathery, bourbon-toffee aftertaste. The sheer viscosity of it is impressive, a few ounces is plenty, but I wouldn't complain if I could drink this regularly. Nice job, Bruery.

06-05-2010 23:07:05 | More by largadeer
rudylaw

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

On tap @ Brasserie Jo during the CBC. Served in a snifter.

Pours a dark brown with a tan head... which is fairly thin. Not the most attractive of beers... but who really cares?

Smells of chocolate, raisins, toffee and a fuckload of heat! Having Black Tuesday prior... I can pick out that particular sweet aroma. Getting past the booze, this smells darn nice!

So much burn in this. Dark fruit, toffee and rum cake. Again, this is a touch hot... but I'm still grading it a 4.5 because it's incredibly complex. This is great now, but may be amazing in about 20 years.

Full body with a splendid mouthfeel... but that 17% destroys any drinkability. Looking forward to the bottle version.

05-28-2010 01:10:32 | More by rudylaw
Kaiser81

4.83/5  rDev +8.8%

This bottle was hand bottled from the bruery and drunk saturday night. We're calling this on tap.

A - It's a dark, see-through brown with faint orange highlights. There is minimal head and lacing.

S - Very complex. It's just sooo good, and I don't know where to begin. Maybe some caramel, and vanilla, and...I really don't know how to describe this. There is a slight booze smell on the back end, but it's faint.

T - VERY VERY VERY good. Those who got bottles of this will be lucky. it's got caramel, and vanilla, and spices...and did I mention how good this is? it's really complex, but I just want to keep drinking this until I pass out.

M - Minimal carbonation with a heavy body and a slightly boozy aftertaste. But it tastes nothing like the 15% it's advertised as.

D - I wish I would have bought the Bruery membership just for this beer, it's that good.

05-24-2010 04:48:27 | More by Kaiser81
Gobzilla

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%

A: poured dark as night black with a half finger brown head and had good sticky lacing on the glass.

S: cocoa, sweet sugar, and toffee aromas up front with hints of vanilla and booze as well.

T: taste almost excatly like the nose consisting of; cocoa nibs, sweetnes with toffe and good amount of booze hitting the palate.

M: medium to full body with decent amount of carbonation to accent the overall flavor rush.

D: went down to good considering the 15% ABV on this bad boy. Really enjoyed this beer all the way through and hope to get my hands on a bottle.

05-23-2010 03:42:07 | More by Gobzilla
PeprSprYoFace

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

On tap at the 2nd annaversary party.

Pours a cloudy brown. Light head. Little lacing.

Aroma of bourbon, cocoa, brown sugar toasted sugars.

Tastes awesome. Just as it smells. Sweet but nice. I'm about to get another taste.

Mouthfeel is great. Light carb. Not too thick.

Overall an awesome brew. Can't wait to get some bottles

05-22-2010 23:17:29 | More by PeprSprYoFace
Mebuzzard

Colorado

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Holy heck, this thing is good. I had a 2oz sample at the Boulder Strong Ale fest...then another...then another...then another.
A black pour, thick brown head. Good lacing, some parts were sticky, some not.
Aroma was full of goodies. Cocoa, caramel, toffee, some toasted bread, roasty malt. Thought I got hints of banana, but not sure.
Taste is great too. Follows the nose, very complex but not 'in yo face'. Smooth movement between the toffe/cocoa to dark fruits and toast.
Feel is great. Feels velvety but not as 'thick'..kind of like a powder that dissolves quickly and softly.
A really good beer. Alcohol (I have 15% version) is well hidden.

05-03-2010 21:49:53 | More by Mebuzzard
NorthsideFred

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%

Enjoying at Brasserie Jo, (thanks to the CBC). Served in a 10 ounce snifter for $13.50.

A: A rich, dark-brown pour with a thin head and nice lacing.

S: Smells great. Many great scents including chocolate, dark fruit, vanilla, and of course bourbon.

T: Wow! This is awesome. Starts with the dark fruit and finishes a roasty chocolate. You would never guess that it is 17% ABV.

M: Medium to full body. Extremely smooth.

D: Way more drinkable than I expected. An amazing beer!

04-12-2010 22:44:27 | More by NorthsideFred
Sean9689

4.18/5  rDev -5.9%

Melange No. 3 is a blend of White Oak, Papier, and Black Tuesday. This was on-tap at Small Bar Division for the Craft Brewers Conference special events. I had two 8oz pours into a tulip.

A - Pours a dark chocolate brown with a mocha/tan head. Very little head which quickly vanishes leaving only a few bubbles here and there on top. Overall, not a whole lot to look at.

S - Chocolate, plums, raisins, ultra-booze, toffee. A nice meld here and I can really pick out the sweetness of the Black Tuesday and bourbon in the Papier.

T - Lots of alcohol burn, chocolate sweetness, dark fruits. For this being a 17% beer, the alcohol is hidden pretty well. Not not over-powering, but it's there for sure. I would say this is liquid chocolate cake with infused bourbon.

M - Medium to full bodied, rich and smooth, light carbonation.

D - I enjoyed this beer more then Black Tuesday. It's a sipper, that's for sure. It took me two hours to finish two pours of this. One of the top beers for this style, but Angel's Share Grand Cru is a better beer for me. Recommend!

04-10-2010 18:59:33 | More by Sean9689
msimmons32

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Had this beer on tap at the Bruery during their St. Veronus celebration. I was lucky to get a full 12oz pour.

I could drink this beer all day long or till i pass out. It is definitely a sipper but you just keep wanting more after each sip. Every sip I took I tasted something different. I could taste the BT and the oak sap, but the most prominant flavor was the Papier. I can't wait to get this beer through the reserve society and age it.

Cheers

04-03-2010 04:48:50 | More by msimmons32
Schmaltzy

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%

A- Nice mud color, light reddish/brown color towards the edges, very little head that remained around the edges with little to no lacing.

S- Great dark fruits right away, nice light chocolate notes followed by bourbon vanilla oak flavors, you can really smell the three different beers in this one, they all play a nice role.

T- Nice sweet caramel, dark fruit, vanilla, chocolate. Bourbon is heavy but not astringent. Again just a great beer, lots of flavor and you don't really notice the high alcohol content, sneaks up on you like John Turturro in Mr. Deeds.

M- Very thick beer but not too syrupy, light fluffy carbonation, heavy beer with tons of flavor and high alcohol content.

D- I had 4 glasses at The Bruery for their celebration, just an amazing beer. Not really a session beer but I could sip on a bottle of this for a couple hours and be very content. I will be purchasing 3 bottles once released and cellar them for several years.

03-22-2010 03:51:57 | More by Schmaltzy
womencantsail

4.38/5  rDev -1.4%

On-tap at the Bruery

A: The pour is a slightly muddy dark brown color with a some reddish highlights and a thin layer of tan head.

S: The nose is quite sweet with plenty caramel and dark fruit notes with a touch of chocolate. The bourbon really comes through providing lots of vanilla and a bit of oak.

T: The flavor is quite sweet with the White Oak Sap really holding it's own against the beast that is Black Tuesday. Between the White Oak Sap and Papier, the beer has quite a bit of sweet caramel and vanilla with just a touch of chocolate to it. Both the bourbon, and alcohol flavors come through, but even at such a high ABV, it's not all that hot.

M: The body on this beer is massive, as you would expect from its components. Still, the low carbonation helps it from becoming too syrupy.

D: This beer is boozy and the flavor keeps you from forgetting it. However, it's still quite easy to drink--dangerously, even. I can't wait for the bottles to come out.

03-21-2010 06:14:10 | More by womencantsail
tpd975

4.9/5  rDev +10.4%

I can not thank JohnQVegas enough for this beer.

A: Pours a nice amberish shade of brown with a nice sized off white head. Nice retention and some lace left behind.

S: Wow heaven in a bottle. Lots of chocolate, dark fruit, and sweet molasses. Notes of oak, vanilla, and a touch smoke from a chunk of burning oak.

T: Nice mix of black cherry and dark fruit up front. Chocolate and oak can be picked up along with dark brown sugar and molasses. The level of oak and vanilla from the vanilla is absolutely perfect. Can not pick up a bit of booze despite this one packing a huge punk at over 15% ABV.

M: Rather full in body, bold, rich, sweet, smooth, um yeah basically awesome.

D: Would be on my short list of beers if I were on death row. This is not just a beer it is a true beer drinking experience, one I wish everyone had the chance to try.

02-14-2010 01:32:29 | More by tpd975
mightyj

4.65/5  rDev +4.7%

had on tap 11/29. 2 5oz pours

A - black with a brown head. about a finger's thick

S - bourbon, malt, vanilla. has a very sweet smell to it

T - taste is like the smell, can taste a sweetness at the end. some alcohol heat but a great taste

M - the feel is good, from the look you expect something more chewy, but its about right. there is enough carbonation.

D - it's delicious. could have kept drinking it all night if they didn't have to close!

12-03-2009 05:43:28 | More by mightyj
davod23

4.68/5  rDev +5.4%

In celebration of finishing my dissertation slides, I headed down to the Bruery for a couple glasses of this wonderful brew.

Pour is very dark brown, with a one-finger tan head. A swirl of the glass indicates that it's pretty thick. Plentiful, thin spotty lacing left on the sides of the tulip glass.

Smell is quite sweet: brown sugar, toffee, caramel, and an undeniable smack of bourbon and alcohol heat. Very nice. I can definitely pull the Papier and the Black Tuesday out of this.

Taste is fantastic. It's quite sweet, which was expected, but it's not cloying. Sweet, sugary candy flavors are there in abundance, but the oak and bourbon flavors counter them admirably. Perhaps an undertone of rich melted chocolate. The sweetness I can definitely see coming from the Black Tuesday. A bit of warmth on this one too, which I attribute to the Papier.

Mouthfeel is wondrous. Spectacular. I put this on par with the best mouthfeels I have experienced with any beer. Although it is thick and viscous, it is not heavy. It has a... I don't know how else to say it... fluffiness that keeps it light on your palate despite the massiveness of the brew. I think that the White Oak Sap really shines here on the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good, considering what this beer is. I had three 4 oz pours - if I wasn't driving, I would have had another one or two. The sweetness and booziness might slow some people down... but not me.

Highly recommended. Looking forward to this being in bottles next year.

11-30-2009 01:41:57 | More by davod23
waltonc

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev -0.2%

I was fortunate to be in Irvine visiting the in-laws for Thanksgiving when learning that Melange 3 was on tap yesterday at the Bruery. At $4/5 oz pour, this wasn't cheap. But it's quite good. Pours very dark brown with ample carbonation levels. Smells and tastes extremely sweet - brown sugar, vanilla, bourbon, fruits, and alcohol. As expected, the body is quite thick. There's plenty of carbonation to prevent this from coming off as syrupy. Really good stuff - I had 3 glasses of it - but it was tough to finish that third glass given the high ABV and sugar level. So not the most drinkable of brews in my opinion. But it's really good in small doses.

11-28-2009 19:06:02 | More by waltonc
gregmoscetti

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

First off, congrats to hophead84 below me for knocking out 25oz. of this monster. I had 2 glasses and questioned my ability to drive automobiles or any heavy machinery.

I have to say that in a year of beer hype going through the roof with over hyped barrel aged so and so's, this was the one beer that truely did not disappoint. It was like hearing everyone talk about inglorious basterds, and having it still demolish your expectations.

I could have drank this all night and not flinched... in fact after my first one disappeared so fast, a fellow BA and i both noticed how remarkable easy this was to drink (a characteristic that i think all of their big beers have). I will admit, I can see where those who are not crazy about big beers or are unwavering hop devouring machines would not get along with melange, but i can assure it did me just right. If its still there tomorrow, I think I'm going back...

11-28-2009 17:35:29 | More by gregmoscetti
HopHead84

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

25oz consumed on 11/27/2009 on tap at The Bruery over a couple hours. I should have had more. The color is dark brown and opaque with a big thick light brown head.

The nose has a lot of brown sugar and a distinct bourbon presence. I detect maple, and the brown sugar and maple notes pervade every aspect of the aroma. The beer is boozy but not 17% (as the sign reads) boozy. Perhaps 10% boozy? It's evident but at a level that I enjoy. Strong caramel, toffee, and vanilla notes are evident. I detect cocoa but it's hidden behind the bourbon and brown sugar sweetness. When the beer warms, the combo of bourbon, butterscotch, brown sugar, and vanilla is intoxicating. I'm a sucker for The Bruery's barrel aromas.

The taste opens with brown sugar, maple, butterscotch, and bourbon. Booze heat is powerful yet delicious. Sweetness is at an upper moderate level and oak is noticeable. The beer is quite sweet, but the robust bourbon and maple absorb it nicely. I get bourbon soaked dates. Strong brown sugary maple finish. Delicious bourbon booziness. I don't get any roasted malt out of the blend, despite previous reviews mentioning it.

The mouthfeel is robust, smooth, and sticky. Big bold and boozy. This beer is not for everyone, but it is definitely for me. This is one refreshing craft beverage.

11-28-2009 09:36:45 | More by HopHead84
OlieIPA

4.22/5  rDev -5%

Enjoyed roughly 10-12 oz. of this at the Bruery today and served around 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit.

A: A dark brown liquid that appeared to have some beefy and syrupy-like body to it; basically an exact clone of the Papier (in appearance), but with more head and lacing. The head had a creamy color to it, as did the lacing. Unfortunately, the retention of both the lacing and head was on the weaker, but never the less...Melange #3 was good looking brew.

S: Sweet bourbon, brown sugar, molasses, and wood are the main components that I picked up. There also is a touch of vanilla and caramel at the tail end of each whiff. Even though it's a little hot off the nose, all the malts do a good job of masking the 15% ABV.

T: Tons of bourbon upfront with an explosion of brown sugar, green apple, green grape, and molasses. You can definitely pick up the candied sugars from the Black Tuesday, but most of the beer takes on characteristics more similar to the Papier than anything else. I personally love the flavor Melange #3 gives off, almost Firestone anniversary-ish, but I found a white zinfandel quality that made it a little too sweet for my palate to handle.

M: Creamy, chewy, full-body, with mild carbonation; perfect!

D: The 15% ABV was covered up exceptionally well, but I found that fruity sweetness (mentioned before) to be a bit too much at times.

Overall: An exceptional beer which I can't wait to try again. A must try. Cheers!

11-28-2009 03:19:16 | More by OlieIPA
Deuane

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to akorsak for sharing this one with me.

A-Deep, brown/black with a thin tan head that held on and left spotty lace.

S-Graham cracker, vanilla, sweet roasted malt, toffee, caramel...a treasure trove of aromas.

T-Coffee and toffee, quite sweet overall. deep base of roasted malt with notes of vanilla, chocolate and oak dryness. So many flavours it becomes a bit overwhelming.

M-Medium-heavy bodied. Super smooth and somewhat syrupy, but in a good way. Long lasting flavours with hints and peaks of bourbon notes.

D-A very interesting mix of brews. Lots of flavour and one of the smoothest packages I have ever had. Really nice....Crazy!

11-07-2009 12:52:34 | More by Deuane
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.75/5  rDev +7%

A 12oz bottle tap filled from...you guessed it...NutBrown! Thanks Alan!

A light hiss when I popped the cap, with an average pour I get a 1 finger head of tan foam and the liquid appears to be a pitch black. Holding the glass to the light, I can't see any signs of contradicting that statement.

I'm taking a few whiffs and man, this is one hella good malty smelling brew. A little bit of alcohol sneaks its way through but not nearly as much as I expected from a beast this strong. Cocoa and chocolate? You betchya, in spades.

First sip and it's a sweet thang. Big milk chocolate and caramel malt sweetness absolutely dominates. I can taste some dark fruit sweetness on the tail end as well. Wow. The malts just never give in here though I do dtect a slight dark chocolate bitterness from time to time and is most noticeable near and through the finish.

There's some nice warming here, very welcome on a very cool day that is currently ~40F, so sipping on this puppy is mandatory, as the abv would suggest, but certainly dosen't detract one bit from how much I enjoy drinking this brew. Oh, I just got a good taste of plums, like literally out of no where. It's reminding me of a JW Lees Harvest Ale with the Malt presentation and that's a compliment all the way!
Wow, again!

Full bodied with light carbonation, it feels so sliky smooth in the mouth that I have to say yet again, wow!

Drinkability? Huge alcohol content that is hidden quite well considering, awesome taste and awesome mouthfeel, ths is one of the best malt centric brews that I have ever tasted. In my book, this is World Class! Alan...I can't thank you enough for the opportunity!

10-04-2009 18:59:14 | More by Bitterbill
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Holy hell I get to try this one. A 22oz bomber/growler that was sent my way that literally could not make me happier. Served up at cellar temp, this beast was poured into the appropriate Darkness snifter and consumed on 10/02/2009.

Dark as night this one pours out of the bottle, looking as daunting as it can it is just pitch black. Small tan head, maybe an inch hangs for a bit and then slowly fades into the abyss leaving a dark, ominous looking oil like liquid in front of me. As I lean in and try to get a whiff of this, I fall back, drowning in a sea of vanilla and butterscotch. It is bourbon overload, everything I have ever dreamed a barrel aged stout could be is coming to me now. Rich notes of vanilla, toffee, caramel, butterscotch are all surrounding a huge boozy middle. Its like some sick and twisted candy bar only I could enjoy. Each sip now becomes its own voyage into a realm of sweet boozy bliss that few have gotten a chance to be near. Rich is not even the right word to describe this flavor. Soo sweet, with a barely noticeable booziness in the flavor, 15%? Where? Rich notes of vanilla and woody textures combine and wrap around that sweet bourbon flavor, just absolutly sublime. Smooth, delicate, complex, perfect.

Overall I can make this real simple. This beer has made me rethink all other big beers I have ever had. The deep and rich flavor of butterscotch and toffee that I so try to find is rediscovered here. This beer is sublime, please, do yourself a favor and go find this.

10-03-2009 01:33:39 | More by mikesgroove
carps12

4.08/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a large tulip. Thanks to my buddy Alex who picked up this 32oz flip top from New Beer for me. Pours black with a gorgeous tan head that sits for awhile until relaxing into a nice caramel lace. Smell is loads of cherries and dark chocolate mixed with some booze. I also pick up a lot caramel and other overly ripe dark fruits. Very interesting. This one is warm going down. Tastes of same smell notes. A little booze sits on the finish. Smooth going down with perfect carbonation on the finish. There is a big sweetness to the taste like fruit compote that you notice right away. Some Graham cracker is mixed in. I do notice a slight bitterness that imperfects the finish. The booziness is getting to me half way through the glass making this tough to polish . The smell on this is intriguing. I'm glad I got to try it, but won't seek this one out again.

09-30-2009 23:36:48 | More by carps12
francisweizen

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

I had this on tap in Manhattan when the bruery were first making their push into the city.

I had it on tap in a small 6oz wine glass at Rattle & Hum.

This is a dark flat beer that looks like sherry in the glass. No head, no lacing, no nothing.

The aroma is phenomenal, like the Angels Share if it were somehow more concentrated and better.

The taste is perfect, booze, oak, vanilla, toffee, caramel, etc, etc. I could go on for hours, there were so many many flavor notes in this beer that it is obscene.

Mouthfeel was creamy thick and coating but not cloying at all.

I could not believe that this stuff was 15%, I could drink it all day long.

09-21-2009 20:05:04 | More by francisweizen
bulletrain76

3.68/5  rDev -17.1%

Draught at The Bruery's anniversary. Dark brown with a small beige head. Rich wood, bourbony, burnt sugars, creme brulee, caramel, and light alcohol aromas. Flavors of chocolate, molasses, burnt sugar, caramel, light wood, bourbon, smooth alcohol and light berry fruitiness, with a rich boozy and sweet finish. Full bodied and sticky with smooth carbonation. For how big this is, it drinks very smoothly, a trait it shares with most of their big beers. Still a bit too sweet for me to love. While it is intense and complex, it just lacked a certain cohesiveness.

09-20-2009 19:34:27 | More by bulletrain76