Follow our progress ...

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery
California, United States | website

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

Added by Floydster on 02-14-2009

Reviews: 258 | Ratings: 1,814
3.52/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ruby-brown pour into a snifter, a half-finger of dense tan head sank to a ringlet, leaving some spots on the glass. A lot of sweetness in the nose, fruit and sugars, notes of burnt caramel, black cherry, with a decent vanilla component, woody, though not overly boozy. Taste of dark sugars--brown sugar, caramel--sweet and artificially fruity, cherry cough syrup, rum raisin, notes of vanilla, slight coconut, pretty thick with booze. Kind of messy, and though while there was some heat, it didn't nearly feel like a 15% beer. Body was medium, mouthfeel was slick. A decent offering.

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

pretty wild beer here, their version of a black and tan, what a gas! the color is red and caramel mixed together, very thick like sludge, dense, minimal but lasting light brown head. I smell everything, no joke. rich malts, darker grains than the color shows, aggressive sugars, whiskey barrel, vanilla, clove, rye malt, booze, and molasses. what I don't smell or taste in this, is yeast. it is mysteriously absent from the flavor profile, not that this beer is hurting for complexity, this is a hell of a blend. dried fruit and sugar, as well as the best richest elements of black Tuesday are what I taste here. its oaky and rich, almost too much really, but the booze is not that obvious for something so high. this goes way beyond beer to something else entirely, more of a barleywine than anything, just so much happening, and such a heavy buzz from even small quantities of this. good carbonation for the size, and about all the body you can pack in. this is not my favorite beer from the bruery, but it is yet another example of their expertise in all aspects of beer making. a blend like no other, worth trying for lovers of huge brews and the bruery more generally.

3.2/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2011 Release, Sampled March 2012
A soft pour into my small tulip glass produces a fat-two-finger thick, pale brown tinged, dirty tan colored head. The ber is a concentrated brown / amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, cranberry-ruby hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells quite alcoholic, but has lots of other notes as well, but that is certainly prominent. Notes of vanillin, toasted coconut, Sherry, lots of nut like notes, toasted caramel, sweet caramelized brown bread. The sherry character is actually quite striking, both the alcohol, the rich, sweet nutty notes and the oxidized malt contribute to this really smelling quite a bit like sherry. This definitely smells like desert in a glass.

As expected, from the nose, this beer is quite sweet; the sweetness seems a touch simplistic / sugary as opposed to really rich, concentrated malt like in character, by which I mean there seems to be a fair amount of residual, simple sugars left in this beer. The body is certainly viscous, but actually somehow seems light for a beer of this strength; much of the, perceived, lightness is likely contributed by the amply noticeable, warming and even hot, alcohol notes that play a prominent role in the flavor. Ample flavors of sweet coconut, vanillin, sugar coated / toasted nuts, sweet sherry, amaretto, and perhaps a touch of brandy like fruit character are noticeable. Woody oak, with a touch of astringency and some spiciness comes into and lingers through the finish; the alcohol also lends to the spiciness and heat in the finish. There is a definite fruitiness here as well, it is sort of evocative of prune juice, perhaps a touch of fig and raisin as well. Other flavors of maple syrup, toasted oak, brown sugar syrup, touches of roasted bitterness in the finish, and a toasted, brown bread note add some character.

This is definitely a HOT beer, at this alcohol level that is not unexpected, but I can’t say that I necessarily appreciate that either. The sweetness is also a bit too simplistic in this beer; I would have been more appreciative if the malt character was less simple sugar focused and had more of a dense, almost savory, concentrated malt character. Interestingly enough, given how hot this beer is, I don’t get as much Bourbon character as I was expecting; more of the vanillin, spicy oak, and toasted oak come out individually rather than reminiscent of actual Bourbon. Not a bad beer if you are only having a couple ounces as a nightcap, but anything more for me is just a bit underwhelming (not complex enough in flavor) and overwhelming (in the hot alcohol and sugary sweetness) at the same time. I must say that I really like the oxidized malt character / sherry notes that are on display here (is this the anniversary old ale contribution), it really adds an extra dimension that keeps me much more interested than I otherwise would be. Drinkable and even enjoyable in small amounts if I am not critically evaluating the beer. Before cracking this beer, I had not reallized how strong it was going to be, I wish I had, as I would have planned to use the rest of the beer for cooking of some sort; I could imagine this being used quite well in a “rum” cake recipe, or even a dense fruit cake would likely be a perfect use (just make sure to reduce the level of sugar called out for in the recipe to account). I am planning on this already with the bottle of Black Tuesday that I am opening; in fact I am almost more excited about the Imperial chocolate stout cake that I am going to make than actually drinking the beer :-).

3.61/5  rDev -17%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

750mL maroon wax. Low carbonation, deep red to near ink with no head really. Richer bourbon, sweeter maple nose, flashes of white alcohol, hints of vegetal green coffee. Taste is sticky, hot/boozy, thick licorice, milk chocolate drizzle. Palate is a bit lighter than expected given all the alcohol in lieu of sugar. Not my thing.

4.57/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a deep cola color with a surprisingly large tan head. Eventually, the head gets sucked down into the dense liquid, but I was surprised to see any at all.

S: I'd say this is pretty similar to Black Tuesday. And that is a very good thing. A deep sweet aroma that makes you want to swim in this stuff. Toffee, vanilla, bourbon, caramel, light coconut and toasted brown sugar. If you like sweet things (like I do), this is money.

T: Again, really, really freaking good. Opens with a lot of molasses, milk chocolate covered raisin, and burnt caramel. Dark fruit, especially black cherry is in there as well. Middle features some chocolate and bourbon before a finish of toasted oak and brown sugar. A hint of warmness on the finish, but otherwise the alcohol proves pretty elusive. Mouthfeel is near perfect. Rich and slick without becoming too syrupy. Get it.

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Opened on 9/23/2013 with my brother and a buddy.

A: Very dark brown and red color. No head at all.

S: Very complex smell. Caramel, toffee, vanilla, oak and bourbon.

T: Follows the smell very well. Tastes of rich caramel, toffee and vanilla. Followed by a huge taste of bourbon. Not as much heat as I expected though.

M: Very smooth and medium bodied. The carbonation was a little low, but perfect for this beer.

O: A very complex beer. As it was warming up in my glass, different flavors were presenting themselves. Definitely a beer worth tracking down.

4.15/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Beer is very dark in colour, but not quite black. Seems to be a very dark brown, with slight reddish hints. A small beige head, fades quickly.

Nose is big, complex and nice. Bourbon, oak, vanilla, caramel and booze are all strong. Coconut. Some chocolate.

Taste is similar to the nose, but there is a big dark fruit component that I did not get in the smell. Cherry comes to mind. Other than that, lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla. Caramel is strong, and there is also brown sugar and molasses. A LOT of alcohol heat. One heavy beer. A very nice flavour, but a bit over the top.

Full bodied, low to moderate carbonation. Big and heavy, lots of burn. Slick.

Overall, quite good, but too extreme. I am sure this beer would have been more enjoyable at a comparatively moderate 12% or so. Very nice but hard going.

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Long time want of mine and Huzubendah made it happen. Matt is the man!

I drank a portion of this last night, but I'm now reviewing this around the pool from the bottle Matt gave me.

Served in a Port City tulip.

A: Poured out like melted caramel, same color and everything. Mean looking and ominous in its non-head producing, non-carbonated disposition.

S: Smell like a combination of coconut, caramel, vanilla, and some peanut butter. Pretty friggin amazing.

T: It was so great to try this on a fresh palate. I got the burnt pecan brittle from Black Tuesday, the coconut from White Oak, and the overall bright, fruity center from the various anniversary ales.

M: Sweet and delectable, but that was part of its charm. low on the carbonation side, of course, but high on flavor.

O: This was probably the best beer of 2013 so far.

4.54/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The nose has a ton of barrel to it. Vanilla, oak, caramel, bourbon, a boatload of dark chocolate, coconut, molasses, some dark fruit (dark red cherries, plums, dates, currants) and some burnt brown sugar. This has a crazy complex nose to it. There’s so much happening. The barrel aging is up front and very evident but there are little bits and pieces from all the component brews. The taste is like what I imagine water tastes like in heaven. Bourbon, chocolate, oak, vanilla, dates, plums, coconut, cherries, raisins, brown sugar, roasty, smokey notes, some booze (but very well hidden for 15%) and a thread of caramel running underneath. The body is incredibly full with a rich, creamy mouthfeel and mellow carbonation (indicative of barrel aging).

This brew is amazing. I have been sitting on it for a long time because I wanted to wait until I tried all the components (Black Tuesday, Anniversary and White Oak sap). Its not as boozey as you’d think and its definitely pretty easy drinking (from an alcohol heat perspective) the flavor is very strong and full and that makes it a sipper. All I can say is I need as many of these as I can get my hands on.

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

75cl bottle bought to a recent tasting by Doug and Shaun. Poured into an unlabeled snifter 8/31/2013.

This beer pours a thick dark brown body, with minimal white head and retention. Looks rather viscous, but otherwise looks like any other barrel-aged barleywine (even though this is most certainly not a barleywine).

The smell on this is just awesome. Up front, I can smell that bourbon heat! And then there is that strong aspect that reminds me of white chocolate, but not quite- I don't get as intense of a vanilla scent in the nose like I did in the actual WC.. but its a very sweet, vanilla coconut scent that is cut rather well by the chocolatey flavour which I imagine is the BT contribution. There is a nice caramel, perhaps toffee contribution in the nose which is probably from the Anniversary ales. Very pungent, complex and fascinating nose.

The flavour profile is also very complex. I get less of the bourbon and quite a bit more of the toffee, caramel flavours that cut the white oak sap contribution's straight up vanilla/coconut sweetness by quite a bit to make it a more interesting, varied experience. There is less of the bourbon flavour, but the aftertaste is definitely a BT contribution. I don't know how else to describe this beer, but it is an absolute treat.

Definitely a big bodied beer, OK carbonation, and a small bit of heat. But nothing indicates to me that this is a 15% ABV beer. Nothing. It's smooth yet is absolutely a sipper. But extremely flavourful and creamy.

This beer is an absolute treat. Would definitely recommend sharing one bottle with friends, preferably friends you like! Very interesting, complex and big beer. Typical of the Bruery's best offerings.

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Quite simply, this is a stunning beer, and an absolute treat for anyone who can find it. The smell and flavor are a wonderful orchestra of different notes, perfectly complex and works on an amazing level. Oak, vanilla, cherry, some mild citrus all wrapped up in some bourbon. The taste has amazing brown sugar sweetness, bourbon, white oak, cherries, fig, plum, melons. The most amazing thing is there is not a trace of booze anywhere in this beer which is simply stunning considering the staggering 15.5% ABV. It'll feel like hot water in your stomach, but there is not booze to be found. One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.34/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Draft at The Bruery

Small head that falls to ring/khaki. Dark brown body with orange and red highlights. Leaves some lacing.

Big all around. Toasty bread and coconut. Sweet with molasses, brown sugar, toffee and caramel. Bourbon. Deep dark chocolate.

Big sweetness on the taste. The alcohol comes through. Vanilla, wood, coconut, dark fruit, toffee and chocolate.

Smooth and big bodied. Slight carbonation tingle on the tongue. Alcohol heat.

Drinkability isn't the best. The 4oz pour I had was perfect. I would definitely drink this again if given the opportunity though.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

750ml brown glass bottle with waxed-over pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in me friend's gaff in low altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. 15% ABV confirmed. Expectations are high given its current position in the top 250.

Served cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger wide khaki colour head. Decent creaminess. Nice thickness. Retention is bad. Decent lacing.

Body colour is a dark nontransparent brown with some red hues. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Murky.

Overall, it's a bit mundane for the style.

Sm: Oak. Vanilla. Caramel. Molasses. Brown sugar. Wood. Raisin. Plum. Cherry. Booze. Some burnt notes. I like the dark fruit. Sweet.

Not getting any yeast character.

T: Plum, dark fruit. Caramel. Molasses. Brown sugar. Wood. Raisin. Cherry. Some booze. Oak. Brown sugar. Vanilla. Light bourbon. Complex, with light subtlety. I don't know that it's top 250 quality, but I do like it. The barrel aging notes aren't as evocative or well-executed as I'd like; the oak is one note. Bourbon lacks evocative-ness.

Fairly balanced, but the booze does come through. I like the dark fruit notes, but they could be more evocative.

No yeast character or hops come through. I'm not getting much in the way of malts.

Mf: Viscous and syrupy, but enjoyable for what it is. Smooth and wet. Nicely carbonated. Too thick and overbearing. a bit vinous. Hot.

Dr: The booziness limits the drinkability. I'm glad I have others to share it with. I honestly wouldn't pay its hefty pricetag again, but I'm glad to have tried it once. A nice little blended beer from The Bruery, but its reputation isn't warranted. I like it, but it's not fantastic.

High B-

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml red waxed bottle poured into tulip 3/7/13 cheers alpineclimber for the bottle

A dark cola liquid until held to the light where it glows a deep maroon, to my surprise a thumbs width of foam lasts for a few sips leaving a single partial ring. not as dark as I was expecting almost being able to see the other side of the glass under the foam and I can see plenty of bubbles and a little sediment

S barrels strong with some wood, bourbon, vanilla, and a little booze but I'd never guess how strong it actually is, loads of caramel, a healthy dose of chocolate fudge, a little molasses with a hint of plum, sugar coated raisins, and maybe some dried cherries. plenty going on and I'm liking it, quite sweet and the booze is well hidden

T much more booze and a little anise I wasn't smelling, burnt brown sugar and slightly more oak but a little less bourbon, and very faint coffee, didn't quite live up to the nose but that still leaves some tasty liquid

M very thick and syrupy, just enough bubbles to give it some life and sticky on the lips, tannins are noticeable but slight, a numbing effect with a little heat, this finish isn't that strong but its complex

O lots going on and I have little to complain about, there's some booze popping up here and there but all things considered they made a massive beer quite drinkable. I've had my nose in my glass for a while now and its very impressive and if the flavor could've followed at that level this would've been one of my all time favorites

this one lives up to the hype and I'm just stoked I got to try it, lots going on and although I might regret it tomorrow I had no problems taking this monster down solo. I'd love to have another bottle to lay down for a decade but I feel lucky because I got to try this bad boy

The color is a very dark mahoghany, almost like black.

The aroma has tons of deep sweet caramel, bourbon, vanilla, almond, dark fruit, plum, and some woody oak.

The flavor follows with a punch of sweet juicy plum, raisin, prune, almost like a candy. Then there’s vanilla, caramel, oak, bourbon. It’s almost like biting into a caramel plum candy that just explodes with deep rich sweet flavors.

The mouthfeel is extremely rich and creamy. It’s almost like oil with how huge and thick the body is. There’s a slight booze on the back end, which makes sense for this beer.

For me, it’s mostly the Papier that comes through, as it’s much like an old ale with its molasses, bourbon, vanilla, oak, caramel. I don’t really get the stout characters of Black Tuesday, although I’ve never had either.

This is clearly one of the best beers I’ve ever had. Up there with the huge amazing bourbon barrel aged stouts. I love this beer.

4.61/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours quite still with limited carbonation as you would expect. The color is deep and dark, basically just this side of black. The smell changes with each nose as you get some bourbon, some roast, and some fruit. This beer is basically somewhere in the old ale/barleywine spectrum with hints of the RIS. It would pair incredibly with a cigar and blow right through the smoke. So much flavor. Different with every sip from roast to fruit to toffee all with full richness and dense mouthfeel. A pleasure to drink and worth the price tag for a special occasion.

4.46/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a teku glass. This is a 2012 version.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a reddish hue and leaves about a finger of off-white, light tan head.

Smell: Bourbon, hint of cherry, plum, vanilla, raisins, figs, cocoa. Solid aroma.

Taste: Matches the nose nicely: bourbon, vanilla, plums, oak, cherries, molasses. Plenty of alcohol present. Very sweet.

Mouth-feel: Medium to low carbonation (solid for this beer) with a medium, creamy body (a bit syrupy).

Overall: A solid BIG brew. Very, very sweet but this one has some nice flavors: the vanilla, oak and dark fruits play together nicely. Perhaps a tad hot, but tasty nonetheless.

4.21/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2011 Vintage poured in to Bruery tulip.

A - Poured dark brown and settled black with a thin layer of cream coloured head that immediately disappeared.

S - Big barrel notes come through first - bourbon, charred oak and vanilla. Chocolate fudge and dark caramel are also present from the base beers.

T - Sweet bourbon, charred oak and vanilla dominate as the barrel notes come to the forefront. Chocolate fudge, dark caramel and molasses flavours come through as well as lighter dark fruit flavours. The Black Tuesday seems to dominate this a little too much.

M - Medium body. Almost no carbonation.

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a murky dark reddish-brown. Medium sized fizzy light brown head. Head fades quickly with essentially zero lacing. Decent retention.

S: Big, huge, enormous and bold caramel notes. Strong bourbon and caramel malt both. Sweet, sweet, sweet and boozy. Strong oak with touches of vanilla. Dark fruits meld in nicely, a little cherry and a lot of raisin. Wonderful strong aroma.

T: Huge bourbon notes with sweet, sweet caramel and loaded with molasses. Unbelievably sweet, to the point of cloying for sure. Heavy raisins mixes in with the caramel and molasses. Just a smidgeon of chocolate fudge, primarily in the middle and getting a little more bitter into the finish. Pure boozy bourbon and oaky vanilla in the lingering aftertaste. This is one huge, boozy and sweet beer. Make no mistake.

M: Heavy, thick, viscous, over the top sweet and cloying.

O: This is one serious beer. Reminds me a lot of regular black tuesday but with less roasted malt. Huge sweet notes from the bourbon and from the heavy malts of all the blends. One of the biggest, nastiest black and tans I've ever laid eyes on. Given the blend, more like a black and ...dark brown. And dark brown. This one is a sipper, given the sweetness, the heaviness and the ABV. Packaging this in a 750ml seems ludicrous to me, but I will do my best to soldier through it.

4.85/5  rDev +11.5%

2012

A: Pours out a gorgeous murky ruby brown (yes, I think that's pretty) and leaves a surprisingly substantial head. Beige with big, barrel aged bubbles, big alcohol legs, pretty sticky. Has a much darker appearance in the glass than the pour - very dark ruby with no light getting through

S: Damn! Huge, huge boozy aroma of caramel, figs, raisins and bourbon. At first the chocolate from the BT comes through, but as it warms it turns into a big BW. The bourbon is very intense and enticing. Big rich caramel and some vanilla. It is very woody as well - nice charred oak and oaky vanilla. It smells more like a liquor than a beer.

T: Huge and very, very sweet, but thankfully not cloying. Rich caramel, dark fruits, and chocolate sweetness. Very boozy, the bourbon comes through strong. It finishes sticky and sweet leaving a coating in the mouth. Really nice warming sensation on the back of the mouth and throat.

P: Usually I am put-off by big beers that don't have an incredibly viscous mouthfeel, but the medium-full mouthfeel on this works perfectly. Incredibly smooth, very soft carbonation - almost none, decently sticky, chewy, long lasting finish.

O: I'd call this a barleywine, and a great one. One of the most bourbon intense beers I've had and I loved every minute of it. A big, sweet boozy monster that is incredibly well balanced.

4.07/5  rDev -6.4%

750 mL bottle poured into a tumbler.

Appearance - Deep brown. No real head. Slightly transparent at the edge. Leggy on the swirl.

Smell - Boozy as hell. Bourbon and brown sugar. Much more brown sugar than barrel complexity, but it smells like candy. Some oak and vanilla, but mostly sugars.

Taste - Sharp alcohol, bright fruity flavor. Probably from the alcohol. Less brown sugar, more of a deep caramel flavor. Some light roast. Lots of oak in the finish. Dry, amazingly.

Mouthfeel - Heavy, boozy, rough, sharp and alcoholic. Might be the two margaritas and multiple beers I had before this, but it's pretty dry.

Overall - Delicious blunt object of a beer. Bourbon brown sugar. Great stuff, if nothing but sugar and alcohol.

3.33/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle: Poured a dark cloudy brown color ale with a relatively large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of roasted malt with sweet notes, some bourbon and some vinous notes makes for a unique mix. Taste is a mix between bourbon and vanilla notes with some oak, dark fruit and some vinous notes which feels more or less balanced with the rest of the mix. Body is full with limited filtration and light warming alcohol. I didn’t really dig the mix between rich stout/old ale sweet notes and the dark fruit and also vinous feels of the beer.

4.69/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer was brought into a tasting by Mar02x. We had a Westvleteren tasting of different Westvleteren 12 bottle dates, end 2013 beginning 2013. After those bottles were gone the bigger work started. Tasted at the restaurant of the best beerbrewer in Holland: De Molen in Bodegraven on the first Easterday 2013.

This was the best beer of the tasting without a doubt. What a well balanced beer and what a depth. Sweet with almost no carbonation.

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to MrKenendy for sharing. Reviewed from notes.

Deep mahogany with a beige head of modest retention. Falls to a collar.

Initial balsamic pungency gives way to stewed fruit, toffee apples, cherries, muscatels, raisins.

Flavours are wayyy richer and sweeter. Redskins, stewed plums blackcurrant and caramel fudge.

Syrupy, rich and decadent, but not overly big for the ABV. Light carbonation. All told, it's quite drinkable.

Big but balanced. The high sweetness is offset by the barrel complexity, making it a pleasure to drink.

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Dark brown with a bit of red around the edges with a thin finger of frothy off-white head. Fades very quickly.

S - Caramel, dark caramel, and chocolate malts, oak, vanilla, Bourbon, brown sugar, black licorice, wheat, raisins and other dark fruits, and some booze.

T - Caramel, dark caramel, and a bit of chocolate malts, oak, vanilla, Bourbon, brown sugar, black licorice, raisins and other dark fruits, molasses, wheat, a hint of smoke, and some booze.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a warming and sweet finish.

D - Very bold and very complex. Also well balanced and the Bourbon is kept in check.

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery