Melange No. 3 - The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  15.50% ABV

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

(Beer added by: Floydster on 02-14-2009)
thewimperoo

3.75/5  rDev -15.5%

07-15-2013 18:54:55 | More by thewimperoo
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

4.58/5  rDev +3.2%

2011 bottle

Appearance. Pours a murky deep brown with a little rust and a thin, light tan head.

Smell. Wow! Big sweet bourbon, some caramel candy, a little bit of coffee, molasses and chocolate. Smells pretty awesome.

Taste. Oh man. Sweet bourbon and chocolate. Just a ton of both!! Some nice caramel and toffee with a little creamy sweet coffee and toasted wood. Fucking incredible.

Mouthfeel. Full body, but not in any way thick or syrupy. Does that even make sense? Lets say it defys the laws of physics. Medium carbonation.

Overall. Good lord, this is just packed with flavour. All good stuff too. Wishing I hadn't traded away my other bottle now!!

Edit: I can't believe I drank that whole thing myself. Yikes. I'll be enlising some help the next time I crack something like this...

10-19-2012 02:03:10 | More by Rutager

Sparky44

12-15-2013 02:57:56 | More by Sparky44
Arbitrator

3.68/5  rDev -17.1%

Received bottles from Alen and Nick3. Thanks guys.

Re-review off a bottle I opened to share with some non-BAs. I wanted some perspective that didn't come from hype or rarity, so I was curious to see what they would think.

My impression was very similar to the first time I had this beer. It was boozier than I remembered, slightly harsh with a nail-polish feel that others also remarked on.

The aroma was outstanding. I loved the vivid bouquet of chocolate, grapes, toffee, vanilla, and molasses. The taste was a little less impressive; the finer points were harder to pick out, and the beer bludgeoned me with chocolate, brandy, and molasses for the most part. Tannins were noticeable and balancing in the finish. I found this sweet and rich. One bottle among 4 people was way too much. I'm very glad I got to try this, but I probably won't go out of my way for it again.

~~~

Original comments:

Shared by dbuckingham. Thanks, David.

A: Pours a reddish brown (puce?) with just a light film of foam on top of the brew. Not much of a collar; no lace. It's more of a leggy beer with some obvious sugars here. I will give it points on the legs. For a 17% beer I don't expect much carbonation.

S: This smells like Brandy Old Stock. I don't think anything in here was aged in brandy barrels, but it has that toffee, caramel, dark fruit (grapes, figs) aroma that I remember. Vanilla, oak, molasses. A substantial, thick aroma that promises a great dessert experience.

T: And the taste absolutely nails the promise of the nose. Again, the Brandy Old Stock comparison is warranted. Rum-soaked raisins, toffee, caramel, figs, vanilla, oak, molasses. I guess this has some Black Tuesday mixed in, but I can't really pick up any strong bourbon. I get some molasses, though. Overall, an incredibly sweet taste that drives home the Bruery's signature style. I couldn't have this in large quantities, but I appreciate the glass.

M: Medium-bodied; I expected it to be heftier considering the sugars and ABV. Low carbonation. It is quite smooth, creamy, with a moderate heat to it. I don't normally enjoy boozy beers, but I appreciate it when the heat is well-integrated; it works fairly well here.

D: Idiotic decision to release this in 750mLs. I'm not shy about saying it. That being said, I'd be willing to try finishing a bottle of this on my own.

01-08-2011 20:08:58 | More by Arbitrator

10-06-2012 13:36:17 | More by muskiesman
jrenihan

Ontario (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Beer is very dark in colour, but not quite black. Seems to be a very dark brown, with slight reddish hints. A small beige head, fades quickly.

Nose is big, complex and nice. Bourbon, oak, vanilla, caramel and booze are all strong. Coconut. Some chocolate.

Taste is similar to the nose, but there is a big dark fruit component that I did not get in the smell. Cherry comes to mind. Other than that, lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla. Caramel is strong, and there is also brown sugar and molasses. A LOT of alcohol heat. One heavy beer. A very nice flavour, but a bit over the top.

Full bodied, low to moderate carbonation. Big and heavy, lots of burn. Slick.

Overall, quite good, but too extreme. I am sure this beer would have been more enjoyable at a comparatively moderate 12% or so. Very nice but hard going.

09-21-2013 00:42:11 | More by jrenihan
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

4.23/5  rDev -4.7%

Glad to try this

The beer pours a deep dark brown. Little lacing and no head. Very mild nose, figs, tobacco, raisin and intense sweetness. The taste matches with incrediblly ripe fruits, but the burp is a hoppy molasses. Strange beer, but almost consistent with an old ale description. The booze are consistently hidden, but catch up to you. I honestly don't know how they hid >15% in this beer. Definitely a tasty beer, but I wouldn't charge more than $20 by any means.

02-19-2012 03:53:34 | More by ThePorterSorter
rye726

Colorado

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

This is quite an impressive offering from The Bruery. Pours a dark woody brown with a thin tan head.

The nose and taste are too complex for my vocabulary to even attempt describing. There is a huge oak and bourbon presence along with sweet pitted fruits and dark roasted malts. Peppery alcohol, more ripe cherries and plums, chocolate, caramel, toffee, vanilla and so much more.

Full body was thick and creamy, light carbonation. Amazingly drinkable for 15+ percent. I had way too much of this at the Boulder Strong Ale Fest, but I am very glad I did.

03-04-2009 19:42:00 | More by rye726
vonnegut21

02-06-2013 14:45:34 | More by vonnegut21
GreesyFizeek

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottle shared by yours truly at Curran's tasting.

Pours a murky dark brown, almost like liquid Werther's candy, with no head or lacing.

Smells like sweet bourbon, caramel liqueur (if that exists?), brown sugar, toffee, and booze. Smells decadent and sweet, which is how it translates flavor-wise.

This one is a world-beater, so unbelievably tasty. So much caramel and toffee here, the chocolate monstrosity that is Black Tuesday is in full force, but it is overshadowed by the caramel/toffee invasion that is supplied by White Oak Sap and the anniversary ale. So much vanilla and oak as well, as well as the expected bourbon push, sweet, slightly smoky, but full of coconut and vanilla goodness. Just out of words to describe how good this is.

Full bodied, but not too thick, creamy, sweet mouthfeel. Very low carbonation.

This one absolutely blew me away. Bravo!

06-22-2014 03:20:04 | More by GreesyFizeek
notchucknorris

4.56/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Pours a deep cola color with a surprisingly large tan head. Eventually, the head gets sucked down into the dense liquid, but I was surprised to see any at all.

S: I'd say this is pretty similar to Black Tuesday. And that is a very good thing. A deep sweet aroma that makes you want to swim in this stuff. Toffee, vanilla, bourbon, caramel, light coconut and toasted brown sugar. If you like sweet things (like I do), this is money.

T: Again, really, really freaking good. Opens with a lot of molasses, milk chocolate covered raisin, and burnt caramel. Dark fruit, especially black cherry is in there as well. Middle features some chocolate and bourbon before a finish of toasted oak and brown sugar. A hint of warmness on the finish, but otherwise the alcohol proves pretty elusive. Mouthfeel is near perfect. Rich and slick without becoming too syrupy. Get it.

09-25-2013 01:58:13 | More by notchucknorris

Zbeetleman

07-10-2013 01:56:38 | More by Zbeetleman
jegross2

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%

Reviewing the Melange 3 from The Bruery. This is a blend of Black Tuesday, White Oak and Papier. This is only the second beer that I have ever tried from The Bruery, the other one being 100% Barrel Aged Cuir -- which was divine. The Bruery is probably best known for their highly sought after Russian Imperial Stout -- Black Tuesday. I should have a bottle of all three arriving in the mail soon!
Score: 97

Red waxed 2011 vintage bottle served in a Surly Darkness snifter and enjoyed on 01/19/12.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown color with caramel highlights at the top of the glass. One finger of frothy off white/cream colored head that settles into a ring around the glass. Light lacing -- leaves behind some oily brown residue on the side of the glass that slowly drips back down -- but that is to be expected from a 15.5% ABV beer. 4/5

Smell: There's a ton going on in the aroma. From the first pull I get tiramissu, vanilla and brown sugar. There's definitely some molasses in there too. I cannot put my finger on exactly what type, but there's a distinct type of cake aroma here. I wish I could pin down which cake I'm thinking of. Further whiffs reveal raisin/dark fruit and some chocolate. There's a smooth leathery bourbon aroma in there too, but no real "alcohol" booziness in the nose, which is surprising because this one is a 15.5% ABV beer. 4.5/5

Taste: Wow. The flavor to this is divine. Upfront I get some vanilla flavored cake of sorts with alcohol warming, but no alcohol flavor/bite. There's some brown sugar and molasses here, as well as bourbon soaked raisins. Lots of sweet malty flavors present, but this beer is not overly sweet -- it is very smooth, balanced and complex. There are some other dark fruit flavors and some chocolate in the background as well. Lots of creamy vanilla. Lingering finish of bourbon and dark fruit. I cannot get over how smooth the bourbon flavors in this beer are. They are very mellow (rather than aggressive) and "palate soaking" at the same time. There is no "boozy sting" to the flavor at any point. I'm surprised so much alcohol can be so well hidden. 5/5

Mouthfeel: High-medium bodied, no carbonation. Mouthfeel is viscous, sticky and a little chewy. Finish is sweet. 4.5/5

Overall: An excellent blended beer -- probably the best blended beer that I have ever had.

Recommendation: Everyone needs to seek this one out.

Pairings: Digestif. Could go great with some buttery nuts like cashews or peanuts or almonds.

Cost: $35 for a 750 ml bottle.

01-20-2012 19:10:40 | More by jegross2