Melange No. 3 - The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery visit their website

American Strong Ale |  15.50% ABV

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

(Beer added by: Floydster on 02-14-2009)
3.75/5  rDev -15.3%

thewimperoo, Jul 15, 2013

2dogbrew, Apr 22, 2012
3.8/5  rDev -14.2%

Got this particular bottle from Beerpirates, but have also had bottes from hotpipes and Cedromar. Thanks for the trades everyone. I thought I'd try this one solo for the first time. Let's see how it goes.

From a 750ml bottle into a Bruery snifter. Snifter provided by Doodler.
Vintage: 2010
Blend of Black Tuesday, Papier and White Oak.

APPEARANCE: A clear brown pour produces a two finger, medium-thinner looking tan head with decent retention. A transparent bistre brown in color with lots of carbonation evident. Head fades quickly into a thick foam cap. A good foam ring remains until the end but leaves no lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Big bourbon barrel nose on this one. Bourbon, oak, vanilla and milk chocolate all over the place. Some dark chocolate and touches of roasted malts are there as well. This one is very barrel heavy and has a lot of Black Tuesday in the mix.

TASTE: Very barrel heavy, and still very hot. Bourbon, vanilla, milk chocolate and oak notes up front, with lots of alcohol and heat. Spicy alcohol and some pure chocolate and sweet caramel at the swallow. Bold and lingering aftertaste is very barrel heavy with some bitter chocolate and sweet caramel as well. Tasty and definitely a bourbon barrel beer, but also very hot still. The heat keeps this beer from being an other-worldly treat.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Semi-creamy on the palate, goes down fine with a big burn at the swallow and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Lots of heat lingers on the palate. Hot stuff.

OVERALL: This is certainly a tasty beer, but the heat is still overwhelming. It took me 5+ hours to work through this bottle. Perhaps some time will mellow out the heat and make this one easier to drink, and if that actually happens, this will become a world class beer. No doubt this one is complex and enjoyable, but the boozy heat does get in the way at times. Definitely worth checking out if you get the chance, but make sure there are at least two other people there to help you out. Thanks again for the trade Pirates. I’ll have to have you here to help me next time I drink one of these.

Jeffo, Dec 17, 2011

egrace84, Feb 11, 2013

seeswo, May 20, 2012

duff247, Oct 05, 2012

Smarty_Pints, Jan 19, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +9.5%

Bottle shared by yours truly at Curran's tasting.

Pours a murky dark brown, almost like liquid Werther's candy, with no head or lacing.

Smells like sweet bourbon, caramel liqueur (if that exists?), brown sugar, toffee, and booze. Smells decadent and sweet, which is how it translates flavor-wise.

This one is a world-beater, so unbelievably tasty. So much caramel and toffee here, the chocolate monstrosity that is Black Tuesday is in full force, but it is overshadowed by the caramel/toffee invasion that is supplied by White Oak Sap and the anniversary ale. So much vanilla and oak as well, as well as the expected bourbon push, sweet, slightly smoky, but full of coconut and vanilla goodness. Just out of words to describe how good this is.

Full bodied, but not too thick, creamy, sweet mouthfeel. Very low carbonation.

This one absolutely blew me away. Bravo!

GreesyFizeek, Jun 22, 2014

tclapper, Mar 09, 2012

Sparky44, Dec 15, 2013
4.15/5  rDev -6.3%

Beer is very dark in colour, but not quite black. Seems to be a very dark brown, with slight reddish hints. A small beige head, fades quickly.

Nose is big, complex and nice. Bourbon, oak, vanilla, caramel and booze are all strong. Coconut. Some chocolate.

Taste is similar to the nose, but there is a big dark fruit component that I did not get in the smell. Cherry comes to mind. Other than that, lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla. Caramel is strong, and there is also brown sugar and molasses. A LOT of alcohol heat. One heavy beer. A very nice flavour, but a bit over the top.

Full bodied, low to moderate carbonation. Big and heavy, lots of burn. Slick.

Overall, quite good, but too extreme. I am sure this beer would have been more enjoyable at a comparatively moderate 12% or so. Very nice but hard going.

jrenihan, Sep 21, 2013

JamLand, May 29, 2013

VeganUndead, Mar 11, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -16.9%

Received bottles from Alen and Nick3. Thanks guys.

Re-review off a bottle I opened to share with some non-BAs. I wanted some perspective that didn't come from hype or rarity, so I was curious to see what they would think.

My impression was very similar to the first time I had this beer. It was boozier than I remembered, slightly harsh with a nail-polish feel that others also remarked on.

The aroma was outstanding. I loved the vivid bouquet of chocolate, grapes, toffee, vanilla, and molasses. The taste was a little less impressive; the finer points were harder to pick out, and the beer bludgeoned me with chocolate, brandy, and molasses for the most part. Tannins were noticeable and balancing in the finish. I found this sweet and rich. One bottle among 4 people was way too much. I'm very glad I got to try this, but I probably won't go out of my way for it again.

~~~

Original comments:

Shared by dbuckingham. Thanks, David.

A: Pours a reddish brown (puce?) with just a light film of foam on top of the brew. Not much of a collar; no lace. It's more of a leggy beer with some obvious sugars here. I will give it points on the legs. For a 17% beer I don't expect much carbonation.

S: This smells like Brandy Old Stock. I don't think anything in here was aged in brandy barrels, but it has that toffee, caramel, dark fruit (grapes, figs) aroma that I remember. Vanilla, oak, molasses. A substantial, thick aroma that promises a great dessert experience.

T: And the taste absolutely nails the promise of the nose. Again, the Brandy Old Stock comparison is warranted. Rum-soaked raisins, toffee, caramel, figs, vanilla, oak, molasses. I guess this has some Black Tuesday mixed in, but I can't really pick up any strong bourbon. I get some molasses, though. Overall, an incredibly sweet taste that drives home the Bruery's signature style. I couldn't have this in large quantities, but I appreciate the glass.

M: Medium-bodied; I expected it to be heftier considering the sugars and ABV. Low carbonation. It is quite smooth, creamy, with a moderate heat to it. I don't normally enjoy boozy beers, but I appreciate it when the heat is well-integrated; it works fairly well here.

D: Idiotic decision to release this in 750mLs. I'm not shy about saying it. That being said, I'd be willing to try finishing a bottle of this on my own.

Arbitrator, Jan 08, 2011
4.23/5  rDev -4.5%

Glad to try this

The beer pours a deep dark brown. Little lacing and no head. Very mild nose, figs, tobacco, raisin and intense sweetness. The taste matches with incrediblly ripe fruits, but the burp is a hoppy molasses. Strange beer, but almost consistent with an old ale description. The booze are consistently hidden, but catch up to you. I honestly don't know how they hid >15% in this beer. Definitely a tasty beer, but I wouldn't charge more than $20 by any means.

ThePorterSorter, Feb 19, 2012

Kurmaraja, Jan 30, 2014

Stinger80OH, Jun 22, 2014
4.56/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Pours a deep cola color with a surprisingly large tan head. Eventually, the head gets sucked down into the dense liquid, but I was surprised to see any at all.

S: I'd say this is pretty similar to Black Tuesday. And that is a very good thing. A deep sweet aroma that makes you want to swim in this stuff. Toffee, vanilla, bourbon, caramel, light coconut and toasted brown sugar. If you like sweet things (like I do), this is money.

T: Again, really, really freaking good. Opens with a lot of molasses, milk chocolate covered raisin, and burnt caramel. Dark fruit, especially black cherry is in there as well. Middle features some chocolate and bourbon before a finish of toasted oak and brown sugar. A hint of warmness on the finish, but otherwise the alcohol proves pretty elusive. Mouthfeel is near perfect. Rich and slick without becoming too syrupy. Get it.

notchucknorris, Sep 25, 2013

vonnegut21, Feb 06, 2013
4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

This is quite an impressive offering from The Bruery. Pours a dark woody brown with a thin tan head.

The nose and taste are too complex for my vocabulary to even attempt describing. There is a huge oak and bourbon presence along with sweet pitted fruits and dark roasted malts. Peppery alcohol, more ripe cherries and plums, chocolate, caramel, toffee, vanilla and so much more.

Full body was thick and creamy, light carbonation. Amazingly drinkable for 15+ percent. I had way too much of this at the Boulder Strong Ale Fest, but I am very glad I did.

rye726, Mar 04, 2009

beergorrilla, Dec 10, 2012

hoppymcgee, Mar 21, 2012

atone315, Aug 08, 2013

oglmcdgl, Jan 28, 2013
4.35/5  rDev -1.8%

750mL bottle split with a few friends, poured into a wine glass.

Appearance is mahogany with just some light lacing to it. This strong ale has a nose of licorice, bourbon, vanilla and roasted malts. A serious beer, which I sip slowly and taste dark fruit, toffee, more bourbon and some coffee. Mouthfeel is kind of heavy, with a good amount of alcohol presence, but a nice amount of carbonation to. This beer drinks nicely, but is certainly meant for smaller portions consumed over time.

mltobin, Oct 05, 2012