White Oak - The Bruery

White OakWhite Oak

The Bruery visit their website

Wheatwine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-12-2009

White Oak is a blended beer-- 50% wheatwine aged in Bourbon barrels (we call it "White Oak Sap"), and 50% Mischief (our Golden Strong Ale). Vivid caramel, coconut and vanilla flavors blanketed in a crisp yet robust wheat ale, White Oak is an exercise of balance.
Reviews by DavoleBomb:
3.7/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a perfect pint. Big thanks to bigsippin for helping this get to me.

3.5 A: Deeply hazed light orange brown color. Three fingers of frothy/pillowy white head. Retention is about average for the ABV and a moderate amount of lacing is left.

3.5 S: It's pretty easy to pick up which aromas come from Mischief and which are from the wheatwine. There's a ton of vanilla in this, which is surprising since only 50% of this rested in barrels. I'll also agree with the label and say that there is a bunch of coconut as well. As for the caramel, I dunno, not so much. Big fruitiness featuring peach, apple, and lots of white grape. Perhaps a touch of citrus underneath. The Mischief components include a spicy yeastiness that centers around pepper. Not sweet, but leaning toward sweet. I'm sure the Mischief really dried out the wheatwine here. Bourbon is very subtle to the point that I might not have noticed it if it wasn't on the label. Slight earthiness from this to go along with the vanilla and oak.

3.5 T: The bourbon comes out more in the taste. It's still complementary, but it's a been upgraded from single A to triple AAA. Big wheat notes with the fruits mentioned in the nose. More coconut in the nose than the taste. Vanilla is big in this too and oak isn't too far behind. The spicy yeastiness from Mischief stands out well in the taste, maybe even moreso than it does in Mischief itself. Earthiness and a touch of leather from the bourbon. Somewhat floral with a heavier citrus note than in the smell.

4.5 M: The best part about this brew. Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation with a nice spritziness to it. Super creamy and quite smooth. Booze is very well hidden.

4.0 D: I am a bit surprised how much I like this considering I think Mischief sucks balls. Still, I can't help but think the wheatwine itself is probably a hell of a lot better. (I guess I can find out somewhat when I get my White Chocolates). In any case, not bad and worth a try.

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured into an overized wine glass a hazed orange infused copper color with a thin white head atop.Alot of hot booze in the nose along with heavy yeast esters,lingering vanilla and a hint of spiced pears.Really hot at first,it took a few swallows for it to tone down enough for me,vanilla and alot of yeasty notes,faint drying and toasted oak in the finish.A little hot for my liking,it has some rich flavors but they are masked a little by the yeast and big alcohol in my opinion.

3.74/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%

poured from aprox 22 oz. bottle into tulip shaped pint glass.... nice initial head but soon disapates with no lacing.... reminds me of an oak aged saison/farmhouse ale... if i was blindfolded i would have bet it was brewed @ ommegang brewery... which in my opinion is a huge compliment...OMMEGANG RULES... a little pricey @ $16.99, but i would buy this again on occasion... very good stuff... but very little bourbon character... a little hot @ 11.5% ABV, but i like that...

4.57/5  rDev +18.1%

This beer surprised the hell out of me. I went over to the Bruery to reserve a bottle or two of Black Tuesday and they had a tasting flight of BT, White Oak and Papier...

The sweet vanilla notes of the bourbon barrel stand out so well in this beer that I swear it tasted like a glazed doughnut. The taste of pear also shines through wonderfully along with some other fruit flavors. Then, the aftertaste of booze finishes out in double time. Good booze.

All and all, I think I have been more impressed with this than any other Bruery beer (other than black tuesday which is made with Narwhal horn, the blood of the last known Mayans, and Panda tears...)

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2012 release. Notes from May 2012.

A - Pours a hazy orange with almost four fingers of white head. Head has good retention. Very little lacing.

S - Mostly caramel and juicy citrus, with some banana, faint vanilla and bready malt. Not really sure what to make of this, to be honest. Not bad, but doesn't really draw me in.

T - Caramel malt, with orange and other citrus pulp. Subtle bourbon character with vanilla and oak. Also, some banana taste and quite a bit of bread. Kind of an odd tasting brew, but pretty tasty.

M - Medium mouthfeel with prickly carbonation. Somewhat sticky sweet, but finishes with an oaky dryness.

O - Not really sure what to make of this one. I wouldn't seek it out, but it does have some good things going on, including a pretty good flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this beer off my wants list.

The beer pours a hazy golden color with a large white head. The aroma has a lot of wheat in it, as well as some pepper and bubblegum notes. The flavor is similar but more complex. I get a lot of wheat, as well as a big dose of alcohol up front. I also get some pepper notes, as well as a very light amount of whiskey and some Belgian yeast. The oak is very strong in the beer and really is what this beer is all about, which I guess you can expect given the beer's name. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Glad I got to try this one.

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bright golden hued with vibrant carbonation and brilliant clarity. The head is easily an inch thick of tightly woven and off white in color. Light Brussels lacing. Aroma of oak and pale wheat when combined almost give off a dry cider like note. The flavor is an intense blend of oak and pale wheat,which, like the aroma,almost give a dry cider like flavor. There's a residual sweetness that lingers that I find a bit cloying. I believe the bourbon notes and the oak are clashing with the pale wheat. The palate is highly carbonated and slightly warm from the alcohol.

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

Orangish color with a big fat white head to it. Nice. Aroma was a little coconut, warm sweet alcohol, oak, honey.

Warming sensation on the tongue, again, light coconut, wheat aspect is pretty much completely lost on me, but it may be what contributes to the effortless weight of the mouthfeel despite the high abv and ability to pick lots of different flavors and nuances out of this one. Vanilla and bourbon later on. The least bourbon flvor of any bruery bourbon barrel stuff, this stuff has the warming (not hot) heat, but it just doesn't impart much bourbon until you kinda look for it.

Pretty nice stuff. Goes well with Black Tuesday.
As far as any fruit flavors, they'd have to be light skinned type of fruit, I'm talking pear, lemon, white grapes type of stuff.

White Oak from The Bruery