White Oak - The Bruery

White OakWhite Oak

The Bruery visit their website

Wheatwine |  11.50% ABV

White Oak is a blended beer-- 50% wheatwine aged in Bourbon barrels (we call it "White Oak Sap"), and 50% Mischief (our Golden Strong Ale). Vivid caramel, coconut and vanilla flavors blanketed in a crisp yet robust wheat ale, White Oak is an exercise of balance.

(Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-12-2009)

A: The beer is very hazy golden yellow in color and poured with a quarter finger high white head that died down a bit but consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: There are light aromas of bourbon from the barrel aging in the nose; these become stronger as the beer warms up.
T: The taste is a little more complex and has flavors of bourbon and coconut.
M: It feels a bit more than medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. There is some warming from the alcohol in the finish.
O: This beer is an interesting mix of beers (half wheatwhine aged in bourbon barrels and half Mischief)

metter98, Jun 30, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

tylermains, Jun 30, 2012

Daniellobo, Jun 29, 2012

2dogbrew, Jun 25, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

This beer is interesting but at the same time it is sort of falling into the category of a 'experimental beer' that doesn't taste all that unique.

Pours with a fizzy white head that dies to a ring, with a very cloudy orange colored hue body with some gold highlights.

The smell is a sort of booze soaked wheat and just a touch of bourbon though it is slight, and mostly I just get a kind of strong though lighter malt note.

The taste has a very distinct 'the Breuery' yeast and malt profile, touched with some oak and a semi sweet to sweet booze flavor. Seem tropical fruit flavors in there as well, which is very interesting and adds in well to the bready malt base.

The feel is good, ok carbo and medium feel, not too hot in the booze.

The beer is good, but not something I'd pay $16 for again honestly. Worth a try.

Dreadnaught33, Jun 25, 2012

brez8791, Jun 24, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

A - pours a very murky light orange with a frothy bright white foam that takes its time fading and leaves a nice amount of lacing down the glass
S - For me the aroma is very nondescript. I can pick up the wheat along with a hint of some coconut and/or a sort of sap smell.
T - Very interesting flavor, kind of oak-ey, sprucey flavor with coconut coming on strong, some vanilla and oak from the barrel, i taste a little bit of the bourbon but not enough to really pick it out. I'm starting to warm up to this one and am enjoying it more as I drink it.
M/D - medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. It sort of has a syrupy mouthfeel to it and that detracts a little. It really reminds me of a spruce ale I brewed. I like it, not sure i'd go for another bottle on my own though.

mikereaser, Jun 24, 2012

Reagan1984, Jun 24, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750, very frothy head with golden color and dense carbonation. Smell was mostly of bourbon barrel, with some vanilla? Taset was heavy on the bourbob, not my favorite. Also sweet and fairly alcoholic. This should be served in 2 or 4 oz. size for me, as that's plenty. Not a refreshing or tasty beer. Mouthfeel was fine, but the taste missed for me.

BeTheBall, Jun 23, 2012

rab53, Jun 23, 2012

bmoney, Jun 23, 2012

eawolff99, Jun 23, 2012

silentjay, Jun 20, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

cashmier, Jun 20, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

A - a very golden yellow beer that pours out with a mildly off white/fluffy white head. I had lots of foam on my pour. I blame it on bottle conditioning and not technique. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

S - LOTS of oak and bourbon in the smell. Wheat comes through shortly after, but dominated my oak and bourbon.

T - I've had this a few times now and I can best describe it as a handful of wheat tossed into a bourbon vat. Oak meets you up front, wheat and bourbon in the middle with more wheat on the finish. Warming bourbon and the 11.5% lingers a bit but the ABV is never really knocking you out.

M - medium bodied, more carbonation that I expected the first time I tried it, but with this style of beer the extra carbonation really helps to keep it from feeling too starchy.

O - The first wheat wine I've ever had, and really an enjoyable one. One of the easiest drinking high abv beers I've had. Bourbon goodness in a lighter colored beer.

Sixt9coug, Jun 18, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

The beer is golden colored with a thick, towering white head. The liquid is just a tad hazy and is teeming with effervesence. The head displays lasting retention and leaves ample lacing in it's wake.

The aroma offers a light touch of bourbon, bold oak character, citrus and yeast akin to a Belgian tripel.

The flavor is dominated by oak. Additional aspects include a touch of booze heat, yeast, citrus. The finish brings grain and wheat. Some vanilla character comes though more as the beer is allowed to warm.

Light bodied given the 11.5% abv. Moderate carbonation. Complex and very drinkable.

I am not normally a fan of wheatwines, but I am really enjoying this one. By far the best example of the style I have had.

Huhzubendah, Jun 16, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

This was the beer that I was able to add to the little tasting shindig that Pete put together. Review is from notes taken on 6/10/2012 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a cloudy coppery color; starts with a huge billowy off-white head; tons of cloudiness in the body; lots of lacing hanging on the sides of the glass, and ultimately summed up in the firm cap resting at the top.

Taste: Tons and tons of mulch wheat, but I have to be honest, the smell of this beer is more reminiscent of whole leaf, moist and sticky tobacco with plant of raisin and fig blending; there is a nice vanilla and oaky sweetness with a bit of the astringency that also comes from the oak adde two more levels of complexity to this already hearty beer and it's big booziness. I'm really please that this was crack with friends, because I feel that if I tried to nurse one of these to myself, it would have ended poorly. A great beer that would be a great dessert beer with nothing else needing to hold up any end or obligation.

Mouthfeel: Body was of medium weight; very warm and boozy; carbonation was rather sot and smooth -- avoided being sharp the entire time.

Overall: This is a sweet beer with a lot going on, and that big ABV would throw your thoughts straight to the hopper if you drink too much and try to think about it. Moderation is certainly key with this bad boy, but I'll say i again, The Bruery has certainly come though.

bamadog, Jun 16, 2012

kdown, Jun 11, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

hickmancase, Jun 08, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

I had received a 2011 version from one of my close friends who had aged it for a little under a year. It aged well in a wonderful environment for aging.

I poured from the bottle into a chalice and there was about a half inch thick head that wasn't too creamy, but faded fairly quick. It had a golden/darker yellow color to it.

When I saw the title, "white oak" I imediately thought, white wine. There wasn't too much of an alcoholic taste to it, but it definitely had a zap on my tongue on the swallow. The mouthfeel made my mouth feel a little stingy, but not in a bad way. It made it clear this was an anniversary selection. Maybe the bourbon barrels played a role in this? And also, it was served at a little under room temperature, so it wasn't as its maximum potential when I had it.

I tasted sour grapes, coconut and a hint of vanilla after I had my first taste. This is a great beer, and definitely added to my small palette of beers. Highly recommended.

I love my ales as much as I love my Belgians, and I have to say, this has been a good competitor on what I think is one of the best beers I've had. A great experience for me, I made a trade with my friend for this bottle. I would advise anyone who has a limited chance at getting their hands on a year aged bottle, to go for it.

Raiden805, Jun 07, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

750ml bottle from the most recent release. Poured into several sampler glasses with some friends. The brew appears a hazed golden yellow with 3 fingers of white froth. A full wall of lace sticks to the glass.

The smell initially opens with hints of sulfur and some tangy alcohol inclusion before giving way to spices like clove and orange zest. There is minor oak inclusion that comes out in the back when it warms up.

The taste is herbal with a mixture of dry oaky quality, clove and some other yeasty spice aspects. Herbal hop flavoring runs throughout with significantly more barrel presence than the aroma led on. The aftertaste includes oak, vanilla, herbal hops and lots of tangy alcohol.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. A decent sipper that seems like something is going on with it. Not really what I expected for a barrel aged wheatwine but wasnt horrible either.

stakem, Jun 05, 2012