White Oak - The Bruery

White OakWhite Oak

The Bruery visit their website

Wheatwine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-12-2009

White Oak is a blended beer-- 50% wheatwine aged in Bourbon barrels (we call it "White Oak Sap"), and 50% Mischief (our Golden Strong Ale). Vivid caramel, coconut and vanilla flavors blanketed in a crisp yet robust wheat ale, White Oak is an exercise of balance.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer is interesting but at the same time it is sort of falling into the category of a 'experimental beer' that doesn't taste all that unique.

Pours with a fizzy white head that dies to a ring, with a very cloudy orange colored hue body with some gold highlights.

The smell is a sort of booze soaked wheat and just a touch of bourbon though it is slight, and mostly I just get a kind of strong though lighter malt note.

The taste has a very distinct 'the Breuery' yeast and malt profile, touched with some oak and a semi sweet to sweet booze flavor. Seem tropical fruit flavors in there as well, which is very interesting and adds in well to the bready malt base.

The feel is good, ok carbo and medium feel, not too hot in the booze.

The beer is good, but not something I'd pay $16 for again honestly. Worth a try.

3.46/5  rDev -10.6%

A - pours a very murky light orange with a frothy bright white foam that takes its time fading and leaves a nice amount of lacing down the glass
S - For me the aroma is very nondescript. I can pick up the wheat along with a hint of some coconut and/or a sort of sap smell.
T - Very interesting flavor, kind of oak-ey, sprucey flavor with coconut coming on strong, some vanilla and oak from the barrel, i taste a little bit of the bourbon but not enough to really pick it out. I'm starting to warm up to this one and am enjoying it more as I drink it.
M/D - medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. It sort of has a syrupy mouthfeel to it and that detracts a little. It really reminds me of a spruce ale I brewed. I like it, not sure i'd go for another bottle on my own though.

2.61/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750, very frothy head with golden color and dense carbonation. Smell was mostly of bourbon barrel, with some vanilla? Taset was heavy on the bourbob, not my favorite. Also sweet and fairly alcoholic. This should be served in 2 or 4 oz. size for me, as that's plenty. Not a refreshing or tasty beer. Mouthfeel was fine, but the taste missed for me.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%

A - a very golden yellow beer that pours out with a mildly off white/fluffy white head. I had lots of foam on my pour. I blame it on bottle conditioning and not technique. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

S - LOTS of oak and bourbon in the smell. Wheat comes through shortly after, but dominated my oak and bourbon.

T - I've had this a few times now and I can best describe it as a handful of wheat tossed into a bourbon vat. Oak meets you up front, wheat and bourbon in the middle with more wheat on the finish. Warming bourbon and the 11.5% lingers a bit but the ABV is never really knocking you out.

M - medium bodied, more carbonation that I expected the first time I tried it, but with this style of beer the extra carbonation really helps to keep it from feeling too starchy.

O - The first wheat wine I've ever had, and really an enjoyable one. One of the easiest drinking high abv beers I've had. Bourbon goodness in a lighter colored beer.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

The beer is golden colored with a thick, towering white head. The liquid is just a tad hazy and is teeming with effervesence. The head displays lasting retention and leaves ample lacing in it's wake.

The aroma offers a light touch of bourbon, bold oak character, citrus and yeast akin to a Belgian tripel.

The flavor is dominated by oak. Additional aspects include a touch of booze heat, yeast, citrus. The finish brings grain and wheat. Some vanilla character comes though more as the beer is allowed to warm.

Light bodied given the 11.5% abv. Moderate carbonation. Complex and very drinkable.

I am not normally a fan of wheatwines, but I am really enjoying this one. By far the best example of the style I have had.

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

This was the beer that I was able to add to the little tasting shindig that Pete put together. Review is from notes taken on 6/10/2012 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a cloudy coppery color; starts with a huge billowy off-white head; tons of cloudiness in the body; lots of lacing hanging on the sides of the glass, and ultimately summed up in the firm cap resting at the top.

Taste: Tons and tons of mulch wheat, but I have to be honest, the smell of this beer is more reminiscent of whole leaf, moist and sticky tobacco with plant of raisin and fig blending; there is a nice vanilla and oaky sweetness with a bit of the astringency that also comes from the oak adde two more levels of complexity to this already hearty beer and it's big booziness. I'm really please that this was crack with friends, because I feel that if I tried to nurse one of these to myself, it would have ended poorly. A great beer that would be a great dessert beer with nothing else needing to hold up any end or obligation.

Mouthfeel: Body was of medium weight; very warm and boozy; carbonation was rather sot and smooth -- avoided being sharp the entire time.

Overall: This is a sweet beer with a lot going on, and that big ABV would throw your thoughts straight to the hopper if you drink too much and try to think about it. Moderation is certainly key with this bad boy, but I'll say i again, The Bruery has certainly come though.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

I had received a 2011 version from one of my close friends who had aged it for a little under a year. It aged well in a wonderful environment for aging.

I poured from the bottle into a chalice and there was about a half inch thick head that wasn't too creamy, but faded fairly quick. It had a golden/darker yellow color to it.

When I saw the title, "white oak" I imediately thought, white wine. There wasn't too much of an alcoholic taste to it, but it definitely had a zap on my tongue on the swallow. The mouthfeel made my mouth feel a little stingy, but not in a bad way. It made it clear this was an anniversary selection. Maybe the bourbon barrels played a role in this? And also, it was served at a little under room temperature, so it wasn't as its maximum potential when I had it.

I tasted sour grapes, coconut and a hint of vanilla after I had my first taste. This is a great beer, and definitely added to my small palette of beers. Highly recommended.

I love my ales as much as I love my Belgians, and I have to say, this has been a good competitor on what I think is one of the best beers I've had. A great experience for me, I made a trade with my friend for this bottle. I would advise anyone who has a limited chance at getting their hands on a year aged bottle, to go for it.

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

750ml bottle from the most recent release. Poured into several sampler glasses with some friends. The brew appears a hazed golden yellow with 3 fingers of white froth. A full wall of lace sticks to the glass.

The smell initially opens with hints of sulfur and some tangy alcohol inclusion before giving way to spices like clove and orange zest. There is minor oak inclusion that comes out in the back when it warms up.

The taste is herbal with a mixture of dry oaky quality, clove and some other yeasty spice aspects. Herbal hop flavoring runs throughout with significantly more barrel presence than the aroma led on. The aftertaste includes oak, vanilla, herbal hops and lots of tangy alcohol.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. A decent sipper that seems like something is going on with it. Not really what I expected for a barrel aged wheatwine but wasnt horrible either.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange with a big fizzy white head. Fades decently slowly, leaving halfway decent trails of lacing on the glass.

S: Lots of wheat, lemon, orange and pineapple. Smells like a cross between a wheatwine and a BSPA. Hoppy fruit aromas mixed with a solid wheat base. Hints of oak. No real bourbon aroma noted other than that.

T: Up front I get a bunch of bourbon. Toffee, caramel and oak mainly. Fades into a wheaty malt base with hints of orange, lemon and again, pineapple to finish it off. I get some black pepper in the aftertaste too. Kind of a peculiar combination.

M: Pretty heavy and thick. Smooth.

O: My first bourbon-barrel wheatwine. It's not too bad, I feel like the bourbon doesn't really work with the wheatwine though. Just not complimentary flavors. It's decent enough and drinkable and unique but it really didn't suit my style.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Split a 750ml poured into a duvel glass.

A : pours a murky slightly brown yellow.... Reminds me of pear juice... With a finger and a half of whit frothy head that disapates nicley leaving some lacing.... A nice looking beer.

S: citrus notes of pinneapple and pear, a yeastyness in there as well smells thick... And again reminds me of pear juice.... As the need warms I start to detect notes of toasty vanilla/caramel.
The barrel component of this beer blends n very subtly with the body of the brew....

T: the wheat becomes apparent here, as well as yeast... Bannana and Clove over a sweet backbone, wheat and grain, the barrel flavors are more present in the taste as well, but again not overwhelimg and not seeing to add any heat, I get toasty caramel, sweet vanilla a oak notes, that make te finish of this beer really stand out to me.... It has its moment both ways flavor wise.

M: medium bodies with high crisp carbonation, I wish that was toned down a bit here, has a fluffy mouthfeel that ends crisp and leaves you with caramel and vanilla bourbon oak notes that linger for a moment afterward
O: I really tried to get into this one, the bruery is one of my favs especially when it comes to sours and over the top extreme IMp stouts aged in barrels.... However the yeast flavors and the high carbonation kinda ruined it for me.... Maybe I'm a year or so when the whole thing mellows out the barrel character will shine more and the yeast and carbonation might calm down a bit.

White Oak from The Bruery