White Oak - The Bruery

White OakWhite Oak

The Bruery visit their website

Wheatwine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: OlieIPA on 07-12-2009

White Oak is a blended beer-- 50% wheatwine aged in Bourbon barrels (we call it "White Oak Sap"), and 50% Mischief (our Golden Strong Ale). Vivid caramel, coconut and vanilla flavors blanketed in a crisp yet robust wheat ale, White Oak is an exercise of balance.
4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

4.23/5  rDev +9.3%

A - a very golden yellow beer that pours out with a mildly off white/fluffy white head. I had lots of foam on my pour. I blame it on bottle conditioning and not technique. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

S - LOTS of oak and bourbon in the smell. Wheat comes through shortly after, but dominated my oak and bourbon.

T - I've had this a few times now and I can best describe it as a handful of wheat tossed into a bourbon vat. Oak meets you up front, wheat and bourbon in the middle with more wheat on the finish. Warming bourbon and the 11.5% lingers a bit but the ABV is never really knocking you out.

M - medium bodied, more carbonation that I expected the first time I tried it, but with this style of beer the extra carbonation really helps to keep it from feeling too starchy.

O - The first wheat wine I've ever had, and really an enjoyable one. One of the easiest drinking high abv beers I've had. Bourbon goodness in a lighter colored beer.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

The beer is golden colored with a thick, towering white head. The liquid is just a tad hazy and is teeming with effervesence. The head displays lasting retention and leaves ample lacing in it's wake.

The aroma offers a light touch of bourbon, bold oak character, citrus and yeast akin to a Belgian tripel.

The flavor is dominated by oak. Additional aspects include a touch of booze heat, yeast, citrus. The finish brings grain and wheat. Some vanilla character comes though more as the beer is allowed to warm.

Light bodied given the 11.5% abv. Moderate carbonation. Complex and very drinkable.

I am not normally a fan of wheatwines, but I am really enjoying this one. By far the best example of the style I have had.

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

This was the beer that I was able to add to the little tasting shindig that Pete put together. Review is from notes taken on 6/10/2012 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a cloudy coppery color; starts with a huge billowy off-white head; tons of cloudiness in the body; lots of lacing hanging on the sides of the glass, and ultimately summed up in the firm cap resting at the top.

Taste: Tons and tons of mulch wheat, but I have to be honest, the smell of this beer is more reminiscent of whole leaf, moist and sticky tobacco with plant of raisin and fig blending; there is a nice vanilla and oaky sweetness with a bit of the astringency that also comes from the oak adde two more levels of complexity to this already hearty beer and it's big booziness. I'm really please that this was crack with friends, because I feel that if I tried to nurse one of these to myself, it would have ended poorly. A great beer that would be a great dessert beer with nothing else needing to hold up any end or obligation.

Mouthfeel: Body was of medium weight; very warm and boozy; carbonation was rather sot and smooth -- avoided being sharp the entire time.

Overall: This is a sweet beer with a lot going on, and that big ABV would throw your thoughts straight to the hopper if you drink too much and try to think about it. Moderation is certainly key with this bad boy, but I'll say i again, The Bruery has certainly come though.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

I had received a 2011 version from one of my close friends who had aged it for a little under a year. It aged well in a wonderful environment for aging.

I poured from the bottle into a chalice and there was about a half inch thick head that wasn't too creamy, but faded fairly quick. It had a golden/darker yellow color to it.

When I saw the title, "white oak" I imediately thought, white wine. There wasn't too much of an alcoholic taste to it, but it definitely had a zap on my tongue on the swallow. The mouthfeel made my mouth feel a little stingy, but not in a bad way. It made it clear this was an anniversary selection. Maybe the bourbon barrels played a role in this? And also, it was served at a little under room temperature, so it wasn't as its maximum potential when I had it.

I tasted sour grapes, coconut and a hint of vanilla after I had my first taste. This is a great beer, and definitely added to my small palette of beers. Highly recommended.

I love my ales as much as I love my Belgians, and I have to say, this has been a good competitor on what I think is one of the best beers I've had. A great experience for me, I made a trade with my friend for this bottle. I would advise anyone who has a limited chance at getting their hands on a year aged bottle, to go for it.

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

750ml bottle from the most recent release. Poured into several sampler glasses with some friends. The brew appears a hazed golden yellow with 3 fingers of white froth. A full wall of lace sticks to the glass.

The smell initially opens with hints of sulfur and some tangy alcohol inclusion before giving way to spices like clove and orange zest. There is minor oak inclusion that comes out in the back when it warms up.

The taste is herbal with a mixture of dry oaky quality, clove and some other yeasty spice aspects. Herbal hop flavoring runs throughout with significantly more barrel presence than the aroma led on. The aftertaste includes oak, vanilla, herbal hops and lots of tangy alcohol.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. A decent sipper that seems like something is going on with it. Not really what I expected for a barrel aged wheatwine but wasnt horrible either.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange with a big fizzy white head. Fades decently slowly, leaving halfway decent trails of lacing on the glass.

S: Lots of wheat, lemon, orange and pineapple. Smells like a cross between a wheatwine and a BSPA. Hoppy fruit aromas mixed with a solid wheat base. Hints of oak. No real bourbon aroma noted other than that.

T: Up front I get a bunch of bourbon. Toffee, caramel and oak mainly. Fades into a wheaty malt base with hints of orange, lemon and again, pineapple to finish it off. I get some black pepper in the aftertaste too. Kind of a peculiar combination.

M: Pretty heavy and thick. Smooth.

O: My first bourbon-barrel wheatwine. It's not too bad, I feel like the bourbon doesn't really work with the wheatwine though. Just not complimentary flavors. It's decent enough and drinkable and unique but it really didn't suit my style.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Split a 750ml poured into a duvel glass.

A : pours a murky slightly brown yellow.... Reminds me of pear juice... With a finger and a half of whit frothy head that disapates nicley leaving some lacing.... A nice looking beer.

S: citrus notes of pinneapple and pear, a yeastyness in there as well smells thick... And again reminds me of pear juice.... As the need warms I start to detect notes of toasty vanilla/caramel.
The barrel component of this beer blends n very subtly with the body of the brew....

T: the wheat becomes apparent here, as well as yeast... Bannana and Clove over a sweet backbone, wheat and grain, the barrel flavors are more present in the taste as well, but again not overwhelimg and not seeing to add any heat, I get toasty caramel, sweet vanilla a oak notes, that make te finish of this beer really stand out to me.... It has its moment both ways flavor wise.

M: medium bodies with high crisp carbonation, I wish that was toned down a bit here, has a fluffy mouthfeel that ends crisp and leaves you with caramel and vanilla bourbon oak notes that linger for a moment afterward
O: I really tried to get into this one, the bruery is one of my favs especially when it comes to sours and over the top extreme IMp stouts aged in barrels.... However the yeast flavors and the high carbonation kinda ruined it for me.... Maybe I'm a year or so when the whole thing mellows out the barrel character will shine more and the yeast and carbonation might calm down a bit.

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

2012 vintage poured from a 750ml bottle. It poured cloudy orange in color with a thick, foamy, white head to it.

The aroma shows a lot of the sweeter, bready, wheat malts mixing with some herbal yeast spices. It's a little peppery and earthy with some noticeable crisp fruits to it as well.

The taste has some nice wheat malt flavors to it up front. The finish is where more of the earthy, herbal spices come out. It's got some oak to the finish, but it's also a little hot. I liked the wheat malts to it but spices and alcohol that showed through were a little overdone.

Mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being high.
Overall it was a decent beer, but not one that really stands out. It felt over carbonated, over spiced, and lacked much barrel presence for being partially barrel aged.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured into a tulip.

Deep gold, the color of a brick. Slightly hazy, topped with two full fingers of off-white foam. The first pour’s a little clear and looks somewhat thin; lets see what the rest of the bottle holds. Second pour is a cloudy apricot, packed with yeast. Mmm.

Interesting; an almost Belgian aroma. Bright pears, wheat and apple play off vinous oak, caramel, vanilla, just a little bourbon and a touch of tanginess.

A little solvent; too much alcohol in the flavor. Pear, oak and whiskey play off one another before a tangy, buttery finish.

The medium-light body is pillow-soft, cushioned with wheat. Carbonation is very gentle, massaging the tongue lightly. Alcohol is the big guy, numbing the tongue and giving me heartburn.

Gotta admit I’m a little let down by this one. Wheatwines are good; barrel-aged wheatwines even better. But White Oak is just too solvent and lacks the creamy body I expect from the style. Too bad.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Hazy burnt orange with volcanic, duvel-like carbonation. Bone wine head, very nice looking beer.

S: Overripe bananas, pears, some chardonnay, some phenolic spiciness - all bathed in lots of booze.

T: Echoes the kind of dank fruitiness of the nose with a long oaky vanilla finish. The booze is a little overwhelming, I'm glad I have another of these to age for a while.

M: Big carbonation, surprisingly light for a beer of this strength.

An enjoyable beer, but the booze really dominates at times. Once it cools off I think this will improve greatly.

From 750mL bottle to Portsmouth glass on 5/24/12
*From notes

-- Thanks for crackin' this one, Billiam --

A: Cloudy, murky Saison yellow. A good pour yields a white and loost 1.25 finger head that fades to a meager bubbly collar and no lacing. Meh.

S: Sage, mint, herbs. Not a lot of booze, yet this is lacking a significant amount of oomph. I mean why does a damn Wheatwine smell like an herb garden? Where's the bourbon? 50% is aged in bourbon barrels, yet I would've never known had the label not told me.

T: Wheat, booze, an imperial amount of clove and some overripe banana. There's a real Belgian quality to that just doesn't mesh well with the base beer. Again, no bourbon to speak of. Kind of a mess, to be honest.

M: What am I drinking? This feels like a bubbly summer session lager or Pale Wheat Ale. Where's the viscosity? Where's the body and complexity? This seems to be a running theme with the current batches of the Bruery's specialty suds: thin and underwhelming.

O: What a train wreck of a beer. This isn't anywhere close to good. It feels lazy and uninspired, and it disappoints in most every facet. Do your palate a favor and introduce Mr. White Oak to Ms. Drain, pronto.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Much thanks to DmanGTR for this bottle.

A: This guy pours like champagne, it has a head very similar and consistency and size, practically shooting out of the glass. Once the head settles down it is like yellow, and slightly hazy.

S: First off there is a tart note, with notes of lemon zest. The tart note is followed by a syrup note that progresses into vanilla, oak, maple, and a touch of orange peel. Quite an interesting beer.

T: The tarness that I picked up in the smell comes through a in the flavor, but certainly isn't as aggressive as I would have imagined. Some orange and lemon peel. The bourbon character and vanilla dominate the flavor with a nice malt syrup flavor. The tartness comes back in for the finish, and balances out the sweetness from the bourbon. Definitely some booze in there..

M: Medium bodied, but with a slightly syrupy feel. The carbonation is fine in size and plentiful.

O: Overall a very interesting beer. This is one of those brews that each time you put it to your lips you taste something a little different from the last sip. Very interesting indeed.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

2012 Bottle courtesy of BrewtifulMind. Poured in to Bruery tulip.

A - Cloudy medium orange colour with a big yellow glow throughout. Two generous fingers of white head on the pour that receded to a half finger with good retention.

S - Big oak aroma up front with Belgian yeast, some cloves and light citrus notes. There is a slight sour aroma evident that is odd an unexpected but not off-putting. The Mischief seems to dominate the nose and it is difficult to pick up any wheat wine aromas.

T - Oak and bourbon up front that gives way to some grassy hop flavours and Belgian yeast. Some sweet caramel is present in the background. The flavours of the mischief dominate. Not getting the coconut at all. This is good, but not what I expected. The flavours don't seem to come together as well as they could have and the wheatwine is definitely playing the secondary role here. As the beer warms up more of the sweet bready/caramel white oak sap flavours being to show up. The oak plays such a big role here, more so than any other oak aged beer I have had. The finish is dry and contains a good mix of the oak barrel and the Belgian hopping from the Mischief.

M - Medium to full body. Light carbonation.

O - This was not what I expected but still very good. I am very interested to see what some age does to this.

White Oak from The Bruery