Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 614 | Hads: 3,308

Opened this bottle and shared it with friends. One including BA DwnTwnBwn and ebingen.

A - pours a viscious thick black. As I poured it into my tulip, the oily slick beer grabs the inside of the glass as it pours in. A nice inch of tan bubbly head stays at the top. Not much lacing, but the beer leaves a constant thin head at top.

S - chocolate, bourbon, sweet molases. All those flavors and more come in the nose. So much going on. Another wiff hints of coffee ad licorice. Amazing.

T - wow. So much going on in this beer. First taste hits with brown sugar. After that comes slight coffee. Then, the hint of dark melted chocolate blasts it's way in and is followed by the taste of ripe cherries. Damn, the flavor profile contues to develop as it warms. Bourbon now, slight vanilla, a pleasing bourbon burn pleasantly coats your throat at warmer serving temperature. This beer is a slice of heaven in a glass. What you expect in such a strong, viscous complex stout is here.

M - perfectly carbonated. This beer is thick, chewy, and sharp. The beer fills up your mouth, and the flavor explodes with the sticky beer hitting every flavor receptor. Perfect.

D - for a 19.5% abv beer, the drinkability is threw the roof. So damn drinkable. Every sip males me want more. Can't get enough.

O - wow, even better than the first time I had this beer. So good. Something everybody should try. (1,389 characters)

Enjoyed a 2010 at Darkness Days this year.

Pours a black, toasted marshmallow head- amazing laces in the glass. The aroma is pure bourbon. It is incredible how the bourbon aroma held up. Dark Chocolate, Toffee, Caramel, and Blackberry also present in the nose. Taste reveals a medium-body stout. Matches the nose perfect- bourbon forward, with nice dessert hints as it warms. NO WAY is this 20% ABV. Hides it perfect. I think that BT is great fresh, or with 2-5 years of ago- something we happens during that ~1 year mark- but before and after that it is sublime. If you can snag this vintage, do.

Cheers! (618 characters)

Tasted alongside 2012 and 2014 dark lord, 2011 abyss, BCBVR, BCBCS, Kelso Bierkraft Anniversary imperial stout, FW velvet mirken and 2013-14 BCBS. This was the best beer of the night. (183 characters)

If my memory serves me right, there are five excuses for drinking: a house guest arriving, being thirsty at the moment, having a thirst to come in the future, the innate goodness of beer, or, really, any reason of which you can think. (thus is my liberal interpretation and translation of a Pere Sermond)

This has been outside all day, so it should be about 50° F. poured into my la fin du monde tulip glass.

What music to listen to when reviewing such an epic beer? Bach's chaccone, bvw 1004? no, too solemn. Dark side of the moon? No, I'm not getting high after all. Some Monk? No, I need to conjure grandeur, not cool. I think such a beer deserves the most epic song of them all: The Final Countdown. Yes, that will do. Now, where's that repeat button?

A - this beer is a freakin' black hole! Charon denies any light entrance into this stygian glass of ambrosia. pitch, tar, midnight, whatever you want to call it, this brew is as black as Medea's child-killing heart. the liquid itself pours at a seemingly reasonable viscosity, no the motor oil that dark lord is. the head is the perfect colour, it is a perfect medium-dark tan colour. the head is big, aforementioned, and quite light, not creamy at all. the head slowly fizzes down, begging me to fill in the gap left in the tulip; i indulge my new mistress with her request. a solid 1cm layer of foam stays on the top of the beer at all times.

S - the smell is more intense than Frank Dux fighting in the kumite. the nose hits you in the face like a ton of bricks: top notes of booze, bourbon, and oak; middle notes of molasses, prunes, burnt sugar; the base notes are of huge dark malts, roasted and excellent and a slight vinous hint. the sheer power of the oak and whiskey can be overwhelming, it's like they made a barrel out of the mighty Pelian ash itself, or out of all the grandest trees on Mt. Ida. if nothing else: it smells like i'm in an alcoholic cooper's shop. the sheer amount of booze and the need to sift through this bastion of an aroma might be a turn off for some, it might be too much for their noses, not I: I have suffered my body day and night, depriving my self of food and sleep, toughening my body to prepare for the romance of this beer (not really though). for whatever it is worth: styles aside, i can still say I prefer the nose of W.12, but that is probably because I like Belgian styles the most; this beer hold a firm grasp on second place.

T - the taste, oh the taste! I think I have a new favorite stout, yes, indeed I do! Drinking this beer is like taking a bite out of barrel, but one made of deliciousness. That wasn't very descriptive now was it? Let's try that again: if you could encapsulate the experience of getting a bj while holding in one hand my Svend Bang tiger stripe pipe with a bowl full of balkan sobranie aged since the 80's stripe pipe, a glass of '26 Macallan in the other hand (pick any drink you please if you dont like scotch), while having just won the world poker tour on the top turret of Schloss Neuschwanstein. Crude? yes. Accurate? I believe so. Now, onto the taste. the initial taste is a powerhouse of flavours: vanilla, bourbon, oak, malts, fermenting fruits, and some some maple syrup. the alcohol (which I find hard to believe is so high) really does a number on the palate, and I love every second of its burning fury. the finish burns like Troy in the hands of the Danaans. the finish too is hugely boozy, burning, savory with a big molasses aspect and slightly sweet like prunes. a fitting finish for such a beer. the brew doesn't expand in taste like some others, it stays pretty much the same in the taste, the only thing changing is the alcohol, which is what I wanted: the booze in the initial is generally burning (if you hold it in your moth for long enough), but in the finish, pending on how long you kept it in your mouth, can be burning or an amazing dry fruity experience. Some coffee like flavours come out as well in this finish, particularly in the acidic bitter way that coffee tends to finish. the aftertaste is completely different; true it still is a large part of oak and booze, there is a definite chocolate, coffee, caramel/brown burnt sugar aspect that jumps out. having such dynamism in a beer is what makes the few and the proud full score brews.

MF&D - the carbonation is a bit low on this guy, but I find it enough for something with so much flavour and booze. the lack of carbonation is justified when one realizes the body isn't like a motor oil, it is thiner, and thus to get that syrupy feel some absence of carbonation is required. drinkablility? oh man, for a beer with 19.5% abv this brew is like drinking silk. the booze never chokes me up, never makes me gag, it goes down with its lovely burning and thats the end of that. it is a masterful piece of brewing and I wish that I could have regular access to such a prize of a beer. (4,903 characters)

2011 vintage bottle enjoyed over New Year's Eve with some of my best friends.

I have very little to say about this beer, other than to note that it is like nothing else I have tried. It's an RIS turned into dessert wine or port. The mouthfeel is unparalleled, there are huge gobs of coconut, char, and chocolate. It's a perfect sipper, without noticeable heat, which is shocking at its ABV. Given how great it is this young, I can't wait to find out what it tastes like in years to come.

In thinking about the difference between this and a great RIS like Dark Lord, it strikes me that I would love for someone to figure out how to make a great RIS that was constantly available and very affordable. For Black Tuesday, on the other hand, I can't imagine having it more than once every four months or so, regardless of what it cost. Truly memorable, andI'm glad I had the opportunity. (885 characters)

Have had bottled and on tap. Seams like there's more flavor when served from a bottle.

A. Real thick black with a small dark brown head.

S. Strong bourbon, chocolate, and coffee.

T. Flavor packs a punch and lingers wonderfully after being drank. The perfect amount of chocolate and coffee.

M. Goes down real smooth. Just a little more syrup than most would like but not bad.

Overall I have to say that this is the king of stouts and the only beers that stand near are the variations which furthermore prove my point. (522 characters)

Appearance: black and syrupy with a dark brown head a couple cm thick.

Smell: bourbon molasses vanilla chocolate and a slight hint of booze

Taste: chocolate bourbon and strong molasses followed by trailing notes of vanilla. this is one hell of a beer. had a fair amount of alcohol burn when it was cold, but after warming up alcohol was barely noticeable

Mouth-feel: thick and a tad bit syrupy. slight carbonation.

Drinkability: Quite amazing how well this drank for being 19.5%.

Overall: This is one hell of a beer. i felt that this beer could never live up to its hype, but i was wrong. (595 characters)

A - black. pitch dark. brown head

S - smell vanilla bourbon and coffee mainly. pleasant smell. not overwhelmingly alcoholic

T - this is the best beer i have yet to taste. rich malty taste with vanilla and dark chocolate. smooth as silk

M - thick but has a good amount of carbonation for what it is

D - it is a little strong but it goes down so smooth that its amazing that its 19.5%. plenty other IRS have a much stronger alcoholic flavor (442 characters)

One of the best BA imperial stouts out there! If you love "boozie" than this is the beer for you. I'm lucky enough to get my hands on a bottle this weeks 2014 release, sadly just one bottle, but will be looking to trade for more. Totally worth the price. (254 characters)

I am blessed to live near the Bruery. Patrick, Tyler, et al are brave brewers that have a playful, adventurous, at times a bit crazy approach to fermentations. They love exploring traditional beers, yet are far from afraid to turn them on their heads.

Black Tuesday is a true blessing handed down to the lovers of strong ales.

It drops into the glass, a dark mahogany, If you give it a swirl, you'll see the liquid leaves a slight kiss of what looks like cocoa butter on the side of the glass before it rejoins the drink.

The nose is beautiful. Your first inhale gives you a hint of what is to come. Now inspired, you give it another, deeper sniff. Hints of chocolate, maybe toffee, bourbon, and...Black Tuesday is so complex, you can continue smelling but...

I have yet to taste another liquid that I have enjoyed more than Black Tuesday. My first time was an epiphany. And now 2 years later I long for it for months waiting for its release. It has a warming delivery of chocolate, bourbon, at times i get a hint of toffee--maybe caramel. It is a truly beautiful drink.
Cheers to the folks at the Bruery! (1,110 characters)

Fantastic stout. One of the most surprising aspects of this beer is that despite the high alcohol content, it is not overly boozy. It has a nice smell and is really smooth. One of the best stouts I have had. (210 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +12.1%

Outta freekin site this is good. Has replaced Berserker as " best ever".

Viscous, strong, sugary, fresh bourbon, aged bourbon, and bourbony hints of bourbon. mouthfeel still has active carbonation.

Vintage 2012.

In the category of thick, heavy, no holds barred RIS: this is fantastic. It is like BCBS x 1.5, eclipse x2. Wow. (332 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

19.5%. It is absurd how delicious and drinkable this beer was considering its beastly nature. For such a booze bomb, I was left with a very refined taste. One of if not the best imperial stout I have ever had. I really hope the bottle holds up to the draft.

I can say that the Bruery hadn't impressed me until my trip there in which I got to try Black Tuesday, White Oak and Papier. I am a believer. (400 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

Well it certainly took me long enough to find the time to crack this one open! I figured christmas night would be just the right time to split this one among the family, though I have to admit I ended up drinking half the bottle myself. Served at around fifty degrees and poured into several tasting glasses, this one was consumed on 12/25/2009.

The pour was brilliant and menacing. Rich and dark as night, no light could penetrate this one at all. Sinister looking with a huge tan head that rose up out of the depths and settled over the top with huge amounts of lacing. At this point I am scared, but I push on.

Aroma is brilliant and huge. Rich bourbon notes are immediatly felt. Just larger then life from the get go. Huge notes of booziness, rich vanilla soaked touches, tons of chocolate and rich molasses like notes, the aroma is soo thick you could drown in it. As I take the first sip I am blown away by how big this is. Decadence is defined in this beer. It is so viscous and huge, it almost defies words. Huge flavor of rich chocolate and huge vanilla and bourbon flavors. For 19.5 percent there was no way at all to tell. Maybe 10 percent or so, but wow. Soo smooth and complex I am completely in awe of this creation.

Overall I am really left rather speechless by this. I had my hopes dampened coming into this one as people have said it was not worthy of the hype, but I beg to differ, it was worth every bit of it. This is quite simply the biggest, baddest, strongest RIS I have ever come across and it deserves its title. Still in awe of this one. (1,568 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

Black Tuesday, I take back all the bad things I said about you. You pour the deepest black with a charcoal head that crowns you for ages, clinging to the sides of my tulip, coating my glass in alcohol as I tilt it. You smell of chocolate covered cherries, sherry, sizzling burnt brown sugar, the aroma touching my nostrils like a solid. You taste of Zeus's nectar, candied cherries, port wine filled Belgian chocolate, tingling umami and a finish of the finest sherry. Your alcohol touches me, causing exaltation, erotic in sensation yet questioning in just how smooth you are. You animal. You chewy, oily, full bodied beast. You coat my palate and touch my throat nearly erotically in your thickness. You satisfy me. You touch my lips, my tongue, my throat, and my soul; your drinkability is spiritual. Your flavor is robust and gorgeous, you defy expectations for the umpteenth time. I love you. (897 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

I have had this on tap at The Bruery four times now.

IMO, this is World Wide Stout meets the bourbon barrel.

no shock to anyone, this pours black, with lots of bourbon, vanilla, brown sugar and other flavors. It's complex, tasty, and basically great. The smooth chocolatey flavors of the stout are complemented wonderfully by the vanilla/oaky bourbon barrel notes. This is an extremely well crafted beer. (407 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

Apperearance: black w/ slight dark brown head

Smell: bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, brown sugar.

Taste: chocolate, port, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, brown sugar, caramel, and a malty finish. Complex, balanced, drinkable.

Mouth: Very thick and flavorful all the way down. Not much alcohol taste or burn at all amazingly. Can't believe that this beer is this strong and you can't tell.

Overall: It's the best IS I've ever had. I'm shocked by the abv and it is way more drinkable than any other beer or wine of this strength I've had. More drinkable than many beers of half this strength, perfect score for drinkability.

Serving type: on-tap at the Bruery release (663 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

2012 from the most recent release! I shared this with a few of my family members to finish off the NFL season! GO BEARS!

A: Black, motor oil like! I don't think that bourbon barrel aged stouts get much darker!

Smell: sweet bourbon is all I can smell, which is my favorite!!!

taste; Very Very sweet, vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, dark malts aka DELICiOUS!!!

mouthfeel: perfect body on it for the style!

Overall: Okay this is my favorite part. This beer is absolutely fantastic. This beer is 19.2% and you can't taste an ounce of alcohol! no burn!!!! It is very sweet and a complete treat for anyone that enjoys this style.

Get your hands on this, definitely worth the hype! drink it slowly and at 45 degrees (DONT MESS WITH SERVING TEMP) and don't drink it by yourself unless you want to blackout in 40 minutes.

CHEERS! (826 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

The 09 BT. Too bad the Larse is a mandate J. Split this one with R Moe Nay and Zapps to celebrate Festivus on 12/23/2011. We were all at 100 percent.

Poured into snifters. This stout is the Big Bad Wolf. This is the stout the Boogie Monster checks his closet for. Dark as the Larse's soul. Tan almost brown head. We can see that we are in for a real treat.

Aroma is more potent than a Larse burp. Bourbon at the front. Alcohol, vanilla, molasses, chocolate, prunes. The only thing I rather smell than this beer is Christina Ricci.

We all sat around R Moe Nay's basement scared to even sip this beast. I dared take the first dive. 19.5 percent ABV... I knew this was going to be a bad MF. This is the sam adams utopias of stouts. It took me 10 sips to even have an idea what was going on. All the aromas were present in the taste. None outweighing the other all playing their clearly defined roles. Damn, this IS a tasty stout. BA Yeti, KTG, 09 BT... right there with all the top contenders.

The mouthfeel is ridiculous. I cannot believe this is 19.5 percent. It tastes around 8 percent. The malts all work together in harmony to make this the most complex rich creamy stout I have ever had.

I had a 2011 Brooklyn black ops after this bad boy courtesy of R Moe Nay... It tasted like poland springs compared to the BT. I seriously thought he emptied the Black ops out and filled it with Guiness. This is one of those once in a lifetime beers that makes memories. Killer. (1,476 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

Just wow! Neorunner you sent me probably one of the best beers I have ever received trading directly or BIF. I am just blown away by your generous blinded beer. You have humbled me. The bottle is marked share x2. The bottle has a thin black wax wrap.

This beer was shared between 4 people. It was a very fitting and worthy beer for the occasion. The beer was split 4 ways and served in tulip glasses.

A - 4.5 The body of the beer is black and totally impenetrable by light. I could almost mistake this for 40 weight oil. The head was the coloration of nugget from a 3 Muskateers candy bar. The head resolved to a thin ring of foam. No lacing noted on the glass.

S - 5.0 The aroma of bourbon rises out of the bottle when cracked at arms length. At this point if you don't love bourbon its time to walk away. Lucky for me my companions love the bourbon! The aroma is very similar to making good bourbon balls. Cocoa, brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate cake covered in bourbon, a lot of bourbon booze present but not a problem. Someone has masterfully used a bourbon barrel to great effect!

T - 5.0 A brilliant use of a bourbon barrel. Bourbon soaked chocolate cake, figs, dates, raisins, vanilla. Very sweet and darkly roasted malt notes. The alcohol is used as a foil to keep the sweetness in check. Absolutely no harshness noted to the flavor. This only gets better as the beer warms up.

M / D - 5.0 / 5.0 This is a perfectly viscous and thick beer. Very very full bodied. Makes me feel like Mix-Alot. My anaconda dont want none unless you got buns. Baby got Back! This is a perfect beer drinking experience. Literally everything I hope for in a barrel aged RIS. My beer buzz tells me this is 15% +. The actual drinking experience feels about 10 - 12 %.

I mentioned I was blown away by this generous beer offering. Thank you Nate - Neorunner! The rest of the package could be crazy eds barrel aged chili beer and cask Colt .45 I would be completely satisfied.

The reveal: Bruery Black Tuesday. Dude you are a maniac! (2,025 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

20 malt batch consumed on 08/01/2009 on tap at The Bruery. I toyed with the idea of driving up here to try this on draft, and the only thing that was stopping me was the fact that I already had a couple bottles reserved. With each new review of the beer that I read, the urge to head north grew stronger, and finally I found myself on the 5 North last Saturday riding for victory (more bottles and a draft sample).

The liquid is black in my snifter, as any good Imperial Stout should be. The toffee head is mountainous, and it leaves behind thick legs on the sides which are quickly reanimated by a swirl of the glass. The retention is excellent, finally choosing to settle into a lingering froth of various shades of brown. Great looking beer.

The aroma is magnificent. The dark fruit component is made up of grapes, dark cherries, and plums. Blackstrap molasses is present. The 19% is not at all represented in the nose. You could tell me the ABV of this beer is 7% and I'd believe you (If I hadn't already seen the legs). Notes of brown sugar accompany vanilla, oak, and rich toffee sweetness. Dark chocolate is noticeable, and the bourbon is very well integrated into the aroma. It doesn't overpower and it doesn't take center stage. The candied sugar is excellent, but it's the maple that really stands out for me.

The flavor is rich chocolate and toffee with bourbon and oak. The sweetness is sugary but nowhere near cloying. It's made up of maple, which tastes wonderful, and candied, which is also fantastic. I commented on the well integrated bourbon in the aroma, and that trend continues in the flavor. I really love bourbon dominated beers, but there's so much going in Black Tuesday that balance is key, and any overshadowing flavor would be to its detriment. The dark fruit complexity is made up of plums, dark cherries, and grapes. Blackstrap molasses is present, and once again the alcohol hints at an ABV much lower than 19.5%. I honestly can't believe it. The only evidence of such an ABV is in the warming finish and the body that is evident in the legs in the appearance. The alcohol is masterfully hidden. The finish exhibits alcohol warming, with lingering toffee, bourbon, and maple sugar.

The beer is full bodied with a nice medium level of draft carbonation. I really hope this carbonation level carries through to the bottles. The mouthfeel is creamy, silky, chewy, and at times it is sticky.

All aboard. This is one of the best Imperial Stouts around and you'll just have to deal with it. Black Tuesday is a paragon. (2,548 characters)

Apperearance: black w/brown head

Smell: rich bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, sweet brown sugar.

Taste: malt, coffee, chocolate, toastiness. plum/prune, port, bourbon, vanilla, oakiness, brown sugar and caramel. Complex, balanced, drinkable.

Overall: The best IS I've ever had. Since it's my favorite style that makes it my favorite beer I've ever had.
I'm shocked by the abv. Way more drinkable than any other beer of this strength I've had, and more drinkable than many beers of half this strength, which is why I awarded a perfect score for drinkability.
I've had KBS, BS, BCS, peche mortel, speedway, stone RIS, and this beats them all.
I have not had darkness, dark lord, or DFH WWS, so cannot compare, but have 2 out of 3 in the cellar so will note on comparisons when I pop them. (886 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

had ourselves a beer friends road trip from petaluma to placentia to pick 3 bottles up. just had one last night poured into a bruery glass

-dark as beer can get. smallish mocha head that stuck around for the most part but not as much as hoped. basically it looked like it should, but not totally perfect

-bunch of bourbon on the 1st smell. then a bunch of dark chocolate really starts to open up throughout

-dark chocolate and the bourbon are the most glaring. after that i just wrote down words instead of sentences cuz there was so much going on...sweet, port, tobacco, dessert, cigars, dark fruits

-very warming, yet not much of an alcohol bite. always amazing from cold to warm

-despite all the hype, miles driven, money spent, long wait...would have to say this is the best beer i have ever had (804 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.7%

This is possibly the best beer that I have had in my life, especially stout-wise. There is a ton going on in it, more than my palate can properly identify or process.

Great dark pour with some swirling head into a wonderfully dark mess in my glass.

Even the smell has hints of vanilla, bourbon, and strong other flavors. It's super involved, and I can't pick everything out.

The taste is just as much going on in the beer as the smell, if not more. I get vanilla, bourbon, caramel, a little roasty, and just a great balance of a ton of flavors. This beer is super-complex and super alcoholy, but quite delicious. (616 characters)

750 ML into a tulip/ Consumed on 10-28-09

Review #200!

P: Completely light-rejecting with barely a few stray bubbles on top, even after an extremely vigorous pour. All that was left was a micro-thin halo on top and some dark brown stains on the side of the glass. After a vigorous swirl, however, I was able to conjure up a 1/2 inch soapy head of dark cappuccino-colored foam. I was really hoping to see a big dollop of foam on top of this beast, but at 19.5% I guess it's understandable. The score reflects my slight disappointment in this department, though.

A: This is, undoubtedly, the best aroma from a RIS I've come across yet! The bourbon isn't at all boozy and messy like some of the other barrel-aged stouts out there. Instead, it's really refined and well-integrated into the rest of the profile of the nose. Other aromas bursting from the glass include: deeply roasted malts, chocolate fudge, maple, wood, vanilla, and dark fruits. Awesome!

T: The first sip reveals an impossibly deep roasted malt bill that just envelops you in its flavor. Oozing from all 20 of the malts supposedly present here is chocolate fudge cake, vanilla, caramel, molasses, leather, maple wood, and of course, bourbon. Much more dark fruits are in here than I expected to find that remind me of dates, figs, and black cherries that add yet more complexity. Once again, the bourbon isn't alcoholic and messy on the palate, but it does warm the back of the throat, chest, and belly with each and every swallow. Finishes sweet and leaves a sweet aftertaste that hangs on for an eternity. If this ain't a 5, I don't know what is.

M: The term "full-bodied" just doesn't do it justice. Black Tuesday is incredibly thick, glassy smooth, perfectly creamy, and absolutely chewy as hell. There is no liquid that has ever passed my lips that even comes close to feeling this incredibly viscous and oily.

Notes: After standing in line for 4 1/2 hours in a dark, cold, wind-swept alley to obtain this beer, I became increasingly skeptical if the beer could ever live to all the hype. As hard as I tried to find a chink in the Black Tuesday armor, the only thing I could come up with was the lack of head after the initial pour. Smells incredible, tastes phenomenal, and makes Goose Island Bourbon County Stout feel like a porter! As for its drinkability, the 19.5% is hidden so damn well that drinking an entire bottle is not nearly as cumbersome as it might sound in theory. No doubt it's a sipper to be reckoned with, but it went down much more easily than I thought it would. Two thumbs way up! (2,579 characters)

Black Tuesday from The Bruery