Join our email list →

2014: 19.7% ABV
2015: 19.9% ABV
Reviews: 644 | Hads: 3,527
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally cracked open a bottle to share with a friend last night. Too bad this isn't easier to get a hold of.
A: Pitch black and thick. Nice head retention with the brown frothy head.
S: This is really the highlight of this beer. If you like beers like Firestone Walker 12 or SA Utopias, this beer will be a treat. The aroma is full of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, fig, and molasses.
T: Not quite as good as the aroma, but still impressive. I read a review where someone mentioned chocolate cake, and that is exactly what I got. There is also a strong bourbon presence here as well.
M: Thick and sweet. Covers the tongue.
D: A bit too boozy and sweet to easily drink a ton. Still a great beer. Damn did it hit me hard after a full glass. I would drink this 6oz at a time.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This review is for the 2010 version.

After opening the bottle, it gushed slowly over the top and onto the counter top, eventually falling to the sheet vinyl flooring below. This was not expected, as the bottle's owner was away rinsing out his Hopmonk snifter, readying it for a splash of Black Tuesday to celebrate the New Year. After cleaning up the mess, a healthy pour was allocated to both the bottle's owner and compadre.

The beer sitting in front of me mirrored the night sky and seemed to reflect the chasm of the atmosphere overhead. It looked both still and alive in the same instance and seemed indifferent to the cold evening air.

In order to wash away the dinner smell of braised short ribs, I buried my nose in the glass. A wave of bourbon alcohol, warm fudge and mocha from Pete's coffee house greeted me. Another sniff revealed strong vanilla extract, spices, cinnamon and more bourbon. This is something that one could dive into and swim around for awhile, and a few laps are necessary.

A quick swig immediately made me aware of the high alcohol content and that 18.5% wasn't something that is quickly imbibed, but savored over an evening, which it was. Further sips revealed sherry, port, chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, bourbon, a sweet brewers concoction of malt and sugar, all spice and a similar flavoring that reminded me of Melange 3, or vice versa as this was a component in that blend.

There was a cold front moving through the peninsula and a thick, wool blanket was needed to stay warm. The beer served as a secondary heater, heavy and viscous, helping to keep the cold night air at bay as it infiltrated the old single-pane windows. The minimal carbonation was appropriate for a beer of this style and seemed in tune with the Victorians that line the streets here in San Francisco, old but still relevant, almost flat but not quite yet.

I think that 2011 will be a good year. And for a year that starts out with a glass of Black Tuesday, it has already eclipsed the previous year.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

750ml bottle from 2012, about 6oz poured into a snifter at Dustin's birthday tasting yesterday, 6.15.2013.

Aroma: Lots of bourbon and heat, which dominates the nose. But there are marshmallows and tons of chocolate, very sweet. It basically smelled like bourbon smores. Interesting! I thought the heat was really off-putting, but altogether this beer has a really, sweet and complex nose.

Colour: Pitch black, like a black hole. Not much of a head at all, which is not surprising for a high gravity beer like this. There isn't even a collar, and there isn't any lacing at all when I swirl it around. Its black, that's all I can expect from a beer called Black Tuesday.

Flavour: Really, really sweet. Like mentioned before, it tastes like a crap ton of chocolate, bourbon and a little vanilla sweetness. There's a lot going on here, but the best way to put it is hot, hot bourbon smores. It all comes together well, not all that cloying. Deliciously bourbony and malty!

Mouthfeel: Thinner bodied but full of flavour. Actually quite well carbonated for a giant stout like this. Aftertaste is mostly all the malty sweetness that I experienced while swishing this beer along my palate. Its pretty much dessert. Really, the biggest problem with this beer is that it's so damn boozy. I know its a 19.2% beer, but it was just a beer that took a long time to finish. Still, so black and thick... gotta say this is a hell of a mouthfeel.

Overall: Delicious. It's like drinking bourbon and port together. Thick thick beer that is very sweet but not cloyingly so. As mentioned above, the problem is that its got too much alcohol in it- I can smell it in the nose immediately as its being poured, and it definitely gets hotter as it gets warmer. I think its a deliciously sweet barrel-aged big stout but for the $36 it costs per bottle, I'll take 6 bottles of BCBS. It's not a very good value IMO (which does not detract from the overall scoring in this review), but I'm glad to have at least tried it.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to T Dizzle for opening this with me. I had this a few times on tap but this is my first from the bottle.

A: Blacker than black can be. Very little head. Poured with a 1/4 inch dark tan head but disappeared quickly. and no lacing what so ever.

S: Smells A LOT like Goose Island Bourbon County Stout! but sweeter. You definitely get a lot of the sugars in the aroma. The alcohol is hidden very very well.

T: Bourbon hits first and then fades into a boozey, sugary, flavor-fest. Quite nice. The sweetness lingers a little too long for my taste. Again very reminicent of Goose Island BCS.

M: Feels great. Perfect amount of carbonation. Great body. Not too dry as I would expect from this high of ABV. Coats the mouth, leaving great flavor.

D: I think I could finish about 1/2 of a bottle but that would be about it. Not just cuz of the 19.5 ABV. But the sugars seem to get a little too sweet. Almost like a Liqueur. A very very tasty liqueur. Maybe not quite worth $30 a pop but still quite nice.

750ml waxed bottle into a snifter - 2011 Vintage

A: Pours a dark brown (not as black as I expected) with a small off-brown head that fades to a ring and leaves no lacing.

S: The nose is rich and decadent. There are huge notes of vanilla, chocolate, molasses, and bourbon. The booze comes out big time after it warms.

T: The taste is about the same as the nose with huge flavors of chocolate, bourbon, char, vanilla, molasses, and fudge.

M: The feel is on the fuller side of medium with a long oily finish. Booze is very apparent as it warms. It went flat about halfway through my glass which was kinda disappointing.

O: I thought this would be an all 5 beer but it didn't quite live up to that...it's still damn good. The nose and taste are almost identical to GI BCS which makes it hard to justify $30 for a 750ml when BCS is around $22 a 4pack.

Thanks to fatmcb1 for opening this bottle on NYE. Reviewed from notes.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to Khumbard for pouring this. Bottle 2010.

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black, but not quite. Not quite as thick as I was expecting, more like a strong ale, less an RIS. A thin layer of tan foam.

S: Smells sweet, with vanilla, and raisins/prunes, hint of dark chocolate and roasted malts. Booze, lots of booze.

T: Sweet and boozy. Raisins and prunes are dominate, with hints of oak, vanilla, dark chocolate nuances, but not as much as the nose would suggest.

M/D: Thinner than the style would suggest, good carbonation. Thought this would have benefited from being thicker, or maybe I just should not have expected it. The alcohol is very present, but it makes itself known after the swallow right in the middle of the chest. Very much like a whisky would. Awesome beer though.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Finally getting to this, shared with a few friends.

A- Dark brown, a little light and a little thin on the pour for a traditional stout. Black Tuesday had a decent head on it which really surprised me, good amount of noticeable carbonation.

S- I've been told that the aroma is the best part of this, and while I'm not 100% sure if I agree with that, the aroma was awesome. Instant flavors of vanilla and bourbon come through primarily, followed by some burning on the nose from the alcohol. There isn't too much booze in the aroma but you have to expect some when a beer's ABV is this high. There weren't many particular qualities of a stout that I could smell though, I didn't detect any coffee or chocolate which I was expecting. It was very sweet.

T- Incredibly smooth. If I had to guess what the ABV was I would've said it was significantly lower than 18% which is impressive to me. It tastes very sweet, but those vanilla and bourbon flavors are very present. Although it has a predominant bourbon flavor though, it isn't overpowering at all and it doesn't take away from how smooth this beer is.

M- I like a stout to be thick, and although it looked a little thin on the pour, it was actually pretty close to perfect. It coats the mouth and glass very well. Not much carbonation on this one, and I wasn't expecting it.

O- I really liked this beer, but I think I liked it the least out of everyone who tried it with me. The drinkability is exceptional and the flavors are well balanced. My palate just doesn't agree with sweet beers and this one got sweeter as it warmed up. I will definitely enjoy this again when I open the bottle I'm aging, I just couldn't have more than 1/4th of it. I will say though that this is by far the best Bruery beer I've had because thus far they haven't impressed me very much.

Next up: Chocolate Rain!

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage poured into snifters at a cold temp and allowed to warm. Very good, bit of burn and side by side with Chocolate Rain left us wanting more of both but Rain especially
A: not quite jet black, slight tinge of ruby
S: big bourbon hit, little roasted cocoa,
T: slight bourbon burn, chocolate upfront
M: not too thick but decent consistency and a nice lingering bourbon aftertaste

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750ml of the 2012 bottling, poured at a tasting (shared by sstork; thanks man!) with my portion into a Stone chalice.

A: Dark brown edges with a black body; no head.

S: Oaky vanilla, bourbon, brown sugar and toasted caramel dominate, as expected; everyone who has had this beer and its variants must know what I'm talking about. Huge sugary-sweet stout with overwhelming caramel, vanilla and brown sugar notes, and just enough roast and dark chocolate to keep it interesting. Lots of hot, boozy bourbon here as well, though for near 20% this is a pretty manageable nose.

T: Bourbon and brown sugar, plenty of caramel as well as vanilla & bourbon...milk chocolate, burnt sugar, boozy & oaky vanilla.

MF: Fuller bodied & hot, low carbonation; very oily and mouth-coating.

O: Awesome beer, very extreme but well-executed. A sipper for sure.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Shared this 3 ways so i had a very generous pour courtesy of myself as usual.First impression was thinking this tasted like a 08 Darkness on steroids.Then it seemed more like a 02 DFH World Wide Stout..This one packed a punch in a warming way. Made my ears warm. Heavy syrupy flavors of molasses and grain sugars abound throughout. So many flavors coming through it's hard to pick out at times exactly whats going on. Very good and highly drinkable and hides the 19% alc. very well but does have the warmth you would expect from such a high content. This is more like a liqueur than a beer. Would be interesting to let this one sit for a few years and try it again..I think I will with the other bottles I have! Seek one out and enjoy if your lucky enough to land one.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Ebony brew, small tan head with poor retention; not unexpected.

Super hot aroma laden with bourbon, mocha, oak, coconut...so much going on.

Flavor is even deeper and more complex. Tons of chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla, coconut...just absolutely delicious.

Incredibly smooth and thick mouthfeel. It's a hot beer, but incredibly smooth given nearly a 20% ABV.

Truly exceptional, delicious beer.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass at Smoke & Barrel DC part of bottle exchange. From notes.

Surprisingly not as dark as thought it would be. A good brown mahogonay coming out of the bottle hits with a solid dark walnut body. Very opaque and har to see through.

Nose has a huge chunk of molasses and sticky quality. Lots of sticky toffee. Thick smelling. Good sense of controlled whiskey like heat, with complimenting red fruits of cherry and raspberry. Great smelling beer, luckily not too hot on the nose.

Palate hits with a good chunk of sweet taffy. Lots of sticky peppermint and warming menthol finish. Controlled warmth with a nice warming big hit in the pit of your stomach. Lots of chocolate sensations with a thick almost syrup like body. Fruit action comes after repeated sips and some warmth, hinting of thick red fruits of cherry/raspberry feeling. Much of the molasses seem to get left behind.

Overall the flavors are nicely balanced, and even at this high abv it's still incredibly easy to drink. Very memorable beer and quite enjoyable, very well made.

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The story of Black Tuesday. When glazeman and I first started our journey into the world of BA, BT was on our radar. I remember when it was first released, the hype that followed, and how it made its way to the top of the BA top 100. I never thought I would get the chance to try this beer. When the second release (2010) gave people the opportunity to purchase BT online, we jumped at the opportunity. We each got a bottle, no thanks to the broke-ass internet connection at the Hines VA. As someone who repeatedly proclaims, "support your midwest brewers," especially in terms of big stouts, I really was hoping to dislike this beer. What can I say? It is outstanding.

The appearance is nothing too special - tiny head that quickly fades - not a whole lot else going on. The smell is outstanding - booze, dark fruit, bourbon, vanilla. The taste is even better - vanilla, dark roasts, and an awesome chocolate after taste. Mouthfeel is also out of this world - just about as thick as Dark Lord. In general, this brew is very similar to DL, but a little bit less sweet, and obviously a lot more boozy vanilla. The drinkability is high, and the outrageous ABV is not even noticeable. I wish I had more of this.

I got told by this beer. Period. I wanted to hate it, but it was amazing. My standard proclamation needs an addendum - "support your midwest breweries, but get your hands on some Black Tuesday."

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Split with JLindros poured into a Kate the Great tulip.

A - Poured a very nice dark black hue with a quarter inch tan head that left light lacing, solid.

S - Aromas of chocolate, bourbon, sweet malts heaven, so so good.

T - Taste is chocolatey, bourbon, super hot bourbon, vanilla, barrel, sweet malts, support delicious.

M - Mouthfeel is rather hot but the carbonation is spot on, very drinkable, got but not oppressive.

O - Overall I loved this beer, really awesome but super hot still. Love it but very hot.

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared this on Saturday at the SMBDC. 4-5oz poured into a tasting glass. Bottle from afksports - thanks Brendan. 2010 vintage

A: Well, it's certainly a dark beer. Very thin amount of head with the pour. Pretty average looking for a imperial stout

S: First whiff was almost straight booze. Settled down after that to reveal notes of vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and graham cracker. There is still some booze present but it gets mostly covered up by the other characters. Decadent nose

T: This is a really complex beer. Not quite as chocolately as I was expecting but this flavor does come out more as time went by. I got a wonderful blend of cherry, caramel, light roast, chocolate and some bourbon booziness. Detected a little soy sauce as well

M: Basically as full bodied as a beer can get. Not quite on the level of Kate though. Creamy, boozy chocolate finish

D: Split amoungst 8 people, the group was unamiously impressed by this beer. Certainly worthy of the praise it gets but may be a little too high on the hype scale. Trust me, I would drink this all the time if possible but it's just way too hard to get

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- thick black motor oil, small tan head.

S- big bourbon notes followed by chocolate and a hint of coffee

T- following the nose, big bourbon followed by sweetness, booze, dark chocolate.

M- sticky and thick full body

O- a interesting, not overly complex but still good

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%

Sampled at yet another outrageous tasting over at Dyan's place the other evening. Many thanks again kind sir for cracking open this beauty the other night.

BT pours a blackish brown color with very good head retention and lots of sticky lacing all around. The nose on this bad boy is quite profound, though at least initially, the alcohol was a bit too noticeable. However, that dissipated fairly quickly and I got dark chocolate, milk duds, leather, licorice, dark fruits and a hint of tobacco. Just so much going on with this beer. Flavors on the palate are even better IMHO, with the rich, sweet, chocolate, maple syrup and vanilla front and center. This is a very, very sweet beer, but I never felt as if it was too sweet and cloying on the palate. There's just so much flavor in this excellent beer, and that flavor profile is huge and intense. Mouthfeel is very rich and sweet, with a long, long finish. Carbonation is fairly low, which works well with this beer. Drinkability is the only area where I feel as if I have to deduct some points. This beer is so sweet and boozy, I cannot imagine drinking more then 4 or 5 ounces at a sitting. We split Dyan's bottle amoung 6 good size guys, and we could barely polish off the bottle. It's absolutely the sort of meal that I'd want to drink after a beer (weak joke there), and then only a splash in a nice size brandy snifter.

A couple of thoughts about this beer. This is an extremely impressive beer, one that was an absolute treat to sample. That being said, it really doesn't have any place in my life. Like the DFH WWS and 120 IPA, this is the sort of beer you can drink once in a blue moon, with no need for repeated applications. Not sure when, if ever, I'll want to try this beer again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at The Bruery 10-26-2010

A - Clear deep dark brown with a small thinly formed head, basically a ring around the glass. Little lacing.

S- Lots of bitter chocolate, vanilla, maple syrup-like notes. Bourbon and pleasant boozy alcohol.

F/M - Again, bitter chocolate, roast, vanilla, bourbon. Very nice alcohol warmth and slight alcoholic bitterness helps this beer finish very smoothly. Sweet, rich, full bodied, oily and slick. Moderately low carbonation. Lingering chocolate flavor.

D- This is such a delicious beer. Smooth and rich. Full bodied and quite filling, yet I want to drink more.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%

Very massive thank you to Richard for this bottle to be shared at our tasting.

A - Poured pitch black, no light shines through even when held up to the light. Creamy, tan head that retained as a thin cap and shortly dissipated. No lacing, but very nice considering it is 19.5%. (4.0)

S - Lots of bourbon. It dominated the aroma, although not too unbalanced. Light hints of blackberries and dark chocolate. Very malt forward. There seems to be many layers of complexity here that could have shown more colors. A touch is shown here and there. Bourbon is still quite prominent. But amazing. Like a well aged Bourbon County Stout. (4.0)

T - Wow, where to start? First off, there is a lovely rich fruitiness of an aged RIS. A touch of fig, but more so in the black currant department, molasses, and heavy roasted malts. Lots of chocolate and expresso bean. Bourbon is a huge part of the flavor but does not dominate like it does in the aroma. Fantastic balance for a huge beer, you can hardly taste any hotness from the alcohol. Finishes roasty and sweet, with much bourbon flavor. (4.5)

M - As huge of a beer it is, it is not cloyingly sweet nor is it sticky. Chewy, yes, I can nearly spread it on toast, but damn this drinks incredibly smooth. Not hot at all, just a hint of warmth after it trickles down your throat. Carbonation is very mild. It works for the huge character, just enough to bring everything together. (5.0)

D - A lovely sipper. A full bottle is a bit much at nearly 20% but split between three or four people, it can be enjoyed for hours in an evening. (4.5)

Notes - I treated this beer as any other beer to review. Honestly, I don't give a crap about how hyped up a beer is. A beer is a beer and if your tastebuds enjoy it, then great. If not, at least you gained experience. Personally, I thought this was an excellent beer, although I would have preferred slightly less bourbon in the nose. That was really the only thing that I could complain about. In terms of taste, I can definitely appreciate the subtleties of a year's worth of bourbon barrel aging. It is very much like a vintage Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. In fact, I think I enjoy the balance in GIBCS a touch more than BT. However, its velvety smoothness and lack of alcoholic hotness is what gave it its exceptional texture. Overall, I felt that this was an awesome experience. Thanks again, Richard.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2011 vintage opened at Joe & Julie's place. Served in a badass Batman Forever stein, back when McDonald's actually had cool giveaway items.

A - A nice finger of tan foam settles to a thick collar but minimal lacework. Black body with a glint of brown at the edges of the glass. Pretty impressive at 18.2%.

S - Huge bourbon barrel presence, with plenty of dry wood, whiskey, vanilla, and dark chocolate. Only mild roast and coffee flavors in the periphery. Intensely rich, with well-hidden alcohol - most people who tried this would have never guessed it was over 18%.

T - Taste is quite similar, with massive amounts of chocolate, vanilla, and lighter touch of bourbon, barrel, and caramel. Again, there's minimal roast character, resulting in this being very sweet. Still it was quite easy to drink and never became cloying.

M - Viscous and shake-like full body, with enough carbonation to get things from getting too heavy or sludge-like. Some alcohol warmth, but nothing untoward. Pretty creamy, with only mild barrel tannin presence. I expected a slightly heavier beer at 18.2%, but I appreciate that this drinks like it has an ABV in the low teens.

D - Really enjoyable stuff - the 2011 seems to be developing nicely as I thought it was a bit boozy last time I had it just before Christmas. I know there's been backlash against the hype on this beer, but it's really excellent and among the Bruery's best offerings. Just make sure you have friends on hand, as drinking more than 6oz will put you in the fast lane to incomprehensibility.

4.39/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours engine oil black with a thin, but dense creamy toffee colored head and no carbonation.

S - Light bourbon, light chocolate, dark fruit, and light oak tannin aroma.

T - Lots of bourbon flavor, oak, vanilla, dark chocolate, roasted molasses, and black anise. Very nice complexity.

M - Medium body and silky smooth.

O - Starts out hot from the alcohol, mellows as it breathes, and lets more flavor emerge.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

huge thanks to scott for opening this at our last tasting!

750ml capped and waxed bottle, 2011 vintage.

pours out pretty much opaque black, but a bit of brown is noticable on the edges. a nice creamy, dark mocha head that lasted the whole way, bit of legs and lace. i maybe was expecting motor oil considering the abv, but this wasnt at all.

big alcohol in the nose, starts off kind of smooth like a bourbon, but as this warms its almost all solvent booze. also lots of sweet maple syrup, dark fruits, raisons, burnt sugars.

intensely sweet, but i love it! burnt sugar, maple syrup, dark fruits, and a bit of roasted malt are what i pick up the most. the alcohol is definatly there, not really bourbony however, but compared to the aroma, its definatly more subdued.

big huge, syrupy, sticky, sweet mouthfeel. quite sugary in a way, high final gravity im assuming. carbonation feel right.

overall, this was definatly one of the better stouts ive had, different than most. this one focuses more on the maple, sweet, sugary flavors where most focus on the roast. the alcohol may hurt this beer a little, mainly the aroma, but that could age out nicely. cant wait to try chocolate rain!!!!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2(!) shared bottles.

Wonderful strong rich aroma with well set contribution from the BBL

Flavor, a bit more BBL but plenty of other flavors too including a strong molasses note.

Well hidden ABV - drinks like 'just' 10%. Very smooth and mild for 19.2% ABV.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was either speedwayjim or beerthursdays. Regardless, thanks to both. After three straight extremely long and rough days, this was needed. Poured into a HF snifter at 54 degrees, although I let it warm up a little before diving in. 2009 bottle, 19.5%. And another one bites the dust.

A - Pours a blackish-brown with a tan head that quickly gets down to some mild lacing. Sticks well, lacing returns upon each sift.

S - Slight tingle to the nose hair....deep raisin, fudge, bourbon barrel is more on the vanilla side. There is a decent amount of the fudge coming through.

T - Again, there is a slight amount of burn that underlies the entire flavor. Raisin, fudge, dark malts, sweet vanilla, lightest oak in the finish. After the first sip coats the tongue, any amount of heat is gone. The barrel flavor is balanced well against the sweetness, and the finish shows no dryness.

M - Thicker mouthfeel that is heavy on the tongue. The light carbonation is a little bit prickly on the tongue, but that could be the 19.5% coming through instead.

O - This is among the best BA RIS I've ever had. This year in particular, not at all the '10/'11. Maybe it is the different recipe, maybe the time in the barrel, maybe the bottles just need time. There are a lot of wonderful similarities between this and an '07 BCBS. Barrel forward, fudge is evident.

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Got this in a trade about a year back. Been waiting to try this for a while, but I think for review #400, I will pull out the big guns and open this one up. 750ml bottle, 2009 vintage...

A: Super pitch black color with no light shining through. Pours like motor oil. Thick 2 inch dark mocha colored head that fades at a decent pace. Awesome.

S: One review I remember reading on this said it smelled like a chocolate brownie. That is the first thing that hits me. It's like an intense chocolate with a bready cake scent blended in. Some raisin and cocoa in the middle with some vanilla and booziness blended in the backend. Very good.

T: This one's super hot! I get a think bourbon burn upfront with some huge chocolate malts in the middle almost like chocolate syrup with hints of raisin and a breadiness on the backend. Very thick. This almost reminds me of a chocolate martini. Very good.

M: Super thick with a heavy carbonation. A hot creamy finish. Good.

D: Drinkability is not as high as some have led to believe. Good.

All in all, this is a great beer. Super thick and hot. Very chocolaty and delicious. If you like stouts, you definitely should try this at least once. If you don't like boozy brews, then this is not for you.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery