Black Tuesday - The Bruery

2013: 18.9% ABV
2014: 19.7% ABV
Reviews: 610 | Hads: 3,282
4.34/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to stevemcqueenjr for bringing this bottle out east!!
A - Deep, deep reddish brown/black. Tan head.
S - Chocolate, some booze, Sweet dark malt, dark fruit. Super rich.
T - Some alcohol heat up front, bourbon, dark fruit and licorice.
M/F - Round and pretty thick. Active carbonation.
D - Very tasty and pretty extreme. A good bottle to share with 5 others! (363 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -2.5%

750 ml bottle shared among theoretical friends, provided by the former king of Portsmouth, rpstevens the great.

Black as night with a kuh-hakie ring o' foam round the edges. Awesome giant legs and curtains of booze sliding down the glass like a downpour on a car windshield. I wish it would rain. It's so hot.

Smells like a bunch o' powdered cocoa in a bourbon frappe. Touch of coconut. Pretty standard fare for this kind of mega-stout. Quite nice. Smell really reminds me of Angel's Share.

Taste is sweet chocolate and raisins, and hot hot hot, but pleasant hot, not like this heatwave weather I'm moored in. So sweet. It almost isn't even a stout... It's like stout liqueur. Damn tasty, though.

Mouthfeel is awesome and fluffy. It's like a chocolate cloud. It possesses an interesting duality in that it is both thick and viscous, but light and fluffy at the same time.

Drinkability is amazing for an RIS, especially one at 19.5% abv. Normally I would penalize a beer so boozy as this one, but this is so quaffable and delicious, I could drink much more than I was allotted... Cheers. (1,091 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Boy am I pissed off that this was one of the three reveiws i lost from the weekend crash. Atleast I have notes but this wont nearly be as long. Bottle courtesy of Shogokawanda

A: It was black with only mild amount of dark brown carbonation on top. Not as thick as I thought it would be but still pretty dark.

S: As soon as the bottle was cracked, I could smell milk chocolate. The bourbon was milder than I expected which was good, but there was no real roastiness in the aroma. Sweet chocolate, brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla are also there, but I prefer my stout to have some hint of roasted character

T: I wanted to hate this, i really did, but i couldnt. The first sip was amazing. It started out chocolaty then transitioned to a bit of bourbon with hints of wood coming through and then as it went down, amazing flavors of coconut and almond. Dammit why did it have to taste really good.

M: Good amount of body and definitely thick without being to thick, if that makes sense. The bourbon did add some booziness, but i found that it added to the overall experience of the beer.

D: I, as did others, sat on this one for quite some time. I couldnt even think about having one all to myself, or even half a bottle at that. It did live up to the hype and I am very happy to have had the opportunity to try it (1,318 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a deep, opaque black. Stone colored head that diminishes to a few bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Smells of heavy licorice. Some raisin. It hits you very hard right up front. A lot going on and very rich and heavy, a bit of a roasted scent. Bitter dark chocolate, cocoa smell.

Tastes sweet. A lot of dark fruit, blackberries, licorice. A lingering hazelnut aftertaste in there at the end. The alcohol is extremely masked which is an incredible surprise. As it warms, caramel and chocolate notes seem to seep through and become more prevalent.

Surprisingly smooth for the heftiness of the brew and the onslaught of smell and flavor. The carbonation has slight bite to it, but its not too bad and balanced by the malt load.

The drinkability is low due to the fact that you can't have very many of these. It's so rich and heavy in alcohol. It's quite the treat but a doozy. (886 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks Jared & Kevin for making this review possible... An appropriately sinny rapturebeer™ if ever there was one. Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip glass it pours an imposing black with blood red ruby edges that glint in the light. Slim amount of foam, tan ring around the edge, surprising there was any foam considering the abv. The glassy obsidian surface reminds me of the oily black pool at Glastonbury Grove in Twin Peaks.

Toasted marshmallows, melted milk chocolate bars, deep roasty char.

Rich and fudgy (understatement), caramel toffee, almond fudge, fried plantains, warm chocolate syrup. Mucho dry roast and bitter bakers chocolate in the aftertaste. So decadent. Impossibly dense, fudgy and chewy to the nth degree, a perfect liquid dessert. About 4 oz. is enough for one sitting, although I could certainly drink more if I forced myself. (868 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

It came on a Monday night....Black Tuesday!! Hugh thanks to the generosity of BeerFM Andy for sharing this one of a kind brew. Pours a thick midnight black a la motor oil with a two finger tan head. Sweet aroma taste which is body slammed by the hot booziness. Great tones of chocolate, vanilla, mild bourbon, and molasses.

A cage match in a glass between the sweet and the booze which can be fatiguing. Think I'll skip the next train fuel station and just pour Black Tuesday into the tank. A powerhouse of a stout. (518 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

2010 vintage. Shared yesterday by hu5om in La Crosse with a few other BAs. Served in a snifter:

A - Black with brown edges. Little head that dies to bubbly foam around the edges. Slinky lacing retention.

S - Nice bourbon, cream, chocolate and roast. Caramel and brown sugar. Candy, booze and wood.

T - Booze and candy sugar. Chocolate, roast and booze. A bit sweet and fruits, with dark fruits like plums and figs and booze. Oak and pretty hot, probably from the booze. Did I mention that this is pretty boozy?

M - Slightly smooth. Stinging sensation from the booze heat. Heavy and thick, but expected.

D - Not the easiest thing to drink. Thank God that I didn't have to drink this by myself. Although it was a pretty good beer, I think the hype train has taken this for a ride. I'm really glad I got to try it but I won't be seeking it in the future. We even mixed a bit of it with some 120 IPA to make a really extreme black and tan...it was an improvement. Thanks Ryan! (978 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

I got a pretty small pour of this one as it was split many ways at the tasting, huge thanks to the man who brought it. In all honesty, I don't know if I'd even want more than a couple ounces. The aroma is all sorts of heady, with tons of bourbon, chocolate, and sugar going on. The taste is similar with lots and lots of sweetness. Some underlying chocolate and vanilla from the bourbon. I've said it before, but never has it applied more - this one's a sipper. The first thing that came to mind for me was the similarity to bourbon county stout just from the full-on rush of sensation. The tastes are similar (although this one's a little more sweetness and chocolate and a little less outright bourbon) and since I'm a huge fan of BCS that can only be a good thing. Glad I got a chance to try this very special beer. (818 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.9%

2011 vintage. On tap at the Bruery for 2011 Black Tuesday release.

Pours very dark coffee brown, some small bubbles but basically no head. Smell is well integrated bourbon and chocolate, big aroma of dark cocoa powder, some vanilla bean, cola and mocha. Really good stuff. Taste is pretty dry bourbon, mocha/chocolate syrup, some cola, moderate alcohol (but I guess not bad given the ABV), finishing again with a hefty dose of cocoa and also a light espresso bitterness. Very light carbonation and kind of thin/Coca Cola-like body. There's a moderate amount of alcohol burn which kind of overwhelms the light body. Overall, this is a big stout with nicely integrated flavors, improved by the barrel, but lacks body and is a little hot. Still, at 18% this is drinkable enough--surely a miracle of nature.

Between this, Chocolate Rain, and S'More Tuesday, this was my least favorite. (883 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Portsmouth tulip. The pour is oil-thick, viscous and dark. There is a thin mocha head that quickly fades to nothing, leaving the most oily lacing behind I have ever seen.

The nose is an intense blast of bourbon, followed closely by undertones of caramel, vanilla and wood. There is a complimentary dark chocolate, that is rich and strong. The boozy sweetness is intense, almost burning the nostrils.

The taste follows the smell very closely, the bourbon is first and foremost, hitting the tongue and giving a strong introduction. The sweet vanilla, caramel and wood characteristics compliment the bourbon nicely. The finish is hot and boozy, with a nice strong brown sugar component. The rich dark chocolate takes on a powdery cocoa quality on the tongue. Beyond the bourbon, chocolate and vanilla notes there are hints of dark fruits, layers of figs and hints of cherries; this beer surprises at every sip. The flavor is much more approachable than I expected.

The beer is thick, viscous and "chewy" with adequate carbonation. The flavors compliment the high alcohol nicely, making this much more approachable than it should be. I couldn't enjoy an entire bottle, but for this high an abv, the beer is very drinkable. I wish there was another glass in my near future. (1,302 characters)

From notes on 1/1/12:

Bottle poured into a wine glass.

Pours black, with a bit of light seeping through giving dark brown edges. Tan head quickly retreats and leaves no form of lacing. When tilting the glass it looks a bit thinner than I previously imagined.

Bourbon barrel is very intense with lots of vanilla and charred oak. Rich chocolate, brown sugar, and dark fruit are all present.

Wow. Very sweet from the malt and chocolate. Barrel character remains very strong in the taste. The dark fruit came out much more so than in the nose. Dark cherries, fig, and plums.

Carbonation was somewhat low, which was surprising, and the body is medium.

This is one of the best barrel aged stouts I've had, and easily the most rich and intense. A quintessential sipping stout. Give yourself and another (or 3) an afternoon for this one. (838 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Newtonty hooked us up tonight!!! Okay, I'm going to be as objective as possible on this recently uber-hyped beer.

Amazing packaging adorn this one with a fine, black wax head.

From luke warm, put in a freezer 20 minutes, then removed. The initial temp during the pour was a little too cold for my tastes.

Pours in my snifter as dark as a starless night. Black with a dark cocoa head with small bubbles. Only a faint halo remains after a few minutes in my snifter. A fine topaz ring can be see around the edges of my glass.

The nose on this one is VERY big, even at the present cold temperature. Big, woody, yet sweet malts, nuances of sweet flavors like vanilla, caramel and molasses. It's like a malt extract or Caro syrup in it's thickness. I get faint cocoa, big dark chocolate fudge and black licorice, at times, as well. Very big and complex overall. Sublime...

The mouth reflects the nose on this. This is a not a beer for the mild... Even at it's current cold temperature, I can't get over the thickness (chewiness) in the mouthfull. It's like drinking an oil slick mixed with maple syrup! This beer, at times, reminds me of the blending involved with the Firestone Walker anniversary beers. Overall, I get a mix of flavors including big, sweet malts, aggressive sweetness, vanilla, chocolate, figs, black licorice and caramel. The flavors are huge and in your face the entire time. I was actually surprised how little alcohol burn there was through out, but it was present.

This beer is very complex, but not "in your face, big with flavors", but it actually is at the same time. It was almost too sweet for me at times, like the brewer intentionally added as many core ingredients to the beer before turning this liquid into a solid!

Wow, lots going on, recommended. (1,782 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%

Sampled at GABF on 9/18/2010. This Imperial Stout pours a deep black color from the tap. Medium sized tan foamy head. The aroma is chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla and woody with some alcohol. A full bodied Imperial Stout. A VERY BIG Imperial Stout. The malts are chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, some bourbon and some cherry. The hops are herbal. This beer has a big alcohol presence, I mean a whole lot of alcohol, the first sip and smell are dominated by the alcohol, after that the other flavors start coming through. There is a nice mix of malts, sweetness, vanilla and wood going on here, once you get past the big alcohol blast. This beer has an awesome potential for aging. It is very good now, but a couple or five years of bottle aging would make this beer even more amazing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet. (881 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark black with some gorgeous reddish tints on the edges, a touch of off white head. Very Solid thick appearance. Smells incredibly sweet and chocolatey. Tons of brown sugar o the nose. Tastes like chocolate syrup and brown sugar! Tons and tons of sweetness. Very sweet and overpowering but incredibly drinkable for being 18.2%. Surprisingly drinkable.. (366 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%

After having a (really, really) small sample at the HTOD, I was able to try this again at a more formal tasting where I got a good amount to taste.

Pours a deep brown/black- with a small head. Smell is ok- nothing exceptional- strong roasted wood smell coupled with some chocolate and molasses.

Taste is great- You can taste the bourbon paired with the chocolate and it goes together very very well. However my only qualm is that for a thick looking beer it drinks very very thin and makes for a average mouthfeel. However this does help cover the massive ABV.

Overall I was slightly disappointed with this beer- with all this hype I was expecting a mental/sensory explosion- needless to say, I didn't get it.

11/15/2012 *Update*
Now I've had this more than several times, I'm inclined to bump up the scoring. When this first came out, there was this massive aura of HYPE WHALZ around this and it negatively impacted how I , along with several other people viewed tis beer. As it has progressed through the years and lessened that hypeness, it has grown to hold its own among other great BA imperial stouts and I can safety say it's a beer I'd seek out. (1,159 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Small amount had at the recent BA tasting in Portland. Someone earlier described this beer as liquid chocolate cake and I think that was my experience as well. There was almost no alcohol present in the nose, and exceptionally well hidden in the beer, where I also became another one of the people wondering how that happens at 19%. Everything else I have ever had in that range had an alcohol burn even after a few years of aging, but this didn't at all. The taste REALLY fills every corner of the mouth with a chewy sticky sweetness that is balanced by enough barrel flavors to keep it more than pleasant. The mouthfeel was the most memorable component of the beer for me.

No way could anyone really enjoy a full bottle of this alone, so how about crowing Black Tuesday the best beer of all time in a new "dinner party dessert beer" category? (846 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a black color with a dark cocoa head. Head fades away to a small ring of bubbles.

S- Very wonderful smell and a lot going on here. Woody, sweet malts, bit of vanilla, caramel and molasses. Some chocolate and alcohol here too.

T- A nice mix of flavors sweet malts, vanilla, chocolate, figs, black licorice and caramel. The alcohol is here but not nearly as strong as I expected.

M- Very full in body and low carbonation. Almost like syrupy too.

D- Fairly easy to drink maybe just a little too sweet for me tastes but still solid. Split this one with a great group of guys at DLD. (593 characters)

Served in a snifter

Thanks to hayesez for this beer from the Beer Name Puzzle LIF!!!

This beer pours a decently black brown with a little bit of beige head up front. This beer is nice and bourbon and fruity esters on the nose. The oak flavor mixed with caramel and brown sugar work really well with this. I'm truly enjoying this beer, I wish I had the willpower to have aged this at least a year because the high ABV is still running a little hot. I still have no problem enjoying this beer and drinking it with my many friends. (530 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a bottle into my Orval tulip.

This is a black as night beer with a small brown head that didn't leave any lacing. Smells of burnt char and nice chocolate. This drinks exceptionally smooth and well and awesomely drinkable for a 20% beer (this was the 2009 bottle).

I like this beer and would like to drink some more of it, but you really want to have someone around to help share it with as it will mess you up. (424 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -3.6%

2011 bottle, shared 4 ways.

Black body, mild tan head, average lace. Mildly carbonated. Complex aroma: roasty malts, caramel, toffee, plenty of booze, vanilla, and chocolate.

Roasty with lots of malty sweetness. Torrents of caramel, toffee, vanilla, and chocolate amidst the boozy background. Turns sweeter and more boozy as it warms. Still plenty of fermentable sugars present; this beer will be awesome in a year or two.

The 2010 BT we had a few weeks back alongside Chocolate Rain was a significantly better beer. I won't be opening my other 2011s for at least 1.5 years. Great potential, needs time! (606 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A must-try, just make sure you have someone/s to share it with! Had the 2012 on 11/14/14

After having had the 2014 recently, I'll add that the aging really cut through the heat for me and made this a really enjoyable beer. Love it fresh too, it's just a lot. (261 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -3.6%

Had on tap at The Bruery.
It's an Imperial Stout and 19.5%! It poured pitch black, hence the name, and smelled of: vanilla, dark chocolate, malt and bourbon. It tasted like molasses, brown sugar, chocolate malt, prunes, raisins, espresso, slight anise and an oaky bourbon finish, which actually wasn't that strong of an alcohol burn considering it's 19.5%! All in all, it was delicious. (386 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Holy crap, huge beer (2012 vintage). First time with the BT. Weren't sure what to expect when we cracked this, after a few whiffs and a couple of sips, cracked the benchmark by which I compare all BA Stouts to - BCBS. While the BCBS (2012) got the BT today in smoothness, drinkability, overall experience, the BT was damn good, albeit, HOT! I would go as far as to say, as big as it is today, it may have more potential than BCBS in the future. The BCBS is just so damn good right now. Glad we have a few bottles of the BT to age, look forward to revisiting in 12-18 months. We should have sat on this one longer, but glad we tried it. (635 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -3.8%

750ml poured into a tulip. Split with russwbeck and tasted side-by-side with Chocolate Rain. Epic.

A - Living up to its name, Black Tuesday is black. Shiny, glossy, foreboding black. A surprising amount of carbonation and bubbles can be seen slowly rising up the sides of the glass, continuously feeding and resupplying the tan head, which peaks at around a finger in height but slowly receding to about a half-finger cap that lasts forever. It is surprisingly noticeably darker than Chocolate Rain, which takes on a ruddy brown color in comparison.

S - In comparison to Chocolate Rain and going back and forth, Black Tuesday actually comes across as significantly less bold and in your face. The chocolate and roast are still key components here, though the chocolate is less sweet, but with the less ostentatious aroma comes a little bit more mellow aroma in terms of anise and alcohol. It's hard to say which one is actually 'better' as they are two different beasts.

T - The minute this liquid hits my lips, it's memorable. This instantly rockets to the top of my list of sweetest stouts, fighting neck and neck with Three Floyds' Dark Lord. I don't really get as much bourbon as I thought I would in the front, but there is some in the finish and underneath everything. A little bit of char and liquid smoke, and exceptionally malty. Slight bits of anise, and a surprising amount of dark fruits to add to it. Like sugar-coated, alcohol-soaked fruit. To wrap everything up is a warming alcohol that is always on the mind, but not constantly nagging with its astringency.

M - Mouthfeel is heavy-bodied with decent carbonation. Thick and offensively bold, Black Tuesday invades the palate and infests it with a syrupy feel that weighs heavily on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. The sweetness and alcohol heat keeps it from being on par with Chocolate Rain, but it is still very much up there in terms of imperial stouts. Probably doesn't come across as much as the ABV would suggest, but it is noticeable. Although I am drinking half a bottle of this and half a bottle of Chocolate Rain side-by-side, I couldn't imagine drinking a whole bottle of this alone, but Chocolate Rain would probably be feasible. (2,226 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -3.8%

Must say this was as good as advertised...

Beautiful Big Black Pour with an amazing nose!!

Sweet sweet bourbon in this bad boy. From the nose to the taste.. Big and Bold but also extremely smooth. Warming all over !!!

VEry good beer...So glad i was able to try this one! (273 characters)

Black Tuesday from The Bruery